Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
My plan to have salmon went down the drain. I left the salmon on the counter to defrost. I left it out too long and it was completely defrosted but not too cold anymore so I didn't want to risk it.

So instead I made a big batch of cauliflower with coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Sort of like a dairy-free cauliflower and cheese. Turned out pretty yummy. I also made bean soup and roasted chickpeas. The cauliflower will make a nice quick breakfast during the week.

Dak, my hands hurt too when I eat wheat. And I never learn. Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely. I had off this past week too and it's depressing to go back tomorrow lol. I know I should be glad I have a job but it sure is nice to be able to hang with the pooches and putz around the house.

Now I have to gear up for Christmas. I bought a total of 1 gift so far and there's less than a month to go! Starting to panic a wee bit, heehee.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am doing Atkins 72 on my UD's for awhile so I can keep myself under control. All of those craft shows with candy, cookies, cakes, pies etc are not doing me any favors. ( am only a couple of pounds up but don't want it to go any higher.
kritter - I hear you on going back to work. I worked two half days this week and did as much work as staying all day. I might just consider doing that every time.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Hey Adi, can you share some of your will power with me? It seems whatever is put in front of me, I've been eating.

DH is flying to Hawaii to help his brother, (who is just out of the hospital). I'm hoping that living by myself for a while will get me back into a healthier cycle.

We were supposed to get a new roof put on next week, but now I don't want the work done w/o DH supervising... hope we can still schedule it for the following week and that the weather holds up.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I realized if I kept up the desserts I could be up 10 pounds by the new year soooooo it is reel it in time. I did great yesterday and of course today is a DD. I am finding that HB patties and pickles makes a very good lunch but I had a sweet potato for dinner last night but that was all. I was down after an UD so that is good. That and having to get out a size of pants that I had not had to wear for a year helped.
It is going to freeze here for 4 days straight so my plants won't survive that and I have to go set up for a craft show tomorrow for Sat and Sun. I am so far behind but slowly catching up.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 12-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a good eating day yesterday, and had one of those ever-elusive "whooses". Down 4 pounds, now just a couple of pounds to be back pre-thanksgivng weight.

29 degrees here. Our pipes stayed frozen all day yesterday. When I came home from work last night I tried starting the laundry. No water. In the house there's water but very little pressure. I checked our new pressure pump, looks good, so I called our repair guy that kept saying that sometimes the pipes stay in the shade all day and never thaw out. We've been here over 3 years now, that's never happened before. I'm guessing because it was a very sudden drop in temp.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was wrong, it wasn't our pipes, our new pump blew the fuse, so the breaker just had to be reset. The gauge froze, so it was stuck at 67%, very misleading. I was happy to pay our well guy for such an easy fix, in my mind I was looking at $$$$ to replace burst pipes so $$ was a relief.

I grew a Portuguese cabbage this year, couve trunchuta, that's a step between kale and cabbage. I made a really nice soup yesterday with it, now I'm all set for lunches this week. Renee's Garden Seeds: Renee's Blog: Soups from the Portuguese Kitchen and Garden
Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did a TON of online Christmas shopping yesterday at Amazon and Coldwater Creek, and also picked up some pretty scarves from our little down town shopping district. I feel so relieved to get that done. I still have to get something for my nephews and a few other males and of course can't think of a thing. It's such a shame that tickets to sporting events are so expensive, otherwise I'd get them all Phillies or Flyers tickets. They all may wind up with gift cards.

Dak, did you get your water back? How do you prevent the pipes from freezing? It's so nice of your DH to go to help his brother out. I hope he's okay and I hope DH won't be gone for too long.

Adi, what's happening with DS's house? Or maybe I shouldn't ask. If you don't want to talk about it I understand.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Too funny, we were both writing at the same time^^^

Christmas shopping online is the absolute best thing ever. I love getting packages in the mail. I did a little cyber Monday Black Friday shopping.

Now, I've found something for me, that I'm trying unsuccussfully to talk myself out of.
Salt water pearl earrings. Sigh
Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mmm dak, that soup looks really good.

I'm so glad your pipes are okay!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Dak, I know what you mean. Whenever I shop, I want everything I see I want to keep half of the scarves I bought because they're so pretty!

My only concern is that a lot of the packages are due to arrive on the same day and I can't be home. I heard there was a couple that was driving around following the Fedex truck and was stealing the packages they left. So now I'm a little concerned. I have a vestibule that they usually leave the packages in so they're not sitting out in the open, but still it's a little worrying.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi all. Back from my weekend craft show. Did alright and being inside was nice. I signed up for next year and picked a booth against the wall with a door next to it so I have a corner and an electric plug. All at a discount since I signed up early. I had two ladies come back today that bought from me yesterday to stock up as they loved what they bought. Gotta love those repeat customers.
kritter - DS is a homeowner as of Friday. We went to the local bank and they loaned up the rest of the down payment on a short term loan using my CD and a truck as collateral but we are STILL dealing with our re-financing.
Dak - Another plant to look up that I might like to grow. Glad your pipes did not freeze. We have had a few freeze in the old trailer house before since the plumbing in underneath.
Still cold here and it is supposed to hit us with another winter storm Monday evening. I don't like cold.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad your show went well, Adi. Nice that you're able to pick a good spot for next year. Location really does make a difference.

Cold here today. Had to go out and water DH's plants, I wore two layers, (good ole UnderAmour) my down coat, hat, gloves and two activated hand warmers. (I really didn't want to go outside, so nice and warm by the fire). Thankfully it rained a bit yesterday, because DH's hose setup burst and it's beyond my pay grade to fix it for him.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Hi All

Dak- Sorry to hear your BIL is not well! SO nice of DH to go to help him out!

Adi- great news about DS and the house! And repeat customers! Clearly you have a great product!

Hi Krit! I am envious of your shopping so far! I am WAY behind! I dont even think I will do Christmas cards this year!

Tomorrow my two Guardian classes are in family court. I have a Merits hearing and a pre trial... Nervous and excited to get my feet wet!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BIL is back in the hospital, I just got off the phone with DH, he sounds so stressed. He's not used to interfacing with medical people, he says they all sound like they're repeating a script. BIL contracted thrush while in the hospital, so is incredibly weak and not able to eat. Should not have been discharged the first time w/o a plan.

Lil Miss, your Guardian work is sounding very intense. Good luck with your first trial, I hope it goes well!

Still cold there, Adi? I'm wishing a nice wet warm tropical storm would blow in from Hawaii, this arctic weather is chilling me to the bone.

Kritter, do you do Christmas trees? Wondering how your dogs would do with a inside tree?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - So sorry to hear your BIL is not doing well. So many sick people around Christmas.
lilmiss - I haven't had time to look up what you are doing but I am glad you have something to work toward with the boys all in school.
kritter - Hope the doggies are well and staying warm.

I received my Baker Heirloom Seed catalog yesterday. Think I will ask Santa for seeds.
I ended up with what I am calling my rescue goat. I bought a doeling from NY that was delivered to KY and was delivered to TX by someone that lives about 60 miles from me. Someone else in TX also bought one. My goat is doing great but the other people had problems. The doe got pneumonia and they took her to a vet and he told them she had lice too. They did not treat her and she just went downhill so I got her. Treated her for lice, put a goat coat on her and after three days in the milkroom she is out with the other does her age and size and doing great. I can't understand why someone would not treat an animal for lice. It is simple. Just powder them. With transport they paid over $700 for this animal. I sent a picture to the breeder and she was crying when she called me since the poor thing was so skinny. Weighed over 70 pounds when she left NY and now weighed only 46 pounds. She is eating well though and is very sweet so I think she will be fine.
I weighed 139 this morning after an UD so I am back to my true maintenance weight. NO SUGAR and I can stay here. LOL I have to make some candy so I am doing it on a DD so I will not have any.

Last edited by adillenal; 12-11-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got my Bakers creek catalog yesterday too, it's huge this year!! I love looking at seed catalogs.

I'm so glad you rescued that poor goat, I hope those people get black listed from potential sellers, if you're going to have animals, we have a responsibility to reasonably take care of them.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay Adi, I'm so glad you got that goat. And she's glad too! Poor thing.

lil miss, I've skipped sending cards for a few years. I don't feel obligated to send them each year. How did it go in court?

Dak, we get a real tree. I'm going to get one this year and put a baby gate around it. I'm just afraid these stupid dogs will get bored and decide to chew on some of the ornaments. And we're going to put it in the living room. When the dogs are home alone, I put them in the family room so they won't have a lot of opportunity to be tempted by the tree.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Here is my rescue goat. White Oak Bend Dairy Goats - Blog
She is doing great. If the sun is out tomorrow I am going to see if I can take her coat off for awhile but it is supposed to rain and if so I won't bother .
Had a very high calorie day so I will have to work hard to drop all of the water weight. My socks are already binding so I can imagine what the scale will say tomorrow. But that pizza sure was good at lunch.
I am shopping in my Baker Creek catalog. Making my list.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, I know you said you isolated your new girl in your milk room, but does simply powdering her keep the rest of your herd from contracting it? Doesn't it get in their bedding? Great story about the other goats not hassling her, the word is out, don't bother Darlene's magic coat, it comes with alfalfa!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Lice are really easy to control. Powdering once is enough. And having lice on animals in the winter is pretty common. It was rough on her since she was so thin and had a LOT of lice. In the spring when the animals are clipped controls them too with the sunshine. I usually powder all of mine if I find one with lice. But since she came in and wasn't with any of the rest and was powdered first thing and I washed her coat and dried it and put it back on her the next day so we should be good.
And I use a dry manure pack rather than bedding. I know that probably sounds odd but it is warm and doesn't have to be cleaned out and changed. Our weather is usually mild and we rarely get cold like the past couple of weeks. They like to sleep outside unless it is raining.
Goats are smart whe they want to be. LOL
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought you guys might enjoy this. It's a video of dogs afraid to walk past their cats. Compilation Of Scaredy Dogs Terrified Of Walking Past Cats [VIDEO] | Most Watched Today | The Best Online Videos

The one with the corgi was so funny, watching the cat's head going back and forth watching the dog.

Adi, I'm so glad your rescue is bouncing back.

I was off today and planned on getting a lot of shopping done but I had to take Jersey to the vet because she's limping really bad. I was afraid she tore something. They did an xray and bloodwork to rule out torn ligments and lyme. DH thinks she may have slipped on the ice and hurt something. So I have her on Rimadyl. She looks like Tiny Tim hopping around but it's amazing how good she gets around without putting any weight on it. But geting up the stairs is tough.

Gotta go clean up. We're going out to dinner with another couple and I need to clean in case they come back afterwards.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That was funny!

The corgi was a trip, mumbling curses back and forth as it paces, LOL.

I hope Jersey's OK, ice is treacherous, I slipped and fell twice on ice while I was hiking in Yosemite, I was lucky each time, no bruises, but potentially not good.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed it Dak. Yeah, the corgi and it's cat cracked me up lol.

Jersey is doing so much better this morning. And the funny thing is she slept until 7:45! I think the rimadyl is doing wonders for her. She's still limping but is so much better than she was yesterday.

We're waiting for a big snow storm to hit. DH better get up soon because I want to go get the tree before it gets bad.

Since it's going to be stuck in the house today, I thought I'd try to get the decorating and wrapping done. Maybe I'll even get on the treadmill
Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

I froze all day yesterday at an outdoor show. It was supposed to be "mostly sunny" and the mid fifties. It was 48, no sun and 20 MPH winds. Not fun. Sold about half what I usually do at the December show. Now I have extra stock so I will really pack my craft mall booth full next week as well as make up some gift baskets for my very few employees.
Sami (dachshund) is driving me crazy wanting to sit in my lap while I am on the computer since DS lets her do that while he is playing video games. I can't see through her head. LOL
We are still in limbo about closing our loan. So who knows. The local bank said they will do it if this one falls through so it really doesn't matter I guess. Would just like to get it behind me.
Survey will be ready Dec 20 so we have that regardless.
krittter - glad the pooch is better. I am glad we have not had icy surfaces for me to break my neck on since we have concrete front and back.
Dak - I ended up with 6 heritage collard plants and they sure are slow growing. I planted in October and they are just now getting close to producing enough leaves for maybe one serving. That will be for me. LOl
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning! Do you have any of your facial soap, Adi?

I planted my greens last spring, thinking they'd be producing a lot sooner than now. I actually had to cover the couve tronchuta, I thought all greens did well in cold weather but apparently it doesn't like it as cold as it's been getting (17 degrees last week, burrrrr).

DH is back, now I'm no longer responsible for watering his plants. I haven't told him yet, some of them look like they died in the frost. I hate that it happened on my watch.

It's time to go back to DD's again. Tomorrow it begins.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak- it wasn't supposed to freeze last night but the water buckets had a thin sheet of ice on top this morning. SO much for weather forecasts these days. My chard and collards have survived the freezes so far, And I have facial soap. Out of beer soap though which surprised me as I didn't remember selling that much.
Have the crock pot full of pork for DH and I am cooking HB patties for me since it is a DD.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yipppeee! What is the best way to order?

I'm making Caldo Verde again, DS tried it last night and thought it was the best soup I've ever made. (maybe because for all of his childhood I was a vegetarian occasional chicken fish eater, and Caldo Verde is made with pork linquica, LOL).

One more week of work, then 2 weeks off!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mmm Dak, I have to check out the recipe for Caldo Verde. Sounds good. Yay for you having 2 weeks off!

Adi, you poor thing, freezing at the show. It's especially tough when you have to stay in one place and not move around.

I'm off this Friday and then next week the only day I work is Christmas Eve. Then the next week I'm only working Monday and Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to having this time off.

So our book club is back to the original 4 plus my sister-in-law. The 5 of us went to dinner tonight to kick it off. I'm really excited. We're planning on meeting for book club every 2 months and in the off months, either do a day trip locally(museum, restaurant, show, etc) and then maybe taking a few weekend trips. The one that came up tonight was to Tarrytown/Sleepy Hallow. We might do that in the spring. It's so much easier to plan these things with 5 people. When it was 10 people, we could never get a day or weekend that was good for everyone, so we wound up never planning anything.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - the facial soap is listed on my website so you could order off there. It is on the soap page about 4 items down. No picture.
Did milk test today. I will be down to 2 milkers in another month. That should be fast.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

We got our closing costs in the mail today. Have no idea if that means we are really closing on Friday or not. The survey is supposed to be delivered to the title company Friday too. The survey co has never even told me how to pay them. Oh well, this might actually come to a close soon.
DS sent me a picture of his Christmas decoration in his new house. It is a single Christmas stocking hung on his mantel. One of those really cheapie ones too. Looks like my decorating talents were handed down nicely to DS. LOL.
Closed Thread