Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
End of the year Mega-Challenge!

Halloween isn't until the 31st, but all that candy started hitting the shelves on the 1st. Year after year it's the same story - You're doing great all year long, you've made tremendous progress. That's when that first bag of fun-sized snickers hits the house. Maybe some Rolos and Kit Kats on the side. One or two here or there won't hurt, right? Besides, it's a tradition.

By the end of October, you're in a full-time backslide, but you'll get back on the pony after Thanksgiving. It gives you an excuse to enjoy some potatoes with your family without feeling bad about it.

Thanksgiving rolls by and the stress of the holiday season kicks in. You do NOT want to deal with carb flu with the spectre of Christmas hanging over your head like the sword of Damocles. Two more weeks and you've been invited to your closest friend's New Year's Eve party. There's no way you're going to miss any sugar at THAT event.

Finally, you wake up - hungover and filled with regret. January first - Noon. And you've annihilated most or all of the progress you worked so hard for the year before.

If weight loss was a sport, this next three months would be the championships.

So I'm holding myself to a challenge: Not only will I not gain weight between now and 1/1/2014 -- I intend to lose weight between now and then. It'll be just like starting the new year with a three month head start.

It's not a challenge without scorekeeping, a goal, and accountability.

As of today, I weigh 262 pounds. If I weigh more than 260 on January 1st 2014 - I'll shave off my eyebrows, and upload the video of me doing it.

I don't expect anyone else to hold themselves to that. For your challenge, you can make up your own goofy penalty - or not. It's just more fun for me if I've got some skin in the game.

Are you up to the challenge?
8/8/2014: 275 - time to recover lost ground

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.
Z is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
As I write this post there are 3 jumbo bags of chocolate wonderfulness in the room we call my wifeís craft room. The door is closed and I never go in there. I know they are there because I bought them at Costco. As long as the bags are in there and not opened I will have no problem but if I know that one of them has been breached I will be in trouble.

We live in a neighborhood that has hundreds of trick-or-treaters so we either darken the house or load up on candy. There is a part of me that says giving candy to kids is wrong but itís once a year and I know when I was a kid, many many years ago, we had a ball on Halloween night.

And what is it with Snickers? They are like crack to me. Once I start I canít stop and the next thing I know Iím eating Kit-Kats, Almond Joys, M&Mís and anything else --except for Skittles. I hate Skittles. I should buy only Skittles and I would never be tempted. In the past I would give out all of the candy I didnít like first just incase we had some left at the end of the night. That way the only candies left were the ones I like.

I have gotten through the last two Halloweens without cracking but it is very difficult. So I will have to gird my loins, whatever the hell that means, and get through another. And then Iíll think about Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Now as far as shaving my eyebrowsÖthat might make my barber happy since I swear he spends more time trimming them, than he does my hair or beard, but I look weird enough, so that out. I will have to give some thought on what my penalty might be if I fall of the low carb wagon. Since I turned 64 last week I will go easy on myself. I know I just played the old man card but itís the only one I got.

Thanks for making the challenge. Itís nice to know there are others around who are fighting the fight.
I wonít define myself by a disease.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Z
Senior LCF Member

Great to have you onboard, Ralph!

The eyebrow thing is just for me... The natural consequence of going on a three month eating binge is penalty enough.

;^)
Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: binkamom
Stats: 235/226/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2014
Count me in!

I am committing myself to making certain that I do not start 2014 weighing even an ounce more than I do at present! I registered my weight on a popular phone app last August and, although I lost 20+ lbs though out the year - I wound up back where I started from - only worse - I had actually gained 5lbs overall - a pretty dismal result anyway you look at it. My diet was based on a low calorie regime, until my finance decided to purchase every pint of Ben and Jerry's Carmel Sutra ice cream he could get his hands on this past summer - I believe I can directly point to that and my family's love of taco bell as the source for my expanding hips and behind!!! Fortunately I LOVE to cook so I have been making yummy LC food for the past week (or so) and will continue to do so. I am excited by this challenge and am looking forward to seeing all of us make strides toward our individual goals! As far as my personal challenge goes - if by some horrible happenstance - I actually gain weight, I will paint my finger nails blue (or some other equally hideous color) and were it for at least 3 days. Ick - I'll be watching my carbs!
binkamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Z
Senior LCF Member

Wow - we've got a real strong Arizona Crowd here. ;^)

Great to have you on board Binkamom!
You'll do great.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Hi all! I've been crazy busy this week but I thought I'd grab a few minutes to post here! I've been doing good sticking with low carb but then again I've only been recommitted to this WOE for 2 weeks. When I weighed myself on Sunday I was down 7lbs which was encouraging! At least my pants don't feel like they are trying to choke me to death.

Right now I am in the process of smoking about 7 lbs of salmon for a luncheon tomorrow. My work group has a lunch every month and this was my month to arrange for the food. I wanted to be able to eat so I am catering the lunch myself and serving smoked salmon Caesar salad with seasoned almonds in place of croutons. I'm serving breadsticks and cheesecake as well but I can resist those temptations by serving myself more salmon

Hope you are also doing well - looking forward to hearing about your progress!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
Z
Senior LCF Member

Hardest part of smoking salmon? Keeping them lit.

I started this thing out at 262, and so far I'm down to 256.6. An auspicious start, to be sure - but I'm still only a single slice of pizza away from a complete backslide.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
Hardest part of smoking salmon? Keeping them lit.
That's funny!

I had a little challenge this week. Monday I weighed 157 and Tuesday I weighed 163. After reweighing twenty times, I went over everything I'd eaten (like I wouldn't have noticed eating an extra 17,000 calories) and nothing was out of the ordinary. I even went and checked the bags of candy to see if I had attacked them while sleeping. Nope they were intact.

Thank goodness I have read about other people on the forum experiencing the same thing. I wrote it off to water. I've had it happen in the past but never a 5 pound gain in one day. This morning I was down to 161 and was ok with that.

I don't think I will ever get out of the mind set that I must have done something really wrong to caused it. The logical part of my brain say it's ok and will work itself out. The other part of my brain says "holy crap, what did you do to yourself this time."

Maybe I needed the experience so I will be sure to give out all of the bite sized snickers out first and hold back the skittles.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Z
Senior LCF Member

Hmm... Maybe we should do a weekly weigh-in in this thread - just to keep it interesting. Everyone's schedule is different, so feel free to pick your favorite day to weigh. Or don't weigh. There aren't really any rules here.

Thanks to my insane schedule, today is a good day to check in, as it is effectively my second Saturday (I work 4 10s, and trade my Wednesday for an extra Saturday).

As of today, I'm hitting the ground at 253.6 pounds. My lowest weight so far.

This brings me to the goal I set above - if I gain any weight between October 1 and January 1, My eyebrows pay the price. 260, specifically was the mark I set for myself. I generally try to avoid moving the goalposts in order to redefine victory - this is how people try to turn "I only gained 30 pounds" into a win even though the original goal was "gain no weight". That said, there is one exception to this rule: It is perfectly acceptable to push the goalposts further away. This doesn't redefine victory, because the new goal contains the old goal.

On the first of each month, I am going to weigh in. If I gain weight between any two months, I lose. Additionally, my weight on the first of every month will replace 260 as the number that I need to beat on January 1.

This means I can't gain weight in November, and make it up in December. I'm not merely competing against a static number (A number I've already surpassed comfortably), but instead will be required not to lose any ground to whatever progress I make between now and then.

It's not good enough for me simply not to gain weight - I need to maintain my progress, as well.

Of course changing the rules mid-game can only apply to me. You can make up whatever rules make this more fun for you.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: China Doll
Stats: 220.5/211.5/150
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: October 13, 2008
I'm in. I will post a weight tomorrow when I get a new lithium battery for my scale and use that as the marker.

I know that we can do this--and "Z", I want you to have eyebrows going into 2015. They are so expressive. I totally agree with you that we are all just one slice of pizza or one Snickers (my fav too) away from total disaster.
China Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Z
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for stopping by, China Doll! I'm glad to see that we've finally branched out beyond Arizona.

I'm going to let you in on a secret about my eyebrows -- I think you will find that they are quite intact on January first.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Add me to the list, I am totally in!

I have a goal to be down at least another 15lbs by Dec. 31 so I'll use that here. I need to come up with my "consequence" still... Not so sure about the eyebrow thing...I already kinda have to fill mine in everyday as it is, it wouldn't be much of a punishment
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammi
Stats: 261/225/140
Start Date: July 2013
I am in too. My weight now is 233. I have to think about , no I know what I will do if I fail at this challenge . I HATE having my picture taken, especially since I have put so much weight on. I will have my picture taken and post it on this thread. I am shaking just thinking about it. It's like a phobia with me. This should keep me on track. Thank you Z for the challenge . Good Luck to all we can do it!!

2014. HERE WE COME!
Sammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Z
Senior LCF Member

And, of course - just as a reminder - the real penalty is that familiar disappointment of looking at the scale on January 1st. I added a penalty just to make it fun for me, and to give myself something tangible to avoid.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Z, totally get it and I love the idea.. that's why I need something to have over my head I get excited at the idea of having zero regrets (not even a letter ) when the new year starts!!!

Last edited by DesertGurl; 10-26-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Old 10-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kath17
Stats: 415/261.4/240
Start Date: May 12, 2013
I'd like to hop onboard as well. I dread the whole month of october because this has always been the one time of year I could buy bags of candy and not feel guilty about it. Only to have to re-buy more candy at a different store so I could still have something for the trick or treaters. Ths year I'm not tempting myself and haven't gone to any drug stores to have to see all that candy and won't be giving candy out this year.

I've worked to lose weight in the past, but always start seriously struggling at the 6 month mark. I've never made it to the eight month mark. I'm coming up on the 6 month mark in a couple of weeks and am dedictated to making it through successfully and at the very least getting as close to 100lbs gone by January 1st (26 lbs to go to reach that milestone).

I cant think of a reward or consequence for myself at the moment, but feeling better, having more energy and being able to get around better are definitely rewards from losing weight. Come to think of it staying on plan through the holidays would be quite an accomplishment and reward in its own right.

Kathy
Kath17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I get it Z. I know the biggest penalty will be the disappointment in not succeeding. Every New Years my wish for the new year is too lose weight and start a diet. This New Year my celebration will be losing over 50 pounds(maybe more) and still going strong.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
I get it Z. I know the biggest penalty will be the disappointment in not succeeding. Every New Years my wish for the new year is too lose weight and start a diet. This New Year my celebration will be losing over 50 pounds(maybe more) and still going strong.
Just imagining how amazing it will feel to know you accomplished that before the beginning of the year! I've got a goal of 50 by next April and then possibly seeing goal by next Oct... I was thinking this morning how freakin amazing it will feel to be going into next holiday quite possibly being in maintenance. Very motivating!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
I would love to join in on this challenge too! =D I went to the daily weighers thread and then realized I only had 4 days of the OCT log to go. So I'll start the next cycle! =P I'm also dreading the holidays.... I want to challenge myself to plow through them.
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Give me strength

The bags of candy are open and the kids are starting to come trick and treating. I swear when I opened the first bag my mouth started to water. Three hours to go. I'll let you know how I do.

One of the problems with maintaince is I keep thinking I could have a snack sized snickers and not die. NO NO NO!!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Z
Senior LCF Member

It's halloween and I sit .6 pounds away from hitting the 100 pounds lost mark. My proximity to one of my major milestones keeps me strong, for now. It is difficult, but we can do this.

From here on out, it only gets harder. A candy bar is tempting, but potatoes, stuffing, homemade rolls, and gravy are tradition. This is only practice for the real test.

I wish all of you all of the success in the world, over these coming holidays.

Last edited by Z; 10-31-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: China Doll
Stats: 220.5/211.5/150
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: October 13, 2008
Okay, it's November 1 and I'm ready to work this challenge. I did not have any candy for Halloween, so I see Thanksgiving as the next big day. Frankly, I'm more concerned that I have been 211.5 and 212.5 for the last eight days. I'm going a bit crazy with that--but I'll just have to deal with it.

I'm going to try several things--one at a time. My first step is to get a little more active. As of today, I'm going to try walking a bit each day. If that works, fine! Then I won't have to push some of my other ideas. My second step will be to give up diet soda--that won't be terrible--but it is a little pleasure that I have allowed my self. The third step will be to give up caffeine. That will be huge--I drink 2-3 coffee a day and I love them. I am determined and I want to start the new year in Twoderland!

Thanks for setting up this thread. It will help!

Z you are amazing. I read the total Shark Sandwich saga--and it is inspirational.
China Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

China Doll, hang in there. I sat between 240-241 for 10 days. The body will do what it wants to do when it wants to do it. Unfortunately for us! Just stay the course and the weight will drop!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Z
Senior LCF Member

Aww shucks

That story has plenty of faceplanting. No doubt there will be more in the future. It has taken me 14 months to get halfway home. I'd be a lot closer if it wasn't for some of those detours I took on the way.

A year is a long time. I believe that anyone who is prepared to study, to understand their metabolism, to read every label, to experiment with an open mind, to listen to the results they don't want to believe, and above all stay absolutely dedicated to their process over long periods of time will see the results they want to see - and some they were not expecting.

The only difference between me then and me now is a new set of habits, a relinquishment of old habits, and 14 months.

I am grateful for the opportunity to be part of your process.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Back on track!
Stats: 400/267.8/150
WOE: Max 30 carbs
Start Date: January 2011
Joining in :)

Well, I know I need to focus and I'm very human and need help Yall are great for that. My personal goal for 12/31 is to be 250. Today I started T25 (a very modified version, granted, but I did start!) I've done my meal plan, my exercise plan and now joined the challenge! Good luck to everyone and look out 12/31, HERE WE COME!

11/1 - 275.8
Back on track! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

It was a Happy Halloween!

So nice to see so many new faces here!

I have been crazy busy and hadn't had the chance to post my progress but now that I have a minute I can report that I have been eating lowcarb for 30 consecutive days and am down 10.5lbs. My clothes already fit better and I feel terrific!

I am also happy to say that I made it through yesterday without allowing a single piece or taste of candy to pass my lips! I brought candy to work for my team and sat outside and passed out candy to the neighborhood kids. (feeling a little guilty about giving them all that sugar) but I had a blast and the only time I was even tempted was when I opened a bad of candy bars and the smell of them hit me - smell is one powerful sense!

I took today off from work and am planning to head up north to the Show Low area which should be familiar to the AZ folks. My fiance lives in an A-frame cabin up there and it is a nice weekend getaway! He is a diabetic and eating this way is excellent for his health too!

Hope you all have a terrific weekend!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Have a great weekend, Binkamom! Congrat's on your losses so far, that's amazing!

Back On Track~ that number can be YOURS! We're all here to support you in any way we can!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Back on track!
Stats: 400/267.8/150
WOE: Max 30 carbs
Start Date: January 2011
How is everyone doing on the challenge? My goal is 250 by the end of the year and I'm currently at 267.4 sooo only 17.4 lbs to go!
Back on track! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

So far I am following the path. I have challenged myself to being 20 pounds down ,so that would bring me to 213.

Starting weight 233
Goal weight. 213

Halloween is over, next hurdle- Thanksgiving. This is the first of the Trifecta.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #30
Z
Senior LCF Member

Wow - A lot of new faces in here over the last week or two!

I suppose I should post my quasi-weekly accountability...

10/5 - 262
10/17 - 256.6
10/31 - 250.6
11/5 - 249.4