Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
anyone want to give up "sweet" with me?

I have been having a pretty hard time staying on plan these last couple of months, so I decided to take the plunge and see if giving up all sweets would make a difference to me. I put stevia or splenda in practically everything I eat -- tuna salad, chili, salad dressing, everything. So, I am gonna see what life is like w/o it. I'm really hoping that it helps me resist the real thing. I haven't had any today or yesterday, so I think I'm really gonna do this... Does anyone wanna join me?
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
This makes me want to cry, but I have been contemplating doing this same thing. So I guess the answer is....yes, I will do it with you. I'm already breaking out in a sweat...I need thirty days of clean eating. I will start tomorrow because I need today to mourn.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
It's a great plan. You'll reset your taste buds and notice the natural sweetness of veggies a lot more. Cravings for sweet will go down. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Not I.. I am not there yet in my head, too many bigger dragons to slay first. But I am interested in how you do on this because it's something I eventually want to achieve also. Keep us posted and good luck!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Yes, you are absolutely right. When I last was on a weight loss tear, I had given up sweeteners.

OK, putting down the stevia! This is the reset button I needed; thanks.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Fortunately I don't like the taste of fake sweenteners.
Wish I could get my DH to give them up.
Think of all the money you won't be spending on nutritionally empty substances.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I did it for the first six months of low carb and I'm so glad I did. I'm not going to lie, it's not easy. Even after I got over the cravings, sometimes I just longed for a break from the bitter flavors. OTOH, my taste buds really woke up and most food tasted so good! And I had far less tolerance and cravings for sweets for a long time after.

I've gone off the rails, so to speak, with too much xylitol and dark chocolate, so I'm right there with you. I'm doing a low carb whole 30 for the month of October, primarily to get away from sweets. So count me in.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
This makes me want to cry, but I have been contemplating doing this same thing. So I guess the answer is....yes, I will do it with you. I'm already breaking out in a sweat...I need thirty days of clean eating. I will start tomorrow because I need today to mourn.
Maybe I will think of this as a 30 day experiment, too, with the caveat that if I manage to make it 30 days, it is probably working and I should stick with it.

I'm gonna go look at the whole30. I have thought about it in the past and thought, nah, can't give up the sweeteners.

I just woke up from a nap and was having a dream that I was eating some ewwy gooey warm pastry thing. I dreamt of cigarettes when I was quitting smoking but I don't recall dreaming of food this way. It's kinda strange bc I didn't think I was obsessing/focusing too much on it. Hmmmm....

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Ack! No whole 30 for me, I need my cheese and HWC. I don't think I can give up coffee this week.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I'm one week in on the Whole30 although I'm not strict low-carb. I do eat fruit and plan on having a sweet potato this weekend. I'm also using the Shangri-La flavorless oil.

All sweeteners are out for me and that's not been too difficult since I had already cut back and was only using stevia and some erythritol but cutting out all dairy is a little harder but I'm doing good so far.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time and money trying to replicate high-carb foods and flavors, like banana, with a vast number of not so good chemicals and artificial ingredients and I finally realized it has to be a whole lot more healthier just to eat a real banana every once in a while.

Last edited by PaminKY; 09-30-2013 at 01:10 PM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Over the years I've spent a lot of time and money trying to replicate high-carb foods and flavors, like banana, with a vast number of not so good chemicals and artificial ingredients and I finally realized it has to be a whole lot more healthier just to eat a real banana every once in a while.
Absolutely! I'm appalled sometimes about what people will eat because it's low carb--sometimes it's not even food.

I'm trying first and foremost to JUST EAT REAL FOOD, and healthy, organic, sustainably produced food at that. Occasionally, I eat the banana too (just this morning, in fact, I had some "banana pancakes" because I won't be able to eat those on Whole 30).

I want this to be sustainable for me, and the only way to do that is to eat for health, first, with weight loss as a nice side effect. 65 lbs so far (but I'm SO stuck!).
Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Even after just a week of no sweeteners I can really tell the change in my tastebuds. I picked up a few of the Whole30 approved Larabars at Kroger the other day and decided to eat one this morning since I had a early doctors appointment and didn't have time to fix any breakfast. The ingredients in the one I tried was dates, pecans and almonds, it tasted so sweet to me I could only eat half.

One thing remember reading about the "bliss point" that food manufacturers try to find so that you will eat more of their product and buy it again and again was that if they went to0 far on the sweetness or made something overly sweet it would be rejected by the consumer. My tastebuds had become so use to sweetness that "overly sweet" was virtually unknown to me, but that's getting better.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
When I started my journey about 5 weeks ago, I cut out ALL sweets. I do not use artificial sweeteners due to personal beliefs. If I even take one bite of those laughing cow flavored cream cheese wedges (i.e. cinnamon or strawberry), I find myself CRAVING sweets. I only did that twice, and I know I cannot do it anymore. Its too strong of a feeling and I don't like that feeling. Plus, those things taste so ridiculously sweet.

Good luck!
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm with you, Rubidoux, no HWC and cheese would be just too much for me too.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Good luck! I stopped all sweeteners well over a year ago and I too find that my taste buds have changed. I don't miss the sweetness at all and I was a sweet junkie!! I still eat dark chocolate but I don't find it causes cravings at all and I don't eat that much of it. I don't eat anything under 85% so I find it a bit more bitter than sweet. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I have three days under my belt now. It's odd, I haven't found it hard and if anything I feel less anxious about food and eating than normal. But I do feel sad about it. Food really has almost no appeal to me if I can't have any sweet at all. I was not eating a lot of sweet, but just about everything I ate had a little sweet to it. I can't think of a single thing w no sweet that sounds really good to me. Right now it feels kind of depressing, but I think the less exciting my food is at this point, the better off I am.

I am finding it a little easier to stick to my one meal a day. Last night I had dinner at about seven and then it didn't even cross my mind to have a snack even though dh and I watched a show together, which is something I associate w a snack.

How're the rest of you doing?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jayne,

Thank you for starting this thread.

Today is my first clean day. I am drinking black coffee, which is OK. All I have to do is dilute it to about 50%, and I am OK with black.

I am with you on this, I am the type that likes to sweeten food, not just drinks. I agree, this stimulates appetite, and food wasn't meant to be like that. I do want to feel the indifference again.

I was doing great before my vacation, but all that eating out has reset my tastebuds and I need to set them back, so thank you again!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I'm happy this was timely for you, Key Tones!

The only thing that I can think of that I like that has no sweet involved whatsoever is buffalo wings and blue cheese, but I don't have any blue cheese. So, for dinner tonight I've had 200 calories worth of guacamole (and I don't love guacamole, although it is of course not too bad on chips, which I didn't have) and 1.5 ounces of cheddar. I have some chicken strips, those already cooked ones, and maybe I'll have some of those with some mustard. Ugh. SO boring! But maybe that's ok.

I feel less volatile vis a vis food somehow. Like I'm less likely to face plant in something I shouldn't have. I think, though, that I'm gonna have a little gymnema just in case.

Cfine, How's it going for you?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My experience may be instructive. I gave up all sweeteners a couple of years ago when I noticed that anything with a sweet taste triggered overeating.

Despite my world-class sweet tooth, I did just fine without any sweets. Then one recent hot day, I was out doing errands and bought a diet soda. No problem. So I gradually increased my consumption of artificial sweeteners, convinced that my years of abstinence had solved my problem and sweet-tasting things would no longer be a problem.

I was deluded, as a day of overeating soon ensued.

I allow myself one day a week to eat higher calories, and I now restrict any sweets to that day. I don't necessarily eat sweets that day, but I do best when I don't say 'never' to myself about any food. But I know that for me 'sweets' need to be controlled.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well...I have wimped out! I just can't wrap my brain around it right now. I am seeing all of these wonderful Fall recipes that I'm wanting to try. Ugh! I know I need to just do it, but I'm struggling just to stay on track right now. I will go for a week or two and do great, then something will be placed before me and I just can't resist, and then the whole binge cycle takes over.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Very interesting, Leo. I have been wondering about whether there would eventually be some sweet creep or if someday I'd be able to have a little bit here and there. I hope that eventually I can do something like you're doing with the once a week without having it all come crashing down. But I do think that should be far off for me, if I manage to get this experiment going at all.

So far, I am very happy with how things are going. There is definitely some melancholy to it, though. I feel a little bit like when I quit smoking, like I've lost a friend. Though, quitting smoking was about a million times harder. Cfine, I totally understand the sentiment about the idea making you want to cry.

My husband was very much against this idea because he felt like I was self-punishing. He thinks everything I do is too extreme and designed to punish myself. And I admit that it is fairly extreme (<12g carb/day, 1 meal/day, approx 50 g protein/day, no grains, and now no sweet), but I swear that every time I take something away or limit it more, it seems to get easier. Right now I'm really feeling like I've gotten a monkey off my back. I am bummed, as I said, but I am so much less anxious and I haven't been feeling like there's a constant struggle. Last night, I felt for the first time in a long time like hunger and the need for fuel were the only reasons that I was eating. And then when I felt like a snack would be fine in terms of my "plan", I realized I just wasn't in need of one -- and I wasn't needing to feed my sweet tooth. I think a lot of what I considered hunger was a need for sweet.

Cfine, I totally get it! It has taken me so many years to even try this bc I felt like it was gonna be so awful. I felt like it was the very last enjoyable thing I had in relation to food. And that may be right. lol I am seriously not enjoying food. But in a way that is a relief. If you do come around to trying it, I'll tell you, in my experience so fat, the positives start showing up almost immediately, like within a day or so. I feel so in control in a way I never did while eating sweets (and I felt so much more in control than I had previously when I gave up carbs and grains and all that, but now more so). So, if you decide to take the plunge at some point, I'd say don't think of it as a 30 day experiment, just do it for two days and see what happens.

I have to say, this is making me feel more like a grown up.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Jayne, you are really working hard, and what a great post. This really shows how hard it is to lose significant weight and keep it off. What you do is something most people cannot even imagine.

I have found that I have reached a point where I have to go into deprivation mode.

Yesterday I did well with sweeteners but freaked out on cheese again. I threw the best of it in the freezer to break it.

I am going to do another potato hack since it is obvious that I need to hit a restart button after my vacation and too much eating. I don't know what else to do. Starting today. So far, no problems. This was the last thing I was doing before the Shangri-La/Guyenet combo worked so well, so it seems obvious that I just retrace my steps to get back to where I was.

Last edited by Key Tones; 10-02-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're probably right. I need to just think of it in terms of a couple day experiment. I just need to get another day or two under my belt and then I might join y'all.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not looking ahead too far. For now, I just need to get control of myself! I am totally at peace today. I made it through day one of the potato hack, no cheese, no sweeteners.

I'm sitting here sipping on some unsweetened tea. All is good. It's 9 pm.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I ate well today but got pretty hungry about an hour ago, craving chocolate and sweet.

I finally settled on a tbsp of almond butter (homemade with a dough like texture) sprinkled with cinnamon and a few freeze dried raspberries. It hit the spot.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Well...I have wimped out! I just can't wrap my brain around it right now. I am seeing all of these wonderful Fall recipes that I'm wanting to try. Ugh! I know I need to just do it, but I'm struggling just to stay on track right now. I will go for a week or two and do great, then something will be placed before me and I just can't resist, and then the whole binge cycle takes over.
This may not work for you - bu I've found that browsing recipes and food blogs, even here and legal diet recipes elsewhere, can create the most intense cravings for me. They're not physiological, they're the niggling psychological kind that don't go away as easily and build up the food in question to truly storied proportions (in my mind, anyway).

So for me, I have to keep it simple. Not much food experimentation, NO recipe browsing. Except for rare treat times, like my birthday, I eat the same kinds of food each day and don't try new recipes. Novelty is my biggest overeating trigger outside of stress.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
I gave up ALL sweet because artificial sweeteners scare me. It has been wonderful! Cravings diminished to almost nothing, but on occasion I do still wish for a slice of peanut butter brownie pie...
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I'm not looking ahead too far. For now, I just need to get control of myself! I am totally at peace today. I made it through day one of the potato hack, no cheese, no sweeteners.

I'm sitting here sipping on some unsweetened tea. All is good. It's 9 pm.
Sounds like a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I finally settled on a tbsp of almond butter (homemade with a dough like texture) sprinkled with cinnamon and a few freeze dried raspberries. It hit the spot.
Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
I gave up ALL sweet because artificial sweeteners scare me. It has been wonderful! Cravings diminished to almost nothing, but on occasion I do still wish for a slice of peanut butter brownie pie...
How long has it been since you gave it up? I feel like I have made changes that I thought were going to solve all of my problems for a few months, and then they don't really work anymore, or at least don't solve the whole problem. So, I'm wondering if this will feel good and right for weeks or maybe a few months and then not do the trick anymore.

I had an okay day today, is it day 5? Must be. Anyway, I woke up this morning with a blood sugar of 29, which is about as low as one can be and still be standing. Well, crap! So, I used some gymnema, which makes it impossible to taste sweet and ate 15 skittles, and then ate a bunch of tortilla chips with guacamole (bc there's is no telling your brain you're not starving when your b/s is 29, won't listen to reason). I am hoping, hoping, hoping that the scale won't go up tomorrow (I have been working so hard to get down past 153.8, a previous low, and this morning I was at 154.2, gah!). And, obviously hoping that skittles I can't taste won't hurt me. lol I actually think it won't do me any biochemical damage. My blood sugar was freaking 29, so I think that sugar had to go right into damage control rather than being mischievous. I hope.

But all in all, I'm still happy to be sweet free, I think.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #29

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
I'm glad it's not just me. I don't think I can do it right now with you all, but I certainly would want to applaud you!
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I'm glad it's not just me. I don't think I can do it right now with you all, but I certainly would want to applaud you!
Ya know, when I talk to people IRL and they're wow'ed by my weight loss and they can't wait to hear how I did it and then I tell them no grains and their eyes glaze over and they've moved on and they can't even consider it or have the conversation... well, that's how I've been all this time about the artificial sweetener. When I talk to those people I think, ahhh, addiction! And I knew that I was doing the same, but good grief, I was hoping that it was an addiction that wasn't actually hurting me. But I kinda think the harder it sounds to give it up and the more resistant you are to it, the more likely it is to be a problem. Since I gave it up, like, the last 3 or 4 days, lol, I have felt so much more in control. I just hope that it keeps up.

But, seriously, I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel like I had to. If I could stick to plan and feel comfortable with it while I was eating AS, by all means, I would be eating AS. I was just getting so frustrated of my inability to stop eating off-plan foods.