Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Jayne,

I'm hanging in there with you. I had no sweeteners today. I had to walk away from delicious free food at work as well since I am refraining from just about everything.

It isn't terrible; the desire passes quickly when it comes up.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Way to go ladies! Hang in there! And Jayne, when your blood sugar is that low it isn't a diet issue, it's a medical emergency. I think you're doing smashingly well.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I am not ready to do this all the way but the last 2 days I stoped eating any chocolate
bark ( coconut oil, coco powder and artificial sweetner ) between meals. But I have had
a few tablespoons of a deoderized coconut oil as is talked about in the Shangrai-li diet. It seems I am not nearly as hungry yesterday or today. I quess the next thing is to stop using a sweetner in my tea.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Jayne,

I'm hanging in there with you. I had no sweeteners today. I had to walk away from delicious free food at work as well since I am refraining from just about everything.

It isn't terrible; the desire passes quickly when it comes up.
Yay! I had to walk away from binge-y food today because on fridays I run the pizza lunch at my 4th grader's school. Last week I succumbed and had the d*mn pizza for the first time, but today I hardly thought about it! It was so much easier and I'm pretty sure that it was bc of giving up sweets. I just feel in control in a way that I haven't before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Way to go ladies! Hang in there! And Jayne, when your blood sugar is that low it isn't a diet issue, it's a medical emergency. I think you're doing smashingly well.
True! And thank you for pointing it out. I am feeling proud of myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I am not ready to do this all the way but the last 2 days I stoped eating any chocolate
bark ( coconut oil, coco powder and artificial sweetner ) between meals. But I have had
a few tablespoons of a deoderized coconut oil as is talked about in the Shangrai-li diet. It seems I am not nearly as hungry yesterday or today. I quess the next thing is to stop using a sweetner in my tea.
I was doing oil a la shangri la for a few weeks a while back. I want to get back to it, but not change too many things at once. I do think there is something to it.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Today was day 8 and I'm still sweet-free. I'm still feeling more in control. But I'm worried this is just gonna get super boring. I think I'm gonna have a cup of that sweet and spicey tea that isn't sweetened but tastes naturally kinda sweet. So far I have been avoiding anything that could possibly sweet, like tomatoes and such.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #36

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
you are so strong! Congrats on sticking with my commitment.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
you are so strong! Congrats on sticking with my commitment.
Aww, thanks! I actually caved a little last night though. I ate a bunch of strawberries! It felt like a real deviation, but truthfully, of all the cheats I've had on this journey, this one feels pretty minor. Once I get to goal, I'd like to be able to have a big bowl of strawberries every once in a while w/o seeing it as a bad thing. I was shocked, though, to see the scale up a whole pound this morning. Gah! Freakin' strawberries! But, more importantly, I don't think it has thrown me off kilter. I don't feel like running out and getting a scone today or anything.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, well, I had a cheat as well. My boyfriend has never done this before; he suddenly decided to buy my favorite diet soda and pulled it out of his refrigerator for me yesterday (I gave up diet soda as a staple a long time ago, so when it shows up for me socially, it is a huge treat).

He was trying to be sweet; I didn't want to disappoint him. He can never figure out what to do for me, and I am always changing my mind about my diet, so he ends up confused. He made grass-fed bunless burgers for us last night with garlic-roasted cauliflower, yum!

OK, I'm safe now! Black diluted coffee for me.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Jayne,
I think the *only* reason I was able to get back on low carb last January 1 and stay 100% compliant this time was because I also gave up AS. The one time I put Truvia in a legal cheesecake and I craved for almost a week...and I wasn't craving sugar. I was craving starches!

I did occasionally drink my low carb EAS protein drink for breakfast which has AS in it, but that didn't seem to be a problem. Still doesn't when I grab one in place of a meal when I'm out and running during mealtime...but in every other instance I avoid the AS. Even my whipped cream/cream cheese dessert is made sans any type of sweetener.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Good morning posters. I have read the whole thread and the question I have is.........Are you guys stating that "artificial sweetners in any form" cause you cravings?.....I haven't seen this for myself in my WOE and wonder if this is something I might experience in the future. Not criticizing, trying to gain knowledge in this lc path.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Foods are sweetened with food manufactures to improve sales. It only makes sense that sweetening with sweeteners woudl do the same. I am the type that loves to sweeten food. Making teriyaki with stevia or AS for example for salmon.

I went on a big deprivation stint before my vacation, gave up sweeteners, gave up coffee, and ate bland food and dropped some weight quickly. I'm trying to find my way back there.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Good morning posters. I have read the whole thread and the question I have is.........Are you guys stating that "artificial sweetners in any form" cause you cravings?.....I haven't seen this for myself in my WOE and wonder if this is something I might experience in the future. Not criticizing, trying to gain knowledge in this lc path.
I had no idea how it was affecting me until I gave it up. I think it has made a HUGE difference to have given all sweet tastes up. I don't know if it was necessary to give it ALL up, but I suspect it was.

My motivation for quitting was that I felt like I was acting addicted in relation to it. Now I think it wasn't like a chemical addiction like you can have to carbs and sugar, that mess w your serotonin and dopamine, but I think it's possible that it is related to my sugar addiction and what it does to my brain chemistry -- like after years of getting the brain affect, the taste itself is calming... or something along those lines.

I also think the meals I was eating, while having great macros and all that, we're hyper-palatable (is that the phrase I'm looking for?). Everything I ate was fat/sugar/salt. EVERYTHING! I loved to have just an avocado (salted) or a piece of cheddar for a snack, but it was only appealing to me if I had mio w it. For me I think that salty/sweet combo has always been what I was after and now that I don't have the sweet, it feels a whole lot easier to stop eating before I'm overfull or to pass up a snack.

I used to think that the AS's were what was helping me stay on track. I didn't need to eat real sugar and was often able to stick to my plan bc I could have a squirt of Splenda in my chili (which I made last night and it tasted like poo w/ no AS, lol) or some truvia in my teriyaki (Key Tones, ugh, hadn't thought of the fact there's no more teriyaki for me!). But as time went on and I realized I was putting it in everything and feeling addicted (I really found the idea of giving it up horrifying, which I think is a sure sign there's something wrong).
Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I'm doing NO sweeteners, real or artificial and it's HARD!!!

Sometime I just want relief from bitter.

So the legal things I can have help:
A few raspberries in coconut milk (canned coconut milk)
Homemade almond butter is very sweet to me, especially sprinkled with cinnamon
Cooked cabbage (it caramelizes, yum!)

But--wah!--I want chocolate.

I've come THIS close a few times (just a teeny, weeny, little bit, my body wheedles)but so far, so good. It was the chocolate that was getting out of hand, but gosh darn I miss it!!!

Waaaah!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #44
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I eat chocolate without any sweeteners. I buy pure, unsweetened cocoa. I've made 'candy' with just Kerrygold butter, cocoa, and almond butter. The butters cut the bitterness, and it tastes like good, dark chocolate to me.

I've also used the cocoa with some flax meal and egg to make a 'brownie' in a mug (much like the minute muffin).
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I'm almost to the three week mark of the Whole30 and while I do miss stevia in my Yerba Mate I've found that a couple drops of cinnamon essential oil works good too. The no dairy is one of the biggest obstacles since cheese is such a big low-carb staple but it's forced me to really be more creative in my cooking and I've really enjoyed trying new dishes, so has my husband. I realize now I was overdoing it on the cheese and dairy and even Dr. Atkins said to limit the amount to I think 2 ozs. but so many low-carb recipes are cheese laden.

I feel really good and although I haven't weighed I can tell my body composition has been changing, no bloating or swelling and I actually wore a pair of sandals today that I haven't been able to get on my swollen feet for a long time, they're even a bit loose. I also feel happier, sleep better and my complexion is looking a lot better.

One of my favorite quotes from the Whole30 program is:

"It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won’t get any coddling, and you won’t get any sympathy for your “struggles”. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to complete the program as written. It’s only thirty days, and it’s for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime."

Last edited by PaminKY; 10-11-2013 at 07:20 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great, PaminKY! I do have some cinnamon sticks and cinnamon tea. I think they help a bit. I had a thing for cauliflower pizza, which of course is mostly just cheese instead of crust, with more cheese on top. I had to stop that!

Ah, I love the Whole 30 quote at the end.

It reminds me of how struck I was the other day listening to some commercial for a wrinkle cream. I thought, what a waste of time and money. What goes into your mouth is going to affect your beauty and aging more, a thousand times over, than some expensive cream that comes in a teeny bottle!

Last edited by Key Tones; 10-11-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mews
I have been having a terrible time this summer with sweet foods I been eating ice cream by the quart and half in 2 days and packages of cookies in a couple days also I eat them on the weekend just to get rid of them so can start new on my good WOE. I just finished the apple pie I had in the refrigerator yesterday and don't have anything in the house except some apples. It's about time for me to get on with stopping the suger binging and going to give it a real good try to do so. I did it before and will do it again.
3. Send it to the RECYCLE BIN
4. Empty the RECYCLE BIN
5. Your PC will ask you, "Are you sure you want to delete Housework permanently?"
6. Answer calmly, "Yes ," and press the mouse button
7. Feel better?
mews is offline   Reply With Quote