Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starrhae
Stats: 11/2003 185/155 restart7/30/2013149/134.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 7/30/2013
Tami what town in. Idaho??? By Salmon or Idaho Falls??? or post falls?? I agree,Msla is awesome!!! I lived in Lolo for 9 years ,It is right outside of Msla! My DD and sons still live there . and we go to Seely Lake a lot in the summer!! It is about 40 miles from Msla in the mountains!!! Beautiful!!
Daniele,I walked to the M before!!! OMG!!
Maureen,I am trying to get back to WOE also!!! We can all work on it together!!!
Laura,I didnt use to care for candy or icecream as much as I do these days but I am getting better at leaving alone since I am retired and not looking at it at the grocery store all day!!
Has anyone watched The Heat yet??? My DH brought it home to watch and my DD warned me that I might not . like it because of the language!!! I love the 2 actresses in it tho!!! We'll see??
I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #482
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Maureen~ you had such a successful outting! My other DD shops consignment all the time, the younger however would not be caught dead. Youth!

Laura~ let us know how the noms turn out, sounds tasty!

Wendy~ Mercy, those switchbacks on the M are brutal!! Dummy me thought I'd be ok...when little old ladies about 90yrs old were passing me and JOGGING up I about died We were half way up and a much older couple lapped us up and back before we were 3/4's of the way up...it was not funny at the time, but I still laugh about it now... We spent a day at Seely lake too...GORGEOUS! Matter a fact, I have pictures of the lake, and "the M" on my fridge..I love looking at them. Oh, and a great pic I got of 2 rainbows reflecting behind the M after a good rain one day.. Love it there!

I love The Heat...the language is outrageous so brace yourself. Melissa McCarthy though, that's my girl. Sandi and I are BFF's she just doesn't know it yet!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 11-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Was delicious!

I used my normal form of measuring when making this so here's as close as I can get.

1 can chicken breast
1/2 to 3/4 can of mushrooms... (I ate a few ok! sauteed fresh would be better)
1/4 to 1/2 can asparagus (steamed or roasted would be much better)
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 to 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup five cheese Italian cheese blend

I heated everything but the cheeses until bubbly, stirring a bit to break up chicken chunks. Then add cheeses stirring until melted. Serve.

Now for what to call it. Any suggestions?

There's a consignment shop in the closest little town haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Plus there is one in the town I work at about 5 minutes from work... really need to stop at some point and see what I can find.

Last edited by LauraDavis; 11-02-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Sorry about the bouncing, Danielle! I'm sure it'll settle soon! Sounds like you had a lovely trip to Montana as well! The hiking story and being lapped by the elderly is hilarious. I sooo feel you there. There's a lighthouse on the northern CA coast... I don't remember the name at the moment, but has about a zillion stairs down to the lighthouse. OMG. I seriously thought I may die on the way back up. Had to keep stopping for breaks. I told myself I'd go back to that lighthouse when I could run a 10 k and no sooner. It's probably a good thing I've forgotten it's name, though I'm sure DH hasn't. lol

Maureen, definitely not kicking you out. We'd all be in trouble if that were the case! Drummer sounds like a lot of fun & love that DD shops with you. Sounds like a fun trip! Kudos for the great finds!

Laura, definitely sounds yummy! Love throwing stuff together like that, but I don't do it nearly often enough! Total blank on the name, sorry!

Wendy, my sis was in Silverton, near Kellogg - which is where Silver Mountain Ski Resort (and the Walmart haha) is. Not sure if that helps at all. lol. Both my niece and nephew worked at Silver Mountain during their time there. My Nephew and X-BIL still live in Spokane. I'm trying to remember all the MT towns I've been in up there - Missoula, Helena, Great Falls, Bowman, Butte... maybe one or two others... and we were driving, so everything in between those places, then we drove home through Yellowstone & Glacier National Park. That was in two different trips, first me and a friend just for dog shows and then I decided I needed to take hubby & kids up there, so went back for a different circuit of shows plus added extra time for sightseeing. I really did love it and we would move that direction in a heartbeat if we knew DH could get a good paying job. Our house and the real estate market has kept us here, but the market is finally picking up, so our options are starting to open up. However, my boys say they will not leave California so now I worry a bit about future grandkids, because I know I will want to see them all the time... hmmmm...
Old 11-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maureenlw
Start Date: 5/13/2013
Laura,

Again you're waving your magic wand. I don't like a few ingredients in there, but am just amazed at can whip it up! Check out the little shops and let me know what you find!!! I can't wait until you do!!!

Danielle! You're so funny with your actress friends. I want to see the heat. I have a groupon for the little movie place and that is showing or was showing last week. Maybe tomorrow I can go.

Haha, what were the little old ladies wearing? That is funny. I need to do some exercise as I want to be a cutie grandma zooming around.

Wendy, you and me girl; we are going to rock this house this week!!! You're my security raft this week.

I had a big salad with lots of oil to keep me full. DD had her boyfriend come over. Evidently he does not have any money and could not take her out. She cooked him the steak in the freezer and they split it. Then she gave me half of hers as she could not finish it. I am impressed. She did a good job cooking it. They had a mini date in the kitchen without mom. I told them to go out on the picnic table and light candles, but it was too cold for them. LOL

Oooo...has anyone made eggnog? I've a lot of eggs that I bought due to the sale. I'd love some. I don't know how to cook the eggs without cooking them to kill off the bacteria. Any ideas? I think that would be a cute little staple for me full of fat.

So, made the boiled eggs. Yay me. Then I boiled two heads of cauli. AND, I'm an idiot as I looked at the receipt and these things were five dollars each! That is more then the dress I bought!!! LOL

Anyway, boiled them and then mashed them up. They are ready for baking , pizza or whatever.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #486
Blabbermouth!!!

Tami, I think had there been actual steps I might have done better...but this was just dirt going sideways up the side of a mountain Craziness!
I hear ya on the contemplation of where the kids will end up in case of future grandkids... I *think* all the kids will actually end up following us to CA..both girls actually want to do school there so all I need is DS to come I miss him so much being 2 hrs away whatdya think will happen if we move 14+ hrs away if he decides to stay!

DH just called...he wants to go to the movies tonight... We didn't end up going last night, I was SO tired by the time everyone got home, go figure, eh? The popcorn fairy best be kind to me tonight and grant me the ability to stop after a couple handfuls
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 223/204/175
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Tonight we had Lou Malnati's crustless pizza again And I treated myself to merlot.

Danielle, i hear ya on that popcorn!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #488
Blabbermouth!!!

Mmmmmm pizza!! Glad you enjoyed it Stacy!!!

Went to see Last Vegas...cute movie. Yes, I had popcorn.

Scale was down .2--new low so I'm happy
Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

I looked into the sausage pizza crust! I'm going to make that! Thanks for teasing me with it! LOL

Danielle, were you able to control the popcorn? I am thinking yes!!!

I've a roast in the oven and cauliflower with bacon and cheese. I am so hungry! Giants are on at 1.

Off to eat some hard boiled eggs so I don't cheat!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #490
Senior LCF Member

Yes, the pizza was so tasty, its so nice to have an option like that around here.

Tonight I'm making Linda Sue's Lasanga Stuffed Peppers -tweaked a bit to my preference plus a side salad. This is another one of my staple/favorite recipes of hers.

Anyone have any good salmon or mahi mahi recipes they can share? I just bought a bunch of fish at Costco yesterday.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #491
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureenlw View Post
I looked into the sausage pizza crust! I'm going to make that! Thanks for teasing me with it! LOL
Let me know how this works out for you. What I really like about Lou's sausage crust, is that it is not too salty (or greasy) somehow. I'd love to know what kind they use.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #492
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes Maureen, totally controlled the popcorn..
I've got a roast in the crockpot...I can't wait
Old 11-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

Stacy I have a few recipes.. go figure right... let me dig them out.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

ok I have one I can find quickly (cuz it's actually in the seafood section of my cookbook binder)

Coconut-Crusted Mahi Mahi Nuggets

1 1/4# Mahi Mahi
1 large egg
1 cup almond flour
2/3 cup finely shredded coconut (unsweetened)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup coconut oil
4 lime wedges

Set a wire cooling rack over a cookie sheet. Cut Mahi Mahi into 1 or 3 inch pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel. Whisk egg in large shallow bowl. In a large plastic container with a lid, combine almond flour, coconut, salt and pepper. Put on lid and shake to combine. Heat 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of the fish to the egg and toss to coat, use a fork or slotted spoon to transfer pieces to the almond flour mixture (is this what I do wrong... I always use my fingers)m shaking off excess egg. Place lid on and shake until fish are well-coated. Transfer fish pieces to skillet and cook 2 to 4 minutes per side (thinner pieces will cook faster). Crust should be a light golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and repeat with remaining fish. Serve with lime wedges.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Laura..that sounds good, please.keep em coming!!

I made a low carb pumpkin pie with whipped cream cheese topping today...havent made this in years, and it was soo good...husband loved it
Old 11-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #496
Major LCF Poster!

I created a new pie crust recipe the other day.... it stood up well. I made a mini pie and the shell came out of the pan in one piece and held it's shape.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #497
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
You all are so GOOD in the kitchen! I am so NOT!

Good weekend here. It was very relaxing and I enjoyed it all.

Ready to start my Monday! 171.2 today , blah!

Maureen, no one is kicked out here. No matter what!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #498

Lynne that is really cool about Halloween. I love that holiday!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #499

Gina - where are you girl???
Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

You guys are making me drool this morning! Yum. Coconut crusted anything sounds pretty amazing & it's been so long since I made a low carb pumpkin pie. Tis he season, though. Maybe I'll make one for Thanksgiving

Danielle, Congrats on the new low & on controlling the popcorn! Good on ya'!

Monica, a relaxing weekend? You have those? How refreshing! It's funny. We had the power flash off & then back on one day last week and my computer restarted thinking it was 2006 - weird. So many things have been done to this computer in that time, but my old desktop calendar opened and every day that month was filled with kid stuff & dog stuff. lol. I honestly don't miss it that much anymore. lol

Have a good Monday everyone! The scale is just hanging right at 186, so I'm really thinking another new low should be on it's way soon
Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #501

Tami - I hope you are right. I fear once the kids are gone DH and I will look at each other and think, WTH are we going to do now??? I sense a woosh in your future TAMI!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Good morning everyone!!

Laura, first of all I have to say that fish sounds divine!

Danielle, I'm so happy to hear you were able to make peace with the popcorn! Treats are so important, I think (...she says, holding an ice cream bar in one hand and typing with the other ).

Monica, aww, it's only water weight. It will come right back off!!

I was thinking of you and your 250 ToT-ers when we were out there on Halloween night. You would have loved this!!

Tami, here's to a new low soon and at your computer being in a 2006 time warp!!

Stacy, the lasagna stuffed peppers sound very good!! Do you have any idea what the calorie counts are on them?

Maureen, holy cow 5 bucks for a head of cauli?? It is pretty useful stuff, though. Your cauli with bacon and cheese sounds yummm.

Me... I had to throw the Halloween candy out. Gavin didn't want anything to do with it, and I had 3 pieces of it which I didn't need. So went over by 500 calories on Saturday (candy adds up quick!), but was back in the saddle with DD Sunday.

I think the slightly immoderate UD did me good. I won't weigh again until next weekend, but I *feel* a bit skinnier.

Have a great week ladies!!

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Lynne - if you are using 1 lb of ground beef there are around 327 calories per pepper - per Linda Sue's recipe. I used red peppers instead (personal preference), 1-1/2 lbs of cooked italian sausage and didn't use mushrooms. I didn't measure my mozzarella cheese either (I shredded 1-8oz block), so I'm sure mine have a considerably different calorie count.

Here is Linda Sue's version:

LASAGNA STUFFED PEPPERS
4 large green peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 pound ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 cup spaghetti sauce
15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 egg
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Place the peppers in a large baking pan at least 9 x 13 inches; sprinkle the inside of the peppers with salt. Meanwhile brown the ground beef, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper and half the garlic powder; drain the fat. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and adjust the seasonings as needed. Combine the ricotta cheese, egg and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese in a small bowl; season with salt, pepper and the remaining garlic powder. Divide the ricotta mixture between the pepper halves. Top the ricotta mixture with the meat sauce; mound the mozzarella cheese over the top of each pepper. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup parmesan. Bake at 350║ for 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned.

Makes 8 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 327 Calories; 21g Fat; 24g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Dinner tonight - I'm roasting a Jennie-O turkey breast and I will roast a veggie blend of summer squash, butternut squash and red onions w/olive oil & seasonings.

Dinner tomorrow & Wednesday - leftover turkey and lasagna peppers
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Anyone have protein-shake recipes that they want to share? Husband is craving chocolate shakes (his weakness) and I used to make some years ago with Optimum Nutrition chocolate whey protein, but how I did them....I can't recall. I might have used egg beaters or cream cheese in them to thicken them up....we want something to squash the chocolate ice cream shake cravings.....so any suggestions would be helpful. Recommendations for low-carb protein powders too if you know of any....thanks!

Last edited by Stacy O; 11-04-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Thank you for the recipe, Stacy!

I can recommend the Pure Protein chocolate shake; still my favorite. If you use an immersion blender for a minute or two, it gets creamy on its own (better than other brands). I don't put anything in it except water so I don't have much of a recipe for you.

Lynne
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Monica, it was like that for a time, but now it's more like, 'What on earth were we thinking?' lol. Really, it was fun and I wouldn't change a thing, but it's definitely becoming more of a distant memory at this point.

Thank you both for the 'whoosh wishes'

We're celebrating my youngest son's 20th birthday tonight... bday is actually tomorrow, but DH, I, and DS's 'other dad' have dart league tomorrow, so tonight it is. Since the boys have been about 17 and we stopped doing real birthday parties they've always gotten to chose a restaurant to celebrate at. DS's pick? Golden Corral buffet. Hmmm. Not my idea of fine birthday dining, but it is his choice. I haven't been to a Golden Corral in about 20 years, but it's buffet with a salad bar. It'll work. Looks like there will be 12-14 of us plus the baby. I'm sure it'll be fun
Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

No protein shake recipes in my collection. I have a turkey breast but I'm saving it for Thanksgiving. Gonna put it in the rotisserie after I inject it with marinade. And the peppers sound good will have to try them.

Lynne at least yer back on program and the candy is gone. Good job.

Monica if I lived closer I'd cook for ya... and what is this weekend you speak of? I want a weekend... I think I remember one about a month and a half ago... and with the computer time warp all I can hear is the song from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Tami after the WHOOSH FAIRY visits me I'll send her your way. I gained 4# overnight from the tomato juice.... so I'll see her real soon.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like a plan, Laura!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Stacy.....

Yum! I've a pumpkin. Look at you go with those peppers! Wow. What an eager cook you've been! I am impressed.

And Laura outshines us all yet again with that interesting recipe. sigh...

OOOO Monica...I love that place. Salads, broccoli with cheese sauce, all the steak you can eat and all sorts of interesting low carb foods. I went with our church singles group last year for the first time and it was soo good. It was clean too and had lots of staff ensuring it was or I'd not eat at all! LOL I've not been out with the singles since, but more so went with a friend of mine on a boring Sat night.

Happy Bday to him!

Yesterday I was tired all day. I slept and slept and watched Thanksgiving movies with DD. She slept and slept. It was a sleepy movie day. wow.

The roast was perfect. I'm so happy with how it turned out.

Today, I went to the cafe and had scrambled eggs and bacon. Nuts for a snack and then Chinese fried wings, but I only had two.

I put on my jeans today and thought they felt funny. You know, that feeling when they are too loose at your butt because they are too small? Well, they were too big and fell down, but not too big. I can get them on and off without zipping them. They are low rise. Whatever. I'm a mess.

So, while I was in our cafe one of the supervisors (big big boss) came in and saw me and asked me if I was doing the beauty pageant. She and I are friends from when she was a lowly para. lol I wanted to do one, but am terrified I'd be booed off the stage.

So, I guess I am going to do it and I only have a month to prepare. I have to pay the entrance fee and buy a gown. I'll get it at the consignment shop and it won't be that much.

And I have to get my roots done and then I have to go to the dentist and bring in my bleaching trays as he would not sell me bleach until he knew they still fit properly. sigh... and I have to work at my skin which is a mess from not drinking water and and and and and...omg.... 1 month to reinvent? Not enough time!!! Whatever, I will do what I can.

Tonight, I'll have the roast fried with topped with salsa and cheese.

The guy ticked me off and I don't want anything to do with him. I'm going to stay single the rest of my life. I know it.

He asked me out to coffee, to see a band *which I could not go to)and then asked me to a fund raiser and asked me to pay my share which really ticked me off. Before he asked me to the fundraiser I cooked him dinner three times as I don't go out on week nights and still have to eat. I could not go to the fundraiser as I don't introduce my dd to men until after months of dating and even then I keep them away from her so her life is not impacted in anyway unless it is serious and serious is a few years of dating.

Anyway, since I knew him very well a long time ago I really don't think much of him coming over. Tonight he texted me and asked me if I wanted him to come over. We already had plans and I texted him back and said we had plans for six to which he replied he did not see that in his text feed. Well, obviously he did not listen or pay attention to what he was committing to on the phone which made me mad.

Then he texted me and asked me if dinner was ready which really blew my spout. I texted him back and said not to come over. He asked why and I told him he ticked me off. He did not understand. I told him I was not his wife and due to such I did not need to have dinner ready for him and for him to expect me to feed him when he came over just enraged me. Single mom on a budget. He is six three and can eat. I can see where this is going and I don't want any part of it. I had one of those before six six and lived with me and I paid all the bills and he ate me out of house and home.

Done. I better not eat junk because I am mad. At least I am content alone, but right now I'm mad. lol

Work was ok today. Lots of buzzing going around last week which will impact me tomorrow as now all the figures are coming in. We got a lot of high priority files from another firm. They will be my priority tomorrow. I'm only getting hit with four so far so it is manageable. Stress is another trigger for me.

BUT, the cute vending machine man put almonds in the vendie just for me so I have an alternative to turn towards.

So, I'm going to fry up my beef and get a grip. See my life is never dull. sigh...

Last edited by Maureenlw; 11-04-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Closed Thread