Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I don’t really like eggs, but occasionally like scrambled. For a few years I’ve had allergy problems with them, so haven’t had them at all for ages. I don’t feel as full for such a long time if I have meat or fish. I wonder if that makes them a good choice, or if it’s actually because I don’t react very well to them.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yes, I see what you mean, maybe your system has trouble dealing with them so it takes time for it to metabolise them. Interesting how our bodies work.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: blotto76
Stats: 175.25/163/140
WOE: Atkins first time round, Dukan now
Start Date: 5 May 2008/restart 17 June 2013 (Dukan)
Hmm, i wish eggs kept me full for that long. Nothing really seems to keep me full for more that 3hrs, unless i eat too much of course!

Lola, yay to last week of the manager from hell!

Kissa and Ailuros, you are both doing so well.

Jaycey, lovely that hubbie has already noticed the weight loss.

All good here on the paleo wagon!

x
Old 09-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If I eat meat or fish, I don’t feel hungry for a while, but I just don’t think about it. With eggs, I feel actually full, even 8 hours later. It’s probably better not to make them a staple.

What I like about the alternate day calorie restriction when it’s running smoothly is that it’s as if my body has suddenly discovered it has a built in fuel supply, so it runs happily from that and doesn’t bother sending signals to add more by eating. After a break — for holidays or visitors, it takes a few rounds to re-establish that feeling.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/134/130 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
Hi there,
Mimosa, I really hope your back pain is subsiding.
Lola, hope you've said good riddance to the manager from hell!
Welcome, Jaycey - congrats on the great progress.
Sounds like Ailuros and Kissa are doing well too
Paleo sounds like it was made for you, Blotto!
I feel inspired reading how well everyone is doing. I finally managed a successful DD yesterday. It felt great. I hope this is me back on the wagon. I want to be a fit and trim Granny!
Hope everyone's week is going well....
Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
I love eggs too..yum yum...especially egg mayo.

Or like I.ve just had in a lovely tuna and egg salad.

Ailuros. I was doing a 1 year cover for someone so not changing jobs as such. Just ending this one. I have another job which also keeps me busy so not too worried that I am losing this one and of course I won't miss the Manager from hell. Who's motto seems to be "do as I say - not as I do"!! So all the things that I seem to do wrong..she can do and that's fine cos she is the Manager!!

Wooh another lovely day here in the UK..Indian summer here we come
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #97

Stayed misty here until at least 1pm but then it warmed up a treat.

Would you believe it the plumbers came to fit some new radiators which have been waiting for them for 6 months, once they were fitted they had to run the central heating on full for an hour!!!! We had every window and door open.

Managed a good workout today but haven't eaten up to my UD cals, more of a medium day. I'm not too worried as I wanted tomorrow to be an UD. We have a pre theatre dinner planned. Seeing Othello at the National, I love Rory Kinnear.

Glad you are back on plan Jan, I love my DDs.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I’m surprised how much I enjoy the down days — after a week or so.

This month has been a bit odd as far as weight loss. The first week was normal — going down a bit — then two or three weeks with nothing happening at all, then a sudden jump down in the last couple of days. Anyway, I managed to just squeeze at a stone less than last year. I was 10st 2.2 on 2nd October last year, and 9st 1.4 this morning. (It’ll go up a bit tomorrow, because today is an up day, but I’m claiming it!)

Hope you’re all doing well, and Mimosa, that your back pain has eased.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaycey
Stats: 203/188/148
WOE: The 'Jaycey' Diet!
Start Date: 1 September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I’m surprised how much I enjoy the down days — after a week or so.

This month has been a bit odd as far as weight loss. The first week was normal — going down a bit — then two or three weeks with nothing happening at all, then a sudden jump down in the last couple of days. Anyway, I managed to just squeeze at a stone less than last year. I was 10st 2.2 on 2nd October last year, and 9st 1.4 this morning. (It’ll go up a bit tomorrow, because today is an up day, but I’m claiming it!)
This is really interesting for me to read - because I've currently got nothing happening either! I lost a stone quite quickly, but for well over a week now I've been hovering around the same place on the scales with nothing really going on? (It's like up a pound, down a pound, but keeps coming back to the same place!) I'm much happier shape-wise, but I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say I've dropped a dress size yet. I'm trying to stick to LC, and thought I was - but the weight's stopped coming off? Here's a question - DO calories matter on an LC diet? Surely if I put away a great big creamy dinner (I'm saying nothing, lol), the calories from that could mean that I don't lose the weight? I've got a horrible feeling I'm eating too much........ (But the food's so lovely and yummy, dammit!)

(What's funny is that my OH and my best friend keep saying, "You've lost a stone? But that's brilliant! Stop moaning!" More than a stone is needed, my darlings - I'm fed up with buying size 18/20, I really am!)

PS. When I was young, my mum used to warn against eating too many eggs, saying I'd get 'egg bound' (her term for constipation!). I am constipated at the moment, and am wondering if there was actually some truth in this, or whether it's just a side-effect of the diet. (Someone in another thread advised me to take magnesium supplements for this - does anyone here take them, or indeed have the same problem?)

Last edited by Jaycey; 09-29-2013 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: Extra egg comment!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A lot of people find they can eat higher calories on LC diets without gaining weight, but need to limit them to some degree in order to actually lose. But if you’re talking about a week, it might not be that. To fluctuate a few pounds due to varying levels of fluid retention is quite normal. If you lose a pound of fat in a week, but hold on to a couple of pounds of water, your weight will be up a pound, but the fat burning is still going on just as it should, and you’ll be able to see it when your body decides to get rid of the water.

I found that I used to gain 2 or 3 pounds of water at ovulation and pre-menstrually (post-menopause now). Also I retain water if I have a cold or something, if my allergies are bad, if I get a cut that’s a bit infected, and often for no reason that I can determine.

Constipation obviously adds a bit to your weight. It’s not uncommon at the start of LC dieting, but usually settles down after a while. Magnesium definitely does help.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all that, Ailuros - it's very handy to find people who've been there and done it, and know the pitfalls and tricks! One thing I know I'm not doing is drinking enough (I find that really hard, although it sounds silly), so I think if I get 'flushing', it might help both the weight loss and the constipation. You live and learn.........
Old 09-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I’m not in the drink gallons camp. I do need to drink a bit more, because my tendency is to forget to drink at all, but I have never seen any science backing up the huge quantities of water that are sometimes recommended. If you don’t drink much, increasing your fluid intake might help though.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I’m not in the drink gallons camp. I do need to drink a bit more, because my tendency is to forget to drink at all, but I have never seen any science backing up the huge quantities of water that are sometimes recommended. If you don’t drink much, increasing your fluid intake might help though.
Me too - thought I was the only one, lol. I agree with you re the science, but I'm someone who sometimes only has a couple of cups of tea a day because I just don't think about it - and I know that's not enough, diet or no diet. (My GP has always told me off about it.) Chugging down just six glasses of liquid in a day is hard enough for me, but I'm trying to do this now to help the diet along a bit (have set alarms on my phone to remind me, lol). I'm an ADD sufferer, can't remember my own name some days, let alone whether to have a drink......
Old 09-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I sometimes get to tea time and realise I haven’t had anything to drink apart from a tiny cup of coffee with breakfast. Somewhere between that and drinking gallons is probably the sweet spot!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Jaycey. I keep a litre bottle of water by my kitchen sink and carry water to work and in my car. That way the bottle by the sink reminds me to drink. Hope this helps
Old 09-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Hi All

Slinking back in ...

Jan, congratulations
Mimosa, hope your back improves soon
Jaycey, welcome!

So Mum is off to Pompeii, lucky her (Jaycey, Kissa is my Mum) and I'm back on the JUDDD bandwagon!

Visa all sorted, now just got to get some work!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope the work turns up quickly! Are you pleased with the move so far?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

126.6 this morning, down 4.4 from 1 Sept. It will be so nice to get below 126! September was odd. Almost the whole month just bouncing up a pound, down a pound, then suddenly dropping in the last few days without doing anything different.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Wow, this thread gets busy! I have to read back and back just to see what's been going on, lol.

I'm getting over my water problem - I read elsewhere in this forum that a similar dieter got over it by drinking 'lemon water' - I tried this and found that it's much easier and nicer for me to chug down a glass of water with a squirt of lemon juice in it, rather than just plain. I'm trying to get six drinks down myself a day, and it's become easier now.

I'm still a bit constipated, so have 'cheated' for the last couple of days by taking Senokot. I want to try magnesium, but this is already included in my daily dose of multi-vitamins - just wondering how much more to take that's a safe dose?

(lola5k - I love to read about old people - my mum is a fit 97, although she has seeing and hearing issues due to macular degeneration and severe deafness. One of the things I think keeps her fit is the fact that she still lives in a house with stairs - she's up and down those stairs all day (she doesn't have a downstairs loo!), so it's like 'invisible exercise'. (I suspect that old people can deteriorate if put into flats or bungalows - my medic friend tells me that there is an unofficial condition they call 'bungalow legs', which is when old people slow down after moving to one!) I take her away twice a year, once in summer and once at Xmas - she loves it! She still dyes her hair blonde, and sticks to a rule that she's had since she was 16 - never go out without lippy, nail varnish or perfume. (Please don't look over here at her scruffy daughter, lol.) I have to force carbs into her! Her GP wants her weight to stay over eight stone, so I'm constantly pushing gold top milk, Complan and piles of bread into her - can't think I'll ever have that problem! )

(MintQ8 - you are the dead spit of one of my best friends, I did a double take when I saw your pic, lol!)

Last edited by Jaycey; 10-01-2013 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: Bits for MintQ8 & lola5k
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Magnesium is quite bulky so the amount that’s in a multivitamin is usually very small unless it’s one of the super-duper two pills three times a day variety. (Same for calcium.)
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Well done Ailuros!

Jaycey, I get that a lot!

Well a successful DD! Today is DH's birthday, so out for dinner!

We're happy with the move (to catch Jaycey up, I live in Oman - but when I'm not here I live in Brisbane - we've just moved back here).

There's not a lot of training budget out there, stupidly, the first thing to go when the economy is down! Should be going up! Working on lots for next year!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Ailuros that is fantastic fantastic.

I wonder if I went back onto JUDDD if I would have same success....as I said previously I just seemed to go up a pound and back down a pound.

Am on protein only week this week as too many glasses of wine over last few weeks and can see the results on my tum!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How long did you do JUDDD for, Lola? I’ve only been doing this (which isn’t really JUDDD because I don’t follow any of his rules) for less than three months, but there have been times when the numbers drop very nicely: up a bit after the up days, down a bit after the down days, but each time less than the previous pair. Then there have been times when, for two or three weeks I seem to just bob up and down without going anywhere. Overall I keep going down though.

9 st 0.2 this morning. That’s after a down day, so it’ll be higher again tomorrow, but 8 st something is awfully close!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Ailruos. I did it for around 3 months. However, in the time I lost 3lbs but then just kept going up 1lb and down 1lb.

If you are not sticking to his rules please could you give me an example of an UD and a DD? Do you alternative day fasting or 5:2?

It was picked up that I wasn't eating enough on the UD's but then I seemed to go gung ho on the UD's and it didn't feel comfortable.

Thank you for reply x
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven’t been counting, which makes it easier to do, but harder to tell anybody what you’re doing . I’m doing alternate days, and for down days I have say 100g plain yoghurt or cottage cheese for breakfast, with 2oz milk in a cup of coffee. Lunch and dinner I have something around 100g of more or less lean meat or fish. Another cup of coffee at lunch time, and usually hot chocolate with the same amount of milk at bed time, so I don’t go to bed hungry.

On up days I eat whatever I want to, but I haven’t been especially hungry. I tend to find that I have smallish breakfast & lunch, and don’t quite feel the hunger has completely gone away, then I have a bigger dinner and feel, not absolutely stuffed, but completely satisfied; not hungry at all.

Breakfast might be a slice of toast (reasonable size & solid bread) or a croissant, or maybe only half of one. Lunch, meat/fish/cheese & salad (with dressing or mayo or whatever), dinner either LC meat & veg followed by cheese, or eat out 3 courses with wine, or an “ordinary” meat & starch combination. Sometimes with wine, sometimes not. I lose more when it’s smaller and simpler, but it just depends what’s going on.

I’ve been averaging about a pound a week, but because I can easily hold on to 2-4 lbs of water, there are sometimes spells of 2 or 3 weeks when I don’t see anything, then it changes a lot within a few days. Other times the numbers change more steadily.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I might be eating a bit less than that on down days. Today I’m having smoked mackerel, and I’m eating half of a 120g packet.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Hi all, just stopping by to say hi. Work is manic, I've had visitors in town, and I'm off to Cyprus on Friday - it's all go!

Hope everyone is well!

x
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gosh, super quiet around here. Just popping by to say farewell as I'm off to Cyprus tomorrow - see you all in a week!

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I've started a blog about paleo and triathlon - it's not terribly exciting, but here's the link: CaveGirlTRIs | Paleo and triathlon, in a single girl's world…………………

x
Old 10-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have a wonderful time in Cyprus!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #120

Sorry I have been trying to get my life back in order...

Have a great time in Cyprus.

Not enjoying this cold rainy weather, we have had it too good for too long.
Closed Thread