Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
hello girls--it seems like forever since I have been here--whew--not sure how long I have been gone--lots to catch up on! got back Friday and then yesterday had to take Mom to Evansville to do her banking-it didn't allow me to do any catch up--today I was supposed to can beets-but I am just too exhausted-haven't unpacked and just want to go back to bed! anyway-I will try to go back and read-hopefully you all are doing well and I am sure you are doing better on the woe! I haven't been eating on plan at all-and my clothes sure do tell the story--no scale for me for a long while--I started back on plan today thankfully--now to stick to it and get back to feeling better...anyway--here are a couple of pics--the first one is of Leah and Allison--Leah loves her new cousin--she is Bill's daughter's daughter!

and this of course is Lucas--he is doing really well with her--a few things have shown that he has regressed since he has a new sister--mainly in the potty training--but he is doing much better with the jealousy than I figured he would-

it is hard to be home after spending time there--I need to be here tho--so much to catch up on--Mom is calling tomorrow for an appt to check her eyes-if she can get in right away so that will be next week--dolly needs grooming on Wednesday and I have a hair appt I cancelled when the baby was born--I need it! color and cut past time!! that is Thursday--of course everything is out of town and traveling for me! so it is a busy week coming up-plus I have major laundry and cooking to do--Bill survived but didn't think much of hungry man dinners--I had several things frozen in the freezer but he did try those hungry man also--I didn't think he would go for them-he is used to having big meals! so I will have to make it up to him this week! poor baby-lol--it was good for him--he realized how much I take care of--the first nite he called wanting to where I keep Dolly's food--unbelievable-does he even live here???

Jeanne

Last edited by jbatchelor; 08-18-2013 at 10:15 AM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/151/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
rcookie - how is it going for you??? Sorry about the scale, maybe stay away from it for a while???

Karai - way to go! Happy FRIDAY indeed!
Hey Monica,
Thanks for the kudos.

Sounds like you and the family had an easy-going weekend.
Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/187/170
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
Good Monday morning all...Rachelle, Karai, Kim, Michelle, Monica, and Jeanne.I think that is everyone. I hope you all had a great weekend. Jeanne I am so happy to see you back. I'm sure Bill will appreciate you even more now. Those men!

We had a dinner party BBQ to go to yesterday. I thought I ate well until I went back to the kitchen after and saw the grocery store tub of coleslaw. I thought it was homemade so I asked if there was sugar in it and they said no. But when I saw the tub I read it and sure as heck the second ingredient was SUGAR. According to the label with the portion I had it included 40g of carbs. AHHHHHHH. I sure hope carvings don't come out of this. Otherwise I was so good a hamburger without bun and two weiners without buns and NO cupcakes and ice cream like everyone else.

Oh well how is everyone else doing?

I need to finish this journey once and for all!
I know somewhere inside of me I have the strength and commitment...I just need to find it.

Michelle
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IndieKim
Stats: 202/163.8/130
WOE: Atkins-ish Low Carb
Start Date: 05/20??/2013
Aw, Michelle, I think everyone's done that a time or three. I know I have. As long as you were good with everything else, this too should pass. Today's another day

Jeannie, thanks much for the pics! Baby is adorable as are the older little ones. Congrats again! I love being a grandma!

Didn't have time to weigh this morning but will try to tomorrow. This early morning thing just isn't my bag, I'm afraid. I like the job, but the location is really so inconvenient Plus with them wanting me here by 7, that really is tough. I may request a change in hours and if they can't accomodate it, will look for something closer to home. May have to take a pay cut but the time saved as well as gas and wear/tear on my vehicle will compensate for it. We'll see.

Have a happy Monday!!!

May 20 2013 - 202 lbs - Waist: 38.5 - Hips: 45 - Thighs: 28

Sept 1 2013 - 167.2 lbs - Waist: 32.25 - Hips: 39.75 - Thighs: 24
IndieKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

just read a little back-need to unpack--still haven't had time to do that--love the pics of new Pip-and of course Haven! so cute together--she has a new baby!

Michelle--good for you and working with the shelter dogs--it will make you so happy! and of course stepping out of your comfort zone--proud of you!!!

Kim--good for you not giving in to the ex-to be--their spots don't change I don't think-keep him gone! you have a better life in your future--

WTG to everyone on their weight loss--I am doing the opposite--but this is my second day back on plan-I can't say I hated the time away-it was too wonderful with the grands-just need to be back in my own environment so I can control what I eat--sure makes a difference!

I have so much to do --tomorrow I take Mom to the eye doc-she got an appt today-so that puts out of town three days this week-plus I need to mow for at least two days--doesn't leave much for in house cleaning--no wonder I feel like my head is spinning most of the time in the summer--I just can't seem to catch up! I hate that feeling!

well-it's that time-gotta scoot
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #186
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle204 View Post
Down 1.3 lbs this week. Making it 10.8 lbs since the start of this challenge. YEA! 7lbs to go and 75 days to do it. My fingers are crossed.

Well besides walking Ben today. I am coloring my hair. I have dyed my hair since I was 15 years old. I have always dyed it the same Nice and Easy color. All my hair turned grey at 15 and no one knows why. But grey hair sure looks weird on a 15 year old. So every 4 weeks it's time to renew the medium brown. Now that I'm 48 I wonder if I should stop.
Oh well off to the sink. I'll check in later.
way to go Michelle! My theory on GREY hair is, if my MOM is still coloring hers, I will mine! Mom is 67 years old and does....so I guess I am in it for the LONG HAUL! How bizarre that yours turned all grey at 15! I'm so sorry girl!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
it is hard to be home after spending time there--I need to be here tho--so much to catch up on--Mom is calling tomorrow for an appt to check her eyes-if she can get in right away so that will be next week--dolly needs grooming on Wednesday and I have a hair appt I cancelled when the baby was born--I need it! color and cut past time!! that is Thursday--of course everything is out of town and traveling for me! so it is a busy week coming up-plus I have major laundry and cooking to do--Bill survived but didn't think much of hungry man dinners--I had several things frozen in the freezer but he did try those hungry man also--I didn't think he would go for them-he is used to having big meals! so I will have to make it up to him this week! poor baby-lol--it was good for him--he realized how much I take care of--the first nite he called wanting to where I keep Dolly's food--unbelievable-does he even live here???

I bet he truly missed you girl! ! Maybe he will appreciate things a little more???? I missed you girl! VERY MUCH! Hey, do you have a jalepeno Jelly Recipe??? We have them coming out of our ears? YOU ROCK!!!

OH and I love the pictures, COMPLETELY love them both! Such adorable kids!

Last edited by zipp2play; 08-19-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #188

Way to get back on plan JEANNE!

I came here just to see if Jeanne was back! This week is a MESS for me! We (DH and I) leave for Dallas first thing Wednesday morning for work! My parents will come in and stay at our house. It will be a MESS of a week!

I did weigh in yesterday, I am down 3 to 171! Getting closer to my all time low of 167! Slow and steady, right?????
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/292.8/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
Good morning Ladies!

Congratulations Jeanne!!! The pictures are great, thanks for posting them. They are soo cute. I miss babies!!

Great job Monica, 4 pounds away from your all time low! That's amazing.

We had a super busy weekend, 8 kids in the house all weekend, football jamboree, dog sitting for my Mom, it was a zoo - literally. I'm glad to be back to work today to relax. lol. I didn't eat very well this weekend....nothing bad in particular but just not paying attention. I have to be super low carb to lose and I wasn't. Had a little bit of milk on Sunday and a bite of my son's muffin - that kind of thing. No reason just being lazy about it. Didn't eat dinner at all last night. Been losing and gaining the same two pounds now so time to get it in check. It's a new week right??

Have a great week.

Oh and Jeanne - I would love a good jalenpeno jelly recipe too!
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Monica--I have a good recipe for sugar hot pepper jelly--I tried to lowcarb it a couple of years ago-without the bulk of sugar--it didn't make hardly any-so I considered it a failed recipe--way too little of end product--however I am posting one I copied from the canning thread here-I am planning on trying it--it does call for lots of hot pepper-I would make sure to de-seed if you don't like it so hot--I remember only using about 10 hot peppers in my old recipe and using more sweet peppers --so use your judgement-in what ratio you want--I will be making and trying some later in the summer--forgot to add this is dianafoot recipe if you want to go back and reread and look at her pics--they are awesome--she uses three different peppers so three different colored jars-

Diana’s Hot Pepper Jelly
I finally got the time to make hot pepper jelly with my huge crop of cayennes, jalapenos, and habaneros. Oh man, is it good!!! I experimented with the ratio of peppers, vinegar, and sweetener, and I like this more than any I have had, commercial or homemade.

Ingredients:
• 5 cups finely ground cayennes or hot peppers of your choice
• 1 large red bell pepper (I used a yellow bell for habanero jelly, and a green one for jalapeno jelly)
• 7-8 cups sweetener: I used a blend of half xylitol, half erythritol, and about 10 drops of EZsweetz to replace the sugar.
• 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 2 packets of no-sugar-needed pectin
• 6-7 drops of red (or yellow or green) food coloring (optional, it gives it a deeper glowing color)

Directions
1. Slit the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs*.
2. Chop the peppers in the food processor about 1 cup at a time, until very finely pulverized.
3. Boil the peppers and vinegar and sweeteners together for 2-3 minutes to soften the peppers and dissolve the sweeteners.
4. Sprinkle in the pectin while stirring vigorously.
5. Bring to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down, and boil for one minute.
6. Taste and adjust sweeteners
7. Ladle into clean, sterile jars, wipe the rims, and put on the clean lids and screw the bands on lightly.
8. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
9. Let cool, making sure all lids seal, and store in a cool, dry place.

This made a soft jelly at first, but it firmed up nicely on sitting. It will crystalize after being opened and refrigerated, but it will go back to normal if microwaved for a minute until liquidy, then allowed to cool.

I don't like the cloudy look of jellies canned with Splenda, but with the E and X as sweeteners, it came out clear and beautiful. I also think E and X, boosted with the concentrated sucralose from EZsweetz, has a much better flavor than Splenda alone.

*Discard, or simmer the ribs and seeds in a cup of vinegar and strain, for the hottest pepper vinegar you have ever tasted (wonderful on barbecue, in hot and sour soup, etc. Just be careful, it’ll pop your eyes right out of your head!)

Last edited by jbatchelor; 08-19-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #191

THANK YOU JEANNE!!!!!!!!! I will take out the seeds and I plan to add some fruit in it!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

adding fruit sounds good--I actually saw some habanero with pineapple salsa at Sams club--I thought it sounded so good--I bet adding pineapple would make a good jelly also? there are benefits to being on JUDDD! I of course could add some berries-that might work? but I am happy enough with the jelly on some cream cheese --that reminds me-I need some lavash bread--that is what I was supposed to buy to make crackers!! -- back to work--it sure has been a day for putting stuff away! surprising for how quick stuff gets stuck where it doesn't belong-I am bad but Bill never puts anything away!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Monica-enjoy the trip to Dallas--even if it is work--you can make it a good getaway!!! nice to just escape the same ole same ole! however--your schedule never fits that description--wtg on the weight too--you are doing awesome!!! just a couple of more pounds!!!

I just got home from taking mom to the eye doctor--she has some flashes of light mainly at nite-she has macular degeneration which we knew-so they think increasing her vitamins should take care of this hopefully--she of course was afraid she was going blind and could never drive again-she gets majorly upset easily before knowing the outcome! but in a month she will get some new glasses that hopefully will improve her vision which is really bad and getting worse all the time--I really don't think she will ever pass another driving test and/or need to--I think she needs to prepare herself for that outcome..it's time! for her safety and others..

It is hot here--and I need to mow--I was intending to pick up a rotisserie chicken at walmart but her eyes were dilated and she needed to go home-so we came back and I am without dinner--I am just vegetating inside trying to decide if I want to change clothes and mow or go to walmart here in town and pick up some dinner--if I don't--I know what Bill will do--amish buffet!! I am trying to be good--day three and sticking to it so far-so I don't need to fall off the wagon now!

How is Pip doing????
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: burlesml
Stats: 365/250/145
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 11/18/2011 Restart:10/12/13
Is it too late to join in this challenge? i've just found the boards and would love a challenge to motivate me

start: 250
goal: 239, and/or drop a size
Old 08-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Monica--never too late to join in--pull up a chair and get comfy--I just got back from visiting my new grandchild for 10 days I think and totally fell off the wagon-so I am just restarting for the umpteenth time it seems--my life story--so you have a restarter to empathize with you--we have several new people here so you can join right in and feel right at home!!!

you are our second Monica!

again-welcome!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome new Monica! As Jeanne said new comers are always welcome here.

I am getting home awfully late tonight. Worked in stifling heat all day and then went to give blood after. Went out for dinner only had a cobb salad no dressing. So I did fine there. I really need to get a few things done around here before bed so I'll catch up here tomorrow ladies. Have a good night.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Hi "new" Monica and welcome!!!

Here to report a new low this morning!!! 167.4....I'm on my way!!! TOM is coming though so I better not get too excited because a couple pounds are coming with him of course :P

Can I ask a reaaaaaally TMI question? Do any of you ladies have issues with...er...constipation? I mean, I am upping fluids, I get fiber, yet I don't...well...go very often. Last week I resorted to a mild laxative in order to get myself to go, because stuff like flax/Metamucil/etc don't seem to work for me and make the situation that much more uncomfortable. Help?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

good morning girls--today I take Dolly for grooming--right at noon so I feel like I can't get out there and mow this morning and get all sweaty prior to traveling... I have a hard time mowing in the heat --I did part of the mowing yesterday and hate it--so I will try to do another section after I get back-and then finish up with another section tomorrow after my hair appt.

Kim-I understand the constipation issues-I have had them all my life--I think they contributed to my diverticulitis and the removal of foot of my colon back in 1998-so I really try to watch that-I do take stool softeners daily but the best thing I have found is Miralax -it is gentle and you just take a dose or two to keep you going when needed--it doesn't work like a laxative at all. I just put it in some diet dew. congrats on the new weight-keep it going!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tip on Miralax Jeannie! I've heard of it but never tried it. The laxative I have at home is in the form of little chocolate squares (not LC either unfortunately). They tasted good but worked just a little too well all day Sunday

I'll look for Miralax after work because I feel "bloated" and not going for days and days really isn't good. As you pointed out with the diverticulitis and colon surgery. That I do not need. My mother was hooked on laxatives in her late 40s and 50s - not sure about now but I imagine at 89 she still has some issues, and I don't want to end up like that.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 260/191.6/135
WOE: LC/Wheat Gluten Free
Start Date: 5/29/13
Kim I added magnesium malate 1000mg daily and am like clockwork every morning now. Have never done that in my life was lucky if i went every other day!

Welcome to Monica!

Doing very well on starting exercise, just an eliptical right now but hey at least my butt is on the machine!

Hi to everyone else, good morning!
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Michelle, I'll look for that! I used to be like clockwork before I started this WOE and now it's sluggish and like, once a week at best. IDK where the food goes! I mean, I ate a big steak last night and veggies, yet this morning am down a half pound without, well, going. It doesn't make physical sense to me

Good job on the elliptical! I haven't been doing anything lately. I have to head to work too early to do it in the morning and it's been way too hot and humid in the evening. I know, excuses excuses!

Last edited by IndieKim; 08-21-2013 at 06:22 AM..
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle-where do you find the magnesium 1000mg? I am in a little town and only find Magnesium oxide-which is not a good kind and its only 500mg-so I split the dosages-one in the am and one in the pm-but would love to find 1000 tabs and only take one at nite! Ideally the magnesium citrate would be absorbed the best but I can't find it locally either!! even taking the magnesium I need dynamite to keep me going at times-lol

Last edited by jbatchelor; 08-21-2013 at 07:34 AM..
Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/292.8/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
Good morning everyone!

Kim - congrats on your new low! Awesome!

Welcome Monica!

Great job on the elliptical Michelle. I have a very expensive gym membership that we pay for every month but I haven't used it lately at all! I keep thinking I should cancel but really I should just get to the gym!!!! lol.

having trouble getting back on plan. I ate 8 Ritz crackers yesterday at football practice because I was starving and didn't plan ahead...not good. Not eating horrible, not gaining but not losing at all so I need to get with it. Otherwise I will be the same amount of scary by Halloween!!!!!
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Rachelle---I know you can do this. Put those ritz's behind you and move on. But it is really important to plan ahead. It's when we don't plan, we fail.

Kim--- Way to go on the new low. You are doing fantastic. I know what you mean about the constipation. I have had problems all my life. I actually do better on this way of eating then before though. I take metamucil every morning with water and a shot of ACV . The metamucil actually subdues the ACV taste quite a bit and makes it more palatable to get down. But I also need magnesium supplements to help things along some times.

Monica---Enjoy your trip to Dallas.

Not much new here. Had a good day at work, took my dog Ben for a long walk, and got home early from work. Yahoo! Now time to kick back and relax. Simple bacon and eggs for dinner tonight. I can't wait!

Later all.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Thanks girls!

So PMS is hitting hard, and I decided before I commit a fatal faux pas, that it's time to venture into the world of the FAT BOMB lol....I've never had one, much less made them before. I only made a single bomb to avoid overdoing it and it's freezing right now. It's a chocolate/almond butter made with butter and coconut oil, a pinch of salt and Swerve. I sprinkled some almond shavings on top. The mixture when I melted it tasted exactly like brownie batter. Oh my, yum.....have you ladies made/eaten fat bombs?

Last edited by IndieKim; 08-21-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

The fat bomb verdict is:

OH WOW ....I can't wait to play some more with these, I have lots of ideas for making different ones. But eat sparingly, of course
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 260/191.6/135
WOE: LC/Wheat Gluten Free
Start Date: 5/29/13
Hi I picked up the magnesium at walmart its that NOW brand.
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Kim--How do you make those bombs?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Good morning girls!!

Just wanted to stop by and say a special HI to Monica (Zipp), Michelle and Jeannie! What a beautiful baby, and grand-kids J!!

Miss you all!

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

ANNA!!! I am soooooo happy to see you--please come back and tell us how things are going with you and the hubs--I know he was just diagnosed with some diabetic issues right? and are you still thinking about working? I have missed you and thought about you so very much--you have been missed my friend--truly! hope you decide to come back and visit with us and join us again!! I want to catch up! hugs!!