Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
~~LCMW~~JULY EDITION!!

Here we are in a new month already.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Hey Adi, thanks for starting us up. Missed you!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning!

Can't hardly believe it's July already. Weather is finally cooling down a bit, it was 109 over the weekend.

Garden is going well, I think I may have cucumbers soon. I'm growing 2 cherry tomatoes, one Black Cherry and one Bumblebee. The Bumblebee has the sweetest fruit, and it's about a foot and a half tall. The Black Cherry is about six feet tall and four feet wide and loaded. Guess which fruit I like better.

IF has been working for me with BP coffee. Still cooking a lot on my grill. DS hinted he'd like to do dinner this weekend here again, so good investment.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Dak - what do you put in the BP ice cream to make it chocolate? Not protein powder is it?

Hi Adi! How was your trip????

Hi Krit!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lil Miss, I ordered the Upgraded Chocolate powder, it is a nice quality of chocolate. I also bought his Upgraded Collagen, that stuff is really amazing. I'm getting old, or rather, my skin has been aging, a bit crepe-y across my forearms. After about a week and a half taking the Collagen (1tbs with an EmergenC) my skin is getting thicker, with better tone. I didn't think anything could do that.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
Dak, that collagen sounds interesting. My skin is doing the same thing, especially my forearms, hands and neck. How do you take it? Do you put it in your coffee?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Whats the website? Ugh. Maybe you cant say...
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

lilmiss - DS recycled Florida so we haven't been to GA yet. Will find out July 7th (which is his birthday) if we get to go to GA for the July 12th graduation. We re ready.

We are having a cool spell. Only got up to 91 today. Felt like 70 after the 106 on Saturday.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ideally, you take it right before bed, it's a powder I mix with emergenC (that fizzy vit C drink). I sure if you google 'upgraded collagen' it will come up. I'm so excited about this, I'm making my friends feel the skin on my arm, it's so cool. Can't say wrinkles are going away, but maybe with more time?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, you were hot too over the weekend, Adi! Glad it's cooling a bit. Keeping high hopes your DS graduates!!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh wow, you guys were really hit with the heat. It's been in the 90s here and raining EVERY day.

I read that the Collagen works best when combined with Vit C. I'm checking out the Emergen C website but I can't see if it contains sugar. Do you just mix the packets with water?

I read reviews on amazon for some of the collagen products they sell and it sounds like a miracle cure for everything that ails me LOL.

Anyone have any plans for tomorrow? DH is in Florida visiting some Navy friends so I'm on my own. I'm going out to dinner tonight with a few friends. I think tomorrow I'm going to spend a lot of time relaxing and reading and if it doesn't rain I'll go for a walk and bike ride.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kritter, I tried the collagen plain, just dissolved in water, and I didn't like the taste, so I some EmergenC around so it seemed like a good combo. I'm sure juice or something else work work too. EmergenC probably isn't the best source of vitamin C around.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've started taking Vitamin C in the morning and in the evening so maybe I'll stick to that and just add the collagen. I think I'll pick up some Crystal Light. Some of those have a pretty strong flavor and should be able to cover up the unpleasant taste.

Ugh speaking of unpleasant taste, I really have to get a colonoscopy. I'm way overdue. I really, really dread drinking that stuff.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've never had one, but I've driven my DH to his, wow, those are some good drugs they use for that procedure. I remember he must have asked me what I did during his surgery at least a half a dozen times.

Not sure what we're doing tomorrow, I'd like to go for hike along the coast, but it would also be nice to catch up with projects around the garden. I'm jaded about fireworks, I could really take or leave them. If we're home, we can see the display from one of the wineries that's close by.

(I just re-read my prior post, you can really tell I was typing on my phone, LOL)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DH & I took a road trip up to Big Sur yesterday, it got us out of the heat and it was so beautiful!

The place we wanted to go, Limekilm, was so crowded they weren't letting people in the time we arrived, so back tracked to a Monastery that we had passed. I've had friends that have done retreats there, but we've never visited. They had a new "Gift Store" sign at the bottom of their hill so we trekked up (in the car). The Monastery offers silent retreats for people, which was very evident because the moment we got out of the car sounds seem to assault us, birds, butterflies, bees, the ocean. There was a tameness about the wildlife, birds would let you get very close before they hopped away. Anyway, just downloaded my camera, here's some shots.

This is from the parking lot area,

I loved the play of light on this cactus,

We did make it to LimeKiln, back in the late 1800's they used to process the local limestone in huge kilns and then slide them down cables to the ocean, where most of it was shipped to San Francisco to make cement. It's such an incredibly beautiful area, thankfully, no more active kilns. It was hard to take pictures in the redwoods, especially as it was beginning to get dark, but you can get an idea of what it was like.

There was still water in the falls!

And of course, wildflowers.

I'm ready to go back!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, those pictures are beautiful. I love the waterfall. The water looks so clean and clear. Were you able to walk around the grounds at the monastery? It's amazing to me that you have cactus growing in the same area as redwoods.

I'm kind of the same way about fireworks. I don't like crowds and getting eaten alive by mosquitos so I never go out to see them, but if I happen to catch site of them from the convenience of my front porch, I enjoy them

I'm drinking my first glass of collagen. I put 2 tbs in a glass of almond milk and added some davinci sf vanilla. Tastes pretty good. I think tomorrow night I'll try it in some savory broth.

I couldn't wait to get out of work today. I made it to 3:45. Came home and drank a glass of wine and finished my book. Yesterday I read all day and took a 2 hour nap. I wasn't feeling good and I think I may have been running a fever. I felt better today and tomorrow I'd like to get out for some exercise, even if it's just a short walk.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wish we lived closer to Big Sur, when we lived on the coast, the best thing was that it was only an hours drive away. There's something so nourishing about redwood forests.

Drinking the collagen in a broth is a really good idea, flavorwise, and it should be heat stable. I've got my husband trying it, it's still early to tell, but I think it's helping him sleep more soundly.

Nice to have two days off now, especially having gotten away yesterday.

Hope you're not getting sick, Kritter, good that you can take the time off, whoever came up with a 40 hour work week was a sadist. I read Michael Pollan's "Cooking", he says that in the US trade unions bargained for more money, but that in Europe, they bargained for less hours. One of the reasons Europeans tend to cook more than Americans, they have more time, plus, most people enjoy cooking when they have the time for it. Where here in the US, busy moms bought hamburger helper.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak I couldn't agree more about the redwoods. It's like being in a magical place and you expect to see fairies and nymphs.

I am worried about the heat stability of the collagen so I'm going to just warm up the broth. And add a little mashed potato to give it a little oomph.

That is so interesting about the diff between Europe and the US. And having that extra time allows them to shop for fresh ingredients more often. Here, we tend to go food shopping once a week on the weekends and look for food that's going to last in the cabinet. When I was a kid, we never had fresh veggies and salads. Our veggies pretty much all came out of a can and we ate a LOT of hamburger helper and tuna helper LOL.

So I'm experimenting with yet another WOE. I have long suspected that I have gastroparesis and low stomach acid which I think is what makes it difficult for me to digest raw veggies. Actually, I can't digest certain raw veggies like broccoli at all but also have a lot of trouble with salad greens. I'm going to try eating a soft/liquid low fiber diet for a while to see if it helps and I'm supplementing with digestive enzymes and probiotics. So I'll be eating a soupy mix of chicken broth, mashed potatoes and some kind of protein - baby food chicken or an egg mixed in, or collagen powder. I'm also going to try soft cooked white rice and an egg. I'm supposed to eat low fat so I'll keep the fat in my food to a minimum and supplement with MCT oil capsules because I really want to get the benefit of that.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - once again you have posted some gorgeous photos. I took a picture of the neighbor's dried up hay field but that isn't pretty. Just depressing. Nothing green around here except where I left the water hose running by accident.

BUT we are going to GA. Kyle will graduate from Army Ranger School July 12. I can quit worrying about the swamp and the snakes and the alligators and the no food and no sleep. Such a weight off my shoulders. I feel so relieved for some reason. And it is his birthday so he got a great present.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So happy for you! That is the best news, I hope you and your DH enjoy your trip, will that be a long drive?

One of the reasons we went to the coast was to get out of the heat, it's pretty dry here too. We've joined a neighborhood group to protect our wells, so much new ag here, (specifically, wineries) are sucking up all our groundwater, and there's no plan to slow down at all.

DS came for dinner tonight, I spent way too much time in the kitchen. Next time I'm planning an easy menu.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Woo Hoo

Got my collagen from netrition! Also MCT oil. Excited to see what happens!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, that's exciting! I hope you have great results! Are you doing the BP coffee?

Kritter, interesting about the low stomach acid, how is your new diet working?
Or is it too early to tell?

Graduation in a couple more days! Doing anything special afterwards? Will he be home for a while?

My modem died yesterday, called AT&t and the rep thought that it was just the power cord. I've had the same modem for at least 5 years, but thought I'd at least try his fix, $5 power cord was all it needed.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - good call on the modem. Have no idea if DS gets any time off. Or when he reports somewhere else. Not sure he knows yet either. We will be leaving in about 2 hours and will drive all night. Easier to drive at night and cooler on the truck too. He will have a pass tomorrow and then graduates on Friday morning. We will be coming back on Saturday. It costs us $100 to have someone feed and milk for us since it is twice a day and we are thankful to get him to help us. So $300 for the helper and upward from there. But it is our only baby. I understand the picture and frame is $100 so I am up to $400 and we haven't left the driveway.
Plus I have a headache too.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Travel well, Adi! Night driving is always the best this time of year. LOL, it's dangerous to do the math on how much a trip is going to cost, it'll make you never want to leave. Sorry about your headache, hope it goes away. But think how great and slim you're going to be all all the pictures.

Weeds have gotten away from me, it's been too hot to want to do much besides water in the garden. Peppers are looking good, though. And I put in my application for the fair.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

All we have now are very small cantaloupes but they taste good just very small. We did good on the fuel though. Only filled up once on the way so I was surprised.
Then one of my expensive yearlings decided to kid before we left. DH had to assist. head was coming out but no legs so he had to find the legs and get them out first. Single doe kid, up and drinking before we left. Had to leave her on her dam since we could do nothing else.
DS seems fine. Doesn't look like he lost weight. He said he got knocked out on his jump and didn't wake up until he hit the ground. Oh yea. Glad they pull their parachute cords when they leave the plane. Since his truck has been sitting for two months, we had to go buy two batteries today. He can't drive until after graduation due to sleep deprivation so we will take his truck and our truck to graduation tomorrow so he can have it afterwards.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My new computer just died. I heard a pop sound and smelled burning and it went dead. I'll take it to the MAC store tomorrow. Typing on mty kindle fire is a pain!

Adi have a wonderful time at graduation!

Dak diet was ok but I think I was gaining so I've got to do lowcarb and low fiber. And I really have to concentrate on eating small frequent meals. And I take digestive enzymes.
I really liked the collagen powder in chicken broth but I'm having trouble getting it into me at night. Did you mention that that was the best time to take it?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

We're back!! I did not even bother weighing as my hands and feet are so swollen I do not want to get depressed. HaHa. So I will do a DD today and check in a few days.
White Oak Bend Dairy Goats - Blog
Check us out.
It is still hot and dry here but the promise of rain is in the forecast but I am not holding my breath.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, congratulation! You both must be so proud of your son. Plus, you look absolutely fabulous in you pic, you have the most beautiful posture. So many people have a forward head position, I've noticed that about you in your pics.

Kritter, I'll look up the reason why he says collagen is best taken at night, I'm on my phone right now.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Dak- I guess DH got his ramrod straight posture from me since I have noticed in photos that we stand alike. My Mother made me have good posture.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your mom was right!

Kritter, here is what I've read about taking collagen at night:

Deeper Sleep – Upgraded Collagen taken at bedtime deepens sleep, provides arginine to stimulate growth hormone release, and provides nutrients necessary to perform tissue repair while sleeping.

---

As the largest protein in the body, collagen is a chain of over 1500 amino acids. Collagen is the main building block of connective tissue, but unfortunately as we age, collagen naturally breaks down and diminishes over time. This decline in collagen often results in decreased stability, weaker and less elastic joints, thinner cartilage, internal inflammation, and dry, thin, less resilient skin.3

Within that chain of amino acids, collagen contains the amino acid, proline.2 Proline is required for our body to make tissue repairs. When tissue repair can keep up with tissue damage, the aging process can be slowed down. Every night our body attempts to repair damage to collagen in our arteries, our eyes, our joints, bones, tendons, skin, cartilage, the teeth, etc. Our body can actually make those repairs if it has enough of the necessary nutrients. Needless to say, a deficit of proline equals very slow healing.
---
We use protein for muscle repair and immune function. Your body repairs muscle tissue at night during deep sleep, and you want to make sure it has everything it needs to heal and grow new tissue. The problem is that most forms of protein are not well digested before bed. A lot of protein powders, and even most animal protein sources are fairly digestion intensive, so they can leave you with a heavy feeling during the night. They also take resources to digest that would be better used fueling your brain.

I recommend taking 1-2 tablespoons of hydrolyzed grass-fed collagen peptide before bed. Hydrolyzing the proteins makes them more digestible, so they don’t cause the problems listed above. When hydrolysis is done right (with enzymes not acids), it doesn’t create MSG.

---
It sure has been working for me, I hardly wake up now during the night, I'm out like a light.
Closed Thread