Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/210/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Good morning everyone!!

I am right there with everyone on the refocusing. I weighed yesterday and am back up to 184 from my low of 180 last week. What??

Back when I was 65 pounds heavier, if I lost my WOE mojo for a minute I would just *stall*. Now, I regain. Where is the complaint department for that??

I've got a couple of things to contribute that I found around the Internet this week: The first is on the subject of "how to enjoy a little of a good thing vs. eating it all and feeling bad afterwards". It's called the 50% rule, or Zeno's Paradox of Portion Control from Mireille Guiliano's "French Women Don't Get Fat" website (this bit is not actually in the book). If I get in trouble for posting the link, you can just Google it.

Anyway...Mireille's French Women trick goes like this:

Quote:
1) "I ask myself if I can live with half the amount being offered; indeed, will I be just as happy eating half as much?"

2) Eat half.

3) "I then ask myself whether I'm content, and therefore whether continuing would be a matter of pleasure or merely routine."

4) "Often I do continue eating, but I have only half of the half that's left. Then, after pausing, I consider half of what's left again."
I've been trying this myself, and have concluded that it's another good tool for the toolbox of tricks.

Next: A blog post on the best kind of feedback for motivation or to encourage yourself to stick with a difficult task (like changing our WOE and becoming healthy, for example: ).

Disclaimer: This blog is written by a Buddhist physician in Chicago who I like to read because he makes me think, but this post is not religious at all that I could tell. I found the info so generally valuable that I wanted to share it. Hope I don't accidentally offend or break the LCF rules. Here goes.

Quote:
Summary:

1) When we succeed in behaving in a way that moves us toward our goal, we should commend ourselves for our commitment to our goal, but not on our progress toward our goal (which we can accomplish by focusing not on our behavior but on our goal).

2) When we fail to behave in a way that moves us toward our goal, we should criticize ourselves for our insufficient progress, but not for our lack of commitment (which we can accomplish by focusing not on our goal but on our behavior).

3) When we attempt to accomplish a goal we’ve never attempted before, one which we have little to no experience or ability to accomplish, we should commend ourselves on our commitment by focusing on the fact that we continue to strive for it even as we make mistakes.

4) When we attempt to accomplish a goal we’ve accomplished before, one at which we have real expertise, we should look critically at our mistakes and failures in order to continually improve our ability to accomplish our goal better.

5) We should apply these same principles when offering feedback to others (especially children).
I hope any or all of this helps!

Tami, I've still got your mojo and I am rocking it!!

Um, in fact, I've had to turn to occasional dosing with ibuprofen because I'm enjoying your mojo a little too much. Weeding in the community botanical garden, walking everywhere...it's great, but I'm feeling it.

No plantar fasciitis here, though. Hey, isn't that a rock star kind of injury, like Steve Tyler has, from jumping around on stage for 3 hours in boots? I thought he mentioned it in his interview with Oprah. It sounded pretty awful.

Stacy, that tilapia recipe sounds really good, thank you! I'm going to try it!

Have you tried making chili with black soybeans yet? I don't have a recipe, I just make the usual chili recipe and sub a can of black soybeans for each can of pinto beans. The black soybeans are lc and really good!

I'm taking Gavin to the special needs dentist in Portland today. Wish us luck!

Happy Thursday all!!

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.

Last edited by lynne2u; 09-12-2013 at 09:13 AM..
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #482
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
That is all interesting reads Lynne! I think I am still an ALL or NOTHING kind of person. 1/2 of anything, I just don't think I can talk myself into! Better to merely DO WITHOUT! That being said, for my birthday I got 3 LARGE bags of M&M's. 2 plain and 1 PB (PB M&Ms are my CRACK as you all know). Last night I had 200c and I almost opened 1 of the bags, but I knew, I would never count out and only eat 200c. Instead I had a PB Granola bar! 1 bar, 190c! I ate it ALL! Not sure how long the M&M's will be with me. I still have the XXL bag of PB M&M's from July 4th I never opened. I seem to be hording them now! Better to have an UNOPEN bag, than an open one!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-20.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #483

Good luck to you both at the dentist. I have an appointment as does DD11 and DH today! It must be DENTAL DAY!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 212/206/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Stacy, that tilapia recipe sounds really good, thank you! I'm going to try it!

Have you tried making chili with black soybeans yet? I don't have a recipe, I just make the usual chili recipe and sub a can of black soybeans for each can of pinto beans. The black soybeans are lc and really good!
Yes, I have made my chili using black soy beans as a sub for the other beans and I love them. I think it's so great that we can have these as an option. I tend to forget to buy them though, so thanks for the reminder....I need to stock up!
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #485
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Sheesh...I start getting back to a regular routine and then things go all wonky again! Totally forgot about my summons for jury duty... and you betcha..I got chosen. Out of 250 possible people. I got chosen for a jury. Of 9. It was a verrrry short case, civil, and only lasted 2 days. It was interesting and actually kinda fun, it just royally threw things into chaos for 2 days as daddy-o had to schlep kiddos to and from school & work and get himself to work, etc We survived but I was so glad that it was just a couple days and not weeks and weeks, which ultimately that's what we were headed for according to the judge after the final verdict was read. He said there was a case with over 3000 pieces of evidence and a witness list with upwards of 100 people listed..that was the case we were being considered for..and a few of us changed in the last second while the big case settled at the 11th hr and we ended up going in for a small accident case that was 4 yrs old. I did my part and now I'll sit back and pray the courts leave me alone for a while!

I'm gearing up to begin anew on Monday with diet & exercise. Prepping foods on Sunday should help me get going and fly right. I'm ready for this. Mentally I think I have turned a corner in terms of my emotional upheaval that I struggled with the last couple months with my dads death and the way my family has behaved. Ultimately I can only take care of and deal with myself. I finally feel ready.

I have some reading to do here to catch up but it's lovely to see you ladies! I'm excited to see if I can actually lose SOMETHING on one of these challenges!!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
I've got a couple of things to contribute that I found around the Internet this week: The first is on the subject of "how to enjoy a little of a good thing vs. eating it all and feeling bad afterwards". It's called the 50% rule, or Zeno's Paradox of Portion Control from Mireille Guiliano's "French Women Don't Get Fat" website (this bit is not actually in the book). If I get in trouble for posting the link, you can just Google it.

Anyway...Mireille's French Women trick goes like this:

I've been trying this myself, and have concluded that it's another good tool for the toolbox of tricks.

I like this! I need to put this into practice!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Lynne & Monica, hope the dental appointments went well!

That was interesting reading, Lynne. Good stuff for sure. I'm not sure I could do the half or even half of half bit either, but I may give it a try. Not much to lose in trying it! Enjoy the mojo... hope it sticks around for quite a while for you! I've had my share of ibuprofen when the mojo was hanging out at my house

Hey Danielle! Whew... glad the complicated trial settled & you got something shorter! I spent 4 days as head juror before one of the lawyers decided they didn't want me... that's the closest I've came to actually hearing a case and I was happy to have been released! Sounds like you're in a great frame of mind! I'm really honestly trying to get there. I'm close, but it's still a struggle. I do think I'll get back to the ease of low carb and the ease of sticking to it, but this is only my second full solid day back at it (flubbed Monday & Tuesday late in the day!) so the appetite suppression, energy, etc. hasn't quite kicked in, but I am determined. I really don't want to see 200 again and I don't have much wiggle room left

Stacy, please keep sharing those recipes. I'm hoping some of your cooking talent will rub off on me
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #488

Danielle - sounds like you are in a good HEAD place for starting this. YOU CAN DO THIS Girl! I know you can! I am refocusing too! Heck, we all have to from time/to/time!

Tami - you can do this too! OH DS14 told me last night he wants to start running! I told him of C25K and he uploaded the app. Not sure he will follow through, but even mentioning it is HUGE!

Stacy, making anything amazing over the weekend??? I need inspiration! You are our recipe INSPIRATION here!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #489

Ladies it is FRIDAY! WOOHOO! Bring on the weekend. Now if I just didn't have to work today!

Weekend plans? DD11 has her first softball tournament with her new team. She is BEYOND excited. My parents are coming for it. Tonight she has 2 games, 7:30 and 9:00 (THANK YOU GOD it is in town). We are doing a picnic at the fields for dinner. Tomorrow she plays at 2:30. Sunday is bracket play. Tomorrow night we are having our pastor/wife/daughter over for dinner. It is Kim (wife's) birthday. They are Dear friends so we always enjoy hanging out with them. PROMISE is will clean up my mouth and behave! Sunday will be hopefully GAMES for DD11 (championship or such) I start teaching Sunday School again and there's church. If she is playing in the a.m., I will do SS and skip church...someone pray for me! Weather is PERFECT! Today sunny, low humidity and high of 78*, tomorrow EXACTLY the same! BRING ON FALL! LOVE IT!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #490

GO HUMMERS Lawrence Girls Softball 12U!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Your weather sounds amazing, Monica! We're 88-90 for the weekend which is my perfect weather! Warm enough that the mornings and evenings are amazing, and cool enough that you don't die mid day. lol Enjoy your time with the pastor & his family and teaching Sunday School. That would be fun! Very cool about your son & C25K - assure him that if I can do it anyone can! Really! Lastly, GO HUMMERS!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Monica- Yes today I am making another favorite that I haven't made in a while. I look to Linda Sue's website for easy low carb recipes A LOT. I am making Swiss Mushroom Chicken today and serving with a side of green beans. The chicken is pan cooked; once cooked, top with sauteed mushrooms, deli ham and swiss cheese - and allow the cheese to melt. I love it!

This weekend - not sure yet. I'm actually in the mood for pot roast, so I may do that on Sunday. If I come up with anything fun for Saturday, I will surely post!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy weekend, ladies!

Tami~ I'm trying, I really am. I really have wanted this for so long and believe that I did try my hardest each time. Not being able to account for what life throws at you is what has knocked me off my game. The jury thing was fun..I did grand jury a couple years ago that is a comittment of 4 months/2days a week.. My job was less than thrilled but they had to let me do it, not to mention my company actually paid me to be gone! You'll be back to that routine before you know it, the first few days are always tough. I am dreading the first couple days of my start next week....I've eaten horribly and really looking forward to some clean healthy foods.

Monica~ It's unfortunate that I've needed to refocus a few too many times Your weekend sounds busy, but fun! I think it's wonderful that your parents are so involved with the kiddos and their sports. They will remember that for the rest of their lives!
Our weather here is still in the "hot range"..105'ish still We had rain for days and now we've got sunshine and hot temps for the next week.. Meh.

Stacy~ keep those recipes coming, I have no imagination when it comes to cooking!

SO happy it's the weekend...this week has felt like an eternity. I'll be spending the weekend trying to figure out my menus and doing some food prep on Sun. I want this to work and I want to not have to stress about being in the kitchen all day long. Mentally I am feeling better, I cannot believe how far down in the dumps I had gotten. I find that lately I am sleeping alittle better just from feeling better emotionally. My poor husband has had to deal with me for months now just being a mental case...poor guy

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #494

Tami - sounds like your temps are improving too!

Stacy- I will have to check out the swiss mushroom chicken!

Danielle- keep at it girl! No matter how many refocused times there are, it's all worth it!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #495

Quiet in here! Good weekend for us. DD's team won 3 and lost 2. The bracket play loss was brutal. Bad call (which I NEVER state) ruined the game. DD11 was pitching and we had 2 outs, bases loaded, threw a 3rd strike and catcher dropped the ball. Catcher stepped on homeplate (which is all that is needed when bases are loaded) and our team started leaving the field. The other teams runners even walked off, ONE making it back to the dug out when their coach screamed for them to head back on and run the bases. Stupid refs let them go back on and counted all 4 runs! We lost the game 5-6! Tough loss, but good learning lesson. Sometimes in life, BAD CALLS are made!

Other than that, it was all good. Weather was amazing! Friday nights games were chilly. I LOVE FALL!

How is everyone else??
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #496
Blabbermouth!!!

Monica~ that sucks ROYALLY for DD!!! Poor kid!! Good lesson, but OUCH!
I wish I could say the weather was 'crisp' here We're still in 105 degree weather and it's miserable.
Saw Insidious 2 on Sat with DD..it was good. I hadn't seen the first one so I don't know if it was better or worse LOL... she loves thriller/suspense type stuff so the two of us have a blast giggling as we're waiting to get scared.

Today is day 1 for me.. so far down the hatch: greek yogurt w/ fruit and a bottle of water. Getting ready to make a couple scrambled eggs here in a few, as soon as I get DH off to work. This eating withing 30 min. of waking is the strangest thing to me, but I'm doing it cause Chris Powell said so!

I am ready for the bloat to go away and praying like heck it does the trick for the weirdo bloat thing that's been going on with my tummy... now *that* is truly miserable and I don't care to ever experience it again.

Playing catch up today with all the chores I didn't do this weekend.. went shopping and to the movies instead I'm gonna burn one of my new candles (cinnamon pumpkin) and try to will the weather to change to something more "fall like"..
Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

It is quiet in here... how's the refocusing going for everyone? I'm down 3 this week to 191, but still 4 pounds above my previous low... I'll take it. I noticed appetite suppression, etc. kicking in over the weekend so yay

Ugh, Monica! That call was ridiculous! I hate seeing games decided by the adults on the field

Ok, Stacy, whadja cook?

Danielle, I'm so glad things are starting to return to normal for you. I know it was a really rough time. Like Monica, said, it doesn't matter how many times you have to refocus & start over. I have a feeling this will be a lifelong battle for most of us with lots of refocusing in the future, so I figure this is good practice for when we're at goal and the weight starts to creep up a bit.

Happy Monday y'all
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #498
Major LCF Poster!

Was typing as you posted, Danielle... I think Dr. Atkins said to eat within a short time from waking as well. Good luck on your first day! Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Your greek yogurt reminded me that I think I've finally found a solution to my super high calorie ranch dressing that I can't seem to break away from. I actually stop eating salads when I'm trying to watch calories because I can't find a good ranch substitute. Well, over the weekend I tried plain greek yogurt mixed with a packet of powdered ranch mix & a little bit of milk to thin it and it was not bad at all! I figured the whole little jar I made was about 120 calories and 10 carbs. I used maybe a third of the jar for a huge salad... normally I'd use a minimum of 4 Tbsp of ranch on a salad that size for about 240 calories of just ranch. I think this recipe is a keeper!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #499
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Tami! I am hoping that this sends me on a good path, that it's something that I can stick with and truly make work to my advantage. It's crazy how far off the path I'd gotten!

Love the idea with the ranch! I will have to try that!!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

The ranch was a little sour, but not bad at all.

Man, it's so easy to get off path... way off path. I know. It's a fun journey, but doesn't get us to the destination we're hoping for
Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #501
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
The ranch was a little sour, but not bad at all.

Man, it's so easy to get off path... way off path. I know. It's a fun journey, but doesn't get us to the destination we're hoping for
I have a really hard time with trying to balance happiness...if that makes sense? For the first time in probably forever, the last few years I had truly found my happiness after coming out the horrific end to some life-changing events... and I have realized how much I struggle with just "being" and living in the moment and also being able to stay present to what my actual goal is of losing weight. It has also taken me a lifetime of actually finding that place of being truly happy with my body, just as it is...lumps and all I found that place the last few years and the balancing act began.. before it was so easy to jump on a plan and work it for all it was worth because I truly did not like what I saw in the mirror...lots of self loathing going on there.. so this time around I am really working on being in the moment and while appreciating the happiness I've found and my body, also keeping in mind that things have to change, if not just for health reasons alone!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #502

Danielle- If nothing else, LOOKING at Chris P is fun! So you tube him so you can SEE his adorable little face. Even though I never go for guys shorter than me...HIM I could make an exception for!

Tami - yes it was a crap call, such is. Thankfully DD11 didn't take it as her fault/issue. SHe was struggling with her pitching and had just made it back to strike out the 2 last batters. Coach made sure the catcher didn't take it on either. CRAP is what it was. Good thing is, we got to be done then, so I had the afternoon to hang out and watch more Homeland! LOVE that show.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
I have a really hard time with trying to balance happiness...if that makes sense?
It makes perfect sense & it's not easy! I have faith in you, though. We can be happy regardless of the food we're trying to eat/not eat at the moment

Update on the greek yogurt ranch... eh... ok... day 2 has me thinking it's really too sour... as in my tongue is burning a bit for some reason sour. Not sure about adding a sweetener, but may try that with the little bit I have left. Any other ways to reduce how sour it is? I was so excited... now, not so much.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #504
Blabbermouth!!!

Tami, I would think that adding just the slightest smidge of a sweetener would help? I don't think it'd take much..kinda like when you make ranch using buttermilk, the buttermilk is sweet, no? I've never made my own dressing before so I am the wrong one to probably be saying anything

Monica~ yes, CP is definitely adorable..and in my case, he is still taller than me!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
It is quiet in here... how's the refocusing going for everyone? I'm down 3 this week to 191, but still 4 pounds above my previous low... I'll take it. I noticed appetite suppression, etc. kicking in over the weekend so yay

Ok, Stacy, whadja cook?
I was focused all week until Saturday evening and Sunday AND I had a bad early start today!!! There is a lot of chocolate in this house and its the week before my T.O.M., so this is totally typical for me. TOM also means Stacy drinks wine! Its so hard!

Saturday - husband and I decided while we were out running errands, that shrimp scampi sounded good. So we made that along with some browned broccoli. Shrimp scampi calls for dry white wine....

Sunday I made a easy pot roast and had side salad with that.

Today, I am making Linda Sue's Oven BBQ'd Chicken. I love her recipe for low carb barbeque sauce. I double it and use about half for the chicken recipe and save the rest for another use. I believe I will be eating leftovers for the next few days. I also have an abundance of zucchini, so while thats baking, I may try my hand at some low carb zucchini fritters. I have pinned several recipes recently and will make the lowest carb one, provided I have all the ingredients. I'll post the recipe once I figure out which one I make.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Yum Yum Yum... all of the food sounds delish! Shrimp scampi sounds pretty amazing right now... simple and yummmy!

Sorry you had a rough weekend & Monday morning, tho. I just went through 2 weeks of stupid hormonal stuff and did not do so well in the eating department. It sucks! I say just hang on the best you can & be easy on yourself. Hugs...

Haha... that's what I'm thinking, too, Danielle, but I am so not a cook. We'll see...
Old 09-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #507
Blabbermouth!!!

Reading Stacy's list of food and I am drooling
We made a roast the other day and I dunno what it was but all of us could not get enough...practically had DD licking the pot Will have to make another later this week!!

Stacy, really feeling ya on the chocolate thing..I found myself practically dancing a jig when I realized that there won't be much chocolate in this house anymore since DD's dx of wheat & soy allergies..it's in pretty much all of it. Certainly helps my efforts

Tami~ I am not much of a cook either, but I think this plan is going to force me to figure some things out if I don't wanna get bored & if I wanna eat!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post

Monica~ yes, CP is definitely adorable..and in my case, he is still taller than me!
Danielle , somehow I thought you were taller! Like my height at 5'8", guess I was wrong! CP is still adorable, then there is his BULGING muscles too!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy O View Post
TOM also means Stacy drinks wine! Its so hard!

Saturday - husband and I decided while we were out running errands, that shrimp scampi sounded good. So we made that along with some browned broccoli. Shrimp scampi calls for dry white wine....
Stacy, I love WINE! I am currently trying to cut back and I have done well at that. There's just something about kicking back with a glass and reflecting on the DAY!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #510

Quote:
Stacy, really feeling ya on the chocolate thing..I found myself practically dancing a jig when I realized that there won't be much chocolate in this house anymore since DD's dx of wheat & soy allergies..it's in pretty much all of it. Certainly helps my efforts
What chocolate type stuff does she eat? Most chocolate candy stuff is GF! Maybe it is cakes and stuff she likes. Let me know if/when she is ready for some recipes. ALso, has she been able to put on some weight?