Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Liz, the pancakes really were good. I made some for hubby yesterday and even he liked them

Monica, WooHoooooo on being down 3 pounds and getting soooo close to your all time low! Slow & steady works! Hang in there this week... just a couple of days and then the pieces will just have to fall where they may. It'll all be fine! Hope you and hubby can squeeze a little fun into the business trip

Gina, welcome to my bouncy world. I'm still up a couple from vacation. I'm sure they'll leave soon, but I may faint if I ever hit a new low. lol Sorry the neighbor is being a pain. I'm glad the home manager took the time to take note of it and contact you guys, though. I know you had an idea he may not be acting in Granddad's best interest, but sometimes it's good to have an outsider with an unbiased opinion see what you've suspected, too.

So I'm down one from last week, up two still from pre-vacay. It's fine. I decided to run last night and it went well. I probably could have done the 30 minutes but checked my phone and it was 28+ minutes & I decided it was good enough. It's incredibly hot & humid again (did someone move me to the south and forget to tell me? sheesh.. there's a reason I don't live there!) so even at 11:00pm last night it was still in the 80's. Forecast called for 70ish by 6 am and since I wasn't sleeping anyway I figured I'd rather get it over with last night and not have to get up at 5:30 this morning Oh, and I got my 'RooSport' magnetic pocket & jogged with it for the first time last night. It worked perfectly and was worth every penny. There was no bouncing, no movement, nothing. I didn't worry about it or my phone that was in it at all. That opens up my running clothes shopping options significantly and you know it's all about the shopping Honestly I figure if I keep spending money on running 'stuff' I'll be guilt-ed into continuing, right? I tried on a pair of running tights/capris yesterday and they weren't as hideous as I thought they would be, but they didn't have the color I wanted in my size, so ordered a couple of pair online & a couple more tank tops. Not sure what I'm going to do when it gets cold as I love running in tanks. We'll cross that bridge when it gets here.... we obviously still have a couple of months of warm weather, which I do love... someone just needs to turn on a giant fan & blow the humidity away

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Good morning everyone!!

Danielle, I think we get better and better at getting back on the horse every time we do it. Don't you? I used to flounder around for months or even years trying to get my nerve back up and jump back on. Now time is shorter. I'm not breaking any land-speed record to skinnyland, but I'm skinnier and fitter than I was 10 years ago.

Monica, GREAT job on being down 3 to 171!! You're doing great. You've got a lot on your plate, as usual.

And...how did the surprise party go??

Tami, I am in of your exercise dedication. It's been killer humid here too for the past week. I wish more than ever that we lived on the same block, because I would definitely come walk/jog/waddle with you!! I need to keep exercise on the table. It keeps falling off.

Those pancakes do sound good. Easy, too.

Gina, I'm sorry about the extra stuff that's found its way to your plate (granddad's house sale) but glad that he's going to be back in the hands of people who love and care about him.

It sounds like the home manager, who has undoubtedly seen this sort of thing many times before, is on your (and your granddad's) side.

Hopefully this change will actually reduce your stress with relieving the worry about him.

Me... I'm struggling with my DDs. Why? Because my protein powder ran out, and it became something I had to THINK about. Thinking on DDs is too much to ask.

And because life is overwhelming me a little bit right now. Some of the people who live here in the trailer park have hooligan children, and Gavin is starting to act out in ways that alarm me!! Parents, what do you do when your kid pushes your last button??

I'm cracking down today. I'm realizing I bent over backwards this summer trying to compensate for the things we've lost (because money has been tight), and given him lots of attention, and he's acting like an entitled little brat! Some days I want to trade him for a puppy; even one who chews shoes is okay!!

I'm thinking restricting his time with the hooligans is a good place to start. Thoughts?

Happy Monday!! (If I forgot somebody I'm sorry, kinda overwhelmed right now!)

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lize636
Stats: 225/186/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov 2009, restart March 2013
Lynne- I completely understand how you are feeling!! I get so overwhelmed with my girls at times. It's because we care enough to correct them that we can get frustrated. We want our kids to behave. Young children can be a lot of work. No matter how frustrated I get I try to remain calm and stand my ground. There are days I just want to give in because it is so much easier to give them what they want but I am trying my very best not to. I also need to remember what it will teach them in the long run. Hang in there momma

Lize636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
I'm thinking restricting his time with the hooligans is a good place to start. Thoughts?
Sounds like a good place to start, but try not to focus on the hooligans, only the behavior that you expect from Gavin. Call the consequences 'less outside time' but not 'less hooligan time' - simplified example, but I know you get it. Time to go over the old rules, put them in writing if needed, and remind him of your expectations. Let him have some input & give in to things that don't really matter to you so he feels like he has a say and has some control. Offer him 10 minutes extra play time before dinner if he's meeting your expectations. (Ten minutes is nothing in the scheme of your day, but he doesn't know that). The good news is that school starts soon and his time with the hooligans will be limited anyway. They're probably all a bit restless and acting out more than normal right now, too. I have a feeling the return of school will be a good thing in the trailer park If there's one or two kids that behave better try fostering a stronger relation ship between Gavin and those kids. Have them spend the night? Take them out to lunch? Take them to the park, library, whatever. Our kids used to be on a year around track system and I LOVED the two kids on our block who were on the same track as my guys, so that worked out well, but when all of the kids were out at the same time for a couple of weeks over the summer (omg... ) I made extra effort to get my kids out of the neighborhood as much as possible. Good luck! It's a tough one as you really don't want him picking up their bad behavior. Some is inevitable, but I think you're right on track with limiting his exposure.

Btw, I think I told you I lived in a trailer park when I was a kid. Me and a girlfriend tied one of the hooligan children to a picnic table and left him there. Yikes. Sounds awful now, but the little brat (all of 7 or 8 years old?) was running around pinching our butts and we had had enough. lol
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #365
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Me... I'm struggling with my DDs. Why? Because my protein powder ran out, and it became something I had to THINK about. Thinking on DDs is too much to ask

YES thinking on DD's IS sometimes too much to ask.

I agree, restrict his time with the trouble makers. Heck, I simply wouldn't allow it. I explained it to my kids as such.....if you hang with them, YOU are like them! I agree with Tami, give another reason for it! No reason to allow the BAD influence to continue, especially because of Gavin's struggles!! I have ZERO toleration for those that act out/disrespect/or otherwise do not act in an appropriate fashion.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Guess what day it is??? lol I couldn't help myself. Its been quiet in here what is everyone up to????
Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

It has been quiet in here! Happy Hump Day

Still just plugging along.. ran Sunday night & yesterday morning, so will run tomorrow & maybe Saturday. I'd rather do a hike or something on Saturday, but hubs has been so busy that it probably won't happen. Maybe I'll do a long walk in the neighborhood instead? I dunno!

Hope you're all doing well! Monica, have a great trip if I haven't already missed you...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!!

Hey there, Liz, happy hump day!!

Thank you all for your replies, and limiting his time outdoors (when certain people are also out there) is working great! And yes, I'm concentrating on NOT saying the word "hooligans" when their parent(s) are present.

I've taken the direction being heartless about taking his privileges away when he's bad. It's not even safe for him to struggle with me the way he does, I can't afford to tolerate it at ALL. If I was a 200 pound man with a strong back, okay - but I'm not!

Tami, I'm trying to understand the RooSport. It's magnetic, and holds credit cards (for example) in its pouch - doesn't the magnet damage the phone and the credit cards? It must not, but I always thought it would. Pretty cool .

I think you're wise not to run as much in the humidity. The last thing you want is a heat-related problem, and the humidity has got to pass eventually, right? (Right?)

It's been blazing hot here, too, which it usually isn't. It's usually freezing. The hotter it gets in Portland, the colder it is out here on the beach.

I'm still struggling to break into the trailer park clique, I'm afraid, Tami.

The lady with the better kids has taken some sort of dislike to me. She's quite friendly when she's been drinking, which is pretty often; but shies away from me/snubs me otherwise. She has yet to even let me take her kid on a walk with us down to the end of the road and back. She talks about liking us and loving Gavin, but her actions are still avoidance. I've even gone so far as to ask her if I've offended her in some way, but she denies it.

In other news... JUDDD is working its usual magic on me. I'm not losing a ton of weight right now, I weighed in at 183 this morning, but my body composition is changing and I'm looking awesome! (If I do say so myself.) My old jeans still don't fit comfortably, and I'm 25 pounds up from where I was, but progress is still being made!!

I got more protein powder at the drugstore, so I'm back in the saddle. I got muscle milk brand, it doesn't taste as good as pure protein brand, but it's okay with davinci syrup in it.

How's everybody doing?? I agree with Liz, it's been pretty quiet in here!!

Happy Wednesday, ladies!

Lynne
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Glad things are coming together with Gavin a bit. You're right, you don't need to be struggling physically with him at this point. He's going to be bigger than you in no time, so setting the ground rules right now is a GREAT idea! So sorry about the lady with the better behaved kids being a snot Don't worry yourself trying to figure it out, though. You just never know why people do the things they do. Maybe she's embarrassed about something, maybe she's just a snot. Either way, her loss.

The magnet in the RooSport is supposed to be fine for phones & credit cards, but some old original ipods use an older technology that the magnet can interfere with and the magnet in the pouch can erase hotel keys - something about them using a weaker strip than credit cards... but actual credit cards & phones are supposed to be perfectly safe. I erased my hotel key in Vegas by keeping it next to my phone, while credit cards are fine in the same holder as my phone, so that part makes some sense to me. They swear it's safe outside of those two exceptions, though.

So glad you were able to get some protein powder & even happier for you that JUDDD is working it's magic! Yay!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and humidity has blown out & away! We're still a bit overcast because of smoke, but our temps have dropped 10-15 degrees and it's all good again
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 223/204/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Hello - just checking in. I'm around but swamped...I visited my P's in Wisconsin last Thurs-Saturday, celebrated my MIL's b-day on Sunday, and I'm moving my DD19 back to college this week (this will be 3-day ordeal). Hope everyone is well!
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #372
Senior LCF Member

Stacy - good luck on the back to college move. I have some time before I have to do that for my kids. Its sounds like a lot of work.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Tami - Glad to hear the weather is getting better!!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Just checking in ladies... hope you're all doing well?
I've bounced right back up to 202 - soooo not impressed!

The visit to my Grandad yesterday almost went without hitch until we were told by one of the carers they'd overheard Colin (The nasty neighbour) saying to my GRandad that he didn't want him seeing my Mum again.

Livid doesn't come close to describe the crazy ass emotions I've got going on right now but it's all been reported to Safeguard who are a governing body who oversee adult social services run by The Church of England in the area and they are now investigating and will hopefully ban Colin from visiting the home.

Just gonna go through and catch up on everyones stories now.. x

Read my journal Asthma/Fibromyalgia/IBS/ME
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Gina- It is sad that someone could do that to an elderly person. I just dont understand how someone could say something like that, you guys are his family. I hope everything gets straightened out soon so that nasty man cant cause anymore problems. Hugs
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

Gina, that is just awful. How sad & frustrating for all of you Oh, and my Vegas 'bounce' hasn't gone anywhere, so I feel your pain there. I've been sitting around 190-191 all week. lame.

Stacy, good luck with your busy weekend!

I've ran a couple of times at night this week and it's kind of convenient on the nights that hubby is going to be out late anyway, but I got a little freaked out last night with a car that was making u-turns and just seemed a little odd to me. I'm sure they were just lost, but it did get my adrenaline pumping and I'll probably be less likely to run at night. Otherwise the running is going ok. Nothing spectacular, but ok. I am expecting some running clothes in the mail today & tomorrow. That should be fun. I hope they look decent enough to wear out of the house. lol
Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #377
Senior LCF Member

Happy Friday everyone- any plans for the weekend??

Tami- New workout clothes is always exciting!!! I am sure they will look great on you.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #378

Good morning everyone! I am back in KS. I seem to have brought the heat back with me. Highs of 98*-105* all this week!! ARGH!!! I was hoping we were done with summer, I guess not!!

crazy busy here. I didn't count a THING while I was gone. DS14 wanted today to be an up day...so I was fine with that. Keeping it to 1900c will be an IMPROVEMENT on what it has been!

How is everyone here?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Monica! Welcome back!!

It's so cool that your DS14 can share this WOE with you, too.

Forgot to mention it, but I weighed in at exactly 180 a couple of DDs ago!

In other news, not to be a drama queen...but I went to a women's health fair on Saturday for the free cancer screenings, and the nurse/midwife who examined me found something suspicious in my left breast, so she's referred me for a diagnostic mammogram. I'm trying not to worry about it, it's probably nothing.

One week 'til school starts. Can't wait.

For the impatient - I've passed the 15,000 word mark on my first draft today. Sorry it's going so slow, but it's bound to pick up after school starts again! Right??

Gina, I hope the authorities BUST this Colin fellow. He sounds like a bit of a criminal to me. Maybe he's got a record of elder abuse and they'll put him in jail.

Happy Monday everyone!!

Lynne
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Monica- Welcome back!!!

Lynne- You are not being a drama queen at all!! Please keep us updated that is very scary. I am praying it is nothing to be concerned about.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Agreed, Lynne. That's scary stuff, even if it is probably nothing. Do keep us posted. And yes, we expect the writing to pick up after school starts

Welcome home, Monica! Hope you guys had a good time!

HoHumHoHumHoHum here. lol. Blew it Friday night, got it back together Saturday, Blew it Sunday night. Hmmm. I'll get it back together. It's not fun feeling fatter! Today is on plan and will stay that way.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Tami- Don't be so hard on your self I have been on the verge of wanting to cheat. I dont know what my problem is I just want something bad!!! I keep telling myself I have to make it through the week until I go to visit my brother in North Carolina (I am giving myself the weekend off from dieting)
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Lynne - Way to go on the 180!!

I'm still bouncing around 200-201. Been so good this week, every day under 1500 calories and it's not even been that difficult!
Very tempted to have a bit of a cheat day after my weigh in (have to fit college enrolment and doctors appointment in tomorrow as well!) then have a DD on Thursday and see how that affects things!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #384

Lynne - please follow up with us as you get your appointment set! I am patiently waiting for the books girl! I just started reading SLAMMED last night. It's the author I was telling you about that merely had a book available on Amazon for family and so many downloaded it, she got published! So far, it is GREAT!

Tami - I agree, don't be so hard on yourself. Dust off the crumbs and move forward!

Liz - how goes it with you? Girls keeping you busy? Enjoy your weekend in NC, YES, you should take it off, I KNOW I AM! What part of NC?

Gina - way to go girl! You have a busy day ahead of you tomorrow!

Managed a 1900c up day! Today is a DD, so far, so good, but it's early! DS14 was up till 11:00 p.m. working on homework last night! WOW, High School is tough. He is in all advanced classes and his "electives" he is taking are Spanish 2 and Debate....doesn't leave for any sluffing off! He seems to be enjoying it. I'm sure it is all fine!

Monica -Come see my journey!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Hmmmm need to start Thursday on an UD if I want to make next Thursday a DD!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Monica- The girls always keep me running around!!! School started yesterday for my DD6 and next Tuesday DD4 starts pre-k I was driving home yesterday from picking up the kids and I realized I have a 1st grader..... and the 3 years leading up to 1st grade flew by which means before I know if my kids will be grown. Trying to freeze time but it just isn't working

We are headed to Asheville NC my brother moved there a few months ago, so we are finally getting down there to visit. I have a feeling I won't want to come home. I have heard so many nice things about it.

Still chugging along on the diet side of things. Down to 178 and hoping to see 175 before I leave. That will put me at my first goal!!! I have a feeling I will adjust my goal down to 155 or lower not sure just yet. I just know I want to feel skinny!!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #387

Liz - I bet you won't want to leave. How far is that from where you live? Make it to the first goal, YOU CAN DO IT! You are so very close!

Gina - it's fun working the rotations, isn't it?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Liz - I bet you won't want to leave. How far is that from where you live? Make it to the first goal, YOU CAN DO IT! You are so very close!
Its about an 8 hour drive from MD. Thanks for the encouragement I know I can do it so long as my body cooperates!!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Hi girls! Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I think I'm not hard enough on myself It's like hubby & I are finally finding time for just us, but it's tough balancing going out & having fun with eating well! If I were already at goal (as I probably would be if I'd quit messing around!) a day off here and there wouldn't be a big deal... I guess it's still not or I wouldn't do it, right? Anyway... back to chugging along. Good low carb days yesterday & today. I'm going to start tracking again tomorrow so I can keep better track of calories. As much as I hate the thought of it I have a feeling I need to really watch cals and not just loosely guess as I have been. Bummer, but ready to get on with this.

Liz, have a great trip! I've heard nothing but wonderful things about North Carolina.

Monica, I'm sure DS will fall into a rhythm with homework and hopefully will only have occasional late nights. I'm glad he seems to be enjoying HS, though. It's such a huge transition!

Gina enjoy that extra UD! Glad you're still doing well & enjoying JUDDD. I really did enjoy it, but was still fighting the whole calorie counting thing. I really need to get the notion of hating counting calories out of my head!

It's almost Wednesday already! I know I'm already looking forward to the 3 day weekend!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 223/204/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Hi Ladies - here is my update:

5/31/13: 223 lbs. (5'7")
6/17/13: 215 lbs
6/29/13: 213 lbs
7/12/13: 209 lbs.
7/27/13: 207 lbs.
8/6/13: 211 lbs.
8/28/13: 209 lbs.

Life should be getting back to normal now. I shouldn't have to do any traveling until November or December. I did not stay full on plan during my visit to my parents or my trip to take my daughter back to school, but I'm focused now that I am home and in my usual pattern

One of these days I'm going to research what JUDDD is all about. I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know what it means, but I'm intrigued by your UD's and DD's

Liz - I love Asheville! My grandparents used to live there, so I have many fond memories of taking road trips there.

LC Dinner tonight: will be tuna salad on top of salad greens w/red wine vinegar/olive oil..just thought I'd share! I'd love to hear what others are having as well, have a good night!

Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote