Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/133/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I used GABA and 5htp when I began this journey. They seemed to help but I haven't taken them/needed them since the end of March. This past weekend we had a huge party at our home. I made brownies and honestly, that was a tough one for me. When I cut them to serve I totally wanted to dive right in...but I didn't because I know one taste and I am off and running.
They smelled great but I got over it and I felt better for not having eaten any. I like to think I'm taking care of that inner child by keeping her safe... from herself!

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/189/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
This is such an awesome thread. Thanks to everyone!!!!

Clackley - I really take hope from what you have accomplished and experienced with NK. I've been avidly reading on those threads. Congratulations. I want what you have.

I also love the "thin commandments" and the CBT examples. There is so much good stuff on this thread I can use in my fight to get free of food cravings and weight gains. THANK YOU!!

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Yeah, and who really wants just one cookie?
I don't want cookies. I just don't care about them one iota. There are other foods I would find it more difficult to ignore, though. It really is interesting to know which foods we each are personally tempted by, and which we feel indifferent about. That's another thing in Gullo's book: knowing your own history with particular foods.

On another part of this thread topic: I think people have their own ideas about what "overeating" or "binge-eating" looks like for them--some people truly binge, compulsively eating quantities of food that cause them physical discomfort and misery, while others have something like off-plan ice cream or some popcorn, or some of their kids' Halloween candy, and feel like that was a "binge". (Sometimes I wish we as a culture didn't use eating disorder terms in such a mainstream way these days, because I think it diminishes the seriousness of actual eating disorders, but we do use those terms all the time and I don't see that changing any time soon.)

The good thing is, these methods like Stephen Gullo's, and the ones described by spaceace, pretty much apply across the whole of weight management.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
On another part of this thread topic: I think people have their own ideas about what "overeating" or "binge-eating" looks like for them--some people truly binge, compulsively eating quantities of food that cause them physical discomfort and misery, while others have something like off-plan ice cream or some popcorn, or some of their kids' Halloween candy, and feel like that was a "binge". (Sometimes I wish we as a culture didn't use eating disorder terms in such a mainstream way these days, because I think it diminishes the seriousness of actual eating disorders, but we do use those terms all the time and I don't see that changing any time soon.)

The good thing is, these methods like Stephen Gullo's, and the ones described by spaceace, pretty much apply across the whole of weight management.
Yes... I intentionally included both "overeaters" and "bingers" because I was thinking I wanted to be inclusive of any behaviors that feel out of control. I would say that I'm technically more of an overeater, but once you string together enough overeating, well, sometimes I verge into binging. Either way, though, it's the loss of control that seems to be the big problem.

And I think there is so much in Brain Over Binge that is helpful for me even though my style of overeating or binging is very different from hers. So, I think even though our behaviors are probably all a little different, there's also probably a lot of overlap.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #35

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Either way, though, it's the loss of control that seems to be the big problem.

Yes, exactly.

Quote:
And I think there is so much in Brain Over Binge that is helpful for me even though my style of overeating or binging is very different from hers. So, I think even though our behaviors are probably all a little different, there's also probably a lot of overlap.
I agree and I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say about using ED terminology. It's similar to how the word "bullying" is currently being overused. Bullying is a real thing, but every slight or insult, everything that causes hurt feelings, is not necessarily "bullying".
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
Way to create an awesome thread rubidoux!

Thanks for everyone's input!
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
"I am not 'strong or disciplined'...far from it. I am simply determined to hold onto this peace I have achieved in my mind and body. "

This. Thanks Cathy.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Love this thread and all the wonderful ideas, thoughts, suggestions and mind storming that is going on!!

Last edited by Beeb; 06-13-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Beeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
For those of us who are truly binge eaters and, as you put it "compulsively eat quantities of food that causes physical discomfort and misery" there never seems to be an end in sight at times. When I hear someone say they "binged" on ice cream and went off plan I want to reach out and say I WISH I only "binged" on ice cream or eat "way to many calories for that day then they should have" and went off plan! I start with the ice cream and continue with any other sugary, salty, carby thing I can get my hands!! Forget a "few too many calories"! If I ever decided to even count the calories after a binge it would probably blow my mind and REALLY make me hate myself!! It's terrible, and it makes me miserable!!

And yes, "binging" is a word (like words like stalled when someone hasn't lost anything in a few days, to use another example here) that are thrown around WAY too much, and as you pointed out, have lost their true meaning along the way. It's so sad to me!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Good posts.
I have the beginnings of an eating disorder (NES), so expecting willpower to solve my issue is foolish.
Amen to this statement!! ^^^^ I was diagnosed with Night Eating Syndrome (NES) a few months ago and even though I now KNOW what I have it doesn't help to get rid of it; just puts a name on the binge monster!!

Before I was told what my problem was it felt like I was entering hell every night after dinner and no amount of willpower and positive thinking was going to stop me from walking through hell's door every night!!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I love this thread and I want to add something to it about a recent discovery of mine. I have been a lowcarb girl for many years, and I agree with everyone here who says that eliminating grains and sugar is extremely helpful. Nonetheless, I have also found that like everyone else here, too much elimination/deprivation is very bad for me because it leads to binging.

Here is the part that I never would have predicted for myself. As a result of doing the potato hack, I was led to eating a more plant based diet--sort of kind of Fuhrman style (lowfat veganish) and the weird weird weird thing for me has been that all my cravings for "bad" food have really disappeared--I mean REALLY. I believe Fuhrman is correct when he says that the presence of micronutrients in the body regulates and eliminates "toxic hunger."

So for me, this looks like a lowcarb plant-based diet, with some calorie cycling a la JUDDD. Like green smoothies, veggie soups, salads, delicious raw vegan protein shakes, big bowls of steamy veggies with yummy sauces, veggieburgers and the like. I try not to make my DD's tooo low, because that triggers me, but I can not tell you how relieved I am not to have cravings. I just do not have cravings any more and I do not know what the mechanism might be other than something in my body is being fed that was not being fed before, ykwim?
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Glad it worked for you, but would be very risky experiment for me.

Sometimes binging starts with a trigger, not necessarily deprivation/elimination.
IMHO!
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Glad it worked for you, but would be very risky experiment for me.

Sometimes binging starts with a trigger, not necessarily deprivation/elimination.
IMHO!
Right Bella--sugar and grains are definite triggers for me. Emotional events that have old traumatic significance are absolutely a trigger for me. Deprivation is a trigger for me. All I am saying, and absolutely YMMV, is that some micronutrient that I was lacking was without a shadow of a doubt playing a role. I know that now. For me.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=rubidoux;16468220]
Now, hopefully, I'll get to put a clappy guy in my sig tomorrow.

How you doing?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #45

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I think its about "trigger foods", at least for me. I can and have many times eaten only 2 potato chips but give me a pretzel and I done for!! Sugar does the same thing so eat a donut (as example) and it's binge city!!!
Interesting about pretzels but not chips. Wheat is a trigger maybe? And maybe it's the wheat in the donut, not the sugar, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Amen to this statement!! ^^^^ I was diagnosed with Night Eating Syndrome (NES) a few months ago and even though I now KNOW what I have it doesn't help to get rid of it; just puts a name on the binge monster!!

Before I was told what my problem was it felt like I was entering hell every night after dinner and no amount of willpower and positive thinking was going to stop me from walking through hell's door every night!!
Like I mentioned earlier, supplements help. The Diet Cure by Julia Ross might be a good read for you. For my NES, I try to do:
-- L-Glutamine 500 mg morning, midmorning, and afternoon
--Magnesium, 500 mg shortly after dinner
--5-HTP, 100 mg at dinner
--Chromium GTF, 500 mcg (that's micrograms) after dinner and in the late afternoon if I remember it.

If I forget to take my pills, a good quick fix is 500 mg L-Glutamine, 500 mcg Chromium GTF and 500 mg magnesium. And then I sip on flavored water, or delay/distract for 20 minutes.

And then I always have a planned, written down optional snack in a written-down quantity, and I can have that after supper. I try to wait 15 minutes when I think I want it, and sometimes the urge passes. But if I do eat it, I don't beat myself up about it.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
A craving killer that works for me is L-tryptophan in the morning. I take 3 pills (1500 mg) and it really takes away the craving mind talk all day. Of course, YMMV.

I also second (or third) Julia Ross' The Diet Cure--it's great! It helped me a lot in the beginning, to get through wheat/grain withdrawal (I'm definitely a grain and sugar addict).
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
[quote=dmburk;16474408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Now, hopefully, I'll get to put a clappy guy in my sig tomorrow.

How you doing?
Thanks for asking! I'm still having a hard time. For some reason life has been so stressful lately. There's a lot of little stuff and some bigger things, too. I had to have my sweet, sweet 15 year old dog put to sleep yesterday totally out of the blue. She was seemingly healthy and fairly energetic for such an elderly dog until Saturday evening and then she was gone by 9 am Sunday. Ugh... So, anyway, I am starving all the time! And I don't know if its real hunger or circumstances or what.

Just now I had to drag my insane four year old out of Barnes and noble and tie him up in his carseat. He's screaming at me from the back seat right now. And I want a donut... but I'm going to try to get through.

I haven't been horribly behaved but yesterday I had a small peach and the day before quite a few strawberries. My weight is only half pound above my low, so I'd say I'm holding my own but not on plan. No clappy guys yet!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I've been taking GABA almost every night for about a month and I have noticed diminshed cravings. But, I've also been off of gluten for around the same amount of time, so who knows what it is. I have noticed a more, "who cares?" attitude about some things though, which is kind of a relief since I can overthink a lot of things.

(Almost every night because it gives me wicked dreams sometimes...)

Looking at gluten as poison really has helped the most, I think. It has kept me away from a lot of binge (or, I guess "overeaten") foods (like cupcakes, for example).
Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Those of you doing the supps suggested by Julia Ross are you having any issues with fatigue? The ones I supposedly need according to her book such as the 5thp, gaba or l-tryptophan make me so tired! In fact, they make me just as tired as the antidepressants that I gave up that my Dr. prescribed.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Those of you doing the supps suggested by Julia Ross are you having any issues with fatigue? The ones I supposedly need according to her book such as the 5thp, gaba or l-tryptophan make me so tired! In fact, they make me just as tired as the antidepressants that I gave up that my Dr. prescribed.
Tryptophan will definitely cause drowsiness--- it's the same amino acid as in turkey and milk. I've never taken it for eating issues, but I used to take it for sleep a long time ago.

5-HTP converts tryptophan to seratonin. It is sometimes used as a sleep aid. For me, it just relaxes me but doesn't make me sleepy, but of course we are all different. NEver taken gaba, so I don't know about that one.

Not sure if drowsiness/sleepiness is the same as what you describe as fatigue. You could look at changing the timing of your dosages, to take them in the evening when you actually want to sleep.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #51

[quote=rubidoux;16474672]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post

Thanks for asking! I'm still having a hard time. For some reason life has been so stressful lately. There's a lot of little stuff and some bigger things, too. I had to have my sweet, sweet 15 year old dog put to sleep yesterday totally out of the blue. She was seemingly healthy and fairly energetic for such an elderly dog until Saturday evening and then she was gone by 9 am Sunday. Ugh... So, anyway, I am starving all the time! And I don't know if its real hunger or circumstances or what.

Just now I had to drag my insane four year old out of Barnes and noble and tie him up in his carseat. He's screaming at me from the back seat right now. And I want a donut... but I'm going to try to get through.

I haven't been horribly behaved but yesterday I had a small peach and the day before quite a few strawberries. My weight is only half pound above my low, so I'd say I'm holding my own but not on plan. No clappy guys yet!
I am so sorry.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #52

[quote=rubidoux;16474672]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post

I'm SO sorry! I will never get over the loss of my beloved Beagle Cleo, she too was gone in a heart beat! My thoughts are with you!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #53

GRRRRRR......Stressed to the max since last June causing my Fibromyalgia to spin out of control almost everyday causing so much pain I find it hard to move so I don't exercise AND on top of this the binge eating has me at 20 pounds gained in 1 year!!!

Went to Doc today, we made a plan to get me moving forward and hopefully in a healthier place. Not binging but eating REALLY yucky and just can't get a handle on food at the moment! I started a picture journal of everything I'm eating and it sure doesn't look like a lot of food in one day but I think the problem is most of the foods are calorie dense and carb heavy.

I KNOW what to do, just can't wrap my mind around doing it for more than a few days. I keep falling off the wagon, but I'm determined that no matter how many times I fall I'm coming right back on that wagon to find the right plan to get me healthy, both in mind and body, before the end of this year!!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristee
Stats: restart 2-15-10 140/129/129 GOAL MET 4/28/10
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 1st, 2009 at 167 lbs
This is a Great thread!! I needed this. All I can say is Thank You ..... and tomorrow is a New day!
Also Sorry to dmbrk for your loss.
Kristee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace View Post
1. I can have just one piece of birthday cake. Replace with: Yes I want that birthday cake, but experience has shown me that afterward I will feel awful, will crave more, and may throw away my WOE for a long long time. I might get away with it a few times, but eventually this type of choosing causing me to give up everything I've gained. So I must choose "no" now - and every time - to avoid that game of Russian roulette. (And just as in Russian Roulette, my life is truly in danger.)

2. I deserve to taste this wonderful-tasting food. Replace with: I can have this food but it is not so wonderful, because I really don't want obesity, diabetes, shameful feelings, shorter life, and heart attacks that go with it. If I choose the food, I choose these things at the same time. No getting around it.

3. I will look like an outcast if I don't eat what everyone else is eating. Replace with: I will chose to do what is best for me. I may feel weird in this social situation, but it is not the end of the world and it will be over in a few hours at most. There is no chance that someone will kill me because I chose not to eat that stuff.

4. I just had something with too many carbs, I might as well just binge right now and get back on track tomorrow. Replace with: WARNING! I just ate something that I shouldn't have eaten; if I don't get right on track right this second I will end up farther and farther from my goals with every passing minute. [This one is like the driver that misses his exit and figures he might as well just keep on driving - we obviously wouldn't do this because it is irrational! Make the U-Turn as soon as it is safe and legal to do so, which is right now!]

5. I've been stuck at this weight for weeks. I might as well just eat what I want since this isn't working. Replace with: I knew before I started that plateaus are part of weight loss, and I am experiencing something that I knew was going to happen so I shouldn't be surprised. Instead, I will stay the course or try to change things in my plan that are still consistent with my plan, like upping my fat, changing my workout routine, or giving my scale to a friend (along with $20 that he gets to keep if he doesn't give my scale back until the date I specified.)

6. This persons' feelings will be hurt if I don't eat this. Replace with: This person can choose to feel hurt or not because I do not want to eat their food; their feelings really have nothing to do with my choice to be healthy. The irrationality is theirs, not mine.
I've just stumbled on this thread and WOW! Thank you so much for this post - I have just printed this off to stick on my fridge!!
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

by rubidoux
' For some reason life has been so stressful lately'

I hear ya. Stress is my middle name. We got custody of granddaughters aged 1 and 3 , 3 years ago. And we have an 11 year old, and now that school is over, the 3 kids are constantly at each other! They are now DD 11, GD1 is 6, GD2 is 4. Can you imagine all the drama in my life in the next 10 years?!
So yeah, if you're not careful, stress can drive you round the bend. But remember! eating junk doesn't help. Makes it Worse.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

you are so right, eating poorly seems to increase stress, much like alcohol (drunk to relief stress) ultimately increases it for me. Our favorite fix is at best temporary. I read a counterintutive saying a year or so ago which has stuck with me: "When stressed, do less." How about that one??

Rubi/Jayne, really sorry for the loss of your dog. That's a lot of pain. I think you did pretty good by just eating a small peach and some strawberries.

p.s. Sorry if I've got the people and the events confused, just doing a quick read this a.m.

Last edited by Patience; 06-18-2013 at 05:19 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Tryptophan will definitely cause drowsiness--- it's the same amino acid as in turkey and milk. I've never taken it for eating issues, but I used to take it for sleep a long time ago.

5-HTP converts tryptophan to seratonin. It is sometimes used as a sleep aid. For me, it just relaxes me but doesn't make me sleepy, but of course we are all different. NEver taken gaba, so I don't know about that one.

Not sure if drowsiness/sleepiness is the same as what you describe as fatigue. You could look at changing the timing of your dosages, to take them in the evening when you actually want to sleep.
Thanks emel. I usually sleep okay aside from waking up with hot flashes, I mainly took the supps for depression, anxiety and binge eating. I just get really sleepy and sluggish when I take them, they do seem to help with the binge eating, but I stop taking them because I feel so tired.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #59
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
[quote
Quote:
]Originally Posted by dmburk

[/QUOTE

I wanted to offer my sympathies for the loss of your pet ... my senior girl died 2 months ago and know the pain all too well.

Good job on holding on!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

I don't take much 5-HTP any more, and when I take it I rarely take more than 50 mg.
People's experiences with it do vary alot. For me it takes the edge of my anxiety. If I take it several days in a row, I lose energy, feel like my butt is really dragging. Not a bad feeling necessarily but not really conducive to getting up and doing the things I ought to be doing.
But I keep it on my supplements shelf for sure. I took some last Saturday, when I was feeling anxious which sort of equals cravings (for alchohol or food) for me. It's reputed to cause vivid dreams, so maybe best not to take right before bed if that worries you. I nearly always take no later than afternoon and in small amounts, so can't report anything about the dreams.