Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lawmom
Stats: 216/212/140
WOE: Low/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 9/2009 - most recent restart 1/17/14
Restarting induction today and looking for a few Low Carb "Buddies"

Hi everyone! I am restarting induction today and am looking for a few "buddies" for support on switching back to the low carb life style. I have lost and gained weight several times since my first low carb journey in August 2009. Unfortunately, I am currently "up" to 208.4 lbs. I think that one of the best motivators I had the first time around was a few of my LC friends who helped me through the tough times.

I am hoping to find a few people who are re-starting (or just starting) to accompany me on this journey. I will say that I do not do a particular low carb plan. I eat some of the Atkins bars and drink the shakes occassionally. I try to stay under 20 net carbs the first couple of weeks then try to move to 25-35 net carbs (depending on the effect). I am pretty much a daily weigher as well (when I am on plan although I am not when I am off). This is mainly just to keep me on track (and yes I do understand the fluctuations).

My family does NOT do low carb and, therefore, I turn to these board for "moral support". Anyway, I am hoping that some of you, like me, are in the same boat and looking for a low car "buddy"...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Feel free to check out Low Carb-Our Way. Most posting on the thread have started or restarted fairly recently, one person just started three weeks ago. I think you would fit right in!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Feel free to check out Low Carb-Our Way. Most posting on the thread have started or restarted fairly recently, one person just started three weeks ago. I think you would fit right in!
I second Misti's suggestion. We're a good little group there, and we all do our own versions of low carb. You'll find us under Low Carb Challenges on the menu. When you get there, look for Low Carb Our Way. Click on the last page (as there's a lot of pages), and this will get you right up to date on posting. Lots of sharing of good ideas, good and bad days.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
Hello Lawmom,
I would be glad to join you. I have regained 30 lbs that I had lost.
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Sara -- I lost 48 lbs when I first did low carb back in 2009. However, I have since regained 40 of those back and feel that I really, really need to get those back off. I have started and stopped several times over the last couple of years and have found it VERY hard to get that same motivation back. I will be happy to offer support and encouragement to you as well.

Yesterday was Day 1 of my "re-induction" and it went pretty well. Scale showed a 4 lb loss overnight (which I know is WATER but makes me happy anyway). Yesterday's meals were scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast, Atkins bar (snack), cauli-crust personal pan pepperoni pizza (lunch) and then country style rib with green beans and faux potato casserole. Also had a pickle for a late night snack.

As of today, I had an Atkins bar and shake for breakfast. I am thinking lunch will be Wingstop wings with celery sticks...
lawmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elaurie
Stats: 212/199.5/140
WOE: Atkins induction
I'd love to go along with you! I started induction again last Thursday-5/30/13 at 212#s. As of today, I'm at 207.5! I'm staying right at 20 gms carbs.

This flax focaccia is making all the difference in the world to me this time around. Recipe is at a site that has "about" in the website title. I had the name of the site and the recipe link posted in the thread hyperlinked above, but the info was edited out by a mod. Gotta go read through the rules again!

Had NancyElle's pizza crust the other night...it's amazingly good. I do cut the seasonings to 1/2 tsp and the eggs to 2. I crisp it on parchment paper, cool it, turn it so the brown side is up, put on sauce and toppings and heat again on a fresh sheet of parchment paper.

So glad you posted this buddies thread! Looks like we're starting and hoping to end at the same stats. I'll be your buddy, your friend, your pal!

Last edited by elaurie; 06-03-2013 at 07:47 AM..
elaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PeanutAddict
Stats: 260/160/140
WOE: not sure yet
Me Me Me! I just joined this board today. I'm a LC veteran but have been almost completely ignoring what I know for about a year and a half now. argh. I have twin toddlers and am a SAHM. My time is at a premium right now so I know I need to plan, plan, plan and have everything I can made ahead and ready to go.

Jenny
PeanutAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gerib38
Stats: 251/192.6/160
Start Date: 5/11/2009
im in!

I have been low carbing for about 4 years and lost 70 lbs ... however in the last year i have slipped a bit and gained about 16-17 lbs ... DONT WANNA GO BACK there .. i want to loose about 30 to 40 more lbs and i cld sure use the motivation and support.. i will have to get back in the habit of coming back to these boards and like you LAWMOM i weigh daily when on plan but when off ..NOT SO MUCH .. i am hoping to loose at least 10 lbs this month i think i really need a support group this go round!

so happy to have found yur post i cant start til sat because of an anniversarry/bday party this week .. but i will start sunday of this week im in the mean time preparing menus and getting groceries

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by gerib38; 06-03-2013 at 01:37 PM..
gerib38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! I am so excited. Looks like we have a nice little group starting here. Today has been pretty good overall but I think I am having a little of the induction "flu". I have had a headache all afternoon and am moody. Lunch today was a chicken salad/bowl from a drive through. I also had a can of vienna sausage and a few almonds (I know not induction friendly but they don't tend to stall me either). For dinner I am having another of the Caulicrust personal pepperoni pizzas.

@Jenny -- sounds like you have your hands full! Planning is the way to go. I tried doing some of the OAMC low carb meals last month. It worked well for me but I tend to NOT like the same thing all the time and am not very good at getting things out of the freezer, but overall it was a success. I think next time I will try just doing a 2 week plan though. That will probably last me a month if I intersperse some other things in between.

@laurie: I have had moderators take away some of my links too before. I will try to search to see if I can find the recipe. I have a pinterest board with a lot of great low carb recipes and blogs. I have all the "tools" I need for success, just need to stay motivated.

Well hope everyone has a great night! I may be on more later if those "binge" urges start!!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
today is day 3 for me.

i am feeling much better, and hope to make a noticeable dent by Julius Caesar's, and my (earth)sis-in-law's birthday-7/12/13. Also, we are going to the Pocono's on Columbus Day weekend. I hope I will still be on plan then. Best of luck to us! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

It does sound like a nice little group we have. A lot of my problem is my job. I work a 12 hour shift in a busy ER. Co-workers are always bringing in junk food and when it is busy and there is no time for a lunch break, it is an easy go to. I made a roast tonight, deviled eggs, and yellow squash. That will be my supper for tomorrow. I will eat before I go to work so that takes care of lunch. I need to plan better and make freeze several meals that way I will always have something to rely on instead of junk food.
@Lawmom, what kind of recipes do you have on Pinterest? I love Linda Sue's site and make several of her dishes.
We all have the tools I think we all need the motivation and hopefully we can be there and support and motivate each other.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

@FF --We are going on a beach vacation starting June 23rd ... it will be really tough to stay on plan but I am going to give it my best shot.

@Sara -- Sounds like you do have a busy schedule. I also have some problems at work too-- especially when I am traveling. Our office also has all the junk food available not to mention all the cakes/cookies that get brought in from court reporters, etc.

I also love Linda Sue's recipes. Jamie (I think cleochatra on here) also has a great list of recipes. I don't think the moderators will let us post them. There are several other great blogs as well. This site has some wonderful recipes as well.

Finding the tools is pretty easy. Applying them consistently is a different story! I also think that planning is key. I am going to try to do better with that this time around.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gerib38
Stats: 251/192.6/160
Start Date: 5/11/2009
i am self employed and i am on the road alot sometimes i dont bring lunch or snacks w me and eating in the car can be difficult i see all the fast food places along the way .. i will have to start packing a cooler .. i used to take nuts or cheese but i think they stall me .. because i get carried away ...
when i was doing this plan b4 4 yrs ago . nothing cld deter me .. if i went to a family gathering i wld take other things to avoid eating the junk food .. now i just say oh its just one day .. well we all know what that leads too ... so i am the type that has to prepare i used to make all the casseroles on linda sues website and be satisfied with my portion ... now my portion control is OUTTA CONTROL
I have a friend who kind of sabbotages me and i have laid the law down with her lately .. telling her NO MORE.. she has clearly stated she doesnt want me thinner than her she has even put real sugar in tea and told me it was splenda... so i even have to bring my drinks when i go to her house .. she doesnt think its a big deal but for me it is!
buying my ketostix this week and my groceries .. making menus .. the simpler the menus are the better for me at least at first
i also freeze dinners so they r ready when i need to eat
im going to make a batch of the mini cheese cakes but will have to freeze til i learn portion control again
glad u r all here to talk to abt this any pointers wld b appreciated
its not like i dont know this program backwards and forwards but kinda been outta the loop

Posting menus might be helpful as well

Last edited by gerib38; 06-04-2013 at 06:36 AM..
gerib38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
I have been back on plan for a week now. I had good success losing 64 pounds on LC. Last fall my weight started creeping back up and now I'm up 20 pounds from a 177 low last summer. Seems like I've just lost my mojo.

Sunday morning I had a wake-up call, I hope. I tried on clothes for 15 minutes before I found something I thought I could be seen wearing in public.

My immediate goal is to get back into the 180's before family vaca at the beach starting July 20th. I am down 2.2 lbs since starting back last Tuesday.

Hope you all have a great day!

Janice
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Checking in to say that the scales were cooperating this morning.

My simple plan for right now is:
1. Eat LC
2. Not snack between meals
3. Eat only between 12 Noon and 8 PM- so two meals a day
4. Do some type of activity after work besides sit in front of the tv until bedtime- (not using the "e" word so I won't scare myself off )

What is working for you guys?

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all! Still managing to stay on plan. Scale has not cooperated since Day one though However, the 4 lb loss from that day has stayed off.

Geri -- I was the same way the first time around. The motivation was there and I did not even want to "cheat" ... until it wasn't. I started "cheating" here and there and before I knew it I had totally reversed my eating habits back to the old ways and the weight started creeping back. Ever since, I have had really bad motivation problems. I start and do good for a little while then slack off. As for your friend, it is never okay to sabotage someone else's efforts. If you can't be supportive, don't say anything at all is my motto.

@Janice: For right now my goal is to stick as close as possible to an "induction" level of carbs. Yesterday at lunch I was without a car and ended up going with a friend to a Chinese buffet. Fortunately, they have a hibachi style grill so I had them make my "meal" using only the fresh ingredients and soy sauce. I had a bunless burger for dinner. I also made some homemade chocolate ice cream "pops" and had one of those for dessert. To be honest right now I am NOT feeling very "fulfilled" and in fact am feeling kind of "deprived" in not being able to eat carbs. I love carby foods. Unfortunately, they tend to "love" me too and want to stick around in the form of weight! I know that after getting past the first couple of weeks I will feel better and the feeling of deprivation will start to fade, but I sure wish it would hurry! I also walked the track at the high school last night (only did one mile) but it kept me from wanting to eat in front of the TV so that is good.

Well, I hope everyone has a fantastic day
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elaurie
Stats: 212/199.5/140
WOE: Atkins induction
Shoulda read the OP better. I'm trying to stick to induction to a "t" So I'm not a great fit for buddying for a general approach at this point...may move into this approach as I progress. So far strict induction is working. Six pounds in seven days!
elaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! Laurie, I had typed a long post yesterday and thought I posted, but I guess I didn't. Congrats on your loss! You can still be a "buddy". The idea is not so much what the plan is but mostly just to offer support. I try to stick primarily to induction but I know a few of my choices (usually due to lack of planning) are not totally induction legal. For instance the chocolate ice cream pops do have the Almond Breeze in them (which I am not sure is legal on induction) but the rest of the ingredients are. I also had a few almonds one day because I was starving and that was the only "low carb" food choice around. I have not given up my caffeinated drinks either (which is technically not induction legal). I am a Diet Dr. Pepper addict -- so I am choosing to focus on carbs now and will work on the Diet DP later. As for me, so far so good. The scale read 201.2 this morning. I am really hoping to be back in "onederland" by the end of the weekend. Sometimes, weekends are harder for me though because of eating out and cooking for family. My DH works out of town during the week and we tend to do bigger meals and eat out much more when he is home. Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful day! I have got to get to work
Old 06-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

@Lawmom, I am the same way about the diet drink except mine is diet Coke. I swear they must put crack in it. I am really trying to cut it out. I also have lost 1.5 lbs this week but haven't stuck completely with totally clean eating. I had a couple of days where I relied on the Atkins shakes and had 25 grams of carbs. It was poor planning on my part.
I think I need to realize that although I have a lot going on in my life right now I have to put me first. This is so hard especially as a woman. We are programmed to put everyone else and their needs first.
I am glad to have this support though I think it will make a huge difference.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Sara - I know what you mean! I went to the zoo yesterday with my husband, daughter, and grandbabies. If I need motivation to stay op, I will look at the pictures from the zoo outing yesterday. (I would attach it here but don't remember how!) I actually gained about .5 lbs yesterday and don't understand how. I ate very little and exercised quite a bit. I am thinking it may be water weight from the exercise, so I am drinking more water than usual today.

Last edited by lawmom; 06-09-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all! Well I did not make my goal of being in onederland by the end of the week. Weight this morning was 201.2. Overall that is a pretty good first week -- lost 7 lbs. Yesterday was really, really hard though. At the end of the night I found myself wishing for something "sweet" and even picked up all the junk food stuff we have in the house to look at how many carbs were included. I ended up having a tablespoon of peanut butter on a low carb tortilla. Again, not induction legal but it got me through without picking up the Little Debbie snack cakes! Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Hello all! Well I did not make my goal of being in onederland by the end of the week. Weight this morning was 201.2. Overall that is a pretty good first week -- lost 7 lbs. Yesterday was really, really hard though. At the end of the night I found myself wishing for something "sweet" and even picked up all the junk food stuff we have in the house to look at how many carbs were included. I ended up having a tablespoon of peanut butter on a low carb tortilla. Again, not induction legal but it got me through without picking up the Little Debbie snack cakes! Hope everyone has a great day!
Good for you! If I could find a good alternative every time I needed a sweet fix, I wouldn't be overweight.

I'm down .6 lb this morning from Friday. Hope it sticks.

Have a good one, y'all,
Janice
Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats Janice! Any loss is a good loss
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

@ Janice and Lawmom,
The thing that has saved me is the fat bombs. I made the lemon ones yesterday and oh boy did they do the trick. This is the recipe I used. I am going to add some orange in place of the lemon next time I make them. I also have made chocolate bark before. It works in a pinch.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-fat-bomb.html
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipe, Sara. i haven't made any although I see people posting about them frequently.

Janice
Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sara! I need to stock up on some of my LC essentials like coconut oil this weekend and then I will give these a try!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all! Scale is creeping down (200.8 today!). It's not much, but at least it is moving in the right direction. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I am down 1 lb but I will take it. I work today so this might be a challenge. I hate such a busy day yesterday I did not plan for today. But I will get a salad at work and hopefully there will be chicken breast today. If not I have some tuna packets I keep in my locker.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Good morning all! Scale is creeping down (200.8 today!). It's not much, but at least it is moving in the right direction. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmil30 View Post
I am down 1 lb but I will take it. I work today so this might be a challenge. I hate such a busy day yesterday I did not plan for today. But I will get a salad at work and hopefully there will be chicken breast today. If not I have some tuna packets I keep in my locker.
Good for you guys!

Janice
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all! Sorry for the late check in. My step dad had surgery today and I have been out all day. (But he is doing good) Scale was still at 200.8 this morning. May go up a little tomorrow as I have not been as "good" as usual. I tried but I did have a piece of wheat toast and a bowl of fruit for breakfast, and a cup of black beans as one of the sides on my grilled salmon dinner ... all of which are technically "off plan" for me (at this point anyway). Guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to see how much it sets me back. I have actually been thinking of trying to go over to the South Beach type plan which allows fruits and beans (or at least this is what I have been told)...