Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
lilmiss - so glad you had a good visit with your family. Glad all is well with the parents.
I would look into netting maybe. Guess that is more towards insects but it is easier than wire. The gardening section of Lowe's or Home Depot should have something. Me, I have a big dog. Actually the neighbors guineas seem to keep things protected. Molly must have been sound asleep in the house.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
Now I'm seriously interested in the MTC oil. I'm going to my health food store tonight to see if they carry it. I think it would be great added to a smoothie.

Adi, coconut oil upset my stomach too. I added it to a shake one time and thought I'd die, LOL. I've heard people suggest using it in small doses at first to let your body acclimate. I wish I liked the taste of food cooked in it.
I'm glad for you that DS is recycling. It gives you a lot less worry.

Dak, does the chicken come out moist in the smoker? Kayaking sounds like a blast! Do you go in a river or lake? Every spring I say I'm going to try it then I never do.

Lil miss, that's great news about your parents. It's good to be prepared, but I'm glad to see you're enjoying the good times with them.

Our internet has been down constantly over the last few weeks. And trying to get help from Comcast is so frustrating.

I have been avoiding sugar, except in Kind bars, which are very low in sugar. Also avoiding gluten, eggs and soy. So far the fat isn't melting away, lol.

Oh remember my calf was hurting. Sunday I was finally able to use my total gym again and I spent a good 1/2 hour just stretching my legs and hamstrings. It really worked wonders for my calf.
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought MCT oil, but had a total brain fog and bought the capsules instead of the liquid. I may try taking the capsules for a few days anyway to make sure they don't upset my stomach. I picked up some grass-fed unsalted butter. Now to get up the nerve to put it in a cup of coffee, lol
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
I've been working all day and have been wanting to get talk to you all. Glad you're going to try the BPC, Kritter! Capsules would be tricky, make sure too that the MTC is derived from coconuts and not something else.

I found some really interesting research with coconut oil/MTC oil and Alzheimer's, scroll to the interview part with Dr. Mary Newport. Improves cognitive function.

It's funny, I feel like I'm going full circle now getting into Paleo/BP. Avoiding gluten again, but allowing much more carbs than Atkins, low glycemic fruit, sweet potatoes & rice.

The grill does give you moist meat, you keep the lid on while you cook, it has a fan, so it's like a convection oven in a way, there's no bad spot on the grill. I had leftover chicken for dinner, still really good.

Glad you're back, Lil Miss, what a wonderful visit with your folks. This video shows how to make a very easy framework to lay netting over, using just rebar, 3/4" PVC, (can find at any hardware store) and plastic clips (buy at the link). There are certainly many ways to support netting, but this is the easiest I've found. So far I don't have squirrels or bunnies, just deer and gophers, bad enough
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm excited about the vegetable varieties I'm growing this year, this is a tomato that supposedly doesn't taste great as a fresh eating tomato, but does a great tasting sauce. It's really prolific, I've never had this many tomatoes on the vine this early in the season.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, that's really interesting about that tomato. You can make tomato sauce and freeze it to have all winter.

That interview is VERY interesting. One of the things she mentions is wondering if there's a difference between people who eat margarine and skim milk for most of their lives and people who drink whole milk and eat butter. For years my father ate 3 eggs plus 2 slices of scrapple plus 3 pieces of toast slathered in butter and he never had a hint of alzheimer's. My in-laws ate skim milk, low fat yogurt, margarine and low fat everything and my FIL had severe alzheimer's. MIL had just started to show signs before she went downhill.

DH is so worried about alzheimer's he's fanatical about learning new things and keeping his brain busy. But he will never believe that nutrition could play a part of it. I'll have to start emailing him these kinds of studies.

Yesterday around 10 AM I felt really sick to my stomach. Not sure if it was from the coconut oil. I'm going to wait and have it in my coffee after work tonight to see if it bothers me. If it does, I'd rather feel nauseous when I'm home than at work.

I'm back to paleo/whole foods too LOL. Actually the Virgin diet is very paleo.

I had dinner last night with my 2 sisters-in-law. Had a great time and my one SIL told me a recipe she makes that her family LOVES so I'm going to try it this weekend. She gets a 4-5 pound eye roast. Throws it in a crock pot with a packet of brown gravy mix, a packet of 4 seasons Italian dressing mix and a packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix and some water. Cooks on low for 8 hours. I have to check the mixes for soy and sugar though.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

dak, my mct oil is made from coconut and palm oil. Is that okay?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kritter, that comparison of your parents/in law rang true for my dad too. Always had margarine and skimmed milk, then went ever lower fat with the heart healthy Diet.

Your MTC oil source sounds good, I've read that some are sourced from GMO corn oil and have lots of fillers.

Some cut and paste (from three different posts):

(from Dave Asprey, he promotes the oil he sells and one from Amazon thats described as pharmaceutical grade). There are 4 lengths of medium chain fats, so most MCT contains all 4 because it's cheaper (but less effective) that way. This is the only brand of MCT I could find that contains just the two most active fatty acid lengths, capric & caprylic. Those are the ones that cause weight loss and are most antifungal.

If you are having troubles with "looseness", I would back up the amount of oil you are using (be it coconut or MCT) and/or add HCl + betaine/lipase to your diet. More than likely, it's your body not having enough acid/bile to properly break down the level of fat you are ingesting. Luckily, your body *does* adjust, but the pills really helped me and I was able to slowly back off of them as my body got used to the higher doses of fat.

The other thing is coconut oil contains anti-bacterial properties. You may be experience some gut flora die off with the coconut oil.
If that is the case. You will want to work "cleaning" up your gut.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, so you know which one he recommends? Mine are Now Sports.

I'm taking 3,000 mg a day in the capsules and so far I haven't had any stomach upset from it. This weekend, I'm going to try adding coconut cream to my coffee but very small quantities. Maybe 1/2 tsp in the morning and another 1/2 tsp in the afternoon coffee. If it doesn't bother me, I can continue next week and then each week try upping it over the weekend.

I do take a digestive supplement. It's got HCL and a bunch of other stuff. I think my stomach has been slow to empty and it's been causing me problems. And since I don't have a gall bladder, I definitely need help with digesting fats.

Ugh, so I have 1 week to figure out what it will take to add SAS to our environment - servers, software, people, etc. My boss told me a few months ago that I had until November to get this info, now he's saying I have until the end of June. It's like working for someone with multiple personalities. I'm hoping the personality that told me I have until November shows up for work tomorrow so I can get it in writing

I'm off to bed to read my book. It's "Watchers" by Dean Koontz. I think it's a really old one of his but I never read it. Did any of you guys ever read it? My sis sent it to me. I started it Tuesday and I'm almost finished it. One of the main characters is a golden retriever so I'm smitten
Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Lol krit enjoy that book. More later

Luv you guys
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, there's one on Amazon by Dr. Bernd Friedlander that he used to recommend, now he sells his own line Upgraded MTC on his bulletproofexe website. Did you read in that transcript where he talks about the gallbladder and ox bile? (you can listen to it too, it's podcast #13 on itunes.)

I loved Watchers! Now I want to listen to it again, it was a great story.

Hey Lil Miss, what's up?
Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, I just read that. It says people who don't take ox bile can't expect to live long and eat fat. Yikes!a I wonder what he means by that. Maybe because you don't metabolize it properly you're not getting the nutrients from it? I have to read more. It's funny because when I had my gall bladder out, not one person in the medical profession said anything to me about taking it. The person who suggested it was an accupuncturist. I found her because she was listed on a list of paleo doctors.

It's a beautiful day here! Hope to get in a walk and bike ride
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #73
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I made the eggs/oil ice cream last week and I am undecided about making it again. it was kind of like eating creamed butter. LOL sort of like the butter and sugar mixture when making cookies except it was smooth. Can't compete with Bluebell but if I cut down on Bluebell it might work.
I am eating a lot of plain cucumbers from the garden and I am not even a fan of them but they are a quick low calories food so I crunch away.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

Where can I find recipe for eggs oil ice cream? Curious
Old 06-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #75
Big Yapper!!!!

lilmiss - Dak posted the link in post #54. It was different and I did get to use up 8 eggs in the process. I didn't have any MCT oil so I just used coconut oil for all of the oil and it came out fine. I made it in my Cuisinart ice cream maker. I have the canisters in the freezer so I might make some again tomorrow on my UD. Way too high in calories for a DD.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

Thx adi. Mot sure how I missed it
Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Went to the health food store today and as I was picking up a huge bottle of MCT oil off of the bottom shelf, it slipped and broke. The poor clerks has to clean up an entire bottle of oil. What a mess! I felt terrible. Fortunately they had another bottle that I managed to buy without breaking

I'm making the pot roast, but it is not getting tender. I wonder if I have too much liquid in the pot. Hmmm
Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do know what you mean, Adi, I've ordered his chocolate powder, next time I make it I want to try it in chocolate. It's rich, and it does satisfy my need for something cold and ice cream like. I was kinda surprised, DS came by last night and finished it, he liked it a lot. Thanks for pointing Lil Miss to the recipe.

Your cucumbers sound good, what variety are you growing? Mine are beginning to take off, still no fruit though.

Kritter, that does sound like a mess! Reminds me of the last bad earthquake we had here, a friend I have had all her oils and vinegars on the top shelf, quite the mess to clean up.

I've been in recovery the last two days. Slept wrong on my neck yesterday, I've had neck pain and a headache ever since. I had an abscessed tooth years ago, that left me with a permanently inflamed lymph node. Every now and then it flares.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #79
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - sorry to hear about your pain. I had a migraine 4 days last week but could not stop since we were still packing and loading trailers moving the office. Must have been stress related. I have had my breakfast and I think I will make the ice cream around noon for my afternoon pick me up or make it lunch. All those eggs can't be bad.
DH bought seeds at our local feed store and they buy bulk and then package in pretty big paper envelopes so not much info other than cucumber on the package. I just know there are two kinds out there. One has a smooth skin and the other has little spines. I pick them small, make four spears and stick them in a jar of pickle juice and after a couple of days in the frig they are great. I can't keep ahead of DH on the quickie pretend pickles. Believe it or not but I don't really like chocolate ice cream. I have some dark chocolate in the frig though. I could try the second batch with some. I know you are trying to eliminate junk but some jello powder would make a nice lime ice cream.
kritter - Teach them to put MCT oil on the bottom shelf. Oil and eggs are the hardest things to clean up in my opinion. Learned to pour salt on a broken egg and I actually have the cheapie salt in the cabinet for that purpose since I use sea salt for everything now.
lilmiss - let us know if you like the ice cream. It would certainly be LC.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #80
Big Yapper!!!!

I made ice cream and am having some for lunch. Had my cucumbers and tomato slices so now it is time for dessert.
Oh and the "side effect" talked about on that site - must be related to the MCT oil since I don't have any I just used butter and coconut oil and noticed nothing other than a desire to eat more ice cream.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you're giving it another try, was the texture any different, did you run the machine for an hour? I bet jello would give it a lot more flavor, Asprey probably has scary stuff to say about commercial jello...

Every time I look at my cucumber plants, they're looking larger, maybe sometime soon I can join you with the cucumber salads & pickles.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - Yes, I let the machine run for an hour and the texture is very nice. Like soft ice cream. It is fine plain. I mixed a serving with lime jello and it was good too. I tried some full sugar strawberry ice cream topping and it just seemed so overly sweet. Wont' do that again. My side effect this time was being so sleepy I had to go take a 2 hour nap. So I have accomplished nothing this afternoon. But I have ice cream in the freezer.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, will run the machine for an hour next time, the texture wasn't that great at just 30 mins. The first time I ate it it knocked me out too! I needed the rest, I guess, but he implied a different reaction on his site, LOL.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

I mixed the mix for a long time in my blender too. I started with just the eggs and ran the blender and just added the other ingredients as it was running through the hole in the top of the lid. Then I poured the mixture into the Cuisinart as it was running too.
I am afraid to figure the calories. Probably triple what Blue Bell is.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

All of the BP stuff seems over the top on calories and fat. Not doing gluten helps, I'm sure, but I've noticed on their forums a lot of people going overboard on meat and fat, then posting their bloodwork with high cholesterol. Not enough vegetables, IMO. I'm happy that I'm able to grow my own now.

I'm waiting for my chocolate to come in before I make more ice cream, I miss not having it around. I did buy some fresh frozen pomegranate juice at Farmers Market, & poured it into Popsicle molds I have, really interesting Popsicles! A bit tart and then sweet, makes me want to plant a pomegranate tree, though I bet juicing is worth whatever they charge, must be messy business.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I want to grow everything but know I should not even try. Maybe next year. I have popsickle molds but was never fond of them. I need to get something that is a treat but not high in calories. Ice cream of any kind doesn't fit that bill at all.
I ran off the Bulletproof diet and it is heavy on fat but the veggies and meat etc are supposed to be equal but I can see how protein and fat would take over just like it does on a lot of folks that try Adkins.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Some things are too much of a hassle to grow, plus you can get them cheap enough at the store. For me, lettuce is too time consuming to bother growing, just the time spent harvesting adds at least another 1/2 hour to making a salad and every bug in the world seems to be drawn to lettuce. I'll support the lettuce growers of the world, LOL.

We saw the new Star Trek movie last night, I really liked it, of course they all looked so young, but the really got the eyes and the voices right for all the major characters. Even down to Lt Uhuru's fake eyelashes.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG that's so funny Dak about Uhura's eyelashes. I love watching tv shows from the 60s just to check out the false eyelashes. The ones in the westerns like Gunsmoke are a hoot. Oh and the doctor in Dark Shadows!

I have a really hard time figuring out the fat/protein/carb percentages. I do eat a lot of veggies and I consider things like green beans and salad greens free food. No one is getting fat on those

I add butter or olive oil to everything but I still don't think I get near 60%.

I'm making filet mignon for dinner tonight because I'm craving it. It's crazy. Maybe I'm low on iron.

Dak, I thought about you when I was reading Watchers because it sounded like it was set in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

And all of my lettuce was bitter but the chard is really nice and keeps on keeping on.
We are exhausted since the hay man cut hay today so we had to go load and haul 100 square bales for the goats. TOOK US 2 HOURS TO LOAD THAT MANY. I DROVE THE TRUCK TRHOUGH THE FIELD AND dh LOADED. oops caps lock. We are too old for this.
But it is done and in the driveway. Still has to be unloaded in the morning. Beautiful hay though.
Almost through moving our offices. Tomorrow should be the rest of it but we have help coming since it is the heavy stuff. Today was a DD and I have been so busy I can't even remember if I ate anything all day. I had coffee with HWC for breakfast.
kritter - make the coconut oil/eggs ice cream. THE fat % in that has to be sky high.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, what a lot of work! And you say you don't exercise ( )you both must be exhausted.

I was listening to a Dave esprey podcast yesterday, someone was asking about P90x and he suggested T-tapping instead. He thinks weight loss is stressful enough for the body, that stressful exercise is counterproductive. I'm liking listening to podcasts during my commute, and picking up random bits of knowledge.

My last few family meals at restaurants have all ended up being disappointing, especially for the amount we've paid. DS's bday is Thursday, I said I would cook, I just can't decide what. I want to do something on the grill with potatoes, ribs? Chicken? Beef? DS says anything will be fine. Help?