Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
I try not to feel awkward when I ask for help carrying something and the helper is another woman or older than me. 50 pounds sacks does make it easier. I buy 50 pound sacks of gravel, heavy, but still doable.

I'm wanting to freeze some of the produce I'm growing, peppers, tomatoes, berries (maybe next year, right now I'm eating them off the vine). Chart is a really good idea.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
Adi, I know what you mean about not being able to find things in the upright. That's my refrigerator right now. It's on the small side and things are packed so tight in there, I can never find anything.

What kind of containers do you use for storing the milk? Are they made specifically for the freezer?

Dak do you have a place where you can by a 1/2 side of beef? We do have places around here, but we're just not big enough beef eaters to warrant buying it and we have no place to store it.

Mmm, I bought roasted spicy chick peas yesterday. They' Indian snack food. Very addictive.

So I'm trying the Virgin diet which has you eliminate soy, dairy, eggs, sugar, gluten, corn and artificial sweeteners. For starters, I'll do all except dairy and artificial sweeteners. I think you're allowed to use xylitol so I'm going to try using that in my hot tea, but will still use davinics sf vanilla plus cream in my coffee. I'm going to limit coffee to 1 cup a day though. I just bought a bunch of low fat cheese so I'll use that sparingly until it's gone. What I like about this diet is that you can still eat rice and potatoes, although you shouldn't go crazy with them.
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
kritter - I just use empty gallon milk or water jugs to freeze the milk. We only use it for soap or to feed calves or kids.
We have a steer that can go to the processor at any time now but I want to wait until the freezer is just about empty of meat. Then we can share with DS too. The pigs will not be ready until fall or winter.
I have been experimenting with xylitol and erythritol but so far I just don't get real excited about either and I have never like stevia. Getting a sweet taste is just hard if trying to dump Splenda.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The virgin diet sounds good, always nice to be able to still eat potatoes. Besides wine, ranching is big business around here. I googled grass fed beef this morning and found 4 suppliers in this area. The Hearst Ranch is a big one, if I get a freezer I think I might connect with one I found along the coast.

Adi, have you used the Birch based xylitol? I've used it to sweeten yogurt, I really like the taste.

I picked berries today.

And hung out with my hummingbird.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - Beautiful pictures. I have no idea what the xylitol I used was made from. All of the ones I have tried seem to have a strange taste. I am sure I could get used to it. Probably would do better to just eliminate AS. all together.

Off to work.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak what a beautiful picture of the hummingbird. What kind of camera are you using?

Mmm I had sushi for dinner tonight. It was made with brown rice and tuna. I think I'm hooked now.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Beautiful pictures dak! What camera? I cannot believe how you can zoom in!

Virgin Diet sounds interesting Krit.

I am leaving tomorrow for Philly, driving 5 hours, then 5 hours more the next day... It will be a whirlwind weekend but happy to see my mom and dad Eating healthy will be ridiculously hard....
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When DH upgraded his camera a few years ago, I got his old one. Don't tell him, but I like his old much better than his new fancy one. It's a Sony Cybershot, 5.1. When I saw the hummingbird, I was about 20 feet away, it takes such clear resolution that I was able to crop it down to just the bird and the flower and not lose any of the clarity.

Have a good trip, Lil Miss! Bring your own snacks, eating on the road is usually so bleak, nice to have your own food.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi all. I received my first red wasp sting in my entire life yesterday in the garden through my sock. Even though I went in and sprayed it with benadryl, my whole leg is swollen. AND it still hurts. Whine, whine.
DD for me and I feel awful. Think I gained 5 pounds of water with my sting. Hopefully it will go away in a few days.
lilmiss - enjoy your trip.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh no, that's awful! And such a strong reaction, must mean you need to stop and put your feet up and ret for a while. In your spare time.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yikes Adi, that's a bad reaction. Did you take any oral benadryl? Are you staying home from work?

I'm on a sushi kick since I can eat it on this new diet. Had it again tonight for dinner and I bought an extra to take to work for lunch tomorrow. But what I didn't realize is that my bragg's liquid aminos is made from soybeans. For some reason, I thought it was made from something else. Since I'm avoiding soy I'll have to season my sushi with something else. One thing that might be good with it is a soupy broth made with "Better Than Boullion". I'll have to experiment.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sushi w/o soy sauce would be a bit different, but it's better to avoid soy, you're right. But isn't tamari/soy sauce fermented? I thought that made soy better to digest?

I've been doing the bulletproof diet, basically, it's LC with carbs like occasional rice and sweet potatoes. The bulletproof coffee puts me into a bit of an intermittent fasting mode, so depending on my schedule, I can fit one meal in around 1 or 2 or skip that meal entirely then eat around 5 or 6. It's really made me aware of how wheat makes me sleepy after I eat and just how food affects me in general. The BBC is really helping my mind stay sharp, much less forgetting words and being tired. But like LC, it would be very difficult to do and be social, eat out, etc. I am liking how I feel on it.

Adi, went to your blog, love all your ribbons & beautiful goats! I didn't realize that your DH is feeding goats milk to his new calf, what a great set-up.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Kritter - I am at work cause I have to be since we are moving. Hoping the swelling goes down soon.
Dak- I like to do the blog but I need new pictures of something cute for this week. Thanks. DH doesn't mind doing the morning milking since he is using about 3 gallons of milk a day for his three calves. They do so good on goat milk.
I have three bitty babies next to the milk room that will keep on being fed milk but the rest are old enough to wean by the end of the month and then we will be swimming in milk. The pigs are going to have to pick up the pace or DH will need some more bottle babies. Two of his current ones are heifers so he will probably keep them for cows. It is nice to have really tame cows when they grow up.

I need to scale back my UD's since I have been getting way too many sugar calories in ice cream. I ate dinner last night on a DD which I usually do not do BUT it was all out of the garden, cucumbers and tomato slices (only had one ripe tomato) and zucchini. Low in calories but it sure was good. I was surprised that we had cucumbers and two different kinds too.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Isn't it great having a meal from the garden? I'm trying cucumbers this year, never grown them before, so I'm excited to see how they'll be. I was thinking cucumber and cherry tomatoes would be nice, there's a Martha Stewart recipe with a great picture, here, Aunt Peggy's cucumber salad that I want to try this summer.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mmm, that cucumber salad looks great.

Dak, the reason The Virgin Diet says to avoid soy is its effect on metabolism. Thing is, it's probably not bad to use it now and then. The problem is that it is in so much food now, but if I avoid eating processed food it shouldn't be a problem.

That is great that you're learning how different foods affect you.

I made hummus tonight and mixed some of it with brown basmati rice that I made last night. It was pretty tasty and boy was hit filling.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's good to know regarding soy and metabolism. I do try and stay away from soy, wish I had known about it earlier, I used to use it a lot.

Long week, so glad it's Friday. I'm really enjoying how the BBC makes me feel in the mornings. Yesterday I brewed 3 cups, and ate very light that evening. Besides being filling, it's helping me not binge on foods that I like, like olives, I can eat just a few, then not feel like I have to keep eating them.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I went to town yesterday after work to see if there was any hope for my iPhone, the headphones aren't working anymore for the phone, and it doesn't look good. I am up for renewal this month, so maybe I'll just get a new phone.

Went to Costco, I had been looking to buy an ice cream maker, there was one on Amazon I had narrowed it down to, a Cuisinart, but for $89, I was still thinking about it. Costco had it for $39! I have the bowl in the freezer now, we'll have ice cream tonight. I really want to control what's going into to our food, plus I want to try BP ice cream.

I guess I really shouldn't go out shopping because I got sucked into a Traeger grill demonstration at Costco, now I really want a new barbeque.

Remember seeing all those threads about coconut oil helping you lose belly fat? I always thought those were too good to be true, but it's actually working. I put on a skirt yesterday and it slipped down below my waist, I've lost an inch at least from my stomach since I've started the BPC.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak- congrats on the loss. I tried the BPC but could not stand it for some reason. But I like coffee with HWC. I have a Cuisinart ice cream freezer with two bowls. I love ti even though it makes a small amount. That is a good thing since I have no portion control when ice cream is involved.
I lost my phone at work and I just knew I had left it in the car. I leave the windows open several inches due to the heat and I don't know if some kid from the youth center stole it or what but it ended up at the Sonic Drive in. It had been run over and the manager put the SIM card into another phone and called Curt so we got it back. Had to go buy a new phone this morning and they were able to retrieve all of my data and put it on my new phone. I went ahead and got another iphone and got the 5 which means it is a different size so I had to get a new Otter box too. The charger is also different. My other phone was probably over 5 years old but I liked it. Got out for under $300 with all of the add ons and taxes. Could have gotten another 3G for $99 but I wanted a phone as good as DS has. Trying to keep up.
We will find out tomorrow if DS graduates on the 21st. If he does we will have to start driving to GA Wednesday evening and will drive home on Saturday. I am excited that my baby might be an Army Ranger in a few days. If he recycles he will graduate July12 which would be more convenient for us but not for him.
I have eggs hatching. I am hatching eggs for my secretary so she can have laying hens when she moves to the country. I am giving her some hens that are already laying too and she has a 5 year old grandson that loves chickens.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Dak, I know what you mean about shopping. You wind up needing things you never knew existed . Great deal on the ice cream maker!

And so exciting about the lost inches! So are you putting coconut oil in your coffee? If so, do you put anything else in it like artificial sweetener or cream?

Adi, that's so annoying that they change the chargers so you have to buy all new ones. Hope you enjoy your new phone!

We had such a great night last night. It was a beautiful, cool night for sitting out with DH drinking wine and listening to music. We wound up setting up a fire in the fire pit. Later today we're going to my brother's house for my niece's college graduation party.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Kritter, the recipe for BP coffee is 2 cups coffee, 2 tbs unsalted grassfed butter & 1 tbs coconut oil (or refined MTC oil). Got to remember that butter is made from cream, at least, that was how I was convinced to try it. It also has to be blended well, the Vitamix is getting a workout again. Something about all that fat slows the effect of coffee down, so I really don't want to eat again till around 1 or 2.

Your description of hanging out with a fire, wine & music sounds so nice. We're going to take DH kayaking for Fathers Day, should be fun.

I made BP ice cream today, and it knocked me out. I had to lie down and take a nap. Powerful stuff.

I made the mistake of curing my garlic on it's side, some of the stalks had started to develop mold. I've salvaged some, but will have to cut the stalks off of some of them. I use the stalks to lash the garlic together like a braid, so I wanted those stalks! I do have a lot more to harvest, going to hang them this time.

Sorry you had to get a new phone Adi, but good that you were able to recover your data. How did you find your phone, did "find my phone" locate it for you?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - the manager at the Sonic took the SIM card out of my crushed phone and put it in another phone to find out who owned it. He then called DH's number and told him the phone was at the Sonic. Then the kid (friend of DS') at the AT&T store hooked my crushed phone up to their computer and uploaded all of my data to the new phone. Glad I was able to salvage most of the data. Lost my emails but I have Hotmail back on the phone and my school email will not be valid after June 28th so I am not going to worry about that one.
I even bought a little frother to make the BPC. How do you make BP ice cream? Sorry about the garlic. I had to break down and spray all of my squash plants due to the hige number of squash bugs sucking the life out of them. I lift the plant and spray the ground and the underneath which is where all of the bugs are congregated.

We shuffled goat kids today by age and boy are they unhappy. New pens and new pen mates and they are confused and not thrilled by the moves. All but six will be weaned by Wednesday so they have more trauma heading their way.
One of our piggies hurt his back and can't walk. Not sure if he broke it or just injured it. Not good.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So it just turned up smashed at Sonic? The owner was pretty nice to try and locate the owners. There are a lot of good people in the world. Did you lose your hotmail address with the changeover? DS uses hotmail for mail, but apparently email is for old people, he just seems to text.

BP ice cream is eggs, (4 whole eggs and 4 yolks) butter, MTC oil, vanilla, xylitol, coconut oil and vanilla blended in the vitamix for a few minutes, then poured into the ice cream maker.

I've just checked under my leaves for squash bugs, they're horrible. Luckily none so far, but I know they're coming. Hope your pig recovers and doesn't have any broken bones. Did you say you had a pair of pigs? They do seem happier with a buddy. Can you pasture your pigs? I've been hearing about how in the fall, people let them feed on acorns.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - our pigs are in a small pen because we don't have a way to keep them from going onto the oilfield pad and they sure don't want pigs plowing up that site. They tolerate it when a calf gets in there. Piggie stays in the wallow. DH has food and water there for him. He can pull himself up and around some with his front end. We will give him a few days to see if he just hurt it and didn't break his back. DH had to put a panel across their pen to keep his pen buddy from hurting him more playing rough.
Boy that BP ice cream sounds odd. How was the taste and texture? I have everything except the MCT oil.
I can check my email from my phone and had two accounts set up. It was handy to be able to check school email from anywhere I was and respond. Kind of like working 24/7 though. I have set Hotmail back up so I can check it frequently from my phone. email is for old folks as well as work. DH uses texting more than email I think.
Today is a DD. I have bounced up in weight since I wanted to gain 5 pounds back I did and then suddenly it was 10. Back to WLM to get rid of the extra 5 I wasn't planning on. Kind of a slow results I guess. I was just looking too haggard and was constantly tired. I feel much better with the extra 10 pounds and will stay at this weight if losing 5 makes me start to drag around again.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hadn't thought of that, how exactly would one completely fence in pigs? Sounds like a serious investment in fencing, as they do get quite strong. I hope your pig begins to get better soon.

I thought the recipe was rather odd too as I made it. When I took it out of the machine it was like yogurt (not greek yogurt either). Now it's like frozen yogurt, maybe I should have let it churn longer. Their instructions did say one hour, my machine said 1/2 hour, I guess I should have followed their instructions. I do like the taste, but if you didn't like the BP coffee, you might not like this? It would be a good way to use up eggs though.

I made eggs yesterday with garlic scapes, a couple of peppers, a couple of tomatoes, & a little cheese, all the veggies were from my garden. It was delicious. Now if I can get more peppers and tomatoes that are ripe, I'll be eating all the time from the garden.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

I just discovered I did not put my Cusinart canisters back in the freezer the last time I used them so I can't try this today. But I have plenty of eggs. tHAT IS FOR SURE. And I have eggs hatching today to replce the ehns I am giving away.
I am fixing Shiritaki noodles, zucchini and spaghetti sauce for lunch. Found the yellow squash seeds that DH said he planted. We can go ahead and plant them now and the life cycle of the squash bug will be over when they are grown.
The pig places I have seen that pasture pigs have a solid fence at the bottom. Sometimes corrugated metal.
We are patiently waiting on a phone call this evening from DS so we will know if we have to go to GA next week or not. This stress is starting to get to me though.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Well DS is recycling Swamps in Florida and I secretly do not mind since we were wondering how we were going to get our offices moved on time and be gone most of next week. Now his graduation should be July 12 and I am on vacation and we can relax and take our time and enjoy the trip and activities rather than rush there and rush back. Plus out help for when we are gone has an elderly grandparent in the hospital and might not have been able to milk for us next week.
I have been nauseated all day since I tried to drink BPC for breakfast. I am thinking it must be the coconut oil. Not used to it.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's awful that it makes you nauseated, I wonder if the MTC oil would be any better? I used it in my coffee for the first time this morning, I could feel the difference in my brain, it makes me feel sharper. Hate to suggest that you try it and then still be nauseated though.

We went kayaking today with DS & his GF, then had a really nice lunch overlooking the bay. After lunch, we went Costco & got a new barbeque/smoker. Didn't eat till late tonight as we had to put it together and then season it for about an hour before we cooked on it, but wow, I'm happy. I see using it a lot this summer.

That's good news about the rescheduled date, well, for everyone except your DS that has to redo. I wonder if they're making him work harder because he's so good? A little mind type games?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Sometimes they do make them repeat for odd reasons. I think he had to start three times because he needed to be taken down a notch. he can be a little on the arrogant side at times. Just my opinion. He did not tell me the reason for his recycle although I asked. He just said more in his company recycled than in the other companies so maybe his group had a tougher teacher (leader) this round and he will go to a different company next round. Hope he makes it for the July 12 date. that would be perfect for us.
I remember the coconut oil makes me sick when I started using it before. Takes awhile to get used to it again.
Dak - enjoy your new smoker. We haven't even cranked up our grill this summer. Too much to do otherwise.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think just about all 20 somethings have an arrogant nature, it's probably genetic to help them transition to adulthood. It's when they don't grow out of it that it's a problem, I think.

The chicken I cooked last night turned out really really well. This could be the start of me getting inspired again to cook more.

Getting tricky trying to keep up with harvesting. Berries are ready to be picked, plums should have bird netting put on, all things I like doing but not enough time.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Oh Dak, that cucumber salad looks amazing!

Adi- LMAO at you trying to keep up with DS' phone!

Krit - the evenings outside with wine and music sound heavenly!

Had a wonderful visit home in PA. My Mom and Dad are as back to normal as one could hope for. It was almost eerie! I feel so good. I feel now, returned back to over a year ago...I know there will be a day where I again get a call that is life changing, but for today... things are okay.

Started LC today. DH is doing the 8 hour diet following ww guidelines. It's kind of annoying lol

Tried to catch up all day today after being away. STILL not caught up and am volunteering at church tomorrow for kids Vacation bible school camp. Oy NO time to get it all done!

OK, I need your HELP! My RAISED garden - finally a red tomato - HALF eaten. It has to be a chipmunk or something. What do I do? Put wire all around the plants? Where does one find/purchase that wire?