Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #511
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
Just wanna say -- I love this thread!

A little more rain today. Usually. but not the past couple of years, we would get rain showers every afternoon in the summer.

Avy -- good luck on your exam.

CJ - get better soon. I hope you can get it licked in a day or two.

Deb - just keep one foot in the wagon still and get ready to jump totally back on on Sunday. It is hard when you feel you're off the track to not totally jump off. Stay strong.

Karen - at first I thought you posted that you had gas last night but it says GS. What is GS?

Pat - would love your recipe for the Mex stew too!

My sister turned me on to Makoto Vegetable Sauce. You like the white sauce at Kobe, you'll love this. This is the same thing. And only 1 nc per serving! I use it on my sautéed vegetables and also use a little with my chicken. I got it at Publix in their produce section.
GS is Grandson. He will be 2 in September....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #512
Big Yapper!!!!

Sister lives in Calgary.....but she is visiting in Oregon this week. Hope her house is okay.

Have to talk to her soon.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #513
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rbenz
WOE: Trying to resist anything white.
For Calgary & others in harms way. Heard @ least 100,000 have been evacuated!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #514
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbenz View Post
For Calgary & others in harms way. Heard @ least 100,000 have been evacuated!
Mother Nature disasters are just mind-boggling when you actually see (or are affected by) them...........

My sister says she lives up high, but the University of Calgary is at risk. People are supposed to work from home.

When Des Moines flooded for the first time in 500 years, the water and damage was just amazing. (And tornadoes are same way!!!!)
.................................................. .............................................

Back to weight......................I am debating whether salt or SF drinks are my bigger enemy. I just look at food, know I should eat something else, and then eat it anyway.
Last night took a bike ride and ended up at local establishment. The Marguiritas in a can aren't too bad. First alcohol drink in public place in several years...........but I felt like I needed to go out in public instead of sit home alone.(softball games last night for DH and DD20) All I do is work and home.....literally.

Wondering if I need to get a life back (outsiden work). Then decide if want to do motorcycles or horses or what to get out. And maybe this is just a depressing year

Sorry ladies...I don't usually vent, but once I catch myself, I usually post it anyway. Hope it is therapeutic somewhere in my brain....... so punching the send button now.
12/31 2006... 2007 ... 2008 ... 2009 ...2010 ...2011... 2012 ... 2013... 2014
.. ......177.0...174.0....174.0...183.0...184.0...183 .5...185.5....192.0

Goal of less than 170.0 by Year End 2014.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #515
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CJMO
WOE: My way mixing it low carb
As you tell me when I vent.... We are here for you. Vent away.

Yes you need a life outside of work. We all need balance in our lives. Be it food, work, fitness, recreation, family etc. I think that is a big part of our journey here. When one part gets out of balance, the others do. At least that's what it seems to me. And finding that balance is harder than it seems. I see a lot of us put others before others well being , work etc before ourselves. So Karen get out there and ride, whether it is horses or bikes. Take care of yourself.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #516
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am glad your sister is ok and lives up high.

I read there is more rain on the way this week. It's just so sad.

Last edited by CJMO; 06-22-2013 at 07:19 AM..
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Avy good for you getting checked out by Dr. Sorry about the scale jump.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #518
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does anyone have experience with carb cycling?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #519
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Cheryl when are you coming over to install my new taps

thanks for the giggle
Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #520
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMO View Post
Avy good for you getting checked out by Dr. Sorry about the scale jump.
and congrates on the 50 lbs

Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #521
Deb

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with carb cycling?
I will learn with u and do it with you ????

if you want
Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

From what I have read there seem to be several ways to do it. You alternate low carb and high carb. Or 2 low carb, 2 medium carb, 3 high carb days . Weight trainers use the high carb on days the weight train. It also seems to work for people that are not sensitive to very low carb any more. It is supposed to confuse your metabolism. It is moderate fat. You decide what days are which carb level each week. Some people are more structured but from what I read it doesn't really need to be the same days each week.

I'm sure you probably have to tinker with it to find out what works best for you. I am going to try.0-20 for low, 40-50 for medium and 80-100 for high and see what happens. I will try it for a month.

Of course you can Deb. and anyone else.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #523
Deb

interesting Cheryl..i will do some reading and maybe do a low day and then 2 medium days.

no calories involved then ?

off to do some reading

Cheryl you can get a app on this site

http://www.cutandjacked.com/Carb-Cycling-Made-Easy

Last edited by Deb; 06-22-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #524
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
From what I have read there seem to be several ways to do it. You alternate low carb and high carb. Or 2 low carb, 2 medium carb, 3 high carb days . Weight trainers use the high carb on days the weight train. It also seems to work for people that are not sensitive to very low carb any more. It is supposed to confuse your metabolism. It is moderate fat. You decide what days are which carb level each week. Some people are more structured but from what I read it doesn't really need to be the same days each week.

I'm sure you probably have to tinker with it to find out what works best for you. I am going to try.0-20 for low, 40-50 for medium and 80-100 for high and see what happens. I will try it for a month.

Of course you can Deb. and anyone else.
Keep us posted. Sounds a little like what I do, but that is mainly falling off plan and getting back on

Maybe would work well if done in a structured way.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #525
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Deb. I will look that app up

Karen me too. Only too many high carb days.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #526
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Sounds a little like what I do, but that is mainly falling off plan and getting back on

Maybe would work well if done in a structured way.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #527
Deb

we just bought new journals and we are going to get back to jounaling 1st of july..will be great because we will be away for 4 days camping for my b-day

taking the dog with us on this trip and planning on doing a lot of hiking where we are going

there are 2 lakes so trails all over the mountains around them

today im feeling like im getting out of my funk and will get back to plan Monday for sure

Monday--full body workout at the y
Tuesday--run
Wed--yoga
Thursday--full body worout at the y
Friday/sat/sunday/ run,hike or bow-flex
Old 06-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #528
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Had my blood work done this morning, then hit Subway for a breakfast of salad :P and off to Qualicum, about 45 mins away for the farmer's market. It's fantastic there! pasture raised organic beef for $7/lb, any cut, $5/lb ground beef, and pork chops, sausage, bacon, chickens, all organic, pasture raised, etc etc. Oh, and bought some veggies too! Alex even got some fancy hand made pasta.

Came home and made salad from all the fixings we bought, and had left over stew from last night, and raspberries for dessert. Huge lunch!

Down .4 today, going to drink a ton of water and tea, and maybe a big BP coffee later. Not sure what's for supper tonight, maybe roast chicken legs and thighs, with some of the veggies I bought.

Still eating a ton more carbs in the form of veggies and berries, but I'm not focused on losing weight this summer, just being healthy and feeling good, and not getting fatter lol!

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #529
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Had my blood work done this morning, then hit Subway for a breakfast of salad :P and off to Qualicum, about 45 mins away for the farmer's market. It's fantastic there! pasture raised organic beef for $7/lb, any cut, $5/lb ground beef, and pork chops, sausage, bacon, chickens, all organic, pasture raised, etc etc. Oh, and bought some veggies too! Alex even got some fancy hand made pasta.

Came home and made salad from all the fixings we bought, and had left over stew from last night, and raspberries for dessert. Huge lunch!

Down .4 today, going to drink a ton of water and tea, and maybe a big BP coffee later. Not sure what's for supper tonight, maybe roast chicken legs and thighs, with some of the veggies I bought.

Still eating a ton more carbs in the form of veggies and berries, but I'm not focused on losing weight this summer, just being healthy and feeling good, and not getting fatter lol!
Man, I need to figure it out,.......we sell partial beef carcasses at $2 per lb plus 55 cents processing............
Old 06-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #530
Avy
Senior LCF Member

yeah, I honestly don't know what a good price is. I know that Superstore sells regular (scary!) beef anywhere from $3-6 a lb, depending on the cut, and ground beef $3-5 a lb depending on the leanness or sales. That being said, the organic/slightly better stuff they sell is easily the same or more than the stuff straight from the farmer, and definitely not "local".

I wonder how much meat you would get out of that? $2 a lb sounds like a great price, but we need to do the math and my adding machine is at work!

Quote:
Man, I need to figure it out,.......we sell partial beef carcasses at $2 per lb plus 55 cents processing............
Old 06-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #531
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
We used to have a neighbor whose father raised cattle. We would split it and get 1/2 beef each. It came out to a little over $2.00/# after processing. But that was 5-6 years ago.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #532
Deb

today we bought a sirloin roast from Costco and cut our own steaks..$40.00 and we get 12 meals out of it.

I refuse to buy super-store meat because it never looks good BUT Costco is always good looking and for what you get reasonable

we cut our own pork loins too
Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #533
Avy
Senior LCF Member

I agree about Costco and Superstore, the quality is usually good at the first, bad at the other. I'm trying to go more towards the organic and pastured meats, and don't see anything at Costco in my area.

Generally, I don't buy Superstore meats, but they are almost the only big chain with an organic selection, and by that I mean, more than one package of meat at any given time lol. There are a couple of smaller chains locally with nicer looking (and cheaper) meats, so if I need something, I go there, but not often. I'm cheap, so I buy Costco frozen chicken breasts, and frozen burgers/fish, and the fresh steaks/pork loins, etc. As I find new/better places to buy, I'll buy the organic instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
today we bought a sirloin roast from Costco and cut our own steaks..$40.00 and we get 12 meals out of it.

I refuse to buy super-store meat because it never looks good BUT Costco is always good looking and for what you get reasonable

we cut our own pork loins too
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #534
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
I agree about Costco and Superstore, the quality is usually good at the first, bad at the other. I'm trying to go more towards the organic and pastured meats, and don't see anything at Costco in my area.
we saw lots of organic food today even at our Costco
I love Costco

we walked to the town farmers market today and everything is organic
BUT
I question if it is or not

farmers don't like me questioning but how do you know
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #535
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rbenz
WOE: Trying to resist anything white.
Quote:
As you tell me when I vent.... We are here for you. Vent away.

Yes you need a life outside of work. We all need balance in our lives. Be it food, work, fitness, recreation, family etc. I think that is a big part of our journey here. When one part gets out of balance, the others do. At least that's what it seems to me. And finding that balance is harder than it seems. I see a lot of us put others before others well being , work etc before ourselves. So Karen get out there and ride, whether it is horses or bikes. Take care of yourself.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #536
Avy
Senior LCF Member

We went to Costco thursday night, specifically looking for organic foods, and were disappointed! I dunno what it is!

Yes everything at every market alwyas says organic, I guess I just assume every farmer is honest lol because it never crossed my mind that their signs weren't true! I am 100% skeptical of everything I see in the stores though, especially if it's in a box or can, which is just as silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
we saw lots of organic food today even at our Costco
I love Costco

we walked to the town farmers market today and everything is organic
BUT
I question if it is or not

farmers don't like me questioning but how do you know
Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #537
Deb

happy sunday morning to all

its another yucky day here but its NOT Calgary and we cant complain

going to have a kick back day today and bbq steak tonight and a sit at the bar on the deck

going to plan out my meals for a few days..going to be very low carb so I can get back on track..i have lots of meat and eggs.

whats everyone doing today?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #538
Deb

saw this on F/B

Zucchini Hummus

5 minutes

10 minutes

8-10 Servings

Zucchini Hummus

Ingredients
•2 medium zucchini, peeled and chopped
•½ cup tahini
•⅓ cup lemon juice
•⅓ cup olive oil
•3 garlic cloves
•1½ teaspoons cumin
•Salt & pepper to taste

Directions

Combine all ingredients in the base of a food processor, and process until smooth. Serve with crisp raw veggies, such as carrots, celery sticks, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, or cucumber slices, for dipping.

Last edited by Deb; 06-23-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #539
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/123/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
I'm back ss to be MIA but I've been so busy. Finally I think things are going to get back to normal. My BFF DD had a transplant last year and now she's in rejection. So I've been working 2 jobs hers and my own. So many hours, I don't know how Laura does all those hours. I'm exhausted, but I've been eating on plan but no time for exercise except for all the houses I'm cleaning, doing my BFF too so she doesn't lose her clients. Will try and be back everyday to check in. Going to just relax today it's been so hot and humid. Now I'm going to try and catch up on what's been going on. I missed everyone.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #540
Deb

Oh Misty so glad you checked in

is your friends DD going to be ok?

have a nice relaxing sunday
Closed Thread