Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #451
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMO View Post
Ummm looks yummy!
I know I know..i guess if no one will make it for me I will have to

Karen its nice that everything is so close for you in town

I can walk most places except Costco which is the most important

I like a sun glow

did anyone see my pix on F/B ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CJMO
WOE: My way mixing it low carb
For some reason they didn't show on my newsfeed. I found them when I went to your page. Pretty. Where is it?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #453
Deb

Quote:
For some reason they didn't show on my newsfeed. I found them when I went to your page. Pretty. Where is it?
that's the copper mine outside of a little town Ashcroft and Logan Lake
my guy worked there for 37 years

I always thought the mine was pretty and cant figure out why people complain about them
Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They are a lot prettier than ours
Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #455
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I was just reading about ginseng in my course notes the other day! There are 3 types. I don't actually take it, but it looks helpful. I copied the notes from a website below. These are not my course notes because I couldn't find it quickly enough for my impatient self.

There are three main species of ginseng, Oriental, Siberian and American. Oriental ginseng has been used in Traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years. Native Americans have likewise used American ginseng for all of their recorded history.

While all three forms share many common elements, there are differences among them. Siberian ginseng is not truly ginseng at all, but rather a distant cousin to the Oriental species.

Oriental ginseng (panax ginseng) is grown in both China and Korea. Red panax, as grown by the Koreans is the most popular form of ginseng. It gets its name from the processing of the root, which turns it red. White Oriental ginseng on the other hand is the ginseng root that has been allowed to dry naturally.

Wild Oriental ginseng is extremely rare in the market today and can command a price upwards of twenty thousand dollars an ounce (31103.3 milligrams). For this reason, most Chinese and Korean ginseng is usually cultivated for use.

American ginseng, (panax quinquefolium) at one time, was plentiful in all mountainous regions of the United States. Over-harvesting led to tight restrictions on this once-abundant herb. Now, only licensed ginseng harvesters are allowed to dig for the wild ginseng root.

American ginseng is also commonly cultivated. Relatively easy to grow, the root takes approximately 5 years to reach harvesting maturity.

Siberian ginseng, (eleutherococcus senticocus) is a distant cousin to the panax ginseng of the Orient. While Siberian ginseng shares many of the same properties of Oriental species, it is easier to cultivate and generally sells for much less.

All forms of ginseng are said to aid in reducing stress, improving vitality and boosting the immune system. Oriental ginseng, whether white or red, is often taken as a daily tonic with the added benefit of an energy boost.

American ginseng has been found to aid menopausal women with hot flashes, reduce fevers and the loosening of a dry, hacking cough due to smoking or other factors. Russian scientists claim that Siberian ginseng aids in memory, stamina and endurance. Siberian ginseng is a staple of athlete's and production workers.

Which type of ginseng should a person take? Any one of the three types is generally considered to be worthwhile. Price and availability plays an important role also. With the advent of online shopping, all three forms are readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
OMG I made broth with my turkey carcass

so does anyone take ginseng?
I know there is 2 different kinds and one is better than the other

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #456
Deb

Avy that's some great info !!!

we actually passed a ginseng farm on our sat drive

I guess I will just see what Costco has on the weekend
and im putting my man on it too

Avy are you enjoying class? anytime you have some good info let us know
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We are taking our deck from a deep reddish color-that's how it was when we bought the place- to a more natural cedar color. Lots of power washing to get all that red out. DH finished that and put the wood brightener on yesterday. Planned to do the stain today. It is just now getting sunny. Maybe next weekend. Or we may go to the lake.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #458
Avy
Senior LCF Member

I am enjoying it so far. It is as expected, lots of "healthy whole grains, red meat is bad, saturated fat should be kept low, blah blah blah" and the writer of the course is a definite vegetarian. I take it all with a grain of salt, and I'm still learning stuff. I've done all the reading for the first course and done all the tests because I'm a keener lol but I haven't submitted them yet. At this rate I'll be able to finish the 18 month course and be certified in 7 months. Assuming I can do 1 course a month... and since it took 5 days for me to do the first course in it's entirety (not including the exam study prep of course) I think that's pretty doable, since from here til December will be my "not as busy time" at work. As long as I can keep focused on it, it'll be a breeze.

Also I have been watching lots of documentaries on the food industry lately, and started research on how to participate in a CSA, buy organic, pasture meat and all that, in my community. Lots of local farms and community groups, and markets, so it's interesting! I'm definitely getting on board with supporting the local growers and eating organic, some of the stuff I have seen regarding the mass production facilities, disease, and chemical $#@! storms that goes into the "fresh produce" and meats/chicken/eggs we buy in the stores is frankly horrifying. I never thought I'd be one of those tree hugging, granola eating hippies! LOL. No wonder as a people we are all so unhealthy and malnourished, even as we get fatter and fatter.

Anyhow, it's interesting, I'm learning a lot, and Netflix has lots of good documentaries to watch.

Quote:
Avy that's some great info !!!

we actually passed a ginseng farm on our sat drive

I guess I will just see what Costco has on the weekend
and im putting my man on it too

Avy are you enjoying class? anytime you have some good info let us know
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #459
Deb

Avy it sounds like your learning a lot and smarty pants getting threw the coarse so fast

I don't want to know too much about the food business for sure
I have watched some doc's and im

Cheryl a nice shiny new deck hope this weekend is good weather and you can get some done !

We had sun all day..real hot and now there is a storm coming in
BUT tomorrow real hot again so L/B and his daughter are going to my lake house to do yard work its been so wet that no one has been able to get out there and do it...L/B told me not to go there cause its a real mess so it must be

did I tell you that me and L/B's DD are getting along better?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #460
Avy
Senior LCF Member

lol thanks... I'm interested in it and focused, so it's easy to obsess and get it done. :P Yeah, there's lots I don't want to know about the food industry, and how corrupt it is, and political, especially in the US. I'm sure Canada isn't far behind either.

Not saying I will go out and only buy local and only organic etc, but I'll sure be thinking twice about every purchase I make, and where it comes from, and what's in it. /shiver. For the last year I have rarely eaten fast food or processed food of any kind for health reasons. Now I am making those choices for political and ethical reasons as well.

Quote:
Avy it sounds like your learning a lot and smarty pants getting threw the coarse so fast

I don't want to know too much about the food business for sure
I have watched some doc's and im

Cheryl a nice shiny new deck hope this weekend is good weather and you can get some done !

We had sun all day..real hot and now there is a storm coming in
BUT tomorrow real hot again so L/B and his daughter are going to my lake house to do yard work its been so wet that no one has been able to get out there and do it...L/B told me not to go there cause its a real mess so it must be

did I tell you that me and L/B's DD are getting along better?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #461
Deb

Good afternoon

the sun is out and my man has gone to the lake house for the day to do yard work..
makes me feel so much better
Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #462
Deb

Just pounded out my chicken breasts for the chard and cheese stuffed chicken

im going to put a parm crust on the outside of the chicken and I saved 2 pieces of chicken so tomorrow I can do the stuffed spinach and cheese

I so need some new ideas and recipe's

whats everyone cooking?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #463
Avy
Senior LCF Member

I bought organic greens, zucchini and a tomato for salad tonight, and a pork chop...nothing very creative to help you lol.

Saturday June 1, 2013 182.80
Sunday June 2, 2013 180.60
Monday June 3, 2013 180.80
Tuesday June 4, 2013 181.40
Wednesda June 5, 2013 180.80
Thursday June 6, 2013 181.00
Friday June 7, 2013 180.60
Saturday June 8, 2013 179.00
Sunday June 9, 2013 180.80
Monday June 10, 2013 178.60
Tuesday June 11, 2013 179.00
Wednesda June 12, 2013 179.20
Thursday June 13, 2013 179.00
Friday June 14, 2013 179.00
Saturday June 15, 2013 183.00
Sunday June 16, 2013 182.00
Monday June 17, 2013 180.60
Tuesday June 18, 2013 179.40
Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mine was bought from the freezer section. Chicken with Cheese and broccoli.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #465
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rbenz
WOE: Trying to resist anything white.
Yum!

I had Ribs & a salad.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #466
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Hamburger with wild rice......
Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #467
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
I bought organic greens, zucchini and a tomato for salad tonight, and a pork chop...nothing very creative to help you lol.
very nice !

Quote:
Mine was bought from the freezer section. Chicken with Cheese and broccoli.
I have never bought freezer foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbenz View Post
Yum!

I had Ribs & a salad.
just put ribs in the crock to cook over nite..oh ya..all ready seasoned from costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Hamburger with wild rice......
wild rice..do you make your own or ? I have rice cooker but haven't seen a good recipe for wild rice..or Chinese rice..or Spanish ,,,,,

I love rice
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #468
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Went to see "Now You See Me" tonight since it's cheap night and we were given free popcorn. :P Great movie, but the last 10 mins it was like they stopped writing and trying and...disappointing.

Can't wait to see the scale tomorrow! lol... I made room for my popcorn in my day though, so we'll see.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #469
Deb

forgot to say
the stuffed chicken looked better than it tasted

all well

tomorrow im going to do the outside of the chicken with mayo to try and keep it moist

and more stuffings

nite
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #470
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Went to see "Now You See Me"
fun !!

gosh I love popcorn

nite
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #471
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
forgot to say
the stuffed chicken looked better than it tasted

all well

tomorrow im going to do the outside of the chicken with mayo to try and keep it moist

and more stuffings

nite
Amazing how often it looks better Hope today's attempt works out well. I am usually disappointed when I try the chicken salad or turkey salad at restaurants...never taste as good as the pictures look

I think taco salad is supper tonight. Bought deli turkey and cheese sticks for lunch. (Just have to forego the Girl Scout cookies in my desk)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #472
Deb

Good morning all

its hump day

and yoga day

Karen step away from the cookies
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grandma Jo
Stats: 258.5/188/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 29 Aug 2011
Deb mayo and then parm, the mayo will keep it moist. Spinach will work better for this recipe. Sometimes Chard can be a bit bitter. I would cook itfor you but I am to far away Karen we are having taco salad as well , that kinda funny! Now I agree with Deb step away from the cookies. Avy and the popcorn it is my main LC downfall in life but we all need a little popcorn now and then. Cheryl thats easy to make, but I guess its faster from the freezer Also one of my DH favortives. Hi to all of you, sorry I havent been around much. I have been dealing with family issues and sometimes they just get to me and I dont feel like talking. Anyway I do believe I am getting over the flunk and I didnt stress eat which would of been my normal and I did walk or do zumba every day. I think I am learning to deal with stress in a non food way and thats very important to me at the end of the day. Sounds like you guys have been doing good!! And even if I dont post I do read everyday, your all a great bunch. Lesson learnt, don't let mean people bring you down!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #474
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rbenz
WOE: Trying to resist anything white.
Quote:
Good morning all

its hump day

and yoga day

Karen step away from the cookies
Ditto on above!
Hope the mayo keeps the chicken more moist.

Hope Funky isn't catching...Deb...now GJo...

GJo~Hear ya on the mean peeps!

Avy~Was your scale kind after the Free Popcorn?

Scale still my friend. Hmm...haven't tried crock ribs.
Still have ribs here. Will finish them off today & then tomorrow...will make Mex stew & taco salad.
Off to Yoga!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #475
Deb

Yes Jo mayo.....

I should have asked everyone opinion first hey

Pat the chard was not bitter at all

as for crock-pot ribs ...they turn out so tender its amazing
I will cook them for the day on low and then pull them out**** be careful ****..put them on a cookie sheet and brown them in the oven
the ones I buy are already spiced from costco
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not in a funk.
Jo.
Deb

DH is home with a cold. My DN that lives with us brought it home to us. Hope I don't get it. I've been keeping close track on my weight and it seems to be goi g back down. So maybe it was just an adjustment period.

Sunny and hot.

We smoke our ribs and the toss them in the crock. Soooo tender.

I did a clean sweep of mean toxic people -including a couple family members-in my life about 4 years ago. We even moved out of town. My FB is closed except to invited friends. I feel much better. It was hard to do but necessary.

Karen did you stay away from the cookies? Crops in? We finally dried out enough.

Jo good for you on not stress eating!!

Pat good on the scale

Avy I'm not familiar with that movie. I always fall asleep in the theater. We use to always buy the big tub of popcorn and then I would use it as a footrest cuz my feet don't reach the ground in the chairs.

Deb let us know if it comes out better

Taco salad seems to be going around
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #477
Deb

Quote:
Taco salad seems to be going around

Cheryl don't you go getting that cold

I have to go hang cleaned curtains on the 12th floor in a suite and the L/B isn't here to hold my ladder

wish me luck....its a lonnnnnnggggggg way down
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Luck!! Good kind!!!

Remember I fell off mine and ended up in the ER. Can't have that happen to you!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #479
Deb

Quote:
Luck!! Good kind!!!

Remember I fell off mine and ended up in the ER. Can't have that happen to you!
no it cant happen to me for sure

and yes I do remember Cheryl..lucky you didn't break your neck

2 done and 2 to go

good workout for the shoulders let me tell ya

Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #480
Deb

I am safe

still sometimes the height of the building gives me the heebee jeebee'z
Closed Thread