Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Main Lobby Low Carbers Unite!

Lol. I'm funneh

This is a new support group thread for people who post in the main lc lobby often. Some of us just needed a new home where we can all talk about our struggles and successes, the day to day grind of LC, and just have some comradery.

Everyone is welcome no matter where you are on your journey.

Let's get to it!
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Cool MsWoods. I'm checking in. I hope we get a strong group going.

A little about me. I've been doing lc for 10 years! Found out 3 years ago I have type 2 diabetes (seems unfair when I was already lc!) so have dropped carb levels even more to try to keep bgs in line. I am in maintenance weight wise but have to watch or I will rapidly put on a few pounds. I'm 60. I'm a nurse. I have the best DH in the world. I have 3 grown kids and 3 adorable grandaughters. I'm a dedicated walker but that's about the only exercise I do. Enough about me!

Can't wait to get to meet everyone. This month my hardest challenge is the strawberries are available at all the roadside stands and they are fantastic! Trying to stick to one serving a day but it is not easy. They will all be gone in another couple of weeks and I'll get my carb levels back down where they need to be.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HellInYourEyes
Stats: 165.6/165.6/100
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 10/28/2013
Hiya! I hope you don't mind me poking my nose in?
HellInYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Great idea Michelle! Looking forward to hearing more about everyone.

Me - struggled with weight for as long as I can remember, and have probably tried every "diet" at some point or another. LC was my last attempt, and that didn't even help. Had gastric bypass surgery at the end of December 2012, and now down 73 pounds. It's been amazing and I have another 30-40 to go.

I'm 36, married, and have two little ones aged 3 and 5. And two dogs. I work full time in finance/communications. And am finally starting to be happy with myself.

Success is my only option
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome Melissa

A little about me. I'm coming up on my 4 year lowcarbaversary on June 22nd. I was over 400lbs when I started and sometimes it's a struggle. Last year I was down to 204. Life got really stressful and I just got off track for a while. I was back up to 263 I think, and as of this morning am back down to 245.9. So I'm working on it.

I normally do well unless I get into the alcohol. I do have a problem with alcohol. When I drink it's hard to stop, so as for now, I'm abstaining totally. I have a bigger goal in mind. I'm trying to get back down to 204 and I'm going to get another tattoo. I have been putting $1 in a jar every day I'm alcohol free, and $1 every time I work out, going towards my tattoo.

I love to do Body Combat at the gym, so that's my primary means of working out. It's been hard to get back into it because it is so physically demanding, but I'm doing my darndest.

I'm also a daily weigher, I do better when I do.

I'm 28, have a bf of 11 years, and a 7 year old pit bull pooch named Tiger. No kids yet. We have been talking a bit about getting married but nothing in the near future. It's really not that important to us, especially after 11 years lol. But it is something we do want to do.

Anyhoo, that's a bit about me.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome Greer! I'm so happy to see familiar faces.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I'm checking in so I'll know where we are posting, lol, don't want to get lost.

I've been eating low carb forever it seems, have lost about 65 pounds total and basically maintaining for the past 6-7 years. I gain 5 lbs. here and there but can feel it so get back on track to get it off. Don't know why I can get off the 5 I put on but can't get myself to continue to lose that extra 5-10 I mentioned in my first post on the main board. Motivation, I guess. I feel comfortable, I'm happy with where I am but am thinking of a number I want to see on the scale but it's elusive!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/225/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
Well...... if you dont mind I might try this. I have done no good with challenges...but a support group might make it. I am having a HUGH problem getting started this time. Have gained most of what I lost back. Maybe around 5 or 6 lb to the good.... but that is just a shame.
I have been around forever also...I know it works... I just lose sight of goal .... I guess. No excuses. 60 years old.... and feeling every minute of it. But gearing up for another go at it.
Vicki
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thank you Michelle for starting this group! It is nice to have some familiar faces and new!

My story is I am a 'retired' stay at home mom who never got back to work (information tech.) and am now 57. I have 4 grown children and 2 granddaughters. My youngest is currently living with me. I have 1 little dog (recently lost my senior girl).

I have been on this forum since I started Atkins in Feb. 2000 and it was called Atkinsfriends. I was quite successful losing 55lbs. and maintaining for a couple of yrs. when I jumped off the wagon, gained 100lbs. and fought for yrs. to get back aboard. Finally made it in Oct. 2009 and am coming up to my 4yrs. anniversary. I lost 55 lbs. in 1 yr. and stalled out until very recently. At least, I am hoping!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vicki - I'm 60+ myself, it's just harder for us "old folk"!

Since we're in the same boat, this should be fun.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
I am in too. I was just thinking last night that maybe I should start a blog to have somewhere to keep track, but this is better.

Been low carbing on and off for years. Have been flirting with other things lately, mostly veganism, becasue my mom is and she is really into it and doing well. But I tried it and I hated it. I felt miserable and kept thinking about low carb. So I just gave that up and am back on low carb. This is always the thing that has worked best for me so I am back. I am happy for my mom and she thrives on that kind of WOL but I just can't do it. I am going to work on getting in more veggies though.

I am 40 years old, married, have a 4 year old son and am a cop. I work crazy long hours and have massive stress and eating bad food is basically a way of life since I am always on the go. But I have been letting myself go a little lately and have got off track between that and the vegan thing.

So my main goals are to lose weight, I would like to get down to 130. I am 186 right now. And to start working out at least 5 days a week, even if it is only for 20 mins, but something.

So glad to be here. And sometimes, depending on my shifts, I might be MIA for a few days, but I will try and be dilligent about checking in.

Yeah for all of us!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad to see all you guys here
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I am 65 yrs old, have 2 kids and 4 grandkids; I started Atkins in 2001 at age 52 with menopause that year at 376 lbs. Switched to more moderate low carb in 2003 that offered more variety and color. I am committed to not eaing sugar, grains and alcohol. I try to stay away from foods that make me sick like avocados and sugar free products.

I got sidetracked in 2011, got back into the sugar and garin poisons, gaining 32 lbs in 7 weeks. It made me so sick I don't ever want to detox again. I am at maintenance and enjoy a support group setting so am looking forward to this thread.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I'm coming back....just marking my spot.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Sweetpoison - I love your WOE "by any means necessary!

I'm so glad to see a group already forming here and glad there are a few of us 60+. I was afraid I would be the only one but age doesn't matter when it comes to seeking health.

So Hello everybody! And thanks again for starting this thread MsWoods.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Looking forward to this group!
I started low carb almost 4 years ago....very strict atkins. I started at 165, after a few months I dropped down to 137 but if I lost more then my already purchased and altered wedding dress would be way too big. So this is when I learned to "juggle", gain 5 lose 5.... I did this for about a year but I always felt like crap so I fell completely off the wagon. I am a binger huge so 1 little cheat would turn into me stuffing my face for hours on end. I got back up to my original 165 and decided I would do this again but I was determined to find a way so that I could make this last for ever. I refused to track food, I dont weigh food, I don't count veggie carbs and I eat fruit in moderation. With all these changes I have been able to stick to it 98% of the time. My weight loss is slow but I can accept that.
Also, I never let my body get physically healthy so this time around I am a wanna-be runner and love it. I still suck at it but I feel fantastic doing it and its much more then the old me would do!

I am 34, been with my sweety for 16 years (married for nearly 4). We have 2 daughters, 5 and 8. We have 2 english bulldogs, a handful of leopard geckos, a ball python and a blue tongue skink.
I love to educate anyone who will listen, about my low carb choices.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Hi Everyone! I think this is a great idea and am looking forward to getting to know everyone, and having a place to "check in"!

I'm 51, live in Indiana, have 2 grown wonderful kids and an awesome man I currently share a home and live with! I started on the low carb WOE last June - so almost a year now! - and so far have lost 42 lbs.

I've struggled with weight my whole life, constantly up and down, on a diet/off a diet. And now that I have found this WOE, I finally feel like I can keep off the weight and stay off the roller coaster!

I'm within a few pounds of goal (unless I lower it again, lol) But for the last month or 2 have not really lost much more. So I guess right now I'm evaluating whether to keep going as I am, or change things up to lose those last few pounds quicker.

Excited to hear everyone's story!

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marybeth67
Stats: 235-238-150
WOE: low-carb
Start Date: re-start again........
Marking my spot as well! I'll be back
marybeth67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Hello! I am in my 5th month of this WOE and I am trying to stay with induction level foods. I had 60 lbs. to lose and I still have 18 to go. I am married with two boys and my hubby has been in Afghanistan for almost a year. He finally gets home on 15 June! I can't wait! His being gone was part of the motivation for me doing this and sticking with it. I have been struggling with my weight since I had my first child at the age of 27 and I've been successful with Atkins in the past. However, I always treated it as a diet and would gain the weight right back. This time I'm going about it differently and I'm making lifestyle adjustments to support it. I am finding it much harder this time now that I'm 40! I look forward to reading everyone's posts. I get great inspiration from everyone in this forum and I love hearing about everyone's successes. I also learn so much from the struggles of others. Have a great night everyone!

When you think about quitting, stop and remember why you started!!!

If you wanna fly, you have to give up that crap that weighs you down!

2013 Weight
1/1: 220, 2/1: 202, 3/1: 196, 4/1: 188, 5/1: 180, 6/1: 175, 7/1: 171, 8/1: 173, 9/1: 173, 10/1: 180, 11/1: 185, 12/1: 182
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Hello everyone! Good to see you all here. I am 43 years old, live in the midwest but from the east coast, mom to a 10 year old boy. I have been eating LC since November when DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I myself have PCOS and insulin resistance. Highest weight was 327. I have been fat my whole life, I even went to fat camp one summer as a kid. It was fun, but I only lost 10 lbs. (though it was only 4 weeks long, so I think I did pretty good, but it didn't feel that way back then). I have tried many diets, including the very low fat craze in the early 90's. Then I gave up dietining for the most part a number of years ago. Now I realize this is a lifestyle change and I am planning on eating LC regardless of what the scale says. Just went to the doctor yesterday and it seems my blood pressure is a bit higher than she would like so I have to see an internal med doc about that in a couple of weeks. Any tips on naturally lowering bp are welcomed! I know I need to start exercising. That's next on my list. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/239.4/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
Hi all,

I am glad that Michelle started this thread and has given those of us who have been homeless (not connected to a long standing thread) a home to come to. The support is so important for us to be successful.

I am a 51 year old, mom of two and grandma of one lovely little baby. I have low carbed on and off for 10 years. The first time in 2003-2004, I reached goal and maintained it for two years until we were displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Long story short, I gained it all back. In 2008, I started once again and was being very successful until my husband lost his job and got another job which brought home to New Orleans. New job, new stress, I lost control and gained it back. Last summer, after the grandbaby was born, I had gotten back on track and was losing well. Well once again, a new job and more stress led me to losing control once again and gained it back.

Two weeks ago, I discovered that due to the lifting associated with the new job led to the development of a hernia. Had I been in better shape and not this heavy, I would not have had too much stress on my back muscles which caused me use my stomach muscles too much.

SO here I go again, I am tired of being fat.
I am tired of not being able to breathe (my heaviness affects my asthma).
I am tired of my clothes not fitting.
I am tired of being tired.

So onward and downward I go! Looking forward to the support!

PS: I eat LCHF and I am a daily weigher.

http://lowcarbmediterraneanjourney.blogspot.com/

Start weight: 261.8
Goal #1: 251.8 (-10 lbs.) met 1/21/2014
Goal #2: 241.8 (-10 lbs.) met 2/19/2014
Goal #3: 231.8 (-10 lbs.)

Last edited by mcchimento; 05-24-2013 at 06:02 PM..
mcchimento is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/225/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Vicki - I'm 60+ myself, it's just harder for us "old folk"!

Since we're in the same boat, this should be fun.
Nice to see another "seasoned" friend around I am headed out to make a " meat run" as I call it...tomorrow. I purchase our beef/pork from a place about 50 miles from here. All grass fed and finished beef.... pork pasture raised. I guess this is a good time to get off to a new start with my way of eating.

Last edited by sweetpoison; 05-24-2013 at 06:41 PM..
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Well, hubby wanted to go out to dinner tonight and of course, he picks Olive Garden. But I have to say, I did well. I had the Mixed Grill, which is chicken and steak with peppers and onions, grilled on a skewer with herbs and olive oil. It came with potatoes, but I subbed all broccoli and got a small ramekin of alfredo sauce to dip the broccoli in. I had a small salad with about 2 tbsp of ranch dressing and water to drink.

The whole dinner with salad and sauces came out to 944 cals and 32 carbs, with 6 grams fiber - so 26 net carbs. I went ahead and counted the whole thing, even though I didn't eat all of it, just to be safe.

Went over my cals and carbs for the day, but didn't do too bad, as it could have been way way worse if I didn't make myself stay the course. Ended up with 1753 calories and 36 net carbs for the day. And that should do it for me, as I doubt I will need a snack tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen - good for you subbing the broccoli in place of potato or pasta - congrats! The mixed grill sounds good, I've never tried it. The hardest thing for me at Olive Garden is the garlic bread sticks - I try to ignore them but sometimes one finds its way into my mouth!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job Jen! I just love their salad.

I'm so glad to see everyone! And happy you all wanted a thread as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I am lucky, I dont really like the breadsticks and could take em or leave em, but the pasta and the appetizers are always what gets me. I just told myself it wasn't worth how I would feel later if I ate them. I had never had the mixed grill either, but it was really good. The broccoli was cooked perfect and the little bit of alfredo I got to dip it in helped me feel like I was eating pasta
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
Stopping in to say hi. I'm ready to be accountable! I lost 92 lbs 5 years ago, I kept it off for a year, and then gained it all back. Every day I wake up and say I'm going to start, one day it might be weight watchers, the next low carb. I never commit to either and before the days end, I'm filling my face with crap. It's time for me to get off the rollercoaster and choose one way of eating and stick with it. I am ready to commit to low carb, and happy to join this support group!

260 highest weight/155 current weight/135 goal weight
5' 6"
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
Hi, all! I'm glad. Followed all of you to the new thread... Like some others that I see here, I've been low carbing for more than 10 years .... More like 13... Now it's not for weight loss but because I feel good when I eat clean / low carb. I also have some prior eating disorder issues and carbs trigger binges. I'm in my early 50's and it has gotten harder to maintain my long time "fighting weight" - seem to need to watch fat and/or calories too. Just wanted to say hi and will look forward to "talking" with all of you.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello Everyone-

I am in need of a home spot too.

I am 62, have a retired hubby and a grown daughter who has 3 kids. My youngest grandchild graduated from HS tonight. I'm so proud of her.

I gained much of my weight after my son died in '99. I was already heavy, but put on another 75 pounds in the next year and just was too depressed to care. In 2003-2004 I found low carb and lost 60 pounds. I have gained half of that back and am determined too make some healthy changes.

I tend too be a slow loser so I need a support group to keep me on track. I am a pastor and find that I listen to everyone else's problems, but have no where to air my own frustrations. I won't preach at you, I promise.

Got back to strict low carb last Sunday so am very grateful to find a HOME thread to help me on my way.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rjkdsmith
Stats: 174/170/145
Start Date: 5-15-13
I'm brand new (first post)and think I lucked out in finding this group. I'm 61, T2 diabetic and though testing blood sugar can be a pain it sure shows how eating low carb can keep my numbers where they should be. I've got a lot to learn and am excited about finding you guys.
rjkdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote