Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #151
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Came home from my workout, had dinner, relaxed for a while, had a shower and checked my ketones...finally back in ketosis after my vacation from common sense for most of May. Reinforces my decision not to eat the carbage at work today and eat my cheese, pepperoni, and fat bomb.

Bed soon to face another crazy, stress filled deadline ridden day tomorrow!
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I dont see ketones on the stix anymore and Im too miserly to buy the blood meter. I just guess I am in ketosis when I lose my hunger and I lose weight.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Yesterday was good. Had a couple times the old sugar demon was after me . But I did ward them off with with a better choice.

Have to go and buy a new blender, mine burned up yesterday. Can't complain it was 10 years old

Have a great day eveyone
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Morning all! Beautiful day here today. A bit annoyed because the scale was up a bit this morning, and I was so good yesterday. But I think I'm going to attribute it to the fact that humidity is up, and my joints were rather stiff and sore from storms that are moving in. Hopefully that's what it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Alice - I saw your post in the recipes help thread and thought it sounded really good. I have a question though, I've heard about chia seeds but have not used them (don't even have any, actually). What do they add to the muffin recipe? Are they anything like poppy seeds? I love lemon poppy seed muffins so am wondering what the difference would be using chia.
Tweaker - Actually they taste a lot like poppy seeds, even better in my opinion. But the reason to use chia is for all the health properties they have. I'm going to copy/paste this info from a site I found, so sorry it's a bit long, but I thought it was great info!

Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Chia seeds are rich in polyunsaturated fats, especially omega-3 fatty acids. Chia seeds' lipid profile is composed of 60 percent omega-3s, making them one of the richest plant-based sources of these fatty acids -- specifically, of alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA. The omega-3s in chia seeds can help reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high cholesterol.

Fiber
Fiber is associated with reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol and regulating bowel function. Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber, with a whopping 10 grams in only 2 tablespoons. That is one-third of the daily recommended intake of fiber per day.

Antioxidants
Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals, aging and cancer. The high antioxidant profile also helps them have a long shelf life. They last almost two years without refrigeration.

Minerals
Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 18 percent of the DRI for calcium, 35 percent for phosphorus, 24 percent for magnesium and about 50 percent for manganese. These nutrients help you prevent hypertension and maintain a healthy weight, and are important for energy metabolism and a part of DNA synthesis.

Satiety
Satiety is the feeling of being full and satisfied, which helps lower food cravings between meals. The combination of protein, fiber and the gelling action of chia seeds when mixed with liquids all contribute to their satiating effects.

Gluten-Free
Chia seeds contain no gluten or grains. Therefore, all of the nutritional benefits of chia seeds can be obtained on a gluten-free diet.

Egg Replacer
The outer layer of chia seeds swells when mixed with liquids to form a gel. This can used in place of eggs to lower cholesterol and increase the nutrient content of foods and baked goods. To make the egg replacement, mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and let sit for 15 minutes.

Can Be Digested Whole
Unlike flaxseeds, which are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and minerals, chia seeds do not need to be ground in order to obtain their nutrient or egg- replacement benefits.

Dyslipidemia
A study published in the "British Journal of Nutrition" showed that chia seeds as a dietary fat source can lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels while increasing HDL or "good" cholesterol. The study also found that when substituting chia seeds for other fat sources, such as corn oil, the ALA was able to prevent high triglyceride levels and reduce central obesity.

Blood Sugar Regulation
Chia seeds can play an important role in regulating insulin levels. They can reduce insulin resistance and decrease abnormally high levels of insulin in the blood.

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Good morning

My day is going good, no hunger yet but I never cared for breakfast. Ms Woods, I wish I had gotten a link to your pinterest before it was taken away. I ordered some of the shirtaki noodles with oat bran and they are good, better than the regular.

Hope everyone has a good day!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #156
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
Good morning

My day is going good, no hunger yet but I never cared for breakfast. Ms Woods, I wish I had gotten a link to your pinterest before it was taken away. I ordered some of the shirtaki noodles with oat bran and they are good, better than the regular.

Hope everyone has a good day!
I think if you just type in Michelle Hoard (my name) it will come up. I'm not super familiar with pinterest.

I'm about to go make me an apple pie protein shake and I'll post more when I get back (work kitchen lol). I've had a rough week, and really rough morning, but I'm trying to keep on track with my food.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I think if you just type in Michelle Hoard (my name) it will come up. I'm not super familiar with pinterest.

I'm about to go make me an apple pie protein shake and I'll post more when I get back (work kitchen lol). I've had a rough week, and really rough morning, but I'm trying to keep on track with my food.
Thank you, I'll give that a try! Hope you day gets better
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
It sounds like everyone is doing well on their eating plans. I love that!! After my sleepness night, I had a glorious night's rest last night. I feel like a new person. Even though my foot is still hurting, and my BS is up from the steroids, I still managed to lose this morning. I was 211.7 this AM. I am so happy!! I gave my teenagers a big ole hug this morning, and she said I felt skinny!! She made my day. I told her I don't think I've been this weight since she was about 2 years old. Yay me!!

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #159
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Thank you, I'll give that a try! Hope you day gets better
Thanks so much.

Last edited by MsWoods; 05-30-2013 at 10:01 AM..
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Although I have been doing it, it has been difficult to keep on plan since last weekend's indulgences of a few more calories and carbs than I usually consume. Going out to eat more than once or twice a week really pushes the limits for me. As a result I have had a bit of the late night munchies and am trying to curb that habit as I just do not want to start snacking again.

Alice- Thanks for the recipe and the great info on the chia seeds. Where do you get your chia seeds?

Mistizoom- Congrats on your great blood work results. If you want some great info on all things thyroid go to about.com and search the thyroid forum.

Kimlou- God job with battling the sugar cravings with a better choice. It really is about making better choices each day.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
It sounds like everyone is doing well on their eating plans. I love that!! After my sleepness night, I had a glorious night's rest last night. I feel like a new person. Even though my foot is still hurting, and my BS is up from the steroids, I still managed to lose this morning. I was 211.7 this AM. I am so happy!! I gave my teenagers a big ole hug this morning, and she said I felt skinny!! She made my day. I told her I don't think I've been this weight since she was about 2 years old. Yay me!!
Congrats to you Cfine !!! It's so nice and uplifting when the scale greets you in the morning with a lower number than the day before !!!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

I'm doing really well this week -have dismissed 4 pounds !!! But still not back to my siggy weight. I will be if I can continue keeping the carbs and calories low. It's the only way that works for me.

Alice - thanks for all the info on the Chia seeds! I just started using them a couple of weeks ago. I love them! I add them to my protein shake every day and also make a chia pudding by mixing the seeds with almond milk and adding some sweetner.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
Alice- Thanks for the recipe and the great info on the chia seeds. Where do you get your chia seeds?
I have bought mine just at my local Kroger, in the health food section. But if your local stores don't carry them you can also get it on netrition.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Been doing yard work in the mornings for a couple of hours. I sure am beat. No weight loss this week, I'm putting that off on the extra exercise. It makes me feel so much better mentally when I get out and move more.

I have also been interested in the chia seeds. Saw a blurb about it on one of the news shows this morning. They called it lap -band surgery in a bag. I will have to try them. I need to force myself to get in the habit of using miracle noodles too. Anything to help lighten the calorie load.

cfine- hope that foot heals fast. Congrats on the loss.

Garden- wow 4 pounds in a week is huge. It takes me 4-6 weeks to lose that much.

I'm thinking a bunless burger and some California blend veggies for supper. What are you having?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Up on scale this morning despite awesomely good behaviour, so I sympathise with you Astribling.

Ah well, its water, or I need the toilet or, or, or, all those other things we tell ourselves to feel better about it.

Heres to a loser weekend, it's FRIDAY in NZ!
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great attitude illbeetle. When I started drinking a gallon of water per day, half of that with fresh squeezed lemon, I quit holding on to water weight, I really think it helps to flush out the fat too. Now I feel weird when I don't drink that much.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Alice - thank you so much for the chia seed information, I've copied it for future reference. I think I will pick some up next time I'm at the health food store. Being able to use them as an egg replacement is very interesting. Have you done that?

Cfine - Congratulations to you! Don't you love it when someone says the word skinny when talking about you - sounds like a nice daughter to me!

Susan - 4lbs! that's Great! Congrats.

Stay strong everyone!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #168
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I read a booklet on chia seeds and historically, the chia seed comes from the Mexican sage plant. It is healthy and versatile and a great addition to any meal, but please only in moderation. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. I have found them in Trader Joes and anyplace that sells Bob's Red Mill. He sells it by the pound at a reasonable price. A little goes a long way.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #169
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Good evening! Just got back from the gym, yoga class. Was really good, but didn't really break a sweat. I'm fat, I should! I see there was a conversation about exercise. I've recently (since May6th I think) rejoined a gym, doing weight training Mon-Wed-Fri and yoga Thurs-Sat-Sun, 3 classes 3 different teachers, so they are all really different.

I can't be that "I" am hitting the gym 6 times a week! I'm the laziest person I know, all my life! lol. Also starting with a personal trainer one day a week for 6 weeks starting June 5th. If I can do it, anyone can. I have to say too, I already feel my boy changing, getting harder under the squishy fat, and feeling stronger and more flexible. It's kinda awesome and worth the $40 a month, since I would never work out without the gym at home.

Keeping my calories between 1400-1600 a day and under 20 net carbs a day, and still the scale hasn't gone down since Monday, and actually it's creeping up .2 a day lol. Oh well, I'm improving my health, eventually the scale has to keep moving down. (please!)

Anyway, work and deadlines still suck! But at least tomorrow is the end of one, then I have a weekend, yay! Feeling pretty positive otherwise tonight lol. Just thought I'd share.

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Avy, try not to get discouraged. My weight loss really slowed down for about three months when I started exercising and building muscle. I just kept telling myself that I would be better off in the long term. Sure enough, my weight loss is now better than ever because I have built those muscles up and they are burning away the fat.

Tweaked, I have the best DD. and me and skinny have never really went together in the same sentence. Lol!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
Have had a bad week, good with staying in control of the food, just LOTS of stress!! Between kids ball games, bills and no baby sitter, it's been a little rough.

On the positive side, I won the weight loss challenge at work!!!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Had my first chia pudding last night. 1 cup choc almond breeze, sweetener, and 3 TB chia seeds mixed up and put in the refridge with occasional stirring for 24 hours. I put a scoop of whipped cream on top. It was good but not so good that I would overdo it. Weight up a pound this morning so it may be sitting in my system lol.

Called in to work on my day off and my car is in the shop so I will be racing around to take DH to work and share the car for the day. No time for exercise and my work is not air conditioned and it is going to be 95 and very humid today ugg. At least that extra pound will surely be gone by tonight!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Chia pudding sounds good, I'm going to make some. 95 jeez, that's a scorcher, be safe!

Gibbs and cfine, hope you are feeling better.

I had a good weigh-in this morning. I am back down to my posted cw of 212 after a 6 to 8 week derail. So maybe it will be downhill now. :jumpjo

Today will be busy for me too, lots of errands to run. I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Morning All! It's Friday, hurray!! Not sure what the weekend brings but I'm looking forward to some relaxation. The scale was back down today from yesterday, so it was just the water in my sore muscles!

We ordered a food dehydrator this week and I tried it for the first time yesterday. My first project was zucchini chips, and they came out great! Now when I get that salty crunchy craving they are just the ticket. I want to try some kale as well. I have done kale chips in the oven, but I think in the dehydrator they will be even crispier.

Tweaker - I have not tried the egg replacement. I don't have a problem with eggs and use egg beaters at times, so I doubt I will bother with that.

Shunsweets - using the chocolate almond milk sounds good. I will have to try that. So far I have only done the vanilla, with some vanilla extract. To me it tastes just like a crunchy tapioca - which I love!

Gibbs - congrats on winning your challenge!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Alice, what kind of dehydrator did you buy, I want one too.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Astribling - I'm going to try the vanilla next. I used to love tapioca so that sounds great. Adding extra vanilla is a good idea as the chia seems to absorb some of the flavor. I think next time I make chocolate I will stir in a touch of cocoa.

I'm at work and sweating and tired already. The good news is I will surely lose whatever water weight I am carrying lol.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Alice, what kind of dehydrator did you buy, I want one too.
I got the Nesco FD-80. I liked it because it was square instead of round - easier to store that way. And it was kind of a mid range priced one. I've only used it once so far but loving it! I am going to get some extra trays for it though, so I can do more stuff at one time.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling View Post
I got the Nesco FD-80. I liked it because it was square instead of round - easier to store that way. And it was kind of a mid range priced one. I've only used it once so far but loving it! I am going to get some extra trays for it though, so I can do more stuff at one time.
Looks good and about what I'd want too, good reviews! Thank you!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all ! Hope everyone is enjoying their day and the weekend to come !!!

Last night I made baked Rock fish fillets (striped bass) covered in salsa and a little cheese. Salad on the side. Tonight it will be Chicken tenderloins baked with spinach/onions and a little alfredo sauce and probably a salad.

I have been so good lately - it's scary ! Weighed myself in the middle of the day - and it was 152! But it will probably be 153 tomorrow morning. I don't want to re-gain the same weight over and over again. I hope to continue this way through the weekend and next week. If I can, maybe I will have finally gotten back into the groove.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Woo Hoo I was down a pound this morning. Scattered showers here today so am doing a home blessing (house cleaning) today instead of working outside.

I am doing well food wise. It is starting to be automatic, selecting low carb meal plans... lets hope it stays that way. I have not been tracking my food. I need to start doing that. One step at a time.

hope to pick up some chia seeds this weekend.

I'm interested in seeing how you all do with the dehydrator. I have thought about getting one, but am afraid it will just sit in the corner unused (I do that sometimes).
halos is offline   Reply With Quote