Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
More planting this week. It's finally warm enough so I got in our tomatoes, and beans, corn, zucchini, cucs, etc. Can't wait until they are ready!

I've also been trying more eggplant recipes. I made some eggplant lasagne and it was Oh so good! I just substituted eggplant slices for the noodles. Yummy!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #662
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I've made eggplant lasagne as well as zucchini lasagne, both are great. We finally had a warm day, maybe things are going to turn for us finally.

Good for you getting more planting done, Alice. Wish we lived closer, I'd raid your garden!
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #663
Senior LCF Member

I finally this week picked some radishes and some spinach from our early planting. I can't wait until everything else is ready!! Last year our zucchini did horribly. I hope it's better this year! I am so ready for all those yummy veggies!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #664
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm jealous! The first planting of radishes is always the best to me. I love them when they have a real strong flavor and a little "bite" to them!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #665
Senior LCF Member

My weight has been up a couple of pounds the last 2 weeks or so. I think it's partly due to water from working in the garden and humidity, but partly due to the extra wine I've been drinking

I'm still under my warning level but it still ticks me off! So I think it's time to cut back for a bit before it gets totally out of control.

Our garden is coming along nicely and I can't wait to start harvesting. I did put in a coupe of eggplant plants this week. I have never tried growing it before so I hope it does well.

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #666
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry to hear you're up a couple, Alice, but you are smart to keep a close check on that, giving ourselves that 5-6 lb. cushion and getting right back on track when going astray is what will keep us successful in the long run.

I'm doing ok, losing again instead of gaining and being faithful to plan.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Yay for you! Keep up the good work, stay on plan, and you will get there!

It's a bit frustrating that we have to watch this so closely all the time. But I've pretty much accepted the fact that this is and will be a life long struggle. At least now I feel like I have it under control!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #668
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You have a great weekend too, Alice!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #669
Senior LCF Member

Not much to report here. Just same ol, same ol.
And I'm thinking this thread is basically dead

Tweaker, you don't have to continue to check in for just me. Especially since I never have anything exciting to say

Maybe I should find a good maintenance group to join!!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm the same as you, Alice, same old, same old, I'm not too exciting either! We stuck it out longer than the others though so good for us! Hopefully we'll still "see" each other here and there. Best of luck with your maintenance. I'm losing slowly - .1, .2 here and there, but maintaining each small loss.

I'll still look for this thread from time to time though, let me know how your summer goes and how your garden grows!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 05-30-2014 at 07:54 PM..
Old 06-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #671
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Alice - are you still around? Everything is going along smoothly for me. I noticed that our thread is getting close to page 2 so thought I'd post so we don't get lost.

Happy Summer! It's always a busy time of year, hope you get a chance to pop in occasionally.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Hi! I'm still here. I still check the boards a few times a week to see what's going on! Still the same old stuff here. Trying to keep my weight in my "maintenance zone"! And now that's it summer a lot of my time is spent with the garden. Finally getting to harvest some things, but I'm still waiting on my favorite - tomatoes!

Have a great summer!

Oh and in 4 days it will be my 2 year lowcarb-versary!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #673
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
May I jump in?
Vegetables.....yes!
Love seeing someone who is eating all of them like me. You are so lucky to be able to grow them....
I stopped at my local farmer the other day and bought the best little yellow squash I think I've ever had. The tomatoes that actually smelled and tasted like tomatoes, some small red onions, green beans and the perfect size baby bell peppers.
Yum!
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #674
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Alice - congrats on 2 years! The month of June makes 12 years that I've been here. Mostly maintaining with a few induction necessities from time to time.

I know what you mean, fresh garden veggies are the best! I stopped at a Farmer's Market about a week ago and got some nice fresh chard, it was really good. I can't wait for the tomatoes and cukes, love them!

Meme - Jump right in! Nice to see you. I know what you mean about the fresh tomatoes, you just can't beat them. Most of those at the grocery have no smell and no taste, which is why I very seldom buy large tomatoes. Every once in awhile in the summer they have some good ones but that's about it. I do have pretty good luck with buying the small grape tomatoes though. Oh!, and green beans -- I love, love, love those fresh green beans, can eat them every day!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #675
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Two yeas is amazing Alice
and Tweaker, 12 years is awesome. I wanna be you!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #676
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Meme! Nice to see another face in here!!

And, yes, I love my vegetables. Really the only ones I don't eat are the higher starch ones. I love fresh corn on the cob, but I limit myself to one or two of those a season, when we pick ours. But zucchini, and cucs, tomatoes, greenbeans, spinach, YUM. I would so miss our garden if we couldn't have one.

And Tweaker, 12 years is awesome!! Congrats!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #677
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, ladies. Low carb is definitely my WOL. As I've said, I do stray from time to time but the foods we eat on low carb are the foods I like the most.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Happy Anniversary to me today!!

Sadly, I'm struggling this week again with my weight creeping up a couple of pounds. I have not eaten anything off plan, and my calories have been good. But I have been baking things like low-carb zucchini bread, and cookies. And I think too much of that is maybe causing some bloating. So time to tighten the reins again and get this under control.

I did make some yummy zucchini chips yesterday with my dehydrator, and those are awesome!!

Hope everyone is having a good week!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #679
Senior LCF Member

How is everyone doing? Same stuff here. Maintaining, gardening. I'll be picking green beans today! Yum. And we have some tomatoes that are almost ready to pick!! Can't wait.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July!!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Alice,
I went back to my farmer friend the other day and picked up more little red onions to make Lo-carb broccoli salad, the one with tons of bacon and mayo. I thought that I couldn't make that anymore because the real recipe required 1/2 cup sugar but someone on another thread reminded me to use stevia.
I also picked up two small eggplant and I would love the lasagna recipe mention before. I love that he picks when the veggies are small and haven't gone to seed yet.
Small cucumbers that I am marinating with oil and vinegar, dill weed and celery seed to eat with a big steak. yummy... I love this diet
Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #681
Senior LCF Member

That all sounds yummy! I have not made the broccoli salad, but I made one with cauliflower and cucumbers that was similar. Yummy!!

For the eggplant lasagna I don't have an exact recipe, cause I change it around depending on what I have, LOL But here are the basics

The secret to the eggplant is to slice them in about 1/4 inch thick slices. Long ways is easier for lasagne, but I have sliced them into rounds for other recipes. Then salt both sides and let them sit on a papertowel or colander for 15 minutes to an hour. That will pull out some of the water in them and your lasagna won't be soggy. After sitting, rinse them and put them on a sheet pan and roast them in the oven for around 30 minutes at 400 degrees. You don't have to roast them first, but they get much more tender that way. (any recipe I make I always do the salting thing first)

Then you just use them in place of the noodles in whatever lasagna recipe you have.

I start with some sauce in the bottom - either make my own or I use the Ragu reduced sugar jar. You can add meat, or not.

Then 1 layer of eggplant slices. Then whatever cheeses you like. I use a mix of 1 container of ricotta and 2 eggs and some good parmesian. salt and pepper in the cheese mix.

Layer the cheese mixture on the eggplant. (if you don't have ricotta I just use shredded mozzarella)

Another layer of a little sauce,

Then repeat the eggplant and cheese layers

A little sauce on top and sprinkle some mozzarella and parmesian on top.

Bake that about 30 minutes at 350. Until the cheese and everything bubbles.

As you can see you can adjust this to really anything you like. I have also done this using zucchini. With zucchini you need to sweat the moisture out too or it gets soggy.

Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #682
Major LCF Poster!

Slicing the eggplant lengthwise...now that makes such good sense. I bet that this would be awesome with ground beef in the sauce mix. I'm definitely making this!

Have you ever tried stuffing zucchini? It is also sliced lengthwise, scoop out meat and cook the meat with a few onions, add some parmesan cheese and re-stuff the zucchini with a little more parmesan cheese on top. Bake
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Stuffed zucchini is good too! We usually use the ones that are too large for just sauteing. Sometimes we'll stuff them and wrap in foil, and the cook on the grill!!

I also found a recipe for low carb zucchini bread recently, and it's delicious too! Let me know if you'd like that recipe and I'll dig it out.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Alice and Meme - I make zucchini lasagna and I've made eggplant lasagna I also, I like both but the zucchini is my favorite. I do use ground beef in mine.

Alice - I'd like to live near you if you have green beans already, I love fresh garden beans - I've probably told you that before!

Meme - I make that broccoli salad, it's very good. I just bought a cauliflower today so may have make that salad subbing the cauliflower. I really wasn't planning the cauliflower but they were so fresh and white today, and the broccoli looked old, so the cauli ended up in my cart. I was thinking faux tater salad or faux mac and cheese. Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Hope you ladies have a Happy 4th!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #685
Major LCF Poster!

Alice and Tweeker,
I made the Eggplant Lasagna this afternoon with ground beef also and it was GREAT!

I had to go shopping for the ground beef and the mozzarella but it was well worth it.

I found this really great new Italian spice mix made by Rachael Ray at the store.
Ingredients are: sea salt garlic, fennel seeds, marjoram, rosemary, black peppercorn red bell pepper and chili. I was surprised when I opened it because the jar has a built-in grinder. So cool and fun too.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #686
Senior LCF Member

Hi , I hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Fun times here, lots of food! I did well sticking to low carb options. Burgers and dogs, I made sugar free cole slaw. And I was good staying away from the brownies!!

The garden is still doing great, unfortunately so are the weeds, LOL . I did finally pick a couple of tomatoes. Yum!!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #687
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Alice,
I loved the eggplant so much that I went back yesterday and picked up two more 1lb baby eggplants.

They also had some small cucumbers which I love because there are no seeds in it yet.

The tomatoes are so good that I had to get more of those too. A couple of Big ones and some smaller ones too.

Small zucchini again for some stir-fry. I like to stuff the bigger ones too Alice. It's not worth the time to try stuffing the little ones. That was a recipe that my mother found years ago in a French magazine years ago and I have been making it ever since, even before low carb-ing.

They said that the green beans are finished...so sad.

Our growing season here starts really early so the hot summer tends to makes things die back very early too.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #688
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That is sad that your green bean season is over already - on the other hand, ours hasn't even started! Gives me something to look forward to!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

I know, too bad about the green beans...I never even got any this year since I didn't go see him for a while. Maybe he just had a bad crop or maybe the bugs attacked and ate them all. The grasshoppers get really bad in the summer here and eat everything in sight. I know he has been having a real problem with some kind of critter coming and raiding during the night too.
I saw that he put out a couple of decoy yellow squash since the critter was bringing the plants like his corn, down to the ground and they never recover after that.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I hate it when we get racoons in our garden. They take a lot of the corn. And last year they ate almost all the peaches on our one peach tree.

But I think this year the garden is trying to make up for last year, LOL. I have had an abundance of cucumbers and zucchini. Yay! And my second round of green beans is just now starting to bloom. Today I'm working on freezing cabbage! So the garden sure is keeping me busy, but it will be worth it!! Luckily we've been having very temperate weather, and plenty of rain. 2 years ago we had horrible hot weather and drought (probably what you deal with most of the time, Meme, where you live!)