Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #631
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Hey, Alice, I'm still here! I eat an occasional sweet potato, usually only half of one at any one time. I hope it was something else going on with you because sweet potatoes are so good.

I did some shopping yesterday and was pleased with clothes fitting. I was buying large because I don't like things tight and liked that they covered up more of what I don't like, but now it seems that mediums fit better and large are really too big! Yay for me!
I tried another sweet potato last night, and so far so good. I only ate about 1/4 instead of the half I had last time. They are rather large! But I agree with you, they are delicious! So hopefully last time was just a fluke thing!

And Congrats on your size change!!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #632
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I can't wait until I get into maintenance. I don't even like sweet potatoes but I sure have been looking at alot of good pictures on pinterest of recipes they are in.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #633
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Michelle - Pinterest is evil! So many delicious looking food pictures - I could spend hours looking at pics and tracking down recipes.

Thanks, Alice, it will be nice wearing some new clothes. Maybe I'll make it to small some day -- I won't hold my breath!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I really had the munchies all day. Not sure why, or what set it off. I stuck to only legal foods on my plan, but I know I went way over on calories. Today I'm bloated and up 2 lbs. UGH Now I know I didn't eat enough food for 2 lbs, so I'm sure it's a lot of water and bloat, but I'm still ticked at myself.

Tweaker, I know I'll never get into a small and I'm ok with that! I am able to wear some mediums now in tops, but I'm large chested and large boned so it depends on the style of the tops.

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #635
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel your pain, Alice! At least you stuck with on plan food, that's definitely a plus. I'm sure the 2lbs. will drop right off, don't beat yourself up, just move forward!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #636
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is anyone still around?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #637
Senior LCF Member

I'm here, but haven't seen much action here lately, so I haven't really posted.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #638
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Alice - I figured you'd be the one to reply, seems like it's only the two of us who check this thread any more, I wish the others would come back. I have been spending time in the Atkins '72 area, I am back doing induction (always '72 for me). I started strict this past Monday and have lost 3 lbs.. It comes off slowly when you don't have a lot to lose! I'm really going to stick with it this time though and get to my goal weight -- the one I've had for the last 20+ years!! I've gotten close a few times then sabotage myself, NOT this time!!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #639
Senior LCF Member

Hi Tweaker - Yes, I guess it's pretty dead here. Well, I'll come back as long as some one is around to answer once in a while

Congrats on your 3 lbs and your recommitment. You can do it!! And those last few pounds are definitely the hardest!

I'm still right in my maintenance numbers. Still weigh every day. I've been holding between 166-169. If I ever see the number go over 170 I immediately rein everything in, and that seems to be working for me
Old 04-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #640
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Alice - I'll keep checking to see if anyone's posted every day or every other day. I'll post to keep our conversation going and let you know my progress. May be several days between posts, of course, but I have tried to keep the thread on page 1, if we get ousted to page 2 then it may be lost forever!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #641
Senior LCF Member

I'll check in every day or 2 as well. Maybe someone else will eventually come back! I'll try to visit you in the 72 area I never really checked that out, because that was a much stricter program than I ever started with. I never did a "true" induction. I pretty much stayed around 40 net carbs for most of my weightloss.

Keep up the good work!!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #642
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow - you could do 40 net carbs and lose? That's great! I can maintain around 30 or so but to lose I have to cut down to nothing. How long have you been maintenance? Once I reach goal this time I'm setting the 5 lb. limit and never go over it, it's too hard to lose the older I get!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #643
Senior LCF Member

I've been in maintenance for about 6 months now. And I now eat 50 - 60 net carbs roughly. But of course only good carbs. I did start adding in some Fiber One cereal some mornings. It has about 23 carbs but 14 of those are fiber! A half a sweet potato once in a while, etc. But I weigh daily to make sure I stay in my maintenance range. But even when I was losing I lost really well on 40. But I did have to watch my calories some too.

And I agree with you - I do not want to have to lose this again. It definitely gets harder each time. So I'm committed to keeping it off! But I feel like with this plan I'm on I can do that this time. Before, when I would eat low fat rabbit food, I could never stay on that very long so it always came back.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #644
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Six months is great, Alice! I have actually maintained most of my original 60 lb. loss for many years but periodically I find myself 10 lbs. over and have to start again, so as I said, this time no more than 5 over then buckle down and take it right off!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #645
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Tweaker! This is actually the longest I have ever kept my weight off! I go to the doctor tomorrow and I'm excited to show her that I could do it! She is not exactly a proponent of low carb, but she has been very supportive. Especially after all my success! lol
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #646
Senior LCF Member

Just popped in to say that I finally tried some SO Delicious Dairy Free Coconut milk ice cream. I had the no sugar added kind, only 4 net carbs and only 1 g sugar. And it was delicious!! The biggest issue is the price, and not eating the whole carton in one sitting!

If you have never tried it I highly recommend!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #647
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have heard of that before but I haven't tried it, maybe by 4th of July I'll feel that I can treat myself!

Happy Easter, Alice!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #648
Senior LCF Member

Happy Easter!!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #649
Senior LCF Member

I've been trying some new recipes this week. Some are very yummy! The hardest part is even though they are low carb, they are still high calorie - so I need some self control to not eat the whole thing at once LOL. So far this week I've made some garlic cheesey "bread" made with cauliflower and coconut flour. I made some awesome banana bread with almond meal, coconut flour, cream cheese, eggs and banana, of course. So good! Also tried a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. Not sure what put me into this baking mood, but I found some great new recipes
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #650
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cheesy garlic bread with cauliflower?, that's a new one to me. Could you post the recipe for me, Alice?--or point me in the right direction. I made some chocolate chip cookies a couple months ago that were really good, what's your recipe? TIA
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #651
Senior LCF Member

I'm never sure what links we are and are not allowed to post, so I'll just c/p the recipes here for you! I got this one from one of my FB groups, but can't remember which one. It doesn't taste exactly like bread, but it's pretty yummy!

Sneaky Cheesy Garlic Bread, grain free

Author:
Stacey
Recipe typerimal, low carb, grain free, gluten free
Cuisine:veggie, bread
Serves:9
Prep time:7 mins
Cook time:30 mins
Total time:37 mins

A grain free, low carb, primal bread that has hiddens veggies!

Ingredients
⅔ cup raw cauliflower, ground or riced.
⅓ cup coconut flour, where to buy coconut flour
1 tbsp golden flax meal *optional, can omit, where to buy flax meal
2 to 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced.
2 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp sea salt, where to buy sea salt
3 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp milk of choice: unsweetened coconut milk, or unsweetened almond milk, or organic whole dairy milk.
2½ tbsp butter or ghee, melted, where to buy ghee
⅓ to ½ cup grated cheese of choice: cheddar, pepper jack, jack, etc.
1 tsp coconut sugar for primal, or 1 tsp erythritol for low carb * optional, can omit.
1¼tsp baking powder or for primal use1/2 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, mixed in separate pinch bowl (should be very fizzy)
½ tbsp butter or ghee, melted *optional for brushing on top of loaf
1 tbsp parmesan cheese * optional for sprinkling on top of loaf

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or butter a loaf pan very well.
Grind up raw cauliflower tops, not stems, in a processor, blender or ricer until rice texture is formed.
In a large mixing bowl combine: ⅔ cup ground cauliflower, ⅓ cup coconut flour, 1 tbsp optional flax meal, minced garlic cloves, 2 tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp sea salt and 1 tsp optional sweetener. Stir together thoroughly.
Add to the cauliflower mixture: 3 eggs, 3 tbsp milk of choice, 2 ½ tbsp. melted butter or ghee, and grated cheese of choice. Mix together thoroughly.
Add in the baking powder or baking soda + apple cider vinegar mixture and mix in well.
Dump batter into prepared loaf pan, and spread around evenly. Smooth out top of loaf with the back of a spoon.
Can brush on the top of loaf the optional ½ tbsp melted butter or ghee, using a pastry or sauce brush.
Sprinkle optional parmesan cheese on top of loaf if desired.
Bake at 400 F preheated oven for 30 minutes, check at 28 minutes, as all ovens vary. Remove from oven once loaf is firm in center and browning on top.
Cool, slice and serve.

Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 slice out of 9 servings Calories: 101 Fat: 8 g Carbohydrates: 4 g / Net Carbs: 2.1 g Sugar: 1 g Fiber: 1.9 g Protein: 5 g
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #652
Senior LCF Member

CHUNKY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

This one is from SPLENDID LOW-CARBING BY JENNIFER ELOFF. And she suggests keeping them in the freezer and then eat them straight out of the freezer. I though that was weird, but they are soooo good that way!! The don't taste or feel frozen at all and it does something great to the texture!

CHUNKY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
These are excellent, substantial cookies! No one will guess they are gluten-free, sugar-free and low-carb. That’s the best part, I think! Keep them in the refrigerator or the freezer (they become quite crunchy), depending on your preference.

2 eggs
Liquid sweetener equal 1 cup sugar (250 mL)
1/2 cup granulated erythritol (125 mL)
3/4 cup butter, softened (175 mL)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2 mL)
11/2 cups almond flour (375 mL)
11/4 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix (300 mL) (recipe for that below)
1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
2 cups sugarless chocolate chips (500 mL)
1 cup chopped walnuts (250 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

In food processor, process eggs, liquid sweetener, erythritol, butter and vanilla extact. In large bowl, combine almond flour, Gluten-Free Bake Mix, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and process at least one minute. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Let cookie dough rest 10 minutes.

Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheet. Flatten dough with back of spoon. Bake 10 minutes. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes on cookie sheet. Transfer to a plate and place in freezer. Refrigerate later or keep in freezer in an airtight container.

Yield: 34 cookies
1 cookie
150.7 calories
3.2 g protein
12.3 g fat
1.9 g carbs

Gluten Free Bake Mix Recipe

1 2/3 c almond flour
3/4 c gluten free oat flour
2 T coconut flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum

If you don't want to use oat flour, you can use more almond. But it will change the texture a bit.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Alice. I have Jen's book and I'm pretty sure I made those cookies before. Question about the bread though, does it rise to the top of bread pan like a regular loaf of bread? It sounds like it could make a pretty good flat bread, just spread out on a baking sheet and bake. Probably 15 to 20 minutes would be long enough to bake. What do you think?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #654
Senior LCF Member

No, it really doesn't rise at all. I made it in a regular loaf pan and it was about an inch or so high. But I think it would come out great as a flat bread! I'll have to try that myself. One thing I did find is that after it sat in the fridge overnight, it had a much more "bready" texture than when it first came out of the oven. So for our second night I sliced it, added a bit more grated cheese on top and put it back in the oven for a few minutes. Yum!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #655
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought some cauliflower yesterday so I may give the bread a try. I'm not surprised that it was better after refrigerating overnight, seems like most low carb baked goods are always better the second day. I'll let you know if I try it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #656
Senior LCF Member

Yes, please let me know if the flat bread turns out!

My scale is up a couple of pounds this morning, but I think it's due to sore muscles from the weekend. I did some planting over the weekend. Got our spring vegetables planted, and last night and this morning the backs of my thighs are killing me. But it's a good pain, right?!? So I"m thinking I'm holding some water!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #657
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nice, Alice, there's nothing like home grown fresh vegetables! It's still too cold here to plant anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the ground is frozen in places that don't get much sun--which is something we haven't had a lot of!

I didn't make the cauliflower into flat bread this time, I made a cauliflower-tater salad and Dana Carpenter's creamy risotto. I have saved the recipe though.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Oh, that risotto sounds good! I think I've seen her recipe. Need to try that! I've done a cauli-tater salad before with cucumbers and eggs. It was good too.

Where do you live? I'm in Indiana and the weather has been really up and down. We had a horrible winter, and a slow spring. I have not yet planted anything like tomatoes and corn yet. It's still too cold for that here. But I love our fresh veges every summer!!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #659
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm in Maine -- rained all day today! I had some of the cauli-tater salad with crock pot b-q ribs for dinner, really good stuff!

I think tomatoes, cukes and green beans are my favorite garden veggies, oh and radishes, love 'em!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

The weather is finally starting to get better here. I'm hoping we can get the rest of the garden planted soon. I love tomatoes and cucumbers, zucchini and green beans! Those are probably my favorites. But I haven't found too many vegetables I don't like. LOL

Oh, and I made eggplant the other night, for the first time ever. It was so good. I can't believe I have never tried to cook it before now.