Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #211
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
much luck, Abi...freezingly cold in the house today.

if u know me, u know i am exulting in it. i am drinking HOT coffee.Later, I will be making HOT tea (strawberry flavored). The brand name of these teas is Wissotsky. Lots of flavors. Read labels-some of them have caffeine, if caffeine is a concern. My sole fruit consumption aujourd hui (hope i spelled it right...probably didn't)was 1/2 grapefruit. (earth)dad was a wholesale buyer for fruit. He passed away in 1965. Perhaps, I took it for granted as a child. Then, I stopped fruit alltogether on AND off ATKINS. I had never gone beyond Induction level. as we know, the trick is to choose the lower sugar fruits like the berries(after we have moved beyond Induction, and/or SMALL portions of citrus, and other fruits, AND not alone, especially if we are diabetic, to avoid the glycemic rush. Just as is with weight loss, a difficult sacrifice. I will get there, hopefully sooner than later. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #212

addendum!

and yes, to answer your question...I AM wearing the navy blue terrycloth robe! FF
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Pretty good, ff...aujourd'hui
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Well, I am home and had a worse trip home than on the way to Missouri. Will tell you the rest of the story when I get a minute. Must get some shut eye as have work in the morning.

Have a great Tuesday Blitzers!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
omg, abs, if you're awake - nevermind posting, at 11:43 p.m., it must have been QUITE A DAY!...

as you can see, i am posting at 1:41 a.m. and i had a day from HELL!...it was fine until about 2 p.m. when i got a call from the 35 year old daughter of friends of ours who died a while back...loooong story, but i hadn't seen her in 15 years or so and she called from fall river massachusetts desperate for a ride away from an abusive relationship...i ended up driving about 500 miles today and just got home a few minutes ago...

abs, we'll have to compare notes tomorrow...i need some sleep too! :-)

good to see you, ff and marilee...sweet dreams, all...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Oh my gosh Tony, your day sounds alot worse than mine. What a blessing you were to help your friend's daughter. I pray this young woman can get a fresh start away from this abuser and that the abuser gets help too.

Our flight started just fine. We took off on time and got into Chicago ok. Had a bit of a walk to the gate and got all settled in to wait the 2 hour layover. Then they announced we were going to take off from another gate in another concourse with a 30 minutes delay. Poor DH made the long trek. Finally we took off figuring we would get to Hartford at 5 instead of 4:30. 45 minutes into the flight the pilot announced we had a hydraulic leak and were heading back to Chicago. Of course I am thinking the worst and figure it is the landing gear. Was so relieved when they didn't say put your head down and brace for a bad landing. They said stay on the plane and we will see if it is something that can be fixed quickly. It was not and they said another plane was coming in at 5 and we would be using it. At 5 we board and then taxi out to the runway. We wait 30 minutes and they say there is some kind of discrepancy with the number of passengers and the weight of the plane. 30 minutes later we move a little more and they say now we have to wait our turn taking off. We finally take off about 6:30. But hey, they didn't lose our luggage coming back. lol

I am fasting today and will weigh tomorrow and see the damage done over the weekend. I know I did not do too badly but we shall see.

FF you are showing alot of restraint on the fruit consumption. Interesting that your Dad was a wholesale buyer of fruit.

Marilee, do you speak french?

Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 05-14-2013 at 02:43 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abi, wow, what an adventure you have had! And, oui, je parle francais un peu.....

Tony, good for you for helping out that your woman. Like Abi, I hope she stays away from the abuser and they both get help.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

I wish I had paid more attention in my french classes in high school, Marilee. It is such a beautiful language. I know a little french, spanish, latin, and german lol but not enough to converse with anyone.

Well today was free lunch day so I did not fast but ate my hard boiled eggs and lettuce for breakfast and had the tops off two slices of pizza for lunch.

Will try again tomorrow to get back on the 5:2 or 4:3 bandwagon.

Hope you all had a great day. I am so glad to be home in one piece and everyone on my team seemed happy to get me back to work. Need to head in for some shut eye very soon and get caught up.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sweet dreams, abi :-) i was thinking about you yesterday as i only ate about 600 calories, but i didn't do it as well as you do - i had 1/2 apple for breakfast and a bk italian chicken sandwich for dinner while we were on the road...btw, that is quite a trip!...try southwest...haha!

i will try to summarize what happened yesterday when i have more time...it was one of the saddest, most tragic days i've seen unfold in a long time...the girl i thought i was helping ended up inflicting a lot of pain on her estranged husband - i picked her up from a man's apartment (the guy she said was verbally abusing her) who she had cheated with on her husband...this guy seemed like a big dummy and she admitted he was a loser but not really abusive...but she decided to try to get back with her estranged husband - a poor handicapped man who had just started getting his life together and her actions yesterday got this man thrown out of the place he was living in rural maine...

horrible, horrible day - very disheartening...i gave them the $190 i had in my pocket and took them to a motel 6 so they could try to work things out between them...i guess she cheated on him twice and she hasn't seen her 13 year old son from her first marriage in over a year...she developed some kind of criminal record (for god only knows what) and is a disaster right now...her parents were such nice people and i feel sorry for this girl as she saw her dad hemorrhage and die when she was only ten - that contributed greatly to her problems today...

well, i guess you get the gyst of the story...

ff, sounds like you are finding your groove...how is retirement?...do you miss work at all?...are you getting enough social time?...folks need to be exposed to your wit and charm...

marilee, i had some french in 8th grade, but i don't remember any of it...

today:
b: crustless broccoli and cheese quiche
l: salad topped with tuna
d: ribs on the grill

Last edited by tony8; 05-14-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 02:04 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, that is a sad story. So many people hurting out there often because of their own making. You still did the right thing. Will keep this whole group in my thoughts.

Will try to get back on the fasting band wagon today. Have my 3 eggs all cooked waiting to have the shells removed. Also have my cup of lettuce, coffee with 1 tbl of cream, and 1 tbl of mayo ready to go. Still have not weighed. Will do so tomorrow if I manage to fast ok today.

It was good to get back to work yesterday and my group seemed glad to get me back. But I may go to my aunt's funeral in Connecticut on Friday if anyone else in the family is going and I can hitch a ride. Her son, my cousin Father Kennedy said Mom's funeral Mass a year ago so I would really like to go to his Mom's funeral. She was also my godmother and the last of my parents' generation in the family. I have e-mailed my brother, two sisters and a cousin in town to see if any of them can go.

Wishing you all a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, i'm so sorry to hear about your aunt...one of my dad's and four of my mom's siblings are still alive, although they are getting rather old...when i am with them, they remind me of my parents...i know with my grandparents family that it is sad to lose the last of a generation...hope you can make the funeral...

i was thinking of the people involved in monday's mis-adventure all day yesterday...i didn't mention that the place i brought this girl was over an hour north of augusta, maine in the middle of nowhere and after several hours on the road, and at 9 p.m. while her husband was giving me directions to where he was living, his buddy got on the phone screaming at me that if i brought her there, he would have me arrested for trespassing...i eventually calmed him down and by the end of the night he was praising me for doing the right thing...he was a very nice person, who had allowed her husband to live with him since last october - he just didn't want him to get back with the girl who he accused of only showing up to get his disability checks...she had a long history of hurting her husband...i felt like i had brought a pox on his family...at one point, i offered to take her away, if he would allow her husband to continue to stay there, but he felt betrayed that the husband had been talking to her behind the scenes...the husband was so disabled, he could barely walk or stand up - he almost fell down a few times...she was the only girl he had ever been with due to his disabilities...he wanted to believe she loved him, but i was left with real doubts after watching their interactions - she was very aggressive and domineering towards him...very sad...

good luck with the fasting today...

Last edited by tony8; 05-15-2013 at 03:58 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi guys, hope everyone is doing well!

i'm feeling motivated and strong right now...i had a weird thing happen with my toe a couple of days ago and it was bleeding around the nail and looked like it was getting infected so i went to the doc immediately - which is a huge improvement over my usual avoidance of docs - she put me on antibiotics...but while i was there, she commented on how good i looked and that it was obvious i had lost weight...that felt good...and that hopefully when i see her in october if i've lost more weight, maybe she could get rid of some meds...she also said she wanted to see how "buff" i might be in october...haha!

my toe is improving and it isn't slowing me down...had a good workout at the gym, and worked outside today...

b: crustless broc and cheese quiche
l: salad topped with tuna
d: takeout chicken and fish
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

where is everyone?...i think we've lost britt and clanger...feels like our merry little band of blitzers is getting littler :-)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #224

y'all had some traumatic times lately.

i had some sort of stomach things happening. I emptied myself out on the porcelain bus if y'all get the drift. I feel very empty now and cancelled my lunch appt for tomorrow all the same, with a friend from work who gets me my CDs/DVDs/Books from DeepDiscount. I pay him cash. I do not do business on the web. I do not even have a credit card, nor do I want one. So, he will come here instead. I ordered the Raj Quartet novels and Gojira/Godzilla 1953 or thereabout. All together it costs only $37.20. Well worth it. I will catch up on your posts when I am more focused. I wish you all well. FF
Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm here!

Tony, so sorry for all of the drama you've had. Not fun.

Abi, I'm sorry for your loss. Losing someone you love is a hard thing.

ff, I'm sorry you aren't feeling up to par.

I'm doing ok. Fell off plan again...I just seem to have lost my mojo so I'm sorry for that so - 4 sorry's for the 4 of us

I'm going to shut down and watch a little TV. Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Tony - what a terribly sad story for your daughter's friend - regardless of her behaviour, at least you can be satisfied with yourself that you've done everything possible to help, and can't be called upon to do any more.

Abi - your travel experiences sound horrendous! Sympathy to you for your recent loss.

FF, stay safe. And stay close to the bathroom! I hope you feel better soon.

Gibby, let's hope you'll get your mojo back soon. It's so hard when you know you want to stay on plan, but the little voice inside you manages to scupper your best intentions. You'll be back to your usual self soon.

I'm still here - have been extremely busy at work lately. I have a long shift this weekend (so will have to remember to take in food!), and can't wait to relax on Sunday!

Have a great day, all!
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, what a traumatic night you had. We need to award you with the "red badge of courage"!! So glad you went right to the Dr. with your bleeding toe nail!

Thanks everyone for your condolences. My brother and I will ride down to New London, Connecticut with my cousin and her husband tomorrow for the funeral.

Marilee, hoping you are able to get re-motivated. It is such a constant battle.

Clanger, tell us again what you do for work. Yes, sometimes we have to remind ourselves to take in food for the energy we need to function well. It does not happen with me very often but on our flights I was so glad I had bought those two bags of bacon jerky. They gave me energy and were so convenient!

Well, I weighed today for the first time since last Thurs. I was happy to see I had held on to that 6 lb loss. Not sure If I can get a second day of fasting in this week. That is when I have been seeing the weight loss for the last 3 weeks.

FF, sorry about the stomach upset. Nice of your friend to deliver the dvds you had ordered! I am sure you will really enjoy them.

Have not packed lunch yet so need to see what is available in the fridge. Really need to so some shopping!

Have a great day Blitzers!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i'm so happy to see all of you!...

ff, you have quite a relationship with the porcelain goddess...haha!...hope she doesn't summon you too often today

clanger, i love it when i forget to eat - unfortunately, it doesn't happen too often good luck this weekend...

marilee, you have been through a lot lately...don't beat yourself up...sometimes when i get to a place where i feel unmotivated, i go through my house with a garbage bag and throw out everything i don't eat when i AM motivated - then i go to the market and buy all good, healthy, on-plan food and fill the house with that...next, i take it one good meal at a time, then day, then week, etc...i don't think this is the time to try to force yourself into anything extreme - just ease into a healthy, moderate way of eating and try to eliminate the bad stuff...YOU CAN DO THIS!

abs, congrats on holding onto your loss!!!!!...that's a huge accomplishment, especially having been out of your routine for the long weekend!...very impressive...

sarah flies in today for emmy's graduation from unh on saturday - she'll be here til monday...we have a busy weekend ahead...tomorrow, the in-laws, and charisse (the girl from brooklyn we had as part of the fresh-air fund beginning in 1994 when she was 7) is coming in as well...she is as close as a sister to our kids and like a daughter to us...don't know if i've mentioned her here before, but we love her and she visits at least a few times a year...she's 26 now!

emmy's honors convocation is friday afternoon, then we will take a crowd out to dinner, then sat morning is the graduation, then we have reservations at our favorite italian restaurant on sat afternoon - should be fun...the house will be full, that's for sure...

i will share some news with you guys that very few people know yet...emmy informed us that she is pregnant - about two months along...she and her boyfriend have been dating since september and we've spent a lot of time with him and we like him - at least as much as any parents can like a boy they don't really know...he's a student at unh too...

we are obviously worried about them, but will be here to offer the love and support they need...they haven't decided what to do next - get married or wait, etc...i think he's asked her and she has hesitated and i'm not sure why, but i have to trust her instincts...i told her i would pay for a wedding if she decides to do that...we'd prefer they didn't live together without being married, but she has hinted she may move into his mother's house with him which is close to school (where she is supposed to get her master's degree next year) and work...we'd rather have her here and him there, but it's not our decision...

we are struggling between the stress of the timing of emmy's pregnancy and then the joy of becoming grandparents for the first time...ultimately, we are simply concerned for our daughter's and grandchild's happiness...emmy just turned 22 and bf is 21 - very young...he is a psychology major with a year to go to graduate and he will stay in school, so i am anticipating a significant period of financial struggling for them...dw and i were in the same boat at 25, but i was driven and he is younger and scared - i get it and am trying to just be supportive for both of them...i guess his dad left his mom and doesn't have much to do with his four children, so i feel i have to father him a bit, as well as emmy...

the only people who know are my kids and a few close friends of emmy and her bf, and now you guys - haven't even told our families yet...

so as you can see, i have a real incentive to keep exercising as i will be chasing a grandchild around soon!

Last edited by tony8; 05-16-2013 at 06:01 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #229

mercifully, i am over the worst of it.

but it is too soon to sit down to a serious meal. i will treat my friend to coffee and donut. there is a Dunkin' at the Shoprite. There is a sale there for Brut Splash on, but there were none left on Tues., so I am trying again today. My fruit flavored iced teas and diluted iced diet Snapples will be, and already are the refreshers of the season. I am gonna get another box fan, to set up a cross current in the house. Too expensive to run the AC. Right now, I just turned the one fan off. Nice and cool in the house right now. How long will that last? FF
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, you sure have had a lot of things happen to you lately - leg/hip, toe, hot tub, arrest threats and pregnancy!

Let me say that I admire your outlook on your daughter's pregnancy. You are a kind and loving father, which she needs right now. Grandpa?!?! Holy basinette, Bat Man! You are too young for that!

Thanks for being a great role model to your kids and your daughter boyfriend. Looks like he needs one.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thank you so much for the kind words, marilee...they mean a lot coming from you :-)

i think there would be a lot fewer kids if we knew ahead of time, how much worry goes along with them!...ha!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, very wise words from Marilee! I know you and DW would have preferred the kids be more settled before the babies came along but this little one is already loved by your whole family and things will be ok in the long run. We will all be sharing in your excitement.

My cousin the priest called my brother to find out how many from the family would be coming to my Aunt's funeral. I was happy that 6 of us are able to make the trip. Our other cousin, his brother, will be having a reception at their house after the funeral. It does not seem possible it was just a little over a year ago that they were all here for Mom's funeral.

Hoping you all have a restful weekend. I hope to get some plants in the garden that I started in the house last month. Can't believe that some are still alive. I absolutely do not have a green thumb!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #233

Death takes no holiday!

So sorry for your loss. Let us all treat those of us left on earth with greater kindness. I was supposed to go into the city today. I woke up much too late...close to high noon. Some other time, perhaps. The 2 large red grapefruits were dry as the desert. I am staying with the small white ones. I just peel them like a navel orange. They are very juicy. I am back on the vitamins again, especially chromium piccolinate for blood sugar metabolism. I also located Dr. Atkins' VITANUTRIENT SOLUTION.It was practically right in front of me, but my bookshelves are quite crowded. Gonna stay in today and read and listen to music. Sunday or Monday, I am gonna see the new Star Trek film-INTO DARKNESS. Pity there are no Ferenghi in it. This is why the ST features never win Oscars! FF
Old 05-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #234

3:47 AM-no sleep!

which means no REM sleep either. Hopefully, I will be sawing wood tomorrow. Very strange! FF
Old 05-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning FF! I couldn't sleep past 1 am as hard as I tried. Hope I got some REM sleep before that.

My aunt's funeral was very nice. My cousin the priest sang "The Old Rugged Cross" and played the guitar. He has a lovely voice. Met some cousins for the first time. One lady said I looked lilke my aunt which took me by surprise. We were not related by blood and no one had ever said that before. Glad to be able to spend a couple of days at home. All this traveling has worn me out.

Will check back later to see what everyone is doing today. FF will be napping!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #236

Relieved your aunt had a good farewell.

i got out of bed at about 2:30 pm, although i was at the crossroads of sleep and wakefulness, on and off, since about noontime. i hope i make it out of the house tomorrow , for a short spell anyway. Nothing else new to report. FF
Old 05-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi guys, just a quick check-in...emmy graduated today - great time - 14 of us went out to dinner - i had veal parm and 2 ravioli - it was so so good but i am stuffed...what i ate today was a few cubes of cantaloup, a handful of mixed nuts and the veal parm dinner...

ff, happy grapefruits!...does that chromium help?...hope you get some rest!

you too, abs - i wasn't sleeping too well either but i have some very good reasons! :-) hope y'all don't have good reasons too!...happy that you could make the funeral and that your family was together - that is one of the ways we keep families connected...

no gym til monday...toe still isn't 100%, so i'm outta the hot tub til it heals fully...that's a drag!...
Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

FF, you were smart to get caught up on your sleep during the day. I just plodded along but did zonk out around 5 last night. Had a book ready to read but I never cracked the cover.

Tony, that's a bummer that you have to wait for your toe to heal before you can get back in the hot tub but it does make sense though. Too bad they don't make totally waterproof socks! Congratulations to Emmy for graduating from college! Hope she can work it out to go on to get her masters degree. What was her major?

I had a bad day yesterday eating wise. I know exactly why. It was all the pent up stress from the last week of traveling. I hope it is out of my system now. I did make some lemon fat bombs yesterday. Trying to stay away from other frozen desserts and these are on my eating plan. Made little ones that come to 36 calories each and no more than 2 carbs. I have them in the freezer so when I get the tempting urges I will pop one of these in my mouth and they will hopefully do the trick.http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-da-bomb.html
post number 12 by widget. I didn't have any lemon extract so left that out. they are still delicious like frozen lemon cheesecake ice cream drops.

Looking forward to going to the Backside this morning. Missed chatting with my sil for two weeks. I think my brother and I are all talked out since our trip to CT on Friday. lol

Got to try to get myself geared up to get back on my 5:2 or 4:3 schedule starting back tomorrow. May not go the egg route tomorrow. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Wishing all the Blitzers a good Sunday. Get rested up and be ready to hit the ground running tomorrow!

Last edited by Abigale; 05-19-2013 at 01:57 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey all.....glad to see the posts and know everyone is alive and well.

I'm back on plan and it feels so good! I did get on the scale - always need the reality check - and logged it in my book.

I had trouble sleeping on Friday night, too. Was there some kind of crazy moon that night? Anyway, I hate to admit it, but between getting up at 4:30 every day and then not sleeping well Friday night, I was a total couch potato yesterday....napped all through the day. Today, I feel refreshed and ready to go, which is a good thing because I REALLY need to clean the house and do some laundry. Tomorrow I'm getting my first visit from the bug man, since I've seen a few critters that I'm not excited about. So, I'm cleaning the house for the bug man

Have a great day! I'll check in later when I need to rest my knee and back.

Marilee
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #240

so glad i woke up earlier today- about high noon.

saw the new production of Verdi's opera RIGOLETTO, which was transplanted to 1960s Las Vegas. The singing and acting were superb. The staging, fortunately, did not sabotage the aforementioned. The production succeeded NOT BECAUSE ofthe staging, but IN SPITE OF IT. One grapefruit left. Saving it for later. FF