Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Hope everyone had a great weekend! Mine was quiet though fairly productive - I managed to finally get around to painting my bathroom, so that now looks quite posh.

Interesting feedback on alcohol - thanks all. I have a night out at the end of this month, so I'll abstain until then and afterwards I think I might take another 3 months off. I did feel much better last time, and it won't hurt the weightloss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
well, the hot tub works perfectly and i've been in it three times so far - yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning...i may go in again tonight...it is so nice, i feel a bit guilty...last night i was sitting in the tub, in the middle of the beautiful nh woods, looking up at a clear, starry sky thinking about how lucky i am, wishing my parents had been able to enjoy something like this...
That's a lovely thought, tony8.

Now step away from the hot-tub, you're starting to prune! It sounds wonderful, Tony - and all the outside work getting the area ready makes it all the more satisfying, I bet.

My Indian meal at the weekend was delicious, though I did have one chapatti (basically a tortilla)... an entire bottle of Shiraz ... and two gin and tonics . So actually, that didn't really do my diet much good at all. My calories were way over 2,000 for the day, but I've got right back on track since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
My 4:3 ( 5:2) plan is going well. I lost the 4 pounds the first week and another 1.2 this week. They say expect to lose at least 1 pound per week. What I like is that only weighing after a fast day I am not seeing those big up and down jumps caused by water retention. I also find that on my feast days I do not have the urge to overeat which has always been a big problem for me.
Glad to hear it's going well for you, Abi . I've decided that my (5:2) plan will be to skip dinner two nights per week (Wed & Thurs) - a bit like the old saying "Breakfast like a King; Lunch like a Prince; Dinner like a Pauper". I'm beginning to regret it already, what with it being the first day tomorrow .

How long are you going to Missouri for, Abi? Do you have any plans whilst your there? I've never seen bacon jerky before, by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
As much as I hate the hot weather, I find my appetite diminishes (about late May through mid Oct. ) I hope that pattern gets rewoven soon. FF
Fingers crossed for you, FF! Is there a low-carb milkshake recipe... maybe with almond or coconut milk or something? We shouldn't be deprived of our favourite things! Good luck at the hospital - I hope things turn out well for you.

Well, it's time for work. Have a great day, all!
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Clanger, we will only be in Missouri from Friday to Monday. It is a quick trip but daughter and 4 grandkids will be driving here the end of June for a week so that will be great!
If you are going to skip dinner maybe get a good book and go to bed early so you can stay out of the kitchen! That really helps me as I go to bed with the chickens. lol

FF, good luck today with your meeting! Will you go around and visit your old work mates?

Tony, hope the golf game goes well. It will be so nice to get to visit with your brother. It looks like the hot tub is doing just what you hoped it would!

Today is free lunch day and we are having chicken fajitas. This has been the best meal yet from the restaurant so we are all happy. I will eat the filling without the tortilla. Most of the meals from there have been pasta or rice based so I have to bring something from home.

So I am down a whopping 2 oz after my first fast day of the week. lol But am very happy to be holding steady with the 5 pound drop. Will fast again on Wed. Have no idea how Friday or Monday will go as those are the travel days so I will take those as they come. I'm sure daughter will have something planned for Friday night dinner so I will join the gang.

Marilee, how are doing this week?

Wishing you all a great Tuesday!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #183
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I have been trying IF for about a week now and am down 4 lbs. i don't want to hold my breath though. I will know it is working after a couple of more weeks and watching what I eat in my window.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #184
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i forgot i had no money for these expensive trips.

it cost $30.00 round trip to get to the hospital, so i will have to save up my latinum, then perhaps, i can go next month.In the meanwhile, I am phoning. Of course all my calls are being ignored. i cannot stand on my feet without unendurable foot pain. this transportation that i need to get is more difficult than getting my pension. so, except for a once a year trip to AC, I really cannot go anywhere outside of my neighborhood. Quite challenging. Miraculously, staying home almost 24/7, my electric bill was only $60.00 and change for the last month. I average about $75.00, in the cool half of the year. Have a greaty day, all! FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hi vicki!!!...great to see you, girl and to hear that you are on a plan that is giving you results!...we miss you when you are not around! :-)

abs, i know how happy you will be to be with your daughter and grandchildren - enjoy your trip without stressing too much about food - you can get back on your plan next week...

ff, why are your feet hurting so much?...that sounds horrible!...

clanger, the bathroom sounds lovely - it's amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do for a room!...

had a great day today hanging with my brother and his friend at the golf course...we had a cart but i was climbing in and out of it and walked at least a few miles over the 4 1/2 hours we played 18 holes...my leg did not bother me, except for a few steps here and there...it was soooo nice to be able to do so much...it's been many years since i played 18 holes of golf!...

my bro followed me home and had dinner with us which was nice...steak on the grill...all i ate all day before that was a banana this morning...

gym day tomorrow and some work to do at the building...may have to delay some more work i'm doing at home if it rains...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

FF, sorry you didn't have the extra money to go to talk with the guy at the hospital. Were you able to talk on the phone with him and get it worked out? Those feet of yours have been a problem for a long time haven't they?

Tony, it is so wonderful that you had such a nice golf outing with your brother. Did he try out the hot tub?

Vicki, we are thrilled that IF is working for you. I feel the same about this 5:2 and 4:3 that I am doing. It will be several weeks before I will know for sure if this is working for me. I do like the feeling of limiting my self to under 600 calories two or three days a week.

Last night DH brought home a roast beef wrap which we split for dinner. It had alot of rare roast beef that did not have that icky preservative taste like alot of deli meat has. tomatoes, lettuce, banana peppers and we added our own mayo. I ate mine like a salad. If I had had a head of lettuce I would have made a lettuce wrap for it.

Yesterday's chicken fajitas were as good as last time so lunch was very enjoyable too.

I have my two hard boiled eggs with 1 tbl of mayo, 1 cup of lettuce and coffee with 1 tbl of cream and 1 cup of lettuce packed for lunch.

Hope you all have great day and also hope that Marilee checks in with us!

Last edited by Abigale; 05-08-2013 at 02:14 AM..
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

abs, your daughter is gonna think you look great!...aside from specialty delis that roast their own, the best deli roast beef i've had is the "black angus" rb at hanniford - it doesn't have that preservative taste that i really don't like - at least i can't taste it!...check it out sometime...do you have a hanniford out there?

no, my brother didn't use the hot tub, but he liked it - actually, i don't think any of us used it yesterday, but i am planning on using it today :-)

feeling very strong and motivated and not that hungry the last few days...
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Just popping in to say "hey". I'm reading your posts and am glad that everyone is doing well.

ff, sorry about your feet. I understand the difficulty in having mobility issues. it isn't fun!

Vicki - nice to hear from you!
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

how are you doing, marilee?...
Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Struggling, but I'll make it.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #191

improved my strawberry intake.

I bought the 2 lb strawberry container, 2 grapefruits, and 2 bananas (the price was right). i ate only 1/2 the container, instead of the whole 2 lbs. i feel much better. i should only have consumed 1/4 the container at most, but i shall try to consume the rest of the container as 2 or 3 portions with sour cream or cottage cheese. The bananas and grapefruit i have a bit more control over. Once I am outside more often as the heat intensifies, I will make more progress. FF
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

ff, there are worse things to eat a pound of - God knows i've eaten most of them! :-)

sorry to hear you are struggling, marilee...wish we could all come out there and give you some hugs - then sip margaritas on your new patio!...haha!...hang in there, kid...we love you...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, margaritas on Marilee's patio. That sounds so good! Someday you have to post some pictures of your patio when all the plants look their very best!

FF, good going on stopping at one pound of the stawberries! How are the feet today?

Well, had my second fast day of the week and am down a pound! So that is a total of 6 pounds since I started my 4:3 on April 22nd. I am beginning to have some faith in this plan. Hoping after our trip to Missouri tomorrow I won't see a 6 pound gain. When I get back to work on tues. it will be free lunch day. So I will fast on Wed. and weigh again on Thursday and see what damage I have done.

Will try to post in the morning if I have time. We will driving to Hartford very early as our flight leaves at 5:30am!

Have a great day all and wonderful weekend!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

5:30 a.m.?...early?...that's the middle of the day for you, abi... :-) have a great, happy, awesome, cool, loving, huggy, mushy trip!...

gym day today as i skipped yesterday - i was sore from my golf marathon...

i'll be back later...

hey britt, i'm gonna keep bugging you until you return :-)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

okay, hopped in the hot tub to warm up my muscles and then hit the gym for a good workout...again, the leg hurt at first and felt better as i worked it longer - weird...

then for breakfast i added some steel-cut oats to the last 1/3 of the small cup of greek yogurt with apples i split into 3 meals...i just made some chicken salad from the leftover grilled chicken i made the other day - only white meat left and it is so yummy (i sampled a forkful)...i will top a salad with it later on...

leftovers for dinner tonight - i may make ds and dw their choice of sandwich: chicken parm OR steak, cheese, mushrooms and onions OR chicken salad with sliced tomato...

hope everyone is having a great day - let's take it one day at a time kids and make this a good one!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #196

the feet are a chronic problem going on for decades.

i believe that going standing room at the opera for 20 years, and walking for many hours at a time for even more years (i hate exercise, but as walking was something I was able to do, i never considered it real exercise), i just used them up. i can walk (not as much as before), but i cannot stand for even a few seconds without pain. No surgery or any other non-invasive solution has worked. However, I still have unused fruit in the house. Early this morning, I had 1 very juicy grapefruit. Just now, I finished the strawberries. Better than cake, or M&Ms etc. Over time, I will cut down gradually on portion sizes. Fruit DOES cut the desire for the aforementioned goodies, AND they have vitamins and other micronutrients, which the "goodies" do not. Tomorrow I will either go to Marine Park or the Boardwalk in Bklyn, to do some walking. I have not made up my mind. Yes,I have. I am going to the park. FF
Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i am sorry to hear that your feet are such a problem - i knew they were trouble sometimes, but not such a constant source of pain...i agree with your strategy of doing what you can do...i definitely subscribe to the "use it or lose it" philosophy, having lost some of it myself...keep moving - just don't overdo it...moderate, regular exercise over a long period of time is more likely to maintain your mobility, than pushing yourself to the point of injury...

abi is probably packing her last minute thingies...hope the backstreet doesn't go belly-up on sunday without her :-)

brittany?...oh brittany?...
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

bye, abi!...have a great weekend and happy mother's day!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF....well, I've been on plan all week and now the dreaded weekend! I am committed to staying on plan this weekend. However, we are having a farewell dinner at the church for our Pastor and I am going to it. One meal shouldn't be too disasterous.

Have a great weekend and happy Mother's Day to all mother's out there
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

marilee, congrats on staying on plan all week - enjoy the dinner for your pastor this weekend - you earned it... :-)

i spent the day in maine rebuilding a picket fence that had fallen over this winter...it was a bigger job than i anticipated as the pickets had fallen off in places and needed to be repaired...lot of rotted posts, but no complaints as it lasted 20 years!

where's clanger?...vicki?...ff?...

i bet abs is in 7th heaven seeing her daughter and grandkids...

Last edited by tony8; 05-10-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Hey gang!

I am in seventh heaven, Tony. So glad to be here finally! They called Thurs. night at 10:30 to say our flight at 5:30 had been cancelled and we were now on the 11 am flight. That one by the time we got there had been delayed for 30 minutes. Then we get on the plane and taxi out to take off and they say Chicago was over cast and they could not find a spot yet where we could get in to land so we sat on the tarmac for one hour. Then when we get to Chicago our flight to Arkansas had been cancelled and the line to the service desk was a half mile long. Called sil and gave him the toll free number and he got us a flight at 5 to another airport in Missouri. That flight moved its departure time two times and finally left at 8 pm. Family met us in Springfield and then 1 hour drive to Carl Junction. Oh, by the way, our bags are still in Arkansas at the airport. So I am 4 for 4 with luggage being lost either on the way here or on the way home.

Will check back later to see how you are after I have some more coffee! Have a great Saturday all!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #202

I hope, Abi, that you and your luggage find each other.

by coincidence, i was watching AIRPORT, in the wee hours of the morning. I think I will take the bus. Well, today is the last day of the METOPERA season. the final broadcast is GOETTERDAEMMERUNG-TWILIGHT OF THE GODS. Most appropriate. Talk to y'all after it's all over. FF
Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Air travel sure isn't what it used to be. What a pain!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #204

i am in as good a mood as I have not been for a long time.

The final broadcast of the METOPERA of this season was miraculous. Everyone was in excellent voice as possible for each of them. I have only eaten a few oz of kraft extra sharp cheddar(at sale price of course-i love that red foil). That was 4 hours ago, maybe 5. No fruit in the house. Not hungry enough to commit to anything specific, but I am thinking pork chops. We shall see. Tomorrow, Amin is coming to clean (i have been putting aside some $). He is coming at 1 pm, so maybe, I will be able to get outside, if I wake up early enough, and actually get out of bed. I will also have to shave. I have 4 days growth...all white. I may volunteer as Santa Claus next Christmas. I sure do not need any padding. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all of you to whom it applies. FF_
Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

hey abs, so happy you made it there!...please tell me what airlines you use so i can avoid them!!! haha...i can't believe that you have lost bags 4 times - i don't think i ever had that happen...well, i bet it was all worth it...

it is 2:30 a.m. and i am still up...it was our son's junior prom tonight and he got home a little after 1, so i am still a little "wired"...emmy came home from school and we are meeting the in-laws in massachusetts somewhere for a mother's day lunch...

ff, it is so nice to see you happy - it's your nature, and you haven't seemed quite yourself lately...welcome back!...

hi marilee - i think your right about flights!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Tony, the airline starts with a U-----. But last year it was A------- and they lost our luggage too and I think the year before it was D---- so what can you do. My sil tells me every year to do what his grandfather used to do and mail our clothes out ahead of time. He never lost them! lol

We had a lovely day yesterday. The 10 year old had two great volley ball games and was the high scorer. DH went to the 13 year olds soccer game and the 15 year old drove me around the block to show how good a driver she is. The open house graduation party for the 18 year old was very nice. Now church this morning, graduation at 4 , a cookout and the weekend will be over for us. Hope we have an uneventful trip home!!

FF, you do sound very good. Getting up, shaving your pre santa beard and getting out of the house for awhile sounds like a good plan. Thought of you yesterday while I was munching on fruit at the party why you get so addicted to it. Had waaaay too much! Keeping it out of the house is the smart thing to do.

Marilee, how did the pastor's dinner go? Are you sad to see him go? I just saw on our pastor's facebook this morning that he is being transferred to Burlington on June 1st. He will be very much missed.

Hope we hear from Vicki and Clanger today. Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #207

did some pre-cleaningperson cleaning this a.m.

i am pooped.My (earth)mom used to do that before the cleaning lady came. On Ferenghinar, we get a prisoner from the labour camp to do it. i feel more robust, though, w/o the beard. Mon-Wed is predicted to be cooler and precipitation free, here in the soon to be BAKED APPLE. if i am not out of the house at least 2 of those 3 days....then, shame on me. i am in the process of making iced strawberry flavored ice tea. it is cooling now. This is for me and Amin. Last night, I ordered baby back ribs. By the time it came, I did not want anything really heavy. I just had the soup (the smallest container they have)which IS my fave-mushroom barley. Ergo, it is good that it was a very small serving. I also had the salad with 2 T of french dressing. For the rest of the evening into the night, I was drinking water, and diluted diet Snapple. So tonight I've got the ribs. I hope y 'all enjoy Mother's Day. FF
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

happy mother's day to the moms!...

abs, it sounds like you are having such a nice weekend...the kids must be so happy to have their g-rents around...as for airlines, i always fly southwest after going crazy with other airlines over the years...their flights are most often early and they have the whole thing down to a science...i know they don't fly everywhere though...

ff, great job showing restraint on the ribs - little decisions like that add up over time...when my mom was older and had a cleaning lady that came once every two weeks, she cleaned the house top to bottom before she got there...actually, she cleaned the house every day and didn't need a cleaning lady!...

we had a nice mother's day...met my in-laws in sturbridge and had lunch at cracker barrel - my lunch was breakfast food: 2 eggs and grilled pork chops...it's nice to meet them there as it is halfway between us (1 1/2 hours drive for each) and we can hang out on the porch before and after dinner and chat...the food is just okay, but for us, it's more about the visit than the food...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

abs, have a great trip home!...we miss you in nh... :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Tony! Heading to the airport down in Fayetteville, Arkansas in 30 minutes. Hope that we and our luggage will arrive in Hartford at 4:30 pm. Wish us luck!