Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Tony, are you maybe going to the Red Sox game? There will be some people from the plant there. They had 2 sets of tickets they were giving away. All you had to do was put your name in the hat and they were going to draw last night. 3 people on my team wanted them and today could be a busy day for those of left if they get to go. They will have to leave by 11 I think to make the drive, find parking ect.

Ok, so today is fast day #2. Already my plans are over 500 cal. Up to 570. I don't think I can cut it any more but I think under 600 will still do the trick. I will be having over the course of the day 3 hard boiled eggs, one teas. of mayo, one teas. of salad dressing, one cup of lettuce, two tablespoons cream, one tablespoon coconut oil and coffee.

I am only going to weigh after fast days.

Hope everyone has a good day. I will check back after work and let you know how today went.

Last edited by Abigale; 04-24-2013 at 01:10 AM..
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
just checking in. nothing new.

good luck with the 5:2. I will check back later. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

So far so good on keeping with the plan for today. I have one lonely little hard boiled egg to eat for dinner. Drinking a diet soda right now to sort of fill me up. But then tomorrow I can eat regular low carb and not have to worry too much about how many calories I am consuming.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abs, can't wait to hear how you did today...

weird thing this morning - i was meeting with the town planner in my parking lot and we were walking around and i went to take a step and my surgical leg almost gave out!...then it hurt with every step i took...

i'm not sure what it is - it is in/near the joint, but i'm thinking it may be a pinched nerve as opposed to any actual joint damage, but i can't be sure...

i took vincent to hit some golf balls this afternoon at the driving range and i was able to do that, but when i put weight on it, it hurts for the first time since the surgery...

obviously, my gym plans (i was gonna go after my meeting) got put on hold...

ff, tell us how you are spending your days...what happened with the pt job?...any prospects?...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abs, we posted at the same time! :-) congrats on making it through the day...try drinking a big glass of water before you eat your tiny meals on fast days - that always helps me...
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh Tony, hope all is well with the hip and it is just a pinched nerve. Those nerves can play havoc with us!

I have a hip that bothers me from time to time. I did some very strenuous work back in the 90"s for afew days and it bothered me for a year! I think at this point it reacts to carb inflammation. Last month after a carby day it ached so bad at night I had a hard time sleeping. It has been hurting again this week as I am coming off some high carb days. Hope sticking to this very low carb woe in afew days it will feel ok again.

I am actually liking this 5:2 and am considering a 4:3. If you had asked me a month ago if I would consider cutting my calories back to less than 600 I would have said no way, I can't do it. I read the JUDD forums alot and they are fascinating. I think on their up days if they are not keeping with lowcarb foods they are messing with their insulin levels and tampering with their health but they seem to have alot of success with losing weight.

I did weigh after both fast days so far this week and there was loss both days. I don't think it is fat yet, just water weight. When the clothes start to fit better I will begin to believe this is working for me.

Today I have a small salad, two hot wings and a hard boiled egg to bring to work. No counting calories today. I am measuring my cream, coconut oil and salad dressings now.

I will read all your posts when I get home after work today. Have a great day Blitzers!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abs, i really think this will work for you...cutting 3500 calories per week, below your maintenance level, will result in a 1 lb. loss...and for a woman, reducing calories to 500 two days a week and being "good" on the other days will give you that kind of weekly reduction...so it makes sense...

the trick is coming up with a strategy to accomplish that kind of reduction in calories that you can have fun with and stick with and this way is kind of fun and breaks up the boredom of daily restrictions, so i see the appeal...whether your body responds to the up and down thing is almost secondary to the process and a bonus!...good for you! :-)

i'm not sure what to do about this leg...my heart tells me to go to the gym and keep working it so i don't lose muscle tone, but my brain says rest makes more sense...if it is still hurting in a few days, i think i may make a pt appointment to get their opinion...

may take v to the fisher cats game this morning (10:30 start) and go out to dinner tonight with emmy...i will check in later...hope everyone has a great day!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, I think your brain is telling you the best idea - you should give your leg a couple of days rest. You should not lose any muscle tone in that amt of time. Then test it for any pain. If you still have some check with the pt.

Today went well. Had my coffee, two tbl of cream, 1 tbl of coconut oil, egg, two salads, 3 tbl of salad dressing, 1 tbl of mayo, 10 pork skins, two hot wings, and some deli turkey. Will probably do another fast day tomorrow. I read on one 5:2 forum that you are supposed to try to have 16 hours between your last regular meal and your first fast meal. That will not work for me. If I eat my last meal at 6pm I will still be having my first cup of coffee at 2;30/3 am with cream and coconut oil in it. And then an egg at 9 am. It seems to be working by doing that so I will keep it up.

Where is Marilee, Britt and FF today? Missing Vicki too!

I'll be back bright and early. Nite Nite Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 04-25-2013 at 03:10 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
I'm here - not much to report. I've been on plan, but the scale isn't moving much. That's ok - still stressed and depressed so as long as I'm on plan I'm happy. I know when your body is stressed it holds on to fat.

Tony, I'd take it easy on the leg for a while, like Abi said......
Gibby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #130

FF is here.

i believe, barring the unforeseen, that one day in the 1st week of May, I will make my AC pilgrimage. I want go there before it gets too hot. My Andrea Bocelli cd/dvd set of sacred arias finally arrived after 6 months on back order. It was worth the wait. It is the best musical experience since Sgt. Pepper (for me anyway). There are some selections on cd not on the dvd, and some on the dvd which are not on the cd. It was from a concert he gave in 1998. I really had to wipe my eyes. Some things are just too beautiful for the emotions to take in with a dry eye. I heartily recommend this. Talk to someone at the gym, Tony, before you put any more stress on that leg. I would see the Dr. too. FF
Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks, guys...

marilee, you're doing so well staying on plan under so much stress - i'm really proud of you...

you too, abs!...you are rocking this 5:2 plan!...keep it up and results are guaranteed!

ff, i hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather and getting out of the apt...how's your plan going?...

my leg hurt off and on today...went to a minor league game this morning and met emmy for dinner tonight with dw, two of my sons and one of their gfs...nice time - i had the steak :-)

it feels like a nerve to me - it's not like i injured it with some impact - it was fine and i took one small step and BOOM...i will see how i feel in the a.m. before deciding on the gym...i may try to dig a 10ftx10ftx8-inch pad for the hot tub we don't have yet...the darn excavator at the rental place is still broken and i am losing patience seeing a job that needs to be done and not doing it...

i'm an idiot and will probably be crippled by tomorrow night!...i'll keep y'all posted...
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Well Tony, we all do those kinds of things unfortunately. It's called impatience! We know you will be as careful as you can. Hoping that nerve or whatever works itself out today.

Marilee, keeping to your plan will bring you out of that depression quicker than falling into carb mania. We know that so well. Just keep on keeping on.

FF, Andrea Bocelli can bring a tear to my eyes too. He is marvelous! You are smart to get over to AC before the heat sets in!

Ok, I am going for day 3 of fasting. Will be having 3 hard boiled eggs today, some mayo, salad, coconut oil, 2 tbl of cream. Have not packed my breakfast and lunch yet but the eggs are cooked. Will weigh again tomorrow. Only weighing after fast days. I am still amazed I have been able to cut the calories to under 600 two days this week. Those eggs are a big help because they are filling and nutrient full.

Will report back after 4 today. Have a good day Blitzers!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good luck today, abs!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #134

i would love to be capable of some sort of fasting.

when I was in the fatherland for 3 weeks in 1983, it was so bloody hot during those 3 summer weeks in 1983 (The Wagner festival at Bayreuth is always in high summer), that I ate no solid food for 2 weeks. I finally caved, in Copenhagen waiting for the train to Vienna,and I wolfed down a "King Kong" burger. I had lost my peristalsis, and I got off the train in Nuernberg(as I was told afterward), and taken by the Red Cross to a NATO hospital for dehydration. I finally made it to Vienna. I had lost 30 lbs in 3 weeks. I put it all back in very quick time, after I got home. Except for the Ides of March, and Yom Kippur, I have not fasted since. I find it more difficult to eat a little, than nothing at all. Either way, I always put it back. But, next Wed or Thurs will be AC day. Looking forward to going home from there heavier than when I arrived, if you get my drift. Enjoy the weekend, all. FF
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

FF, we lived in Nuremburg for 3 years. One military hospital we could walk to. Wonder if it was the same one?

Tony, how is the hip feeling today? Hoping it is getting back to normal. Did you get your hot tub pad dug today?

Did well today and getting ready to eat my last hard boiled egg. Feel like I could eat everything in sight but going to resist it!

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i think there's an AC jackpot in your future!

abs, how was the last egg?...i hope you ate it slowly and savored it...think how good you're gonna feel when you step on the scale next time!...

marilee, hope you are feeling better today...thinking about you, girl...we are all happier when you are happy! :-)

the equipment rental place called me at 7 a.m.to tell me that now, not only was the arm on the excavator broken, but they blew the motor too!...enough of that!...i canceled the damn thing...

i am so stubborn, i went outside at 8 a.m. with a shovel, wheelbarrow, my truck and a pry bar and didn't come back inside until almost 6 p.m....my leg was sore off and on, but except for maybe two five-minute breaks, i worked digging and dumping and spreading and more digging all day long...i can't even believe i did what i did...

i'm a mental case...dw and sons didn't know i was out there for a couple of hours and almost died when they saw how much i had done when they came outside...it looks so good...i finished the digging and brought the dirt to other parts of the yard which now look good too!...

tomorrow, if i can stand up, i will get some loads of crushed stone to build a 6-8 inch base, and i will rent a compactor to level it off...then we will build a 10-by-10 deck on top of the leveled stone on which the hot tub will sit...

and btw, i didn't eat a morsel all day - just water until i had a salad at 6:15...just took a shower and am crashed on the couch...what a day!

what are everyone's plans for the weekend?

Last edited by tony8; 04-26-2013 at 03:48 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #137

oh, i am sure it is, Abi....

everyone, except the MD (who did not understand German)wore a uniform. When I was brought in, I did not know I was in an American(or Nato)hospital. After it was all over, I put all the pieces together on the train to Vienna. At Bayreuth, I got to meet and have a short conversation with one of the 4 grandchildren of Wagner-Friedelind. Regrettably, she died just 2 years afterward of liver cancer. She was only in her early 70s-and very charming and spunky. I have an 8 x 11 photo of she and I, taken by someone else with my camera. She was the black sheep of the family, because she hated Hitler, the *****, and what they stood for. Y'all can google the details. On my AC boardwalk walk, no doubt I shall be playing Wagner on my walkman. FF
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #138

oh, i forgot...new flavor explosion.

i get an iced coffee, then i freeze it solid (while the freezer still works. next year, i am getting my own fridge from Sears). Later, i take it out, and as soon as it begins to thaw, i hit it with my FAYGO diet chocolate soda. Most refreshing any time of year. I am sure it wouldwork with any brand of diet chocolate soda, if you can't get FAYGO. FF
Old 04-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

FF, I did google Friedelind Wagner. Very interesting. Quite a women! Your coffee and chocolate faygo concoction sounds delicious. I am going to try it when I come across some chocolate diet soda!

Tony, can you even move today? Amazing you were able to do all that physical labor. Just imagine a year ago being told you could do all that today! You will all enjoy that hot tub so much!

Well, I weighed today after my third fast day and I am down 4 pounds! Now I know this is just that glycogen/water loss thing going on but it sure is getting me motivated. I will eat regular low carb for the next two days and then go back to a Monday/Wednesday and maybe Friday fast again next week. I am craving some bacon and ground beef today and will make some more hot wings too. I won't weigh again until Tuesday.

Marilee, I always love your kitty avatars. Also I love your stats of not telling/ might tell/ and will shout it from the rooftop. lol You have a great sense of humor. Hope you are getting out of your depression. You are right about the stress causing us to retain fat. Vicki brought that to my attention last year about how it effects our cortisol.

Will check back later to see how everyone is doing today.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #140

stress increases cortisol in the bloodstream. &

cortisol inhibits weight loss. we know this, but sometimes knowledge is not king. today was Handel's Giulio Cesare. Before the overture concluded, I was thinking: "Wagner? Wagner who? The magnificent Mr Handel has that effect on me. This was an uncut version, lasting nearly 4 hours without the intermission time. I am as loose as creamed corn. I have not even thought about the pension today. Tomorrow, I shall be out for a while. I must get an anniversary card for (earth) bro and sis-in-law. It will be 27 years for them, in May. FF
Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, abs!...you earned every one of the 4 lbs. you lost!...way to get the losses going, girl!

you had me scrolling back looking for a new post from marilee - which wasn't there :-) marilee, i miss you!

ff, happy to hear you are emerging from the funk those idiots put you into...that coffee/soda recipe does sound yummy...does the soda melt the coffee?...isn't the coffee still partially a block of ice?...hmmm...

today, i woke up stiff and sore, but i went outside anyway at 8 a.m. and worked out there until after 7 p.m....the boys helped me and pad is done - it looks great...now we have to build a deck and then have the hot tub delivered and hooked up...hopefully, we finish the deck this week...

i can hardly walk right now but am hoping i can move enough to go to the gym tomorrow...i may make an appointment with the PT for tuesday if she can see me...

had a greek yogurt for breakfast at 7:30 and a five guys burger at 8 p.m. - that's all i ate all day...
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Good going on the pad Tony! You will have to take some pictures of before and after it is all done! I bet you could use that hot soak right now with those sore muscles! I hope after my fast on Monday it won't show I have put those 4 pounds back on!

Yesterday I had some homemade hot wings, deli turkey, cheese, sour cream dip with pork rinds, eggs and bacon. Did not count calories but they were on up there.

Breakfast at the Backside this morning with my usual bacon and two scrambled eggs. Sister from Walpole may join us again as her DH has to go to Kentucky today to make sure starting gate is good to go. He came home from Chile last Monday sick so hope he is feeling good now.

Talk to you all later!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abs, how do you make your hot wings?

so far, all i've done today is walk to the bathroom - i'm definitely gimpy, but still able to walk...now i'm debating the gym...

will be back later...hope everyone has a great day - we are enjoying a stretch of PERFECT weather in new england - several consecutive days of sunny, 70-degree weather...i love it!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

didn't make it to the gym...on the way out to the car, my leg gave out and i almost fell...it's very intermittent though, so i really think it's a nerve...returned the compactor and hit a few golf balls with ds...now dw and ds and i are heading out to find something to do...maybe lunch on the coast...

hope y'all are having a great day!

Last edited by tony8; 04-28-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #145

yes, Tony, it is still mostly a block of ice...

which means it will last longer. i am in the process of reverting to my summer beveridge choices, which call for all iced cold liquids, plain water being ATLEAST 50% of the drinking du jour, and usually more. Right now, I am sucking on a 2 litre sized ice water. I shall not buy any more crystal ice/crystal lite. I will just use up what is left. My romance with those is over. I WILL get more diet SNAPPLE, but to stretch my beveridge dollar, I will pour it into a 2 litre container, and add plain water or seltzer. On a sweltering day, it will be most refreshing, even though it is diluted. The joy of eating is not what it was even a week ago. I will be much more judicious the next time I go food shopping. I really must be cautious about the quantity of fruit I bring indoors. Fruit is EXTREMELY addictive to me. There is a produce store near the bank. The $$$ are quite reasonable, and that induces me to buy more than I should. I am totally inert after a fruit orgy. I will be more careful in the future (meaning tomorrow)about that as well. I will probably go to AC on Thursday. The forecast looks good. All your hopes for a big win. Of course, that is not the PRIME reason I go, but it would be nice. I won't say it would not be nice. FF
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, praying this leg giving out is a nerve problem! Hope you had a nice lunch on the coast yesterday. Did you have a view of the ocean? Really miss living on the Gulf of Mexico.

FF, would love to see you win big in AC!!

Well it is Monday and I am starting the week with a fast of less than 600 calories. Just can't trim it to the 500 that the 5:2 plan calls for. Will have 1 cup of salad, 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 tbl of mayo, 1 tbl of coconut oil, and 2 tbl of cream and 4 cups of coffee over the day. I will weigh tomorrow to see what damage I did yesterday. I had bacon and eggs, cheese, rib eye steak, large salad, several cups of coffee with cream.

Have a great Monday blitzers and keep on keepin on!

Last edited by Abigale; 04-29-2013 at 02:36 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, my biggest downfalls come at the market, which only set me up to fail at home...when we choose what goes into the carriage, we are really choosing whether we plan to stay on some kind of healthy plan or not...if fruit is your vice, it is not a horrible vice at all...just don't overdo it...i limit my quantity at shopping time to a few items - maybe some strawberries, blueberries and green bananas - or maybe a pear and an apple or a cantaloup...then i make them into small snacks - 1/2 apple, 4 small cantaloup cubes, etc...it sure is better than wolfing down chips or cookies! :-)

abs, we did go out to the ocean - played frisbee at hampton beach and then grabbed a lobster roll at the "beach plum" - awesome!...it was only 55 at the ocean and 70+ at home but girls were still in bikinis - which kept me playing frisbee a little longer...haha!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning, fellow Blitzers! I believe I have turned a corner in the grieving process. Yes, I'm sad, but I'm no longer non-functional.

I got on the scale - faced the music again - and am starting with new resolve.

Tony, I hope you get your leg checked out, just to confirm that it is nerve and what they can do about it.

Abi, I give you credit for your "fasting" diet. I believe I saw a program about it on PBS - some guy in England tested it and it workef for him. I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

We hit our first 100 degree day on Saturday so "the heat is on"......

I'll check back in later. I really must get caught up on the posts.

Marilee
Gibby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great to have you back, marilee...you are an integral part of this little blitz-machine we have here...i hope you know that...grieving takes time and is unique to each person, so you just have to allow yourself to feel what you feel...when my mom died, it was hard - thankfully, i was blessed with this defense mechanism that allowed me to think about her and the good times, but disengage my mind when i started to think about never seeing her again and that depressing sense of loss...it still happens to me now, 6 1/2 years later...it's like i can feel the depression coming, but before it takes hold of me, i seem to be able to just NOT GO THERE...

it is tough losing parents, no matter their age - it feels like they are your connection to the planet, so when you lose them, you feel a little less tethered to the ground...i'm so sorry that ff, abs and you have all lost a parent since i've known you, and i lost my mom a few years before the first blitz...

called my pt today and waiting for a call back to see when they can see me about my leg...the pain and weakness is weird and sporadic...it's been off and on at work today...

speaking of work, ff, is the part-time job idea off the table?...you have so much to offer and are so social - it's a shame if you don't find an outlet for that...

have a great day guys!

p.s. marilee, try not to MELT!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #150

not OFFICIALLY off the table...but

i have other fish to fry first.Also, i am not so ambitious now as i was then. OVER-DOING it food wise is why i am in the shape i am in. i do not stay controlled long enough before the OVER-DOING kicks in. Staying out of the house is the best solution to my problem, even if it is merely to sit on the bench outside, drinking ice water or ice what you will, and watching the cars go by. That is still an improvement of being upstairs dialing for delivery. I hope the leg situation is succesfully resolved. FF