Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, we had some chickens once that my sister had named and Dad butchered. He said he took them all to Grandpa's house to put in his freezer but I suspect we did end up eating them all eventually.

Hey twin Tony, tuna again today for lunch. I put in some lettuce in the bottom of container, than a scoop of tuna, and a dollop of mayo on top. I find that I like it better if the mayo is not mixed in with the tuna and I mix as I go. I know, I'm strange. lol

Glad it is Friday! We are working on a grouping of candles that we will not run anymore after this batch. My group is not sad about that.

It has been over a week now since DH's epidural and he says he is no better. I guess he will talk to his reg. Dr. about what to do next. I really don't know how he will make the trip to Missouri on May 10th with all the walking through airports and parking lots etc. I know he won't let me push him in a wheelchair. Time will tell I guess.

Wondering where Britt is keeping herself? Oh, Britt???

Hope you all have a great Friday!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abs, you are strange when it comes to your tuna...i like a lot of mayo, mixed in...i think there is still a small scoop left in the fridge, but yesterday i made some delicious white meat chicken salad, so i will top today's salad with that...

hope your hubby feel some relief soon...is he scheduled for surgery or trying to avoid it?

ff, the pig's name was "ice cream" and he was well fed!...his ribs were yummy...my 11-year-old niece raised him and was not happy when he was sent off to the butcher, but my bil thought it would be good for her to learn about where food came from...i would have had 5 vegetarians on my hands if i had done that with my kids :-)

every time britt is missing for a few days, i worry about the boy not finding what he is craving in the fridge... :-)

speaking of craving, i've been craving fried chicken and may grab some popeye's tonight...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 04-19-2013 at 04:34 AM..
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
my fave tuna experience was junior high

i never cared for tuna prior to that...we were a canned salmon family, especially when(earth)mom made salmon croquettes. those tuna heros at junior high were 35 cents (1964/1965 dollars). somehow it was not quite the same afterwards. i am in fairly decent mood. i know things will somehow be rectified, IN TIME, but how much time....there's the rub. I hope they catch that terrorist before he does something desperate (aka violent). My instincts tell me he won't go quietly. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

I have been reading some about the 5:2 diet. Here is a quote from the New York Times about it -

"the 5:2 diet is five days of eating and drinking whatever you want, dispersed with two days of fasting.

A typical fasting day consists of two meals of roughly 250 to 300 calories each, depending on the person’s sex (500 calories for women, 600 for men). Think two eggs and a slice of ham for breakfast, and a plate of steamed fish and vegetables for dinner.

It is not much sustenance, but the secret to weight loss, according to the book, is that even after just a few hours of fasting, the body begins to turn off the fat-storing mechanisms and turn on the fat-burning systems. "

Dr. Michael Mosley, a medical journalist wrote the book "The Fast Diet" after putting himself through intermittant fasting for a BBC documentary. Going to do a little more research on this concept. Reminds me of the Fast Five I tried a couple of years ago but this sounds more doable. I would never get into the "eat whatever you want" on the 5 days. That would spell disaster for me. It would be lc like I try to do now with a certain number of calories for 5 days and drop to 500 on two days not back to back.

Will check back later after you all get up and going!

Last edited by Abigale; 04-20-2013 at 12:26 AM..
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Good morning. I'm so glad that the situation is Boston is over....there is so much healing to be done, but we are strong.

Yesterday was a bad day - very weepy and drained emotionally and physically. I'm feeling much better today, which is a good thing. The house is a mess and the cupboard is bare - I didn't do one thing last week except clean the litter box and feed the cats. It's time to take care of business.

I have been stress eating and, to be honest, I haven't put any other pressure on myself except to make it through the week and do a good job at the office. After I go to the store and get some food in the house, I'll be back on plan.

Have a great day today. I'll TTYL

Marilee
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

marilee, it sounds like you took a very reasonable approach to dealing with all you've been through this past week...good luck at the grocery store :-)

abs, 3:21 a.m.???...really???...thanks for sharing the 5:2 diet...sounds interesting - are you gonna try it?...

be back in a bit...
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #97

MOST GRATEFUL...

that the Fates belied my instincts. I only hope that THE SUSPECT suffers a very bad accident. I do not believe in mercy for criminals. I wish you, Abi, every success with the 5:2 plan, and everyone else who wishes to try it. My goal is to eat ONLY when hungry, and (here is the real challenge)to stop when I am no longer hungry. Last week, I went fruit crazy, which is why I brought very little into the house (as compared to what I wanted to bring). Just finished listening to SIEGFRIED, the 3rd part of Wagner's Ring Cycle. As good as it gets with Wagnerian singing these days.You may notice, I am in a better mood lately. Feeling sorry for oneself is an aspect of self-indulgence. It weighs one down in every sense of the word. Talk to y'all later. FF
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, I agree. I don't believe in mercy either. And now, if he survives, he will cost us to feed and house him.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Blitzers!

Marilee, so glad you are feeling better this weekend. Hope you got your cupboards restocked!

FF, wish I could manage to eat only when hungry and stop when I am not. It is a never ending battle.

Tony, I am interested in the 5:2 but not sure I can go as low as 500 calories 2 days a week. Am kicking around some food choices which would give me more bulk for fewer calories like salads with a couple of hard boiled eggs thrown in. I will keep you all posted if I try this.

My younger sister is going to try to meet us for breakfast this morning. Her DH is in Chile right now installing some new starting gates that he constructed over the winter with my nephew. I'm sure he will have some interesting stories to tell us when he gets home.

Hope you all have a great Sunday. I will check back later!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

abs, does your bil build starting gates for horses?...dogs?...did he work at hinsdale when it was open?...btw, is the track still there and what is it used for?...did you have an omelet this morning?...

ff, happy to see you feeling better...

marilee, good to see you, girl...how did the shopping go?...

before they caught the bombers, my feeling was that they should just execute whoever did it...but for some reason, i seem to be incapable of feeling hatred...so, although i won't lose any sleep over what happens to this murderer, i could not be the one to execute him...i'm not saying i will enjoy paying for his life in prison though (if that's what he gets) but i'll do it :-)

lazy day today...i'll fill ya in on what i did later, if i do anything...ha!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, bil builds starting gates for horses only. It is a company that his father and another man started years ago. If you ever read the book Seabiscuit his dad's name is mentioned in it. I don't know if it was in the movie or not. The hinsdale track is still there but is empty and the land is for sale. Interested? lol
I cleaned out our 4 garden boxes for DH today. It would be hard for him to do now. Going to see how long it takes him to notice it. Ha Ha

Catch the other sleepy heads later!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

didn't do much today - a little yard work and hung out with dw and the kids...emmy came home from school with her bf and spent the afternoon which was nice...

skipped breakfast, had salad for lunch and some chinese food for dinner...dw and son are on school vacation this week and we will mix in some work with some play...

hope everyone had a great sunday...what the heck happened to brittany???
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

my goodness!...i just noticed what time it is!...abi will be posting within the hour!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Ha Ha, I could have but have been fixing my lunch and looking at facebook etc.

Did a quick calorie count to see what my plans to eat today would come to. Boy, I am sure I cannot do a 500 calorie day. We shall see. It is the 4 to 6 pm time that I always go off the deep end.

Anyway, I am trying to cut way back on cream in my coffee - ick. Measuring my salad dressing and counting my pork skins instead of mindlessly eating them. A big bag of salad is only 120 calories for the whole bag and I have some cooked drumlettes with franks wing sauce on them. Have only packed one with my salad.

I shall try to post between 4 and 6 and see if I can get through the bewitching hours.

Have a great Monday Blitzers!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlondieBlue
Stats: 208.4/200.8/199
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2012- restarting 1/29/2013
I have not fallen victim to midnight cannibalism...

I was feeling a little low and unsure of myself and my choices with job and life and here forward when I posted last 2 weeks ago, and now all I can say is, I'm so sorry to Marilee and Vicki. I wish I could have offered you my support and words of encouragement and foolishly, I wasn't feeling up to even opening my computer because it reminded me of work that I was no longer doing. I'm so so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm regretful for it. I hope he lived a beautiful life, full of love and laughter, and memories that you can both cherish and pass down to other generations that were not blessed with being able to know him as you both knew him.

I've always been a worker type of person so to have no work, even of my own devices, leaves me a bit bored and ego struck. Boy and I have saved our goods for years and decided that the time off would be good and hopefully fruitful for me, but it still makes me feel horrible to even think to myself, "you do not have a job." I'm contemplating applying at a coffee shop simply to have my day occupied while I evaluate what it is that I really am meant to do. Call it a mid-mid-life crisis. In the mean time my house has never been more clean and organized. I have a hardware to-do list involving bath tub caulking and garbage disposals. But I'm not doing it all at once, lest I get bored with no further projects...

Maybe I should start a typing/dictation service for high school and college kids, as I've been in the dark typing this for several minutes. (begin grammatical error hunt...NOW!)

AI is really getting down to the wire, its going to be the ones predicted at the start, but I am slightly disappointed in there being no males left. They add a certain pitch quality to the dynamic of the show. Also- the following- almost over!!! what?! and this will be the last season of Dexter in June???

Does anyone here have Netflix? Hemlock Grove is their 2nd original series... pretty good, but I'm on episode 7 of 14 and I'm still not sure what the show is about...which means this show is really horrible or really really good!

<<I like that we have a new bumblebee emoticon

much love to you all
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Britt! Great to hear from you! I think getting a job at the local coffee shop while you decide what to do next is a great idea. You have a wonderful personality that should be shared with others and not cooped up in your home all day!

I did not know we had that new bumblebee emoticon. How cute is that!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Britt, thank you so much for the kind words. I totally understand where you are coming from....just know that you were missed.

I agree with Abi about working at the coffee shop. I think it would help boost your spirits.

Well, gang, I got on the scale this morning for the first time in two-weeks (I figured it was time to face the music) and I got an entire concerto! I gained all but 2 of the pounds back since I started back on February 15th. So, with new resolve, I'm back on plan.

I'll check back in later.

TTFN

Last edited by Gibby; 04-22-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Marilee, I am 12 pounds more than I was a year ago. I am trying my darndest today to keep to under 600 calories and give this 5:2 diet a chance. This is the hardest time of day until 6 pm so wish me luck.

Tomorrow I am supposed to eat up to around 2000 I think which is what a regular day is supposed to be. Need to double check on that. The second fast day can be any time during the week. So it is very much like Judd except easier with only 2 fast days.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

love the bumblebee!...and very happy to have you back, britt...we missed you - i know i did!...

i'm like you when it comes to work - i've always been a very hard worker and after i sold my business, i had no schedule and the freedom to do whatever i wanted...most people would LOVE that, and even though i had earned everything i had, i actually felt a bit guilty that i didn't have to work so hard anymore...

i couldn't get used to it, so i bought a building that needs my attention, and am undertaking a hundred different projects so i never sit still...then i'm filling any gaps with my work as a songwriter...so i understand how you feel...

all i can say is that you have worked hard to put yourself in a position to have this freedom - enjoy it and use it to search your heart to figure out what kind of work will make you happy...if you want to work at a coffee shop in the interim, do it, but don't feel bad or beat yourself up - you are a very talented, intelligent young woman with a happy, productive life ahead of you! :-)

it was gym day today and i had a good workout after having the weekend off...i like my current regimen so far...

today:
b: skipped
l: chicken and veggie stirfry
d:?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

marilee, congrats on being two lbs. lighter than you were in february!...that's the way to look at it!

abs, have dh tie you up til 6...
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #111

very laid back today.

i will be paying a visit tomorrow to my former place of employment. the "entity" is expected there at high noon. Perhaps he will be able to expedite a quicker processing of my claim, and get me back my med coverage quickly. we shall see. i sometimes think i am winnin the battle for CONSISTENT portion control. It is not good to be successful one day, and pig out the next. FF
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

ff, good luck tomorrow...is there any paper-trail for what this guy told you regarding your retirement and health insurance?...e-mails?...notes?...if so, hang onto them...if not, were there any witnesses to what he told you?...what they have done is a very serious infraction...hope it gets straightened out quickly...

abs and marilee, i just wanna say that i am so proud of you both for working so hard to change things up to get results...your dedication to reaching your goals really is inspirational...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the pep talk Tony! I need all the help I can get!

Phew, got through fast day by the skin of my teeth. Next fast day will include some very filling hard boiled eggs! I think I had less than 600 calories. I found this today - "On the plan, you eat normally for five days a week – women consume 2,000 calories and men 2,500 a day – and then restrict your calorie intake for the other two days (500 calories a day for women and 600 for men).

I rarely eat 2000 calories but have been eating insulin raising foods which are keeping the fat locked into my cells and creating more fat. I am estimating so far I will have about 750 calories today before dinner but will try to up that to a total of 2000 for the day. Will probably do my second fast day tomorrow and keep it to 500. I keep reading reports that this really works although it is not fast - one pound a week is average. Today is free lunch and they are ordering pizza. I will have the tops off two and have a small salad packed.

FF, hope your talk with the "entity" has some good results!!!!

Have a wonderful day all!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #114

Britt-good luck to you re: employment.

the coffee shop job sounds exciting from my point of view. if i were physically up to it, i would be drowning in tips, as i, being a coffee shop kind of guy, would be most solicitous of the customers needs. Tony, and whoever else is interested in guitars: last night on the Antiques Road Show, this lady had a 1944 Martin D-28 acoustic guitar. She said she paid anywhere from $250.00 to $500.00. It was appraised at (ready for this?)$35,000 to $45,000. OMGs!!! I can't wait til the ARS comes to the Big Apple. I have a toothpick made from the branch of a tree which grew from George Washington's nose on Mt. Rushmore. It must be worth something! FF
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
I have a toothpick made from the branch of a tree which grew from George Washington's nose on Mt. Rushmore. It must be worth something! FF
ff, you are too funny!

Tony, thanks for the props, but I feel like a failure because I'm still at this battle. The good news is, the scale showed a 2 pound loss this morning, so hopefully what I gained will come off quickly and then some.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

FF, you really are a card! How did your meeting go today?

Marilee, I know that feeling of frustration and failure. When I fall off the wagon I wonder if I will ever be able to get a handle on my eating again. But hope springs eternal and I am hoping this 5:2 plan may get me motivated.

I can't believe I said I never eat 2000 calories. The tops off those meat lovers pizza slices today had to be close to that. They were loaded with meat and cheese! So only a big bowl of salad for dinner and a diet drink and get away from the kitchen as soon as possible.

I boiled some eggs today so tomorrow I will attempt fast day #2. Will try to keep it at 500 calories this time. I think the eggs will be much more filling than just salads and easy to compute calories. Will figure the menu out in the morning.

Have a pleasant evening blitzers!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #117

just broke a new record for how many strawberries eaten in 1 sitting.

i told y'all about my fruit lust. i saw these texas sized babies and could not say no. i left 4 over for tomorrow. i saw the "entity". he assured me that he DID send the info at the end of jan. He e-mailed the office in front of me. he told me he would call me when they e-mailed their reply. The good news is that my soc sec benefit was in my account just when the federales said it would be. that bought me a month. I WILL be able to do AC and the steak, pay my rent and utilities....IF i survive the strawberries. i better leave the commode door open, and have some good reading material in there. it's gonna be a long, long night. FF
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

FF, fantastic that your ss check showed up in your account and they are not going to throw you into the street. Hope the entity calls you shortly with more good news. Thank goodness fruit does not lure me. I have so many other things that do. Hope your night is relatively uneventful!

Just came across this article on how healthy strawberries are FF.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...IGRRjs.twitter

Last edited by Abigale; 04-23-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #119

Dr Atkins emphasizes berries as low in carbs (for fruit)

and high in anti-all the bad stuff. However, he does ask us to watch our portion sizes with anything that contains even good carbs. I will not repeat this fruit binge anytime soon. In all the pension frenzy, i had completely forgotten about today's birthday....not mine, but William ShaKESPEARE'S-4/23/1564. Please see my thread in the PLAYGROUND. FF
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

hey kids!...

marilee, congrats on another 2 lbs...now you've lost 4 lbs since february - i'm betting in a few more days, you'll be averaging 1/2 lb. per week rate of loss since feb and that is very healthy!

abs, i'm so proud of you for making it through your fast day, that is a great accomplishment!...i bet the first one is the hardest!..

ff, i'm so happy that you got your ss check - you earned it!...i hope there is still ss when the rest of us retire...

had a busy day at work - met with officials at town hall to go over details of a new sign i want to put in front of the building...then did some work there that needed to be done...

tomorrow is supposed to be a gym day, but after a work meeting in the morning, it may be a golf and baseball game with my son...might be