Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
I'm here. Not much to report. Saturday was a total wash - I don't know the name of the muscle that goes down your hip and into your butt, but somehow I managed to pull it badly on Friday - I don't remember doing anything that would cause it - I guess that aging for you - thankfully, I guess, it was the same side as my bad knee. I didn't sleep well at all Friday - couldn't get comfortable in any position in either the recliner or the bed. Finally took a pain pill, which I hate doing, and dozed off. Got up Saturday morning in a lot of pain and wound up using my walker and not lifting that leg very much. Took aspirin and then an otc pain medicine and just sat around doing nothing. And, then a miracle happened! I got up Sunday morning - no pain - either knee or hip. I was able to walk without limp, I could bend my knee totally forward and back. Yea!

Anyway, I got way behind on chores - didn't make it to the grocery store. I didn't do too much - didn't want to throw things out of whack again. So far, so good today.

Abi, I'm sorry your dh is having trouble with his legs. If you told us what was wrong, I must have missed it. What is the issue with his legs?

ff, I couldnt survivie without AC - 116 on Friday. Where are those eggs that need frying???

Tony, so proud of you and all the effort you are going to for the wedding. I'm so happy things are coming together for you.

Arte, veggie ketosis is like an oxymoron I am working on starting a more "vegetarian" diet. I can't wait to make my smoothies and nutrient drinks. I'm off next week so I plan on implementing things then.

Hi Vicki!!!!!!

Well, better get to work. TTYL

Marilee
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #452
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey marilee, thanks for the kind words - i appreciate it...wow, that was quite a thing with your leg...so happy that the pain disappeared as quickly as it arrived - weird...keep us posted on the smoothie and nutrient drinks - sounds like a good idea...what kind of smoothie maker do you have?...

abs, i bet you are so excited about your daughter and her family...so the bbq is on sat and then will they come down to your house to stay on sat night?...how long will they be able to stay?...

good day today...worked early and then ds and i hit the pool for an hour...he will be working for me this summer and his last day of school was friday, so i am giving him a few days off as a break before he starts...lots to do at the building and here...

i have a planning board meeting tonight, to try to get approval for the new sign...i have earned a lot of political capital in that town, so i'm hoping things go as smoothly as they have so far...

today:
b: watermelon
l: salad
d: ?

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, I recently purchased a Nutri-Bullet. The makers of Magic Bullet now have this one. I'ts still in the box, but I can't wait to make something. In addition to the instruction manual with recipes in it, the TV offer came with a BIG book full of information and lots of recipes for nutri-drinks for different ailments. I want to try the one for female hormones "just because". There is a mix for male hormones - I better pick the right one!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #454
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i used a walker today, Gibby.

i sure hope it is temporary for the both of us. My MAGIC BULLET is still in the box. I intend to open it in November. And now for the continueing saga of FFs pension. I had my 'form' notarized and faxed at the bank. I have the originals. I called the union this a.m. In 4 weeks from today I will have a 5 month check plus interest. If not, I have the goods on them, and can litigate. I hope that will not be necessary. Meanwhile, I have the AC going. Stay cool, and drink lots of cool/cold water. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #455
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, that will be July 22nd. We will be counting the days with you! Sorry you are having to use the walker right now.

Marilee, glad your muscle problem straightened out! DH has spinal stenosis. His MRI shows two disks pressing into his spinal column. They tried a spinal epidural shot of a steroid in April that did not help. He has had constant pain in his legs for six months now. Now this past week he had two pain free days, then pain was back. Now yesterday he said no pain again. I am glad he is getting some relief off and on now.

Inventory went well yesterday. We got the candle shop all done and now are working on the floor of the Country Barn inventorying the toys. That's fun! We still have the country items floor to do and then the basement level which is the Christmas shop. Nice and air conditioned too!

Tony, the kids will stay until Sunday or early Monday morning before coming to our house. It will depend on whether son in law can get up to the lake. Poor guy, never gets much of a vacation and this was going to be the first year in a long time that he was going to be able to relax for a few days without having to work too. Still don't know when they will do the biopsy of his mom's pancreas lesion.

Made some mini muffins yesterday. It is actually a low carb carrot cake recipe. 50 cal each and 3 carbs. I left out the carrots, the nuts, the frosting and only made half a recipe. Taste good like a spice cake.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cipe-pick.html

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by Abigale; 06-25-2013 at 02:27 AM..
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

abs, i'm hoping that lesion is nothing....i think it's a very good sign that your hubby's pain has become intermittent as opposed to constant...to me, that indicates some sort of healing is taking place...

ff, why the walker?...what was hurting and do you know what caused it?...hope you join marilee today in not needing the walker!...congrats on the pension - we will have two things to celebrate that day as it is sarah's birthday too! :-)

tonight the whole family (minus sarah) and three of the kids bf/gfs will be attending the matchbox 20/goo goo dolls concert in manchester...we saw matchbox 20 some years ago at mohegan sun and it was one of the best concerts i ever saw...we were on our feet for two hours...that was back when i could do that!...i'm just hoping it isn't 150-degrees in that arena tonight!...

hope everyone has a great day and has somewhere to cool off!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I watched the "Under the Dome" premier last night - I'm hooked!!!! Did anyone else watch it?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #458

it is only 3 paces from the computer to my bed.

the difference is about 30 degress F, cooler by the bed. ergo, i am spending only a few minutes at this site. as this Blitz is coming to an end, I must say it went better than some previous Blitzes. I am eating less, being mindful of putting down the fork when i am full, and saving the rest for later. I will continue to believe that things will improve, especially by the time Oct is over. With any luck, Sept will be cool. FF
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #459
Major LCF Poster!

marilee, i meant to check it out, but forgot!...i'll try to catch it on demand if you say it is that good :-)

ff, that's 10-degrees per pace!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Well, kids made it to Cleveland at 8:30 last night after a 15 hour drive. Don't even want to know how much the 15 year old got to drive. So today they will drive to Canaan, New Hampshire. Another day of worrying.

We finished inventory at the Country Barn at 2 so went back to the plant, covered with Christmas glitter to run some candles. It felt good to get back to a normal routine.

Had a pretty low carb day but still not able to get back into the 2 days a week fasting. Will try to do that after the kids go back home on the 6th.

Have a good day all and as FF says, drink those fluids!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #461
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Sitting in hospital surgery waiting room. FIL in surgery. Making the best food choices possible in the cafeteria.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
marilee, i meant to check it out, but forgot!...i'll try to catch it on demand if you say it is that good :-)

ff, that's 10-degrees per pace!
It is THAT good! I love Stephen King and this is a great show. Don't worry, it's has a strange premise, but there isn't anything weird like the Shining. Lots of interesting characters and subplots.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"Under the Dome" airs on Mondays on CBS.

BTW, you can watch the pilot episode Sunday night. You can also watch it on the CBS's website. I highly recommend watching the pilot so you will know what's going on.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #464

Tony, I suspect that you are the math whiz in your town.

i still cannot figure out the cause of the the rt leg pain. I walk like Frankenstein's monster w/o the walker. Tomorrow, I shall try the cane. It changes from minute to minute. Is it because I am an offworlder? FF
Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

ff, did you get your medical insurance worked out?...you might want to have that leg checked out...mysterious leg pain that virtually immobilizes you could be serious, i.e. blood clot...don't want to alarm you, but don't want you to end up in worse shape either...we love ya, buddy! :-)

abs, i have decided that having children is a lifetime license to worry...that's why we have them when we are young and don't know what we are getting ourselves into!...you probably can use a break from the fasting, so enjoy the kids visit and revisit your plan after they leave...

vicki, sorry to hear about your fil - hope it went well...

marilee, i will definitely watch it...sounds good - i love steven king too!

busy busy busy today...gym in the a.m. tomorrow, and then another long day of work...getting lots done and it feels great!...

stay strong kids!

Last edited by tony8; 06-26-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #466
Blabbermouth!!!

FIL was in surgery from 7:30 until around 1 or so. He went to ICU and we didn't see him until around 4. Due to BP, he was in recovery longer. He had chemo and radiation for rectal cancer within the past 6 months. Tumor was still there. He had a colon resection with a permanent colostomy placed. In hospital for a week or more. I did ok in cafeteria, it was in the ICU waiting room that bad food was available.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, so sorry your father in law had to go through all that. Do they feel that the colon resection will get rid of all the cancer? Sure hope so. Glad the cafeteria had some good choices for you.

Tony, I keep thinking about the "Emmy" song you wrote. Have you thought about singing it at the reception?

FF, I think you should have that leg problem checked too. It could be similar to DH's spinal stenosis problem. His is coming and going now and he still can't stand for long periods without pain. He bought himself a bike yesterday. One of the old style with the comfortable seat. He needs to keep his knees and hips exercised and sitting in a recliner most of the day is not good. He also needs to lose about 30 pounds.

The kids called as they drove by our area heading north on 91 to my sister's. They did not stop because they were exhausted from two days of driving. They got to her house at 6:30 last night. So I finally got to sleep around 10 when my nerves calmed down. lol

Wishing you all a great day!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #468
Blabbermouth!!!

Guess what I have been doing; I have gone back through the threads that I primarily posted on and went way back to spring 2009 when I was low 160's. I read most every post I wrote and noted that in late 2010 I started my way back up the scale to where I am today.

I was always trying some "new" plan and even revisited a couple over again. I was also going to TOPS initially but that went by the wayside too.

So, what did I learn from all of this??? Don't know, other than I know what to do. I don't need to read anymore frickin books or diet plans. I just finished scanning a book I borrowed for the Kindle app. on the iPad "Think Yourself Thin" expecting I was going the read something "new". Well, guess what, there wasn't anything new, surprise, surprise.
DuH

I am not here to tell you that today is a new day, etc. I am just sharing whatever that may be. No new insight or lightning bolts or anything like that.

So, where do I go from here, who knows. Therapy is tonight, and another day will be gone.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vicki, I'm with you....I'm so close to throwing out every diet book I have and just start eating sensible, balanced, portion-controlled meals. Since I've been "dieting", I've gained 150 pounds - something is wrong.

How's your fil?????
Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #470
Blabbermouth!!!

Paul (FIL) was sitting up in the chair today. they are keeping him another night in ICU then he will be transferred to a reg room tomorrow. Ice chips for now. We were there an hour from 1-2 then we left and told the nurses to not allow visitors until 5 so he could nap. Not sure if he has. I am home now and Brian and his bro are still there. Brian's kids and ex will be stopping by around 5.

I hear you Marilee. I think they call that mindful eating, or moderation. I think as long as any food that is eaten is as close to its natural state (God made), then it is ok. Now, there may be some variation to legumes, starchy veggies and grains, but, for the most part, why not enjoy nature made foods. This would include animal protein and good fats too.

Last edited by vli1127; 06-27-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

wow, vicki, i am sorry about your fil too - that's an ordeal!...hope he recovers soon and has some peace...

i agree with you guys about the dieting cycle - common sense moderation is the best way to get to a healthy weight and stay there...because all of us have struggled developing a "healthy relationship with food", i think we have tried to find creative ways to achieve that moderation...but it does get tiring, doesn't it?...

my advice is to achieve that moderation in the most painless way possible as happiness is the most important thing after all...if you can do it without a "diet", i think that is best...if you need more structure, try different plans and change them up...personally, i've never lost any weight without following some kind of restrictions, but that's just me...and i am rarely, if ever, as restrictive as many of the plans i hear about...

in the end, the best approach for each of us is "whatever works!" :-) good luck!

where is ff today - i am worried about you buddy...

i set up my office at the building today...i have a beautiful space that i am trying to rent, and i finally decided to set my office/studio in there until i find a suitable tenant...wow, is it nice!...waaaaay better than the tiny office i gave myself in the lumber yard...my new office is next door to the building where my old office was...i look down on it from my new desk...i love it!

today:
b: greek yogurt with fruit
l: skipped
d: fried chicken
Old 06-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Running late today. May be able to check in after work.

An hour after the kids got to the lake the 15 year old broke her nose on her brother's head fooling around on the dock. Brought back memories of when our daughter was on the 8th grade basketball team. The coach had them running around the perimeter of the gym and then said stop and go the other direction. The girl behind Jen kept running - right into her nose. A short procedure at the hospital when they get home should straighten it back.

Have a great day all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken nose.jpg (30.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #473

what are our goals for the next BLITZ?

i shall continue to monitor my appetite (and at this time of year-lack of appetite). i am drinking a greater % of my daily liquids as plain water. My thoughts to you Vicki about your father-in-law's recovery. Self-awareness about what we are doing is the foundation of what these blitzes are all about. 2 days to XIV. I will be seeing the MD about my leg, if there is no improvement. FF
Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My goal is to "stop the diet madness", eat healthier and a little more green - don't worry - I am a carnivore - but I'm going to start drinker some nutrient rich smoothies to feed my body what it needs.

Water is always a goal, since I'm not good at it.

For the first time, I am NOT making weight loss a goal this Blitz. If I do what I've spoken up above, weight loss should happen.

Everyone else?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

marilee and ff, i like your goals for the next blitz...diet-fatigue sucks and can lead to disaster, so i think a moderate, healthy plan is best at this point...

marilee, how can it be hard to drink water in the desert???

abs, your gd is adorable!...looks like she isn't gonna let a broken nose slow her down...bet you can't wait to get your arms around all of them tomorrow :-) have a blast!...

i haven't weighed in many weeks - i have no idea what i weigh right now and i'm a bit afraid to find out...i've been doing a moderate, mostly healthy diet with lots of good exercise and i feel great...i'm worried if the scale is too high, i will become bummed out and change something i shouldn't...i don't feel thin by any means, but i feel strong and fit...

i got an e-mail yesterday from a girl i saw outside my office the day before, who had not seen me in awhile...she wrote, "wow!...you look incredible"...i know i don't look incredible, so i'm thinking i must have really looked bad before!...haha!...but i must look at least "okay", and with the way i feel, i want to stay on this plan longer before i worry about the scale...

so my goal for the next blitz is to keep eating well, exercising, and to get my meds reduced this fall when i see my doc again...
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #476
Blabbermouth!!!

No more diet madness for me either. Sick of it; yo-yoed up and down long enough. I would like to make peace with myself and food once and for all.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
No more diet madness for me either. Sick of it; yo-yoed up and down long enough. I would like to make peace with myself and food once and for all.
Amen! I wish we lived closer to each other. I know we can and do encourage each other here, but it would be nice to be close geographically.

Tony, I hadn't weighed in over a week, but this morning and decided I had to face the music. I'm back over 330, but not as bad as I thought - 333.8. So off we go again!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

hey marilee, that's not bad at all...you can lose what you gained quickly...when you are on track, you are a weight-losing-machine! :-)

i wish we all lived closer too...it would be fun to get together...you reminded me about my idea of setting up a conference call some saturday...it would be fun to have all of us on the phone line at the same time...let me know when you guys wanna do that and i will set it up...

good day today - great workout at the gym, then swimming and a good soak in the hot tub, which isn't so hot as i turned down the temp...tomorrow dw, my oldest and youngest sons and i are headed to ri for a family gathering - emmy may join us but not sure yet...

hope y'all are having a great saturday night!

today:
b: a few small pieces of fruit from a fruit salad
l: salad w/ evoo, balsamic vinegar and feta
d: a small amount of fettucini with chicken and broccoli, and some of the filling of a steak sub
Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Any Saturday is fine with me!

I'm having insomnia tonight - can't sleep. I hate that!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

Taking a breather from getting ready for the kids tonight. They will squeeze every ounce of water fun at the lake today. Then Jen knows the Tanger Outlets close at 6pm so they will kick her out then and they will drive here. lol

Had a wonderful day at the lake yesterday. We were so sure the weather was going to be awful and it was sunny with a breeze. We got there at 11:30 and never left until 7 last night. They cooked the most delicious chicken and steak tips. Tender and tasty!

Have no idea how I will do this week. Am hoping I can keep low carb most of the time. Should be able to check in each day as the kids will sleep late every day.

Have a wonderful day Blitzers!