Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
marilee!!!!...you can you can you can you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...way to go girl...i can feel it - this is it!!!...this is the time you go all the way!
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
about the roaches...

they are the dominant life form in NYC., Not in my house, not yet. However, it requires lots of spray...esp in the hot weather. Nov cannot come soon enough. As my house will be very hot, I shall be spending minimal time in the kitchen, until late Oct or early Nov. In a way, that is a good thing. I went out today. I will be out almost every day now, if for no other reason than to save kilowatt hours. I am getting a handle on fruit consumption. It takes time, and consciousness. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Raining this morning. FF, maybe you will get another day of reprieve! What is in walking distance that is air conditioned - library, shop rite, coffee shops?

Marilee, I am having a serious conversation with myself this morning telling myself not to mess up!

Planning on a under 600 calorie fast for today. Coffee, salad and small bag of pork skins for lunch and snack. 340 calories. Dinner may be similar. I do have 2 hardboiled eggs in the frig if I am starving at 5.

Tony, we have a 15 min. break at 9 so sometimes that is my snack time and sometimes it is my breakfast. lol What does it mean to have your hot tub oriented?

Have a great day all!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

haha, abs, the orientation is to teach you all the ins and outs of operating and maintaining the hot tub...when the guy got here he said, "ahhh, it is so nice to come out to a house where they take care of things" - the water chemistry was perfect, he said the electrical hookup was the best he has ever seen and the base we built was "perfect"...he really couldn't teach me anything i hadn't already figured out, so he was gone in about ten minutes....

i had a meeting at the building today with a real estate broker and his client who were interested in space for a medicinal marijuana business...my life is full of surprises!...
:-)

ff, once your pension starts flowing, i hope you can turn on the a/c...or could you afford to turn on the a/c and cook at home and be cooler than if you have to spend $$$ to order take-out?...hmmm, the business side of me always kicks in to evaluate problems :-)

i had an apricot for breakfast and it wasn't sweet

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 05-29-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hey, Tony, if they have any surplus send some my way, okay?

Well, a little late, but I hit my goal of hitting 330 or under. Right on the money at 330.0. I've been faithful to plan today and am feeling good. My other knee is starting to bug me a little so to be honest, I'm terrified that I won't be able to get up out of a chair in the future. I had nightmares about it last night. So, time is up....no more "my diet starts on Monday". Monday is today - Monday is every day. Nothing like a taste or reality to shake one up.

Marilee
Gibby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #306

Tony, you are a Ferenghi in embryo.

When it comes (and when the check clears), i will allow myself some a/c time, and one real humongous steak. However, we shall not get carried away. I want to keep my summer utility bill to under $100.00 a month. My last 2 were about $65.00. It is 4:17 pm edt, and i have not eaten anything yet. AND, it is cool in here. I dread the next 3 days(all in the 90s and very very humid). Friday, I will finally see the ST movie. I have a choice of IMAX/3D, if I get there by 11:00pm, or regular 2D, if i get there for the 12:20pm showing. Who knows which? FF
Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i hope you meant 11:00 a.m.!...doesn't look like we will make star trek this weekend either as we are celebrating my mil's 80th b-day...i think you need the a/c brother - for your health...hot, humid city weather can put a strain on your heart...we're not getting any younger, ya know...

marilee, you little rascal you :-) i don't think i'm gonna have a mary-jane dispensary in the building, but tomorrow i am meeting with some folks from a dance studio which is looking for a space to relocate - they've been in business for 26 years downtown, so they might be an excellent tenant...i'd love to fill that space as i would have 100% of the street level stores full...then i could focus on the 12,000 sf in the lower level...

btw, marilee, i know how you feel about the lack of mobility scare...when my hip was at its worst, i was imagining a wheelchair - that's what has motivated me to exercise and keep moving now that i can...i really believe you are getting to twoterville this year and crossing to that new century for the last time...you did it a couple of years ago and you WILL do it again!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, you had a goal for the weekend and you got it! I also have had the "diet will start on Monday" mentality and am working hard to get rid of it. One goal at a time will get us there and our joints will thank us for it!

I pretty much got through the fast yesterday by the skin of my teeth. Had one little thing at work not on plan but over all I wasn't much over 600 calories. Enjoying plenty of cream in my coffee this morning and my tbl of coconut oil. I am packing a leftover hamburger for lunch with low sugar catsup on it. Still have some leftover chicken legs so will have some for dinner with a salad.

Tony, I think your other tenents would be happier with the dance studio if you can make it work. I think medical marijuana is a wonderful help to cancer patients but I would be afraid of break-ins from the shady side. I am not surprised that your hot tub set up was perfect. You are no slouch! lol

FF, hoping you get some kind of check very soon so you can have that great big steak!

Have a great day Blitzers!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abs, congrats on making it through your fast day...if you can do that twice a week and not go nuts on the other days, you will definitely see results...as for the tenants, we have too much of a family image in that town over many many years to become a trailblazer for the marijuana trade...personally, i think making it available to patients is a good thing and i don't think we should be filling up our prisons with folks who smoke a little weed...i think like gay marriage, attitudes are changing and it will be legal in our lifetimes...

so, i am working on the dance studio option - met with them today - very nice folks...this is the 4th generation of their family to be involved in dance in the last 100 years...they love the building...they've been in one spot for 26 years and would have to do some build-out here, so we'll see...

i had 1/2 banana for breakfast and will have some salad with evoo and balsamic vinegar topped with chicken salad for lunch...

i have all the windows shut and it is cooler in the house than it is outside...i still have the winter cover on the pool but am chlorinating and filtering it so it should be ready in a few days - probably right after the heat wave!...i bought a heat pump pool heater for it that will have to be hooked up...maybe within a week or two...our pool is in the shade under a beautiful canopy of trees and only gets sun a few hours a day, which is nice when you are using it, except it never gets very warm, so this will fix that problem and extend the season at both ends...

hope everyone enjoys the day - this may be the first time this year that our weather is as hot as marilee's! :-)
Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey guys! I know, long time-no see! I have been working 60-70 hours/week so it's been all I can do to keep up with my work, coupled with personal issues which have had me down and out a bit. Thought I would stop by and say "hi", so "hi". I am still trying to get back down to my lowest weight and I have been experimenting with my diet in between bouts of health issues. I am currently trying to do carb cycling which seems to be more effective for me than straight low carb. Lost 4 lbs in 3 days after I started.

Hope to post again soon!
artemis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Arte! It's nice to hear from you. I'm sorry you are having to work such a long week and you've had personal challenges. Please stop by any time.

Congratulations on the weight loss! It is so important to find what works for us and I'm glad you think you've found what you need.

Yep, Tony, it's going to hit 108 Sunday. Here we go!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #312

Artemis, so glad you posted.

I always say that whatever works for you, continue until it stops. All plans need tweaking after a while, or even more drastic than a tweak. I have let myself grow careless. I have chosen 6/1/13 to become more systematic, but not DIETY. I was out of the house today, and when I got back, I went downstairs again with a cold drink, and something to read, to save on kilowatt hours. Today was not as oppressive weatherwise as I feared, BUT tomorrow is expected to be in the lower 90s PLUS the humidity. One good thing about being outside, is less opportunity to EAT. I was compelled to take car svc ($32.00 with the tip)into Manhattan today.
There is nowhere to sit or lean, waiting for the busses. Going back, I walked 6 blocks to the express bus-stop, where I was able to sit and wait 1/2 hr. When the bus came, I was shocked. They do NOT accept cash anymore. One MUST get a METROCARD from a subway station. I am nowhere near a subway station. I ACCEPT CASH! Put me to the test, I dare y'all. If you send me cash, I promise I will keep it! What is your world coming to? I bet those ETs that crashed near Area 51 accepted cash! The driver let me ride for free.( When we Ferenghi conquer your world, HE will get preferential treatment in our labor camps.) Tomorrow, finally, I shall be at the new ST movie, but not the 3D one. Too distracting. Across the street from the movie is that great salad bar, which I have not patronized since last TG. Gonna get their sliced turkey breast and those luscious ribs(plus sauted veggies) which i remove the bbq sauce with a paper towel. The flavor is built in. Also, I seem to have developed a limp, which I suspect is a result of not moving myself. Well, Sat will be the last of the severe temps. Then low 80s through mid 70s through next Thursday. All the same, FLY ME TO NOVEMBER!!! FF
Old 05-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Wonderful to hear from you Artemis! So sorry for your health issues and the long hours. When will the long hours ever let up? Soon, I hope. Glad you have an eating plan that is working for you!

I am attempting day 2 this week of fasting on less than 600 calories. I have 2 hb eggs with 1 tbl of mayo on 1 cup of lettuce packed for lunch with my coffee with cream. That all comes to about 450 calories. Maybe a salad with the last chicken leg for dinner.

Running a little short on time this morning so I will check back in after work.Have a graet day Blitzers!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF! And payday - yea!

I've maintained my loss and am hoping by Monday to have dropped another two. It would be great to hit another "milestone" and be in the 20's - do I dare say "never again" to the 30's????

I'll check back in later.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

heeeeey ARTEMIS!!!!!...so good to see you, girl!...i think about you all the time and wonder how you are doing - thanks for stopping in and posting :-) sorry for the challenges you've been facing...you are one very strong young woman and i have no doubt that you will overcome whatever obstacles life puts in your way...i hope you stick around, kid...we miss you!

abs, let me know how you make out fasting today...i have to say that you are a cheap date - a couple chicken legs, a hard-boiled egg and a bag of pork rinds and you're a happy chick!...haha!...how are you beating this heat?...

ff, it's good you're moving around...good luck on your new plan tomorrow...have you thought about trying ww again once your pension starts - i know you did well with their structure...

marilee, we ain't partying on your patio when it's 108...do you have to stay inside til autumn?...is there a pool near you?...btw, the 330s are HISTORY, girl!

speaking of pools, i have been filling and filtering mine for a couple of days and i had it looking really good but when i went to pull off the cover this morning, i made a huge mistake and dumped a winter and spring's worth of leaves, yucky water and debris into the nice clean water...that's gonna cost me a couple of filter cleanings (pain in the butt!) and a few extra days of filtering...darnit!

i turned down the hot tub to 80 degrees (lowest setting) but it's still 94 as the hot days are keeping the water warm...i may go in with dw when it cools down tonight simply to get the water cooled down as the jets run...

BIG NEWS!...emmy called us last night and said her bf asked her to marry him while they were at the beach and she said yes...today i went to the doc's with her (bf had to work) and she heard the heartbeat for the first time...very exciting!...she wants to get married before she gets too big and since sarah is coming home july 16-20, they are conspiring to try to have their wedding then...can that even be done?...it may be an informal thing where we rent a tent, hire my brattleboro buddy to cater it and just have a big party with all of our family and friends...we'll see...we've got some running around to do!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, that's great news about the wedding! I think casual fun weddings are the best. It's a time of joy and celebration and being with friends. It will be great!

Yep, inside pretty much until the end of October. I live in a retirement community so we have pools, golf courses, fitness centers, etc. etc. up the ying yang. HOWEVER, I will not wear a swimming suit yet.

Sorry you messed up your pool. Just think of the extra exercise you'll be getting
Old 05-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, I am happy to hear of the upcoming wedding and your possible plans sound like a wonderful event. My sister has put on two weddings at her farm in a similar fashion. A big white tent, a dance floor, good music and simple but delicious food. I think something like that would be beautiful!

I have gotten through the day pretty well. I did have a big salad for dinner but only 1 tbl of salad dressing so think I still came in under 600 calories.

Sorry about the pool cover mishap Tony. Hope you didn't let your blood pressure sky rocket! lol

Marilee, wishing you the best on your weigh in on Monday. I will weigh tomorrow as I am still only weighing after fast days. If nothing else, I will fast just to get to weigh myself.

See you all bright and early in the morning!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Sad stories coming from Oklahoma this morning. My daughter and family are ok near Joplin even though the sirens were going off there last night. They were in their basement with some friends all night. So glad nothing touched down there.

Was down a pound after yesterday's fast but it was one of the two I had gained back the last two weeks. But happy to be heading in the right direction again.

Off to the grocery store - will check back later!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #319

Tony, as long as family is there...that is what counts.

sorry about the pool situation. get some people to help you. I saw the movie yesterday. 2D was more than suffice. 3D would have overloaded my life support systems. The most action packed and fast paced of all the ST films to date..yet still loaded with character development. Lots of surprises and some old "friends". FF
Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

FF, so happy you got to see ST! I'm sure the theater had ac too!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #321

I think the Gods have compassion on me...sometimes.

Mon thru Sat will only get to the mid 70s next week. What a gift! The theatre WAS air-conditioned. Well, today is day 1 of DIETA RECONSTITUTA. For the next 3 days (incl today), I will stay as close to zero carbs as is Ferenghily possible. It takes 2 to 3 days for the glycogen stores to be consumed. So, beginning Tues, I will gradually add good carbs, and lower the portion sizes of the protein/fat combos. I bought 2 large orders of ribs w/o bbq sauce. I only needed one(about 3 pm). The 2nd one I will consume tomorrow. If I need another meal, I will get some sandwiches(probably turkey and pastrami, and drop the bread.)I will have mayo for the turkey, and mustard for the pastrami). Tomorrow, early, I plan to do some walking. Even with the limp, I can walk 1 avenue block (which equals 3 street block). Then, I sit on the bench for a breather, and continue on. I will be going to (earth)bro and sis-in-law for her birthday around 7/12/13. So, I have about 7 weeks to make a notice-able difference. Wish me & all of us luck, y'all! FF
Old 06-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back! I have lost 3.5 lbs in the past 5 days since I have been rotating carbs. Went back to weighing every day too. I think it keeps me on track. It's starting to storm here. I went for a walk after work today and nearly melted since the humidity is 95% today!

I think I must have missed a lot! Tony, are you having a grandchild!? Abi, are you doing IF? It does work for me also, but it's kind of hard to do that with my schedule. I don't have any trouble on the DD's but it's impossible for me to eat that many calories on my UD's! Good luck on your weigh-in on Monday Gibby! I don't know what plan you are on now, but I sure hope that it is working for you
artemis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, sounds like you are on the right track with your eating and you will see a different by July.

Arte, I am on NutriSystem - and I DID it! Down to 327.5....too soon to be sure it's "stuck", so many variables (water , etc.), but things are going in the right direction!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

FF, sounds like a good plan. I am sure your earth brother will certainly notice a difference on July 12th. Good going on the walking. Sorry about the limp? Have you figured out what is causing it? I think my off and on hip problem is a kind of tendonitis thing. Quite sure it is not a cartilage thing as it comes and goes.

Artemis, I never thought I could fast again but I am trying hard to do the 5:2 plan where you fast supposedly on 500 calories 2 days a week and the eat up to 2000 calories the other 5 days. So far I can't get under 600 and I am eating all low carb all week long but am having success with the higher fast day calories. Mondays and Wed. are my two fast days for now but they can be changed if my plans for the week change. I am only weighing after a fast day and it is usually after the second fast day that I see a drop.

Marilee, I wasn't sure what your current plan was and am happy that nutri system is giving you such good results!

Tony, hope you have your pool clear now. These 90 degree days are so miserable. Poor FF!

Talk to you all later!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #325

i think the limp is due to not using it.

i am keeping off it until tomorrow afternoon. it is supposed to rain in the a.m. i will try it out in the afternoon. meanwhile, i am sweltering up here. i am drinking water etc around the clock. i will have an omelet and bacon with iced coffee. no toast or home fries of course. Congrats, Artemis on the lbs off. FF
Old 06-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #326

i had a most enjoyable afternoon.

channel 75 on my cable had a complete vintage performance of Verdi's opera MACBETH. I was sweating like a pig, but i did not care. i keep on drinking water, diet snapple and i consumed 2 iced coffees. i had my 1st meal about 12:30pm-cheese omelet (mozzarella)plus a double order of bacon. no toast or taters of course. tonight, it will be either pork chops or steak with chicken broth and double the cooked escarole. The pork chops come with applesauce, so i will have 1 tsp only per chop. Last night I changed my mind, and instead of the turkey and pastrami, i had 4 cheeseburgers with a thin slice of tomato and onion with a very small amount of lc ketchup Sat nights are very busy at the diner, and i had to wait 90 minutes for delivery. I have 1 grapefruit left, and it will stay there for at least a week, and i will have to divide it, when the time is right, into 3 portions. I so much want this to work. It is still very hot in the house, but I will survive it. No more whining. I would really love to take up considerably less space at the Pocono gig during Columbus weekend. FF
Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, great to see everyone posting and doing great!...

artemis, congrats on the loss - sorry about the humidity and to think that you and my sarah were melting down there together! :-) i can't bellieve that i am going to be a grandfather...i can't believe i'm 54 either, so i am pretty much in disbelief 24/7 these days!...

hey dr. abs, happy to see you have diagnosed your hip problem without the need for any medical diagnostic equipment or experience...you sound like me! :-) i am so sorry your family has to worry so much about these weather events - i know it must kill you and dh to think about what is going on out there...so happy everyone was safe...

i have decided to start to reduce my meds ahead of my doc appt. in october - she said we would review it then and maybe reduce them, but i am cutting 3 of my 4 daily pills in half and i will see how i feel...i will stick with the half pills til my appt. unless i feel a change or my bp rises when i check it...see, i'm a doctor too!

ff, after hearing what you said, i WANT TO SEE star trek even more!!!...i do believe that walking will help you with your limp as long as you are not injured and take it easy...i have learned that through my post-surgery rehab...use it or lose it!...sorry you have to suffer today, bro...tomorrow will be better...

marilee, a HUGE congrats on getting below 228!...that is AWESOME, girl...i am pumped!...

we are running around trying to figure out where it might be possible to even hold this wedding...we have a beautiful yard, but i love trees and have no area large enough to put up a tent big enough for the crowd we might have...we will invite between 200-250 people and may get 150-200 to come!...it's the first wedding for both families, so we want to invite everyone - we are going as far as my cousins and their children, and then some friends...we have a big family...some folks live far away and may not be able to make it, but we don't want to leave anyone out...

that's just too many people to pull off at our house, so we are looking at venues where we could set up a tent and have a catered event...it will be casual dress, etc wherever we have it and emmy wants a couple of my nashville buddies to play the music which will be cool...state parks by the ocean, etc. but on such short notice we have no idea what we will be able to get...

we think it's ridiculous to spend a fortune on a one day wedding when the kids will need help to get started later, but as a last resort we will have to look at venues that can hold and feed that many people and that's gonna be expensive...there's a beautiful vineyard venue nearby that we may check out and may look at several others in the coming days...emmy is not asking for anything, and doesn't want us to spend a lot of money, but therefore dw and i plan to do the legwork and then present her with some options...i'm just not sure we can invite that many folks and pull it off without a professional venue, this quickly...

i have a 1947 antique truck that someone offered my son $15,000 for the other day and i may sell it to give me some breathing room....we'll see...

the pool is still a mess...i cleaned the filter twice and it's still running and trying to clear up the cloudy-ish water...in the morning, it will have either turned the corner or convinced me it needs something more drastic...not sure what yet...the water is warm which would be nice if we could swim in it...

had a great day at the in laws yesterday...10 of her 11 grandchildren were there to celebrate my mil's 80th...only sarah was missing but we got her on the phone...everyone was happy to see emmy and supportive...didn't get home til after 3 a.m. as we were gabbing til midnight and lost track of time...

had a burger and a dog on the grill...a couple dollops of potato salad and some baked beans there...didn't eat much more than that all day...

hope everyone has a great sunday night...i feel so much better knowing artemis is okay :-)

Last edited by tony8; 06-02-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Old 06-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

omg, that might be my longest post ever...guess i was trying to make up for not being around yesterday!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #329

Tony, pretty soon we can address you as "papi"

hope the pool situation is rectified a.s.a.p. tis the season. loved the pork chops. i had to toss the remaining applesauce, because of my fruit liability. tomorrow, i will be out all day. channel 61 better be on the money regarding the weather. i do not like being jerked around. i was tolerant of today's oven experience, only because i was promised 6 days of 70s temps, beginning tomorrow. FF
Old 06-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff, have they resolved your pension issues?...you are influencing my diet - i think i'll make pork chops sometime this week...i'm very proud of you for getting back on the wagon - good luck with induction!

it will be cooler tomorrow - actually it's already in the low 70s and dropping in nyc...