Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Marilee, I am trying to have the same mind set. Fortunately we are not going anywhere and if we cook out it will be just the two of us. I can get away with just cooking steak or chicken with a salad on the side.

I am so thrilled you are down and wish you luck getting to your weekend goal!

I am afraid to weigh. As long as I don't I can tell myself I haven's gained back the 6 I lost recently. But if I make it through today with less than 600 calories I will bite the bullet and weigh in the morning. I am having my third cup of coffee with cream so that brings my calories up to 250 already just with the 3 Tbl of cream and 1 Tbl of coconut oil. I have some fresh asparagus that a girl I work with picked from her father's garden. May roast them with olive oil and a little garlic salt for DH. I will have to try some too of course!

Talk to you all later!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #272
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
good for you, Gibby!

I am so encouraged by your good news. I have some other good news for me (no, not $$$ related, darn). It is cold in my little hovel. I actually had to turn the fan off. Yesterday, the sweat was dripping off me. I will be grateful for how long this will last. If I had a terrace with a charcoal or gas grill, I suppose I would be cursing, as it will still be raining tomorrow. But I do not, and that is the way the low carb cookie crumbles. I am gonna listen to some classical music soon, and continue reading the RAJ QUARTET. I hope y'all enjoy the MD weekend, and that we remember those who fell to preserve freedom, both on the battlefield, and on the streets of America too. Sunday, I will finally see the new Star Trek movie, even though there are no Ferenghi in it. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

FF, I have to say I am liking this chilly weather too. It has given me extra energy to get alot done today.
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
a huge congrats, marilee!!!...3 1/2 lbs in one week is awesome!...i had a good feeling about you this week :-)

abs, i think it's great that you have that little apt for the kids...keeps them close and gives everyone a little privacy...i can imagine the conversion from storage to living space will take all of the next month!...

good day so far...got some work done and then emmy came home for a few hours - she had a good checkup at the docs this morning - she's ten weeks along, so we are 25% of the way to a baby...she laughs and says i'm gonna spoil it, which is absolutely true!...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff, it's been sooooo muggy here - it's the humidity i dislike much more than the temps...wish i could join you for star trek - i'm hoping to see it this weekend too...
Old 05-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I managed to make it to end of my fast day without messing up. I did weigh this morning and I had gained 2 of the 6 pounds back that I had lost. But, hey, in the past when I would fall off the wagon I would gain it all back and then some. So this is a good starting point to go from.

FF, another cool day. Enjoy the day!

Tony, you definitely will spoil that little one who is joining your family!

Marilee, hope you are having a good holiday weekend!

I will check back later to see what everyone is doing today. More organizing for me!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abs, congrats on making it through fast day...if you are able to keep up the 5:2 plan this week, i have NO doubt you will drop those two lbs. again...falling off the wagon for a couple of days might even jump start the loss because you didn't let it get out of hand...

today will be all-day landscaping and planting day at the building - dw and ds will be there with me...hoping to finish today, but it might go into tomorrow...hoping the weather isn't too miserable...

i'll check in later on...have a great day, kids!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning! The scale showed another pound lost this morning. More motivation to keep faithful on plan through the weekend.

Not doing much this weekend....straighten up the house and clean a bit. The garage needs to be cleaned so that is the main project.

A friend from work is coming over early Monday morning (before it gets too warm) to assemble a bistro set I purchased for my little patio. It's cute - two metal chairs with brown and white mozaic design on the back and a cute table with the same mozaic design. CVS was selling them and had one assembled. When I sat in it, my feet touched the ground, my back was supported and the seat was big enough for mine! I may get some seat cushions, if sitting on the metal gets to uncomfortable.

That's my exciting weekend! I hope you all have a wonderful time, no matter what you are doing, but stay safe! And let's remember those who died for us and our country and who are actively serving today. I also take Memorial Day to think of those I loved who are no longer here.

Love and best wishes to you all!!!

Marilee
Gibby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi marilee, thanks for the reminder about what this holiday is all about!...congrats on losing another pound!...WOW!...your bistro set sounds so nice...it's funny to me how a huge chain like cvs started in a small new england city and now has 7000 stores...its headquarters are in tiny woonsocket, rhode island, two towns over from where i grew up...

what a day!...i worked at the building all day, planting flowers and landscaping...it was pouring rain the whole time and i was soaked through my jacket and shirt and cold to the bone...when we got home about 30 minutes ago, i jumped in the hot shower - it felt sooooo good...

ate a couple of cubes of cantaloup for breakfast, skipped lunch and just had some fried chicken from popeye's...i'm done...

hope y'all have a great night...the backstreet is raiding the chicken coop right now so abi will be able to enjoy breakfast tomorrow :-)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, I am always happy when I can sit in a chair and my feet touch the ground too! lol Still hoping to see some pictures of your patio area especially now with the bistro set on it!

Tony, I bet the area around the building looks so nice now. Hope you didn't get the sniffles being out in that rainy damp weather. But if you had had to do that in 90 degree heat it would have been much worse.

I managed to get the area over the garage all done yesterday so the cool weather helped keep me motivated too.

No Backstreet this morning Tony. I had an e-mail this morning from my niece. She wants us all to come for brunch this morning. Her husband's brother and sil are here until tomorrow from DC and they eat paleo. She said they have tons of steak, bacon etc and want us to come and help them eat it up. Hey, they don't have to call me twice for dinner. My brother, sil, my sister from Walpole and her DH will all be there. Should be fun.

Where was FF yesterday, and where is Clanger, Blondie and Vicki? We miss you guys!

FF, enjoy the star trek movie, you too Tony.

Have a great Sunday Blitzers!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Abi! I'm up - having trouble sleeping - and I noticed you were on the site.

I have to be honest, I am not a techy person and have no idea how to take pictures and load them on the computer and post.

Vicki is in Florida visiting her DS and his fiance. She'll probably check in when she gets home.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning Marilee. Sorry about the lack of sleep. I had that problem Thursday night. ugh.

Does your camera have a spot where you can plug in a USB cord? If so, I plug it in to the camera and to the computer and then turn on the camera. I have a photo program that pops up and lets me click on a box that says download photos. If you can somehow get the photos on to your computer I can than tell you how to post them. Let me know. Also, you can take the sim card out of your camera and plug it in to some computers to download the photos..
Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

aha!...so abs is a computer whiz...too bad she doesn't live in brooklyn - she could replace pavarotti and retire on ff's account alone :-)

wasn't ff trying to get out yesterday?...from my experience outside, he may have drowned!...

sounds like a fun brunch abi...enjoy it...will you be doing 5:2 this week?...

no idea what is going on today, except that i have more work to do at the building...some clean-up and some mulching, which would be almost impossible to do in the rain, so i am watching the sky and hoping for a break in the clouds...

let's rock this sunday, kids!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Brunch was wonderful! Roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, scrambled eggs. salad with feta cheese, and the most delicious beef tenderloin! Niece and her sister in law in photo. battery went on camera after this shot.

Ha Ha, it cracks me up when you call FF's computer guy pavarotti.

Hope the weather is good tomorrow. Plan to go to a service at the cemetery in Brattleboro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (59.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #285

woke up late today.

ergo, i shall catch the ST flick later in the week. For those of you who will be at a bbq, this weekend, let me know what y'all are bbqing. i have never been to one. i am enjoying the last of the cool weather, and wallowing in every minute of it. Also, my appetite is down lately. I hope that lasts a while too. Knock yourselves out! FF
Old 05-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abs, pretty girls and a heck of a good-looking spread in front of them - looks YUMMY!...

ff, i haven't seen star trek yet this weekend - not sure it's gonna happen...what do you mean, you've never been to a barbecue?...how can you live in america for 60+ years and never attend a barbecue?...you're pulling my leg, right?...if not, please tell me how you've been able to avoid them!? :-)

busy busy day...worked at the building all day and got everything done that i wanted to...it looks very nice, if i do say so myself!...today it was just ds and i...when i work, i never take a break - i'm just so focused, i never even think about it...crazy as they are, my habits have helped instill a good work ethic in my kids...

ate some pizza toppings for dinner and a few wings...had a few cubes of cantaloup for breakfast and skipped lunch again today...

emmy drove up to the cottage in maine with her bf today and he is heading back tonight, but em will stay there and dw is driving up to spend the night there with her...i am staying at home with ds so he can work on his junior essay for english class - if he finishes early, we will drive up tonight or tomorrow morning...it's more likely we will stay here for the rest of the weekend and he may go to his gf's bbq for a while tomorrow afternoon...i may be all alone for part of memorial day...you might be able to find me in the hot tub! :-)

hope everyone is having a great night!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

FF, the nice thing about being retired is you can be flexible on going to things like the ST movie when it is convenient to you! I don't think we are going to bbq any thing today but time will tell. We are not going any where and I don't know what the weather is going to be like this afternoon yet. Are you sure that your earth brother has never cooked you a burger or steak on his grill? That's what I would call a bbq.

Tony, I still plan to keep with the 5:2 plan but I suspect it is going to be a bit of a struggle to get back in the groove. My plan for today (subject to change lol) is to only have coffee and maybe a diet soda until mid to late afternoon and then eat my 500 or so calories all in one meal or two smaller meals. When I am at work I have to spread it out because I feel compelled to eat something during breaks and lunch time.

Marilee, here is another solution to get us some pictures of your patio. Borrow someone's camera at work, take pictures, have them download them on their computer and then e-mail them to you. Then I can give you my e-mail address and you can forward the e-mail to me and I will post them. What do you think about that?

Will check back in later!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Well, we are going to cook out. DH asked me to pick up chicken legs at the store so I have also cooked potatoes for his potato salad. Saw a recipe the other day where two people had used canned green beans, drained and dried well and then add mayo, onions, mustard etc to them just like you would make a potato salad. I will try this for me and let you all know how that comes out. So I guess I will not be fasting today and not tomorrow either. It will be free lunch day.

The service at the cemetery was very nice, the temps had warmed up a little from the 34 degrees this morning and my brother and sil showed up too.

Need to wash the grill and finish the salads right now. Will talk to you all later!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abs,
how do you grill your chicken legs?...do you get just the legs, or do you get the thighs too?...my favorite part of the chicken are the thighs...

was the thing at the cemetary for your mom?...i miss her too :-)

today has been a day off from everything except relaxing...my three sons are here and the two older ones are helping the youngest with his senior essay - keeping him focused and helping him edit...very cute - they are good boys...

i spent a couple of hours in the hot tub this morning - it was soooooo nice...it is absolutely beautiful today and the yard is looking so good after all the work i've done this spring...i earned this day off after the past two at the building, i can tell you that!

dw and emmy spent last night together in maine and are enjoying a little mother-daughter time...they called a bit ago and will be heading home soon...i know from experience that when you are there by the ocean on a day like this, it is very hard to leave...

bought steak tip, shrimp and chicken skewers at the butcher shop and if the boys ever stop grazing and get hungry, i will throw them on the grill...

happy memorial day, kids!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #290

Tony, I suspect it is because they were afraid I would

EAT IT ALL. Currently, I am watching THE LONGEST DAY, in my opinion, still the greatest war flick ever made. PBS had a very moving Mem Day Concert. I had no idea Charles Durning had passed away in Feb. The tribute he gave last night was obviously a repeat. I am also currently enjoying the last of the comfy weather. It will be close to, if not surpass 90 degrees later this week. The roaches love it! My (earth) dad was in the Italian campaign during WWII. He fought in Sicily all the way up to and including Anzio/Antium(the birthplace, incidentally, of Caligula and Nero). Enjoy the rest of the weekend. FF
Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, are you joking about the roaches?...do you have them there?...i had never even seen a roach until i moved to boston to attend law school in '83...my prospective roommate never told me he had them, and by the time i moved in, i couldn't find another place...it SUCKED!...i walked in the kitchen the first night i lived there at about 1 a.m. for a drink of water and when i turned on the light, a hundred of them scattered...YUCK!...it's one of the reasons i'm not a city dweller - the other reason was the rat that moved into our building later that year...and this was a modern, nice-looking apt in a nice neighborhood...

when i see the word "roach" i can't help but react...i hope you don't have 'em bro... :-)

the steak tips and shrimp were good, except i waaaay overcooked the shrimp - i had never grilled them before and left them on too long - dry and chewy, although still tasty as they were marinated...everything else was yummy!

still just chillin'...i miss britt!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, we just cook the drumsticks. We have a secret sauce of spices and vinegar that DH bastes them with while they are cooking.

The Mass at the cemetery is an annual thing in honor of our fallen soldiers but all the people buried there are also remembered including Mom and Dad. The weather was beautiful, still a little cold but I wore my winter parka and we bring our lawn chairs. It is only about a 30 minute service.

The chicken was delicious and the green beans with mayo etc. were not bad. May make them again.

Well, my 4 day weekend has come to a close. It was nice and I got alot accomplished. Need to go read some and get rested for the rest of the work week.

Have a good evening Blitzers!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great avatar, abs...thanks for sharing...hmmmm, secret sauce, huh?... :-)
Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My favorite part of the chicken is the thigh, too.

I've enjoyed my 3-day weekend, but am ready to get back to work. I don't know if I could ever fully retire - I would have to be involved in something or I'll go nuts.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #295

shrimp need only a few minutes per side.

cook them last!. as soon as they turn pink, they are done. I learned that from the cooking shows, esp AMERICA's TEST KITCHEN. I DO have a rock solid technique for NY strip steak, (aka shell steak, although if you put them to your ear, you cannot hear the sea, unlike some chickens-CHICKENS OF THE SEA). I put a dry rub ( black pepper and minced garlic)on a very barely oiled (i use grape seed oil, which has a high smoking point, and high omega 3s)steak. After a day in the fridge, I bring the steak(s) back to room temp. I put about 2 T in the saute pan;in my case-a non-stick which cost me $16.00 (tax incl)I got at a discount store. The minced garlic gives a nice crust. Then, I lower the heat so that the inside cooks to MEATY YUM rare. A lot of this is purely instinctive, so it is based on experience.Ergo, I cannot give specifics as to timing or temp. I do not walk away from the kitchen when it (they) are cooking. That and some sauted veggies are the cats meow. As it is a non-stick pan, the cleaning is effortless. This description does not work for better cuts like porterhouse etc. Tomorrow, I must get out of the house for a while. But, it has been like winter in here the last few days, so i was really comfy. FF
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sounds delicious ff!...you are quite the chef...have you been doing a lot more cooking now that you are retired?...

marilee, i'm with ya on the retirement thing - i'd have to keep busy somehow...plus, when you get to be our age, you have so much experience and wisdom (hard-gained!) that it is a shame to let it wither away...

ff, you hear that?...you are a wise man :-)
Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, I am with you on the retirement thing. I have loved these 4 days off but am also ready to get back to work.

FF, you are just a regular Julia Child! Your steak recipe sounds wonderful. When we all get to Marilee's you will need to cook us some of those steaks! I am dreading hotter and more humid temps at the end of the week. Get out and enjoy today!

Our free lunch has been reduced to two alternating choices that everyone can agree on. It will be either make your own sandwich which is deli meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes etc. or pizza. Today will be pizza so I will eat the tops of two slices. I may bring some leftover chicken legs for breakfast at 9.

Tony, we love to call it the secret sauce and then tell everyone what is in it. lol A big mug, alot of seasonall poured in, some good shakes of worcestershire sauce, and then fill the mug with apple cider vinegar. Baste and turn, baste and turn for about 45 min. with some rest times of putting the lid down on the grill. We taught our 13 year old grandson while in Missouri and he did a great job!

Wishing you all a great Tuesday Blitzers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 052.jpg (42.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

way to train him, abs!...he is so cute and looks like he is taking the job seriously :-)

i'll keep your sauce a secret!...they give you a breakfast break at 9???

i am dreading the heat too...we will be heading to southwestern ct on sat for my mil's 80th birthday...i'm gonna eat light all week in anticipation of the heat...it's so much easier to deal with when you don't feel heavy to start with...

hot tub orientation guy is coming shortly, then the gym, then work...see y'all later...
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quick check in - down 3.4 pounds last week. Now, if I could just keep at it and not mess up!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee!!!!...you can you can you can you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...way to go girl...i can feel it - this is it!!!...this is the time you go all the way!