Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/170.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Girls-have you ever heard of Kings Ranch Chicken? it is a recipe that my aunt in Texas gave to us years ago-a big recipe that is made in a 9x13 pan with corn tortillas and chicken soup and is spicy-I am going to try it with lowcarb tortillas and some mushroom/chicken soup and hopefully try to lowcarb it low enough to make it lowcarb? it sounds good and will last a couple of days if it goes ok? I need those leftovers if I work outside! just pulled out all the ingredients from the pantry and freezer! so the biggest battle is over -trying to decide what to fix!

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #362
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Jeanne - I understand. Do what you know is best girl! Being a Diabetic is nothing to mess with. I just know my Mom's numbers are never at 85, even with her meds.

Michelle - Work must be busy. That is GREAT! Rest up girl.

I tried, MY BEST, to finish up my book last night. I literally couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. TONIGHT I will finish it. I also plan to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! My job is the bathrooms. Then Haven does most of the rest (we pay her during the summer). When it isn't summer, Haven does all dusting, T does all the floors, Dennis, he gets his DOMAIN, the KITCHEN! I don't dirty it, why should I clean it???

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-69.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #363
Big Yapper!!!!

Jeanne - I want that recipe. I am thinking that will be something good to make while we have the TEXAS crew here over July 4th weekend. I think all ages would enjoy that. I can dial back on the spicy side of it, right???
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #364
Big Yapper!!!!

Forgive me, I am going to RANT here. I have an assistant at work, she OK. She has one speed, not FAST , rather on the slow side, but she is here and not late and such. It is what it is. She has ZERO desire to advance, get more duties and such. She is more a BLUE collar worker, more here just for the paycheck.

I walk with her at noon most days. Yesterday, in passing, she mentions she has talked her DH into going to CO. I say, oh how fun. We even discuss the fires there. She mentions they are meeting their friends that live in AZ there. I then am like, now when is this? Are you taking off time for it? To that she replies, OH yes. I say, when? She replies, the week after July 4th.

Seriously??? She was JUST now mentioning it and to be honest, had I not specifically inquired, I wouldn't have any idea she was wanting vacation time for it. To boot, it is only 2 + weeks from right now. When I take off, my boss knows MONTHS ahead of time. Typically 6+ months when I am taking a week off. It peeved me greatly. I was thankful that Dennis and I had decided neither of us would be taking time off for Haven's World Series that week. IT is actually MY year to take off and go there with her but this year, it is right after July 4th. Typically it is 2 weeks later. This year it is 07/10th - 13th. About 4 weeks ago, I decided to ask our sitter if she would simply take her, agreeing to pay her an extra $100. Had I not done that, I would have had to have told her, SORRY you can't go. That is the drawback of a small business.

Is it just me? Really, in passing mention this???????

Last edited by zipp2play; 06-19-2013 at 07:47 AM..
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #365
Big Yapper!!!!

She wants the full week off. I think I am still a little baffled by it.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #366
Big Yapper!!!!

off my soap box....thanks for listening.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Monica--I think that it is outrageous for her to expect to be off without a request in at least a month ahead of time--is there not a policy about that--if not-put one immediately! and share it with her--there needs to be coverage in the office-what if you had not asked her--when was she going to share--the day before she took off???? it would have made me mad too! you don't need that type of worker--maybe you can replace her while she is gone!!!

I think there are lots of King Ranch Chicken Recipes out there-just google it--but here is the one I am working with:

King Ranch Chicken

1 chicken cooked and deboned--I am using 2 13 oz cans of chicken breast-maybe more?
18 corn tortillas--I am using lowcarb tortillas-just judging how many
1 can cream of mushroom soup--I will be using mushroom/chicken combo
1 can cream of chicken soup--see above
1 can chicken broth
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 chopped onion
10 oz cheddar cheese
1 bell pepper chopped
1 stick butter melted

Saute onion and pepper in butter. Add broth, soup, rotel and simmer. Next add chicken and mix. Spray 9x13 pan with Pam. Tear up half of tortillas and place in bottom of pan, pour chicken mix over tortillas then put another layer of torn up tortillas, top with cheese and bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes... I put some of the cheese in the center too. Enjoy.

Last edited by jbatchelor; 06-19-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #368
Big Yapper!!!!

Well we are a TINY office. Only 6 of us here, then 1 guy in AL and 1 in MI. Not sure what I should say and how. I'll think on it.

OH that recipe sounds awesome. I will share it with Dennis.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/185/182.4/165
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
Hello Jeanne and Monica, I have finally caught a break so I checked in and got caught up.

Monica---Rant away. That is what we are here for. Your company should have some sort of policy in place regarding this matter. I'm sure there is a way to get it introduced without making too much of a fuss about it. I know where you are coming from. I have only worked at the job I'm at now since I was 16 years old. It has always been a small business with fewer than 15 employees (now it is just Marcel and I). The employess always had to give 3 months notice for holidays. I never gave notice because I never went on holidays. The 1st holiday I ever took was our honeymoon and the 2nd was when I went to New York last year. That's it. But regardless there has to be some common sense from employees to know that proper notice is essential in a small workplace.

Jeanne--- That King Ranch Chicken sounds good. Doesnt sound spicy at all. Have you found low carb soups? I have only found pretty high carby soups here. I wish right now I had stuff to just pull out and eat. But I've used up all my frozen stuff. Maybe this weekend I will try to do some batch cooking.

I am a little less tired today but could still use a good nights sleep. I just can't seem to stay asleep this week. So much tossing and turning. I'm not sure what's up. Other than that not much new here. The weather is gorgeous. hopefully I'll get to enjoy it tomorrow.
Later ladies.

Jeann

I need to finish this journey once and for all!
I know somewhere inside of me I have the strength and commitment...I just need to find it.

Michelle
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle-the campbells mushroom w/chicken is the lowest I have found-I figure spread out over a 9x13 it isn't too bad? but you can also use a brick or two of cream cheese or some sour cream to make it creamy-I have done that also and just add some cubes that make chicken broth flavoring to get more chicken taste.

Michelle-do you take magnesium at night? you might try that-I think it helps? hope you get some sleep-I have trouble with that also--it takes a toll- but I don't have to get up and go to work anymore! makes a difference in my day--I can roll with it!

summer temps are here--I hate those warm days-and the electric bills since we are on rural electric with their double rates in the summer and winter! so not fair! we really thought moving to the country would be cheaper--ha!

going out to finish mowing early today to beat the heat-I had to quit early yesterday and come in and lay in front of the fan!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #371
Big Yapper!!!!

Michelle - soryr you are tired. I know I am TIRED today! It's Thursday, so hopefully I can make it! You deserve MORE holiday's! Do you have plans to visit your brother again?

Jeanne - don't work too hard with the mowing girl! Listening to you makes me HOT and TIRED!

It's Friday EVE. Almost the weekend. I have a headache today. Not sure what is up with that. I will drink some water and I took some meds. HOpefully it will go away soon!

Plans for the weekend girls?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

no plans for the weekend-it is going to be hot--too hot to work outside for me-and last weekend was the free movie weekend and I missed it with the baby being home! I had more fun with the baby--I am thinking about maybe seeing if Bill will look at another campground just to check it out-it is about 45 miles away when the usual one we go to is about the same-I think a change of scenery would be good? more places to walk around? he is hard to change his environment--set in his ways like an old farm boy! can't get them off the farm! literally!

I do have cleaning to do--always since I spend most of my time outside! what is on the agenda for you two???

what did you decide to do about the office gal? make any memos for the next time this happens?

Last edited by jbatchelor; 06-20-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne, I hope Bill changes his mind set and you get to go camping. All mowing makes Jeanne a sad girl! It's time to enjoy the outdoors with relaxation not work.
I'll lookm into that magesium. Any advice?
Monica--How's the headache? I hope it went away and you could enjoy for Friday eve.

Almost finished at work for the day. It sure looks and feels like it is going to rain. We could sure use it. It is pretty dry here right now. As for weekend plans. I have a lot of vacuuming and dusting to do. With the open windows everything is covered in a thick layer of dust. And we have neighbors trees dropping seeds everywhere and they are making their way into the house by droves. So time for some house maintenance. Oh and I want to look into some batch cooking. I would like to have some quick dinners ready to go in the freezer. Well I have to get back to work so I can leave here by 5PM. I'll check in later. Take care.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle--I take 500mg of Magnesium in the morning and at nite-it is best to get magnesium citrate-it is better absorbed-however magnesium oxide is cheaper-HOWEVER--that is the kind that MIGHT cause loose bowels since it has the same kind as milk of magnesia if you remember what mom used to give! not a good thing-lol--I can tolerate the magnesium oxide however because I have usually need dynamite to get me going--way too much info I know!! if you take calcium--do not take it with magnesium--they negate each other--take at least two hours apart!

magnesium is supposed to help you relax and sleep--you can take 1000 mg at nite if that is easier to remember--I do when I can't sleep.. it is a safe supplement. and one that many people are lacking in..

well-no camping for me or looking at campgrounds either--Bill has to work Saturday--it has been several years since he has worked Saturdays so we can't complain since he had a few days where he was sent home with no work--he thinks there will be many Saturdays actually this summer since he thinks they have a big job coming at a landfill--I sure hope that is true--he needs to make some extra in the next few years to build up his social security as much as possible... we can camp whenever!

I have never been good at batch cooking--I guess since Bill eats so much it keeps me busy cooking anyway on a daily or every other day basis--I am always in the kitchen or on the mower! I do need to bake something good for me--I need find something -I am thinking blueberry..
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the info. I'll go check some stores out this weekend and see what I find.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #376
Big Yapper!!!!

I have done nothing about the vacation time. We don't really have an employee manual or handbook and we never do Memos in the office. We are NOT that formal. It probably isn't a big deal. There were no conflicts. I think what miffed me most was, what if I hadn't specifically said, What? When? I don't think I would know even now. Does that make sense? Again, she is a good worker, but this is a job for her. Not something she pours herself in to. Is that bad/good? Who knows? Me, my life/such is ALL in that place. I have worked here for 15 years, from when Boss opened. I feel, I helped him make it what it is today. Maybe I'm the fool? Well, I am sure I am a FOOL! anyway............

we went to DS14's girlfriends softball game last night. It was fun. I think all of us enjoyed watching. There was a nice breeze and it wasn't hot!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #377
Big Yapper!!!!

This weekend is VBS (vacation bible school) prep weekend. Tonight T and I are heading with the Pastor's wife to KC to pick up a TON of borrowed decorations. I told T if he helped me, I would buy dinner....HIS CHOICE of where. Dennis and Haven will be at her 2 softball games. I may talk to T and see if once we have the stuff he would be willing to head to her games. I fear I know the answer to that She plays at 7:30 and 9:00.
Tomorrow we are helping decorate for VBS. Then Haven has a game at 5:30. I will go to that. Dennis is heading with the church youth group to the T-Bones baseball game (minor league team in KC). Sunday I will do church/finish decorating. Then Aimee is coming home with T and we will do lunch and then go to a movie. Monsters University. Aimee hasn't seen the first movie, so I told them we could all watch it before heading to the theater. Should be a fun day. If Haven is done playing Softball early enough Sunday, we will wait for her before we head to the theater!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #378
Big Yapper!!!!

Next week will be insane. VBS each night from 6 - 8:30!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Summer Day!! Monica-your weekends always sound insane!! I would need a secretary to keep me on track--glad you and the hubs split the schedules! that helps I know--I like the T-bone nickname! lol! wonder what he will pick for dinner!

it is supposed to be 90s today and all weekend--I am hibernating inside when it gets to be that hot--you won't see me doing anything outside! the yard work is nil except when the sun goes down! and it may or not get done! I wonder if I have Dracula tendencies?

rearranging the living room this week-haven't done that in a long time--and trying to purge--you girls are influencing me! which is a wonderful thing! trying every day to get rid of something. later
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #380
Big Yapper!!!!

Jeanne - purge away girl! It is very freeing getting rid of CRAP!

T weighed in today..200.4, DARN IT, oh so close. He only weighs about once a week AT BEST! From his highest, that's 30 pounds gone!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

he is doing so well--this will keep him honest for the weekend and pick something legal for dinner--I am so proud of him! next week will be his week--and weighing only once a week-how brave and grown up is that??? he is just one awesome young man!

back at it--it is freeing--but slow! I am cleaning as I go!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

gotta love those changes in plans! it rained enough last nite to keep Bill from working today-of course he had to get up at 5am to find that out! so today is a work around home day! he has sprayed the pond for weeds, went to look at new chain saws-his old one still works-lol-he just has to look! I am still cleaning and purging-that will be never ending! but it is good to get rid of stuff-also finding things!

have a good weekend ladies--we might make it to go look at a new campground yet! it is so hot tho-hate to leave the air conditioning! what did people do before AC?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

And I am back-Bill got called into work-something about running the pumps to pull out the water in the holes--he might be gone a couple of hours he said! so I am cleaning out my pj drawer-it needed it! small things all add up in the end--I keep flitting from one area to the next-I am trying to redo pics and things on my living room walls to-they haven't had a change since we moved in 17 years ago--yikes-I am old and set in my ways I guess-when we moved in-I had the guys move the tv and the furniture all over the place until we finally landed on what I thought was the best place--and I just left everything status quo--but that was a tv that we had major glare on and now we have a flat screen- so we moved the tv across the room again and it is working so far! and we have the tv in an old armoire that Bill had reversed the doors on that we left open-when we moved it-carefully as it is a breakdown armoire-Nate said to leave the doors off-that it looked better--so we have taken the doors upstairs and stored them for the time being-I do think it makes the tv look larger? so I am trying to think what I can add to my walls to bring them up to date?

well-back to cleaning and purging!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 06-22-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne your cleaning and purging and redecorating sounds fantastic. I love doing stuff like that. I hope you figure out something for the walls. Maybe you can be crafty and make something! Pinterest is so full of ideas. I love that sight.

Wee I did dusting upstairs and vacuumed the whole house, but now I'm a little sore. So I took a break and took Ben to the park for a 2hr walk. It isn't sunny but it is warm and pleasant. Now I'm back home and I think I'll ice the neck and shoulders before I try to do anymore.

Good luck Jeanne. I hope you get everything you want done.

Monica have a great action packed weekend. Please tell about Monster University. I hope it is good. Marcel and I were thinking of seeing it. However we have never seen the 1st one either. Will it matter?

Later girls
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #385
Big Yapper!!!!

Jeanne - how did the purging go the rest of the weekend? Did Bill have to work long?

Michelle - Monsters University was good. It wouldn't be necessary to see the original one as MU is a PREquil to the original. There are little things though that you will miss that pull from the future movie. Rent it, make a day of it. That's what T and I did with his GF. She hadn't seen the first one. We ate lunch and watched it at the house then headed to the theater to see MU. It was a fun day. I think Haven will see it with the sitter this week.

VBS is ready to roll. Haven's games went OK this weekend. They won 1 and lost the rest. The 1 game I went to Haven Pitched. The 3 batter up hit a LINE drive right back to her. I heard a POP and Haven went down. It scared the CRAP out of me. I went running to the dug out. I really thought her arm was broken. My heart was racing. Coach Doc was on the mound with her....thankfully, her mit took the brunt of the hit and then the ball hit the palm of her left hand. She finished up as pitcher for the rest of the game. I was very rattled the rest of the time. Thankfully, she is fine.

That sums up our weekend. T/Dennis and the youth group had a great time at the minor league baseball game they went to. I think even the guy in charge enjoyed himself. He is a bit different and hadn't been to a baseball game since grade school.

Now it's MONDAY and it will be a BUSY week for us. Haven has volleyball camp each morning from 8-11. Each night we have VBS from 6 - 8:30. We will blink and the week will be done. Not sure how many more years my crew will be interested. WE are all volunteers this year. Time will tell. Dennis and I are in charge of snacks. I think Haven is with the preschoolers and T is with the games. FUN STUFF!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Scary for me even hearing about the POP with Haven-thankfully she is OK--whew-hate it when the kids get hurt! I can feel your anxiety there! glad things ended out ok--and the weekend was a good one--enjoy VBS-yes the times are limited there but more and different times are ahead of you--I foresee good times ahead with involvement with different older things they are doing.

well-no weight loss today-stayed the same-hanging in there and will hope for a loss for next week-11 days left to the challenge--time to stay the course

later girls

Last edited by jbatchelor; 06-24-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Monica--- I'm glad Haven is OK. I'm sure you were terrified running down to her, I would be too.
Just you talking about your week has made me tired. I don't know how you do it. Your family is so amazing volunteering for all of this. You truly are marvelous people.

Jeanne---How did the cleaning go?

I didn't end up batch cooking. I couldn't decide what to cook. I'll give it some more thought. I did end up vacuuming, doing the bathrooms, some dusting, and some deweeding.Today is Marcel's 51st bday. He has selected Tony Roma's for supper. I am all up for some bbq baby back ribs. YUMMY!
Well it's off to work for now. See you later.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #388
Big Yapper!!!!

OH Michelle, you are too kind. You say marvelous, I say INSANE, the only ones who seem to not be able to say NO! Kidding, I love VBS and have wonderful memories of my own years in it when I was young!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCEL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope he has a fabulous day!

Jeanne - sometimes staying the same, well is a BLESSING!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Birthday to Marcel!!! you people are just youngsters!!! enjoy the baby back ribs!!! yummy --plus a romantic night out--can't beat that with a stick!!!

I have a large roast, potatoes and carrots in the crockpot for dinner here--that will take care of a couple of days for the man! it is beginning to smell good-that with a salad and I am good to go

Monica--staying the same is a good thing--losing is just icing on the cake! maybe next week? I am not complaining trust me--especially when I eat some type of dessert each and every evening! can't do without my lowcarb desserts!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #390
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning all! It is TUESDAY! VBS has us going to bed later than normal. Hoping tonight I can get home and go RIGHT to bed!