Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
I love them too Jenn and had three cans back during passover . No self control so not buying more.

I have to clean before DHs cousin comes. Next week is going to be busier then this week.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #152
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Debbie-I have to hide them from DH! lol! I'm not a coconut fan, but these are very tasty.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Good Morning-

We definitely had a houseful all weekend. DS15 had a couple of friends over Friday night (but they were girls, and they were walking home, so of course they didn't stay too late) Saturday morning was water polo followed by all day with friends/sleep over.
I mostly do okay with snacks for DS15's friend that is a vegan, its the quick, oops I wasn't planning to feed this many kids for dinner that usually throws me. Its the eggs and cheese that I have to put extra thought into working around, vegetarian is pretty easy, but vegan not so much. Maybe I should toss some stuff in the freezer like MK suggested.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #154
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

Cindy - I'm all ears, when you're ready to talk, of course.

Kelly - Amy's has a lot of vegan items ~ the pizza is really good.
Most potato chips are vegan - just read the ingredients.

Jenn - sounds like the kids are doing well! And the cookies sound yummy!

Debbie - yes, you're busy!! But so glad you weren't running in Boston.
So sad.

I ran around all over today, in the rain, ick.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #155
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
We finally had a nice day yesterday - 60, sunny and breezy!
Today mid 50's, then back to rain and 40's for a couple days.

So scary about Boston - and yes, glad you weren't there Deb.
Have you heard from all your friends?

This issue with my brother has been festering for years. His wife is not the nicest woman and has never felt any real need to be close to us (besides, we think she is a hoarder). Over the years we have seen him less and less - he always finds excuses to not visit or why he can't visit - using his kids for many, many years. The last time my parents were at his house was in 2010 for my nephew's graduation. He never invites them, so they didn't even go back for my niece's graduation in 2011. He told DH one time a few years ago that NO ONE is invited to his house for the holidays - that is his time to spend with his family. One time as well, when my Dad asked how come he never comes "home" to visit (and we all know we refer to our childhood home as "home"), he told my Dad "I am HOME." So, these behaviors have been going on for years......I hadn't seen him since 2005, when he came through on his way up to visit my Mom last summer - and he literally stopped here to use the bathroom - that was all the time he could afford. The real kick in the gut was when he told me he wasn't coming to DD's wedding because "he didn't know her". Sorry, but WTH???? You don't know her? You know me, I am your sister. So fast forward to this winter - my parents were advised to remove me as executor of their will and use a third party. They told me at Christmas. I was fine with it - less stress for me. A letter was going to my brother to inform him. It finally went out a few weeks ago and he called me about it asking why he got a letter - I explained all I knew and if he had questions to call my Dad. Long story short - he was harassing me by phone for days asking me to send a picture of my letter, the postmark, the envelope.....I never got one - unfortunately, the lawyer forgot to send me one since I was already notified. That was beside the point. Finally my Dad called my brother and said I understand you have questions. After a few minutes of conversation, my Dad told my brother that this was his and my Mom's business and he didn't understand why he was questioning all this. My brother hung up on them. He tried calling me and I didn't answer and left me a message to call him back - with a specific time - I emailed him and said I couldn't call him at that time. The weekend passed and he emailed again and asked why I didn't call him. In the meantime, my Mom emailed him and said how hurtful he has been and why did he hang up - she also said you have alienated us all from he and his family. It was a very good email - she sent it to DH and I. She and my Dad are/were hurt. Not knowing about the email at the time - I responded to his email and said - sorry I didn't call you, I was busy over the weekend. Well, neither one of us has heard back from him. I remember what he told me in the midst of this whole will thing - that he basically doesn't need us, and is not afraid to write anyone off - said he "exorcised" all the crap and baggage from our childhood/growing up years and doesn't need to deal with it anymore. I honestly think that is what he has done. My Dad's birthday was last week and he didn't send a card or call. I basically feel like I have been an only child for the last 10-15 years, and now I really do.

SO...............that is it in a nutshell, my friends. You know some of my family's dark secrets! DH and I talk alot about it - even though my parents have issues, I have had issues with them in the past, and even have sought out counseling , they still are my parents. I don't understand, unless they have done something horrendous, you can just write your parents/sister off.......

So, today is my late day (6), I have a meeting and a busy day. I may take tomorrow afternoon off after a 1 pm meeting - I need to get some loan stuff together for DD....icky student loans..........plus a couple errands and I have a cut and color and maybe can get in earlier......then my parents come on Thursday.

to all of you and thanks for listening.

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #156

Hugs Cindy.

I think my sister in law is a hoarder. I don't want to stay at their house ever again. We get along but aren't close.

I am so sad about Boston. Two friends were spectators at the finish when the bombs went off. My friend Rona was around the corner at mile 25.7(26.2 is the fnish). Such carnage and loss. Why would people do such a horrible thing?????

Over 30 club members ran yesterday. It was scary not knowing if everyone was OK. Watching the news now.

I am off today. Need to work on my race a week from Sunday. I think I have enough volunteers but a few more would help if people bail on me.

Not much else new in my life. Everyone is well.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #157
Queen Bargain Shopper

Debbie - I keep reading stories......the one you just posted on FB.... all I kept thinking was thank God those two boys who each lost a leg, are ok. But the 8 year old boy...

I just don't get it. Who would do this?
We talk at work all the time about something like this happening on our campus. So many things have happened on college campuses in the last few years. Like in any situation.....you can't dwell on it - we would never leave the house!

My brother's living room you can't even get to - my SIL has disney sh*t displayed and piled ALL OVER - and that is just one room. My cousin told him years ago, when he was allowed to visit....he said: When it comes time to move, I would just torch the place.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #158

My SIL hoards receipts,books,cards,catalogs,clothes. I don't know where BIL keeps his clothes.

Cindy, the 8 year olds family not only lost him but the mom is gravely hurt and the sister lost her leg. The poor dad.

We really are never safe. Crazy people who would cause so much carnage and sadness.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #159
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Cindy-I'm so sorry to hear it. It must be hard. On the one hand, I'm sure you want to be done with the whole mess and on the other, he is your brother.

Debbie-were any of your club members hurt?

I got distressing news today. Can't talk about it right now. Maybe later.

Going to play bowling with the scouts.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #160
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
Hugs Jenn.

Busy getting things ready, I'll pop back in tonight sometime and post more
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #161

Jenn, sorry about the bad news. All club people were fine. My two friends who were at the finish are quite shaken .

Becky, you must be excited. Did you say you never flew before?

Just finished last track workout of the training program. No one has talked about gifts for coaches and I feel bad.

My news is my HgA1C is now 6. The doctor wants me to eat low carb and low sugar. I don't eat a lot of sugar. I do eat Cinamon Chex as my one sweet item some days. Now I have to cut it out. I just can't eat eggs every breakfast.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #162
Big Yapper!!!!

Debbie, I have never flown and I'm as excited as my mom is dreading it. My sister in law is going with us and she's flown numerous times or else I wouldn't be doing this with mom!!!

Be back later
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #163

I didn't realize your mom was going too Becky. This is truly going to be special trip and quite a reunion.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #164
Queen Bargain Shopper

When do you leave Becky?

Jenn -

I give up trying to "diet", Debbie - if it's not one thing, it's another. I pretty much have tried everything and the way for me to eat, that I feel the best, is South Beach.....I am just trying to be happy at the weight I am at.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #165

I have to cut carbs and sugars because my blood work is close to being considered prediabetic. I went up .4 since August. If I go up again I am prediabetic. I am on the edge now. My fasting blood sugars are fine. It isn't about weight. It is about my diet. It will be hard when I work. I tend to eat quick carbs. I can still eat carbs but less sugar and lower carbs.

I want to see a dietitian because even diabetics eat carbs. My doctor didn't speak to me. A nurse called. I need to be rechecked in 6 months.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #166
Queen Bargain Shopper

I think that is great that you are monitoring it so closely Debbie!
I have wondered what my reaction would be if I was told I needed to change my diet for things like that.........maybe that's what I need!

I almost wish I could become vegan - I know that would make a big difference - but can't do it - more for the dairy (sorry,MK!) than anything. I just think at this point in my life, at my age, having a hysterectomy and my hormones being wacky, that I just need to be happy where I am at. I keep saying that and I think I am trying to convince myself.

Off to work today, leaving after a meeting at 1, will pick up a few things I need for my parents coming tomorrow - want to make this EASY cobbler for dessert tomorrow - let me know if you all want the recipe.......then to my hair appt. I tried growing out the back a bit....no, go, so going back to where I was before. I can't wait!

Trying to decide if I want to work out today or if today is a day off.....I shoot for 5-6 days a week........
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #167

I workout 4 days a week. I really should do more but the three dys I work I am on my feet a lot.

Being gluten free is hard enough. Now I need to cut out sugar which means no ice cream,frozen yogurt, gluten gluten free cerel bars I eat as a hick back when I travel or at work and sweet Chex cereal. I also have to cut back my carbs. I really need a dietitian because I don't know how far to cut them. So sugar first then I will try to eat more protein and veggies and less complex carbs but not cutting them out.

Cindy, cobbler sounds yummy but I try not to bake. When the kids come over I buy ice cream. Sometimes I buy a pie or cookies.

No big plans today. Run with friends tonight. Think I will sweep out the garage and clean my sons bathroom.

I also plan to do some cooking to make eating easier on the fly. I found a marinade recipe yesterday I am going to try on a pork tenderloin. I just never know how long to cook a tenderloin because they dry out when I reheat it. I need to make before I run.

Do you guys cook pork tenderloin?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #168
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ShortKayke
Stats: (High 165) 135/115/105 4'10"
WOE: My Atkins
Start Date: 10/03 on and off when jeans get tight!
Overdue post...haven't been home much the past week and not online hardly at all.
The surgery last Tuesday for DH went very well. They took out the 'bad spot' in his intestines and had to put a 'patch' in his bladder where it was trying to fissure into there. So a good thing he had the surgery as it was stopped in time. The other spots she was worried about looked good when she was in there so didn't have to take more than the one spot.
It was a big surgery but he got the best of care. There were no less than 15 people in the operating room. Everyone was careful, kind, gentle, informative to DH and with honest updates for me.
My mom lives about 25 minutes from Ann Arbor and spent Tuesday night with her so I could go back to the hospital in the morning. I've lost track how many 2 hour each way trips I made from home to the hospital over the last week. Brought the girls back for the weekend at my mom's to visit their dad and celebrate my mom's birthday. He was improving every day.
They bumped his release to Tuesday since he ended up having work on his bladder too. Were concerned about his kidney function, but a CT scan showed the stents were in the right place (as well as both repairs had no leaks..good news) and it was just normal swelling. Said the catheter would be in another week while it healed. Got to eat 'real' food Saturday as his intestines 'woke back up'. The girls and I spent the rest of Sunday when we got home and all of Monday cleaning and sterilizing things here, making sure the bathroom and living areas were at least sanitary. Lots of bleach water! I'm still sore from scrubbing everything!
Took off first thing yesterday for the drive back over with DD20. They wanted him to stay one more day, but his surgeon said he could go. He was doing so well, and all systems working, that they took the catheter out too. YAY.
He got amazing care from everyone at the hospital, but there is no privacy and you can't get any real rest as they wake you every 15 minutes for tests, blood, meds. He was VERY glad to be home and has enjoyed the quiet, privacy and he's now slept through the whole night.
Now just rest and continue to heal. He's doing great.

I've been pretty worn out, and slept for 4 hours yesterday afternoon myself! Hoping for a quiet day here with just getting him what he needs and a quick run to the store. I have to work tomorrow and through the weekend, so trying to get things more back to 'normal' here, but he has 4-6 weeks to just rest and heal.

He's now awake and I need to help him up and make some food.

Apologies for the delay on an update, but the hospital did not have wifi for patients or guests.

Hugs all around to my favorite ladies and will go back and read up on how you are when I get a quiet moment.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #169

Kaye so glad you checked in there is good news. Healing thought to your husband!!!
Hugs....
Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I opened my email this morning to a shared email thread of happy news. I love it when friends are able to help each other out! DS19's best friend is at the culinary institute of America and has to do an 18 month externship before he graduates. Anyway, we have a family friend that lives 3 or 4 hours from us here (she graduated with my uncle from HS) and she is married to a chef from France. One of their friends wanted their grand daughter to spend some time in the US this summer with a "typical American family" with kids about the same age, she is staying with the family of DS19's best friend (they have 7 kids and their only girl is about the same age as the granddaughter travelling from France) Anyway, my friend's DH was able to arrange the externship for DS19's best friend at a rather prestigious resort where he knows the chef quite well. I just love it when things work out like that!

I spent most of yesterday in meetings. Our evenings have been pretty open and its been rainy and chilly here so I've done some project type recipes the last couple of nights.

DS15 has "STAR" testing this week, so they have a weird schedule all week. Tomorrow he doesn't have to go to school until 10. (yesterday and today its 8:35, which is normal for Wednesdays, but the rest of the week his normal start time is 7am)

Kaye, so glad you got good news!

Debbie, I'm glad all of your running friends are okay! So sad!
Last night's recipe was a pork recipe and it was cooked on the broiler pan with water in the bottom to keep it moist.

Cindy, I could never eat a vegan diet, I like eggs, meat, seafood... all too much!
I'm not entirely convinced that a vegan diet is the healthiest for most people. (I don't think overeating animal protein is healthy either) I seem to feel best with a small/medium sized protein and lots of yummy veggies. Paleo seems to be a good fit for me because I don't have to overthink portion sizes and I don't have to be hungry. I could stand to lose a few lbs, but I like having a glass (or 2) of wine with DH in the evenings and that would need to go to lose weight, and I'm just not that motivated.

Sorry about everything with your brother. No one has a perfect family, but that's really tough!

Becky, you must be so excited! You all are going to have a great trip!

Jenn, don't know what's going on, but you know we're here if you need to "talk."

MK, I'm sure you're busy as always!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #171
Big Yapper!!!!

Cleaned my bird cage ad still have to sweep the floor. Need to go to the grocery after the girls leave with brad. Still need to color hair and pack... Sigh.

Lost .8 today. Not too upset since I didn't eat On program like I should have
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #172
Queen Bargain Shopper

Great news, Kaye!
and continued positive thoughts and prayers.

Kelly - I am with you - I also like to have my one, sometimes 2 Miller 64's. Life is to short to totally deprive yourself.

My hair looks amazing! My hairstylist just plain rocks.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #173

I don't care what the doctor says but even diabetics eat carbs. They just watch how much and stay away from sugar most of the time. I had a sweet potato for dinner with pork tenderloin and asparagus.

I did some cooling today.

Tomorrow the new grill and patio furnature is supposed to come. I won't go anywhere till it all comes.

Cindy, glad you love your hair.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #174
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

Wow! So much to respond to . . . .

Cindy - so sorry about your brother! Families can be so hard!
But I'm glad you're there for your parents and someday he'll see that he (and his kids) missed out on a lot!

Picture of your amazing hair please!

As I've aged, it's harder and harder to change my body (I've had a hysterectomy too) - but I do still think it's possible!
And don't give up if you really want the change. If you're happy, don't sweat it!
It's taken me a good 18 months with weight training to see a difference, but I do see it.
My stomach is flat and everything is so much tighter.
Clothes just hang better!

And giving up dairy isn't a choice for me, it's a necessity. But I do think it helps to keep my eating in check. Saying no to cheesecake, ice cream etc isn't hard at all. And there's always wine!

Debbie - You probably have a good nutritionist at the hospital, or just go online! Everything is probably there!

I have made pork loin - it's good!

Becky - I didn't know you'd never flown! Have a marvelous trip! And wear slip-on shoes!

Jenn - Oh honey! I hope you can see the light at the end of the tunnel! We're here for you!

Kelly - I agree with you about vegan - I've seen too many that overeat pasta, bread and foods that we know aren't good for us. I really like Paleo too - natural foods have to be good for you!

And it is great when things work out!

Kaye - Yay!! Sounds like DH had a good team and now you can all heal!!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #175
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok... mK. Why tho???? John doesn't know why slip on shoes too? Hurry back before I leave
Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Becky, slip on shoes because they make you take your shoes off to go through security. Its just easier without laces or zippers or whatever
Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #177
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, yeah, thank u
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MK, most people that I know that eat a vegetarian or vegan diet eat mostly junk food and/or are overweight or not healthy. I think it's possible to eat a healthy vegan diet but you have to work harder at it than eating more along the lines of paleo.

Debbie, of course not all carbs are bad, you'll find the right balance.

Cindy, new hair or just maintenance? I love my stylist too, I need to make an appointment soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #179

And becky you can't have anything in your pockets.

MK, I wish my stomach was flat. I have a roll of fat I need to get rid of. My weight is very stable but would live to lose 2-4 pounds.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #180
Big Yapper!!!!

Crash course for shortie flying, 101, glad u guys told me this stuff... U have til 5 am to think. Anything else I need to know
Closed Thread