Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hi Everyone - sorry about nasty weather, colds, and clothes feeling snug! Ecstatic for warm weather, holidays, hopeful new pups and great singing!

I'm currently eating too much - I'm a stress eater and I'm stressed - this is when a 'routine' or more of a disciplined way of eating helps - oh well....

I think I'll be heading to Oman in the next 3 weeks - DH still doesn't have his date - but I have things I need to be getting on with.

I'm hoping to run a training seminar in Dubai with my mentor from here - in June (so need to get the advertising etc underway). However, I am having some real problems working out if it's even allowed. ie, for a foreign company to advertise, charge and hold an educational event in the UAE, without having a 'sponsor'. I know you can in places like Cyprus and I don't see why not in the UAE - but things are always awkward!

And then I'm trying to work out how to set myself up as a business...
Offshore company (not UAE but elsewhere)
UAE Freezone (not sure how this will work with my Oman visa)
Local Sponsor in Oman - may have an old family friend lined up for this

The first option is easiest for me - but may not work. Don't want to maintain my Australian company for overseas, as I have to pay 30% tax and can't claim any expenses against it.

Then I have a friend very ill in hospital in Oman - and want to be there to help her - and I have to make sure I've packed up here - and what if DH's visa doesn't come through soon!!!

I'm a drama queen - but it means I'm eating! Today is a new day - so let's see how I cope!

Good luck to everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
So sorry I can't be with you to help Vicky. Sometimes is hate the distance between us.

I have no idea about the legal situation. No used at all really except to say I love you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I don’t think being stressed by all that makes you a drama queen, Vicky! Good luck with all of it.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: blotto76
Stats: 175.25/163/140
WOE: Atkins first time round, Dukan now
Start Date: 5 May 2008/restart 17 June 2013 (Dukan)
So sorry about the osteo Shy, but thank good news no RA.

Hope you get your eating back on track Mint, dsepite all the dramas. I'm a comfort/stress eater too.

Ailuros, have a fantastic holiday!

x
blotto76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Morning all. Hope that you are still all OK...Still freezing here in the UK brrr..yesterday was the first day of some serious sunshine for nearly 1 year I think.

Well because I got invited to a randomly organised surprise birthday party yesterday the DD went out of the window....so back on track today with black coffee. Scales did not look good this morning as a result of too much carb yesterday I think. Didn't overeat just think it was the content of the carbs and salt probably. Food was not carb friendly.

Hope that you all get off to a good start...I.m on black coffee so far...and will eat my 500 cals later
lola5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
Shy: sending good thoughts!

Vicky: can't help you, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you in this stressful time for you.

Everyone else: Hi!!!!!

I'm better now, thanks for all the good wishes!

Have been reading lots, had lots of time, LOL!

Have also been thinking a lot about weightloss, health, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that my weight is not going to go anywhere if I don't take care of my health first. So, the candida has to go. The hayfever has to go. The wheat issue has to go. (not sure about the last one, LOL) I am fed up with being worried about eye flare ups too, so that will have to be dealth with too.

I own Nourishing Traditions, and never really did anything with it. I want to stay LC, and I know that fasting for 24 hours at least one day a week is of benefit to my health, so I think I'll start incorporating that into my diet.

More fermented and raw foods too. I actually found out that I could buy raw milk in my local health/organic supermarket!!!! I am going to stay away from all non raw milk products, to see if this helps my immune system and also I am adding some fermented foods to my diet more regularly, like saurkraut, kefir, pickles/cornichons, homemade yogurt and soured cream. I am going to try and incorporate regular cups of homemade bone broth. I may be brave and make some fish bone broth... And, no more raw unsoaked nuts. I eat too many nuts and unsoaked they do more harm than good.

Anyway, I will still stick with LC (the high fat, moderate protein/low carb version) but I will try and incorporate a fasting day or two a week, I will add the above into my diet somehow, hopefully this will help!

Todays menu:

B: bulletproof coffee (ok, apparently coffee is no good either, LOL)
L: caesar salad with homemade dressing, and grilled feta straight from the farm made from organic unpasturised sheep's milk.
D: cooked spinach and beef burgers with a side of saurkraut.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Mimosa...how about de-caff coffee...would that be better maybe?

Sounds like you know that you need to do some tweeking...but all looks good.

Whats the thing with unsoaked nuts then don't know about that?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Nuts and seeds contain naturally phytic acid and/or enzyme inhibitors and/or goitrogens which protects the nut or seed, but it is not very good for humans. By soaking them you get rid of this and the nut or seed becomes better to digest. After soaking you can dry them in the oven with some sea salt, makes a really yummy crunchy snack!

ETA: regarding coffee, I like it too much and the caffeine is what makes it better. I think up to two cups is acceptable according to WAP (Weston A Price foundation). I do know they advocate not drinking coffee. For now, as I'm trying to incorporate more live/fermented foods into my diet, I'm sure that coffee is the last thing that I will change!

Last edited by Mimosa23; 04-08-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #39

Quote:
i dont have Rheumatoid arthritis (YAAAY) but i do have osteo arthritis and fibromyalgia to go with the RSI (not so yaay but better than RA!!!!
I am hopeless, how did I miss this, think I got distracted by Vicky's post. I am so sorry Shy, yet another thins for you to cope with. But, as you say, it could be worse. But don't think we won't give you a kick!

Yes, looking after your health is a great idea Chloe. You can do this.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
thanks kissa but was so glad it wasnt RA and yes still kick me, it hurts alread so a few kicks aint gonna make a differnce.

mimosa i couldnt give up my coffee either even tho it has its downsides

x
shykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #41

Get cooking that bacon shy, and the eggs and your LC bread!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I’m off today on the trip to France that I’ve been talking about for months! Be good, and I’ll see you in a couple of weeks (though it’s possible I’ll check in on my phone along the way ).
Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Mimosa: Have a lovely time and I hope that the weather is good for you. As for giving up coffee...hmmmm no way.

Hi to everyone else.

I.ve been good on JUDDD...although I still panic on the UD's in case I eat too much. And then beat myself up that I have eaten too much. I was starving yesterday after Monday's DD so needed to eat yesterday lol.

Hope that all the people with this awful virus and lurgies are getting over them. I thought the cold weather was supposed to kill all those germs.

I.ve just heard on the radio that they now think that corned beef has horse meat in it. I lurrrrve corned beef....not sure it will stop me eating it I.ve not grown bigger teeth or started naying yet lol

Nothing exciting to tell off to work all day today so will check in laters.

Last edited by lola5k; 04-10-2013 at 12:42 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Minosa, Lola & Shy, I could never ever give up coffee either. I'd rather give up wine, and that's saying something!

Ailuros, have a super holiday. Enjoy a croissant or two for me please.

Lola, hope juddd going okay - you need to let go over the overeating hang ups young lady! Haha on the corned beed front - wouldn't put me off, I'm sure we all eat worse things without knowing it. If it tastes good, what does it matter if it's got horse in it?

9 more sleeps til my hols, woo hoo! Wish I could lose a couple of stone before then though, haha!

x
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wanted to lose a couple of stone before mine too. I managed about half a stone. But I’m not going to let the remaining one and a half spoil my fun .
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all!

Another two days of no network at work, so nothing to do!!!!!!!!!!! Driving me absolutely batty!
I brought my own laptop in so at least I could do something....

I think I'm growing quite bored with the whole network problem thing here!

Anyway, nothing much to say at the moment, so here's my menu:

B: homemade quark
L: buffalo mozarella, tomato, basil and then a salad with tuna, saurkraut, lettuce and an olive oil/flax oil dressing
D: scrambled eggs, nitrite free bacon and some wild garlic leaves
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mimosa argggh to netwrk

ailuros have a great time

blotto looks like u may have timed it right, good weather on its way so they say

everyone else keep being good and enjoy the sun
x
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TRISTAR
Stats: 273.8/273.8/139
WOE: Low Carb
Good to see some UK people on here. Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, but an old timer to low carbing.
TRISTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My lovely friend who was unwell, has sadly not pulled through and died this morning. She had gone in for Gastric Bypass surgery, she got through that relatively unscathed, she did get an infection, but they were getting that under control when she got hit by a bug - nothing scary, something we all have in our gut but it was too much for her to handle, she remained sedated for most of the past few weeks and last night her heart started to fail, and this morning she suffered a heart attack (or was it more of an arrest?) this morning and they couldn't bring her back.

I announce here and now, I will lose the weight for both of us!

I loved her so much, I can't believe I won't see her and have laughs with her again.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Tristar

Sorry to put a damper on your entrance. Welcome!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #51

Hi Tristar, we are rum bunch here, all doing our own plans though we all come from LC. And have all had success with is too.

Dearest Vicky, it is just too horrible for you. I was so fond of her too but you were all such dear friends, for, what must it be, 24 years?

I have been reading the Facebook outpourings with tears in my eyes. Wish I could be nearer to give you some serious Mummy love. X
Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Vicky so sorry to hear your sad news..That is a lovely thought and hopefully a huge incentive for you to lose weight for you both.

God Bless her....

Last edited by lola5k; 04-10-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sorry to hear your bad news mint. hugs

tristar nice to meet u, sorry u have joined at a sad time we are usually much more cheeful. tell us about u, where do u live, how long and what plan etc etc

x
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Junoesque
Stats: Size 18-20/14-16/12
WOE: Atkins. Ish.
Start Date: Re-started 1 January 2006
Oh Vicky, I am so sorry for your loss! Sending my love to you, and to Kissa too. What a horrible shock.

Tristar, hello, welcome! Do tell us a bit more about yourself

Ailuros, sorry sweetie I think I missed you - but I hope you have un séjour merveilleux en France, and am bloody jealous of all that fantastic French food (was trying to sneak over the border myself but plans got a bit snarled up).

Mimosa, GOOD LUCK with getting the candida out of the system, you have obviously done a whole ton of research and I KNOW you have the willpower!! Go you.

Lola, I had to laugh at the corned beef - go for it. Totally agree with Blotto on that one! Goodness, haven't even thought of corned beef for years. Funny the things you don't miss!

Blotto, I've said it before - WHERE would you lose two stone from??? Unless you cut a leg off or something. Which would be a shame.

Shy, wow sorry, yes it's not RA but it must also of course be difficult. BIG HUGS!!! We'll kick you as needed, just think that if you hadn't lost all that weight before all these horrible health problems, they'd probably be worse...

Jan, have your painters gone? Or have you got used to the basement and not popped up to check? Had to look up Field Spaniels - gorgeous!!

Anyone I missed, I'm really sorry. And anyone lurking, hello!!

I am still in one piece despite the spring STILL refusing to turn up properly. I thought it was hopeful at the weekend and sprang on my bike - nearly 40k to go and see some cats at a friend's house (they were beautiful, however; totally worth it). Then the horrible pressure moved in, with the wind and rain, and for the last two days I've felt like my eyeballs were being squashed. Argh. Trying to refresh the modern opera role as I'm singing it tomorrow and my brain hurts...

Have had a few evenings of carb loading in order to try and get some sleep. Was hoping to be on salads by now but the weather is making me crave treacle tart... good thing I don't have an oven, huh?

Please, spring, please. I need to get on my bike more and feel the fresh air in my hair and eat cold stuff and envision chilled beer...
Junoesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #55

Juno the weather men are promising us 20 at the weekend! Please may he be right.

Wish I could go to France with Ailuros.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you everyone. It doesn't seem real, although I know it is.

Hope the weather does improve.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Vicky, so sorry about your dear friend. Thinking of you and spurring you on with your goal to lose weight for both of you.

Tristar, Do tell us about yourself.

Kissa, oh please please please let the weatherman be right!!

Juno, believe me, I've gained so much weight, I could definitely do with losing two stone. So annoyed with myself at gaining it, grr.

Mim, hope the network problems are resolved by now.

Ailuros, hope you're having fun in bonny France!

Shy, Lola, hello my lovelies :-)

And Jan and Blondie, where are you both hiding?!

Happy weekend all - I intend to work on my tan in readiness for my trip and start digging out my winter clothes to see if anything still fits me - I fear not, argh!

x
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Vicky, sending you good thoughts. Very sorry to hear about your friend.

Tristar, Nice to 'see' a new face here!!!!

Ailuros, bon voyage and I hope you have a lovely time en France!

Shy: hope there's light at the end of the tunnel for your health issues. Sending good healing thoughts for you.

Juno: how did the singing go? And hurrah for the spring, apparently on Sunday it will be 20 degrees and sunny!!!!! (I'm bracing myself for the pollen reaction, but I'll take the sunshine!)

Jan: I love spaniels! My parents have got a springer spaniel puppy. He's so full of joy and sweet! We also used to have one when I was little.

Kissa: Hope all is well.

Lola: how's it going on JUDDD? I'm planning my day of fasting for Sunday. I only am going to do one or two a week, as I want the health aspects. I was planning on doing a 24 hour fast, and breaking it with a low calorie low carb dinner and then fasting till the morning again. We'll see...

Blotto: Can I sneak myself in your suitcase when you go? I so need a sunny holiday! Have fun tanning and preparing!

Everyone else I have rudely missed: pop in! Would be nice to hear how you are doing!

Well, we finally have network again at work. Two days of nothing. Ridiculous.
Anyway, got lots of work to catch up on. No time to get annoyed with the grey rainy weather out there.
Diet wise: I'm adding more fermented foods to my diet and eating more traditionally orientated foods. So far not much to say, only I'm sleeping like a log and feel kind of empty in my body. Some bloating is also gone. Now for the fat, LOL!

My menu today:

B: homemade yogurt from organic raw milk, bee pollen (for minerals and hayfever help) a tsp of raw honey from a local beekeeper (for hayfever and gut health)
L: large salad made from mixed leaves, wild garlic leaves (yay, it's in season again!), radish sprouts, purslane and avocado. This is mixed with steamed wild atlantic salmon and a dressing made from organic extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed organic flax oil, organic soured cream, some grated parmesan, a squeeze of lemon and some seasalt and pepper. On the side some whey fermented saurkraut.
D: 2 organic free range scrambled eggs and nitrite free organic bacon, a cup of homemade beef bone and marrow broth, and a small serving of my homemade yogurt.

This is not a cheap diet. Glad I got a significant pay rise yesterday!
It's also a time consuming diet. Preparation time takes up a lot of my free hours! Thankfully I love cooking, LOL!

My next experiment will be making my own kefir and saurkraut and other whey fermented veggies... OMG, my BF will probably think I've gone completely insane, LOL!

Last edited by Mimosa23; 04-11-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #59

Yay on the pay rise and the healthy eating. I expect BF has worked that out already, lol. Your 5:2 plan sounds great. I often do it that way, but you don't ruin the health benefits if you do need a small snack before the evening. Be gentle with yourself.

I didn't realise you had gained so much Blotto. I know how hard it is with the Expat life.

DD here today and I am looking forward to it. I had not one, but two, slices of lemon polenta cake yesterday, then a curry takeaway. But after yesterday's news, comfort food was called for.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/139/133 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
So cross that I just typed a record long post (for me!) and lost it all. Ugh.

In summary...;

Vicky - So sad for you - what dreadful news about your dear friend. Hope you can keep going with all the other stuff you have going on. Thinking of you.

Kissa - have fun with DD. The polenta cake sounds yummy.

Lola - I agree, if it's corned beef you want, go for it!

Mimosa - your food prep sounds so interesting. I fear I am too much of an instant gratification sort of girl to put in the necessary time to ferment, etc. Wouldn't it be fun to all have a holiday together and sample each other's menus?

Shy - soon you have to deal with both osteo arthritis AND fibromyalgia. I hope your docs can give you what you need to make them bearable.. Let's hope some nicer weather will help.

Ailuros - have a lovely time in la belle France. Wish I was there too!

Blotto- have a wonderful tie catching up with family and friends. I agree that you can't possibly need to lose 2 stones - you're all muscle lady! Don't think about the number on the scale, just how fab and fit you look!

Juno - you make me want to get my bike out, and I hate cycling! But the fresh air and cold beer would make it worthwhile!

Blondie - glad you are enjoying the new job still. Are you still working out as much as you were? Hope the kids are all well.

I am counting down the days to my trip on the 23rd. I am now officially out of the basement! I need to focus on a particular WOE as I have been floundering, and not losing! If I'm honest, low carb juddd does work for me. I just need to start! Meanwhile I am excited about seeing Fleetwood Mac in concert next week. Yay.

Welome to the pack, Tristar. Jump right in and tell us about yourself

Hi to anyone I have missed.

J x

Last edited by janj; 04-11-2013 at 03:12 AM..
janj is offline   Reply With Quote