Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Thanks Liz! So glad the PMS has left the building!

Thanks Danielle! My nephew hates Tuna as well... weirdos Sorry to hear about the family stuff - and the rice & nutterbutters! You're probably right, though, and the reduced stress will help you focus on you. You are worth all of the work leading up to October!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/210/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Good morning all!!

I'm here. Sorry, I did get kidnapped by my own story, actually...among other things.

Danielle, I'm thinking about "go back to your desk and finish eating your butter!!"

I agree, I think your weight loss will progress now that the last of the toxic family members (new band name: the Toxics ) have been evicted from your FB. Good for you, gf!! The Toxics don't deserve one more second of your energy and time that can be better spent on your wonderful husband and kids and friends. Like us, for example.

Liz, you live in a beautiful place -- what a lovely farm! -- and good job on the running!! I'm with Monica, I walk. I want to run, it's a dream of mine too so I get that, but I walk for now to avoid injuries. One of these days I'll run on the beach, though.

Tami, on the doggy-medicine thing, and I know you'll find something that works. It's the worry that gets us, huh? I feel ya on that. I've been thinking about worry lately and how much time I spend on it and how bad it makes me feel, no matter what the outcome! I'm determined to do less worrying, because life is always going to give me something to worry about, right? Trouble is, now I'm worrying about trying to worry less.

Congratulations on your new 2 pound loss!! WTG!!

Monica, I don't understand why no salads, and no stir-fry? Is it a digestive issue? Maybe a broth-based soup would work better instead?

Congratulations to Haven on her transition. Great job!!

Me... not much to report here, keeping on keeping on. I'm having a non-worrying DD today, including not worrying about my health. I think I've got diverticulosis (benign, slightly uncomfortable sometimes). My doctor thinks I should eat more fiber.

Does anyone else have this?

Good day everyone!!

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lize636
Stats: 225/172/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov 2009, restart March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Liz~ so so glad that you're feeling better!! I'm in pms hell right now and just trying to not eat the counter most days

Had an awesome day all day yesterday and then for whatever dumb reason I ate rice at dinner and then ate some nutterbutter's.. No idea why..I just did. Scale hates me. +.4

180+ days left before my lil trip and I'm pissing the days away with dumb-a$$ choices...I'm very annoyed with myself! Buckling down starting today. I do truly want to see major progress by Oct and I'm not going to with all the shenanigans I've been up to.

I said sayonara to the last 2 family members on my FB and I'm hoping that the release of all that emotional baggage tied to all that drama is going to help me mentally be able to start taking my weight loss seriously. Sad that it's all gone down this way but it is what it is at this point. I'm a-okay with it, I'm a survivor, I'm alot stronger than anyone EVER counted on..my kids are amazing, healthy, and safe and I have a husband who is absolutely bananas about me. It's all I need!
Sorry I think I passed the PMS on to you ...as they say this to shall pass.

I agree with you the added stress doesn't help staying on track. I hope now that you have weeded out the issues you can move onward and downward!!
Lize636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post

Me... not much to report here, keeping on keeping on. I'm having a non-worrying DD today, including not worrying about my health. I think I've got diverticulosis (benign, slightly uncomfortable sometimes). My doctor thinks I should eat more fiber.

Does anyone else have this?

Good day everyone!!

Lynne
I am beginning to think I have issues as well but I am to scared to go to the doctor!!! I never have been "regular" and with this diet its has really made it worse. I also get sharp pains in my lower stomach. I always thought it was my ovaries until I had that checked out and my doctor told me that your intestines are right in the same area. I hope you get it figured out, I know it's not fun!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Aw, Lynne, thanks for the hugs & the kudos. I am such a horrible worry wart. It's something I've been trying to work on as well, but I honestly don't think I'm making much progress... and yeah, worrying about worrying doesn't help <gg> Sorry to hear about your tummy. I don't have any experience, but have heard it can be quite unpleasant. Isn't that one of the things that removing wheat is supposed to help with? Couldn't hurt to try?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #186
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
I just totally went and won tickets to see Jillian Michaels! I can't believe it!!!

That is all!.............................
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just totally went and won tickets to see Jillian Michaels! I can't believe it!!! That is all!.............................
OMG... how cool is that?!? Congrats!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just totally went and won tickets to see Jillian Michaels! I can't believe it!!!

good for you!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #189
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:

AWESOME!!!!!! She is the ROCK STAR of weight loss. How exciting!!!!!!!!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #190

Quote:
Monica, I don't understand why no salads, and no stir-fry? Is it a digestive issue? Maybe a broth-based soup would work better instead?
Not tummy issues, MENTAL! I have eaten so much of them lately I think I have OD'd on them! I get that way. If I eat too much of XX then I get to where just smelling it can make me sick! FREAK Is what I am!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #191

Liz - do you eat any flax meal? I can tell you when I LC'd, I ate the OMM every morning as "toast" for my egg sandwich and it kept me regular. Not everyone can eat it and not that often. I can tell you, it CHANGED my POOP! TMI!!! So YMMV!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #192

Lynne - don't let those VAMPIRES run your life. I know I have had times where they RUN MINE!

Tami - all ready for your trip. Sunday will be here quickly!

Danielle - way to rid yourself of the Toxics! You don't deserve having to deal with their B $ hit! Life is too short. Be done and move on.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Liz - do you eat any flax meal? I can tell you when I LC'd, I ate the OMM every morning as "toast" for my egg sandwich and it kept me regular. Not everyone can eat it and not that often. I can tell you, it CHANGED my POOP! TMI!!! So YMMV!

I dont eat Flax but would love to try it if it helps!! what is OMM and YMMV..... sorry I am young but so not hip to all these acronyms!!! I work in a world of acronyms but they wouldn't mean anything to people outside of my job lol!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Tami - all ready for your trip. Sunday will be here quickly!
Almost Tomorrow I'm helping the kids with their taxes & updating their FAFSA apps and they can help me get the van ready to go. I need to add chains, which is just silly, but they're expecting snow over the pass on the way to her house Sunday. Doubt it would be enough to require chains, but better safe than sorry I guess. She's right off of Interstate 90 which is the longest and northernmost coast to coast interstate in the country, running from Seattle to Boston. I thought that was kind of cool trivia. lol. I'm really not ready for cold weather, though! We've been so spoiled here lately! Packing is pretty much done & what's left is easy stuff. I've got all of the doggy & house care instruction sheets, contact info, etc. printed and hung up in obvious places. Getting there

Liz, OMM stands for One Minute Muffin. You make them in a mug (or a bowl) and they take just a couple of minutes to prepare. Here's the basic recipe, but you can tweak it so many ways:

1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffe cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out

For what it's worth my microwave always took a bit longer than a minute, but you'll see the muffin start pulling away from the side of the mug a bit when it's done. When I was working I used to mix all of the dry ingredients into single serve baggies and throw a baggie & an egg in a mug & prepare at work during my break. We had butter there, but I pretty much never used any butter or oil in the actual recipe only topped with butter & ate out of the mug with a spoon.

YMMV stands for your mileage may vary The flax has a ton of fiber, though, so really is a good idea.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #195
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks ladies for being supportive regarding my familial drama. It took me a really long time to understand that it's ok to not be "friends" with family..that I don't *have* to have them in my life just because we are related..but then, all I was ever taught was to suck it up because that's what you do when family's treating you like crap..you take it and then don't discuss it. In therapy I had to learn that having a family intact was actually the minority and that there are more families severed than together.. that shocked me.

Lynne~ Funny about the butter lady...ugh she was the absolute worst teacher ever. I hear she stopped teaching a couple years ago..supposedly to be home with her kids...I say it's cause she wanted to keep eating her butter and didn't have time while teaching!

Monica~ I had to laugh at your poop comments Those flax muffins are little miracle workers! I need to get back to eating those, my tummy loved them!

Tami~ Ahhhh, the lovely FAFSA tax fun!! ...NOT! Did all the kids taxes last month and got them doing their Fafsa stuff...and darnit it if every year that stupid thing comes back with something that needs to be changed...so dumb!! And now the stupid thing where tax transcripts have to come directly from the IRS to go to the office at the college...ridic!

Liz~ When your kids are teenagers you will be amazed at what a pro you will become to acronyms! My girls sometimes TALK to me in acronyms it's crazy and I actually understand!
-------------

Well the stupid scale is telling me that it's gonna climb higher several days AFTER an indiscretion despite eating clean again. .. not a happy girl but I own it. Just another reason to remember to keep my butt firmly planted inside the wagon and not to wander off doing my own thing.

Craziness with the JIllian tickets! When I'd heard she was doing a tour I was stoked and really wanted to go.. however, the best seats were upwards of $100...the VIP tix were like $150..and even the nosebleed's were still $50.. ......... After spending a small fortune on P!NK tickets(and of course I *had* to have the look-up-her-nose-and-see-her-fillings tickets! ).. and then knowing we were going to buy tickets for Depeche Mode the same week Jillian's tix went on sale...I was outta luck. Randomly signed up for some thing on FB of hers that I saw on Twitter and forgot about it... Surprise! Surprise! The universe is trying to tell me something, huh? Apparently alot of her new book and what she's lecturing about is about emotional baggage tied to weight and unhealthy living.. things that I have struggled with for sure the last couple years! Going to buy her book this afternoon so I can get a jumpstart on what she's talking about. Definitely a timely event for me and I am so excited!

DD16 was home again yesterday with tummy problems.. I think it's either a gluten thing or a yeast thing. Poor kid. Doing my best to eliminate the gluten from her diet is gonna be hard, she's a teenager afterall! We went and bought some cereals, waffles and some granola bars that are GF..things that she absolutely loves to eat.. We had a pretty light dinner last night that totally agreed with her belly so I think we are on to something. She is a carbaholic like her mama, she loves her snacks and her chocolate! This is gonna be an adventure for sure but I'm hoping that the prospect of feeling like crap if she eats the bad stuff is enough to make her want to stick to a clean way of eating.

Have a beautiful day lovelies!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
Almost Tomorrow I'm helping the kids with their taxes & updating their FAFSA apps and they can help me get the van ready to go. I need to add chains, which is just silly, but they're expecting snow over the pass on the way to her house Sunday. Doubt it would be enough to require chains, but better safe than sorry I guess. She's right off of Interstate 90 which is the longest and northernmost coast to coast interstate in the country, running from Seattle to Boston. I thought that was kind of cool trivia. lol. I'm really not ready for cold weather, though! We've been so spoiled here lately! Packing is pretty much done & what's left is easy stuff. I've got all of the doggy & house care instruction sheets, contact info, etc. printed and hung up in obvious places. Getting there

Liz, OMM stands for One Minute Muffin. You make them in a mug (or a bowl) and they take just a couple of minutes to prepare. Here's the basic recipe, but you can tweak it so many ways:

1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffe cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out

For what it's worth my microwave always took a bit longer than a minute, but you'll see the muffin start pulling away from the side of the mug a bit when it's done. When I was working I used to mix all of the dry ingredients into single serve baggies and throw a baggie & an egg in a mug & prepare at work during my break. We had butter there, but I pretty much never used any butter or oil in the actual recipe only topped with butter & ate out of the mug with a spoon.

YMMV stands for your mileage may vary The flax has a ton of fiber, though, so really is a good idea.
Thanks!! I will have to give it a try sounds pretty yummy!!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Liz~ When your kids are teenagers you will be amazed at what a pro you will become to acronyms! My girls sometimes TALK to me in acronyms it's crazy and I actually understand!
-------------

DD16 was home again yesterday with tummy problems.. I think it's either a gluten thing or a yeast thing. Poor kid. Doing my best to eliminate the gluten from her diet is gonna be hard, she's a teenager afterall! We went and bought some cereals, waffles and some granola bars that are GF..things that she absolutely loves to eat.. We had a pretty light dinner last night that totally agreed with her belly so I think we are on to something. She is a carbaholic like her mama, she loves her snacks and her chocolate! This is gonna be an adventure for sure but I'm hoping that the prospect of feeling like crap if she eats the bad stuff is enough to make her want to stick to a clean way of eating.

Have a beautiful day lovelies!

Sorry to hear about DD16 that really stinks! But maybe knowing this now will help get her on track and keep her from going through this years down the road. Plus its always easier to eat low carb when you are not alone!!! Wishing her and you the best of luck
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post

1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

1.5 Carbs

Thanks tami! I used that same recipe minus the cinnamon and I added several shakes of salt!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #199

Quote:

There is a GF Bisquick you can buy. It helps me with making pizza and the other things I miss that have gluten. Let me know if you need more recipes. Truly, if it is possible, Dennis had made it GF!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/210/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Good morning everyone!!

Tami, oh no, I'm afraid you hit the nail on the proverbial head with the wheat thing. I love (stupid) wheat. Sigh.

Liz, you are going to love OMMs, I'll bet. They are so easy, and so good for you, and so yummy! I like to melt butter and SF davinci syrup (banana?) together to pour over the top. I also like to sub a little coconut flour (just a little, it sucks up water like crazy) for some of the golden flaxmeal for a cake texture and even more fiber.

I hafta google the acronyms, I don't know what 90% of them mean. I've got no teenager around here to teach me.

Danielle, how cool is it that you won Jillian Michaels tickets!! Woohoo!!

(Um...am I the only one that thinks that Jillian started out in life as a MAN?? Or boy, I guess would be more accurate. Not that there's anything wrong with that: You go girl.)

On DD16 having to go gluten-free and get her yogurt on: it's good to feel good, she's gonna love that part.

Also when you're 16, maybe it's not such a bad thing to have a trendy disorder (I would have LOVED IT at 16, media tart that I am). Look at all the beautiful celebrities who are gluten free! Zooey Deschanel? Mariel Hemingway? Drew Brees? She's in very good company. There's even a word for it: DD16 is now officially a glutenista!

Monica, there's a testimonial for you: OMMs Changed My POOP!!

Maybe it's time to cycle back to protein shakes? They were pretty good for a while, a long time ago.

Me... I'm taking it easy today because I hurt my back yesterday. I'm on the mend now, but getting older has its drawbacks.

TGI-UD!! (I don't think Google could even figure out that one - tgi up day)

Lynne
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #201
Blabbermouth!!!

Liz~ Thank you! I will be thrilled if this turns out to be an easy fix for her. She is such a lively girl who is spirited and funny..it really sucks when she's not feeling good and just laying around. I think she, out of anyone in the family "get it"..she gets the philosophy behind lc eating and the benefits from staying away from wheat etc.. One good thing is that she is a gym girl and she loves to exercise so she is ahead of the game IMO!

Monica~ Definitely need recipes! Anything that is *kid approved*..she eats very basic and simple, like I said, she is picky.. no fish and not alot of red meat. Most veggies she is willing to try at least once if she hasn't had it before..

So far so good, no phone calls from the school so I can only assume that the food she ate this morning and what she took for lunch has agreed with her belly.

Lynne~ DD16 will LOVE the title!! We were talking alittle last night and I was trying to spin it into a positive thing and I think she likes the idea of being different. Then again, she is already kinda different in that she is uber smart..but this title is unique comparitively speaking. I can't wait to share it with her!

RE: Jillian..Yes, the girl is definitely a buff lil thing She has arms that I'd kill for but alas I think the only thing I can hope for with weightloss is some Batwings with less swing...

Sorry about the back! Age does kinda suck, huh? Feel better quick!!!

Tami~ hope the packing prep is going ok and you haven't strangled any one of the kiddos with the snow chains!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

LOL Danielle! No one's been strangled yet... tomorrow is 'kid' financial day.. I did my own taxes months ago. The older one has his FAFSA done so will just need to amend it with current info. The younger... eh... that's why we're doing them together, before I leave. Younger will still be at JC for sure, so no real deadline to get his done. Hoping to keep stress to a minimum tomorrow, but still not looking forward to it. Last year's the first time we had to do them at all and I remember thinking it was easier than I anticipated. Hope that still holds true! Good luck with the kiddo & her tummy... love the glutenista term

Lynne, I hear you on the wheat, but it makes me feel pretty icky... you're a baker, though, how about some of the nut flours? I don't know for sure about Jillian, but I think a lot of the female fitness competitors look pretty manly. Don't know if it's the low body fat? Something in the supplements they use, or what. I'd still trade her bodies in a heartbeat!

Monica, I love the sweet cinnamon muffins, but I bet they make really decent bread without the cinnamon!

Oh, and Liz, you can usually find flax meal just about anywhere. Our local wally world has it, but I remember having to search the shelves for it. It wasn't where I would have expected it, but it was there.

Dragging today.... big yawn escaping as I typed that... thinking about a nap... maybe my body wants to prep for the trip <gg>
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #203
Blabbermouth!!!

Tami~ FAFSA has been streamlined like crazy...my first year of school it was insane. Thankfully by the time the other 2 needed it they'd fixed alot of dumb issues with it and shortened alot of the redundancy. DD18 will be at JC for another year.. honestly that kid... I think she is changing her major but hasn't said anything.. honestly, if I could shake her alittle bit and get her eyeballs to hit the jackpot windows like a slot machine I would..She is being stubborn and wanting to play the *I-know-what-I'm-doing-quit-bothering-me-and-making-me-feel-like-a-kid* attitude that nothing I say will get through right now.. only thing I can do is let her stumble alittle bit.. Sheesh, I think if all 3 of the kids were like DD16 I'd wonder what the heck to do, I'd be twiddling my thumbs for the rest of my life The girl is seriously on track with everything.. Scarily so!

Funny you mentioned flax meal...after the talk of OMM today I wanted to make some muffins.. we go to walcrap after school and darnit if they were't all out. Oh well, tomorrow I guess!

Question for anyone that knows, regarding GF bread that's sold in the freezer.... Do you have to leave it out to unthaw pieces as you want them, can you micro them, or...???? DD found some she wanted but I didn't know what the heck to do with it! I was just happy it was only $4.50 instead of $500!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #204

Warning a lot of the GF breads are horrible !!!! They should be kept frozen and all that I have tried need to be toasted to be tolerable . All the rice breads are YUCK!! They are so dense and dry they are only good for making dressing. I currently eat a Milet Chia GF bread. Makes great toast!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #205

Also if you are wanting her to be totally GF, you will need a separate toaster and separate butter and PB. Look in any butter/PB tub and you see bread crumbs. It's totally Toxic Gluten.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #206

Betty Crocker makes GF yellow and devils food cake mixes. Brownie and Chocolate chip cookie mixes. I will say, I have a GF brownie mix that is much better than the box.

Oh and all those mixes do better if you add 1 or 2 T sour cream
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #207

Health food stores would have the millet chia bread if she doesn't like the one she picked out. Remember they have to be toasted!!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #208

Corn tortilla 's are a nice sub for flour ones
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #209
Blabbermouth!!!

We bought her a new toaster today that's off limits to everyone else.. She doesn't eat butter and she actually has her own pb I was afraid that the bread might be ick..that's a bummer! She got some waffles, I hope their good! they looked really yummy

We actually had one of the brownie mixes in the cart and put it back for now until we get her going some more with the frest veggies, etc.. she'll hone in on the junk instead of what she should be eating..!

Mmm, and she loves corn tortillas so that's good!

Last edited by DesertGurl; 04-11-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #210

Chex has a bunch of GF cereals and Cocoa Pebbles are GF . Rice crispies are not.