Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #421
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Gina - I love reading too! I could lose hours and hours just sitting in a corner, on a stump, in a hole (doesn't matter WHERE) reading!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Danielle has been missing a long time. HORRIBLY worried about her!
I know I hope we hear from her soon x
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Good morning!!

Gina, your dad lives in Prineville? (Translation: Outback, Oregon ) What are the odds of somebody from the UK having a close family member way out here?? Story please!

Congratulations on the whoosh fairy visits, Gina and Liz!! Now pass her along, please.

Monica, the LOVE is beautiful!! You are ALL crafty, imho. I'm partial to the O, but they're all just SO great.

I love reading, too. It's the great joy of my life (along with Gavin!) and I love my Kindle but there is really something special about a genuine paper BOOK. I like the way they smell.

Danielle, check in please if you can. We're all terribly worried. She hasn't posted anything on LCF since 5/1.

Liz, I just love the garden plan. I've been looking out at my garden beds saying, "meh". But you're inspiring me.

You like the Maryland crabs, huh? Might have to try those if we can find them. We've got Dungeness out here on the left coast, and I'm pretty fond of those, too. It's amazing how many species of crabs there are!!

Tami, I know you'll let us know when you check in, but I'm wondering how the doggies new medicine is working out.

Me... it's amazing what 2 more hours of available time will do for you! I had NO IDEA but I should have sent that kid on the bus years ago probably. Oh well.

I'm using my new free time to develop a new Kindle book (yes, I'm multi-tasking, those who are impatiently waiting for vampires - but a writer's gotta eat ) which is a collection of my best interviews from Electric Cars are for Girls. I've got a coach teaching me the fiddly bits of formatting and pricing and such. She's from Sydney, and we're meeting via Skype on Monday. What a world we live in.

Also: I'm interviewing a young man today who has applied to be a part time care provider for Gavin and has passed the background check. I'd love for Gav to have an energetic young man to take him to the park and push him on the swing, or play ball, or go to the beach!

My car is now gone, but I can take a LOT of taxi rides for the price of a car and gas and insurance. Funny how I never figured that out before.

So...I think things are starting to look up for us!!

I'm going to get back on track with my DDs before Gina, Liz, and Tami leave me in the dust entirely!! Game ON!!

TGIF, all!! Back to work for me -

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Good morning!!

I'm using my new free time to develop a new Kindle book (yes, I'm multi-tasking, those who are impatiently waiting for vampires - but a writer's gotta eat )

Also: I'm interviewing a young man today who has applied to be a part time care provider for Gavin and has passed the background check. I'd love for Gav to have an energetic young man to take him to the park and push him on the swing, or play ball, or go to the beach!

TGIF, all!! Back to work for me -

Lynne
OK did I mention I am NOT patiently waiting!?!?!?!? I can't wait to hear how the interview goes. I agree, I bet Gavin will really shine with a little male influence. Not that you aren't a GREAT Mom, but I can see where he would get great benefit from it!

I am so proud of YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Gina, your dad lives in Prineville? (Translation: Outback, Oregon ) What are the odds of somebody from the UK having a close family member way out here?? Story please!
My parents got divorced about 11 years ago, my Dad met Jeri (His new wife) online and moved to Portland, Oregon. They got married the day after the decree absolute. They moved out to Prineville about 18 months ago, I've not been to visit since they moved but my boyfriend, Wayne is a massive fan of all things cowboy (Possibly the only guy in Manchester who wears a cowboy hat!!) so when my Dad told us the sherrifs office actually has a hitching post outside and sent us photos of cowboys herding cows through the town think it convinced him he wants to visit too although unlike me who's travelled all over the world including living in Japan for 6 months my boyfriend has never actually left the country!!

Read my journal Asthma/Fibromyalgia/IBS/ME
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Hi girls! Sorry for being MIA... I hate that this continues to be a trend! I do think of you guys each and every day... sadly, thinking of you doesn't always translate into getting on the computer and tracking this thread down... if I lose the first email reminder it's even worse. lol. Sad and I'm sorry!

I really wanted to jump in this morning and say:
Happy Mother's Day!!!

Lynne, thanks for thinking about the doggie. His meds don't seem to have affected him *too* much. The first day or two were rough. The rest of the week it has been a battle to get him to eat. I was thinking that the meds upset his stomach. They have to be taken on an empty stomach and then he can be fed an hour later. We've switched it up though and fed him before meds then waited two hours after eating and he's still finicky. Last night he jumped up off our bed whining and then started nosing, pining, and more whining while directing obvious sexual tension toward his neutered male basset hound buddy. I'm now wondering if there's a female in heat nearby and if the not wanting to eat has more to do with that than the meds? We've ran into this before and wondered the same thing about a possible girl in heat. I'm going to mark it on the calendar this time and see if there's a pattern. Anyway... probably way TMI! lol He certainly has a way of keeping me worried about him, though! His blood test is tomorrow and then not sure how long it'll take for results and to find out our next move.

It was actually really nice having hubby home this week. He had a couple of lunch meetings so I tagged along and had him drop me off at places to walk that are more interesting than my own neighborhood. He even humored me and walked with me down by the river one day. It really was a great week and I'm going to miss him as he heads back to work tomorrow. We celebrated Mother's Day with my mom last night by eating at a Mexican restaurant on the river. I'm sure you remember Mexican is my downfall and last night was no exception... back on track today, though, and tomorrow I'm really going to try tightening the reigns and see if I can get this slow slow process moving a bit faster. Back to tracking, measuring, chugging water, etc. Sigh...

Hope you all enjoy your day! I will try to catch up when things are quiet around here tomorrow! Hugs...
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #427
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Hey guys, I'm here. Sorry to disappear. Going thru "a thing"... it's all very boring to everyone else ... anyways, getting myself back into the game and get my $*** together.

Happy Mother's Day to the mommies!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Danielle!!!

So happy to see you back! Sure hope your 'thing' isn't anything too stressfull and that it has now resolved itself. You know we don't mind boring around here... geez, I'd have nothing to say at all if it had to be exciting!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back Danielle
Hope you're ok xx
Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lize636
Stats: 225/186/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov 2009, restart March 2013
Glad to see you back Danielle

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. I know I did.... I spent the day eating things I cant normally have lol. Its out of my system now and I am back on track this morning. I didn't get to start my garden as planned since we are getting ready to have a few cold nights I didn't want to waste my time. There is always next weekend.
Lize636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #431

Danielle so glad you are back!!! We have missed you very much! Sorry about the "thing" you are going through....

Tami - Doggie issues are tough. You certainly can't force them to eat or drink and that is frustrating. Let us know how this week goes. Mexican, my weakness too!

Gina - interesting about your Dad and the town he lives in. WHO KNEW??? I am a total city girl.

Liz - how was your Mother's day? Did the girls/DH spoil you rotten?

I had a good weekend. Friday night was just us girls (DD11 had a friend over). We did pizza and movie. They watched a movie I had seen, so I caught up on my DVR stuff. Saturday I was at softball all day long with DD11. We were playing up, which was a SUCKFEST! We lost all 4 games 3 of them they handed our A $$ to us. Not fun for the girls. I don't understand why the coaches did that so early in the season. Sunday I was spoiled. DH/DS14 made breakfast. GF Quiche, GF banana bread, fruit salad. DD11 set the table using crystal glasses and our fine china (from DH's Grandma). then we did SS/CHurch. My mom was SICK all day long. Stomach bug. So instead of meeting up with her and the family, we met up with just my sister and dh. It was fun. We ate at the mall food court, walked the entire mall, had ice cream then went to Kohls and Justice! I was tired. Then we got home and DS14 (had stayed home) wanted to go out to dinner. So we did! CRAZY eating all day yesterday. Today, back on plan!

Monica -Come see my journey!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #432
Senior LCF Member

You lead such a busy life Monica!! x
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Monica- I was spoiled, got a pedi on Sat, new Nike Shocks from the kids, and spent the day on the farm with the family overall a very relaxing Mother's Day. I ate lots of bad stuff and enjoyed every second of it!!!

I made edible arrangements for my Mom and Mother in law I wish I would have taken pictures of them they turned out really good. I also cut and colored my moms hair as part of her present.... shes been asking me to do it for a while now...it turned out nice

I guess I should elaborate on the hair part...so I went to cosmetology in high school and got my license to do hair but never worked in a salon because I had a job that paid well and didn't want the pay cut... At school you didn't get much experience with cutting hair you only got 1 manikin head a year once the hair was gone it didn't grow back lol! I have always been very nervous to cut peoples hair in fear I will mess it up..(I cut my kids but they dont know any better lol) so my mom has been asking me for a while now to cut her hair. She cut it very short recently and as you know shorter hair needs to be maintained regularly. So I finally got over my fear and cut it!!! I was very happy she was pleased with it. I should learn to have a little more faith in myself. One day when the kids get older I would like to take a part time job at a salon to brush up on my skills

Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

Liz!!! WooHooo on Onederland!!! Sorry I missed it earlier! So happy for you!!! btw, I did the same with hubby... I didn't let him see the number on the scale until I was right round 200. Of course I had mentioned how much I had lost on a few occasions, so I'm sure he could do the math, but still, I was so embarrassed. I love that you gave such thoughtful gifts for Mother's Day <3

Lynne, I'm so glad Gavin's bus riding experience has been good! Love that his friend is already on the bus before he is. Fun for Gavin and essier on you. Sounds like a win-win! Good for you for setting boundaries with mom! And for going after the publishers! You're such a strong woman and such a good example for all of us! Oooh, good luck with the young man you're interviewing to help with Gavin. Sounds like a great idea! I know my guys always looked up to teenage age guys and slightly older... they were like GODS to my boys when they were younger. lol Thankfully we had some great role models to fill those God-like roles! lol p.s. As of today - Game On, girl! Let's do this!!!

Gina, you are rocking it! Congrats on a few more pounds gone!

Monica, I 'LOVE' the glass project! Love that it was hubby's idea, too. How cool! I don't have a creative bone in my body, but I do like to basically 'color' so coloring in the lines, painting a preformed ceramic piece, etc. I can do and really do enjoy. Ask me to 'make' something and a blank stare is all you'll get! lol I also love to read. I just finished an Amazon/Kindle freebie, Hostile Witness by Rebecca Forester. I'm guessing she's a newer artest based on the freebie status, but it was really good. Now working on one a friend's earlier books, Contact by Susan Grant. It's won all sorts of awards, but isn't a genre I'd normally gravitate for. So far I'm loving it! Susan has recently gotten the rights to most of her earlier works back from a defunct publisher (that really wasn't paying her) so I figured it was time to give one a try. Good stuff And yes, Lynne, we're still impatiently waiting for vampiers Oooh, Monica, I so remember the boys playing up at various times. It's always a gamble. It's a great learning experience if the kids don't get pulverized and lose hope... sounds like you guys were on the short end of that stick this time... so tough. The rest of your weekend sounds fabulous, though!

Gina, I love the story about your dad and how he ended up in the 'Wild West'. lol Sounds like a really cool place!

Glad you all had wonderful weekends. Onward & downward we go!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
Gina, you are rocking it! Congrats on a few more pounds gone!
Hmm... unfortunately I'm right back where I started at the beginning of last week however I did go about 300-400 over on my UD's this weekend so totally my own fault. Going to try make up for it by having some super low DD's this week....
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie80 View Post
Hmm... unfortunately I'm right back where I started at the beginning of last week however I did go about 300-400 over on my UD's this weekend so totally my own fault. Going to try make up for it by having some super low DD's this week....
Ugh, sorry, hon! Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with a scale that likes to bounce around! You'll be back down again soon!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Tami, I just need to avoid the scales and restrict myself to only weighing once a week.... I'm obsessed with the numbers! x
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie80 View Post
Thanks Tami, I just need to avoid the scales and restrict myself to only weighing once a week.... I'm obsessed with the numbers! x
I tell myself this all the time...it never seems to work lol. I did stay away from it today but I am sure tomorrow I will be right back on it again!!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #439

Quote:
Lynne, I'm so glad Gavin's bus riding experience has been good! Love that his friend is already on the bus before he is. Fun for Gavin and essier on you. Sounds like a win-win! Good for you for setting boundaries with mom! And for going after the publishers! You're such a strong woman and such a good example for all of us! Oooh, good luck with the young man you're interviewing to help with Gavin. Sounds like a great idea! I know my guys always looked up to teenage age guys and slightly older... they were like GODS to my boys when they were younger. lol Thankfully we had some great role models to fill those God-like roles! lol p.s. As of today - Game On, girl! Let's do this!!!
Completely agree with what TAMI said LYNNE!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #440

Liz - your mother's day sounds perfect! How sweet of you to cut/color your Mom's hair. Heck, I wish you were closer, I would go to you too!!!!!!!!

Gina - let the DD rotations get going again, you will see it go back down again! I know it!

Tami - I recently joined a book club. Prior to that I was more stuck on the YA Vampire type stuff ( I still love it) I also found another YA author that I love. Sara Zarr so I have 3 of her books checked out. PLUS I was inspired by an article I read on Amazon about a woman in TX that just wrote a book , for fun. Shared it with her family and BAM, people were ordering it and she didn't even have a publisher. She did it through Amazon. She is published now so I snatched up her 3 books. I have a BUNCH of books in my TO READ pile on my nightstand. Drives my DH Batty!!!!!!!! short trip!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #441

Well yesterday's DD was not great. I am in a not great funk lately! Someone SLAP me!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #442
Senior LCF Member

*slap* x
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #443

THanks
Old 05-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

What's up with the funk, Monica?

Not much going on here. I finally got to the library last week to get a new fandangled card so that I could rent audiobooks and today my first walk listening to a book instead of music resulted in an extra mile! Woot! I'd say that's a win! Though my legs are a little sore Now I have a book I'm reading and a book I'm listening to, which I'm not crazy about. I want to know 'what's next' in both of them! Oh, and doggies blood work came back that the new med is coursing through his bloodstream in a therapeutic range, so now just waiting to hear from the cardiologist for the next move. I'm hoping we don't have to adjust dosages and I can do another 24 hour monitor in the next few weeks and see if this med is actually working.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Not much going on here. I finally got to the library last week to get a new fandangled card so that I could rent audiobooks and today my first walk listening to a book instead of music resulted in an extra mile! Woot! I'd say that's a win! Though my legs are a little sore Now I have a book I'm reading and a book I'm listening to, which I'm not crazy about. I want to know 'what's next' in both of them! Oh, and doggies blood work came back that the new med is coursing through his bloodstream in a therapeutic range, so now just waiting to hear from the cardiologist for the next move. I'm hoping we don't have to adjust dosages and I can do another 24 hour monitor in the next few weeks and see if this med is actually working.
I couldn't do two books at once I would get them confused...you are talented! Glad to hear things are going well with the pup hoping for more good news.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

Good afternoon everyone!!

Tami, thank you for your kind words. The young man didn't work out - I decided to go with my gut and say, "next?" He just didn't seem too enthusiastic about the job, he was kinda weird, and he didn't have a car.

I say life is too short for a book you don't love. When I was younger, I'd push my way through them, but not anymore.

Monica, about Amazon: that's what I've decided to do with my vampire series, too - go with Kindle publishing instead of the traditional route. Why? I can control the pricing, and I can release it right away rather than wait for the publisher's schedule.

The downside is that it would be nice to have an editor. I'm not sure I can DIY that part, but I guess we'll see. Maybe I can ask my readers what works and what doesn't.

Maybe it's time for Monica to write a YA vampire series of her own?

Danielle, welcome back! We missed you. We whined.

Liz, you can bring your cosmetology skills on over to my house. I'm about ready to wrestle the kid down and shear him again.

He was so BAD last time we went to get him a haircut, I wanted to trade him in on a puppy.

Gina, I know you're right about once a week and the scale, but that's hard. So hard. My feet carry me to the scale when I'm half-asleep.

Me... I'm trying all sorts of new things lately.

I realized the other day that I've been a little negative about new ideas that don't come from me so I'm trying to combat that with being open to hearing about new things and trying new ideas without freaking out.

I used Skype yesterday (second time ever) to talk to a coach in Sydney about creating a Kindle book from my website content. She says I have enough material to make several Kindle books, a whole series! So I'm off and running on that.

I took a taxi to the store today, and it went great. I talked to the driver about getting a discounted rate for frequent trips. She called the owner, who said, "absolutely yes". So yay! Problem solved.

I did a phone interview yesterday for an article about the Chevy Volt. Now I have GOT to have one. The guy I talked to yesterday is paying $238 a month for his lease, and he saved enough in gas to lease a second Volt for his wife. He gets like 288 mpg average.

Now their problem is that they've only got one high-speed charger in their garage, so somebody has to park outside and use the 110.

I also made a deal with my lawn-mowing guy this morning, because I don't have the equipment to mow my own lawn but I also can't pay him what we've been doing. He said "pay what you can when you can, I'll still mow your lawn."

All this stuff might seem like "duh" and it IS, I know, really...but it makes me feel happy to be thinking outside the box and trying new stuff I would have been too shy/nervous/scared to even ask about before.

You know?

Have a lovely Tuesday all!!

Lynne
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

I want to move.

Gavin went missing this afternoon, and I was frantically looking for him, and they couldn't be bothered! They asked what they should do if they happened to see him. What?? Missing little kid. Disabled. Can't talk. Hey neighbor: do you think you could interrupt your trashcan rolling for a minute and show some concern, maybe help me look or something??
He'd escaped from the back yard after the lawn guy left the gate open, and was clear across the street(!) with no shoes.

What the h*ll is wrong with people??

Lynne
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #448

Quote:

It's a food funk! My DD's aren't really low and my up days, well, they can get a little out of control. TRYING to real it all in!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lize636 View Post
I couldn't do two books at once I would get them confused...you are talented! Glad to hear things are going well with the pup hoping for more good news.
Liz, I can't either. That is why I read AHEAD of my book club book and get it done in 2 weeks, then I have 2 more weeks to read other items. Not supposed to read ahead, but I can't just stop mid-book and wait over a week to go back to it! That would drive me INSANE (and that is a short trip )
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #450

Quote:
Monica, about Amazon: that's what I've decided to do with my vampire series, too - go with Kindle publishing instead of the traditional route. Why? I can control the pricing, and I can release it right away rather than wait for the publisher's schedule.

The downside is that it would be nice to have an editor. I'm not sure I can DIY that part, but I guess we'll see. Maybe I can ask my readers what works and what doesn't.

Maybe it's time for Monica to write a YA vampire series of her own?
Lynne - I am not writer. I have no imagination at all, NONE! My children both write extremely well. DS14 has had numerous poems published and DD11 got an honorable mention from Scholastics for a character contest they were having. Where do my children get this??? I would GLADLY read your book and help you edit it! Actually, can't you just hire an editor? Or do you know someone that would do that part really well? I am not the person for it, but our Pastor's wife (a good friend of mine) used to edit peoples stuff and they paid her. Do you know someone like that???