Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   Boot Camp Charlie for Men - March 2013 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/798222-boot-camp-charlie-men-march-2013-a.html)

Lincoln Hawk 03-01-2013 12:44 PM

Boot Camp Charlie for Men - March 2013

Welcome to Boot Camp Charlie. This is the place for men to lose fat, build muscle, and improve their overall fitness. All men are welcome to join, but be prepared to exercise, eat right, and take some heat for slacking off. There is lots of experience and encouragement shared here, so if your ready to get healthy, and not afraid to work for it, this is the place for you.

There are a few rules to follow.

Weigh in every Monday. Report your previous weeks weight and your current weeks weight.

On the 1st of each month report what you can:

All time high
Weight as of 12/1/2011
Current weight
Total pounds from high
Total pounds lost in 2011

No Emoticons. Nothing will get you latrine duty faster than a smiley.

There are many eating and exercising plans being followed here, share what works, what doesn't, but check in often. Straying from the camp for a period usually means somethings gone wrong. While tempting, don't go AWOL just because you screwed up. We don't like to send out the MPs, but will when necessary.

Lincoln Hawk 03-01-2013 12:47 PM

Just in case you missed my post in the Feb thread, Lincoln Hawk is Oobatooba's new kick butt screen name.

I flipped from last week. Had a good week of exercise, but did pretty poorly with eats.

271 - Feb 1st
273 - March 1st (Pretty simple, I'm just not getting it done.)

Anyone opposed to going to quarterly thread instead of monthly? We could start next month with the 2nd quarter.

Doug K 03-01-2013 07:34 PM

All time high - 229 (April 2011)
Weight as of 12/1/2012 - 143
Current weight - 164
Total pounds from high - 65
Total pounds lost in 2012 - 27

My global low was 139, last Thanksgiving. I'm up 25 from that, 2 more than I weighed this day last year. No more! This was the first day in a while that I've not eaten any junk food, though I'm far from induction. I walked for an hour tonight, also for the first time in some weeks.

Quarterly is fine with me.

berighteous 03-02-2013 11:32 AM

1/1/2012 All time high 320
3/1/2013 Current weight 267

Somehow I've lost weight. Gonna have to punch new holes in my belt soon.

shiNer45 03-02-2013 01:17 PM

Holy Crap I forgot about the 1st of the month weigh in!!

Anyhow I never weighed so I will estimate what I last saw

Jan - 173.6
Feb - 173.2
Mar - 175 or so

I hit my upper limit so on tues or wed i started an induction phase, feeling pretty good now, I havent really weighed in so I am not sure if i have lost any, but I know for sure my pants dont feel like the button is going to pop, they are still snug, but wearable without too much pain.

I am going away on the 15th, so I thought about keeping induction up until then. I hope to get down under 170 before then, which is reasonable

Ooba/ lincoln, quarterly is good, I will weigh monthly though, just for myself,

good job to the losers and the belt hole punchers!!!

ChasingBulk 03-02-2013 01:30 PM

1/1/2013 218
2/1/2013 220
3/1/2013 220

Well guys, I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy. I kept waking up and looking around during the procedure. Once, I woke up with the scope down my throat while I watched pictures of my stomach on the monitor, so they ended up having to double my meds. I have a hiatus hernia and a 12mm polyp in my stomach that they took a biopsy of. I'm not freaked out anymore, though - chances of cancer are slim and colon looked good.

I'm tweaking my diet some. For some reason, fat intake doesn't put any brakes on my appetite. I'm a bottomless pit on typical low carb fare, and although I do waver from time to time, I currently am sitting on the side of the low carb argument that "calories count".

Although I can graze for hours on typical low carb fare, 3 cans of plain tuna in one sitting definitely stops my appetite cold in its tracks.

So, I'm jacking up the protein in my diet. I'm trying to hit 2.5g per kg body weight per day, which puts me around 250g per day. It's pretty difficult for me to hit that without supplements. I've come short two days in a row, but I'm giving it my best.

Not that you need my approval, Lincoln Hawk, but two thumbs up from me for that new name. Lincoln Hawk definitely sounds way meaner and leaner than Oobatooba.

Lincoln Hawk 03-02-2013 04:43 PM

Yeah, for the quarterly thing, just meant that in regards to starting a new thread, not changing monthly weigh-ins or anything like that.

Bulk - Glad to hear you got through the tests ok and you are able to breath a little sigh of relief. That's pretty crazy waking up with the scope in.

Doug K 03-02-2013 08:55 PM

BR - Right on! Celebrate by buying yourself a new belt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by berighteous (Post 16290957)
1/1/2012 All time high 320
3/1/2013 Current weight 267

Somehow I've lost weight. Gonna have to punch new holes in my belt soon.

ChasingBulk 03-04-2013 07:30 AM

Previous weight: 220
Today's weight: 218.8

Of course, it's too early to say if this is an anomaly, but jacking up the lean protein has definitely stopped my appetite cold in its tracks. In fact, I have to force myself to eat, or I'll under eat.

I started taking in more "slow carbs" also, like plain oatmeal and brown rice.

Maybe it's just me, but I never realize the mental fog, lack of energy, and depression that I'm having until I eat some carbs.

I know that we all define "low carb" differently, but I assume that the typical American diet with cokes, french fries, and sweets, sits at around 400-500g per day. If that is the case, then I would think that 200g is still low, but who knows.

Not quite so Big D 03-04-2013 09:29 AM

All time high: 265
Weight as of 1/1/2013: 238
2/1/13: 219
2/25/13: 215.2
3/2/13: 212.8
Total pounds from high: 52.2
Total pounds lost in 2013: 25.2

I did my official weigh-in on Saturday morning, as the Wife and I celebrated our anniversary Saturday night and I had a scheduled off plan meal. I was right back on plan Sunday morning, so I'm sure the damage will be minimal.

Crazy busy last week, so I didn't post much. Other than Saturday night, I had a really strong week and the scale moved down for me.

Ooba - I'm in agreement on less frequent new threads unless we have a big upswing in activity.

Bulk - glad to hear your medical issues aren't that big of a deal. As for what diet works - I'm a firm believer that everyone is different. While super low carb might work for me and make me feel great, it's not necessarily that way for everyone. Finding what works for you is key.

ChasingBulk 03-04-2013 03:02 PM

BigD,

Low carb definitely seems to work for you, since you've lost 25.2 pounds. That's awesome.

I wouldn't necessarily say that low carb diets don't work for me....

What I definitely know doesn't work for me is eating as much low carb food as I want and letting my appetite be the guide.

It definitely feels like slow carb with lean proteins works better for me as far as fat loss/muscle preservation/strength goes, but I don't like eating a chicken breast nearly as much as I like eating a chicken thigh or ribeye. I also don't like measuring or tracking calories.

I agree with you in that I think we're all different, and what works for one person may not work as well for someone else. We all know those people that have super fast metabolisms and seemingly can eat anything they want.

I also feel like I'm one of those people that needs daily cardio in order to see any fat loss.

shiNer45 03-04-2013 05:36 PM

checkin in

doing well here, still on induction level carbs, feeling a lot better the last 2 days, energy came back, still havent got any exercise in, but I am working every day still, averaging about 64 hrs/week

the extra job is helping a lot, going to be out of debt except the mortgage by the end of the month, wife finally working full time is helping huge too.

going to continue the induction for a bit, try to do it until we go away next friday, 15 yr anniversary, going to Cozumel

BigD - you are doing great, make another run for under 200!

things are picking up around here, its very motivating , keep it up!

Not quite so Big D 03-05-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiNer45 (Post 16295704)
BigD - you are doing great, make another run for under 200!

It's been a while since I've been there, but that's my goal by the end of May.

Stackdiesel 03-05-2013 06:34 AM

All time high (known): 238
Weight as of 1/1/2013: ~221
2/1/2013 (diet restart): 219
2/25/2013: 205
3/5/2013: 202
Total pounds from high: 36
Total pounds lost in 2013 (since 2/1): 17

Forgot to post yesterday. Weighed in at 202 this morning.

-Stack

shiNer45 03-05-2013 04:14 PM

Little bit discouraged today, been eating bang on under 20g carbs/day. Have had some sugar alcohol stuff, but cut that down quite a bit. Still not seeing any drop, I actually gained weight late last week.

I am going to keep at it, but it does suck a bit. Especially tonite since I made every else chicken pot pies, garlic bread and rice, and I never touched it. Good thing is I am in the zone, the sugar is out of me, things like that dont bother me, especially at work when there is donuts there on a daily basis.

My pants are feeling not so tight so I know things are shifting around, Just have to stay on point for a bit.

Stack - 17lbs aint too shabby so far! Keep it up.

CTIgrad 03-06-2013 04:39 PM

Checkin in, again.

Was doing pretty good on my post Xmas LC plan. Even started doing the C25K thing and ran my first 5k on valentines day. Havent been able to run since (due to some medical ish), and after getting my furlough notice from uncle sam this week things kinda went to ish. Little Cesars pizza/bread sticks and two bottles of wine later here I sit (since when did they start putting only two glasses of wine in a bottle?)

Ran out to wally world this morning and stocked up with stuff for a fat fast. 8 hours in and I wanna fish what was left of that pizza outta the garbage right about now.

On the bright side I bought a tracker app for iphone and its pretty slick. Says i'm at 85% fat today and just under 900 kcal.

Seems like ya'll are going strong still. Good deal. I'll try to make more of an effort to be active once again.

CTIgrad 03-06-2013 04:53 PM

Well I had a little post up here before, but it musta went somewhere.....

Anywho, so I'm back.... Kinda...

Started back on LC seriously after Xmas. Had been really good and was down from 317 to ~295. Even did the C25K thing and ran my first 5k on valentines day (posted a 38:02, walked a couple of times as my knee/ankle were giving me grief). After that developed another minor medical issue that has kept me outta the gym.

Ish kinda hit the fan this last week with the sequester going into effect and me getting furlough notices, so I stopped by little cesars for a $5 hot n ready. Raided the wine rack too, since when did they start putting only two glasses in a bottle? BS I tell ya.

8 hours into a fat fast right now, and the pizza in the trash is looking pretty good right about now. My new iphone app is telling me that im at 85% fat for the day and just over 900 kcal. Have dinner to go. Hopefully I'll make it.

If I can get my rear end back in the gym, I'm planning on another 5k next weekend, and one more a month till our wedding. Even going to do a dirty dash in June.

I'll try to check back in more often, but no promises eh.

Stackdiesel 03-07-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiNer45 (Post 16297888)
Stack - 17lbs aint too shabby so far! Keep it up.

Thanks Ken. I know what you mean about feeling discouraged when very strict low carb doesn't yield the drop you expect. Even though you weren't doing strict low carb prior to this, you may have been restricting your eating just enough that you were semi-dieting and not really "softened up" for a quick, big initial loss. As you know, it will kick in eventually and the pounds will start coming off.

CTI - good to see you check in, buddy.

A quarterly thread sounds like a good idea to me.

-Stack

CTIgrad 03-07-2013 07:51 PM

Day two of the fat fast. Been good all day, but this evening hours are killing me. 1311 kcal at 81% fat for the day. I'm having a really hard time getting it to 90%. Not sure how those people do it.

17 pounds ain't nothing to shake a stick at Shiner.

Not quite so Big D 03-08-2013 07:25 AM

Welcome back CTI. Sorry to hear about your furlough.

Still doing well. I have a little incentive to push really hard the next two weeks. I am speaking at a conference in two weeks and need to lose a little more in the gut and chest to fit properly into a really nice suit that I want to wear. I think I was around 208 when I had the suit tailored initially.

shiNer45 03-09-2013 11:59 AM

been sticking with it, have noticed though my salt is on the high side lately, that could be causing me some trouble,

wanted to get under 170 for fridays vacation, but it probably isnt doable, pants however fit a lot nicer , and I am in the zone, contemplating a little treat tonite of 1/2 bag of popcorn with butter all over it, its about 20g carbs with fibre taken off, little more than I would like but I may need a pick me up,

also going to my parents house tomorrow and my mom does her best to sabotage me with all the treats, candies etc. I wont partake in that but the dinner meal may be a little higher carb than I would like, it will be easier to just eat it than fight about it with her.

what i really need is to get back into the exercise, for that I need more carbs than I am taking in for sure, it always yields good results for me, and I need to be more disciplined with it, have to get my wife on it with me

CTI good to see you back, stick around for a bit,

CTIgrad 03-10-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D (Post 16303479)
Welcome back CTI. Sorry to hear about your furlough.

Still doing well. I have a little incentive to push really hard the next two weeks. I am speaking at a conference in two weeks and need to lose a little more in the gut and chest to fit properly into a really nice suit that I want to wear. I think I was around 208 when I had the suit tailored initially.

I love the way suits fit/feel. I was kinda sad when they repealed te dress code at work. Thought shorts and a sweat shirt is awfully comfy to work in.

CTIgrad 03-10-2013 04:52 AM

Starting out day 5 of the fat fast.

First three days yielded good loss, yesterday and today not so much but still good. I think the extra protein/cal I'm adding in isn't helping. Tuesday I'm planning on going back to normal LC. I'll check in later today. Off to work now.

ChasingBulk 03-11-2013 05:51 AM

3/4/2013 218.8
3/11/2013 221.2 @22.3% body fat (+2.4 pounds)

Well, one week of doing everything right, and I'm up by 2.4 pounds. I don't know if that's bad or good. I made 3 weight workouts and did 7 hours of cardio (1 hour per day). Making exercise a priority is definitely hard. There's always a good excuse to replace it with something else.

Shiner, I know what you mean about carbs and energy. I'm definitely stronger on higher carbs. I squatted 225 X 8, which is up from about 100 pounds from the week before. Carbs or no carbs, I'm still having to use my arms to sit without falling because of the damage I inflicted. For some reason, when I'm doing super low carb, my joints ache and hurt a lot more. I'm guessing that it's because I'm holding less fluid.

My wife and I are going to Austin in a couple of weeks to look at houses, and I'm totally freaking out about trying to figure out how to eat clean on the road. The kids are already talking about wanting to go to a place that they saw on the Food Network that serves giant cinnamon rolls. At least for that week, I'm going to go back to super low carb or tons of cardio, since I won't be able to measure anything effectively.

My wife started pulling up pictures from a couple of years ago at my lightest, and I was lean and mean. The crazy thing about it was that I didn't realize that I was lean and was never happy with my look. When I was there, I couldn't see it.

Congrats to everyone on their progress and efforts. I think that the tide is starting to change in regards to Americans becoming educated on healthy eating. A friend of mine, who is in his late forties and having to take diabetes education classes told me the other day, "I'll bet you didn't know that beans have carbs, did you."

I was shocked, because I took it for granted that everyone knew that, but the reality is that some people don't.

Stackdiesel 03-11-2013 08:32 AM

03/04/2013: 202
03/11/2013: 200

I somehow lost a fairly long post, so suffice it to say that I am doing well with the diet and training, and wish you all continued success or success getting back into gear.

-Stack

Lincoln Hawk 03-11-2013 09:42 AM

Cooked up a bunch of healthy eats yesterday. So, no excuse for a poor diet this week. Or I'll be throwing out a bunch of healthy food on Friday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasingBulk (Post 16308659)

My wife started pulling up pictures from a couple of years ago at my lightest, and I was lean and mean. The crazy thing about it was that I didn't realize that I was lean and was never happy with my look. When I was there, I couldn't see it.

I know exactly what you mean. After gaining back 20lbs from my lowest I went on a surf trip with some friends who all had cameras clicking away the whole time. I hated how I looked in those pictures at the time. Today I'd love to look like that.

CTI - Good to see you back.

Nice job Stack.

Doug K 03-11-2013 03:21 PM

167, up from 164 last week. It's no surprise, from the way I've been eating. I haven't weighed this much since last February. Still, I'm too stubborn to buy new, larger clothes. I'm lucky I can dress casually.

I began lifting weights last week, this morning was the fourth time. I'm using light weights, and a 10-15 minute routine, to establish the habit of actually doing it every other morning.

Congrats to all you losers!

CTIgrad 03-11-2013 07:01 PM

Good morning, I mean night, eh whatever....

3/6 (start of the fat fast): 298.6
3/11: 291

Fat fast, meh. I think as a different 'more serious' way to get back into LC it was a good idea. I wasn't able to workout during it this time so I'm wondering on my next go round how that will impact things. Gave in last night after I attended a party, didnt go off the diet, but couldnt hold out on the fat fast. Had some LC stuff and here I am.

Going to go back to regular LC for a week, maybe two, then do another round of fat fast. To make wedding goal i need to loose .6 a day (4.2 pounds a week), steep goal but here I go....

Doug - The only way I can lift weights is with music. I get bored otherwise. Crank up that ipod dude.

Stackdiesel 03-12-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincoln Hawk (Post 16309226)
Or I'll be throwing out a bunch of healthy food on Friday.

Got a good laugh out of that one, dude. So true how that goes.

Doug - glad to hear you've started lifting. Starting easy and being consistent is absolutely the right way to establish and maintain a training program, just as overdoing it and killing yourself early on is the surest way to derail one.

Not to harass you, buddy, but I'd really like to see you get your diet back on track before you undo too much of your hard work from 2011 and 2012. You've put on about 17% of your low weight (I'm going by 143) in a fairly short time. Some of that is just bloat, but the more you gain, the quicker the pounds will start to pile back on. You've come too far to let it slip away from you.

Maybe try to set a firm ceiling for what you'll let yourself gain up to (another 5 lbs.?), get some of the urge to splurge out of your system in the process, and then hit it hard again. You'll probably react well to re-inducting after this solid break from dieting and get motivated once you see the pounds dropping again. But I do think you can't afford to let your weight creep back up much more and you may become demoralized if you get to a point where you need to lose 50 or more pounds to get back to where you were instead of 25 or so.

Regards,
Stack

ChasingBulk 03-12-2013 03:40 PM

Lincoln,

(I sure like typing Lincoln better than Oobatooba).

I know you hit the gym.

I guess I need to learn to set my goals and expectations better. I tend to have a naive view of the world that is naive to all of the people on steroids. There were 5 guys in my gym that I was struggling to be like/look like, and in the end, over a period of about 2-3 years, I slowly found out that those guys were all on steroids. The crazy thing is that they would occasionally pick on me and say stuff like, "What are you doing wrong? Maybe your diet's not right? I just don't understand why you're not making the same progress as us."

One of the guys accidentally got 'outed' by another guy in the gym and came clean.

A body builder once told me, "You can be muscular and carry a lot of fat, or you can be skinny and lean, but you can't be both super muscular and lean without steroids."

So, in my progress pic that I wasn't happy with, I might have been at my genetic potential and just didn't know it. Honestly, when you think about it from an evolutionary perspective, it doesn't make any sense for the human body to be big and lean.

Doug,

Awesome, that you're starting to work with weights. I'd suggest big compound exercises with tons of warmup time and good form. I'm still getting used to having to warm up. I'm 41, and it's getting a lot easier to tear things than it used to be.