Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   UK/Europe and expats - March 13 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/798142-uk-europe-expats-march-13-a.html)

shykins 02-28-2013 11:25 PM

UK/Europe and expats - March 13

brand new march thread!!

Mimosa23 02-28-2013 11:47 PM

Thanks for starting us out in March, Shy!

Hope all are well!

Nothing much to report here, just that I am suffering from a sugar hangover and the remnants of an allergic reaction to wheat....

Had dinner at in-laws and let's just say that they don't have a clue about LC and I ended up eating a salad with hidden sugars and wheat derived starches... Had a rough night last night!

Drinking lots of water to flush me out and hoping that ACV, some DE and very very low carb will help me feel better quickly.

Hope you all have a good day!

My menu:

B: BPC, and later a couple of HB eggs with mayo
L: chicken broth, salad with chicken and feta
D: dunno, haven't thought that far. Hopefully a nice juicy steak with herb butter... At least this is sounding very good right now!

xxx

lola5k 03-01-2013 12:17 AM

Thank you Shy....

Hope you are all OK. I.ve done my 3DD's this week and now have two UD's until my next DD. Still in the 65kg range so happy about that. Haven't gone up any more so that's good.

Work today for me till 3pm..then food shopping I guess. Not much planned for weekend. Whatever you are doing enjoy. Shy you.ll be busy packing your 2 pairs of shorts and 2 bikini's lol.

Kissa 03-01-2013 03:55 AM

Marking my spot, off to Devon any minute.

blotto76 03-02-2013 11:57 PM

March already, yikes!

Kissa, sadly I didn't get to meet Alistair - but he won hands down and smashed the record - he is amazing! I didn't do badly either, 5hrs 35, which is 10 mins better than I had hoped. I am very sunburnt though, it was soooo hot out there.

Lola, haha, I laughed out loud at the penguin comment- if only! but as you say, it'd be no fun. Hope the dds continue to work in your favour. I am hoping (quietly, no promises!) to join you on the bandwagon towards the end of the week, after a few days meat & egg to get rid of my cravings.

Mim, hope the sugar hangover passes soon. Scary to think how badly sugar affects us.

Shy, how many days now, 2?! Get those bikinis ready!!

Hi everyone else!

x

lola5k 03-03-2013 12:25 AM

:jumpjoy: Blotto fantastic. You are fantastic. Amazing feat.

Good luck with meat and eggs. Look forward to connecting at the end of the week for 5:2. 4:3. Whatever suits you best

shykins 03-03-2013 12:43 AM

blotto u did amazing!!! well done, doing that distance is hard let alone inthat sort of heat

2 more sleeps yaaay and all packed lol. will be joining bandwagon when i get back!!!

Kissa 03-03-2013 02:46 AM

Well done Blotto. Look after that sunburn.

Ooh shy, 2 more sleeps so exiting. X

Off to the Apple store. My email account has been hacked.

Rene 03-03-2013 10:47 AM

Hi ya sorry haven't been a few days been so busy with work anyway hope you are all well, I have lost a pound after stalling for 2 weeks so I'm really glad. Had a munchy day today so ate some LC bread but still felt hungry so I fried up 2sausages and 3 rashers of bacon with some mayo feel better now lol I don't normally eat like that but that was the only thing that would stop me from munching more now I feel satisfied thankfully its a nightmare when you feel the munchys coming on.

Can you believe it we are one quarter into the new year time just flies...

All the crocuses are out, temperatures are in double figures spring is definitely on its way :)

I'm on a late tomorrow but got a boiler engineer coming tomorrow at 9am so have to be up early :eek:
Anyway hope you all enjoy the rest of your Sunday :)

Kissa 03-03-2013 10:59 AM

So please things are moving again Rene. I fancy a sausage now, lol.

I have a small gammon roast with some sweet potatoes in the oven now, so we'll be good.

Mimosa23 03-04-2013 12:02 AM

Morning all!

Hope the weekend was lovely for everyone.

Here, a tentative day of sunshine was had on Saturday, which was lovely. Apparently we have had the darkest winter so far on record. I could do with a little more sunshine! Today looks good as well, unfortunately I'm at the office and can maybe only steal 30-45 minutes of daylight if I'm lucky!

Hope everyone has a nice start to the week!

My menu today:

B: BPC, 2 eggs HB, 1 TB mayo
L: dunno, some kind of salad with some kind of protein.
D: Leftover stuffed peppers

blotto76 03-04-2013 12:27 AM

Thanks everyone, very chuffed with my time :-) Meat and egg also going well, I'm enjoying it so far.

Shy, oooo, so exciting! If I don't pop in before, have a fabulous time!

x

MintQ8 03-04-2013 04:21 PM

Well done Blotto - can't imagine doing it anywhere - let alone in the heat!

I have just had a marvellous girl's weekend (went from Wednesday last week till Sunday!) - a bunch of us from ex Kuwait days flew to Melbourne - had a day in Melbourne - then off to the Macedon Ranges to a 'spa' town - Daylesford. It was wonderful, food was amazing - we stayed in a gorgeous cottage - I probably drank too much - did some shopping - but no internet access!!!

Paul McKenna was going well - but I now know I need to listen every other day to really maintain the effect.

Yesterday I wasn't able to get on either - as I'm helping to develop a proposal to deliver Australian Culture/Customer Service to 3000 people in a Call Centre in India & another 3000 in the Philippines! A lot of it will be online/webinars - but there is a call for some face to face (probably about 3 hours) - imagining, that I can probably manage 50 in a workshop - still means 12 weeks face time! I would love the money - but as I plan to be a Trainer of Trainers in the Middle East - it's not what I want to be doing right now!

Mum - Steve (DH) will be soooooooooooo jealous of you heading to St Petersburg!!!

Blondie - all sounds good, busy, but you sound happier!

Shy - have a great time!

Mimosa - feel better soon! I get garlic hangovers!! LOL!

Rene - congragulations!

Lola - all sounds like it's going well for you!

Hi to anyone I've missed (I note Juno hasn't made it here yet!!)

Off to the movies this afternoon to see 'I Give It A Year' - it's British, so I'm sure we'll enjoy it - LOL!!!!

Mimosa23 03-04-2013 11:23 PM

Morning all!

Shy: have fun and a safe trip!!!!!!! We want a full report when you are back! xx

Cindy: St Petersburg is one of the destinations I've always wanted to visit, am very jealous!!! Hope it will be all that it is said to be and more.

Lola: Hope you are well!

Blotto: sounds like you did wonderfully, what a good time! And how is meat/eggs going? I am seriously considering throwing in a few days of M/E, to get my metabolism going faster for a bit. I seem to be hopping between the same 2 pounds for the last 3 weeks now.

Juno: Love your new FB profile pic! You look so lovely!

Rene: glad to hear the scales are moving! Congrats on the loss!

Vicky: sounds like you are doing so well! Your weekend away sounded really nice. Wishing you luck for the coming time, sounds like you will be crazy busy!

Everyone else: how are you all? Hope all is well!

Well, the sun is shining again, it is really motivating me to get in the garden and start some reorganising in there... I think the previous occupants did not do anything except for the absolute necessities, and so it could do with some TLC... We have planned to make some raised vegetable beds and grow some of our own veggies. I was thinking of squashes (spaghetti) and courgettes, radishes, spinach, lettuce of some sort, some variants from the cabbage family. It will be really nice to have some homegrown fresh veggies, and will save some money too.
Well, first we have to wait as more cold weather is coming next week, so much gardening will not be done, I think...

My menu for today:

B: BPC, and 2 eggs HB with 1TB mayo (I am having breakfast to see if this actually helps my metabolism)
L: a salad of some sort at VaPiano, a mediterrannean chain restaurant.
D: leftover LC stamppot (dutch recipe, usually calls for potatoes with cabbage or endives mashed in, with bits of bacon and cheese) which I made with cauliflower mash and green cabbage.

Have a good day everyone!
xxx

Blondie Baby 03-06-2013 01:13 AM

Hi All! Was out on Yas Island Saturday watching the Triathlon for a bit. Didn't see Blotto was sending her good vibes! Put in some hedges along the driveway outside our gate. When the wind blows, which it seems do alot lately, the sand blows in front of our gate and makes a big mound we have to drive over. Hoping the hedges will stop that! I had to move my roses to the front garden because the chicken were eating them. And along side the roses I planted a couple strawberry plants. I now have several bright red strawberries on them!!!!

Blotto - Mabrouk on the excellent time! You're a STAR!!!

Mimosa - I tried to grow veggie but I just don't know how to do it this climate. So now I just have grass and my roses! Good luck on your garden!

Mint - Sounds like a lovely girls weekend! When are you heading back to Oman?

Kissa - When are you off on your holidays?

Shy - Have a fab time!

Mimosa23 03-06-2013 01:51 AM

Morning all!

Maryam: nice to see you here! Sounds like you did quite a lot of gardening lately!
I can imagine growing veggies in the Abu Dhabi climate is somewhat difficult...

All is well here, the sun is shining and it is nice and warm! I am going out to enjoy it this lunchtime, as we are going to get bad and cold weather again soon. Well, the sunshine has certainly cheered me up a bit!

Nothing else to report, weight is fluctuating up and down like crazy since my birthday, so I'm getting a little frustrated. I have started doing T-Tapp again and got out my rebounder and set it up in the living room so each time we have a commercial break when I'm watching telly, I get on for 7 minutes. Yes, we get commercial breaks that last 7 minutes... Really annoying! I may as well use them for my own benefit, LOL! That and my daily 45 minute walk with the dog should help in toning myself. I know it may not do anything for weightloss, but I'd rather be size 12 and weigh 200lbs than be a size 18 and weigh 170lbs!

Well, my menu for today:

B: 2 eggs, hb, 2 T mayo. BPC
L: mixed leaves salad with three cherry tomatoes and half an avocado with 3oz tuna in olive oil, 1T mayo and 1,5 oz feta cheese.
D: not sure, I quite fancy steak right now...

Have a good day everyone!

Kissa 03-06-2013 06:09 AM

Lovely to see you dropping in Blondie. My mother grew loads of veggies when we lived in Kuwait, splendid tomatoes I remember, and lots of swiss chard and spinach. Locusts devoured them one year though, she was livid.

Not off until late April.

blotto76 03-06-2013 10:58 PM

Mimosa, M&E went really well. I did 3 days and then switched to more of an induction style, adding a few green veg and a bit of cheese, to keep carbs under 20g. I'm on Day 5 and I've already lost 4.4lbs :jumpjoy:

Blondie, thanks for the good luck vibes - they must have reached me, thank you! My friend in Dubai grows all sorts of veggies - want me to get some tips for you?

Mint, sorry Paul McK isn't going so well. Why don't you join me on M&E/induction? You know it works, and you can eat so many yummy things without counting a thing!

Hi everyone else - Shy must be on her hols now, lucky thing!

Have a great weekend all - nothing exciting for me, just study study study :-(

x

Mimosa23 03-06-2013 11:20 PM

Morning!

Blotto, I may do a few days of M&E after I get back from my business trip, so I may start on the 18th of March. This would be perfect, as I've got a supplier dinner invitation on the 19th, and they are taking me to an Argentinian steak restaurant.... I might do Mon-Fri and then back to induction. I'm on induction-ish at the moment. I've been adding the occasional greek yogurt and handful of pecan/macadamia nuts. Still, total carbs are not above 20. I may have to leave them out.

I may have to reduce cals a bit too. It seems my metabolism isn't what it was and I think I'm just eating too many calories. It kind of adds up to around 2100 a day, and even with my height, I think it is too high to lose. It may be nice for maintenance, but that's a long way off! I'm going to try and keep cals around 1600 to see how I get on.

My menu today:

B: coffee, no BP! 2 Eggs, HB, 1TB mayo
L: leftover roast chicken (6oz), mixed leaf salad, 1/2 small avocado, 1TB mayo, 1 TB olive oil, 1 oz feta and a TB of flaxseeds
D: 3 eggs, scrambled, cooked in 1TB of coconut oil, a handful of spinach, 4 rashers of thin crispy bacon, 1 oz feta

This brings me to: 1576 cals; 19 carbs; 123 fat; 105 protein

I am a little high on protein due to the chicken today, but otherwise I think my menu looks fine. Will report back if the lower cals will help with getting my weightloss to move again!

I've also been good about exercise: I've added in T-Tapp basic workout plus every morning and I hop on my rebounder in the evening every time the commercials come on. Adds up to about 20 minutes. On top of that, I go for my regular 45 minute walk with the dog. I'm making a point of getting up and moving about more at work too. All that sitting is not making my backside any smaller!!!!

Blondie Baby 03-07-2013 12:54 AM

Blotto - Yes pls!!!! Get some tips for me! I really would like to have, at least, tomatos and some herbs!!!! BTW - planning another ladies breakfast soon!

Mimosa - Nice to see you! I'm not sure if my gardening problems are more to do with climate or where my garden is actually situated. Insha'allah Blotto's friend has some good tips for me!

Kissa - I know people do grow thing here. I guess maybe I just need to hook up with some of them and get some advice! I remember my grandmother being livid when the birds ate all her strawberries!

They just opened a Red Lobster in Abu Dhabi so guess where I'm going thias weekend!!!!! :D

lola5k 03-09-2013 08:34 AM

Blotto: Fantastic weight loss...works for you so stick with it.

Blondie: Good to see you back..hmmm gardening has never been one of my strengths but then the soil where I live is so hard and clay its a job just turning it over.

Mimosa: Love your ad break exercise..7 minutes OMG..that an awful long time. Don't know how long our's are but then I don't really watch that much TV. Sorry about weight fluctuation so frustrating I know.

Juno, Mint & Kissa Hi...hope that you are all OK.

I.ve been doing 4:3 for two weeks and didn't lose but didn't gain either which was looking promising then this morning up 2.2lbs...so not happy...I know that our bodies fluctuate but I think I am finding the couple of UD's together hard....my body is kinda telling me on the 2nd UD...that it should be a DD...so hmmm back to the drawing board. Mayback to JUDDD or join Blotto on the low carb trail.

Freezing here today...brrr just been out and glad to be back in. Snow forecast... Mother's Day tomorrow but both my children away with work at the moment...so no children for me. Happy Mothers Day to those celebrating.

Kissa 03-09-2013 09:57 AM

I know what you mean, Lola. I've been seeing higher weights than I like too, so am doing an extra DD today. I am going to keep on though, I like the idea of doing it my way rather than the regular rotations.

Good work on the exercise Mimosa.

Came back to London to find our boiler off again. Third time this winter. Not happy they aren't coming until Tuesday and there is more snow on the way.

blotto76 03-09-2013 11:30 PM

Mim, M&E will certainly kick start the weight loss again. Shame you're having to reduce the calories, but I always find that with low carb - the more you lose, the less you can eat sadly.

Lola, thanks! I'm enjoying eating this way for now, so will stick to it as long as I can. Sorry you are up again, frustrating isn't it? But I bet it'll be gone again tomorrow, probs just water weight.

Kissa, I'm sure you can get away with the higher weights, and you know you can get it down again when you need to.

Blondie, I'll certainly ask for some tips for you - and look forward to that breakfast!

Hope everyone else is having a lovely weekend.

x

Kissa 03-10-2013 03:51 AM

Well one extra DD got me down to a smiley weight. Easy enough to use one when I need it, no?

Off to the National to see This House this afternoon, saw Trelawney of the Wells yesterday afternoon at the Donmar, it was great. My DH books ages ahead and I love matinees in the winter. Especially when our house is freezing without heating, blower heaters are a poor imitation of central heating.

Hope all Mums are having a good day. Happy Mothering Sunday.

lola5k 03-10-2013 02:45 PM

Hip hip hooray Kissa...great the DD worked.

Well my Mothering Sunday turned out to be very interesting. DH..locked us out of the house!! DS is away working overseas and we don't have a key left anywhere else...(yes we now know that we need to give to a neighbour). So 3 hours worth of drive later we are home again at 7.30pm...having met DD daughter half way between our homes so we could get her key. At least she got to see me on Mothers Day in the end lol. And my DD was easy cos I wasn't tempted by being in the house ha ha.

Kissa 03-10-2013 03:01 PM

Oh Lola, what a day, so easily done but such a nuisance. You won't let that happen again in a hurry!

Hope everyone has a good week.

blotto76 03-10-2013 11:43 PM

Oh Lola, what a pain that must have been - bet you were glad it was DH's mistake and not yours, haha!

Hope you enjoyed the theatre Kissa.

x

Blondie Baby 03-11-2013 12:14 AM

Still busy running back forth between HQ and Hangar 4 where my office is! But its good exercise! And we are making good progress with our work! I have now been tasked with 6 people. And 5 of them should be UAE national women. No idea where I am going to find them! :dunno:

Lola - Oh No! But at least you got to see DD on Mothers Day!

Kissa - How was theatre?

Blotto - Did you know we now have a Waitrose in Abu Dhabi? My colleagues tell it is wonderful so I must go check it out.

Mimosa23 03-11-2013 12:55 AM

Morning all!

Lola, that sounds like you had a very interesting and eventful Mothers' Day!

Everyone else: Hi!!!!

Am in a rush, got to get myself organised for a three day meeting I've got at our head office in the UK. Nothing ready yet!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weekend was nice but the weather could have been a bit nicer. Now, it's snowing and it was -5 degrees when I drove to work this morning.

Anyway, if I don't check in till Friday, have a good week everyone and see you here when I get back!
xxx

lola5k 03-11-2013 01:31 AM

Morning everyone,

Mimosa: Hope that you got packed all OK and that you aren't tempted by all the meeting food. Sandwiches, sandwiches, crisps, crisps, crisps. Sorry to say its not going to be much warmer here. -4 today and snow...flutters I think.

Blotto: Blondie; Oooh how exciting to get a Waitrose let's hope that they can ship you some nice treats into the store.

Kissa; Hope that you enjoyed the Theatre and still doing good with the numbers.

Blotto: Are you sticking to M&E this week and low carb? Sounds like its working really well. Cos mine was a DD yesterday and luckily it all worked out. I think I am going to have a medium UD today and then rethink whether to stay with rotations or join low carb again...omg decisions decisions lol

xx