Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   Marvelous by Memorial Day (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/797207-marvelous-memorial-day.html)

svenskamae 02-14-2013 11:35 PM

Marvelous by Memorial Day

This challenge picks up where the "Thinner by Valentine's Day" challenge left off. Welcome, friends from our previous "Thinner in" threads and new members. Feel free to join us and post your goals for this challenge.

4myfuture 02-15-2013 06:05 AM

HEY SVEN! Thanks for posting our new challenge. I'm sorry to hear about your job difficulties. I hope things pick up for you quickly.

Hi All! New goals for me!

1. I'm embracing the Carbohydrate Addict Diet!
2. Find the positives each day. Don't get bummed by little things. Focus on what I have accomplished already and become a professional tweaker!
3. Continue my work outs 4x week

I look forward to reading and posting here.

cfine 02-15-2013 07:35 AM

I love your goals Lindsay. When I was reading that CAD I thought that might be a good plan for you. I hope it gets you "unstuck."

Sven, sorry about your work. Hope it gets better soon. Thanks for starting our new thread.

I sat down last night and thought about what I wanted my goal for the next three months to be. Here's what I came up with:

1.continue keeping food and exercise log
2.workout 4x per week
3.weight 210lbs.
4.only one off plan treat per month

Remember: "do or don't do, there is no try."

Mrs S 02-15-2013 08:23 AM

After feeling a little disappointed that I fell 8lbs short of my goal in the VD challenge, I measured myself this morning since it had been almost 3 months. I was delighted to see I've lost 7.5 inches during that challenge. Yay! So I'm totally in for another one.

My goals:
1. Drop 14 pounds- that's one lb a week.
2. Do kettlebell swings twice a week, working up to 50 per session. I know that isn't a lot but it feels like climbing Everest to me right now.
3. Walk 2 miles per day. The dog is very supportive of this goal.
4. Reduce my reliance on dairy.
5. Participate more in this challenge thread. I rarely checked in last time. I'm sure I missed out on being supportive and supported.

I'm going to have to check on the CAD. I'm ready for a tweak- short attention span for plans. Change helps keep me engaged.

Adoug4ho 02-15-2013 03:02 PM

Hello friends! I'm pumped for this challenge. My goals:
*Onederland!!!!!!
*Increase my time between my February and May 5ks
*Get into my size 14 pants!!!!!

4myfuture 02-18-2013 06:35 AM

Good Morning All, Happy Monday!

So, as of now I feel liberated. No food is evil, the enemy, forbidden. I just eat in a very mindful way now. CAD has made me feel a sense of relief. I am by far still low carb, but my reward meal can include a food that maybe I was missing, but felt ashamed to eat.

I know it is early on in my new way, and I'm still reading my CAD book, but I do feel better. I understand the pitfalls of CAD (like using the reward meal as a binge, I will not do that, I'm past that in my life) and understand that I will be tweaking every day.

Right now I feel like I'm on Atkins with one meal of freedom, that's what it feels like. I like that it can be flexible say for birthday parties where I do want to enjoy that piece of cake with everyone.

Ok, I hope everyone is feeling uplifted about their woe today. We can all do this. I want to lose 15lbs of FAT by summer. I'm going on vacation in August and want to rock the shorts and tankinis. Yes, I'm excited for summer.

Hope to hear from others soon!

Love,
Lindsay

Mrs S 02-18-2013 07:52 AM

Lindsay, I'm really eager to follow your progress on CAD. It's intriguing to me but I'm nervous about the 'freedom' to eat carbs. Not sure I'd handle it as well as you.

4myfuture 02-18-2013 07:57 AM

I totally can understand your nervousness, Mrs. S.

I think I was missing that freedom, now it is my own controlled freedom. I'm going to post often and we'll see how this goes. Previously on low carb I would allow some freedom, but it was too much freedom I think and that is why I have stalled. I'm hoping this is just the jumpstart I need to refresh my thinking.

Lindsay

cfine 02-18-2013 02:40 PM

I'm happy that you found something that will make you feel better about your WOE, Lindsay. It's important to be happy with your food choices. I would love to be able to transition to the CAD after I lose my weight, but that's a long way from now. I can't even eat a typical Atkin's way because I just stay at the same weight. I have to control my protein in a major way to lose any weight.

I did my arm weights on Thursday, and I am still having trouble holding my arms up :) I think I overdid it!! Still loving my cardio routine.

I am trying not to get all worked up over my upcoming trip, but it's so hard not to. Since we are driving my husband's truck I am planning on taking a lot of my own food so I won't have to run out and buy a bunch of weird stuff. Our gym has a facility where we are going so we plan on keeping up the exericse routine while we are gone. Hopefully all of this will help. I just want to see the scale MOVE!!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!!

kjsurgtech 02-18-2013 04:12 PM

I would like to join this challenge. I had lost 10-15 lbs on a loose Atkins? last year. My main goal is to get back on Atkins if I can remember where to start. Lol....I am going to go search the site on how to kick start this thing.

Goals
1) lose 2 lbs. every week until Memorial day- which is around 14 weeks for a total of 28 lbs.-
2) complete some type of workout 6 days a week.
3) finish a 5k by Memorial day.

Any suggestions would be great!!!
I can't wait to get started.

Kiki

cfine 02-18-2013 04:32 PM

Hi Kiki, and welcome!! The people on this particular challenge really keep me motivated to do my best and give it my all. Glad you joined :)

kjsurgtech 02-18-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks cfine.

cfine 02-19-2013 06:09 AM

Finally!! I was at 227.2 this morning. I thought I would never be able to change my stats :)

Sven, I haven't seen you much. Hope all is well with you.

4myfuture 02-19-2013 07:06 AM

GREAT JOB CFINE!!!! LOVE to change stats, right?!?

Hi Kiki!!! Good luck and I look forward to reading your posts!

SVEN----YOU OUT THERE? Is everything ok by you?

svenskamae 02-19-2013 02:00 PM

Hi, folks, sorry to be missing in action for a few days. I had a particularly grueling weekend of working too much and sleeping too little, plus drinking too much diet soda, which ended up making me ridiculously hungry, so I ate too much ... :sad: Anyway, I'm feeling better after getting lots of sleep and having a fluids-only day yesterday and today.

I was going to start doing a week of potatoes and broth only, as an experiment, but it's too cold to walk to the grocery store (30 below windchill) today. I need an emoticon for "It's freezing here!"

I'm feeling discouraged because I have been pretty much stuck--just bouncing around the same few pounds--for the last 6 weeks, despite doing JUDDD plus lowcarb/moderate protein. I'll try the potato hack, which a number of people on the JUDDD board liked, and then reassess.

Though I'm not losing lately, I'm very glad to be able to come here and vent. I'm very happy that you are losing, cfine, :high5: and that you've got a new approach that suits you, Lindsay. :shake: It's nice to meet you, Kiki, :welcome: and good to see you again, Mrs S. :hiya:

Adoug4ho 02-19-2013 04:08 PM

Ok marvelous ladies. I've been struggling this week. Made some off plan choices. But I'm back on tomorrow and focusing on clean eating. My trainer said I eat too much processed junk. Which is true, but not what I wanted to hear. Anyhow, regardless of the demands on my time (which seem a lot!) I'm still going to check in with this thread. :)

svenskamae 02-19-2013 05:04 PM

Sorry I forgot to say hello to you, Adoug4ho.:o :hiya: Good for you for focusing on clean eating, for working with your trainer, and for checking in here. :clap:

cfine 02-19-2013 05:46 PM

Sven, you are still my hero :)

amundson 02-19-2013 05:59 PM

Would like to join your challenge. My gosls are:

1. Lose 10 pounds by Memorial Day, and
2. Begin doing yoga two to three times per week.

Hey folks, I know we focus on weight loss, but there are other health benefits from low carb. I have had a pre-diabetic A1c over 6.0 for years. Since being on low carb it has normalized. In the last 16 months it hes gone from 5.6 to 5.1 even though I haven't lost much weight. To me this is very important.

svenskamae 02-19-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16268702)
Sven, you are still my hero :)

You're such a sweetie, cfine. :hugs: And you're my hero, too--especially with how you've absolutely transformed in terms of exercising! :high5:

svenskamae 02-19-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amundson (Post 16268733)
Would like to join your challenge. My gosls are:

1. Lose 10 pounds by Memorial Day, and
2. Begin doing yoga two to three times per week.

Hey folks, I know we focus on weight loss, but there are other health benefits from low carb. I have had a pre-diabetic A1c over 6.0 for years. Since being on low carb it has normalized. In the last 16 months it hes gone from 5.6 to 5.1 even though I haven't lost much weight. To me this is very important.

:welcome:, Susan! We'd love to have you join us. The health benefits really are the most important part of this WOE, and I should remind myself of that when I get discouraged by the scale not moving.

I am going to ask for an A1C test at my next physical, but I know my fasting blood glucose was pre-diabetic in the past. Here are some of the health benefits that I've experienced on this WOE:
Acne--almost disappeared
Eczema--gone
Indigestion--gone
Acid reflux--gone
Circadian rhythm disorder--gone
High blood pressure--gone
Plus: More energy, better and more even mood, stronger nails, thicker and glossier hair, better lipid profile

So that's worth a lot. :up: Anyone else want to share on how your health has benefitted on this WOE?

4myfuture 02-20-2013 05:28 AM

SVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Glad to see your posts! :)

CAD is feeling good right now, not sure if it's because I'm really following a plan again, or if I'm just in a better mood, or both. LOL

Health Benefits for me:
acne is a little better
overall appearance (not just weight) looks better
mentally clearer!
cholesterol, sugar, lab works improved!

Mrs S 02-20-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16268232)

I'm feeling discouraged because I have been pretty much stuck--just bouncing around the same few pounds--for the last 6 weeks, despite doing JUDDD plus lowcarb/moderate protein.

I'm in a similar situation but it's only been a few weeks of losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. I've started weighing and measuring everything I eat again since I had gotten slack about it. I really want to get over this hump, it's quite discouraging. :dunno:

Mrs S 02-20-2013 05:37 AM

Benefits I've noticed...

-no more heartburn!!!
-more comfortable...um... eliminations
-better, more even moods, especially during my period
-skin looks more hydrated and brighter (DH commented on this recently)
-better, sounder sleep and I need less of it

Adoug4ho 02-20-2013 06:04 AM

My intermediate goal is sexy by st. Pattys day! I really want to be out of the 200s by then! :)

svenskamae 02-20-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adoug4ho (Post 16269279)
My intermediate goal is sexy by st. Pattys day! I really want to be out of the 200s by then! :)

Getting into onederland is a great milestone to pass. I know you'll get there!

Adoug4ho 02-20-2013 10:12 AM

Me too! It's been a while, Sven! :)

4myfuture 02-20-2013 10:59 AM

Adoug4ho----I'm cheering you on all the way to onederland!!!!!!! It's not that far away for you!

SVEN---so glad your posting and you'll be reporting back to us about the scale getting unstuck soon, I just know it. You are so knowledgeable about healthy eating and are working so hard at it!

cfine 02-21-2013 03:55 AM

I have been trying so hard to get back to my original weight loss number since the end of December. I've had several ups and downs, but this morning I finally made it. I was at 225.9!! The best part about it is that this time I am actually smaller than before because of exercising. I am back in the 50lb. club again :)

Today is the day I have been dreading...travel day. Send loving thoughts my way please.

Lindsay, I'm so glad that the CAD is working for you. I'm sure that having a controlled plan to eat your carbs is helping you to feel better about things.

4myfuture 02-21-2013 07:20 AM

Cfine -- Good luck on travel day. You can do it, just remember how you feel about being at your original weight loss number....keep that in your head!!! WTG!

I officially get weighed at my nutritionist today. So, we'll see if my weight has changed. I will not let the number get me down regardless because I have to stick to one of my goals. ---DON'T GET BUMMED OUT!

CAD is a dream right now and I'm enjoying my dinners with my family. I have chosen dinner to be my reward meal... I'm not pigging out, going hog wild, my meals are still sensible and mindful, just less carb restricted. If I want a dessert it's eaten within my 60 minute time frame....and I have no cravings. It's a good feeling for me now, because my cravings were getting the best of me the past month, my cravings were getting bad in the evenings.

I'm officially 7 days into CAD. So, I always tweaking, reading, learning.

Have a great day everyone! It's very very cold here in Jersey!