Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm sending you lots of loving thoughts and good karma, cfine, for your travels. I have to travel a fair amount for my job and usually do fine since I go prepared with lowcarb foods packed and find workable items on restaurant menus. I'm sure you will do well, too; think about your friends here waiting to hear from you and work toward reporting successes.

Fingers crossed on your weigh-in to the nutritionist, Lindsay. Sound like you are enjoying CAD and doing it sensibly.

I got a ride to the grocery store this morning and picked up a supply of regular and heirloom fingerling potatoes for boiling for a potato hack, and lots of meyer lemons for lemon water. Since I didn't have time to prep potatoes before work, I'm doing a fluids-only down day at work, mostly various kinds of tea with half and half. My weight was 181 this morning, just 3 pounds up from my low of 178, so I'm feeling a bit more optimistic again. I haven't eaten potatoes in over a year, so the prospect of having them for a few days is kind of exciting, oddly enough.

We're supposed to get a winter storm starting tonight, but we Minnesotans can handle that. I was so happy that it was warmer out today; it's a balmy 19 degrees!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amundson
Stats: 285/164/155
WOE: Atkins (w/ Protein Power ideas also)
Start Date: April 2010
It is such a good idea to nip the weight gain in the bud. I had lost 105 pounds and then gained 16 back. However, I did lose that plus another 9 pounds, so things are going in the right direction again. Often when I gain a little and have to lose it again I learn something about what I have to do to lose or maintain my weight. So, try to absorb the learning from the tough times!!
amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amundson View Post
It is such a good idea to nip the weight gain in the bud. I had lost 105 pounds and then gained 16 back. However, I did lose that plus another 9 pounds, so things are going in the right direction again. Often when I gain a little and have to lose it again I learn something about what I have to do to lose or maintain my weight. So, try to absorb the learning from the tough times!!
Thanks, Susan. It's reassuring to me that it wasn't too hard to get down a few pounds to my set point around 180, but it's a bigger challenge for me to stay below that set point and keep moving down. But I'll keep trying, and meanwhile I know that doing what I am doing is good for my health and how I feel, regardless of what the scale says.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Excellent news svenskamae! I hope the snow wasn't too crazy. My brother lives in WI and I don't know how any of you guys handle the winters. I made the mistake of visiting in February once. ONCE.

I finally broke through my plateau! Down to 205.4 when I could not get below 206 for weeks. Now to make it through the weekend without reversing that progress. Onward and upword... er make that downward.

I hope you all have a great weekend!
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
Nutritionist scale yesterday afternoon -----still 185 no gain or loss

My scale this morning ---------181 ???? loss of 4 lbs

It's ok, I'm living a healthy lifestyle and it's not a race, no quickfixes. I can do this for the rest of my life. Nutritionist encouraged me to keep up the CARDIO to burn fat. Get my body shocked again! It makes sense and I'm going to the gym after work today to hit the elliptical!

SVEN --- you have an encouraging outlook and I wish you all the best on your potato adventures!

MRS S. --- congrats on breaking the plateau...feels good I bet!!!

In the end, all you need is kindness. ~Jewel
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I'm enjoying our current snow storm, since everything looks pretty with a fresh coat of snow, it's safer to walk on snow than on ice, and the temperature is up to the 20s!! I guess the drivers aren't having much fun, but it's good for pedestrians like me.

Woo hoo for breaking through that plateau, Mrs. S! Congratulations, and good for you for staying on course despite the stuck scale all those weeks. You'll be my role model as I try to break through my own set point at 180.

You've got a great attitude, as usual, Lindsay. Do you treat one of the scales--the nutritionist's or your home scale--as your "real" weight? Are the two scales usually out of sync by a few pounds? I hope you enjoy your time on the elliptical. Are you trying the High intensity intervals like cfine has been doing?

Have a good Friday and a lovely weekend, everyone. I'm going to a movie and out to a burger joint (hold the bun) with a friend tonight, having liver and spinach tomorrow, and then starting my potato hack on Sunday. Some people feel ill from the insulin rush when eating potatoes without fat, and I want to be sure that I'm home and can lie down if it happens to me.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
We made it to our first destination!! YAY!! I made it just fine for the first two travel days of my trip. I think I did a pretty good job. The only downside is that I made myself a GF LC cheesecake brownie to take with me and I ate too much of that today.

I am having a lovely time with my newborn niece. She has already pooped on me twice and puked all over me. I am loving every minute though. I've already changed her clothes three times and I've only been here for five hours

Everybody seems to be doing well. Sven, good luck on the potato thing. Not sure exactly what you're doing but I hope it helps. Lindsay, good job on the 4lb loss!!

I will keep reporting on my trip. You all help me to stay on track.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Way to go on the drops ladies!!!!!!!!
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Not sure if I really had a 4 lb loss, on my scale it says I did, but the dr's scale says no loss for me! LOL I try to go by my nutritionist's scale because I get weighed less often there and any loss on that scale seems more "real". In any case I'm not bummed because I'm following a plan again, haven't deviated for over a week.

Sven---Good luck with the potato hack, let us know how it goes.
cfine----you are rocking this trip!
Hi Adoug-----how are the workouts???
Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Awww, enjoy your newborn niece cfine.

Hubby and I finally celebrated Valentine's Day last night with a romantic dinner out at our fave Italian place that I haven't eaten at since August when I started LC. We shared bruschetta and I had linguine with creamy pesto (first real pasta in almost 6 months!) and a giant caesar salad. It was phenomenal and I planned the splurge but I know today and tomorrow I'll have to be pretty strict to atone. I'm having miso soup right now, veggies with fat and veggie soup for dinner tonight.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Kudos to everyone for sticking with your selected WOE and choices!! I had a LC binge yesterday, so am feeling out of control. I learned that control of my food choices, while better than it used to be, is still not total. But every day is a new day, and today so far things are going better.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
MrsS-my favorite off plan restaurant is Italian. I eat it on my birthday every year.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

About a week ago I lost 3.5 pounds and have been stable since, but have not done the exercise that I wanted to start. That will be my primary goal this week - to start exercise. I am a little concerned about starting exercise because I have lost 114 pounds without doing it, and I am concerned that I will gain from it or have a really strong increase in appetite.

Today is a new day- let's all make a fresh start!!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

amundson---exercise is a great goal! I wish you the best. I'm doing more cardio right now to just burn the excess fat...weights not so much, felt like it was holding me back. Your stats are to be applauded! Great work getting youself healthy! You must feel like a new person.

I'm holding steady on my home scale at 181, looking for a little woosh in the coming weeks with my new eating plan and cardio workouts....we'll see if I can get a glimmer of the 70's....bell bottoms, groovy man! LOL

I second amundson's fresh start---let's make it a marvelous monday!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

I think that the mechanisms by which exercise can slow weight loss is increasing cortisol, or a temporary effect from muscles holding onto water, or increased appetite. Something like yoga will actually lower cortisol and probably won't increase appetite unless one does a very high intensity yoga class. I hope you are able to get into the exercise groove this week, Susan.

Here's hoping for a whoosh into the 170s for both me and Lindsay. I was actually up 2 pounds after my first potatoes only day, but I'm sure that was water retention due to eating a starch after a year of low carb. I've got my boiled potatoes, my malt vinegar, my broth, and my salt all ready to bring to work for today's potato day.

I hope you are continuing to have fun with your niece and staying on plan during your travels, cfine.

Have a good week, too, Mrs. S and Adoug4ho!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Smile!!

Down a pound!!! New low weight!!

Last edited by amundson; 02-26-2013 at 02:31 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Hurrah! Congratulations on the new low, Amundson!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Down a pound!!! New low weight!!
Awesome!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Good Afternoon Marvelous Challengers!

I'm hitting the gym after work today, cardio baby...making a nice dinner and I have to clean my house! I'm going to enlist my daughter to help me out, just been busy, so I've let a bunch of stuff go. BTW----I hate cleaning bathrooms...gotta be the worst job on the planet.

Didn't eat much today, not sure why, but I'll just go with it.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Man, I never manage to do more than throw in a load of laundry or wash some dishes after a full work day, let alone after working and going to the gym. I agree that cleaning bathrooms (and floors) is a miserable job, but you have the right to feel very virtuous doing it, Lindsay. You are Marvelous indeed.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Hello ladies! Wrestling with whether or not to go the gym or walk the puppies on this sunny, warmer day (FINALLY!). I think we'll walk. This week has been good for me. Excited for my Sunday weigh in. I'm hoping for 204. Really want to be under 200 by St. Patty's Day!!!!! I'm really sore from workouts this week, so I know that's affecting my weight too. Ugh.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Lucky you to be getting some sunny and warmer days, Adoug4ho. I wish I could say the same (well, my weather is in double digits rather than single digits, but I could use more than that.) Anyway, if I had a warm sunny day, I'd definitely choose to be outside in it. I hope you and the puppies had fun. What breed are they? How many?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you to have a celebratory St. Patrick's Day in onederland.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-27-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

I'm continuing on with my potato hack. The good news is that the scale is down to 181 this morning, even though I'm probably retaining some water from eating nothing but starches. The bad news is that I feel much less good--a bit achey, tired, gassy--eating potatoes rather than highfat/lowcarb. But I'm going to stick with potatoes at least through today and tomorrow.

Friday I'm invited out to both lunch and dinner with friends, so I won't be eating potatoes then. I got to pick the restaurants, so I know I'll be having a Cobb Salad with grilled shrimp for lunch and "Blue Cheese Crusted Fillet of Beef" with side Caesar salad and asparagus for dinner. Until then, potatoes, potatoes, potatoes ... with a side of lemon water.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Svenskamae, enjoy your time with friends!! Adoug4ho, I vote for walking the puppies!! I have two precious puppies who should get many more walks than they do! This is an opportunity for more exercise! The MN winter has been tough so they have not gotten out much. They are putting on weight and need to go on a diet! I guess we will all appreciate spring! 4myfuture, I hope your cleaning will inspire me! Strength and whooshes to everyone!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sven. I'm interested to see how your potato hack turns out. I'm not at all knowledgeable about hacks

I have a yorkie poo and a bichon frise. They're a mess! Here's our Christmas card. LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas 2012 Card.jpg (46.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Thanks Sven. I'm interested to see how your potato hack turns out. I'm not at all knowledgeable about hacks

I have a yorkie poo and a bichon frise. They're a mess! Here's our Christmas card. LOL.
There's just nothing to say to that picture except: "Awwwwww!" They are cuties!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. They're my babies
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking of babies, how are things going with your niece, cfine, and with staying on plan while travelling? I'm sending some positive thoughts and good karma your way.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I don't know about all of you, but cheese and nuts are my go-to foods if I am travelling or away from home. They are portable, nuts do not require refrigeration, and they can replace a meal. I try to limit and even avoid cheese and nuts ordinarily because they stall me, but they are better than the alternative in a pinch.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't know about all of you, but cheese and nuts are my go-to foods if I am travelling or away from home. They are portable, nuts do not require refrigeration, and they can replace a meal. I try to limit and even avoid cheese and nuts ordinarily because they stall me, but they are better than the alternative in a pinch.
Me, too. I like to use the individually wrapped babybels by Bonabel (light for JUDDD down days, regular for up days) when travelling. I sometimes put a jar of nutbutter, Flax crackers, a jar of coconut butter, and a tablespoon in my suitcase (if I'm checking it), when travelling for several days.

I measure out nuts and weigh cheese when I eat it at home. I don't know what it is that stalls me, but I haven't noticed it being nuts or cheese in particular.

I'm starting day 5 of my potato hack. My weight was down to 180 this morning, and I'm probably retaining around 3 pounds of water from eating starches, so I think I'm making progress, finally. Today's menu: Cold boiled fingerling potatoes with wheat-free tamari to dunk in, with a side of lemon water.