Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #1951
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Misti---make that me three on the anticipation of spring and warmth. I really do think winter is slowing my losses too. I'm in the house too much, and not very active. My sofa has the imprint of my butt on it,

Hope kitty is continuing to feel better. I'm another one who feeds our dog human food most of the time, but it is our scraps---the ones healthy for her, low carb of course and mostly meat. Like Trig, we always have a bowl of Iams out for when she's hungry and we're not around, but she only eats that as a last resort, and who can blame her. The vet used to give us the eye over this, but could never argue w/our dog's excellent health, and as my hubby said to him, "hey Doc, how did dog's survive before Purina?" We like that she gets good food, and we put the scraps to good use.

Trigger---Oh honey, you and I had the SAME night last night, and for the same reason. I'm to the point where I don't get hot flashes during the day much at all anymore and that's the good news. The bad news is I still get the night sweats every night and I'm several years ahead of you in this.

One thing I recommend is to invest in a ceiling fan over your bed w/different speeds. Don't know what I'd do w/ours. Sometime in the night I always end up turning it on and it really helps. Our house is old too, so we have register heat and it really blasts in the bedroom, w/little ability to regulate it short of turning it way down.

Funny thing is that as the women get hotter, the men get colder, If you were to see our bed from a bird's eye view in the middle of the night, you'd see me in my undies and a tank top, w/all the blankets thrown off, and right next to me is the hubby wrapped up like a burrito in blankets, only his nose sticking out.

Good day here, even though it started w/6 inches of snow and an early morning appt then several errands on snowy slippery roads. But I got a lot done.

Still up between 2 and 3 pounds over my low, but feeling much better about it today. Persistence is where it's at, and at a point I get irritated enough w/the scale that I decide to just take it on and stick to my guns. Been clean and lean the last few days, and eventually it will pay off.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #1952
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I was freezing cold last night, Trigger, but no hot flashes yet. DH has Hashimoto's thyroid disease so he does got hot and cold! He's mostly hot though.

You guys have the right idea feeding the dogs real meat. I've read a bit on raw and/or homemade diets but I am not ready to go there yet. I've found some canned foods that will work, I think, and kitty likes but they are expensive. I think homemade would be cheaper!

I feel like I did well eating-wise today, but for some reason I have heartburn right now. That almost never happens eating this way. I feel like maybe I cheated accidentally or something?! But really, I didn't today. I had an Atkins shake for breakfast, 2 fat bombs and and Atkins meal for lunch, a 100 cal pack of almonds for snack, a cheesebuger, Brussels sprouts with bacon and cheese, and a few dill pickle slices for supper. After supper I had and iced-tea lemonade drink mix also (2 carbs). Maybe it was the Brussels sprouts - I used too much oil olive today in them, I have a feeling that could be the problem. Contemplating taking a Maalox.

Weighed today, I am up too. About 4 lbs. over my low. At least I am still in "water weight" range. LOL. But I don't think this is water weight! I think I just need to eat well for a while. Hopefully that will be soon. Spring is only 30 days away at least!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #1953
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Misti I don't do raw. I don't trust supermarkets and their meats I would rather nuke his chicken. feel like I am safer on that. the vet told me with my little dog stick to 2 foods. once their pancreas adjusts to this is it best to keep them on that food only. because if you add more into the mix it causes the runs. I found this with my little dog....never had a problem with my big dogs. my big outside dogs I feed every scrape available and they did fine. but the little dog, holy, I have to be super careful with him. he sticks to chicken and IAMS. even when we go rv'ing---I nuke chicken and bring it. believe me better safe than sorry

My bet...the iced-tea lemonade. that stuff does funky things to my gut. all those drinks like crystal light, or any type of powdered additive to water nails my gut for some reason.

Blue you had me laughing cause my hubby is wrapped like a burrito also !!! I have the adjustable speed fan in my bedroom but for me it drives me nutso having air hit me from overtop. why? I don't know. I rarely use it.

Hit my scale. down 1 lb. WEE. not fab but will take it! at least it is starting to move in the right direction. strangely I am in that 'feeling of losing zone' so I might be able to hit a new low. I am 199 exact today. Now my push to get 4 lbs off fast as possible and make 195 my new low and hover there for a bit. eh, we shall see

should be good eating day. woke up not hungry. kinda bloaty feeling even tho I lost 1 on the scale. huh. I feel like the winter blues are stuck to my tummy or something!

off to get stuff done. busy day as usual. hang tough guys. we will get this rolling in the right direction.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #1954
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---interesting on the heartburn thing. I hardly ever experience it anymore and when I do, I too wonder why. In the year before I went LC, I was experiencing it often for the first time in my life, then on LC it all but went away. And the funny thing is, the few times it's struck since, it hasn't been because of a carb cheat, but rather on a clean LC day w/things I eat often. I'm just thankful it's rare these days.

On the "is it water weight or is it real weight gain thing" this is IMO, very hard to tell w/in 4 lbs. For me, I can bounce up to close to 4 pounds and then be down 2 the next day. So I think Phinney and Volek have it right when they put the parameter at 4 lbs when it comes to water weight. The only time I've gone above the 4 pound up zone, was when I went to Cartagena. 7 lbs up when I came home, and yet still, it only took me somewhere between a week and two weeks to lose it, totally on plan of course.

Wish I could lose 7 real pounds in 2 weeks, but I can't. I think it's important to realize how much we have to eat off plan to gain 4 real pounds. But then of course, there's not really gaining, and yet not really losing either.

Trigger---one lb down is a big deal, particularly when that pound puts you back in onederland, and close again to your lowest (198?) since I've been here. I so agree, the "mini goal" now is to get a bit further away from that Onederland precipice. If you hang tight to even 196, you'll be in a new territory, one where when you bounce up a bit, you're still in onederland. I loved it when that happened for me. Mini goals, I live for 'em.

Had a work lunch at Panera today---the chicken avocado cobb salad. Tonight is steak, roasted tomato and boursin cheese salad. I do love my salads...I guess they're kind of like a LC casserole to me, and if I'm in the mood for them they often satisfy me more than a piece of meat and a veggie.

Which brings up a question I have for you gals. I have been reading increasingly lately that some LC experts and Docs say not to count the carbs in leafy and green veggies. What do y'all think?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #1955
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals,

Did fine today until after supper. Then hit the peanuts and sugar-free chocolate. Can't really blame the weather since it was 45 degrees out today! Weight this morning was the same as yesterday though. I feel better today, heartburn went away while I slept, I didn't take anything for it afterall.

Glad your scale went down Trigger! You will be well into the 100's soon.

Blue, not sure about not counting carbs in green vegetables. Leafy greens, ok, I think they are neglible. But last time I checked vegetables I like such as Brussels sprouts and asparagus have a few carbs. Not sure why the non-fiber carbs shouldn't be counted? Is there a reason given?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #1956
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---I read too much on this stuff to remember sometimes. There was a poster here whose LC hip Doc told her not to worry about leafy greens and I thought it said green veggies too, but could be wrong. Then I googled it and found something by Chris Kessler saying the same, but can't find it now or remember the whys---although intuitively it seems to me that these carbs would not be as important as say the ones in Balsamic vinegar for instance, which are sugar based. But as you know, there's no glycemic load data on non starchy vegetables.

It's not a big deal to me either way, as the NCs on green veggies are quite low. But there are those days on the tracker I'd love to take them out, but that's just silly me trying to get an A for the day.

Back later in the day gals, off to a day of edit.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #1957
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Hi gals,

Did fine today until after supper. Then hit the peanuts and sugar-free chocolate. Can't really blame the weather since it was 45 degrees out today! Weight this morning was the same as yesterday though. I feel better today, heartburn went away while I slept, I didn't take anything for it afterall.

Glad your scale went down Trigger! You will be well into the 100's soon.

Blue, not sure about not counting carbs in green vegetables. Leafy greens, ok, I think they are neglible. But last time I checked vegetables I like such as Brussels sprouts and asparagus have a few carbs. Not sure why the non-fiber carbs shouldn't be counted? Is there a reason given?
I believe that fiber carbs are not absorbed into the body and therefore do not affect blood sugar. Some count them, some don't.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #1958
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthepath View Post
I believe that fiber carbs are not absorbed into the body and therefore do not affect blood sugar. Some count them, some don't.
I was talking about non-fiber carbs in vegetables - there are some.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #1959
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't even worry ONE bit about carbs from my broccoli, asparagus, or any other veggie I eat. in all honestly, there wasn't a veggie on this earth that made me fat

if I go over in carbs with veggie amts I never thought twice about it.

a carb from a veggie (not the heavy starch veggies obviously) isn't a worry at all to me.

moving slow guys. tired. just plain stinking, every-loving, unbelievably TIRED

I know you guys know this feeling.

scale holding which is fine.

tried my smaller size bathing suit on yesterday for a try out. fit nice. still want ALOT more gone but at least I know I have alot more time til I have to wear it out on the beach. I truly need some lbs moving off now.

rode the horse a bit yesterday and fit her new tack to her. my saddle came with stirrup straps made from velcro. WTH? velcro? LOL I want leather. surprised me the 'cheap' of it but it seems like a nice new saddle in general. fit my butt well and the horse

off to get things done. things piling up a bit on me since I can't seem to get my butt in gear.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #1960
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Trig, loved your post on the ML today, regarding the poster who wanted "proof" and the conflicting posts that ensued. I think you did a great job of bringing perspective to the conversation by putting out Jimmy Moore's numbers to answer to those who would wish to describe LC their way and only their way. This happens all the time on the ML, and as we've discussed, it gets old. GOOD JOB.

Sorry to hear you're feeling so tired today, tired makes me feel so vulnerable to everything. And you know, there's a good tired, after a long but productive day, and then there's just an icky tired that is often part physical and part psychological. In any case I wish you a good night's sleep, sweet dreams, and a new and better day tomorrow. And good to hear your holding at your new low!

Was just getting ready to ask you about Jade---sounds like you two are getting to know each other. Like I've said, I just know Jade is one lucky horsey to have you!

LONG work day today. Had a salad for lunch, which is about the only thing on plan to do when eating downtown, and where everyone else wants to eat. So I'm a bit saladed out, and I'm going to make a LC pizza tonight on a fried up LC tortilla. Then I'm going to hit the sack early and read my very good new book.

Down to 183.2 this AM. So just a scotch above my low, which I only saw for one day anyway. SIGH, this is the house that Blue's body built---will always lose and gain the same pounds a couple of times before I get into new territory. But I'll get there. We all will. YES WE WILL.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #1961
Major LCF Poster!

Yea, Trigger for smaller clothes and a bit of horse riding! And I agree with Blue on your ML post. My son is hopefully in the "moderate" carb range at worst. He had a dr. visit yesterday and she is very happy as he has stayed the same weight for a year (while growing in height). So his BMI is on the way down. Hopefully we can keep him here for a while. Glad you are down again today Blue. I am holding steady. I think I might have to skip the scale tomorrow as we went to BBQ tonight and had some boiled peanuts. VERY salty and you could really tell they are realted to beans, rather than nuts, when you eat them all wet. Strange but good. Work is busy and stressful, sounds like you are busy too Blue. Tomorrow we may get bad weather, but I should be able to make it in. Hopefully getting home won't be a problem, but I guess we shall see.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #1962
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---I SO admire the way you've persisted in trying to find the best path for your son. You're about 98% ahead of most who are dealing w/children who are a bit overweight, IMO. What I really notice is that you are so respectful of what he likes to eat, and what doesn't work for him. Seems to me you have done an excellent job of guiding w/out dictating, which of course always backfires. You are aware and helpful and ON IT, without being over bearing. You are gently guiding him to better eating habits, but keeping in mind he's a kid and needs to enjoy what he eats. Heck, we all do. Good job, Mama!

Nothing wrong with holding steady! As I often say, it's the second best option to losing.
And yeah, I think we too are in for a blizzard tomorrow, glad I have a work at home day tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #1963
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I certainly am not pushing Jimmy Moore on anyone

I just thought his notes on 'what is considered low carb' were a good one to copy and paste to give perspective.

so many on the main board are 10-20 nc and ANYTHING over that is NOT low carb. sorry but it is. I think every now and then it has to be pointed out that someone eating 40 nc is not 'doing it wrong'. but I really think the heavy hitter carbs are mostly why we are all here doing lc. they do funk in the body. along with that dreaded sodium.

Misti I too am so proud when I read about how you are helping your son along. you are giving him good things to learn about basic food in life, especially long term life. I try constantly with my daughter also. She is figuring it slowly out.

we are doing this guys our way and we gotta keep that in our minds. we do what we must to work it into our lives, make it somewhat enjoyable to lose lbs.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #1964
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hey Trig, loved your post on the ML today, regarding the poster who wanted "proof" and the conflicting posts that ensued. I think you did a great job of bringing perspective to the conversation by putting out Jimmy Moore's numbers to answer to those who would wish to describe LC their way and only their way. This happens all the time on the ML, and as we've discussed, it gets old. GOOD JOB.

Sorry to hear you're feeling so tired today, tired makes me feel so vulnerable to everything. And you know, there's a good tired, after a long but productive day, and then there's just an icky tired that is often part physical and part psychological. In any case I wish you a good night's sleep, sweet dreams, and a new and better day tomorrow. And good to hear your holding at your new low!

Was just getting ready to ask you about Jade---sounds like you two are getting to know each other. Like I've said, I just know Jade is one lucky horsey to have you!

LONG work day today. Had a salad for lunch, which is about the only thing on plan to do when eating downtown, and where everyone else wants to eat. So I'm a bit saladed out, and I'm going to make a LC pizza tonight on a fried up LC tortilla. Then I'm going to hit the sack early and read my very good new book.

Down to 183.2 this AM. So just a scotch above my low, which I only saw for one day anyway. SIGH, this is the house that Blue's body built---will always lose and gain the same pounds a couple of times before I get into new territory. But I'll get there. We all will. YES WE WILL.
What is ML??
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #1965
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I certainly am not pushing Jimmy Moore on anyone

I just thought his notes on 'what is considered low carb' were a good one to copy and paste to give perspective.

so many on the main board are 10-20 nc and ANYTHING over that is NOT low carb. sorry but it is. I think every now and then it has to be pointed out that someone eating 40 nc is not 'doing it wrong'. but I really think the heavy hitter carbs are mostly why we are all here doing lc. they do funk in the body. along with that dreaded sodium.

Misti I too am so proud when I read about how you are helping your son along. you are giving him good things to learn about basic food in life, especially long term life. I try constantly with my daughter also. She is figuring it slowly out.

we are doing this guys our way and we gotta keep that in our minds. we do what we must to work it into our lives, make it somewhat enjoyable to lose lbs.

Trigger---in NO WAY did you come across as "pushing" Jimmy Moore on anyone. Rather, you were the first person on that thread who attempted to add some perspective, by throwing in a thought about what most of the world considers "low carb." Good Lord, I often get shocked looks when I say I'm doing 25 to 35 NCs a day---closer to 35 these days most days---and that's from folks who even know what I'm talking about. Like my brother the Doc for instance, who is supportive to a point, but somewhat shocked at how little that is in terms of what most folks eat, or even what I think he would dream of recommending to his patients. Only here is that considered moderate, LOL!

I am aware some have issues with Moore, but you know, he was another pioneer in bringing LC to the forefront and giving it voice. And, he's a guy whose fought the battles we fight against carb addiction. Maybe he's made some mistakes, don't really follow it that closely. But I'll cut him some slack, and his numbers that you presented are pretty close to what I've read elsewhere, again, except here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthepath View Post
What is ML??
ML is the Main Lobby, the "front page" of this site. Hey onthepath, if you don't mind me asking, where are you in Minnesota? We could be neighbors.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #1966
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

welcome onthepath!!

this thread was started for people not doing a particular plan. Just 'Our Own Way' of eating lower to mod. carbs. We just chat about what it takes to keep the lbs. coming off and to chat about how to keep lc enjoyable thru long term life experiences wtihout hopefully falling apart in the end

I love our little thread. It helps me alot and gives me some accountability. Jump in and join our chats and hang around and lose some lbs. with us

Blue you are so right about shocked about less than 60-70-80 nc for the day. When I say 30-40 nc people can't believe how low that is, and of course most days I am lower...that is my MOD area HAHA But I think it is so important for people to know not everyone has to be that low thru life for weight loss. You can go a bit higher in nets if you choose foods carefully.

I travelled thru a zillion low carb sites. If I see something that hits info I like to know and remember, I bookmark or copy/paste certain things, cause heck I might not ever go to that site again. I don't know ''alot'' about Moore at all. Just loved his spot on what low carb is considered out there in the big bad world.

Lost .6 on the scale. Sweet. take every stinking ounce down the scale!! at least it means I am resetting my low number I hope and limping toward that 195 I want so bad.

busy day today. tons to do. got a farmer market meeting tonight at 6pm. bleck.

at least the days are getting warmer big time here. I feel that spring is on its way and we are heating up nicely. sun thru the winters yesterday put the house at 75. I swear I thought I was going to have to turn on AC....what? LOL might be getting time to open the windows soon.

SwimSuitsforAll. swimsuits for all is a great website. suits on 50-60% off now. I saw one I liked and got it, then went back and got 2 more. $30 bucks each. down from like $79. then I scanned more sites and the 2014 price for that one suit I bought was $89. WHAT. I got great deals. bought all in smaller sizes so I have something to work toward now. Like Blue says, buy a bit smaller and reach for that goal. OH YEA I am doing it. While I know the suits will fit (cause I did buy one that size before and tried it on from my closet) if I lose about 15 more by summer the suits should fit amazing. When I get thinner, I can mostly wear all suits, they don't HAVE to be long torso. So I am experimenting wtih these suits.

eh, always working toward something, which is good I guess.

Last edited by Trigger828; 02-20-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #1967
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals.

Been snowing since about 1pm. Started out as rain and turned to snow, yuck, rain will freeze under the snow. So glad to be home and cozy today. Tidied up the place a bit and that felt good. When I'm home all day a neater house makes a difference in my mood. I can only let things stay messy when I'm not there to care. As my mom always said, "messy house, messy mind." LOL, but I find it to be true for me---putting things into order around me helps me think clearer.

And as for you Miss Trigger, telling us all about how warm it is there, and how close spring is---does the ink here look green with envy? It should. I actually like winter, but this one has gone a bit overboard.

Great news on the .6 down, Trig! And buying those swimsuits is what I call a "good trigger," in more ways than one. I went to the site you talked about and found two I really liked. Both are just a nice simple black tank, one higher necked and one w/a scoop neck and crossed black strap. Think it's called the Aquabelle. I like a simple black tank look, but most of them are too skimpily cut for me. Plus they don't usually have tummy control. Aquabelle has it and a nice cut too. Very tempted but SIGH, so long till I can wear it.

Misti---you may be getting what we're getting in weather, so soon too. Bundle up and stay home warm and cozy when you can.

Had a LC tortilla pizza for lunch. Had one last night too. Been awhile since I've been into these, but boy have they been tasting good. I'm tellin' you gals, frying up that LC tortilla (I do the Tortilla factory, 6 NCs for a wrap the size of a small pizza) in some butter makes all the difference for me, would never eat these as a regular wrap, but then I'm not that crazy about wraps, period.
Then I put the shredded cheese of my choice on top, w/what ever other toppings I want---love roasted tomatoes, sauteed onions, sour cream and hot sauce--- and YUM.

Tonight it's open faced tuna cheesies on a split GLCBC onion pocket. Maybe some berries and cream for dessert, or a GLCBC lemon cake bar w/whipped cream and berries. My tracker should be happy w/me today, coming in on calorie and carb goal.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #1968
Senior LCF Member

Blue Skies, I am in a small town in southern Mn called Blooming Prairie. About 40 miles west of Rochester, between Owatonna and Austin. Where are you from?

I have been doing low carb my way for a few years, but can't seem to lose any more weight. So I have been on this sight reading about so many different woeing and different opinions about what to do that I am getting a little crazy. I tried JUDDD for a week or so and ended up binging horrible. Felt way too deprived. Try A72 and after a week or two, I want more variety and start adding lc veggies and pork rind breading and then I stop losing.
So right now I am a little frustrated and if I hadn't talked my DH into joining me the first of Feb. I might just quit trying again. I have lost and regained the same 10 pounds way too many times in the past year.
I love eating lc my way, but I don't seem to be losing any weight.
I enjoy reading your thread and appreciate the warm welcome.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #1969
Major LCF Poster!

onthepath--- haven't been to Blooming Prairie specifically, but know the general area quite well, as my hubby is from Rochester, and much of his family is still there or around there, including in Fairbault, Northfield and Mantorville, we visit all of them occasionally. I live in St. Paul, in the city. So while we're hardly right next door, we're not too far from each other either. Close enough that I bet you're experiencing the same tough winter storm we are today!

I'm glad you decided to join in w/your story, and I hope you'll join in more often. Trigger, another poster here who you're probably familiar with, has had some experience with JUDD, and it didn't work for her so well either.

IMO, solid uncomplicated LC is the best. But it is still a journey with many stops and starts and frustrations. We have some fun, and lean a lot chatting with each other about it here, and we definitely welcome you. Don't give up yet! You just might find us, and this woe irresistable yet.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #1970
Major LCF Poster!

Just had to check in again quick. I don't usually have a big night time snack urge, but every once in awhile it grabs me. Tonight was one of those times, and oh boy, did I make a delishmo low carb snack, and I just have to share.

So I ordered some GLCBC lemon cake squares and got them a couple of days ago. Tried one and liked it, but tonight I figured out how to make it 10 times as yummy. Instead of eating it at room temp, I microwaved it till it was pleasantly warm, added whipped cream, a small amt of raspberries, and a sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut. OMG, it was insanely good.

Thinking the next thing I'll try is frying one of these lemon cake squares in butter and then adding the toppings. Like the bread and bagels, I find warming up these products makes a big difference.

These are of course not cheap, and they're not big. But man, what a treat. They are 3 NCs.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #1971
Senior LCF Member

Blue Skies, what is GLCBC?
Yes we are getting blasted with a winter blizzard. First heavy wet snow and then the wind. All through the night we could hear chunks of snow/ice blowing off the trees into the windows. Noisy, but thankfully, this morning no broken windows. Still blowing like crazy but nice and warm in here.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #1972
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great Low Carb Bread Company....big thread running on the main lobby board about it. people trying the new bagels, etc. being offered.

Blue your lemon squares sound delish. It is great your mind is in the 'lets make lc desserts' and enjoy the heck out of them it is the way to success!

you know last night I wanted to munch. I was thinking all kinds of things ---then get this---thought of making a cake mix at 11 pm last night just to eat it HAHA I didn't of course, but man the things one starts to fantasize about is crazy.

Big storm. rain by the buckets, insane wind, thunder and lightening. over now. pastures/yard etc. sloppy insane flooded mess. so wet from that stupid snow, now we are water logged to the max. bleck

My Dad has some tests. MRI to the head for this giant bump that appeared on the middle of his forehead. found out it is fungal infection, caught early. fancy set of antibiotics for 2 weeks, then back to hosp. for small surgery to clean out, wipe out, medicate area to be sure it is handled. Dr. said small things like this in the brain area could be worse if left untreated so Dad is happy. hey being 85 everything kinda makes him skittish LOL but good news from the hosp. today so we are all relieved.

1/2 day for school. gonna pick up nicole and friend at 12:30. lucky kids never seem to go to school.

off to make some unsweet tea. SO THIRSTY for some reason. not hungry mostly, just want to fill up on liquids. huh? wonder what that means, other than being thirsty. feel almost like I need 50 gallons in me. hmmm
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #1973
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trudei
New here

Hello, my name is Trudei and I would love to join your group. I have been trying to read through all of the post and it is taking me forever - I am currently on page 33 and thought I go ahead and introduce myself:

I am 43yo, I have been married for 23 years (in May). I have 3 children DS 20yo, DS 17yo and DD 15yo. I work full time as an accountant at our local courthouse and help my husband run our trucking company.

I feel like I have been overweight most of my adult life, I have done every type of diet out there. About 1 1/2 years ago I lost almost to my goal weight on one of those low calorie diets (it closely resembled low carb but like 500 - 700 calories max) but when I went off of that diet I gained it all back. I truly believe in order to loss and keep it off I need to stay away from carbs. I really like the idea of this group and have already learned just from reading from the boards. I would love to lose 50 pounds - I haven't lost anything yet (gosh darn mother nature showed up and I never lose during that time, this time the plan is to not gain).
TIA
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #1974
Major LCF Poster!

trudei!

We'd love to have you join us. LOL, there's a lot of pages on this thread. If you want to know who's here these days and a more current read on what's going on here, start from the end and go back 5-10 pages and you'll get the idea of who we are today.

Looking forward to you checking in w/us, but for now I'll just tell you that I started my LC woe a year ago with the same goal as yours---to lose 50 lbs. I have lost 42 pounds so far, and am very happy on this woe. And I did it enjoying what I eat, and sticking to 25 to 35 grams of carbs a day, and learning SO MUCH along the way. You CAN do this, just fasten your seat belt for the journey and call up our good friend, Ms. Patience,

onthepath---Yes, do check out the Great Low Carb Bread Company. And like Trig said, do check out the ML thread on these products,it will tell you even more.

Yep, that was a heck of a winter storm. Our power went out from 9pm last night till early this AM. First time I've read by flashlight since I was a kid! And yeah, the wind was howling and the iced down branches were flying. All over our yard this morning!

Trigger---Pheeeew! I'm feeling the relief for you about your dad. SO HAPPY, for this benign result and hoping your Dad feels better and better. Lost my Dad a year and a half ago, and miss him all the time. My mom is 86, frail physically, but still so sharp mentally and doing her best to kick old age in the butt, but it's a tough fight.

If you're thinking of making cakes at 11pm, then you really should try these GLCBC lemon squares. I'm tellin' you girl, they are good, particularly added to w/no end of LC possibilities. BUT, I am not prone to binge on the sweet or desserts, so that's a factor here. These cakes are too expensive to binge on, 2.79 per. But one w/ the topping was SO satisfying and yummy to me.

Another work day at home, lots more of those lately due to some big changes in my major client. Got my work done this AM, and then was feeling the need to get out of the house.

So despite the terrible storm of last night, I pulled out to run some errands by 2pm today. Needed new bras. Been wearing the same ones since I weighed 42 pounds more, and they were beginning to look like hell, like a dehydrated grape, particularly in the upper area. Geeze, I hate trying to fit new bras even more than jeans! But in the end, I got just what I needed.

I also got the BEST jeans in a very light buttery wheat color, and a washed blue, so on sale! And ta da, I'm now much more a size 14 than a 16. Both jeans I bought are 14s and only the smallest nip too tight in the waist. Very wearable now and will be in San Diego. Done w/16s, they're just too big for me too look good.

Down to my lowest so far this am, 182.2. I've got a month to get to my goal of 180 by the time I go to San Diego. And I think I'll just make it!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #1975
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday, gals.

It's a cold one here and we're still digging ourselves out of that latest storm, which was quit icy and brutal. Had to cancel dinner with my brother Thursday, and a pal of mine and I just canceled our dinner date for tonight because the roads and freeways are still so icy. Not worth the stress of driving on it, specially at night.

So I'm home bound today, not getting much done either. La-Z-girl. If I can motivate myself, I'm going to make some doukah, from the nom nom. It's a bunch of interesting spices, roasted, and then ground together. I think it will be delish on buttered veggies. We'll see if I can get my doukahs up, or if I do foukah.

Now I'm left not knowing what to do for dinner, since I hadn't planned on being here and I'm kind of low on groceries. Not going out to get them. So we'll see, might just throw a couple little treats together, instead of one meal.

Feeling good on the woe today, my shopping trip yesterday was rewarding and motivating. Although the weight has been slow to go, the body is definitely changing. Hope you gals are having a good one too.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #1976
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue it is good Dad has a good outlook on all this. he has to have surgery to remove the fungus. very weird all this stuff but it is what it is and he is glad he can have it handled and actually be ok after. he was worried. Your mom sounds like mine. My mom is a bit wobbly now also but sharp as a tack.

warm here today. hearing the icy cold snowy weather and I think I am so happy I am southern. I can't handle that cold and snow. used to do it when I was up north, but the easy winters are so much nicer on the old bones.

I had some beers at mom's visiting with my brother and ate some off plan stuff. I am bloated and stuffed and determined to slog down tons of water. didn't do horrible but the tummy just can't handle it anymore.

all is good. everything seems 'off' these last few days but seems it is becoming more 'on' now and I am getting back into the groove of things.

HI Trudei jump in a chat away. I also think it is those pesky carbs that literally are the weight problems. the more you stay away from the carbs the better I feel....so duh, there has to be something in that LOL

I also have about 45 I want to finish losing. time for me to get into gear since spring is fast approaching and I know I can have the weight mostly gone if I 'just do it' :P
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #1977
Major LCF Poster!

Trig---yep, it's "very weird" all the stuff that it takes to keep us alive, and it's not always about just age. We are lucky that we have so many resources and options to keep us healthy. I would not want to have lived in a past time, as much as I love reading about history, and I'm quite sure there will be those who come after us, and say the same about the times we live in. For now, again, just so happy your pop is doing fine and the diagnosis wasn't worse.

Checked back in to say I DID make the Dukkah, spelled it wrong in my above post. So tonight I sliced up a half of a cauliflower, and sauteed it in the ghee I bought and haven't had the chance to try yet. The thing about ghee is that it has a high burning temp of almost 500 degrees. So, you can saute with it w/out fear of burning if you turn your head for a minute. It maintains the sweetest and butteriest flavor.

I sprinkled the cauliflower w/sea salt and pepper, and a generous sprinkle of the Dukkah mix I made--which includes roasted coriander, cumin, sesame, hazel nut, and pistachio nuts, all ground into one topping.

OMG, it was SO GOOD. Now, I'm not one to go on and on about veggies outside of a salad, and this is one of the reasons I was attracted to this recipe---thought to myself, that might enhance the lure of certain veggies for me. And boy did it! And I'm telling you, the ghee is so deeply buttery and good. So, I had a big bowl of cauliflower prepared this way, and I am full and satisfied. Would never have said that was even a remote possibility.

Again, the Nom Nom cook book is amazing and so doable. I have an old pal who is a FANTASTIC cook, always has been, unlike me, and she got this cook book too, and can't stop talking about it.

So happy to check in w/my tracker today, as thanks to the cauliflower ghee and dukkah recipe that has so satisfied me, I'm going to check in way under my calorie goals and slightly under my carb goals. It's all good, and I LOVE experimenting w/these new things!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #1978
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue your nom nom book is giving you great ideas. which you pass to us I like that!

that cauliflower sounds delish for sure! I love cauli and would love to try this.

for me, I had a chat with myself. stop the BS and get back on track. just maintaining literally and having a good time doing it. so now it is LOSE SOME WEIGHT TIME. NO more excuses, fun, partying, nibbles, spoonfuls, etc. LC has to be first and foremost again. I got tired of it. LC always up front but WOW, DUH, I realize right now it must be that, first and foremost. I mean how else does on lose and get down the scale if it ins't a priority. So it is #1 again.

tons of bacon with scrambled eggs this morning. water and more water. nothing else yet.

hubby went up to check his hunting lease land. left at 7:00 am and should be back soon.

I worked on barn, fencing, and everything else that barns need done

I carried a 50 lb bag of feed down to the feed room on my shoulder. OOPS! KILLED ME. I had neck surgery about 10 years ago and am careful and getting older but I tried it and WOW, I am stiff as a board and my neck hurts. WELL STUPID I SURE deserved that. So much rain didn't want to drive thru the pasture to the barn. Well gonna buy like 10 bags and have hubby take them down so I won't have to be worrying about feed anytime soon.

it is always something.

dinner is chicken alfredo sauce with broccoli.

will be very light eating day. time for lbs. to move, move, and move. No more playing. and I am doing just that, playing now time for that to be over.

off to get things done, daylight is burning fast
Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #1979
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---hope your neck is OK. 50lbs, whoa, that's a load to carry so far!
Sounds like you had a talk w/your evil twin, LOL. I have to do that now and then too, mine has all kinds of naughty ideas. Seriously, you're so close to the 195, just 4 pounds. Maybe if you thought of it as just a month of eating clean and you'll be there. I've noticed that when you put your mind to it you drop fairly steadily and I think you could do this in one month. Sometimes it helps me to think of it all in different ways.

Another lazy day for me, I feel like a real slug after hearing what you did. Didn't sleep well last night, so had a nice nap this afternoon. All I've had so far is another bowl of cauli w/ghee and dukkah. I must say, I'm never do the mashed cauli again. Just don't like the texture. But when I sautee up slices of cauli I like it.

Making myself some tuna cheesies on the GLCBC onion rolls. Then a GLCBC lemon square, whipped cream and blackberries for dessert w/some calories to spare.

Can't believe it's already Sunday night. Big day tomorrow, lots of appointments, no time to think about eating, and that's the good news because I have a dinner date w/a pal planned and want to save my carbs and cals for that.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #1980
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes I have to say 'when I do it right' I can drop lbs. fast. I have NOT been doing it right my little break is over. It has to be about getting some lbs off and moving down now.

Neck mildly sore this morning. will live !! I hate when I do somethign to myself and it slows me down. Should be ok in another day or so.

Gotta hit the store for some stuff to make my basic lc meals perfect again.

AND I went on netrition and orderd everything bagels, rye bread and plain crackers. I figure I will start here I realize I need a few options in this department and they I just can't find anything local that gives me choices.

Should be easy day today, some barn work and other things--woke up feeling not hungry and lc is in my mind so hopefully I can get on the ball and get this weight loss happening again.

Misti needs a check in by the way LOL get back here girl!!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 02-24-2014 at 04:30 AM..
Closed Thread