Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #1861
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
You're right of course Blue. Funny thing is the tracker says I should lose 1.2 lbs. a week eating 1410 calories (my goal). But I lost more than that last week with calories on track and I lost that this week going over calories. So I think (I hope) I am seeing the low carb advantage on the calories. I do want to keep losing but I'm not in a rush. We do need to keep it sustainable.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #1862
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Congrats Misti. Holding that loss and moving forward!

I will check into that chocolate. Lily's. I know that weird texture of the sugar free choco. is strange. I would love to find a good sub. Definitely going to get some and try it. thanks

the low carb advantage. You said that right. Even if I eat over in calories, if I stay low carb eventually the body will give up something. Some of my best drops on the scale is when I ate a ton of lc foods, thinking I wouldn't possibly lose, and I did. I like situations like that!

Misti congrats on getting noticed. When someone says you changed, you know they see the loss. means you are on the right track doing it great!

So windy and cold here it is crazy. wind is whipping full speed out there. makes the house shake I am so ready for spring!

woke up not hungry so I think I can easily control this day. gonna jump on some bacon and eggs later. dinner, not sure tonight. but I am leaning toward beef something
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #1863
Major LCF Poster!

This is the forum I am on that I can not 'edit' after 15 minutes
drives me NUTS.
so ya gotta type again

got on scale cause I was dying to know. lost 1/2 lb WHOOP!

clean lighter lc works so well for me. DUH, ya think I could pound that into my head LOL

went to store for ciggies (yea, that is something else I am going to tackle after hitting goal), got a smoked beef brisket. YUM. but I realized it is rubbed with SALT and.....so I haven't eaten too much. will space this small brisket out over a few days.

off to ride a horse at 2 but thinking of cancelling. Wind is whipping out of control. BLECK and stinking cold too
Old 01-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #1864
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Gals---I do think there's a "carb advantage."

Was thinking that last time I lost 50 lbs I did it by eating 1500 calories a day, exercising for an hour a day, 6 times a week, and avoiding fats like the plague. This time I started at about 1800 calories a day, haven't exercised a lick,(although I wanna want to add some in ) have eaten lots of fats, and am much more satisfied on this woe than the last. That's what I call an advantage!

I have slowly reduced my calorie goals to 1500 a day again, after almost a year doing LC, but if I don't make it and end up higher, no biggie, just good to be aware and making decisions accordingly. And, I'm not feeling deprived, and the scale is co-operating. Again, that's what I call an advantage.

Trigger---1/2 pound down is good news, going in the right direction. You're not spending the time you used to fighting the bloat, but instead getting some rewards. When that happens for me, it motivates the heck out of me, and becomes a good cycle, the more I'm motivated, the more I lose, the more I lose, the more I'm motivated.

Sounds like a nasty day for a ride, maybe hard to concentrate on the horse and the ride when you're freezing your bum off.

Cold again here today, then warmer tomorrow they say, then back into the polar depths Monday---the thermometer is acting like blue's scale, .

Off to run a few errands, one of which is to return some Chico's pants I bought on line that are way too big! Nice surprise as I could have sworn they would fit knowing their sizes. Hope they have the pants in a smaller size, but if not, I'll take this problem!

Down to 184.0, .4 down from my lowest yet. Might check in later.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #1865
Major LCF Poster!

Back from the pants errand w/three new pairs! The jeans I bought at the end of last summer are all too big and I wanted some lighter wash ones for San Diego. I bought one pair of black jeans that look great right now, and the other two will look great 5 pounds down, which I hope to be by then.

Had a fun conversation in front of the big mirror outside the fitting rooms, w/2 other women around my age trying on jeans, all of us lamenting that the butts and thighs are baggy when the waste fits, and when the butts and thighs fit, the waste is tight.

Than one gal pipes up and says, "well it's a lot better than it used to be since I went Low carb." Well...you can imagine the chat that ensued between she and I, while the other woman listened, and finally said, "I think I have to look into this." Nice to have a random conversation out there w/someone whose not afraid of fat. We had a good laugh about that.

My open faced London Boil sandwich/roasted tomatoes, sauteed onions and Boursin cheese sandy was so fantastic last night, I'm going to do a repeat tonight, but w/no bread and a rib eye. A sliced avocado w/dressing for a side. YUM.

Have already filled in my tracker, and if I eat what I plan, I'll come in at goal on calories and under for carbs.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #1866
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Gals---I do think there's a "carb advantage."
Meant to say LOW carb advantage.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #1867
Major LCF Poster!

When I lost the 70 lbs before I was about 1400 calories, low fat and extremely careful what foods I did eat. Actually, people THINK that low carb is restrictive. With alot of food groups gone. Well, when I did low fat/low cal. believe me ALOT of foods were gone from my menu also. I mean all those fatty foods no bacon. no ribs. no taters with butter. I basically ditched bread/pasta also. Problem being, I would rather eat more satisfying fatty foods that make a 'good meal' vs. eating low calorie, non fatty foods and still having to eat a 'small meal' and be hungry.

there is a lc advantage. one thing tho I didn't excerise to lose that 70 hardly at all. I just basically starved as I got lower and lower on the scale I had to cut calories dramatically. In the end I was like 1000 cals. to maintain. NO WAY that was happening.

Blue, love you buy those clothes 5 lbs too small. It is a great incentive for you to keep going to get into them. You FOUND an lc'er out there in the world. Cool. every time I talk losing weight no one will accept the old 'I can't give up bread ever' junk conversation. ugh. at least you had a great chat and got new pants!

Called off the ride. Called him and said definitely interested, just couldn't do it. SO COLD and WINDY. brrrrr. he said no problem, will ride later when weather a tad better.

So I got on the scale. WOO. dropped 1 lb. I am still not writing my weight yet. Another week and then I will change stats. I didn't eat much yesterday. I had 3 very very small helpings of beef brisket thru the day. Last night I had 3 russell stover sf candies and 1 cup swiss miss diet cocoa.

I have dropped alot since the sick time because I am eating very limited, very low foods lately. Not the norm for me at all, but since I am just not hungry, being extremely clean lc, this will all kick in and give me a good loss. (I DO know that when I eat some fuller meals a few lbs will come back as usual but at this point I am going for all the drops I can get and see where I land)

The drops on the scale are giving me more motivation to get lower and lower as fast as I can before I eat for real again and slow down the losses.

Kinda feel that hunger coming back so will start the day with bacon and alot of it. as I said many times before that bacon is a good hold for me. really satisfies me to the point of after eating alot, I just don't care about anything else to eat thru the day.

Sunday. Cold outside. going to do minor things. nothing back breaking relax time.

I hope you guys are doing well also!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-26-2014 at 05:18 AM..
Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #1868
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---whoohoo, another pound down! You are on a roll. Good to take advantage of those times we're not so hungry, whether from being sick, or just because we're not. Today is one of those days for me, as that ribeye steak last night really sated me. Man, now there's a way to get your fat in!

Misti---hope you're having a nice, relaxing weekend w/good LC yummies.

Finally took down the tree today. This is the longest I've ever left it up, and still felt a tug to see it go. It's been such a bright cheery presence over these cold and snowy weeks since Xmas. But it is nice to have that corner of the living room back, and I've been tidying and re-arranging all day, so it's looking neat and pretty, even w/out the tree. Since styling rooms is a part of what I do, I have to be in the right mood to take it on at home, but today was the day, and it does feel good.

Had some BPC for breakfast, and an artichoke and pork tenderloin for dinner.
Bummed it's already almost Sunday evening, but happy that Downton Abbey will be on in a few hours! Love that show.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #1869
Major LCF Poster!

LC yummies is right, Blue. I ate way too much this weekend. Didn't track. Didn't intend it that way, but DH said let's go out for lunch yesterday - we had a gift card to a mongolian grill - and there was no way I was going to track that. So I blew yesterday and then blew today also. Low carb but too much. Still holding at 205 today, one pound up from my low. But don't wanna see what tomorrow says. How great you met a fellow LCer when trying on pants! And the pants may very well be too big by April at the rate you are going!

Congrats on another pound down Trigger! Can't wait to see your stats when you update. Sorry about the ride, but better to wait for good weather. It is a near blizzard here right now and DS's school got cancelled again for tomorrow. Very lucky MIL lives across the street and can watch him, I have so much to do at work.

Off to pay some bills...have a lovely evening ladies!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #1870
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
LC yummies is right, Blue. I ate way too much this weekend. Didn't track. Didn't intend it that way, but DH said let's go out for lunch yesterday - we had a gift card to a mongolian grill - and there was no way I was going to track that. So I blew yesterday and then blew today also. Low carb but too much. Still holding at 205 today, one pound up from my low. But don't wanna see what tomorrow says.
Misti---IMO, it's ok to take a pass from the tracker now and then. It's supposed to help not hurt, right? Just because we can't make our goals every single freaking day, doesn't erase all the times we did make our goals.

For me, this tracker is an easy device, but must be taken w/a grain of salt and understood that it recognizes no particular woe, and that it calculates what our losses will be based on any standard calculator you can find on the web, based on a one size fits all model. And we know how accurate that is, or in this case, isn't.

And as for the Mongolian Grill, or any Asian food eaten out, it's really hard to say exactly what we ate. Asian food seems the hardest to track anywhere near correctly, and I LOVE IT too. It's only a matter of time till I check in telling of my efforts to do my best at LC at an Asian restaurant.

Seems to me, every one of us here is trying their best to put in a good day, but hey, some days will be better than others. But if most of our days are better, we're going to do just fine in the end.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #1871
Major LCF Poster!

Mongolian Grill. yikes. I sure couldn't track that either. no way what did you have? I bet that was some yummy food.

Blue is right. no way we are going to do this perfect each day. I sure am news of that! I am finally rebounding from the holidays and it took a long time. at least you are still heading straight into the 100s. WOOT!

Just think guys. WE ALL WILL BE IN THE 100s ON THIS THREAD. we weren't but we will be! isn't that wild? We stuck to it. learned. worked our plans even though we had our non-perfect days and 100s FOR ALL OF US.

so cool. WE ARE doing this guys!

Blizzard! Yuck. I hope nothing comes this way. saw on the news we 'might' get some snow but it is iffy right now. hope it skirts away from us big time. when I see snow I darn near faint HAHA I am not a snow gal anymore. I am a hot gal lol

gotta hit the store and buy a few flannel shirts. I have 1x and 2x. flannels just to wear over t-shirts for working at the barn etc. they are way too big. I threw out the 2x shirts and keeping the 1x til I can hit the store and buy some larges.

large! OH MY. I believe I am finally out of the 1x category. took a long time but I got there

last night I got wild hungry. oh yea. the hunger came back! controlled myself which was good but hard.

today will be careful but eat more lc. be sure I don't get out of control hungry.
I think my easy cruise days are over right now lol

hang in there everyone! We are so good right now. We are all advancing slowly toward our goals. I love this thread to keep us on track!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #1872
Major LCF Poster!

You're right, gals. I shouldn't be too hard on myself. Though I did not weigh this morning (I was running late anyway so it was a good excuse). Back on track today, though I have to decide what to make for supper, I have plenty of good choices at home.

Yea for being out of plus sizes Trigger! It scares me a bit really. Almost seems like there are too many choices out of plus sizes. But I still have a while to go before I need new clothes.

The Mongolian grill is good, I had beef, pork and veggies. I tried to top with the sauces that didn't mention a sweetener, but it is hard to say what I added. I did put on garlic oil, sesame oil, and ginger as well. I don't think I did too bad there, and only had one plate. But I ate quite a bit of my new LC Lily's chocolate this weekend. It was good. But I will be better during the week.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #1873
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I love the idea that we will all be in our hundreds, and that we all got there together. Yes, we are doing this! And bye bye to the X's too! Sounds like you're way past even a 1X. You might be surprised that you don't even need an XL anymore in many shirts and tops. I can't say enough how much our little corner here keeps me on track, and it's fun. And I can see a time when we'll need each other just as much to maintain. Being here w/you guys is a good part of what keeps me conscious of what I'm eating, and remembering why every single day.

Misti---Right-O on not being too hard on yourself because you enjoyed a night at the Mongolian Grill. That place is gooooood tasting stuff. I love all the spices and sauces. You did your best to stay on plan, and that will be just fine, as long as you're not camping out there.

On the "fear" of having too many choices when you get out of the Xs, yeah, I can understand that. There's so many clothes out there. But you know, we all have what we like as a "look" and that cuts out a lot of it that isn't what we'd buy in any size. But I'm telling you girl, you're going to LOVE being able to buy how you want to look, instead of what you have to wear. Placing bets your going to get over that fear real quick.

Well, I can hardly believe it, but down to 183 on the freaking nose this AM. Don't expect to hold on to it for awhile, but there it was, new number, and bold and plain as punch.

I have not seen this pace of weight loss since last fall. I attribute it to the holidays being past, and also to the tracker, which has made me more aware of what I'm eating, and led to decisions that have been easy to make and maintain for now. I'm the queen of being irritable and vulnerable when I'm feeling deprived of good and enough food. Not feeling that.

Got into an interesting conversation in the ML, on the role of calories in this, and really, the whole enchilada that I consider tweaking one's way to that sweet spot of still losing and being satisfied. I sure don't think it's all about calories, and I don't believe calories are all the same. But I do think they matter at a point. The good news is, as I said in an earlier post, I'm happy on this woe, even nipping it a bit here and there.

And, at least according to Dr. Eades, once at goal, most can add those calories back in, as long as they're not in carbs.

Had the day off today for all practical purposes, and after my very active around the house day yesterday, I spent a lot of today reading various things on Low carb around the internet. My appetite for more knowledge is as big as
my appetite for carbs used to be!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #1874
Major LCF Poster!

YUMMO Misti. I would have enjoyed that meal. I love 'other tastes' than just a steak and garlic butter. I definitely use sauces but sparingly cause like you, most I know are loaded with sugar. but boy a different taste is always a treat!

I'm in a mood
supposed to snow around 5 MAYBE. I think the entire state has ALREADY SHUT DOWN, people going freaky. I tell ya if it is winter the southern folks go wonky.

So my microwave blew up this morning. bought 2 pairs of boots for kiddo yesterday and they don't fit. Gotta take those back, glad the micro blew before I left (nuking doggie's chicken lol) so at least it was only 1 trip.

So it doesn't take a ROCKET scientist to figure out that if snow is forecasted OR EVEN a possible .05% chance, school takes some type of stupid action. they are out 2 hrs. early! No snow....just maybe, maybe around 5 it might start.

So I know when I hear a forecast like that I need to be around home for the stupid school stuff. DUH

I get in from the store and hubby calls. yea I know about school. it is on the recorder when I got home from the store. all good here. love ya bye.

outside I go to get critters done.

My mom calls, I think your county might be getting out early. our school is, the news said so. check yours. ok call later.

mother in law calls 4 freaking times!!!!!! 4. it goes like this---are you there? Karen, are you there. Karrreeeeennnnnn, are you home? hang up. another call, Karrrreeeennnnnn are you at home? well, school is out 2 hrs early. Are you home? hang up. another call, Hey this is Rachel. I think I will drive over your house and be sure nicole gets into the house since you aren't there. Karrreeeen are you home? hang up. another call. OK, I will drive over in a bit to meet her in the driveway in case you didn't know school was early dismissal. Karrreeennnn are you home yet? You in there? ok, will pop over just in case.-----------geez louise I gotta say I called back and yelled. freaking annoying. HAHA. Out feeding goats, breaking ice on buckets, getting hay etc. and I am freaking busy OK---OK. YES I AM HOME. YES I KNOW. YES I CAN TAKE CARE OF MY KID. YES I AM OUTSIDE DOING A MILLION FARM THINGS AND everyone is calling in between me being outside. I CAN'T GET ALL THIS DONE AND talk you idiots off the roof also

MIL just pushes it. ya know. we are good friends, never had a bad word, get along great----but boy she hit me wild on this time. lol all will be good but my god, give a person a break.

see MIL is the type that HELPS YOU EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT IT OR NEED IT. and pushes it over and over and over again. to the point you just wanna hit her. she is being kind, but that overbearing on your nerves kind.

I say kiddo needs no clothes. loaded. she brings 5 shirts 2 sizes too big (good sale for the future to grow into), 5 pairs shoes 3 sizes too big (good for future, great price), hits yard sales brings me .50 items that are stained. great deal. this isn't for now so it is ok. like 3 years later. Brings me BOY clothes nicole won't touch. she thinks grandma thinks she a boy. UH, I don't want ANY THING ELSE IN THE STUPID HOUSE, ok. does she get it. NO!

I bite my tongue on all of it of course. she is doing good but today she set me off.
MIL is a hoarder type. I don't want all this useless stuff in my home. I am a minimalist type LOL we sure clash on that one.

whew, can ya tell I am frazzled today.

gotta go eat. starved and no food yet today.

I got that 'feeling'. all anxious like. like everyone is on top of me and getting in my way. I rarely get that feeling, but with menapause junk it pops up whenever it wants lately. Like a zillion things to do, everyone gets in my way for no good reason, take up my time I have so little of, and it just sets me into a mood.

can I just be left alone? please. maybe. for 5 stinking minutes LOL

whew that felt good. scream it out.

all good tho of course. just some days it gets tiring. you guys know how it is. I know you do!!!!

ok--back to scheduled low carb chat now.

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-28-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #1875
Major LCF Poster!

Trig, dear---

OMG, you've got me giggling. Had to read this twice, because the laughs feel so good. Love to laugh. "Kareeeeeeeeen..."

Not to diminish how irritating it sounds, but still can't help the laughing. I guess part of what makes it funny is that yeah, we all have days like this---when you want to smack nice old ladies, like you MIL, lol. She does sound irritating though. Love the part about how she buys the kiddo boy stuff she can wear in three years. Sorry, can't help it. She's a hoarder, your a minimalist. It's like sit com material.

Glad you came and shared, and did a little ranting, cause girl, you made my day.

Seriously though,I feel for you. Those MIL antics would make me crazy now and then too, and then she's so "well meaning" you feel like a schnook when you want to smack her. Well, tonight just has to be better! Eat nice clean low carb, you'll feel better. God, I hope she doesn't call you again or I'm envisioning Trigger face down in carbs.

Misti---Just got a new cookbook I'm excited about. "Nom Nom Paleo. Food for humans." Perhaps you have it or have been to the site. But if not, check it out on Amazon. Peek inside and read the recipes. Yum Yum.

Made a recipe for lunch from it, easy and so good. Sautee up some chopped onions, mushrooms and Italian hot sausage. Add the marinara of your choice, and stir to a simmer. Pour into a ramiken, cover w/shredded cheese then make small indent w/ big spoon, and crack an egg in it. Put in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes, or till the egg is done to your preference. Comes to about 14 grams of carbs for 2 ramikens.

Lots of the recipes are like this, easy on hand whole ingredients, and not a ton of them. Speaks to me totally, looking forward to trying more of them.

Man, so darn cold here. Happy to be working from home most of this week. Had the yummy lunch above, and having a cheeseburger for dinner. Held on to my 183.0 this AM.

I'm in that sweet zone right now, loving my food, coming in good enough on the tracker. Love it when it feels like this.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #1876
Major LCF Poster!

You had me cracking up with your reply. a million faces.

Yes I do feel like a smuck cause she is so darn nice and done great things for us.....and girl, I wish you could hear the voice she has. cut thru ya like a knife that was so sharp you could cut an oak down with it. KAAARRReeennn, YOO WHOOO......OMG!

well I am fine now.

even planned my nice exit out of this. Sorry MIL, was I harsh? you hit me wrong. you got nailed this time. (and I never was mean to her in over 18 years). All will be good lol. She got this gal on a bad day! I feel like an idiot for writing all that too

HEY you got a GOOD cookbook. never thought check paleo. my low carb bible was a bust. for 'higher low carbers' and that isn't me at all.
gonna check it out for sure.

MIL and my mood hasn't given me carb diving capability. all good there. for some reason my mind is on change. You know I chatted--let's move to the beach----NOW I CAN'T wait to get that horse to make a change. Need it badly. I think the snow forecast made me think 'another delay in checking out sunshine' and the ride I need to know she is the horse for me. ugh. probably that is building up also.

ok everyone, back off HAHA

GOOD for you holding that 183 and the sweet zone is a wonderful place to be!! You doing so well girl!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #1877
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---don't feel bad about writing all that. Good to get it out. And you are one funny gal when you're mad. Honestly haven't read as good of a rant as that in a long time! Your MIL knows she's got a good daughter in law. She'll get over it.

Good that this episode didn't make you feel like carbin' out. Love this---"my mind is on change." That's what it feels like from here, like you've turned that corner that's going to get you where you want to be!

DO check out that cook book w/that handy "look inside" feature on Amazon. Go to the Table of contents and you can see some of the recipes, although not all of course. I mentioned it to Misty because I know she loves to cook, but even for me whose not that much of a cook, this looks so doable and interesting.

Speaking of cooking, tonight I'm making Linda Sue's White Castle Hamburger Pie, which is even on my tracker! SO easy, Just popped it in the oven. If it's as good as her Sweet Onion Pie, YUM. It's going to push me over on my calories today, but I'll be nice and low on my carbs, just under 25 today. Will trade off calories for good LC food now and then.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #1878
Major LCF Poster!

LOL, poppin in here today like a ping ball ball. Just had the pie. Blech. Waaaaaay too salty. I think this is my fault, not Linda Sue's, as I made my own "onion soup mix" w/ a recipe off the internet that uses beef bouillon. Did this to save a few carbs, should have followed her recipe for less carb soup mix.

Still, I've used Lipton onion soup mix before, and it has a much more oniony great taste than what I made. Won't do it this way again, if I do it again. Will just bite the extra carbs for better flavor. LEARNING.

Boy, I know I'm going to pay for this tomorrow with a big bloat up on the scale. Drinking lots of water. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #1879
Major LCF Poster!

I use Morton's Lite Salt. have for over 5-6 years now and if I use regular table salt I bloat big time.

So I took the girls out to pizza buffet last night. It started snowing around 4. we got 1 (maybe 1.5) inches. WHOOP. entire state is in a panic HA

ate pizza toppings, buffalo wings and salad. But I did not bring my salt! Oh yes this gal travels with a baggie of Mortons Lite Salt. I am a salt freak. So I have a baggie of salt with me at all times in my purse. Looks like I am sprinkling my food with cocaine or something.

but I forgot it. So I used table salt last night. OH the bloat is here! which is fine. it will leave. no scale for a day or 2 til I flush this out.

Hey Blue at least you are experimenting. that way you can find great subs to have good meals....but of course we got to go thru some 'bleck' ones to find the good ones.

me and you. bloat city today. few days we will be good.

8 and kiddo woke me up to go outside. I sure coulda slept in this morning. no school of course. had to let her cause we don't get snow here often and if it warms up it will be gone by 1-2 today. Yippee.

easy day here. just gonna piddle around the house. dry out alot of gloves and boots today and relax in between.

not hungry mood so far which is nice. should be good lc day.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #1880
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Lord Trigger, have you seen what's going on in Atlanta due to what we here in Minnesota would consider something under a dusting of snow?! Terrible. I think you guys dodged a bullet where you are. At least up here we know how to deal w/this stuff, because it's not rare.

And yeah, you have to get through some blech! experiences to get to good LC recipes. For instance, hubby and I tried several LC bread recipes, and the best was just OK, and a lot of work and ingredients. Which is why I'm interested in the Great Low Carb Bread Company, and am taking a chance on them w/an order. The cost is far from ideal but then of course, the market isn't w/us on the LC thing. And until it is, we'll have to pay more for our "subs." I have my very reasonably priced TJ's low carb bread, but still looking for more variety. Me---always looking for a tastier low carb experience.

I will say again, that I think I screwed up on Linda Sue's recipe. Used beef bullion to make my own "onion soup" mix, not an idea that came from her, and bullion is just too salty for this recipe. Going to try this recipe again, w/what I've learned, and w/good old Lipton soup onion mix.

Work has been very low key, w/lots of days working from home for me. Have LOVED this. Makes it so much easier to make good decisions on the woe. But it's going to change real soon, like next week, when I will be on site most of the time, and eating the best I can from what I can order along w/everyone else.

But not there quite yet, and made myself a fantastic salad for lunch. Might not be the best cook, but I'm darn good at salads, at least to my taste. Not sure about dinner, but these days I'm prepared w/the ingredients I need to make several different LC things that appeal to me. And easily. Love that.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #1881
Major LCF Poster!

yea just say snow down here and you cause a panic. lol I was from the north so 3-4-5 ft of snow is nothing to me. but here? I never saw such madness

Did that order come yet? Great bread company? wondering about your review on all that stuff. I also tried some 'bread' recipes. OMG! yuck with a double KKKK...ick.

Well the pizza buffet with the REAL salt got me good. Up 3 lbs. Yup. not worried. I will flush today. clean lc eating yesterday and will do so today. What gets me is the delay in the scale when that bloat hits ya. miserable. everything I drank yesterday stuck somewhere in my body HAHA

Snow all but gone thank goodness. THEY ARE OUT of school today. Roads are FINE yet this place is crazy.

easy day today. not much. usual chores and will probably hit the road and get a few things with my coupons. love coupon clipping but there is so many that I don't buy any more it is almost not worth it. I changed how I shop and killed my coupons. oh well.

Misti must be super busy! She needs a check in!!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #1882
Major LCF Poster!

You guys have been busy! I think this cold is getting to me, making me want to eat even when I'm not hungry. I'm up 2-3 lbs. from my low right now. Sorry you are up too, Trigger, but glad I'm not alone. Just got back to tracking today. If I don't eat anything after supper tonight I will have done well today. Having a Chipotle salad for lunch and crack slaw for supper. Sounds like the White Castle hamburger pie did not turn out, Blue? That's too bad. I usually try not to sub the first time I make a recipe but sometimes it's impossible. I have tried only the Stuffing Pie and Coney Island Chili Dog pie and they were both good. I should try a new one soon.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #1883
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---Keep drinking that water and the bloat will be gone in a day or two w/clean LC eating. I didn't bloat up to bad after that way to salty hamburger pie, only about a pound, half of that gone this AM. But boy, have I been drinking the water. LOL, I could see the salt explosion in my body w/in an hour after eating the pie. Couldn't twist my wedding ring easily.

And yay, my Great Low Carb Bread order came today! Going to have an onion pocket---which looks like an onion dinner roll---split and toasted w/garlic butter w/hubby's Mexican Meatball soup and a steamed artichoke w/butter and mayo. Will check in later w/a review of it.

Misiti---This cold makes me hungry too, particularly for something warm and hearty, which tonight's dinner will be. I've been tracking with some over calorie days lately here and there. Carbs have been good though. And calories would have been worse w/out the tracker. I'd say I make a couple of good decisions a day using it, even if it doesn't come out at goal in the end when it comes to calories, but still my second concern. Aiming for lower calories has resulted in eating less, but not going to get obsessive about it. Besides, cycling amounts of calories a bit doesn't hurt, imo.

Yeah, I should have just used the Lipton soup from the recipe, but didn't have any and this net recipe was less carbs. I've often mixed Lipton's to make a patty and the oniony flavor w/the Lipton's is great. So I'm going to try it again, as Linda Sue has rarely disappointed me either.

Wow, lots of totally unexpected time off this week, major client going under big changes, and a bit of a lull as they figure out how to execute the changes.
So, I've basically been working out of my home all week, and not more than a half day. Such a nice lull in the action for me. Won't last long, but I'm enjoying it, particularly in this cold, snowy time. Enjoying making my own foods as opposed to having to eat out at lunch. Also, our social schedule has greatly been reduced in winter's fury, and that is a relief of sorts too, although come spring, we'll look forward to more get togethers.

Gals, I had the best lunch, know I've mentioned it before but it's so darn good, going to mention it again. I buy sliced London Broil at the deli of my supermarket.Today I made two open faced sandy's, w/from bottom up, a slice of Trader Joe's 4 NC's per slice sprouted wheat, toasted and buttered, then the beef, one and a half thin slices does it for me, then cherry tomatoes (roasted w/balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and a dash of splenda, SO amazingly GOOD for winter tomatoes) then a tablespoon of Boursin cheese, (herb and garlic) slightly melted by Microwave.

OMG, SO freaking good, I felt guilty eating it. Still, it comes in at just under 500 calories (remember this is TWO open faced sandys) and 13 NCs.
Oh yeah, I'm finding my way to Low carb happiness!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #1884
Major LCF Poster!

Misti we make a good group. the 2-3 lb. UP people. eh, it will be fine. Our bodies are holding fluid etc. just one of those things. the whoosh is coming for both of us.

the cold is driving me nutso. I also am wanting heavy comfort food. It is hard not to make a monster bowl of mac n cheese and dive head first into it. with fried chicken on the side but we shall stay lc all the way!!

Can you BELIEVE there is a 3 hr delay for school tomorrow? OMG like 1 inch of snow, 2 days off and 3 hr delay and roads are perfect out there. NC is strange for sure.

Blue definitely review that bread.

I am gonna have to whack you hard girl! that TJ bread you eat. when you mention it---I am going freaking insane. I have nothing, no store, nothing in my area that offers bread in that range of nc. and you are eating 2 open faced sandwiches wtih yummy ingredients on 2 pieces of bread. OMG see I have been wanting a BLT for ages. toast. yummy toast. and I can't find a way to do it. a BLT is nothing without the toast. same with a turkey, mayo and fresh bread sandwich.

I wonder if TJ is online? hmmm. I could go check right now. I might have a loaf shipped to me....off to check lol
nope. just checked their site. no online ordering.

Blue is that bread you buy from TJs or is it another company name on the package? like one I can look up and try to buy?
just wondering. I am desperate LOL

I got on the scale a minute ago. if I eat nothing else I will easily lose the 3 lbs. in the morning and probably at least 1-1.5 more. I ate hardly anything today. flushing with water big time. kinda hungry but not. So if I am super careful on what little I eat while watching tv, I think I can get way ahead in the morning scale.

I need it. cause I have to keep going down. my shorts season comes soon down here. I want some lbs. gone for good by then.

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-30-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #1885
Major LCF Poster!

So tonight I tried the GLCBC "onion pocket" which as I said looks more like an onion bun, not to be confused w/a pita type thing.

It was GOOD. Now, it wasn't the same as a chewy real onion bun, but it was GOOD. You can tell there is a lot of fiber in it because it is just crunchier and airier than the "real thing." I think I toasted it a bit long though, so will toast less next time hoping for a bit less crunch and a bit more chew.

However, it was heaven to have a thicker bun like item to soak w/garlic butter and dip in my soup tonight. And it is just 2 NCs a bun, IOW, I could have 4 of them for the same amount of NCs as two slices of Trader Joes' 4 NC/slice sprouted wheat bread. But one was plenty for me, another good sign. They are filling.

I will try the bread and bagels in the next few days and when I've tasted all three, I'll write a review in the ML.

Trig---Yeah, I know TJ's doesn't sell on line. In fact, I don't think all of their stores sell this bread. It does carry a Trader Joe's label, but almost all national chains depend on local/regional bakeries to make their recipes, and apparently this particular Trader Joe's bread is not found even in all their stores from what I've heard. I'm doing my best to make sure they know how popular it is at my Trader Joes!

Will try the bagels and the bread in the next day or two and report back. But I think Trigger, you have AN OPTION at last!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 AM   #1886
Major LCF Poster!

I am glad you are the guinea pig Blue

those onion pockets sound good. being more fiber and dense probably would be best to toast a bit less. keep it softer. I would think they could get brick-like.

I went onto netrition and read about that great bread company.

wow, not cheap. and then shipping. be like $12-13 for one loaf of bread. hmmm
but they say they freeze well, could get a big order and hold. that way I could have some bread options.

you know I am on the fence. I know I need some options in my life. but I also am worried those carb counts on this stuff is not real in a way. also, if I let that bread back into my life, am I going to want the real thing then? hmmm

sounds stupid but I am almost scared to try it.

I also want to see how it effects your scale out of curiousity. if you can eat this and keep losing reasonably, then I know I got options here

I can't wait to hear the further reports.

3 hr delay school. get her off and do a few errands etc. nothing major.
no scale today. tomorrow. all bloat gone by then I am sure and then I can get on with getting more off, as we all want.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #1887
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I understand your fears on this. After the Julian bakery mess and the Dreamfields controversy everyone, including me, has an eyebrow cocked. But, the ingredients on these bread products look believable to what their nutrition stats are. Lots of the ingredients you put in homemade LC bread. There is wheat gluten and soy, but I'm not gluten sensitive and don't care about a little soy.

And yeah, not cheap. But I got all three w/shipping for $28. (no tax on food here) So best to order 2 or 3 at a time, which is why I went for it on my first order, betting it would be worth it, and finding what I like and don't like faster.

Also, since I've been eating Trader Joe's Low Carb bread all along and continued to lose weight, and it has not led me to jump on the real stuff, this is worth the experiment to me. Like w/the TJs bread, I don't intend to be eating this every day. 3 times a week, is average for me. If I like the bagels, it might become a bit more. So we'll see, I'll be watching for any bloat and weight gain that doesn't have another reason. So far holding at 183.4, where I've been the last couple of days.

I'm going to make the same sandy I made yesterday with the bread. and will report back as to taste and texture.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #1888
Major LCF Poster!

that is true you have been having TJ bread and it hasn't swayed you back to the real thing so that is good for me to remember.

I do feel scared in a way that I did lose my way, struggled alot, gained up and had to lose it again with hard talks to myself and from you guys , and now it seems I am almost worried to sway from the basic meat and veg. Almost scared to get out of the 15 nc range for the day.

I gave myself that inch and took many miles during the holidays. Now I am so scared of that stupid inch. I don't trust me

but as with anything it has to be a head game I am playing with myself. I did eat other options and lost weight before so slowly I will get my head around it and let some more back into my plan. after all, I have to be able to sustain it wtih certain tastes/texture and options.

Today for breakfast I sautee'd cut up chicken breast with dash of cajun seasoning, then put it under the broiler wtih broccoli and cheese added. YUM. I wasn't sure about cajun and brocc..but it was delish.

Just got back from buying a mattress for kiddo. her queen was the old guest bedroom mattress. kinda cheapy. she said the springs were killing her lol so off to get her a pillow top. not too bad on sticker shock and she will love this one. nice and soft
Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #1889
Major LCF Poster!

Back with my review on the bread. I liked the onion roll/pocket better, but this wasn't bad. However, not near as good as the TJ bread, but then not as many carbs either.

The bread has a slightly spongey texture, I've had much worse, but it was there, a bit more chewing necessary. After trying it, I can believe it's as high in fiber as they say. The taste is fine, but again, not as nutty and good as TJ's. I think this needed to be toasted a bit more than I did, opposite of the onion bun. I would not overeat this bread, and it is filling.

But overall I think I'll be pretty much sticking w/the TJ bread, and plan for the extra carbs in my daily allotment as I have been. I'd rather enjoy what I eat more rather than less. Plus TJ's is close and much cheaper.

Trigger---I really support the way you're thinking right now. I do believe there will be a time when you won't stretch that inch a mile, because losing the final weight will make it worth it not to. But you're still fresh into the new year and the cleaner woe, and I think you're thinking smart about it right now. And you're seeing results! Your breakfast sounds fantastic!

Might try the bagel tonight, or will do so tomorrow morning.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:18 PM   #1890
Major LCF Poster!

I was a bit hungry and we're going to the neighbors for BWW tonight, but we won't be eating till around 7:30, so I decided to try a half of a GLCBC bagel.

I liked it! I toasted with butter, and then spread some cream cheese on it w/a tbsp of SF blackberry preserves. Not as chewy as the real thing, but for 3 NCs including the jam, this was plenty good. In fact, the bagels are my fave so far, but I will toast the onion bun less next time and see what I think. I will definitely order the bagels again. They will be great for a tuna cheesy, or w/cream cheese and bacon, so many things. Happy about this...as long as I don't find they stall me.

So, BWW's for dinner in front of a nice fire. Happy Low carb day. Happy Friday night, gals.
Closed Thread