Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #1771
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
SIGH. I don't know why my last post, which I spent time on, does not show up here, but whatever, I'll try to re-create it. Good news is, it will probably be briefer and more to that point!

Trigger---- Seems you're having a very tired and overwhelmed day. And, I have some appreciation for a righteous rant!

What impresses me is that you said NO today, even though you were tired and overwhelmed. Bravo!

And here's the thing darlin', if you'd NOT said no, you'd have felt even worse. That's the thing about food, it's such TEMPORARY relief. So once we've downed it, it's OVER, and we're left with the results, which always last MUCH longer than the pleasure. That's what I think we have to remember---slimmer and healthier always lasts longer than an order of piggy sticks. (although good Lord, those do sound good

You DO NOT want to gain that weight back. You DO NOT want to push this to the point you get a diagnosis of Diabetes 2/high blood pressure. You DO NOT want to be back to wearing old lady baggy clothes, when you're not even close to being an old lady. You DO WANT piggy sticks: lol:s. (aptly named it seems) So, it helps to simplify. What do you want the most?

For me, I'm on a tear in this New Year, w/a goal to be as slim as I can be by the time I meet up w/my old pals in San Diego in early March. They'll love me no matter what, but for me, it's a convenient goal, I need those. And I think I'm pretty realistic, I'll be thrilled to the gills if I'm at or around 180 by then. Hopefully, my new commitment to tracking will make this possible.

189.0 today. Not bad, considering all the challenges of the holidays, which IMO, ended on New Year's day. But still 2 pounds higher than my lowest so far. Just gotta work on it.

I am DETERMINED. So look out, LOL.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #1772
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Happy New Year!

Welcome back Trigger. Sounds like you had a good trip. Sorry the eating has been rough. Tired is bad. I am very tired myself right now, so this will be a short post. But it sounds like you did well! Your posts in the Main Lobby have been so inspirational of late. I hope you can shake off the feeling that you are being cheated by the WOE. Yea, it sucks that we can't eat "like normal people" but I truly belive this is the healthiest way to eat - low carb and minimal sugar - but some people can get away with eating both, weight-wise. Doesn't mean it is healthly though.

Blue, you sound on track with your New Year's resolutions/plans. I thought I would track again today but I forgot work is again stressful for the next few days. Plus we went out to supper tonight and I made the sweet/spicy pecans and some new white coconut pecan fat bombs/candy. I have no problem sticking with LC, but I am still eating "too much" to lose. But I am maintaining. So I will start in earnest on Monday with tracking and eating the way I was before the holidays. I think I will allow myself one or two LC treats over the weekend, then I am going to be back to basics on Monday.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 AM   #1773
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I agree Misti. In with losing weight, there is the health issue of what I do eat and how it makes me feel. LC makes me feel good thru the day. the old carby junk really did make it feel like a big slug everyday did feel like Thanskgiving Day when ya bloat and overstuff and can't move! LC is better obviously and that feeling is a good one I should never abandon.

''Like normal people''---hmm....you got me laughing a bit on that when I saw it in your post. I wonder guys if our skew of what 'normal people eat' isn't really screwed up. Normal people really shouldn't be eating the old carb junk and processed crappola. So maybe it is time for me to think 'normal' is lc foods. 'normal' is real live foods that nature made vs. what junk others are eating now. A piece of good meat along with tons of veggies really should be normal and fried chicken with mashed taters and gravy and bread and giant sugar dessert shouldn't be the normal anymore for me. Ya got me thinking Misti thanks---maybe changing my outlook on what is normal has to happen now for me and watch the 'normal people' eating as humans being lead to an arsenic buffet LOL

You are so right Blue. the eating fix good feeling is temporary, but the effects are a few goods days of bloat and scale misery You are lucky you got that March deadline for motivation. Mine is 'just spring and bathing suits' but it seems far away that it doesn't give me a killer instinct right now. But I best find a good motivator for me.

I think tomorrow when I weight in I will write myself a goal weight chart. Like Jan. 4 commit to 8 lbs off by Feb. 4. 1 month for 8 lbs. AND MEET THAT GOAL.

Time for my mind to come out of holiday mode and maintenance mode and into LOSING mode again

Misti I was also eating just too much. Time to streamline the meals into losing meals again for me.

ok guys off to get alot of things done. BRRR cold here. Windy and cold. My thoughts are with spring right now!! And spring I want to be at goal. If I can do 8 lbs each month for Jan., Feb, March, April, May that would put me at 40 lbs gone and I would be at goal. I could be at goal come May. Hmmm....now I gotta start getting excited about goal again and make plans to get my good lc meals back in play and get this scale rocking down.

yea, more positive this morning
Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #1774
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Waiting till Monday sounds like a good plan for you. Couple more days to get over the "re-entry" stress of work, and then one last weekend of being more relaxed w/the woe. You are very good at sticking to LC foods, so even though you feel you're eating too much, your still on the wagon, in ketosis and adapted to LC. This is the perfect way to maintain imo.

I'm enjoying the tracker, but decided I have to let the % of fats vs. protein be what they are for now. I'm finding when faced w/these macro numbers, that eating as much fat as I need to equal "advised" numbers is pretty tough for me, and that was surprising. I though I was eating more fat than I ever have! I did make a list of some fat heavy foods I like to pick up at the grocery store, such as avocados and more cream for homemade sugar free egg nog, which I discovered this holiday season I LOVE, but there really aren't that many not attached to some kind of protein.

For now I'm going to concentrate on the calories and carbs. My last few days since tracking I've been under in calories for my daily goal, between 100 and 200 under, and between 30 and 35 in carbs, which I'm fine with for now.

Hey Trig, you sound good today. For me, being tired just takes it out of me in so many ways. I get gloomy and short on patience, and blue skies turn cloudy. There really is nothing like a good night of sleep.

I LOVE your plan to weigh in and commit to a plan and a goal. I live for plans and goals, LOL, otherwise it's all chaos to me. 8 pounds a month is a stiff goal though, or rather would be for me and my current pace of loss. I'm going for 4 pounds a month, which will be better than the last few months, and hoping my tracking will help. 180 by the time I leave for San Diego would be great! However, it's also true that sometimes if you set the bar high, even if you don't make it, you do better than you would have expecting less. I guess the important thing is that we REACH FOR IT, whatever we decide "IT" is, and in reaching and stretching we end up AHEAD of where we are now, and that's really all that matters.

Back to work today after pretty much 2 weeks off. To be honest, I was happy to get out of the house. Been holed up here in the cold, and also feeling the need to be productive again after so much partying and falalalalalalalaing.

Also, realizing how sedentary I've been for the last week. Today I had to hustle my bustle downtown, once parked I had to walk several blocks to get where I had to be. Soon I'll be back styling sets, and that's very physical too. I need that in my life, as I'm no natural exerciser, but give me a job to do, and I motor up just fine. So hopefully getting back to life apres holidays will help w/my weigh loss goals too.

Greek salad for lunch, not sure about dinner. Will have to consult w/my tracker, That tracker is kind of strict, and not much of a sense of humor, but it really literally is keeping me on track for now.

Down another half pound this am to 188.4. So I guess I'll let that tracker boss me around for awhile. It hasn't been painful, in fact, I'm happy to be back on a lighter, better eating path. Feel better.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #1775
Major LCF Poster!

Yea I think 8 per month is a stiff goal also now that I am thinking about it. If I stress to hit that number I know me, I will go into zombie mode I will pick 5 lbs per month cause I do know that is a truly doable number for me. It won't put me at my goal number but it will put me right there at the end heading into spring.

I gotta watch sugar right now. That is my go junk that is not good for me right now. I bought some atkins bars a few weeks ago cause they were on sale. Well, I noticed when I eat one, right after I have some 'real' chocolate. Like it jumps me right into wanting more. ugh. I ate one last night and then jumped on a big piece of hubbys giant hersey bar. I am going to put down the 'sweet' treats for a few days. get that out of my system. coming off the holidays I feel it is kinda ok to eat some sugar. duh, it is not

Not hungry this morning so gonna have a brunch of a bacon cheeseburger and for dinner tonight I am going to make some chicken wings. Make a bunch and keep in fridge for snacking also.

Sounds like you need your job to give you some physical activity. I also got lazy. the holidays puts it all out of whack. time to get moving for me also. I am going to 'uncover' my recumbant bike and get my butt on that thing for 1/2 hr. while watching a tv show it is time for me to move again also.

ok guys we can get this happening. new year, new fresh starts, new outlooks and we can do it.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #1776
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals,

Caught myself that nasty cold/flu thing going around. Feeling yucky, so laying low. Not very hungry. Did make a quick good soup today, by mixing chicken broth, cream, lemon and a dash of garlic. It really hit the spot. hubby is bringing home BWWs for dinner, so probably a few of those, but it will be a very light day for food.

A sick blue is not a chatty blue, so hope y'all are having a good day and staying warm.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #1777
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you feel better soon. the crud is out there waiting to get us all
feeling cruddy isn't good! our weather for tomorrow and monday stinks. icy, snowy, icky and COLD. ah, can ya tell I live in the South? NOPE! but after those 2 days we improve. Stay WARM and relax away the weekend! you might get to feeling better fast if you do lay low. rest is best!

Misti where are ya gal? Wondering how it is going for ya.

I did ok on eats today. hubbys b-day. rubs it in he is 48 and I am 52. the rat
did eat a very small piece of his cake. good, not too sweet which was nice. had some chicken wings. that was it today. food not screaming at me so I will just not eat much of it!

laying low also. tired and cold. gotta go find me a warm blanket and hit the hay for tonight! take care of yourself!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #1778
Major LCF Poster!

Hope your feeling better Blue!

Hope all is good with you Misti. Busy gal

I am bloated. I AM NOT drinking enough water at all. my chicken wings I loaded down with salt. wanted salt so bad. but I didn't drink good water.

ok...note to self....water water water water and more water

all good. gotta do a small bit of shopping. just rain out there so no ice or anything yet.
gonna eat a nice salad out there for lunch somewhere.

take care all.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #1779
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals,

I'm still here. For some reason it too me 5 hours to go to three stores yesterday (Costco, Walmart and supermarket). They were all mobbed. I was too wiped out after that to post. I think everyone is gearing up for our bit of cold weather that is coming. Today it is a balmy 8 degrees outside, it was supposed to be a high of 0 (Farenheit!) today so they must have miscalculated. Tomorrow the actual high is supposed to be -14. Might be colder where Blue is. I will be wearning silk long underwear that I got for my bday under my clothes tomorrow.

For some reason I have gained a pound each day this weekend. And I haven't even been indulging in any LC treats like I planned, either! So the scale said 213 this morning. Very unhappy with that, but I am going with the bloat theory as well. Did have a Wendy's Baconator for the first time yesterday (not really worth it IMHO - I like my Culver's Double Bacon Deluxe better) and a lot of buffalo wings for supper. So maybe it is the salt. Also, TOM might be coming. Who knows when, as it appears I skipped a month. I think I am in perimenopause (just turned 44).

Happy belated bday to your husband, Trigger! My DH just turned 49, so he is 5 years older than me.

Rest up Blue, hope you feel better soon.

Will start tracking again in the morning. If the scale doesn't cooperate by next weekend, and at least get off a few pounds of bloat, I might try a fat fast next (I got the recipe book for Christmas).
Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #1780
Major LCF Poster!

Late Sunday afternoon here and SO FREAKING COLD, even colder tomorrow. Schools have been closed due to a forecast of -20 tomorrow, and that's w/out the wind chill---where is the icon whose teeth are chattering right out of its head, LOL.

Trigger---You sound VERY good these days in terms of your commitment. Maybe a little sneak here and there but a real difference between now and a couple of months ago. And yeah, the salt is a bloater, even when it's Low Carb foods.

And yeah, the answer is WATER, WATER and more WATER. Who knew downing 8 glasses of water in 16 waking hours could be so hard?!?!?! But a pal once told me "You just have to stand at the sink sometimes and get her done!"

Misti---Wow, yeah, the grocery store was packed today, and so many empty places on the shelves! Never seen it like that. Everyone gearing up for the arctic blast tomorrow.

I would put bets on the salt factor being the cause of the up in pounds, just like Trigger. One doesn't gain 3 "real" pounds in a couple of days unless maybe one is eating about 4,000 calories a day, and spending those days in bed without moving anything, LOL.

Wings can be a culprit too. Don't know about the buffalo wings but my beloved salt and vinegar wings from BWW have a TON of salt, no big surprise since it's in the name of the wings, and thankfully I always get half lemmon pepper wings too.

In fact, that's what I had last night for dinner. Thought I'd only have a few as I wasn't feeling good, but ended up having 8. BUT I drank water all day long yesterday, as I know liquids, flushing the system, is one of the best thing you can do for a cold.

And the result was...187.6 this AM! Although I've seen 187, my lowest yet, several times, haven't seen it in weeks. So I feel like I'm finally on my way to losing the holiday bloat.

Feel better today, I swear that chicken broth, (also salty, so drinking a lot of water again today) w/cream and lemon juice is a very good thing for a cold. Had it for lunch again today. Tonight is a salad w/chicken, roasted slivered almonds, blue cheese, and reduced sugar craisens.

My tracker tells me I'll come in about 200 under my calorie goal and at about
30 for my carbs. I think the tracker is really helping me make better decisions, and you know, I'm not missing eating more!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #1781
Major LCF Poster!

ok guys I will be getting onto that tracker today cause it seems to be a good new focus for you!!! I will jump into it and hope it gets me into a more motivated area now

Misti, take heed, I think it is sodium also. Right now I can't seem to lose 1/2 lb at all.
I am truly bloated up. I can also feel it ya know. I am thinking 2 days of meat and eggs starting today and then hit water like there is no tomorrow.

maybe a bit of discipline over the next 2 days will help me get into the right direction again. ugh. it is always something isn't it.

5 hrs of shopping would wear anyone thin

Blue glad you are feeling better. The sick weight loss thing is good even though we gotta be sick to do it LOL flushing out the body is smart. helps in so many ways!

ok, for me 2 days of meat and eggs.
gonna hit the kitchen in a bit and have 2 scrambled and some bacon.
lunch will be a cheeseburger and bacon bits.
dinner is planned as smoked brisket and maybe 2 scrambled.

pushing tons of water today.

also I gotta get the rv unpacked more cause I thought we were taking it in today, but hubby told me tomorrow so I got time. I want time to 'uncover' my stationary bike. I need to get moving a bit. So I will get that done today. 1/2 hr watching tv on the bike might help me

feel laggy in getting into full gear for losing. I swear the super cold weather is just ticking me off and slowing me down but I will push thru it.

winter is a great time for losing weight! Lets rock it gals!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #1782
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger, I'm glad you're getting on the tracker w/Misti and me. (Be aware, you'll probably want to customize your goals and not accept this tracker's idea of your macros.) AND, I think this should NOT be a scold to us. I think it should be an objective observer telling us what we're REALLY eating---then we can make decisions accordingly.

I like to fill in my tracker in the morning according to what I hope to eat for the day, at least on the days I can plan it, which I try to do more and more. And in doing so, I can see the CHOICES I have for the day. Cut out this or that, and I'm in at my goals. Or not, but my choice, fair and square.

As for me, saw a NEW LOWER NUMBER this AM, for the first time in close to 2 months. 186.6. I know it won't stick, but I also know it's the beginning of more loss, AND again, I give due credit to tracking, and the decisions I've made accordingly.

IF the result of tracking left me hungry and miserable and feeling deprived, it would not be a good thing, and most importantly, not something I could maintain. I'm very conscious of not tweaking and pinching myself into deprivation and frustration, otherwise known as a "diet." NOT dieting. Ever again.

But I think tracking again, and on a real tracker instead of doing it myself, is showing me what my CHOICES are in terms of carbs, fats and calories. And if I can't make my goals every day? Meh, what else is knew? But seeing it in black and white, is so empowering I think, when it comes to the choices we make.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #1783
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on the drop Blue! How awesome to see a new low. It is forever since it happened to me, can't wait to get back there.

I am still bloated up to 213. I am giving myself one week of strict on track eating and if the scale doesn't move or moves in the wrong direction I will do the fat fast. For some reason that sounds more appealing to me than m & e. Hope the m & e goes well for you Trigger.

I like your idea of pre-tracking Blue. I actually entered today's food yesterday (though I had to change the lunch I entered when I couldn't find hte Atkins Swedish meatballs in the freezer!) and I already have tomorrow's food entered. In fact, I ate less today than I was planning (didn't eat the 100 cal pack of almonds I had alloted). I am a bit hungry right now, as I have been munching at night, but nothing outrageous. And I have already finished my entry for today so I'm not eating anything else. I think the tracking will, well, keep me on track! LOL. I agree with you that it is about choices. The tracking keeps me accountable and my experiment with not tracking wasn't successful!

I placed a huge Netrition order the other day, so that should arrive this week. I got a couple treats, but will make sure to measure and include them in my tracking when I try them.

Still very cold here. School is cancelled again for tomorrow, so DS will go to grandma's house.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #1784
Major LCF Poster!

hey guys I blew yesterday big time

my head (as much as I am trying) wasn't in the game yesterday.

did my eggs and meat thru brunch with no problem. then hubby and kiddo brought home a bunch of chinese takeout. MAN I ate 'a little' but it was enough to bloat me again.

honestly. HELP! LOL I am hitting the road today with hubby which normally would be eating out. NOPE. Gonna feed him good before leaving and no eating lunch out.

I gotta get that level of control again I used to have. I think the stupid holiday did a bit more damage to me about being 'too darn slack'.

OK---at least I know I got a problem. I can control it and fix it also.

Misti, what is the fat fast again? that is an Atkins thing right? give me a reminder on it and you also stay on it longer right? My kiddo has a 2 hr delay this morning. WOW on your DS having off. easier to deal with the delay and ship them to school still HAHA

well off to get things done and I will strive for a solid good day of lc eating! boy I gotta get on track.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #1785
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Hi all..

I was wondering if I could join in to help myself be accountable and to also help others who may need it

I am a past member who lost 94 pds on very low carb...Sadly I have let life, stress and just my :I dont care" attitide get in the way and have gained about 65 back...sigh...I swore I would never let that happen after working so hard to lose it...

I look at pics from then and now and cannot stand the way I look and feel

I am going to be a 1st time gma this summer and must get myself back into a healthy, happy lifestyle

IMy plan is very low carb, as I dont like most veggies so I have a hard time hitting 20 carbs..I eat mostly meat, eggs and cheese..I also must keep my calories low to lose..I know this plan works for me...I have thyroid issues, metabolism problems and am in menopause, so this woe is what my body demands

I am hoping to make some new friends and get and offer support

Happy to be here and be back...Stacy
Survive menopause, insomnia, migraines and hypothyroidism with a smile.....sigh
Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #1786
Major LCF Poster!

Stacy! We would love for you to join our little group! I'm at work now so not too much time to post, but I'll come back and add more later.

Trigger, sorry you are struggling. The fat fast is 3-5 days (though I wouldn't go over 3 personally) with 1000 cal/day and ideally 90% of calories from fat. The book has a number of ideas for foods and recipes for those days.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #1787
Major LCF Poster!

Stacy! We'd love to have you join us. I can identify with your post, as I have lost this same fifty pounds I'm working on, twice before. I keep telling myself the third time is the charm. And you know, I think it is.

This little group here has helped me more than I can say. Great gals and checking in here every day has made a big difference in my commitment to this woe. So do join us, this is a cozy little spot.

Misti---yep, "dropping the almonds" is the exact kind of thing I've been doing since I started tracking again. I have been eating less. I've experienced a TINY bit more REAL hunger, but nothing big or uncomfortable. For me, it is easier to deal w/a spot of real hunger till my next meal, than it is to deal w/MIND HUNGER. Mind hunger is the worst, dreams of chewy bread and cheesy potatoes, LOL.

Trigger---Your hubby and the kiddo LOVE that Chinese buffet! I loved it too, when I was eating SAD. It's hard when the rest of your family can eat what ever they want and do, and bring it home, and commandeer the choice of restaurants.

Hard for us to justify making everyone else go our way. But it seems this is a challenge you meet up w/often. There must be a way to make it better for you, right? Like if they're going to bring home Chinese buffet, maybe they could call you and you could order the LC stuff for you? But something to think about. I think there's a way.

So I held on to my 186.6 today, and the scale even did one of those flash sightings of 185.

I have been really good on my water, new tracker allows me to record the amt of glasses per day, and I love pressing that arrow that says I just finished another glass, LOL---such immediate gratification!

Happy about dinner tonight. It has always been known in my family, that I married my husband for his spaghetti sauce. Hubby loves that family saying, and has missed me not being able to eat it, because, pasta. I miss it too.

So I was talking to a LC friend about this the other day, and she said, get some Italian sausages, roast up a half a small onion w/them, add a moderate amt of sauce, sprinkle w/parmesan. VOILA! Having hubby's sauce tonight.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #1788
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Misti. WOW 90% from fat. that is very interesting. I will go off and find info on it and read up.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #1789
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you Blue. You can still enjoy the taste of his sauce

I never 'gave' up spaghetti sauce on things like meatballs. I would just use a touch. A touch of sauce was all the taste I would need to make me firmly be happy with 'eating italian'.

I will work thru it. Hubby usually doesn't bring home food. That was a rare one. Most times I just tell them to go by themselves to restuarants if I think I can't be trusted that day or if I can't get my kind of food. That chinese hit me super tired, didn't want to cook and saying 'what the heck' which is never a good thing.

and chinese gave tummy troubles this morning WHICH in a way I am happy for

I have eaten light, clean lc today. not hungry. So I feel that if I can get in the zone quickly I can get back to my lc ways. I think I am heading toward good things now.

tomorrow am will be bacon and alot of it. bacon controls me greatly and I know, even if not hungry, I am frying up a bunch to have it when needed. I won't get caught without lc food I know will help me. tons of bacon will be around for me tomorrow!!!

Good thing is longer and longer eating lc I 'seem' to be able to come back quicker when I feel a stray happening. I just have to be conscious to be sure I come back
Old 01-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #1790
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Thanks Misti. WOW 90% from fat. that is very interesting. I will go off and find info on it and read up.
I agree on the WOW. I struggle to meet the fat goals on my tracker as it is, and rarely succeed. But, like I said a couple posts up, it's all about calories and carbs for me right now. That's all I can take on.

And I find it a true conundrum as to how to keep your fat that high, and your calories reasonable. Maybe when you eat mostly fat, you don't worry about the calories?

I struggle w/eating 90% fat, because other than eating avocados galore for a couple of days, I can't think of too many things that would satisfy this goal, although I do need to read what Atkins suggests.

But my experience is that I DO add fats wherever I can, w/salad dressings, BPC, egg nog, and fattier cuts of meat, chicken w/skin, etc.. And still, I can rarely do better than 50/50 on fats vs. protein.

I guess, for me, I'm going to go with continuing to keep my carbs at 25 to 35 a day, and keep an eye on my total calorie amt for the day. Something about a fat fast that feels like a diet to me, no matter the duration, which I instinctively reject at this point.

But like any red blooded woman, I could change my mind tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #1791
Major LCF Poster!

Blue, I think counting carbs and calories have always worked for you. Why fix what isn't broken? You have been doing very well lately, so just keep at it! I feel I am doing pretty well this week (though it is only Tuesday). Less hungry tonight than last night and I am meeting my carb/calorie/protein goals. I did drop about 0.8 lbs. today, so if I am heading in the right direction by Saturday I am not going to mess with it (i.e., fat fast). Hopefully getting back to basics is all I needed.

Stacy, it's great to have someone who had previous success here! You know what you need to do, and you sound ready and determined.

Trigger, your most recent post sounds like you are in a much better frame of mind. It really is so much easier on me that DH eats this way too. And we try to get DS to eat "lower" carb, though I still buy him plenty of stuff we don't eat. But if both DH and DS were eating junk, ugh. We went to a Chinese buffet a week or so ago becuase DS begged to, maybe my bloat is from that! Really, it could be. Chinese is pretty much the worst for low carbing unless you are able to special order.

Tracker has been input for tomorrow already, just need to eat what I have planned.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #1792
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with Misti. Blue don't change anything unless needed. You are succeeding greatly in changing your eating habits, working in the foods you love to eat long term and working this low carb well. You stay your course.

Misti and I are more the experimenters Seems we like to throw in a few days of meat/eggs or the Fat Fast. Since the beginning of plan, I experiemented with extra ways to drop some weight LOL just something I do.

ate clean yesterday and feel good. not hitting the scale for a few days. I want the tons of water to get thru my system and do its work. I put away the diet soda. Kinda been drinking those more and more and I do notice a difference. water is key for me.

Misti, yea ANY chinese is deadly with sodium. I can eat just a touch of it and bloat up big time. I retain for days from it.

ok all, time for this girl to get smoking into lc ways again.

bacon will be frying in a bit. I have a beef brisket to munch on if needed (yum) and dinner tonight is a cheeseburger with bacon bits.

I built a big room onto the back of my home about 5 years ago. I gave it to kiddo for her play room. Well hubby and I are taking a piece back Grabbing the corner of the room and dragging out our Total Gym that has been sitting in the closet for a good number of years now. (lets see how long this lasts? HAHA) but we are gonna give it a good try and see if we can exercise a bit to help. hubby has no weight problem but exercise sure isn't going to hurt him!

off to get things done and lc/water all the way baby for me today!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #1793
Major LCF Poster!

Hello. Another successful day down (as long as I don't eat anything else, LOL). Only 20 g total carbs today, 17 net, and within my calorie limit. A bit high on protein but no biggie. Sodium a bit high so I hope it doesn't lead to bloat tomorrow. I am down again today, to 210.8, from 213 a couple days ago so I am moving in the right direction.

Good for you for making room for exercise equipment, Trigger. We have a treadmill and an elliptical but they are in an unfinished room and there's no lights in there. Good thing I don't want to exercise too badly right now. Actualy I said to DH last night that we should get a rowing machine when I saw it on the Biggest Loser. He said we might as well join a gym. I don't think that will happen any time soon, but maybe when DS is a bit older and would be interested in going as well.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #1794
Major LCF Poster!

First of all, Thanks gals! You both gave me really great feed back---why fix what's not broken? I really LOVE having both your perspectives, as I feel we're getting to know each other to the point where we can really help each other, and see patterns. That's what's so great about our little cozy corner of this site, imo. Not a post and run kind of thing, but a CONNECTION kind of thing.

Misti---Wow, what a drop! Even better than when I posted the first time. I have found that since I started the tracker 10 days ago, I too have seen the difference. You're on your way again girl, I just know you are!

Trigger--So cool you dusted off the "Total Gym." Y'know, anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes a day on that thing would be great. Last time I did exercise I went Whole Hog Blue, in a way I wish I had your recent pix to underline. Just couldn't stop till I'd worked my way up to an hour a day doing all kinds of things I couldn't maintain. I'm hoping, come spring, to walk for just 10 to 20 minutes a day, and leave it at that. There must be a place between "bat out of hell" and "slug on the couch" right?

Holding at 186.6. And while I will welcome a drop, of course, for now I'm just happy not to be bouncin' blue over these last days. I attribute that to being vigilant about water, and my tracker. We'll see.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #1795
Major LCF Poster!

Yea Misti I see those rowing machines and I think they would do wonders to help a person get in shape. I want one but ain't buying one soon. I broke from Christmas..HA
CONGRATS on that drop.

Blue I already said to myself I am not going even ' a piglet hog' into exercising. that just makes me NOT do it I am going to do what I can, when I can and when I feel like it. 20 minutes sounds good. I don't want to be the slug! But I am not going to super athlete either!

GUYS I want to share with ya-----I got a new perspective. I have been on the internet just soaking up SO MUCH low carb info. Kinda wanted to reaffirm it all in my mind.

So I just bought a cookbook. The Low Carb Bible. Seems wonderful. Got it coming from the net.

and the preview receipe was NACHOS. HUH? well they recommend Guiltless Gourmet Chips. So I go off and check.

Tostitios chips are 7 chips per serving. 140 cals. 19 total carbs. 1 fiber---so net 18 g for ONLY 7 chips.

Guiltless Gourmet chips are 18 chips per serving. 120 cals. 22 total carbs. 2 fiber---so net 20 g for 22 (yes 22) chips. THAT MEANS 20 net carbs for a plate of nachos with cheese! WOW I tell ya that is doable for a rare treat!!!

I am ordering a bag. Now don't get me wrong. I AM NOT going to eat this every day but by goodness if I am going to make this LONG TERM I absolutely MUST find some appropriate low carb versions of real foods.

So I think I got myself super bored with the foods. I must expand. I have to expand or I might go bonkers So I pray this cookbook gives me tons of new info and foods that might work for me.

we shall see

as with anything, my mileage is subject to change at anytime regarding the above but I think I have found new vigor to start HELPING myself really get into this for long term life.

just rambling a bit !!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #1796
Major LCF Poster!

Holding pretty steady, up 0.2 lbs. today but not unexpected because of the amount of sodium I ate yesterday. Luckily there was free wi-fi at Village Inn tonight so I was able to enter the food in my tracker before I ate and was able to stay within my goals for the day. Not much else going on here, however I drank almost no water at work today so I need to make up for that now.

Glad you found some treats that will make you happy Trigger and can work into a LC plan. Yea, 18 chips sounds way better than 7 chips. I do usually eat 4-5 real ones when we go to Mexican, but I know they are carby, but I didn't think they were that carby! Oh well. Will try to stop myself next time. Blue, glad you are not bouncing! You are doing so well, just keep eating the way you are eating and the scale will move. Maybe slowly, but surely.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #1797
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Trig, "The Low Carb Bible" I LOVE IT!! I'll be interested to hear how those chips taste. Checked them out and they're a tad pricey, because you have to buy so many packs at once it seems. But they sure do get great reviews. I used to love nachos back in the SAD days. In fact, I'd be afraid if they taste that good I'd eat more than I should---always my problem w/these kind of things.

I know many don't believe in finding "sub foods" but that's a part of what keeps me going. I depend on my Trader Joe's 4 NC a slice wheat bread. Haven't had any in a week, sometimes it's a couple of times a week, but no more than 8 NCs at a time for a cheeseburger on toast. mmmmmmmmm. Not something I binge on, but boy does it hit the spot. Same for various sweetners I use. Again, I don't overuse, and seem to have no problem w/them.

I do know that w/every new LC recipe I find that works, every bit more variety, I have become happier and happier on this woe. Which is why the "Low Carb Bible" sounds so interesting. Going to check that out too.

Most of all, I see you're working to get in the zone, the sweet spot, whatever.
And you will get there! I describe that as going days and days w/out having cravings. This week, I have none, in fact couldn't be happier to be back on plan. Loved my holiday treats, but that's over and not missing it right now.

Last night the hubby made macaroni and cheese with frankfurters, seriously one of my top five foods pre LC. Son had been begging for it. I had one tiny taste and walked away. Not worth a week of bloat and how I'd feel after eating it.

Instead I made some hot Italian sausages again, w/1/3 cup of hubby's spaghetti sauce and some chunks of sauteed onion. That added up to enough carbs for the day, but I could spare them.

Today, a steamed artichoke w/butter and mayo for lunch, an avocado for a snack, and a good salad for dinner.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #1798
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---y'know, we're all doing well. We're all here, checking in and committed. I sense a new energy in us. A post holiday resurgence! Seems to me we LC musketeers are all taking on the new year in our own way, and I can't wait to see what that new year brings for us.

I so get the thing about water and work. I'm SO good on water when I work from home, but when I'm on site, or out of my house for the day for work, my water consumption is a problem. I say to myself, just carry one of those big plastic things w/a straw, but I don't do it.

So then like you, I have to catch up when I get home, which is never as good as the steady water throughout the day, but better than not at all.

Like you, hanging in there w/the tracker.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #1799
Major LCF Poster!

Misti, yes it sounds like you are going to have a nice drop on the scale soon. once that sodium is history it will move down for ya nice sweet! yea I love the chips also and they are a carby monster. Going to get a few bags of the Guiltless chips cause I found them in a health food store a few towns over. Gotta hit that place. See what they got to offer.

Blue, I am a 'mom's mac n cheese' hound! She makes the best and I can inhale a ton of it. Good thing ya walked away

Yea I have to find some suitable subs. I found a store that carries my Guiltlesss chips. Gonna hit it and see what else they got. I don't have Trader Joes or anything really like it in my area. (boonies here, even if near Charlotte NC-lol) Charlotte has more stores but the drive isn't worth it for me. But a more local place I just found and am going to check it out. I would love bread of some kind again. No one has the lower breads here. I have to find something even if for a now and then meal.

2 lbs of bloat gone this morning. Back into total LC ways. Almost at 0 carb thru the days so that is good. I am clean all the way. Time to get this moving for real down the scale. I feel like the holidays ARE OVER and DONE and it is time for the next cold days to be productive. After all, spring comes very early around me. Short season is upon me in no time in the South.

Glad we are all doing well! We know what to do, we just gotta do it
Old 01-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #1800
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---Way to go, girl!!!! 2 lbs down is fantastic. Your posts just sound stronger and stronger. It's like I said in my New Year's post---when you decide the rest of the weight is going, it's as good as gone. I think we're all in for a great time on the woe, one that sees us all healthier and slimmer by spring.

185.4 this AM! New number and over a lb drop. Haven't seen the kind of loss I've experienced lately in weeks and weeks, w/not much bounce, hope I'm not jinxing it by saying so.

I really do attribute it to the tracker---it influences what I choose to eat, period. And of course, the fact that the holidays have passed.

Today was a work lunch at a great restaurant. I had a Cobb Salad that was so darn good. Of course, there's no way I can know exactly the carbs and calories of such, so I just picked a Cobb salad on the tracker. Even if it's an imperfect estimation of what I ate, it is better than what I was doing in my mind, when I wasn't tracking. IOW, more than I would have thought.

So tonight it's Italian hot sausages and a bit of chopped onion. No spaghetti sauce this time, don't want to spend the carbs. Will put it on my TJ's LC bread, w/some reduced sugar ketchup. It will be enough, and it will be good, and I will come in just under my calorie goal, and good enough on carbs.

I'm finding w/the tracker that I was probably eating more carbs than I thought all along, although the great majority of that is in vegetables and green ones at that, tomatoes and onions being the exception, but I'm not giving those up. So now if I hit between 30 and 35 carbs a day, even pushing 40 carbs a day occasionally, plus coming in at or under my calorie goal, it all works---NOT feeling deprived, scale moving. Sweet spot.

Happy Friday night gals! My fave night of the week.
Closed Thread