Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #1711
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Happy Belated Birthday, Trigger! Glad you had a good (early) birthday dinner. Glad you had some ice cream cake. It sounds like you are super motivated at this point to stay on track. Slow losing is ok, we will all get there eventually! At least, that is what I am telling myself!

I am totally committed to LC eating, but I still tend to overeat from stress and have to stop myself from overeating out of boredom. And I don't lose when I eat too much food, LC or not. I'm up a couple of pounds too. I think I am going to give myself a pass until my birthday (Dec 31) and eat LC but not worry too much if I eat more one day (or two). I really hate the stress of Christmas shopping, I don't live near any of my family and I really have no idea what they want. But I have to get something, and if I am getting something I want it to be something they like or at least would find useful. Plus I am again planning the college graduation ceremony, it's on December 21, so I will be a big stress-ball right up until then. It is much better in the winter than in May (fewer graduates) but it is still a lot of planning.

Blue, it sounds like you are doing great, even if the scale is not cooperating. How great you have a trip to San Diego planned! I would love to go there someday. March should be a great time to escape the weather in the upper midwest! That dessert you made sounds great! I think even my son would like it. I think I know which one you are talking about.

Well, another weekend over. Not as much accomplished as I wanted to, but onward. And yes, we should all drink like camels! I didn't do so great on that front this weekend either.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #1712
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Misti---I think it's a GREAT idea to give yourself a "pass" through your birthday. And hey girl, talk about the perfect point of demarkation, the last day of the year! Just stay LC, and let it be what it will be. You've got a full plate right now---wow, all those food puns---and no use stressing about a couple of pounds that WILL BE GONE when the time is right. Planning college graduation ceremonies sounds very big to me. A million details, right? So in the immortal words of the Beatles, "Let it Be." The new year is a perfect time to dig in again.

Check your PMs. I'm sending you that dessert recipe, just in case you can't find it. Even hubby and the son love it.

Trigger---Hope you're back to ship shape and having a good day.

My day has been pretty productive. Working on some exciting new projects for work and it's fun. Got so engrossed, I didn't eat "lunch" till 3. A steamed artichoke. As y'all know, I love those, really with the butter and mayo, it's like popcorn to me, or at least as close to that as I'm gonna get these days. So nutty and yummy.

Dinner is a really good salad. Been off salads for awhile, so they're tasting really good to me again.

Down a pound today, which is OK, but considering I'm working my way down to the same old low again, not so exciting. Sometimes I think Trigger's got it right and I should just stay off the scale for a couple of days. But you know, I just have to know. And in the end, for me, I guess it's taught me a lot about patience, and about how I lose.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #1713
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the recipe Blue. It does sound good, I think even my son will like it. I think I will try it this weekend, he's been into "creamy" desserts recently. Got a bit of Chrismtas shopping done online today, but still have a lot left. I also got quite a bit done at work today too. Scale is sticking about 2-3 lbs. above my low, but I'm hoping there is some water retention there since TOM is impending. Oh well, it is what it is. Who knows, I may throw caution to the wind and even hold off on weighing every day myself for the next few weeks. But I'm making no promises on that one!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #1714
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Me too, "sticking 2-3 pounds above my low." And today, I really felt the bloat, which is odd because I've been eating very clean for the last 3 or 4 days after a slight off plan night at my party last friday. Doing pretty well on the water, but unlike camels, , this continues to be a challenge for me. How do you do on this? Do you find yourself forgetting, still, after all this time? I do, mostly when I'm really busy.

Let us know if you can resist the scale for the next few weeks. I'm of two minds about this. One head says, give it a break, a watched pot takes longer to boil etc. The other head says and sees this as a graph of how things go. I love seeing those graphs a few others here have painstakingly plotted, which always show plateaus, but over time show a good downward direction, and sometimes dramatic ones. Not going to do the graph, but seeing it every day kind of allows me to see it in my mind.

The more weight I lose, the more I'm eager to have the rest off, you know? Seems like it's a momentum thing and you want it to gain speed as it rolls down the hill, but unfortunately, I think weight loss does not follow that sort of trajectory.

Had a meeting canceled today, boy did I love that. Got some more Xmas shopping done instead. Unfortunately, started to feel punk late afternoon. My son has some icky thing, and I think I've caught it. Sore glands, sneezes, runny nose. Hope it doesn't grow into something worse. Early to bed tonight, big work day tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #1715
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry you're not feeling good Blue. Hope it clears up soon. I hear you on the scale thing, and the weight loss trajectory. I did weigh today and I was down to 211 (again), over a pound less than yesterday. Went to Mexican tonight so I expect to bloat up tomorrow, and I was really hungry so I had a few more tortilla chips than usual. I'm looking at bacon of the month clubs for DH and I'm gettin hungry again so I need to stop now! I did order some sugar-free candy and fudge sweetened with stevia, from Curly Girlz Candy, up in your neck of the woods (sort of). Should be here next week, so I'll have to keep my hands off it until I give it to DH for Christmas!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #1716
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
hey Misti another December baby!! My hubby is Jan. 4. It is tough getting birthday presents right around the christmas holiday isn't it? I mean, heck most things one gets at christmas, then we gotta get everyone birthday presents too when we are shopped out LOL

I am up guys. Yup. Last night kiddo's play was fab!! They were all so cute and actually did a GREAT job singing but the dancing part was wonky. arms flailing everywhere HAHA

after I wanted to go home and eat. hubby and kiddo wanted chinese down the road. MAN OH MAN. I was tired. Starved. Had my lc foods planned and then they beg. BEG ME and kept at me. Said ok. I knew the MINUTE I said yes I would eat off plan. I did.
Not a ton, but I hit some fried foods and a bit of noodles. BLOAT CITY HERE!

So I have to know the damage this morning so I hit the scale. Up 7 lbs. HOLY. I know the drill and it is getting super OLD. 3 days to drop all this. and then what? another darn eating out night cause we are so close to the holidays etc?? more junk around to want to nibble? BLECK all this is becoming a re-occuring nightmare of UP DOWN UP DOWN but one thing I have to remember IT IS THE HOLIDAY TIME. I will just forget LOSING now and just roll with the punches. well, I will lose the gains I put on each time but won't be worrying about losing. I cant. if I do right now I will put myself into a tizzy cause losing right now won't be happening before Dec. 25

now on Dec 26 it will be a different story I hope LOL

water is hard for me also right now. hitting more diet soda for a change and I bloat up on that and trying to avoid for obvious reasons. So I got some crystal light water enhancer. been putting in a very light squeeze and it helps drinking a bit easier right now. (that stuff is sweet so just a smidge goes a long way to add taste)

So fighting some holiday demons right now which I kinda expected. It is all ok tho.

It is what it is. low carb is for me in the long run. so after these few weeks I will put all my concentration into LOSING lbs. actually LOSING them and not re-finding them

Blue if you are in a momentum thing then stick hard with it. that is in the zone!! a great place to be!!

off to get kiddo to the dentist, then school. then home for a ton of things that has to get done. everyone stay strong! we can all get thru this of course !!!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #1717
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---Here's what I think you said that's important, "well, I will lose the gains I put on each time but won't be worrying about losing." This is imo, maintaining, and while the word may not be sexy to we who have more we want to lose, maintaining what we've lost is a big freaking deal. I know because I've failed to do it twice over the last 5 to 7 years. Yes, I'm on my THIRD time losing the same 50 pounds and I sure as heck don't want to do it again.

When I look back I think, sure would have been nice if I'd gotten it the first time I gained it back. But as for the second time I did it to myself, I look back and say, really?!! And it seems to happen before you know it, although most don't really fall off the wagon as much as they slide off it. Bit by bit, day by day. It's insidious.

So as someone who has a great affection for her other LC musketeers, and so understand the ups and downs of our paths, I cheer maintaining when that's what's right to do for the time we're in. And, I also note that maintaining takes effort too, it is not a permission slip to let go, right? As tempting as it is some days---for me too.

As for me, I dropped a pitiful half pound this AM. LOL, my new theory is that it's so freaking cold up here that my body refuses to release any fat that might keep it warmer! Last time I hit 187, third time, I thought it was here to stay. WRONG. And I thought I was on track with my pace of losing. But now it is clear to me that my pace is slowing down. 5 days after a not huge deviation from plan, eating clean and drinking as much like a camel as I can, and one pound and small change is all I have to show for it.

BUT, so what. It's a rough spot. Put up with them all the time at work, guess I can do it for my health and well being too.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #1718
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yea Blue I agree. I guess I have to say at this point I am maintaining. I THINK I BEST LOOK at it that way and be more mindful of just saying 'screw this and eat whatever!'

if I think maintainence now thru the holiday maybe I won't just give in and say what the heck and eat more off plan than normally I would.

I think I SHOULD be losing now. but it ain't happening. So I get SUPER frustrated I am dragged out to chinese when I want to eat simple at home. So I thew in the towel on myself. Stupid thing to do actually, and DUH, I get it now. I will maintain in a good lc way thru the holiday and stop with the frustration of wanting to lose lbs and get the scale lower.

ok---I came to terms with some things.

I hear ya on that 'pitiful' 1/2 lb been there and know that. could be the cold and our little more heavy days of eating thru the social times.

this is your third time losing 50? I am 2nd time around. I swore this time losing the 60 lbs will be my LAST! I can't do this again LOL like you, I had it. one more go and when goal hits we gals all have to stay together to keep us on track. reminding each other WHY we can't go thru this loss again and again and again. we need to hang onto each other long term

we'll get thru it all. and the stupid cold. yea we got it too. 28 out there right now and I despise it. --and that stupid cold WILL GO AWAY and spring will follow. at least there is a light at the end of this tunnel and the new season will be smaller sizes for all of us!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #1719
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I so get the frustration when you're trying so hard and not losing. Dropping pounds is motivating, staying stuck on the scale can be demotivating. But like we both agree, maintaining is plenty sexy if it means we don't go whole hog and gain back the whole wollop of fat. And yes! When we all get to goal, we'll need each other as much if not more to keep on keepin on. Plus, we have some fun, and who wants to give that up. You guys are such a great little support group, I really look forward to reading what's up with y'all every day, and hoping it's not the scale! I look forward to posting here because it's a way to be very conscious of my commitment and lets me hear some of my thoughts "out loud" when I write them.

Misti---Hope things are going well for you and that you're not a "total stress ball," as you feared you were headed for.

So after my little rant yesterday, I got a nice whoosh on the scale this AM, new number and all. 186.7. First time I've seen 186, and I probably won't see it again for awhile. In fact, I was thinking this might be a great time to ignore the scale awhile, let the memory of that 186 keep me feeling good about things. Don't know if I can do it though, such a strong habit and call to that scale every morning!

Some nice peppered salami and baby swiss chess for lunch, plus a couple bites of a Xmas nut cheese ball w/it, love those cheese balls, very good spread on the peppered salami. Dinner is hubby's three pepper chicken, so tasty. May make some zoodles to go with. Pretty clean LC day.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #1720
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick pop-in to say hi. I am still here, but yes, I am a "stress-ball" unfortunately. At least it hasn't lead to stress eating yet. Congrats on your new low, Blue! I am at one today too, 209.6. So we'll see if it sticks. Hang in there Trigger! I think it is perfectly valid to say you want to maintain right now. I think the best thing to do would be to "plan" the off-plan stuff, so you know it's coming, if you can. If not, then just move on and tomorrow is another day!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #1721
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You said it Blue: "You guys are such a great little support group, I really look forward to reading what's up with y'all every day, and hoping it's not the scale!" LOL as long as the scale isn't up we are on a roll and not a bread roll!

I will start to call myself Misti yup. I am a stress ball right now also! EVERYTHING is hitting at one time for me! you know how it is perfect, easy going, and YA KNOW, just know it is going to get ya.....well I am so super busy with a ba-zillion things from work to life it is insanity.

I am meat and eggs right now. went to the store and got a smoked brisket and ate a good bit. so stuffed. got me eggs, bacon, hamburger etc. I am going to detox out of this 'bit of stuff' I am eating. time to get the body cleaned out and back in deep ketosis. I need that punch every now and then.

to boot my credit card was declined at the grocery today. HUH....what...!!! Came home checked my internet statements and WHAMMO tons of charges from WHO knows who they are I called. I got it cancelled. She said I don't have to pay etc. they had me on card watch from this morning when charges started coming from weird places.
So close acct, open new one, they are clearing the charges and ALL good....but geez. who needs this right? but I got away easy I think.

changing lights in the barn with hubby. talk nightmare. my horse barn roof is like 60 ft high in the center LOL it isn't a fun job. I get to hold the ladder. yippee

all kinds of little things to get my fur in an uproar.

but tonight I got a monster burger with my name on it. can't wait!!

You are right Misti. I gotta plan even the small eats. I gotta take back some control. I feel out of control and that is never good for me. I require control to make it all work so I am hitting meat and eggs for a few days. It is't so much about the scale right now but more about taking back control for myself.

hang in there everyone. we can get thru this!!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #1722
Major LCF Poster!

Hey my favorite stress balls, it's FRIDAY!

Misti---Had fun reading your LC Christmas list on that thread in the ML, and looked up the books. The Trick and Treat one sounds great, it went on my list. Reading stuff like this motivates the heck out of me. Read the reviews on Maria's book and was a bit put off by the high cost of ingredients, and I'm not that much of a cook, but I think you are. And I bet her recipes are fab.

Anyway GOOD NEWS on that 209! Inch by inch, step by step, right?

Trigger---A horse barn!!!! So exotic to me, although changing the lights doesn't sound fun, and steadying the latter sounds boring, but better than climbing way up there yourself. How many horses do you have? Do you ride a lot?

You sound great in terms of your woe. You struggle, but you're a fighter and you always nip it back in. Tis the season to maintain and enjoy, if that's what's called for by life, circumstance, and who we are. Nothing wrong with hitting the new year without losing OR GAINING. By then it's a new page, new chapter, onward.

Of course I bounced up today, about a pound and a half, and was unsuccessful in staying away from the scale. I think it's because for me, I really need to face that scale, every freaking day. And Ntombi had a good thread about how we lose weight up in the ML, and I found bouncin' Blue has
A LOT of company.

BPC for breaky, Homemade BLT lettuce wraps for lunch, and another cheeseburger for dinner, on TJ's low carb bread. And it all tasted good to me, and dinner sounds good to me, and scale or not, I'm sailing along right now, happy with my LC choices.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #1723
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

we have 4 horse barns actually remember we are a farm LOL a one with alot of buildings. we have 2 hog barns and one big chicken barn. we had about 120 Boer goats, 400 chickens, 125 hogs on rotation and we raised Spotted Saddle Horses for many years. We rode ALL the time! Horses are a biggie for me. loved them from day 1 and had tons of great horses thur the years.

My last passed from colic about 4 years ago and I haven't gotten another. When we shut down the farm and she passed a bit after I decided that I want to travel. The animals were a noose that kept me tied. Now it is all about freedom One day more horses maybe, but right now it is all about travelling in the rv.

and I have been researching beachfront homes on the coast. I tell ya I got a bug for a big change. who knows where it might go.

rainy here this morning. off to the farmer market christmas craft fair with the kids. kiddo had a friend sleep over so they are moving fast and I gotta get in gear and off we go. They just ate a ton of MY bacon lol I got the sinus pressure as usual but I hope it doesn't hit into a real headache. stuid sinus!!!!

all good. haven't gotten on the scale. eating my meat and eggs but I did jump on a stupid sugar cookie the kids made last night. I am finding more control again tho so I like that.

off to get this going on this crazy day
Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #1724
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, that was lot of animals Trigger! DH would love to have a little hobby farm but it isn't in the cards while we are both working full-time. We have 6 acres, 4 are rented to the neighbor to farm corn and soybeans. We might do something different with it some day but we don't have time right now. We used to have a few chickens until the neighbor's dog ate them.

Blue, do you have a suggestion for a good intro book on "how" to eat low carb? I'm still looking for something for my niece, we already gave her Atkins (either 1992 or 2002, which are similar). I was going to try Maria's new book "Keto-Adapted" but I agree with you on the high cost of ingredients and in the book it makes it sound like if you don't do everything she says (supplements, organic foods, etc.) then don't bother. My niece isn't in that place right now. She needs something simpler. I am going to download a couple of Kindle books today that are also in hard copy, and take a look so I can order something for her within the next couple of days. Also trying to figure out if there are any other LC "staples" I should get as an add on. Like almond flour or coconut flour? But you don't need those things to eat LC - they can just make it more "fun". Not sure. Plus she never responded to my long Facebook message about how I eat...so I really don't even know if she still wants to do it!

New low today, 209.2, so it has stuck. Yea! Even after a bit of stress-peanut-eating last night. But overall I've been good. Hopefully I won't stuff my face too much this weekend. I must get all my shopping done!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #1725
Major LCF Poster!

Mornin' gals. Gorgeous snowy day here today. So Christmasy and pretty. Not a dump just a pretty coating, soft flakes falling. Reminds me of the best winter days when I was a kid, sledding or building a snowman. Won't be doing either today, LOL.

Trigger---Wow, that was quite an operation you guys were running there! And hey, I thought of you yesterday. I was working at home on the computer, and I always have my TV on in the background in my office. Had it on HGTV yesterday and the whole afternoon was House Hunters, beach front edition. You would have so enjoyed it, interesting to see prices and possibilities, and wow, there were some incredible homes, some amazingly affordable. Some not so much of course. Don't know if you like HGTV, but if you ever get a chance to catch it, you'd have a lot of fun dreaming!

Good work on the meat and eggs!!

Misti---I went to Amazon and googled LC books. One that came up that sounded good is "Low Carb Diet crushed" by Christopher Ashley. Read the description and the reviews and it sounds like a good all around LC book, some about why it works, ideas, tips etc. Seems it might be more a "how to"
book then others that approach it with so much science.

I always think "Why We Get Fat" is an excellent place to start, because it really tells you, well, why we get fat. But I can understand if you think that might be a bit dense for your niece. Let me know what you end up with.

209!!! Fabulous.

We're having our neighbor couple and daughter over for our little Xmas celebration. Hubby is making Contessa's lemon stuffed roasted chicken, and potatoes, and I'm making Paula Dean's green bean casserole again---have a real hankering for it as there were no left overs last time I made it, and I didn't get enough of it. So yummy.

So I've got tons to do today, better get on it.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1726
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the rec on the book Blue, it is free today for Kindle so I got it for myself! Will need to find a hard copy book for niece, though, she doesn't have a Kindle or even a Kindle app.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #1727
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Thanks for the rec on the book Blue, it is free today for Kindle so I got it for myself! Will need to find a hard copy book for niece, though, she doesn't have a Kindle or even a Kindle app.
How did I miss that it was free on Kindle?! Thanks for mentioning, got it myself, so we'll have to discuss what we think of it after we've read it. It's short, so that's another reason I thought it might work for your niece if she's overwhelmed with whole LC thing. Bummer that it doesn't seem to come in book form.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #1728
Major LCF Poster!

Everything's ready for tonight and I have a bit of time before they come so I just popped in to say Misti, sure glad we didn't pay anything for that book!

Read/Skimmed it beginning to end this afternoon. IMO, not well written, sloppy,
and has some "fat phobia" aspects, cautioning against saturated fats and telling you to de-fat your meats by removing skin from chicken etc. This makes it something I wouldn't give to someone starting LC. Other info is ok, very basic. Does keep the science part short and sweet, "the how it works" part. But overall, you get what you pay for, LOL.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #1729
Major LCF Poster!

Blue, the serial poster is here again.

Looks like a quiet day here at LCOW. Quiet day at home too, didn't get much done, seems I just needed to veg out.

Our dinner last night was fantastic, very fun, and went till 1 in the morning, and then when everyone left, I was too wound up to sleep, so read til 4am, and slept in late. Once I do that seems I can't get myself rolling for the whole day. Which is just fine, I'm rolling often enough.

Had some left over roast chicken and green beans for lunch. Hubby's making corned beef and cabbage for dinner, my mom's coming to join us as she often does on Sunday nights. I've got a salad made and may just skip most of the corned beef and cabbage. Not hungry and while I like it, it's just SO salty.

I thought the thread in the ML on which season we lose weight in the best was interesting. A couple others saying they think the cold makes their body hold on to its fat more. All I know is that while I'm eating pretty darn clean in carbs and calories, my weight loss has slowed down from last summer. Knowing and accepting this is part of the process I think. Solution? Reduce expectations and stay on plan! IOW, be a good tortoise and keep on keepin' on towards that finish line.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #1730
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with you on the book Blue. At least it was free! I looked at LOTS of samples and even "borrowed" one for free on the Kindle. I decided to get my niece Nourished: A Cookbook for Health, Weight Loss, and Metabolic Balance by Judy Barnes Baker. It was a bit expensive for the paperback but I was able to get myself the Kindle version for $2.99 with purchase of the paperback. It seems to have good intro to LC eating, and quite a few recipes that don't all seem overly complicated, as far as I can tell.

I'll have to check out the seasons thread. My weight is up 2 lbs. inexplicably today. I am sure it is water, but the bouncing is kind of irritating. Depending on the day, I have only lost 2-4 lbs. since late October. Oh well, another few weeks until the holidays are over. I'll get more serious then.

Speaking of holidays I think I got almost all my Christmas shopping done today. Now I just have to ship stuff to my family and write Christmas cards. So not over yet. I still have couple things to get for DH, and I have charged him with getting presents for his parents (I got stuff for the rest of his family). So I feel the end is in sight. I hope to have it all done within the next day or two so I can relax a bit (well, after the graduation ceremony on Saturday that is!)
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #1731
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Depending on the day, I have only lost 2-4 lbs. since late October. Oh well, another few weeks until the holidays are over. I'll get more serious then.
This is me but I gained up from that stupid buffet and am losing that weight again I also have to just get more serious after the holiday. which is only a bit longer!!! It seems a shame I am wanting the holiday to 'get here fast and over with' so I can concentrate on lc.

Blue you are right. Reduce expectations and stay on plan. words to live by I think when I slow down, eat a bit more, go off my usual foods and routine thru certain times of year, it does all get frustrating. but those few words will get me thru! reduce expectations and stay on plan---cause in the end it will all work as a benefit for me if I just stay the course.

LOL I did see some of those beachfront shows. got me wanting. hmmm....

I feel fat. OH YEA. I got that bad bloated up feeling. Not good and always loved that thinner feeling. I am missing it now. I jumped on some mixed chocolate candy bag hubby bought. (I tell ya if I lived alone it would be so simple cause I don't buy any of this stuff mostly, but living alone isn't going to happen). I find myself saying ---just a bite, just a small piece, just one, just a little---which all of this is not good

Like Misti, just a few more weeks and I can concentrate on ME. ME and what I need to get back into gear and down that scale.

I had a big old salad yesterday. yum. meat and eggs is good for some loss which is helpful but I sure do miss variety.

So eating clean today and taking stock of it all and trying to get thru the days as easy as I can.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #1732
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---The book you chose sounds great. I went and read up on it at Amazon and the reviews were the best part. Assuming you read the one from the low carb guy, Jimmy whatshisname, which had a very interesting back story on the author. Other reviews were pretty interesting too. I'm tempted to get this myself! I don't have a lot of LC cookbooks, find more of my recipes on line. I have Dana Carpenters door stop of a book, and find I never use it---so many recipes, so many ingredients, so I like that this sounds simpler.

Also, quick question for you. Planning Xmas dinner, we need to bring the main dish to my brothers. So we're bringing lasagna, easy to travel with, no fuss no muss. We're going to use Dreamfield's Pasta, which as you know there's controversy over. I figure it's worth going with, and just wondering if you've ever tried it and does it raise your blood sugar?

Trigger---Do you like Dark Chocolate? I get a bar w/almonds that I can have a couple of squares for 4 or 5 carbs, and it takes the edge right off any sweet
cravings. Seems like you could use something as an option when the kiddo or the hubs bring home the sweets. My husband has a huge sweet tooth and brings this stuff home all the time. Thankfully I don't like his taste in sweets---cheap donuts and cheap candy. But lately I've had more trouble saying no to sweets too. I've done it for the most part, it's just hurt more than usual, LOL.

Just had a yummy patty melt w/one slice of TJ's LC bread. Big salad for dinner tonight. Really have been eating clean and lean (lean in calories, not fat of course lately, even if you wouldn't know it by looking at the scale.

BUT, I've been wearing these size 14 jeans around the house that I wouldn't wear out because "muffin top." But in the last couple of weeks that muffin top is smaller, not a lot smaller, but noticeable. So I choose to think some fat is melting away behind that scale's back!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #1733
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We are having 'regular old' lasagna for christmas dinner plus a steak. So I will be eating a big old steak, VERY small lasagna and a salad. YES Dreamfields will raise your blood sugar. I read that it doesn't spike it immediately, what it does is have a delay effect. Like 3 hrs later it will go up. So when I read about Dreamfields it has a slower process thru the body but it will raise blood sugar in the end.

I am falling back into bad routines. A bit here and there! I was good NOT doing that and now I am finding myself saying it is OK while I know it isn't. What I did was cut back buying 'my lc chocolate' cause I was trying to cut it down. But now I see I better restock my chocolate because when I want it, I want it....and if not there I will dive head first into hubbys stash. Which is way worse in carbs than my bars.

Today I am hitting the store and buying my dark chocolate bars and stocking up so they are on hand. I noticed I am trying to eliminate a few things, but then when I am out of 'my product' I then jump on their junky stuff. Best I keep buying what I need. I see I am not over wanting certain things just yet and probably won't be

CONGRATS Blue on deflating that muffin top!!! I do believe we lose inches without the scale moving so you hang in there. I know I saw results with inches and no scale movement as long as I stay on definite LC and plan.

Me, eh, I still got a bloated feeling. I want my thin feeling back! So today I am eating my 'go to lc meals' that I know make me feel great. I haven't hit the scale. my pants are tighter and that isn't good! But I will keep on plugging away to correct that.

Last edited by Trigger828; 12-17-2013 at 04:31 AM..
Old 12-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #1734
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---have you heard about those ChocoPerfection bars? They say the Dark chocolate ones are very good and you can have a whole bar for only a couple NCs. They are expensive, but might be worth it. I can stop at 2 or 3 squares of dark chocolate, because, LOL, it's not bread. But if you need more, then maybe these are worth trying out?

It's like for me, I always have my Trader Joe's LC bread on hand. Tonight we're having one of my dearest pals over for dinner, and a baguette will be served. So I've got my slice of TJ's ready to go, w/some No Sugar blackberry jam. Cause once I start in on the baguette slices, I can't be sure I'll stop!

And I agree, gotta have my subs, "my products," and can only tweak so much before this isn't sustainable for me. If the weight loss is slow, so be it. Anything but gaining back, please.

So we'll both be having lasagna for Xmas! Love it. Will make it w/Dreamfield's anyway. I too have read of some who get the blood sugar rise later from it, but have also read about others who don't. I figure it's a better bet on the chance it doesn't effect me, than reg pasta, and tastes every bit as good.

Down to 187.5 this morning. I've lost track of how many times it's been there and gone up, but haven't seen 190 for awhile, so that's good. Looking forward to my next bouncearama between 184 and 187---the further away form 190 I am, the better I feel about it!

Lots to do for tonight, gotta run!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #1735
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought the chocoperfection bars. I wasn't a fan but I hit the store and they had my Giradellhia (spell?) big bars on sale. I ate 4 squares last night and it was satisfying.

I KNOW NOW I must keep my subs on hand. if not I say what the heck and dive into other things. Something I need to control, which I have to a point cause olden days I could pig out, now I just 'taste' but I still don't want to do that. I know it can lead to bad things.

I am the same way now about my speed of weight loss. it will happen for us! for this holiday weight loss isn't happening. maintain within reason is good I lost some of the bloat so I feel less fat today. I like that. Will do lc food today and mind my control. haven't hit the scale but the DAY AFTER christmas I will and start a whole new motivation. I have a week at the beach planned for Dec. 27 to Jan. 1 (which should be wonderful) and crab legs are on my hit list. I will bring tons of lc options for me. I will do this trip good!

gotta run here and there today. tons to do. never enough time.

all of us are hanging in there and making this work thru the holidays. we are not going bonkers and I think that means we are way further ahead in our journey. I have holiday control within reason and I noticed you guys do also. I think we are doing well!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #1736
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---Good to hear you lost the "bloat" feeling. Hate that. Now it's just maintain and enjoy the coming days of the Holiday. Not an excuse to go hog wild, or slip sliding off the wagon, just doing the best possible to stay where we are, till we can all take a big breath come Jan. 1 and RE-SET.

A week at the beach in December?! Sounds wonderful, but how does that differ from summer at the beach. Even as south from us as you are, it isn't swim suit weather is it?
What do you do when it's cooler at the beach?

Misti---Know you're heading to the big finale of graduation, hope all is well and you're not too stressed out. We miss you!

Well, last night I did fine, ate mostly LC at our little dinner party---but for two small bites of a garlic baguette and 2 small bites of red velvet cake. BUT, I ate a lot of LC. I'm sure my calories were way up. I was up a pound and a half this AM. Not surprised. I also just read that LC food digests much slower, which is interesting. So every night we eat a lot, even LC, chances are we're still carrying more of the weight of that food the next morning.

Today I had a salad for lunch at Edit, and one of the editors had made the most divine homemade cheese/chipolte bread, which she had toasted up and buttered. Siren call to Blue! I took a piece, cut it in 4 parts, and had 1 and 1/2 parts. Can't believe I stopped. But I am finding more and more that I can have a "taste." This is helpful when out there with the holiday temptations.

I've got a huge holiday weekend coming up, old friend in town, will meet her for brunch, and a party Saturday and Sunday night. And that's before we even get to Xmas---two delicious meals on parade in a row.

So yeah, I'm all about maintenance right now. And you know, I need a break from worrying every pound and every morsel. I will do the best I can over this weekend, and it will probably be pretty good, if not great. But gals, I have decided that on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I will simply enjoy, including the food. Hopefully "enjoy" doesn't mean go crazy. It just means, I hope, that I'm off the weight loss clock right now, till the day after Christmas.

But that won't stop me from checking in here and reporting every "naughty or nice" detail. I can relax on the need to lose right now, but "maintenance," not a 10 pound fat and bloat extravaganza till demands some accountability from me. And anyways, looking forward to sharing the holidays w/y'all right up to and through.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #1737
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am a metal detector. I am addicted and can detect for miles and miles down a beach. from sun up to sundown! AND this year I bought my kiddo a junior detector.

So I metal detect, kiddo can try this time or play in the sand which she loves (and while cold, she will still get wet in the surf!) and hubby is a surf fisherman.

We hit the beach in hot or cold! this year we are hitting Ripleys Aquarium for some inside fun. she wants to go and see it so this is the time. When hot weather we rarely do much other than the beach since we love love love it. no swim colder trips we actually go somewhere

--------Misti, where are ya? I know you are super duper busy. I hope all is going well for you! Check in when ya can and let us know how it is all going for you.

Blue I so agree to maintain right now. That is what I am doing. I better be watchful tho, I jumped on a VERY small bowl of cheese doodles. Why? Cause kiddo ate some and she left over a few and I woofed them down and ALMOST considered getting the bag, dumping in a few more and eating them. I am not a fan, but the crunch and tasty junk almost got me wanting more. I had a flash of pulverizing the rest of the bag!!

whew. I gotta be careful not to be dragged down into a full blown carb fest.

on christmas day I am eating a bit of carby also. I don't think it will hurt us BUT we got to make SURE that we don't go crazy. Crazy eating can lead me down a very bad path for a while, having to re-lose those same lbs over and over and over. I can't keep doing it. driving me bonkers in a way.

But I feel that literally the day after christmas I want to attack the scale. Get into weight loss mode big time again. I feel like I am floundering but it is by choice so I don't have to worry about the holidays. at the same time I want some real, REAL weight loss and continue down the scale without coming back up

Blue you be careful. all those yummy breads are seeming to find you this holiday LOL
I know. I am seeing things I want a taste of constantly now also.

we will get thru and when we do, all of us will hit more of a commitment to actually get the scale moving down.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #1738
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---OK, I'm fascinated by the metal detector thing. What's your best find? Totally cool, and could see myself getting quite into that---I'm quite the scrounger myself in different ways. A walk on the beach PLUS, maybe a treasure! Doesn't get much better than that.

LOL on the cheese doodles! Since I was a kiddo, I have LOVED Cheetos, and unlike most adults, never gave them up till LC. A diet coke and a bag of Cheetos, fried or baked depending on my mood, used to make me so happy, orange fingers and all---old friends have long laughed at me about this.

I'm trying and succeeding in learning to have just a taste of things not on plan. I'm getting to the point where my investment in not gaining back the weight is getting bigger than my desire to go crazy with the naughty stuff. I can honestly say I've been 98% good for weeks, with no reward on the scale, which concerns me just a bit because I'm worried I'll have to tweak more than I can maintain to lose more. I think I may have to adjust to slower weight loss---not that it's ever been fast for me---- which is common as we get closer to goal, although I'm still 25 lbs from my goal, which doesn't feel all that close, LOL.

Wheeeeew, just in from an afternoon of shopping w/hubby. We had fun, and put some money in the pockets of the small shops in our neighborhood. I used to have my own small store, and I remember how thankful I was during the holidays when folks chose my store over big box stores to find their gifts.

Very clean eating day so far, and not much. Not sure what I'll do for dinner, but it will be LC and not big. Tomorrow is a holiday work lunch, followed by a weekend of festivities, so I'm being very good in preparation for what may be an off plan moment or two to come.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #1739
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals, happy Friday.

Just home from a fantastic day. Big presentation in the morning that went so well I'm still pinching myself, and then a long holiday lunch with my fave colleagues. So FUN. I was pretty good w/the woe. Couple of bites of their amazing bread, couple bites of key lime pie we shared, otherwise all LC. Not too bad, considering what everyone else was eating and what was on the table from appetizers through dessert.

Steak w/boursin melted cheese on top---a tip from someone here that's so relish---but to be honest, still full from lunch, so may have just a small amount.

We're home tonight, going to get cozy on the sofa w/my book and a fire, or maybe a movie w/the hubby. So happy to just relax for the night, because the rest of the weekend is a blur of holiday festivities.

And there'll be fantastic food everywhere. If I do as well as I did at lunch today, I'll be happy. Then Monday is clean LC, Tues and Wed is off plan but not crazy whole hog, and on Thursday, it's back to clean on plan. And I think I'll be ready for it. Treats are nice, but I think I like them being a treat, instead of a lifestyle.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #1740
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My best find was an 18k diamond ring at Myrtle Beach a small one tho! still have it and am going to give it to kiddo when she fits into it. I find tons of money, which does add up LOL Glasses, tent stakes, fishing weights, tons of soda/beer cans! Every sweep of the detector COULD be something great! that is what keeps me going. the thrill of what is next. I started with a cheapy machine, got a better one, and now I have AtPro which means I can detect underwater. Up to 10 ft. fully submersible. I love it. My next one will be even better when I retire and head west when we RV. I will be out there searching for gold. Oh yea haha

Blue it sounds like you are doing very well. you sound relaxed and in control. that is a good thing I am eating just enough to get nowhere which is ok also. no gains and like you--3 days of lc, tues is dinner with MIL for christmas eve, christmas at my parents, thurs back on plan, friday off to the beach for a week. I already am preparing myself for the beach trip. getting my mind more into a 'vacation IS NOT a free ride' thinking.

One thing I know and think you have this also is that our eating has changed big time. I know for a fact I will never eat like I did before. even if I slip a bit, it is never like I used to eat, nor do I want to eat like that before. My mindset is lc now. So even if I have some things the desire is not there to go whole hog.

I really believe the longer on plan, the slower I do lose, I am really cementing in the food changes and just not giving the 'old meals' any control over me. I will never order french fries again my life. But I might steal 3-4-5 of them from hubby when he does. I won't be sitting down to an open bag of chips but I might eat 3-4 with lunch. So I know these changes are setting in for real in me. I feel good about that. I know food is taking on a whole new meaning and I am 'getting it' finally :P

hardest is losing. I want to lose. My mind says LOSE cause that is what I need to be happening. but I know it is best to just relax, do my thing, stagnate on the scale, don't gain, have FUN thru the holidays and then attack when the time is right. Good thing is guys that we have winter to lose big time. after december it is weight loss time all the way into spring. We have jan/Feb/March/April/May to lose big weight. I am going to set goals for those months. If I play my cards right I will get to goal. I need to see progress starting to goal now again.

biding my time til I can attack and we know when the holiday is over we will be back posting about how we are going to jump on losing good weight again and get this goal thing happening!!

Misti, hope you are good. check in girl
Closed Thread