Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #1681
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Happy Thanksgiving gals!

Trigger---What a darlin' pup, but maybe not quite as cute as your kiddo. Thanks for sharing. I have to figure out how to embed a pix. I'm such a tech-know-nothing, although I'm good at racing around on line shopping!

Shitzu, LOL!!! Quick thinkin'.

I know what you mean about being OK with the occasional off day. I think that's part of a LC lifestyle, as long as it's not a big part of it. I have had occasional treats since I began this woe, and it hasn't stopped my weight loss, although it may have sometimes slowed it. But life is not a perfect arc of our expectations of ourselves---the line up is always riddled with ups and downs. And sometimes, it's just good to enjoy life a bit, even if that means a few chocolate covered cherries.

Misti---I'd love to have a cat too, but allergic as heck to them. But I've always had a dog, wouldn't want to be without that animal love.

I'm making a green bean casserole too. Loved them when I was a kid and our family hasn't made them in years. Plus I wanted something in lieu of the mashed potatoes and this will do it. My whole family is having a good time making jokes about the fact that I'm cooking something. "Where's Blue and when are they bringing her back?" The new LC me! HA. Your dinner sounds light and tasty, and hey, after the MIL's meal, will taste like heaven!

So, amongst the many things I'm thankful for today, one of them is that the scale said 187.7 this AM! Went right past 188 to another new number. Wanted to be 188 by Thanksgiving and I made it. Of course probably only for a day, given the feast tonight.

My number one goal is not to stuff myself and make this the first thanksgiving I stop at satisfied and feel good after. I do plan on eating as clean as possible. Turkey, green bean casserole, little bit of squash and a salad. Hubby is bringing his liver pate for an appetizer which is fantastic. But there'll be a LOAD of other appetizers out, my family loves the apps and does good ones. That will be my challenge. All in all, there'll probably be a few treats today and like Trigger, I'm OK w/that. I will say that having a little mini whoosh this am motivates me to be as on plan as I can be.

Have a lovely thankful day you guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #1682
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Misti I am a cat person also over the years I had a ton of barn cats. even the strays that showed up to eat me out of cat food. haha nothing like that soft purr. love it. it sounds like you got a great holiday meal happening! sounds delish.

Blue congrats on that scale happening for ya!! It seems like your body absolutely loves lc and is showing you great results. I will be the first in line to have you autograph your new LC cookbook when it comes out being a good lc cook is very helpful when tackling this lifestyle. You found your niche to make it all work for you and that is fab!!

Well, me, I ate a bit. Moms stuffing was so delish. Only stuffing I love is Moms. nothing like that taste. eat it once a year and loved every bite but of the course the scale didn't I am fine with being up 4.5 lbs. It is doable to tackle and get off.

my day (even tho not very hungry right now) is going to start off with some bacon. if I eat bacon early in the day it sure holds me very well. So I am going to my old standby of tips to get back onto plan and stay there pushing some water cause I had a few drinks and that water sure helps.

busy busy as usual. 2 days of holiday meals and I feel like I got thru fine. now back to basics and usual routine.

we did well guys. we didn't go nutso, we stayed within reason, we can pat ourselves on the back for keeping decent control and all that good stuff to get thru the holiday.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #1683
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Trigger, me, I ate a bit too.

I should have seen it coming, but Thanksgiving dinner while good, is not my favorite meal and I didn't feel hungry going in. But it was such a lovely gathering, all my family, plus my newly married nephews parents and bride's brother, a wonderful addition, everyone happy and full of fun. As the evening progressed, I could feel myself letting go of the woe and just enjoying.

Did well through the appetizers, stayed totally LC, and lots to choose from there, although we were sipping drinks and munching for about 2 hours, so it probably added up

Then came dinner. Ended up just short of stuffed. Good news is, no bread, no mashed potatoes and only 2 bites of dessert. But did have sweet potatoes, oh Lord, they were good. And lots of my green bean casserole, which was, if I do say so myself, splendid. (Paula Dean's recipe---she may get in trouble w/her mouth, but the woman knows how to cook). A bit of stuffing, and the thing that I loved so much---blackberry sauce over the turkey. My nephew's MIL brought this, and OMG, it was phenomenal. Big blackberries swimming in a nice sweet sauce.

Ahhhh, the memories.

And yep, that 187 disappeared this AM, but at least the damage wasn't terrible. 189.1, so at least I didn't have to greet that 90 number again. Been very busy today, no time to eat. BPC, and a couple hard boiled eggs to keep me goin'. Tonight a left over cheeseburger patty on my TJ LC bread.

You know, one thing I feel very positive about---I am getting pretty darn good at having a treat night now and then, and then getting right back on plan. And it's kind of amazing to me how that isn't hard for me these days. Just seems right and "normal" now.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #1684
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and one more thing Trig, my family would laugh till they burst if they could hear you talk about a cookbook by Blue. My mother has been irritated for years that I've never had to cook because I married a man who loves to cook and is darn good at it, and would prefer I stay out of the kitchen.

Can't say I love to cook, and I'll never match the hubby and don't want to. Nor can I expect him, lanky, slim guy that he is, to cook LC all the time for me. So it's been kind of a fun challenge to see how easy I can make good stuff when I have to.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #1685
Major LCF Poster!

well Blue sounds like you had a blast and a very enjoyable evening. THAT is what it is all about. Having fun with family and relaxing and giving in a little to the foods but keeping some control. YOU DID WELL! that blackberry sauce sounds yummy. yum I am a fan of blackberries to the max.

''It just seems right and normal now''-----I know what you mean. I truly think it takes ALOT OF TIME on plan to finally once and for all figure this one out It is OK to have a bit of carby stuff but key is to default back into lc and WANT to get back to lc. I think we are ALL getting that stage. it was some struggles for us but I think time gave us what we needed. realizing LC is the way to go. we like how our bodies react. but give in rarely to fun, family and relaxing enjoyable foods at times. Yup, it is all good Blue. We all are settling into a familiar pattern. It is a good thing for us

a cooking gourmet hubby is a good (and bad) thing to have LOL but hey, what about a collaboration. hubby goes lc cooking and you suggest the meals that you want lc. You KNOW the cook in him will want to experiment and make the best lc version of that meal.
OK--- I will have to get BOTH your autographs!

we came thru ok. I am proud of us. I stayed LC all the way today baby I did good.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #1686
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Glad to hear you both had a great Thanksgiving! The scale was up a bit for me too. I ate all LC, but ate a bit too much throughout the day. Oh well, it was a holiday, and I didn't do any lasting damage. I was a bit mad about our turkey. It looked great and tasted fine but when DH was cutting it up for leftovers there was one section that was all red and bloody! I even tested the temperature in numerous places. Yuck. So now he thinks we should heat up all the leftovers. Well, I ate some today in a LC turkey salad wrap that I didn't heat up. That is the only thing I wanted. Hopefully I don't get some horrid food poisoning over the next couple of days! I also make turkey broth and turkey soup with a lot of the meat and had that for supper. Seemed the easiest thing to do. Still have 2.5 quarts of broth left for later that I'll freeze. I hope the turkey we have frozen turns out better. I think I'll butterfly that one. Went to see a movie and did only a little shopping today, DH's bday is tomorrow so I am going to attempt an LC angel food cake, which is his favorite and he hasn't had in over a year. Hope you have a great weekend.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #1687
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I have had to adapt low-carb to my vegetarian lifestyle. I take more carbs than I used to when I was on Atkins because now I eat a lot more legumes. But as long as I measure my servings and chart my carbs daily, I can stay low-ish and still lose weight. I definitely lose weight faster when I am eating only eggs for protein. But I have found that adapting the plan to work for me is the only thing that really works.

Using software to log and chart all my nutrients is the secret, for me. And having good support from friends on this site.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #1688
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Nikki, welcome.

MISTI---on that angel cake. when ya make it let me know how it comes out. I have been on the verge of making one also. just never got to it yet.

that turkey.....there was a year we had that problem also. stupid thing was cooked everywhere but under that leg area on one side. hmm. we ate it and survived LOL skipped the worst spots. I hope you come thru it ok

for me guys I am DOWN 2 LBS. Wee. 2 lbs of bloat. of course these are 2 of the 4.5 I have to lose again it is cool. I stuck LC all the way yesterday and will do so today. had my bacon today!! bacon is magic for me. holds my hunger a very long time.
so 2.5 more to lose from the holiday and then I can work on getting a few 'real' lbs off.

My DD is in a parade today!! She joined cheerleading and it is funny as heck. all little kids up to 12 years old. all ages and she is 8 and with her friends who joined also. they TRY so hard to cheer. bless their hearts HAHA but today she rides in a float in the Christmas parade in town. she is thrilled. So I will go and be proud of my little darling!

oh, Blue, I changed drinking to rum and diet pepsi. Honestly it makes a difference. I had no bloat that the beers gives me (well soda did a bit but not the same as nasty beer) and I had less drinks cause the rum kinda kicked in fast. So all in all a change out was well worth it. glad you kept suggesting changes. vodka is next on the list to try. the ones you recommended. that might be my Christmas drink this year

all have a good day and hope it is wonderful!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #1689
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know what possessed me but I was on the Main board answering on all kinds of threads WOW but I guess I am in a LC kind of mood today
Old 11-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #1690
Major LCF Poster!

Nikki. Hope you drop by often. We're a nice little group here, lots of encouragement and laughs. And it would be very interesting for me to see
how you do low carb as a vegetarian. I bet you have some good dishes that would be interesting to hear about.

Misti---My mouth waters at the mention of Angel Food cake. It has always been my fave, with my mom's butter cream frosting and strawberries on top. Yummers. By request, that was my birthday cake, every single year growing up. Let us know how the LC version works. You are very good about trying to adapt foods we love to Low carb, and seem to have a lot of success at it. Hope your hubby has a lovely birthday!

Trigger---Good news on 2 pounds bloat down, 2 to go. Another day or two, gone. Getting right back on plan makes it possible to enjoy a holiday w/out too much sacrifice, and then keep on keepin' on. How fun that your kiddo was in a Xmas parade today. Bet you were clicking your phone camera like mad. That's one of the best things about the holidays, imo,---the memories we make for our kids so they can carry on with theirs, and theirs and theirs.

A bit of left over artichoke dip and cauli for lunch, and I do mean a bit, and so far that's it. No appetite today, although looking forward to dinner. We're having our great pals/neighbors down for chicken wings, cheesy rice and broccoli salad, w/pumpkin pie for dessert. Hubby's chicken wings and homemade blue cheese sauce are a neighborhood favorite, and I must say, BWW's as good as they are can't hold a candle to his. I'll be skipping the cheesy rice and pie of course, maybe some blackberries, splenda and cream for me, if I feel like it.

We've got a big fire going and I've lit all our candles in the living room. Plus I bought the most gorgeous white lantern light today, in the shape of a vase with white birch trees and red cardinals on it, SO pretty and cozy w/the tree, and something that will work all winter. I honestly enjoy the pre-holiday nights as much as the actual thing.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #1691
Major LCF Poster!

Oh and one more thing---good work Trigger on the rum drinks. Yes, they get the job done a lot faster, LOL. But also nice to sip instead of glug down. For me, I just hate drinking my carbs, would much rather eat them. When you move on to the vodka drinks try my LC vodka gimlet. A splash of roses lime juice, a dash of splenda and lots of ice. Two drinks for 3 to 4 carbs instead of 10 for 2 glasses of wine, which has a way into turning into 3 glasses over an evening of entertaining...and I'm done at 2 of these! Some nights it's just a vodka martini and no carbs. I love a good red wine but now it's just a now and then treat on a holiday.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #1692
Major LCF Poster!

I agree Blue on Christmas. I enjoy the nights leading up to it also. I went shopping with kiddo and she got a giant plastic crystal Gingerbread man. He lights up with different colors. I have it on the sideboard next to the tree. it adds so much color and fun to the holidays. Your candle sounds beautiful. I like things like this in my house also

hubbys chicken wings sound great! I ate buffalo wings last night at pizza place. we went out with my kid's friend and daughter. I scraped 2 slices of cheese pizza and ate 8 chicken wings. MAN I LOVE THEM. all lc on plan. everyone else of course walked out stuffed to the gills, I glided out, LOL I would love to get some of your hubbys wings

that is a big diff on those carbs with drinks. I never really thought about truly controlling carbs in drinks. Now I know it has to happen. gimlet will be made here. I gotta try it now.

down .5 on the scale. sodium I guess but I know I will do fine. LC day planned. everything is kinda back to simple today. whew. days leading up to holidays can be so hectic with just 'stuff'. so today is laundry, some work, relax, eat a ton of bacon in a bit and very very simple dinner. meatloaf and veg.

hang in everyone!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #1693
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I bet the kiddo will remember that ginger bread man long into her adulthood. That's the way it is with Xmas, the magic is so much in our memories of being young and full of excitement about the holidays and knowing that feeling when we see it in our kids.

Nice job at the pizza place. Wish I could do the scraping off the pizza thing, but I just love it with the crust too much, so it's better I stay away from it, except for my LC pizzas/quesadillas, which aren't as good as the real thing, but at least I can have a bottom to it all, LOL.

I've got a touch of the end of the holiday blues tonight. Can't believe it's gone so fast and too soon it's back to work. I have a HUGE presentation tomorrow and butterflies are already starting to flutter in my stomach. The upside of that is that I'm not feeling hungry at all.

Had a couple of left over chicken wings for lunch, and will have more for dinner, with some left over broccoli salad. Never did have any dessert last night, and did well on plan. I'm in one of those great times I just don't have a big appetite.

187.1 on the scale this am. Welcome to my new bounce territory I tell myself. Between 187 and 190. Haven't seen 190 for a week or so, but not counting it down. It's just the way I lose. Can't wait to see 186, if only for a day.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #1694
Major LCF Poster!

The pizza tops are just fine with me. I am so lucky that the tops of pizza make me feel like I am eating the whole thing. I look at the crust I throw away with digust actually I don't think I will ever eat the crust of pizza again in my life. I just see a giant blob of white flour and tons of carbs. I've grown to fear carbs like that. Kinda like useless dead food.

Yea I got that reaction about Thanksgiving being over. Just a lull. Going from relaxing fun to BACK TO work and having that let down. Thing is Christmas is coming up fast and we can have more fun in the near future

Good deal on that scale. Your body is loving lc. It shows now with you having some good drops and the 90s will be a thing of the past!!

for me, I am doing 2 days of meat/eggs. Joined the little group on the main board.
I think they are 'going for it' but 2 days is it for me. I try for that 3rd day but I have to have a salad or veg by then. So yesterday was bacon, chicken wings and small piece of lc meatloaf. But last night I jumped on a few oreo cookies. Yea, I know. but I doubt they hurt me. Today will be burgers for lunch and dinner with a bit of cheese and a few chicken wings if needed. I can't do burgers without cheese

and we will see where this gets me on the scale.

ah man, it is monday I have asked hubby time and time again lets just move to the beach. he hasn't taken me up on it just yet!! My parents are way older so I know I could never move just yet, but boy I am daydreaming about a big life change. Pack it in and move and live simple and more freedom. I guess we all dream about that! Lately I am craving for a change. A big one. Hasn't happened yet but I am trying to get something to change around here. You know, shake up life a bit

well, we shall see what that might be down the road.

everyone have fun today !!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #1695
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---good luck with the meat and eggs. I could do it one day, maybe like you, two. After that, no. But I may try a 2 dayer at some point. Seems I remember you have done this before? Does it work for you? And then when you go back to not just meat and eggs, does the loss stick? That's my thing. I can think of ways to make the scale drop faster, it's just that I can't maintain that, and why suffer for even 2 days if it's not going to stick. Of course nothing sticks for bouncing Blue, LOL.

Oh boy, to live on the beach or very near by...what joy. I'm a water person, always happy around water, be it a lake, river or ocean. That's what they say about we Cancers...water sign. I can look out at water and get lost in it, in a good way. Interesting to hear you talk about wanting change, and that's a BIG one. You guys have, from what I can tell, a pretty comprehensive spread out there in NC and a lifestyle that sounds pretty good. It's all a trade off, isn't it?

Well, bounced up to 189.1 from 187 today. Now I gotta say, that both my carbs and calories have been on the low side since Thanksgiving, and other than that day, they were for many days before. So, sometimes I think, there's just no rhyme or reason to it. It's water weight and all kinds of complicated things, including that for me, it seems the weight is dropping slower the more weight I lose, as many comment on here. I'm not discouraged about it, it is what it is, and it will take what it takes. I'm not done. I want to lose at least another 20 pounds, 25-30 would be nice, but may not be realistic. But those 20 pounds are GOING, one way or the other. SO there.

Couple of breakfast sausages w/cheese for lunch. Chicken and zoodles/sauteed onions for dinner, maybe some berries and cream for dessert---I have grown to love this as much as any pie or cake or ice cream.

Presentation went good today, just glad it's over, and it's Monday night---which I think can as pleasant as Monday mornings can be daunting. Just good to get your feet in the water and get into the week!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #1696
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry Trig, I meant SC. You know, I've always wanted to visit the Outer Banks, I think just north of you? Read a lot about it, including one of my fave books that takes place there called "The Outer Banks," by Anne Rivers Siddons. If you want a good story that takes place on these islands, this is it. Page turning and fun!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #1697
Major LCF Poster!

Hello ladies! Finally back after a busy weekend. The LC angel food cake ("healthified' from the Maria Health blog) was very good. DS even liked it and he rejects a lot of LC foods. Sounds like the normal bouncing is here for all of us?! I am up today to 212. Blurg. Not really sure why. I feel smaller so hopefully I am retaining water and will get a whoosh.

Glad to hear your presentation went well Blue. I have the end of semster work stress coming up. Will be over in 3 weeks though for the most part. Trigger, I may need to join in on the meat and eggs thing. I'll give it a couple more days and see what happens. Otherwise I'll just chug along. Got our Chrismtas tree up tonight and I got some shopping done this weekend, at least.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #1698
Major LCF Poster!

Gloomiest day ever here, snowy, slushy, drizzly and dark. So happy it was a work at home day, got a lot done, nice and cozy. Big storm brewing over much of the country I hear. Hope it holds off through tomorrow, a downtown day for me, and oh the traffic when it snows!

Misti---Bummer that you have to close the semester down and all that stress just as the holidays go into full gear. That's a lot going on. At least your tree is up and some shopping is done, the faster that's out of the way, the more I can actually enjoy the holidays.

Speaking of which, I did 80% of my Xmas shopping on line on Cyber Monday. Got some good deals and almost all free shipping, plus I got very fun gifts for folks. And boy, does it feel good to have most of it done. Although as always, it will end up being more than I think still to do, but one day out w/hubby should finish it off. We really enjoy one day of shopping in our neighborhood, which is full of fun shops, and we love to pick a fave place for lunch and a break. If I get a whole holiday season without going to a mall I'm happy.

188.4 this am. Up, down. But like you Misti, I feel what Trigger calls that "thinner" thing.
Really have my eye on my midriff these days, which has way slimmed down, but which is also the place I still need to slim down the most. Still, compared to last year at this time, it's amazing the difference.

Steamed artichoke for lunch, will have a cheese burger on TJ LC bread for dinner. Having cheeseburgers a lot lately, tasting so good to me and so easy, and hubby loves it because he's really busy w/his business right now, and happy to not have to fuss w/cooking. He's really beginning to see some benefits w/a wife who is cooking more, even if she doesn't put everything back exactly where it's supposed to go. He's VERY organized. Me not so much. A bit of a whirling dervish, I am!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #1699
Major LCF Poster!

Misti, it stinks you are gearing up for working harder the next 3 weeks! but of course it will be worth it in the end. we do what we gotta do hold the line, the scale will go down. it does with we stay lc all the way baby.

Blue, I am NC. We hit the SC coast alot cause it is only a 5 hr drive.
our farm in NC we shut down. We farmed and sold for over 15 years. We are tired now. the farm work was on top of 'real jobs' so when my one and only kiddo came along at age 43 I decided it was time to shut down the hard farm work Now we have land doing nothing which is a killer for a farmer drives us crazy. But we put 100 acres up for sale and are keeping about 40 acres for kiddo. The best part of the land, While I loved my horses, goats, chickens, crops etc., it was time. it is backbreaking and the older ya get the worse it hurt the old back. But we had a great time doing that but the shut down was wonderful. my free time shot up so much I didn't know what to do with myself. Now I keep looking toward the next phase. Hit the beach and relax. Travel more in the RV. Maybe find a nice coastal town to settle. All gearing now toward early retirement and a fun life. I hope we can get it all arranged that way anway

Meat and eggs is great way to drop some fast lbs. but you have to eat clean about 2-3 days after to really set in the loss. I love it but can't handle it long. veggies come into play for me in my meals so giving those up is a bit hard. but any time you do 'a trick to help drop some lbs on the scale' you really gotta try hard the next days to lock it in. so that 2-3 days really becomes 5-6 of 'trying very hard'.

I got a whopper of a sinus headache. rainy here with snow over the weekend predicted. UGH My head got it bad. totally blocked, achy, woozey, and miserable. taking my normal drugs as usual. don't feel like doing anything.

haven't even stepped on a scale. I should see a nice drop when I decide to get on it I think. not eating too much right now. for some reason I am getting sick of the scale.

Blue, keep on cooking but don't drive your hubby crazy LOL put things back where they belong HAHA

off to get stuff done. moving very slow today.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #1700
Major LCF Poster!

Home at last! Driving was a mess and very slippery. Been snowing all day. But it's so good to come home to our pretty Xmas tree. We have 7 windows in our living room, bungalow style, and now that I'm not on the road, sitting here on my sofa and writing this, it's so lovely---snow falling in every window, twinkly warm Xmas inside.

Trigger---It's so cool to hear about your former farm, and your dreams for the future. Blue's vote: Yes! To the beachside town. Man, I would love that. But it would challenge me something fierce to leave family and friends here. Yet when I graduated from college, leaving many loved ones behind, I came here for a job, didn't know a soul. But it bloomed for me into a life now hard to leave. New is exciting, old is heartwarming, always with the choices in life!

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly, take good care of yourself.

Holding steady at 188.4 and I'll take it, so rare I weigh the same two days in a row. Greek salad for lunch, not sure about dinner. Been not particularly hungry for days. Or maybe the better way to say it is food is just not a focus.
The more days I get like that, the better I like it. Thank you LC.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #1701
Major LCF Poster!

When food is NOT the focus of the day, I always count that as a great lc day

I love that feeling. I noticed also that food focus feeling is coming less and less and my days of 'craving and thinking hard' about old foods I miss are way down.

again, time on plan really helps me. longer and longer I go things do change for the better.

SNOW? YUCK. I also hate driving in it. I was a northern gal for a while and the PA snow was horrible. I remember those extra extra long drives crawling home praying when I started to slide off the road! bleck. your home sounds beautiful. And you sound so comfortable

as much as I want it right NOW, I won't be moving soon. just obligations have us caught now but believe me I dream, and if possible, will be moving up that deadline for hitting the coast for life.

Sinus still hanging on. rainy outside. only possible snow day is some flakes on saturday. no biggie on this forecast. being nc we are spared snow, but in Jan/Feb we got those stupid ice storms that reek havoc. so hopefully those won't even come.

I feel thinner so I like that but haven't hit the scale yet. just plugging along, eating lc all the way and off meat and eggs. did my 2 days and a giant salad for lunch today.

busy busy so off to get a bunch done and will check in later. everyone enjoy the day and be safe out there.

Last edited by Trigger828; 12-05-2013 at 03:25 AM..
Old 12-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #1702
Major LCF Poster!

Oh baby, it's cold outside! Single digits here today, don't even want to know the wind chill temp. Luckily it was a work at home day, and so is tomorrow when it is supposed to be even colder. But I'll have to venture out tomorrow night, we have a holiday party to go to.

Trigger---Good to take a break from the scale, particularly when you feel lousy anyway. Just enjoy that feeling thinner thing for now. That usually means some fat is gone, even if the water weight is playing hanky panky w/the scale. Good going on the meat and eggs thing for 2 days. That sounds like forever to me as I really depend on variety in my food, even when I'm not way hungry. I guess if I ever stall longer than 6 weeks I'll try it to get things going again, but short of that it's really unappealing to me.

Misti---had my first Atkins bar today, the coconut almond, and it was good. I do wonder how the sugar alcohols in these will effect me. I use Splenda a bit and have a diet coke or two a day. Other than that, I don't have much experience with SAs. I know they effect some and not others, but I'm assuming they don't effect your weight loss. Would love to hear your feelings on this.

Had a cheeseburger for lunch on just one slice of TJ's LC Bread. Probably a JJs unwich for dinner. Hubby is working and I don't feel like cooking anything. Holding steady again today at 188.4, think it's time for a higher calorie day or two. Tomorrow night we have a holiday party, so I think that'll be a good time to eat more, staying LC of course.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #1703
Major LCF Poster!

Hello! Sorry to be MIA. Work is busy and when I get home I don't feel like posting much. Still eating LC but not stressing about exactly what at this point. Weight is creeping down, I was at 210.6 today. Not my lowest low, but pretty good. Blue, I had an Atkins bar today too at work because I was hungry. I try to limit them to 1-2 times a month. They don't seem to affect me at that frequency. My husband eats them more often and he has pretty much stalled out at this point. But he also snacks a ton (including other LC candies with SA) so I don't know exactly what the root cause of his issue is. Trigger, sounds like you are doing great with the LC but sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope it clears up soon. Have you tried using a saline sinus rinse (neti pot or similar - I use a squeeze bottle by NeilMed)? It is cold here, don't know how I will survive the winter this year. I put some silk long underwear on my Christmas wish list tonight. I've gotten all the shopping for my son done, but not much else. Progress, I guess.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #1704
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals. Beautiful day here, really. Sunny and bright, but yeah, darn cold. Still, if you bundle up, it's good walking weather. Invigorating. And I want to want to, but actually, I'm headed for the sofa w/my book, LOL. Yay Friday!

Misti---I somehow missed your 210 number, so this is great news. Weight that "creeps" down is just the same as the weight that falls off faster, except the former takes more patience on our parts.

Thankfully, although I liked the Atkins bar, it wasn't so delicious that I'll be tempted to overdo, just good enough to scratch an itch now and then. Thanks for mentioning how many you eat a month, that's helpful. Good news on getting all your shopping for your son done! A bit at a time and it all gets done in time.

187.7 this AM, and I was very happy to see it again. Was thinking this AM that I've lost 10 lbs since I came home from Cartagena---not including the lbs of bloat I had to lose in my first week back. Left for Cartagena at 197. So that was 3 months ago, and just under
a lb a week, which seems pretty close to my usual rate of loss since I began. It was good to look at this because I've been thinking I'm losing slower lately, when really I'm pretty much on schedule. 40 weeks on plan since I began, 37 pounds down.

This allows me to better see what's realistic to set for my goals. So I'm hoping for 185 by Christmas. that's 3 weeks away and equals a bit less than a pound a week loss. I don't feel the need to alter anything so much, or speed this up, when I look at the big picture. Just going to keep on keeping on the way that's been working.

Off to a party tonight, one of our favorite parties of the year. It will be lots of different app type dishes, with plenty of LC choices. Lots of fun, this one.

Happy Friday gals!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #1705
Major LCF Poster!

Misti, weight creeping down is a good thing any weight off during holiday season is fine because most find this time hard and usually a gain happens so you just keep on doing what you are doing. I do the sinus rinse. it helps a bit. our weather just stinks. we have rain over the next 3-4 days (with possible icy conditions) so the pressure changes on those storms just cause me headaches. eh, usual for me and I survive. I hear ya on the silk thermals to keep warm. I am to where the cold just shuts me down. hot weather gal here!

Blue you are doing well also. Stay the course as usual and any goals you set for yourself will be met! Give us a report on your party!

I lost wifi for a day and 1/2. man oh man that drove me nutso!! came back on early this morning.

today is my birthday. a whooping 52 years old went out to eat Thurs night for early b-day dinner for all you can eat crablegs. they were delish but very salty this time. yesterday I bloated up, drank tons of water as usual, and this morning my 'thinner' feeling is back. haven't hit the scale. just avoiding it and so far I am doing fine. gonna give it a bit before jumping on and see if the loss is decent.

all good just seems to be getting busier and crazy as usual for me this time of year.

woke up with that not hungry at all feeling so I think I can get thru the day very easily.

everyone hang in there. we are getting this done and even if slowly, just think by spring how much more we will have lost
Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #1706
Major LCF Poster!

Happy birthday Trigger!!!! I wish you a wonderful year ahead, and a slimmer one of course. And I'm hoping you're feeling much better today, and can enjoy your birthday.

Good Lord, endless rain, sinus issues, salty crab legs and WI-FI disconnection---what a little tornado of irritations. So I'm thinking you're well due a lovely day, and hoping you get one.

And on your note about how much less we'll weigh by spring, I now have even more motivation to make it be so. I'm going to San Diego in early March for a long weekend, to meet up with all my best old gal pals from my growing up years. One of them I've known since we were 8 and the other three since we were 11. Although we live in four different places, we've all hung in there w/each other over all these years. So it will be lots of fun.

These gals are all slim jimettes. They all exercise like crazy, unlike moi. They haven't seen me since I've lost this weight, and I haven't mentioned it in e-mails or phone calls, so I'm looking forward to surprising them. They're very supportive women and will be so happy to see me healthier and happier
about it. I'm excited to have this new source of inspiration and motivation and so looking forward to hugging up my old pals. We share so many memories---great to be w/those who were your "witnesses" to it all, and totally understand where you're coming from.

The party last night was a blast. It is given every year by an art director I've worked with for years and his partner. They have the most stunning Xmas tree I have ever seen. It is just indescribable, but that won't stop me from trying, LOL. 9 feet tall, loaded with the most gorgeous ornaments you've ever seen, and the whole thing rotates. I look forward to seeing it every year. Lots of fun people and good food.

And on that note, did ok but not great. Snarfed up 4 or 5 breaded jalape˝os and meatballs that tasted like their was a fair amt of sugar in the sauce. Otherwise LC, but a bit too much of it. Figure I was in at between 40 and 50 carbs yesterday. Not horrible, and I felt like I was in need of a higher calorie day, so this was it.

Bounced up this am, not surprised, drinking lots of water today. Out to dinner
with my brother and my mother tonight. Going to order a nice salad I think, in the mood for lighter after last night.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #1707
Major LCF Poster!

well good news is that my head is better even if it is still raining outside, that pressure is gone right now , wifi back up and working well so that disaster is over, salt from legs is gone after pushing some water

yea all seems back in gear.

I love when I see those 'special' christmas trees with the fancy ornaments. I bet it was beautiful! My thing now is when driving around at night I search for all the houses that are lit up. I love outdoor lights also! Having fun watching them starting to pop up as everyone gets their lights outside.

I also like lighter foods after a heavier day. Seems I crave that more and more. eating more simple and light. guess that is a good thing coming from this lc journey.

holidays get tiring with the 'food!!' hubby wanted to take me out last night I said no. I had my crableg dinner (and alot of them) but I just wanted lighter food. no more eating out for a bit. I crave my good lc meals. just sometimes all the activities get in the way and ya sway a bit when you don't really want to. I hate those days food just gets in the way.

off to mom and dads at the lake in a bit for my ice cream cake birthday oh yea. one piece of course but I told her no foods. just a bit of the ice cream cake is good enough for me other than that easy day. back porch was slippery, kinda icy. boy oh boy my head is into spring right now!!!! and a smaller swim suit!!

lets all keep pushing the water. it sure helps alot!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #1708
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger, glad to hear you're feeling better and are "back in gear." And I agree, food gets in the way too often during the holidays. We can say no most of the time, but not all of the time. Because it's there, and everyone's having fun, and there you go down the rabbit hole. In that sense, I'm looking forward to boring old January, less parties and eating out, more home cooking and clean carb. So much easier, and feels good.

Glad you're having a bit of ice cream birthday cake. Sad thing when the birthday girl has to say no to that. That's why they call it a treat, because it's something that doesn't happen often, right?

Did very well out last night, three pieces of lightly breaded calamari were my only carbs for the day. Otherwise I had an asian salad with chicken, pork, and hard boiled eggs in it and a delishy light asian vinegerette. Not over 20 carbs for the day, probably under.

So my reward for that was to wake up to two more pounds up. 2 yesterday, 2 today, puts me back up at 191. SIGH. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I would bounce up to 190 again before I see 186. This up and down the same patch of road is boring but just the way my body lets go of fat, and what Phinney and Volek (Art and Science of LC Living) say is the range of water weight fluctuation---4 pounds. So we really never know if the fat is going by the scale. Not very possible to gain 4 pounds in 4 days of real weight, even upping your calories and carbs a bit.

So as Trigger advised and as a poster said in the ML this AM, "Drink water like a camel!" Made me laugh, and I'm on it! Challenging day for food today because we're out of so much and I don't want to go out to the grocery store. Feeling very lazy. So we'll see.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #1709
Major LCF Poster!

hmmm. that salad sounds delish. asian chicken and pork. now that is eating good

one of the things I hate is the 'delay' up lbs. yea, you eat a bit and just know it will hit and then ya kinda say, hey it wasn't so bad, then WHAMMO on the 2nd day it shows up on the scale. sneaky sneaky. but you are right. these are not real fat gains so we have to not let them effect us so much...but enough to keep us on the right track.

ice cream cake was super delish. ice cream YUM. All thru this lc journey I lost my taste for alot of things. easy to give up. ice cream IS NOT one of them I am so thankful I don't buy it anymore. when kiddo and hubby want some they get it out at an ice cream store as a treat. cause if it is in the house I am going to jump on it at some point

I actually am looking forward to after the holiday. just because of the food situations. so much easier when the parties, fun etc. is not around on a daily basis. simple meals. I am craving them alot more right now.

I will hit the scale in about 3 days. going to eat very lc clean and light and then see where I stand. I know it won't be bad but it won't be the lbs. I was hoping to LOSE. probably standing still but that is ok. I am doing it my way. Slower than most, but getting it accomplished little by little
Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #1710
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals, checking back in today because I'm so happy I got off my lazy butt and went to the grocery store to replenish LC stock. As a result I had one of my new fave yummy lunches---romaine heart leaves, a squirt of mayo down the spine, crispy bacon and tomato slices tucked in, roll the leaf around it all. I tried doing this a different way, adding shredded cheese and premixing ingredients into a spread, and it just wasn't as good. This was SO good. Cruncy, tangy, lemony, crispy. Amazingly don't miss the bread with this BLT LC version.

And Trigger---I agree w/what you always say, that bacon really fills you up. I've not been having as much of it lately, and I kind of forgot. But I had four "leaf BLTs" 3 hours ago and still not in the least hungry. Another funny note on the bacon thing---hubby loves the really meaty thick bacon, gets his fave from a butcher in his home town. Loves to rave about how much less fat and more meat his has. But I really prefer the thin cut, fattier bacon. Gets so much more crispy and crunchy, and that texture is something we always need more of on a LC woe, imo. So hubby is a bit crestfallen that I'm all over this fattier, cheaper bacon, compared to his opinion of what's prize winning in the bacon category. I just tell him, more of your favorite for you, darlin'.

I also made the LC jello/cream cheese/berry/pecan crust dessert I've mentioned here before. Holy moly, it is so good. 2.5 net carbs per square serving from a 9X9 pan, which is a nice chunk. Today I used black cherry SF jello and frozen blackberries w/the cream cheese mix in. YUM. The crust is the best being pulverized pecans, butter, the sweetner of your choice and a pinch of salt. It bakes up like one big cookie and then you spread the jello/cream cheese/berry mix on top and let it set. I add whipped cream, fresh blackberries and a sprinkle of more roasted pecans on top. Had a tiny piece to taste, and will have a larger piece for dessert tonight.

Next up in this never cooked before gal's journey will be that same crust with a LC cheese cake recipe.

Dinner will be just a steamed artichoke because not hungry for more, and knowing I have this delishy dessert waiting will make it a very good LC day. More and more I'm convinced that I need to keep pushing myself to create more and better LC foods.

SO GLAD I acted as if I had energy to do all this, and in doing that, I had a much more interesting and productive day, and I'm eating much better than my other plan, which was to order a Jimmy John's Unwhich. They're great, but don't want to wear them out, and my fave, the nightclub, I think has a fair amt of salt in it, and I'm a bit tired of water retention.

Trigger, I really get what you're saying about that second day bounce up, and maybe it's all good because yes, it does send us scurrying back to better LC eating, real fat gain or not. And LOL ice cream to you is bread to me, the things we miss the most.

Anyhow, hope you guys are all cozy and settled in for a nice Sunday evening. Can't believe how fast the weekend has gone, again.
Closed Thread