Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #1651
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Misti, I think there is a few beers that are 'low carb' but it doesn't beat a light beer by much. I like Natural Light Beer and it is 3.6 carbs per beer. 90 cals. So if I drink 4-5 I come in at about 20 carbs tops. it is the alcohol in it that nails me and it is made from grains obviously so I bloat. the alcohol stops weight loss on me most times. I was on a LC site a long time ago and the lc person stated that beer was one of the absolute worst drinks in the world for lc. eh, I still haven't gotten it thru my head yet It might be time to put it down and change like Blue mentioned. A vodka drink to sip. Beer I can knock down fast, liquor drinks I go slower. Maybe it is time to face facts! I gotta think on this. I mean I put down bread, pasta, etc. for good---now it is time to address this probably. So much to change ya know. It is time to change this pattern I think for me.

Blue, I used to do bacon in the oven like you said. But I miss something in the taste. I can't explain it but frying it on the stove has better flavor for me. Hubby showed me the oven fry and I do it now and then, but stove fry gives me something more that I can't seem to give up.

WOW on the HHHmmm. LOL. Some can't ever give in at all. It is their loss tho. The older I get the more I could care less about how someone reacts about things in my life. As long as nothing negative is said to me, then it is all cool. They do their thing, I do mine. It is good you can laugh at it all, I would also.

andyour birthday club sounds like a great group of friends. ones that support you and lets you know that your decisions to get healthier was the right thing to do and they gave you compliments! So encouraging! You sound like you are walking on cloud 9! Good for you! Inspiring story Blue. I love it.

You know in general all, I always make it more about losing weight. I guess it is more about the journey of it all, the menu changes that can be so hard to handle long term, the finding replacement foods that work for us to keep the weight loss happening and we are satisfied, and keeping the faith that lc long term can be achieved, our goals met and our lives changed forever.

3 musketeers will get this done

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #1652
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Trigger---it IS about the "journey of it all" and so happy to be on it with you. And yes, it's finding all those things that satisfy on a LC woe, and you know, they really are endless, I believe. Like the lunch I had the other day. Crisp romaine lettuce leaves, core filled w/mayo, then bacon, tomato and hard boiled eggs. I know it's kind of the same old things in a way, and yet, boy did this taste great to me, and somehow different than a salad w/the same things in it. I could eat these by hand, one lettuce leave at a time. I had three and I was very full and satisfied.

Next thing I'm experimenting with is a good artichoke dip to be had with cauliflower florets. Lots of crunch in cauliflower that makes up for the bread or crackers. You know Trig, there are SO MANY ways to rearrange and enjoy the many foods available to us on LC!

Also, I do encourage you to find a vodka drink you like. You can buy diet tonic, and have a vodka tonic with a squeeze of lime---this you can drink a couple of w/out getting loopy, as you might w/a vodka martini---I love those but have to tread carefully, certainly not something you can throw back. Also I do a LC vodka gimlet I LOVE. Vodka, a splash of splenda, and a half teaspoon of Roses Lime Juice, over LOTS of ice. I can sip on this for quite awhile, virtually no carbs, except for 1 carb for the lime juice.

Well, good thing I was so happy and optimistic last night, because I bounced up 2 pounds this morning, back up to 193.4. Do you guys think that the longer we do LC, the more sensitive we become to any carbs? The more they bounce us up? Because I was really good last night, outside of 3 small bites of dessert, and that was on top of a very LC day.

Whatever. I'm more determined than ever. I tell myself if I'm going to feast on anything it should be patience.

Today I had a huge styling day, LOTS of energy expended, hoping it will show up on the scale tomorrow. Had a JJ's tuna club unwhich for lunch. A brat on a SL LC bun for dinner, and a scoop of my husband's excellent "baked beans" made w/black soy beans and he's figured out how to make them so yummy.

More than ever, I'm ignoring the bounce ups, enjoying the fit of clothes I love, and knowing I'm going to do this, get better and better at it, and slimmer and healthier. When? Not sure, but day by day it's going to happen.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #1653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue, I so agree with the experimenting. It is the only way I can survive long term. to find decadent subs for many tastes I want. So far I am doing it! I am finding ways to work lc into the old meal tastes I loved. Gotta keep at it tho. every time I crave a new taste sensation, I know I need a lc way to do it.

Thanks for the drink info. I think beer is going to have to become part of my past. which is ok. heck I can change LOL I mean I gotta do what I gotta do.

Hooray for me. Down a lb. AT LEAST IT IS FINALLY moving down. I got lazy with amt of foods and that stupid beer but a few days on better lc and whammo, down I went a lb. Will take it

went out to eat at japanese. so easy. just got steak tips and mushrooms and ate a few of the carrots and no rice on the plate. yummy actually. Hubby wanted it so I said sure. I came thru it fine.

---the longer we do this the more sensitive we are to carbs? YES---I think this way definitely. I know I could eat a few higher carb foods and NOT GAIN instantly before I started eliminating carbs. I think when in ketosis, the body then doesn't know what to do--burn fat or burn glucouse? I mean we ate alot of carbs and then the body is thrown into a jingle of what way to turn. I think the more we go 'on and off lc' is not good for us in the long run. I know I don't do this all the time---but I should stay at --say 30-40 tops nc---to lose, and in maintaince I should be about 50-60 tops. I think if we pick our poison, we should stick with it constantly. the more we monkey with goes down the gullet, the more screwed up our systems become. consistency seems best for me. at least the scale kinda tells me that

any of that make sense LOL because when I do what I should be doing, it works great and I lose...when I monkey a bit too much I gain up and it becomes harder to lose that little gain also. if lc long, then I go off a bit, I can then lose that gain FAST....a day. Now it seems that little gain is taking me 2-3-4 days to lose. hmmm. I might be doing myself in kinda.

HEY GUYS---ALL MY shopping is done for Xmas except a few stocking stuffers. I rock LOL so glad it is over. time to relax and enjoy the holiday season coming without thinking about stupid shopping!!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #1654
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---Indeedy, HOORAY FOR YOU! This is so great. Every pound gone is a victory, even if it bounces up again. It's all just our bodies dealing with the complexities of water weight and fat weight. The scale IS good at predicting a downward trend, even if it takes awhile to get there, and you just got a great prediction!

Interesting to hear you too feel more of a carb sensitivity the longer on LC. Not surprising I guess. Still, imo, we make the tweaks/changes we do, VERY carefully, and always keeping in mind we have to live this way forever to be effective at our best hopes. So, maybe sometimes it takes a bit longer to reach goal or lose pounds. I just know that the longer I'm on this woe, the more comfortable I feel on it, and the more I explore new ways of doing it.

I WON'T cut out everything willy nilly---not dairy, not tomatoes or onions or berries or all those things I need to have now and then, if this is going to be a lifestyle. My weight will learn to adjust to these things, even if it's slower. I have a friend whose been doing LC for a year, losing slowly, but she looks great. She swears slow is better at our age, time for the skin to adapt, and slowly shrink in, as opposed to fast weight loss where the skin is left to just collapse, and everything that comes with that.

Nice day of work at home. Got my Xmas tree today via Fed Ex, after much shopping and thought. It's different, going a bit untraditional this year, won't bore ya'll with it, except to say, I love tradition, but sometimes it weighs you down and you feel the need to try something different and break out. We're doing that this year regarding Xmas, to a degree, and I'm excited about it.

Had my new fave, my home made BLT unwich for lunch. Tonight will have my version of a LC patty melt. I fry the burgers with Worcestershire and mustard, then add a couple of slices of cheese and cover till melted. Then I add onions I've already fried to toasted Trader Joe's LC sprouted wheat bread---2 slices are 8 NCs. OMG, this is SO GOOD.

I am STILL often amazed at how well we can eat on LC, how yummy it can be!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #1655
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue, I am getting down that scale slowly. Not a jackrabbit on this weight loss like last time, but like you said, it gives me time to adapt truly. faster changes won't stick as hard with me. the longer I am lc the better I am going into maintenance.

I also am too old now to take this into a fantatic mode I can obsess over every single carb but I can't do that anymore cause it drives me bonkers. Like on the main board someone is worried about 3 carbs in a cough drop. Nope. That isn't me anymore. Like you I can't cut it all out, worry about 2-3 carbs over for the day, eat too restrictive. If that happens I will fail. Like you I am doing this MY way with the foods I like to have in my life. WE will get this done, well, duh, we are, even if slowly!!

Describe that ''untraditional'' Xmas tree to me. I am interested!! We don't 'do tradition' like we used to. We do whatever feels right that holiday season. Next Xmas I think we are going to do a week in Florida instead of the usual thing. Time to break out with me also LOL

and where is Misti? Get back here girl!!! lol bet she is busy!

got a bit of work today. not bad. hubby going off hunting this morning so I got a quiet day without him underfoot. easy eating today also. keeping foods way more simple. not in the mood to be weighed down with heavy meals and cooking. I love simple meals.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #1656
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Hi ladies. I'm here, you are right, I've been busy. Work is busy this week so no time to post at lunch, then by the time supper is over I am done with the computer for the day. I'm hanging in there, down to a new low of 211 today, 89 lbs. lost total in just about 1 year exactly. Pretty happy with that.

LOL, the cough drop thread Trigger. After reading that I ate a sugar-free cough drop, just because I could. I have been debating myself lately. On one hand I need to eat this way for the rest of my life, so what's the rush? If I eat too much LC foods and don't lose as much, oh well. On the other hand, I still feel very fat at my current weight and I would just like to get it all off already. This week I feel I am eating more and tracking less but I am still losing. So I guess the best we can do is deal with one day, or even one meal, at a time. Don't know about the carb sensitivity, Blue. I am really trying hard to avoid carbs altogether these days. I feel my net carbs have been lower even though I am eating more. Maybe that is what is showing on the scale.

Still jealous both of you are in the holiday spirit already. I have done nothing!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #1657
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals.

Trigger---Another LOL on the cough drop thing. I've seen worse there---the ones who warn about the carbs in eggs kill me, we're talking a third of a carb for one large egg, so you can have THREE for 1 carb. And lots of other carb nit picking that makes my eyes roll. I figure on any day I might have had a couple more carbs than I counted, big deal, just not going nuts over how many eggs or how much romaine lettuce I've eaten.

You asked about our tree. Well, we've always had the traditional green tree, colored lights and all our ornaments collected over the years. I love those ornaments and they'll be back, but this year I just felt like something different. I surprised the hell out of myself and got a flocked tree. Always thought they were so cheesy, but this one is lovely, just flocked on the tips so you still see the green, but it really looks like a snowy little tree. And it has all soft white LED lights which just look so pretty with the "snow." Then I got just round gold ornaments on line, pretty shiny glass ones, no overdone glitter, and these sweet little white birds with just a little sprinkle of sparkle on their wings, that you clip to the branches. So it's all white and gold with little birds here there and everywhere. I love it!!! Different and refreshing. Thought my son would scream, but he loves it too. And this year it didn't feel like a chore, since I'm the one who does it all. It was fun! And SO easy.

Misti---Wow, 89 pounds in a year is spectacular. My one year "anniversary" will be in February and I'll be happy if I've lost 50 pounds by then. And you're still motoring down right now it seems. But I understand that feeling of wanting it off now, and yet realizing that we gotta live and eat and enjoy and some days/weeks will be better than others. That's life, and we want to do t his for life. And I do think heavier calorie days can help when well timed, as long as it's all LC.

So I had a big shoot today, which means there's snacks around all day on the craft table. But I'm getting very good at avoiding the naughties. Just had a couple of slices of ham with swiss cheese for my snacks. We always order out lunch, and today I had bbq short ribs, which I split with the director, and spicy green beans. I used to have big carby lunches on shoots and feel so sluggish all afternoon. What a difference these days. Everyone else is complaining about how full they are and I'm still down right peppy. Still amazes me how much my life has changed on LC!

Steak for dinner with that nifty cream, garlic, onion and dill sauce that's so easy to make and so YUMMY. Maybe some left over "baked beans" that are black soybeans, onions and bacon, and also so delish.

Can't wait to climb in bed early with my new book, which I am loving. Good day. Hope it was for you guys too.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #1658
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

way to go Misti. new low and a huge weight loss for your anniversary! CONGRATS
I liked your post. You are so right. what is the rush? if we want to eat like this for life then why push yourself into a mental crazy mode over the lbs on the scale? so true!
Your still losing without putting a ton of extra effort into the process. Just eating clean. Seems to be working well for you! ---just eating clean works very well for me. When I just stay the lc course, enjoy my food, eat what I want of it, the scale eventually treats me well. I will keep all my energy and effort into eating cleaner and it works for me

You lost alot yet you still feel heavy. I know that feeling LOL hold the course. in the end that feeling will be gone. don't let it play mind games with ya!

HO HO HO...do you have the holiday spirit yet HAHA....it will hit soon. As soon as Thanksgiving is over most jump into that holiday spirit. Heck I still have to get my pumpkins off the front porch from Halloween. Gonna feed them to the goats.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #1659
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue the tree sounds fab! I am also the type that doesn't go bonkers over the 'old memory filled ornaments' we own. I love my tree to change alot. It usually doesn't but like you I am thinking of changing it up this year also. Hubby wants that snow tree so badly!! He loves the look. One year I did only bows. Red ones and white ones with glitter. A few bigger ones that were plaid with glitter. I loved the look of that tree. Not one of my old ornaments were on it. refreshing change for me lol
I love those pretty little birds that clip on the limbs.

I also am getting the into the way lc makes me feel daily. the carb sluggish days are over. I don't miss them one bit. Whenever we go out to eat everyone walks away from the table disgustingly stuffed and miserable. I could run a marathon I feel so good even after eating alot of food. That feeling is by far one of the things that is keeping me committed to lc.

You did real good at your shoot. It is becoming second nature without thinking hard about it to just keep our meals lc. It is happening for me now also. I am so much more at ease. I accepted my lc foods, am happy with them, learning ways to make my favs in lc and learning finally that I am getting thru phases of changing more and more with less stress.

We are doing great ladies. Truly. These little chats all help me so much!!!! They are personal to us. Real everyday feelings and observations and I value all of your thoughts immensely. You guys help me and I appreciate that!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #1660
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger, I can really hear a change in the tone of your posts. You are seriously on track! I can feel it, and also see it in other posts you've written on the board. Can't wait to see how much progress we all make in the next few months.

Weight is steady at 211 today. I'm still eating a lot but it is all low carb. I think I'm "hungrier" because it is getting colder. Had our first measurable snowfall (well under an inch though) last night. I assume you've had some snow too, Blue? Sounds like you've had a really good week. So glad today is Friday and next week is a short week. I hope to get a lot accomplished at work next week when it is relatively quiet.

Had a couple of people at work notice my weight loss last week and this week. They both want to know how I did it. One says LC is the only diet that works for her but she tends to fall off the wagon, so I told her we can be diet buddies if she likes. She may start after New Year's. So weird to think I started last year right before Thanksgiving but since my DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes I didn't feel it could wait. So glad I started this journey, and so glad I am sharing it here with you both of you! Hope we have some more fellow travelers pop in now and again too...
Old 11-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #1661
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I second Misti's words! There really is a huge difference in your posts these days. You're in the zone, which I define as enjoying being on LC, liking our meals and especially liking the way we FEEL. You have SO much spirit and it just makes me smile to see you apply it to feeling better and looking better. It's amazing what we can do when we put out minds to it---persistence wins the day---and I can hear you've set your mind to it right now.

I'm there now too, and reminding myself as the holidays begin, that carbs don't make me feel any better just because I'm eating them as Christmas carols play. This year I want to concentrate on making my home pretty and festive, organized and tidy because THAT makes me feel good and it's enjoyment that lasts longer than any carb fest. Plus it keeps me busy and focused on something besides food. Really working on consciously seeking non food rewards. Example: I think I need three of my hubby's Christmas cookies? (Lord, he's a good baker!) Clean out the hall closet instead, LOL. Sounds like it wouldn't balance out, but organizing is for me better and more fun than a good bout of exercise. You start with a mess and awhile later, you have a neater life and probably got rid of some junk, which most of us have too much of. I think simplicity and order relieves stress.

Misti---I'm so happy for you that some folks at work noticed your weight loss. It's such a good feeling and SO motivating. Cool to have a LC buddy in real life too---one of my oldest pals in the world was mine for awhile, but she fell of the wagon recently. And btw, she feels like crap, physically and emotionally. She's gained back 8 lbs. She's blue about it, and swearing she's getting back on board soon. Hope she does, but you know, once you slide off like she has, it's hard to get started again. Starting is the hardest part, imo. You keep saying, "I'll do it tomorrow." Good for us gals to think about that, as we've probably all been there, and remind each other we really DO NOT WANT to go backwards, because that's what it is, right?

Yep, we had our first dusting of snow yesterday, not much of it left, but very chilly. I get hungrier as the weather cools too.

I love our threesome here, but miss jaded and honeysock. Maybe they'll find their way back. I'm torn. I'd LOVE to have a few more join us, but do like the intimacy of a small group and the chance to get to know each other---LC pen pals! We could advertise on the main board and see if we can find a few more who would enjoy our cozy corner.
So many come and go here, most never to be seen on the site again. I see that in the main lobby too.

LOL, you guys are going to strip me of my Blue Skies handle and rebrand me "Chatty Cathy, and how!" It's just so nice to be home from work, week finally over, and take the time to chat with y'all.

Nothing social this weekend, YAY! With a big holiday weekend coming up this is a nice time to relax and just be cozy at home, and eating will be very clean without all the distraction of nights out.

Down to 190.1 this AM. Just a hair's breath away from 189, AGAIN. Third time I've worked my way over this territory and hopefully the last. I seem to do the four pound bounce for weeks these days, before I finally stick to a new low. Whatever, I'm going to get that scale to show what I want it to, however long it takes.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #1662
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday. Scale jumped up to 211.6 today but it's not surprising becuase I've been eating too much. Well, really it is more eating when I am not truly hungry. Eating because I feel like eating. When I eat in response to true hunger I eat at the right level to lose. When I eat just because I want to...that doesn't work so well.

We are having Thanksgiving dinner with DH's family tomorrow at noon. MIL, fortunately or unfortunately, is a terrible cook and so nothing will really tempt me to fall off plan. I may make a LC dessert to bring. Not sure yet. She said we don't need to bring anything unless we want something specific. I might try making an LC gravy today. It is pretty easy to make a cream gravy LC but I'm not sure about a turkey gravy. I have some turkey stock, so I'll give it a whirl.

Have a great weekend!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #1663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks guys. I am kinda back in the zone. my summer vacations really took me off course and I STRUGGLED alot thru there to get back into this place I am now. LC all the way baby the journey can be such a zigzag sometimes.

Misti congrats on people noticing and saying so. I like to hear those compliments! They keep us going!! Shows that someone noticed our hard work and acknowledged it. helps us actually.

Good luck on that gravy. LOL She is not a great cook so you won't be temped that is funny. but it sure helps you thru this meal.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #1664
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats Blue that you are a hair away out of the 190s. I am working on it but lately I am losing tons of inches but the scale isn't moving too much. I don't care about that number as much. (of course it needs to go down more) but as long as those inches are leaving I am happy about that!

I know what ya mean about wanting a few more in our group, but hating to give up our threesome of fun! The 3 of us are really helping each other! We chat just enough and know each other enough to really mean something. I like that. I know one thing for sure you gals help me a bunch!!!!

well....in general today......

My 16 pants fell off today HAHA I was vacuuming and stretched out to hit the corner and whammo, my drawers all but slid off my butt. I am constantly hiking them up. I hate belts. They are so baggy in the butt and the waist now won't stay up. YIPPEE. I pushed these 16s as far as I can go now with them. Time to put them in the closet for donation after the holidays. Time to get out all my 14s and try them all on and see which ones are best.

Scale not moving much but the inches are being lost cause the 16s are just sliding off me now. At least that gives me a good feeling knowing something is happening with the old body. Inches are moving down and the pants prove it.

My shirts are getting very big on me also. As much as I don't want to shop, I gotta go find some new clothes to get thru this next size. My ''big'' shirts I love to put on over a T shirt if chilly are way too big. Over the top big. Out they go soon.

I got tons done today. That bigger house cleaning. Bleck but at least it is over mostly. alot of darn work just to keep junk clean right? annoying but nice to look over it when done and see the clean

Went to the little store down the road who sells some smokehouse meats in there. I got myself a small brisket. WOW it was delish. Not bad for them to do all the work. I am so super stuffed from late lunch of smoked beef brisket that I probably will only have a small sf pudding and whipped cream late tonight. I am hitting water hard which is good.

All is OK in my little corner of the world right now
Old 11-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #1665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue --you typed this in a thread:

Everyone who finds themselves satisfied and happy on a Low carb woe travels their own path, and many of us try and fail at it more than once before we hit our stride---which to me is when you really like this woe, and would choose it, instead of feeling forced into it for health reasons or because you don't like being overweight for all those other reasons.

---------WOW THIS HIT HOME WITH ME. I agree a million times over.

It is so hard for many to believe that we can adjust to this way of eating....and really even enjoy it for life. I was one who seriously wondered if I could do the lc thing thru my entire life. I know I can now. I hit into the group of people that 'choose to eat low carb thru my entire life' and I am not crying about it anymore

I just loved what you wrote. It just sat well with me and made me think. thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #1666
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Let us know how the gravy turns out. Your weight bump up is teeny and probably just water. Bet this hungry stage you've got going on will pass soon. Mine seem to last about a week, and then go away, thankfully.

Trigger---Thanks for your nice words, it's so nice to know when we've said something that connects with someone. I too sometimes can't believe how many LC things I love to eat. Last night I made some spicy green beans that were so amazing w/my hubby's Frenches oven baked chicken, (yep, light coat of Frenches onion rings, which are amazingly low in carbs, probably about 5 grams on two small breasts) crunchy yum. I could not get over how good it all tasted. And when I was done, I was satisfied not stuffed. Love that part.

Hi-larious mental pix of you bending over with the vacuum and wham, your pants fall down. I bet you remember when those pants were too tight! The jeans I bought just a couple of months ago are getting loose, can't wait till they fall off, just hoping I'll get as lucky as you and it will be in the privacy of my home.

So my old friend MS. 189 was back this AM. 189.1 to be exact. Third visit. Hope she stays. Steamed artichokes for lunch, and for dinner will have a patty melt on TJ's low carb bread, and maybe a breadless cheeseburger too. Haven't eaten much and ran around like crazy doing errands all afternoon. Pleasantly hungry, the good kind where you need to eat, and can't wait to dig into your LC meal.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #1667
Major LCF Poster!

Yea on the pants falling down Trigger! And yea on seeing the 180's again Blue! Made a LC crustless pumpkin pie this morning, now and going to try the gravy. Hope you both have a great low carb day!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #1668
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---good luck at the MIL's, at least you'll have a good dessert!

Well, I have just had the best weekend buzzing around getting great deals. A TJ Maxx just opened 2 minutes from our house. YAY! Usually you can't find many of them in the city, tend to be in the burbs. But we have one now, and boy have I been enjoying it.

Between Target and TJ's I got myself 5 fabulous tops for $94! That 12.99 TJ price point is so fun when you find something you like, and I sure did. Having gotten rid of over half of my clothes, I really needed a couple new tops for work and social. They are each adorable and so different than what I have. And I got a gorgeous star for the top of my tree. Plus I did a bunch of LC shopping, all stocked up through Thanksgiving. I want to eat very clean and mean up till the big day, and after. And here I thought I was going to just have a cozy weekend at home. HA! Sudden surge of energy is fun.

I'm making an artichoke dip for appetizers for dinner tonight. My mother's coming and she loves her appetizers and a martini. Then she and hubby will have a roast, which I don't feel like, So I'm making my bacon and tomato lettuce wraps for me.

Lovely November day here, sunny and pretty, but chilly. Have a nice Sunday everyone.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #1669
Major LCF Poster!

Had to come back today to share what I made for dinner. Been making BLT lettuce wraps recently, with all parts whole and mayo smeared on leaf. Delish, but a bit messy. So I made it all as one big spread/dip and added some goodies. Mayo, shredded sharp cheddar,lots of crispy bacon broken up, green onions, then roasted the tomato pieces in olive oil, salt, pepper and basil, (this brings out some sweetness in off season tomatoes)and mixed them into the spread. I buy romaine hearts because it's the best leaves for this, like crisp little boats. Made one to test, so easy,just spread in center of leaf and wrap, not messy, and omg, SO very very good. There will be leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

You can make this ahead of time, and then dinner is just scoop and wrap. I made the artichoke dip too, which I'll be dipping into with cold crisp cauliflower. Mom will be here soon, can't wait to taste all these things.

I know it's not fancy stuff, but for a gal who never cooked anything, besides making great salads, for her whole life, I'm becoming a tiny bit of a LC cook. Hoping I'll make the cheesecake this week. Again, so many great things to eat on this woe, and discovering more and more ways to do it makes me feel happy and motivated.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #1670
Major LCF Poster!

Woo hoo on the shopping, Blue! I haven't had too much luck with TJ Maxx yet myself. When I get a couple of sizes smaller it seems there will be a much bigger selection. Your BLT wraps sound great. I may have to get some romaine hearts, never thought of doing that at home even though I do love my JJ's unwiches. Would be good if I actually decide to make a turkey on Thursday. Not sure yet what we are doing since we already had the official T-day at MILs. Which, BTW, was pretty much as bad as I figured. Waterlogged turkey (she makes it the day before, shreds it, then reheats it water the morning of), broccoli with velveeta, and cheese cubes was all she had that DH and I could eat. I brought my LC gravy (came out very good), crustless LC pumpkin pie and LC whipped cream. So we had plenty to eat. Right before we went over MIL called to say my niece wanted us to bring a book about the way we are eating (low carb, high fat - LCHF). Well, I don't really have one, so we brought an Atkins book. My niece's brother (my nephew) and I were talking to her about LCHF eating (he did it over the summer and did very well with it) and she suddenly bursts into tears and runs out of the room. Apparently us talking about eating meat and fats made her think it is too expensive for her, and who knows what else. So I had a book in mind to get her for Xmas, but now I need to message her DH on facebook and see if she still wants it. I don't really want Xmas to be ruined as well! The only good news is MIL forgot to serve her deviled eggs. Yes, they would be LC friendly but they are the worst deviled eggs ever. She uses a minimal amount of mayo (so the yolks are still essentially hard) and so much salt it makes me gag (and I like salt). And that's it - no other seasonings. Not even paprika. She is going away for a couple days so called us after and asked us if we wanted them. We said no thanks!

ETA: Niece just messaged me on facebook, asking how much fat she should eat. So I guess she is still interested.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 11-25-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Old 11-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1671
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Oh dear. What a dinner! Your MIL is truly a bad cook---the turkey sounds disgusting and the description of her deviled eggs, LOL, how can you take something so delicious and easy and make it so bad?! And then the drama with the tears and running out of the room. Poor thing, sounds like she's under a lot of financial stress. Isn't there a sticky here about eating LC on a budget? It can be done of course, we do it off and on depending on how well the money is flowing in our self employed house. Glad she's still interested. Hope she grabs on, reads and learns, that's the only way to do this right, as we both know.

The romaine hearts are great to put all sorts of stuff in. Had the left over spread for lunch on Rleaves and it was yummy and again, so easy. They only thing I missed w/this method is the crispier bacon so I think next time I'll make the spread w/out the bacon, and then crunch the bacon on top last thing.

189.0 today. Saw a flash of 188, but scale wasn't ready to give me that yet. I'm out to a pal's house tonight for dinner. She's one of my great cook pals and knows I'm doing LC, and being such a sweetheart, I know the meal will be LC and fantastic. She mentioned steaks, but I know she'll do something special with them. Can't wait.

Yay for a short week! And Monday's over. Two more days, and four days off. My niece and nephew who got married in Cartagena are coming home for Thanksgiving at my brothers, plus her parents are flying in to surprise her. They are such great people, who we got to know over the week in SA. Feel like they're family already and excited about seeing them. All the other kids in the family will be home and there as well. So looking forward to it, and very little because of the food, but because of the people.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #1672
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you have a great supper tonight with your friend, Blue. I made the Asian Zinger wings again. DH loves them. I did very well on the eating today until after supper. For some reason I was still hungry so after the wings I had LC crustless pumpkin pie, a fat bomb and some peanuts. I am full now. I saw 209 flash on the scale before supper, but it settled at 210. That was even lower than this morning. I'll see what the scale says tomorrow, it could be just dehydration. I also got a pleasant surprise in the mail, a free $20 gift card from Dressbarn, becauase my recent online order took a while to arrive. Those were the size 18 pants, which I am still not wearing yet (though I tried them on and they fit! But a tiny bit snugger than I would like, so I am still holding off for a couple more pounds). So I think I will be hitting Dressbarn this weekend, as I have a 30% off coupon, a $20 gift card and a $15 off any purchase on their perks card that expires soon. I will be getting something decent for free, that is for sure!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #1673
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had fun reading the posts. Just so busy couldn't get time to post. You know, time is never enough

Wow Misti that dinner sounded big time rough. shred and reheat turkey in water. OH MY. I gotta say that turned me off big time. At least tho you got thru the meal.

Blue, sounds like you have great times coming with family visiting. I hope my bro and his family can get down for Christmas. They drive so the 'snow' might get in the way. A few years they had to cancel and hold off til early spring for their trip down. but the weather sure isn't something we can control. A flash of 188! you go girl.

Me, just busy these last days. Picking food here and there. A few things I shouldn't have but still holding strong and on course. Driving around the other day I had a ton of deliveries and errands but my mind kept going to food. Stop at McDonalds, stop at Wendys, stop at Subway, stop at KFC. All those fast foods which I waivered on stopping, but kept on driving cause I have really come to hate that kind of food anymore. I got home and had tuna Weird how just seeing the buildings got my mind wanting. At leat my lc ways kept me from buying cause that sodium in those foods really slow down my losses. best to keep away from that for me.

Raining here and icky day. School delay. 3 hrs. cause ''possible'' sleet. geez. kiddo sleeping in, she loves it. they are off wed, thurs, friday. I wanted to run around a bit today but I might hold up, get some things done in the house and take it easy. yea, take it easy sounds best.

Glad everyone is doing so well! Lets rock thru the holidays.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #1674
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---210 w/a flash of 209 is great! Doesn't seem eating a bit more has hurt your losses at all. You're very good about staying LC when you get hungrier and I think that makes all the difference. And wow girl, sounds like you've got a treat coming up from Dress Barn! SO nice to not spend much on the clothes now, and yet still have some new things that fit and look good on us. Maybe you'll find a nice holiday dress or top that perks you up, something new I feel good in always perks me up. And finally---the size 18 pants. Leaving those Xs behind was a happy day for me and sounds like you're a couple of pounds away. YAY! That's a big deal.

Trigger---Good on you zipping right past all those fast food places! If you want a cheeseburger these days I say make it at home, so much better. I fry mine in worstecshire sauce, mustard and fried onions, then cheese melted on tops at last minute. bunless or on my Tj's LC bread so very good. Sometimes I mix Lipton's onion soup mix into the burger and then just have it w/cheese. Can't get that at a drive thru!

Hope your brother makes it! Eastern seaboard not looking good tomorrow and Thursday. Hopefully it will be better than they predict.

Ran around all day again, my other SIL's b'day is Thanksgiving so needed to get her a gift and two gal pals b'days coming up. And I haven't even begun my xmas shopping yet! But I'm hoping I burned a few cals with all that parking and running around.

Good day on the woe. BPC for breakfast, steamed artichoke for lunch, and the above mentioned cheese burgers for dinner. Happy with my food!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #1675
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I so agree Blue that burgers are home are tops. I don't like 'mystery meat' from the fast food places I never liked it much with a bun, but at least the bun kinda hid the meat LOL the tuna was delish when I got home. And boy, let me tell ya, I sure almost stopped a few places just to chow down off plan. I held on. I guess we get tested on a flash every now and then. this time I was tested and did better. Longer and longer on plan I have definite more control.

For me, just wondering if any of you guys have this problem---Just an observation---does reading the Main Lobby board blow your mind sometimes? it gets harder and harder for me to read the 'beginner's problems' with lc. While I was one of them , I don't feel the compassion I used to for beginners with problems. I got thru it all, found a way to work into lc long term and make it work for me (hence this thread, OUR way) but yet when I read the excuses on the main board it blows my mind still. huh. I just read the 'husband and me angry right now about lc food choices' and to be able to make a monster list of excuses was crazy to read. As much as I felt a bit for this person, being on lc since Jan. 2013, and it is almost a year, and the complaints listed just showed me that the persons aren't even trying. I mean in almost a year you can't have control yet? Found a sense of how to find the foods you like to eat and be comfortable with them? Well, hmmm...I guess I was in the same boat. I needed to find more lc meals that made me happy. But I did put in the effort. The other post didn't show any effort. So in the end YOU ARE what makes the difference. YOU either adapt, change, embrace it, put in the effort needed, or quit. I guess there is no other way about it.

I am so glad the 3 of us are putting in the effort. Learning, changing, adapting, working it all to fit our life. BUT WE ARE making it happen. WE are doing it for ourselves. Not whining about how hard it is, but we put more effort into finding ways to make it easier I like that about us. We make this happen for ourselves. We want it bad enough.

just rambling a bit. makes me feel better to chat about how when I read the main board it can almost bring me down sometimes. But then I try to find the good in what I am doing and that helps me LOL

busy day today. Mother in law is coming over later for dinner and we are decorating the christmas tree. Her and kiddo love to do that and I get it done without hassle. Having ham, baked beans, biscuits etc. I will do well cause I am not a fan of ham and all that so I will do a bit of ham and veg. good enough for me. rain stopped so that is nice. doggie goes in for a grooming this morning so I gotta get my tail in gear and out the door.

everyone have a great day! We deserve it
Old 11-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #1676
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Trigger, yes...the beginner's issues do kind of drive me crazy sometimes. I don't post in many of those threads, but the ones I do post in I have fairly strong opinions about. And that particular person I have had a longer history with than just that one thread (there is a big long thread in the health forum too). So I disagree with some of the advice other posters are giving as well. It's frustrating but essentially we all do have to figure this out for ourselves. If someone isn't ready, then I guess they aren't ready.

Today is the last work day before the holiday. I really should be getting some work done! But it is so slow here today so hard to get going. I hope you have a good dinner with MIL tonight Trigger. And Blue, how great your niece and nephew are coming. I hope they make it in ok. My 22 month old niece asked to see my son, she remembered him from our visit this summer. So I think we will Skype tomorrow.

Scale holding steady at 211. I did see a bit lower the past couple of days, but nothing major. I plan to make a turkey and LC sides for tomorrow, so should be fine. Have a great day and holiday!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #1677
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Thanksgiving eve, gals!!! Just got home from a long edit, and oh, I'm SO happy we're just on the edge of a four day weekend. 4 WHOLE days to enjoy away from work, which continues to be more stressful than usual. I just want to wipe it off the slate for this long weekend and not give it a thought. So happy to be home and cozy, Xmas tree sparkling, hubby is making a fire. Gotta remember what's important and what I'm really thankful for, which is my family, my home and my friends, and oh yeah, a job. Need it, don't always love it, right?

Trigger---Oh yeah, the whiner posts, we've had a couple of those in the ML lately. Not that I mind a good rant, or the expression of frustration w/this woe at times, been there. What gets me is when the poster hits back every suggestion with a reason why it won't work, as if they're playing a game of negativity tennis.

And man oh man, when a woman tells me her husband "finally says it's OK if they eat different things," I just have to lock my lips, or still my fingers, whichever. My hubby would hear that and say, "wow, you mean you give your wife permission to do this or that?! Or not?! And she listens to you?! Where did you find her?! But seriously, he doesn't want a "the little woman" he wants a partner, and all the joy and arguments that brings, which is why I'm crazy about him, still, after all these years.

I understand people have different relationships, and that's that. But to me, that whole post was a study in some kind of weird co-dependency I don't get. About much more than just food me thinks.

What kind of dogger do you have Trig? I have one too, and we adore her. She's a ****-a-poo, apricot, cutest thing you've ever seen, except for your dog of course. She brings us so much joy!

Misti---I really admire the way you express your opinions to those you disagree with, or have something else to add. You have a really good way of being brief and to the point...something I struggle with, lol. I loved your answer on one of your posts on that thread: "I think your making this too hard." Yep. Short and sweet and well said.

I guess what bugged me is that the OP listed endless fast food options she was sick of and there just seemed no effort to try new things. Just trying to transfer her SAD diet to LC without feeling, learning or thinking through the transition. That said, I do think she was very frustrated and very clueless about how to make it better, and that's kind of sad.

Had a great Greek salad for lunch, ribs for dinner. Although I just realized we ran out of my Guy's blazing LC BBQ sauce, so I'm just going to have my husband's regular sauce. He doesn't drown the ribs in them, just a nice layer of flavor, and I'm not going to worry about those carbs tonight. Not very hungry actually, and that's all I'm having.

On my way to Netrition to order more Guy's!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #1678
Major LCF Poster!

LOL, Trig! Just saw my post and noticed the stars when I tried to tell you the breed of my pup. She's a mix of cocker spaniel and poodle, which is commonly called a cocka-poo. Lets see if that make it through. LOLOLOLOLOL!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #1679
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Misti you are right. when someone isn't ready, they just are not ready. I sure can read it in some people's posts. the excuses are so transparent. Like when someone says ''I can not eat a hot dog without the bun''---''I can not eat a burger without the bun''---that is a true failure to even try. It isn't can't...it should be WON'T. big difference.
but I guess it is an individual journey to find the right way to hit goal. everyone does have to find that out for themselves.

Blue--negativity tennis. I like that I think when I read the ML the posts are either really trying to find ways to make it work, or they are just big posts of excuses to get off plan and someone wants them to tell them that so they can move on. I don't know. but some posts just get me.

HAHA on cocka-poo. I was thinking the **** was a shitzu cross maybe HAHA (did I spell that right?)

I have a papillion that looks just like this:

this isn't him but looks just like him.

here is a pic with my DD

I love posting pics

I bet your doggie is cute also. post a pic if you can. I love seeing people's pets!!

Well, with MIL here I overate a bit. I am not a ham fan so it didn't thrill me so I ate only a little. But I jumped on 2 small dinner rolls. Yea. after I had some chocolate covered cherries. Like 5. ME BAD. Then on top of it I got myself a few rum drinks.

So I am up a bit which is expected. No bad feelings about it at all. I know I can correct if after today. Today is turkey and trimmings at Mom and Dads. I will eat some of it but control portions. After being on plan so long I know I can let this day go a bit and hit LC very hard the next few weeks to correct everything and get back into the weight loss game.

I knew this time would be a bit of off plan and I accept it and will move forward after.
LC is for me. As much as I might eat a bit off plan there is no way it will take me off LC forever. It just won't happen. So I feel like I am ok on all this with myself.

Happy Thanskgiving everyone!

Enjoy the day!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 11-28-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #1680
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Thanksgiving! Cute doggies! I am more of a cat person than a dog person, but I always have liked little ones like you guys have.

Ended up buying a fresh turkey for 99 cents/pound at Costco last night. They were $1.59/lb at my grocery store over the weekend so I figured that was a good deal. Then we go to the grocery store for a few other things and the fresh turkeys were marked down to 50 cents/pound! So we got another and stuck it in the freezer. The turkey is in the oven now. I made som LC cranberry sauce. Debating on what side to make - and one or two. Either LC green bean casserole, LC cabbage/sausage "stuffing" or just some Brussels sprouts with bacon that we have often. Not sure yet. I will make some Stove Top stuffing for DS, and also some LC gravy. Keeping it pretty simple.

I hope you have a great holiday and any off-plan eating is forgiven! Just make sure to jump back on plan over the weekend. Or burn it off by shopping!
Closed Thread