Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #1591
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hey Miss Misti---Here's the recipe for the poppers, to save you thread searching. Wish I could figure out how to embed Ntombi's beautiful pix of the finished product. If you have any questions on this recipe, ask away, I've made them several times.

POPPERS

Split jalapeños in half lengthwise, remove as much or as little of the ribs and seeds as you like (more removal means milder poppers).

I mix cream cheese with shredded cheeses (I like using cheddar and monterrey Jack), paprika, a drop of liquid smoke, and lots of garlic. I also add minced habarero to the mix. Stuff into the jalapeños.

Cut bacon in half lengthwise, and wrap one half slice around each half jalapeño, making sure the last bit is at the bottom. Bake at 400* until the bacon is cooked.

A bit putsy but really easy at the same time. I make the cheese mix in the afternoon, so it's ready to go. Then slice and hollow peppers, then wrap the whole wing ding in bacon. I do it in a couple of steps over the course of a few hours, as I work in my office and around the house, but you could polish the whole thing off in a half hour. And BTW, just wrap the bacon around the jalapeño and cheese mix, so it goes pretty much from end to end, in case that part of Ntombi's recipe is confusing.

Mine are just cooling and after answering all the door bells, I'm about ready to enjoy my dinner.

Oh, and I SO GET the NIGHTMARE AT WORK scenario. Been going on for a couple of weeks for me, and many others, seems it's in the stars. Remember, that stress cortisol thing can hold us up, although I'm not quite sure what we can do about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #1592
Major LCF Poster!

Friday! AT LAST. This work week sucked an egg. I don't mind the busy, or the hard work, but I really hate work politics and it's been all about that lately, and it's just so exhausting and dispiriting. Drove home today thinking about having a pizza pity party, ordering up a big one and eating the whole thing. You know, one of those "to heck with it" moods.

Thankfully, when I got home Hubby had steaks out for tonight and thawing, so got hold of myself and will make a good sauce for the steaks, w/maybe some scrambled eggs. So in the end I'm going to be a good girl, even though I really feel like being a naughty one.

Home tonight, thank heavens, going to curl up w/hubby and watch a movie and just shove all the rest right out of mind.

Happy weekend everyone.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #1593
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Misti that is crazy so many emails went out wrong. yikes. hope you got that all straightened out. it never 'just rains' it pours!!

Breathe Blue! Breathe! I know. Work is a 4 letter word right? heehee been there and thank goodness for weekends! those steaks sound great. Shove it all away. that is smart and ask hubby for a nice foot rub also LOL

me I am doing good. sodium bloat left. on the way down the scale again.

ate very light today. not hungry for dinner.

I tried to make a low carb chocolate candy bar. very simple. Found it on the web.

1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweet
4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/4 cup splenda

mix and put in fridge for 30 mins to set and store in fridge til all gone

I screwed it up. I put in a stupid 1/2 cup of spenda and the thing is super duper sweet when I licked the spoon. The 1/2 cup of cocoa powder is 10 nc. So I could eat the whole darn thing and still be fine but it was ruined with too much splenda I think. It is setting up right now in the fridge. the extra splenda killed the chocolate taste kinda and I think my tablespoons of coconut oil was a bit big. kinda coconut tasting and the recipe said it wouldn't come thru. I will cut that back a bit definitely to maybe 3 tablespoons. it would work I think.

well I have no more cocoa powder darn it so tomorrow I will hit the store and buy more.

eh, I am trying !! trying to learn to make lc things for myself. keep me outta the kids candy that I know is super high carb with real sugar.

I gotta learn more lc options in candy and desserts. kinda small go to items to enjoy.

so far so good today. hope we all get a break and the scale starts to treat us all great again !!!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #1594
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Thanks for the jalapeno poppers recipe Blue. Sounds pretty forgiving. I think I'll try them for lunch today, as I have some wings I need to make for supper tonight. I also have some leftover steak from Longhorn Steakhouse from last night. It was super good but I guess that will keep until lunch tomorrow. My jalapenos have been in the fridge since last Sunday so I better use them up. Sorry your work has been craptastic as well. This was about the worst week in a while for me. Unfortunately I don't think next week will be much better!

Trigger, if your candy really is too sweet you could melt them down when you get more cocoa powder and add more then let them set up again. Some people thinks chocolate sweetened with splenda becomes bitter, but it usually tastes fine to me when I make my fat bombs with it. Thanks for the commiseration about work. I do think stress is affecting my weight loss (or lack thereof).

Still hanging in at around 216 this morning. Even though I am up almost 3 lbs. from my low weight at least I'm not gaining any more than that. I've lost a lot of weight in just under a year so I'm still happy with that, and if there's a pause in my weight loss for a bit so be it.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #1595
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---LOL, yes work can be a four letter word. And unfortunately, I hardly got a foot rub from the hubs last night, instead we had a big old fight. So that was the perfect crappy end to a crappy week. SIGH. Marriage is so great and so frustrating sometimes particularly when we're both stressed out.

If you're looking for sweet dessert recipes don't forget that one I think I mentioned, the jello/cream cheese and roasted pecan one. It's yummy and there's lots of flavors and berries you can use for variety. Also, do you like the cream cheese puffs? I've never made them and always been curious. Seems like that's something else that could be desserty and flavored all kinds of ways.

Misti---Hope you enjoy the poppers. I'm making them today for a party tonight. And boy howdy, do I ever agree with you about this: "I've lost a lot of weight in just under a year so I'm still happy with that, and if there's a pause in my weight loss for a bit so be it." You have done an amazing job, and I do believe the body takes some pauses on this dramatic journey. When you think of what a big transformation out bodies go through in this process, it's kind of amazing.

Here's hoping to a better next week for both of us.

So it's a beautiful day here, hubby and I are speaking again, laughing in fact. We do fights pretty well, "get 'er done" as Trigger would say, and get over it fast. Life's too short.

Having some bun-less chicago hot dogs for lunch, saving my carbs for tonight. We're going to a 50's fondue party, which sounds fun to me, love fondue. There will be meat to dip in cheese, and that will work for me. Might indulge in one or two pieces of bread dipped. Bringing poppers, so I should have plenty to keep me satisfied. Looking forward to it, I can sure use a little fun in my life.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #1596
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Misit, but I threw out that small batch. it was horrible
but I hit the store today, got new cocoa and will try to work some magic with it.

and girl don't panic on the weight loss. like you said you lost alot and I truly believe at some point our bodies have to catch up. You hold the course. You will lose more definitely and it just takes time. You HOLD strong. We are right there with ya on this one

Fight instead of foot rub! ah, marriage, I hear ya. One thing we gotta remember, no matter what the outside stress in our lives, our hubbys are the ones that are to be our support system and provide stress less and happy times and all that
(YEA RIGHT HAHA).

I had a fab drop of the scale. my sodium went away from those blasted fresh roasted pumpkin seeds which were over the top delish. (they are finished now thank goodness)

TA DA.........I am on my stat weight FINALLY. I hit the scale this morning and it was 198.5. I flipped. I am back. WEE. the ups and downs can be so frustrating.

but good news is my pants are so much looser again. the 16s are gone and the 14s back on. I made a small vow those 16s will never be on again. I hope I can just get to about 195 and that would make me feel great knowing I am actually now moving forward down that scale to my goal weight. Whew....I waivered for a long time there losing ground, FINALLY I am hit my low weight and hope to be lower soon.

man oh man what a ride.

hang in there everyone. we are doing well being LC ladies
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #1597
Major LCF Poster!

Yea Trigger!!! So happy for you. You and Blue are both solidly in Onderland! I hope to join you in a few short months. Sorry you and DH had a fight Blue, but glad you are laughing again today. I didn't end up making the poppers today, we went to a movie instead so I needed something quicker for lunch. I'll make them for sure tomorrow though. Had my leftover steak for lunch, a few pieces of popcorn for snack (at movies) and homemade buffalo chicken wings for supper. Can't complain too much.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #1598
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Misti. You will be in ONEderland soon and then us guys that stuck with this cool thread will all be on our way to our final goals!!!!! We are doing this guys!!!!
I can't wait til ya hit ONEderland and we can all celebrate our groups success!

I love leftover steak. usually I never have any

day should be easy and simple. hubby going away with buddies for 4 days deer hunting so without him things run smoothly LOL he has fun and I get a break. win/win for all of us.

colder today but should be super sunny and decent. just a slow simple day!! chicken/broccoli alfredo tonight for dinner. maybe some bacon for lunch cause I woke up not hungry today. I like those days big time.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #1599
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---- So cool! Back to your stats, back on your game. And feeling less hungry more of the time. That's when it gets good I think, when you're enjoying your LC food, feeling satisfied and motivated. Pulling out those size 14 jeans and having them fit doesn't hurt either. Anyway, it's all great and makes me happy to see you so happy with where you're at.

Misti---You'll be in Onderland in a blink. It might not feel that way on certain days, but then one day 2 or 3 months down the line, you're there, and it seems like it wasn't that long at all.

We had a fantastic time at the 50's Fondue party last night. Lovely old home on a city Lake, big fireplace, 8 old friends, good food and martinis of every flavor. Lots of laughs and good chats. My fave kind of party, smallish and cozy, with time to connect w/everyone.

I was pretty good on the food, ate mostly meat and cheese and veggies. Had two chunks of bread, not big, dipped in cheese fondue. That I planned on. What I didn't plan on was having 5 or 6 big strawberries dipped in insanely delicious dark chocolate fondue. Saying no to dessert is not often a problem for me, but last night it sure was.

But I had a very low carb day till then, and didn't eat that much overall, so it's all fine, and I enjoyed every one of those chocolate strawberries! Who knows when that's coming my way again.

So far today It's been a LC tortilla pizza. Dinner is corned beef and cabbage and I'm still in a not too hungry mode so probably a very modest helping. It will be a good day on plan.

Off to get cozy with a movie or a book. I need the chill time. Really dreading going back to work tomorrow. Just have to zone it out and enjoy my day. Hope y'all are having a good one!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #1600
Major LCF Poster!

its a new week, you hang in there Blue
I work from home. love it. no one gets in my way. I have to say it is much preferred than 'going' to work. Hold on, weekend is on its way LOL

up a bit.
neighbor and her kid came over last night. hubby hit the road for 4 days gone to hunt.
we had a small party 5 beers and believe me they put me under. ate very little but of course the beers nailed me. few days to get it back in gear. Something I haven't done in a long time. sit and drink a few and chat away. We had a good time just chilling and gossiping.

week will be easy. gotta run here and there as usual, but food will be controlled well. with hubby gone there is minimal eating and cooking so that helps alot.

everyone hold on!! we can get thru this winter and lose weight and really put alot of lbs behind us come spring. WOW!!!! I am waiting for spring already!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #1601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Ladies, I have a question. I've spent awhile reading most of this thread (every 5 pages or so). I've been all over the place lately trying to figure out how to lose this flippin' weight! I've been eating low carb since July - the longest stretch I've ever done. I kept the carbs at about 30-50 (net) carbs per day. Then I bought the original Atkins book ('72) and began that the last day of September, did it for two weeks. I've cut out wheat, sugar, most dairy and keep my carbs at 20 or below (shooting for total, but net occasionally).

I seem to float between 5-6 lbs., never losing more than that. It's beyond frustrating. I love eating LC, and feel like I'm doing what all of you are doing here - doing it my way.

I'm not on any meds, take vitamins, don't fit the problem thyroid list, etc. I just can't seem to lose weight. I don't eat the bars, drink the shakes, etc. I eat pretty clean as far as I know.

I'm at a loss - no pun intended!! I guess my question is just more of a wondering what you'd suggest when the weight just ain't coming off. I need to lose about 80 lbs., so it's not like I'm sitting near goal or anything like that.

Misti, you've done very well and I admit - I'm envious!!!! But, congrats to all of you on your losses doing it your way.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #1602
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I work out of my home too, independent contractor, but often have to work on site and in production as well. Lord I love my no appointment days! Like you said, no one to get in my way, and I can do my work in my bunny slippers, LOL. Sounds like you had a fun night w/your neighbor. I love sitting around w/a gal pal and shooting the breeze. Those beers can get you on the carbs though. So can wine. I'm just doing vodka these days, either a martini or a vodka tonic or vodka gimlet, can't stand to use those carbs on drinks!

Welcome Vanilla Latte! I think you'll see more weight loss cutting down to 20 NC's a day. I do 25 to 30 on average, and have lost steadily, but slowly. 34 pounds in 9 months. I am absolutely convinced that if you stick with it, you will drop it. But we all lose at different paces according to many factors: age, activity level, and how many times we've yo yo'd up and down. And sometimes your body takes a while to kick in w/the changes.

Water is important on LC, as much as you can gulp down in a day. Also, calories do matter, imo, although many get a bit of a bonus on those on LC.
One thing I'd suggest is to post a typical day's menu in the Main Lobby. Folks are pretty good at seeing potential problems, although sometimes over tweaking can be a problem when it comes to staying on plan, and it sounds like you've already removed the worst culprits. How many calories a day are you eating on average?

Also I'd suggest doing some reading. A good place to start is "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes. It helps you understand what carbs do and how they trap us in the fat. It's inspiring and once you know what happens to those carbs you ingest, you think about it twice before you indulge.

Last but not least, drop by here on a daily basis and post what you're eating, recipes, clothes that are looser, whatever. We're a cozy little group here and for me anyway, checking in here every day helps me a lot. Good luck, hope to see you again here.

So Monday was fine. I was working w/a different, easier client today and she is a delight. Everything went well. Whew, I needed that. Stopped at TJ Maxx on the way home to pick up a b'day gift for a friend and got the cutest darn top (it's really a sweater dress but I'm going to wear it w/wide leg black knit pants or jeans. At 5'11" these things are possible, LOL.) Anyway, I could have NEVER worn this last year at this time. Today, it fit great and it's one of those adorable things I would have sighed over a year ago, and wished I could wear. NSV.

And as for the scale, holding pretty steady right now at 191.whatever. I seem to have left 193 and up behind me at last. Still dreaming of that 189 I saw a week ago. It will come.

Delish greek salad for lunch, Brat on a LC bun for dinner, and one not on a bun. Hunger not an issue still. Love that.

Gloomy Gus day here today, and winter is closing in with the dark coming earlier. Can't believe we're going to blink and the holidays will be here, with all their glitter and stress.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #1603
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Vanilla Latte! Feel free to jump right in! So if I understand, you were losing on 30-50 net carbs a day this summer, now you are stalled eating lower carbs? That is frustrating. Do you have any idea if how many calories you are eating has changed? What about exercise? Have you tried going back to eating the way you were eating over the summer and see how that works?

However, I don't think I am one to be talking at the moment! I am now up 5 lbs. from my low weight a couple of weeks ago. Not very happy! I knew I would see the scale go up today as I ate *very* high calorie yesterday. (Though I must report the jalapeno poppers were VERY good!!) I think sometimes I need to do that to kickstart my metabolism. I do have some potential thyroid issues and I am a bit concerned that may be getting out of control. Or it could be PMS. I have had very wonky cycles the past two months. Or if could be me just eating too much - I have not been using my calorie tracker and I'm now gaining weight...hmmmm....If I don't start losing again soon I think I am going to do a strict meat and egg for a few days and see if that helps. If that doesn't help then I'll resort to a fat fast. The one thing I know is that regardless of weight I must continue to eat low carb - I just don't think there is any other option for my health at this point.

Blue, glad work sounds a bit better this week. I hear you on the switch back to standard time. It was getting dark when I was leaving work and I was not comprehending!

Trigger, sorry you are up a bit but it sounds like you know why. That is half the battle, and it sounds like it was worth it to have some quality time with friends. Your food is under control - I can tell - so that is the most important thing!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #1604
Major LCF Poster!

Vanilla, you have been on lc since July. How much have you lost in total?

It probably is calories. While many say you can eat alot more on LC and lose, many people can not achieve this. Cals. do come into play at some point for many. OR you could be not eating enough which gives weight loss eventually, but the body is slow letting go the fat. Post a daily menu that you eat so we can see what your food is like.

-------------------Blue that has to be hard. working from home with no stress and quiet, then having to 'see and interact' with clients. bleck....haha....the meeting client part has to go. HAHA 189 is coming your way you lucky gal!

Misti, up 5. been there many times and it stinks. PMS and a bunch of other things sure can come into play. eggs/meat is a great way to get things under control for a few days. You stopped tracking and started gaining. Hmmm is right. Could be you are just off and without tracking it is effecting you. Try tracking again one of your days then get an idea of what is going on. stay strong!!!

Me, I lost some this morning. 199. ugh now I have to lose that stupid 1.5 lbs again but with beer it means 2-3 days to get that done. always happens when I beer up. no biggie. food planned for today is simple. bacon. bacon works wonders for me. when I start the day with alot of bacon my appetite is controlled. I need to do that more but frying bacon gets tiring every day. Gonna make 2-3 packs today and fridge some fully cooked so I can jump on it over the next few days.

I am in a good place so far. Now I have to rock down the scale more to get away from the 200s. I am too close hanging here and I don't like it. Blue got far away from it, I gotta join her and Misti is on our tails getting into ONEderland. ONEderland for all of us!!!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 11-05-2013 at 03:00 AM..
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #1605
Major LCF Poster!

Down a pound today, thankfully. If that hadn't happened I think would be pulling my hair out. I didn't even do that well yesterday, ate well until dinner but then had peanuts and a sugar-free ice cream bar that I didn't need after dinner. I think you are right about the tracking Trigger. I will get back to that. I just got tired of feeling like I was only eating things easy to track. I think I'll just do the best possible and not worry if it is a tiny bit off. Glad you are in Onederland again Trigger! Love that bacon controls your appetite. If I do meat and eggs I will definitely include plenty of bacon!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #1606
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I just entered what I plan to eat today in the tracker and it comes out nearly perfect to the way I had been eating and losing. So now I just need to stick to my plan....
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #1607
Major LCF Poster!

GOOD for you to track for a while again. We are in the losing phase. We kinda gotta do what we gotta do to keep the pounds off. When we maintain, if we go up 2-3-5 lbs we know to drop back. Seems simple enough right but losing means we gotta stay on top of it. yea it gets old cause of the length of time to 'get 'er done' but it is what gets us to goal.

Keep on tracking girl!!!! it is your way to make it happen!!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1608
Major LCF Poster!

Hi ladies,

I'm writing this in Notepad so I won't have multiquotes coming out the wazoo! I hope nothing I write comes across as unappreciative, because I do appreciate all the suggestions. I feel like I'm an "experienced dieter" having been on this quest for 30+ years, so I know the basics. Drink water, bodies are different, calories up/down, etc. I guess I'm hoping I'll see the one thing I haven't tried and it'll be the Holy Grail for me. It may be that I'm doing everything right and it's all those years of yo-yo dieting is the culprit.

Blue Skies - I'm already at 20 carbs a day. Been at that for awhile now. I do drink water (pretty much all I drink aside from that ICE drink at dinner). Calories are generally between 1400 and 1800, just depends on either how hungry I am or what makes up the calories (coconut oil, butter, etc.). I've already read Gary's book, and The Science of Low Carb Living, have listened to Jimmy, Dana, etc. and believe me, I'm a LC convert. I'll skip posting my menu in the ML. I've posted most of what I typically eat in the Atkins '72 thread and haven't been called out on anything. I've cut out sweetener packets and use either EZ-Sweetz or SF syrups to sweeten things. I have cut out so many things with no success, so I'm just about ready to say the heck with it, eat within my carb limit and TRY to be okay with "it is what it is."

Misti - You're still a big loser!!! I admittedly have not been great at exercising lately, but I've been a fairly regular exerciser for many years. I'm talking Curves, Bally's, and have probably walked the globe at least once! Even in conjuction with dieting, exercising never helped me lose anything, but I do know it's a good thing, no denying that. I was eating more carbs in the summer (30-50) and still never lost anything. Cutting out wheat, sugar, most dairy just hasn't helped.

Trigger - In reality, I haven't lost anything. I'll drop a couple of pounds (5.5 has been the most), but a couple of pounds will come back - just can't seem to bust past that. No inches lost, either. When I did JUDDD last year (NOT my first time by any means), I was eating carbs and it did get to where I wasn't eating enough on my UD. Once I did, I began losing. Then I had a hysterectomy, gained about 15 lbs., and it won't leave!

Thanks, again, so much ladies. I don't know what the answer is for me, other than I firmly believe eating LC is the way to go and hope one day my body will begin letting go. Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #1609
Major LCF Poster!

Vanilla, give us your stats. believe me, 1400-1800 COULD easily be too much for you

if you are shorter than you could be the type that needs only 1200-1300 per day to lose and maybe about 1400-1500 to maintain.

give me your age, height and weight and I can plug ya in and see where you stand.

I am 51, 5'8" and started at 230. I know I couldn't eat the recommended (about 1500-1800 cals. for women) on Atkins. I had to go lower to lose weight.

One thing that irks me is everyone says on LC that you can eat up the butter, cream, higher fat meats, etc. but that is not the case for me at all. Calories absolutely come into play for me. When I eat over the 1500 range I start to stall and can gain.

So while we think a diet plan that allows us to eat XXX and lose tons of weight, it won't work for everyone. Cause sometimes it is about our personal bodies. We are all so different that tweaking to find the sweet spot that works for you is key.

I know many say the 'calories in and calories out' rule is old and out of date, but for me it is real
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1610
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I stuck to my plan today, except for a couple bites of xylitol "ice chips" candy. Pretty much pure xylitol, so I think it should be ok. I am battling some head hunger, but I'm winning other than the xylitol candy. Carbs were around 39 total, 30 net, calories right around 1400. So we'll see what the scale says tomorrow. Need to drink more water tonight.

Vanilla Latte, the reason I asked about the exercise is that last time I tried exercising it really slowed my weight loss. So I'm with you that it doesn't help weight loss! I will start up again when I am much closer to my final goal. So if you had changed how much you were exercising that could be a factor in your stall. The calories might be a factor as Trigger says. I was losing well on 1400 cal/day or so but when my average creeps up higher like I think it has been for the past couple of weeks my weight loss slows or reverses. I am not looking forward to menopause, I imagine I will be able to eat even less then I do now.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #1611
Major LCF Poster!

Vanilla Latte---Sorry, should have read your profile, seeing your amount of posts here would have stopped me from a lot of advice you've known about forever. Like Trigger, am curious about your age and your stats, not to be nosy. Age is definitely a culprit, and so is a history of yo you dieting. And then calories. Your calories don't seem outrageous, but perhaps limiting them to 1500-1600 a day, as much as possible, would help? When I started at 224, I could eat 1800 calories a day and lose. Now at 191, I find I have to stay around 1600 most of the time, but I'm not religious about tracking it, I kind of know what I'm eating after tracking for months. I have my better and worse calories days, but keep them LC, which keeps me from gaining. For me, LC is necessary for my health, so even though I want to lose more, my health is the priority. And frankly, I haven't and couldn't cut out everything you have and stay on plan. So the way I look at it, much like you said, what will be will be. No good tweaking everything out if I can't live w/it long term, as I'll just gain it back. Dunno why you aren't losing, but I would see what happens over the next couple of months at 20Ncs a day, and maybe trimming the calories just a bit. In any case, hope you join us often, cause we're a pretty good group when it comes to the long view, and patience, even if we don't always feel that way every day.

Trigger---Well, the beer bloat should roll off by tomorrow or the next day, and you'll be back at 198. Hoping for you that you see a nice drop in the next month or two, and put some distance on from 200. That's a real good feeling, and I know you can do it. For me, it was when I knew I was in that "next phase." You're in a good place right now, can really tell the difference in your posts!

Misti---Glad you dropped that pound. I have had this happen, where I go low, and then bounce up 4 or 5 pounds, as you know. This is mostly about water weight, and who knows how all that works. Glad you checked in w/your tracker and found you were on track. Patience is so hard, but I think as we all motor down, our losses will be slower. I'm all over trimming calories a bit, and being aware of them, but as I said above, I gotta do this in a way I can live with for a long time. And there's no way I'm going to sustain a consistent lifestyle under 1500 calories a day, although some days I come in lower. Shooting for 1600 a day now, as calculator suggests for my height and weight, although I don't totally trust those calculators. Used to get away w/1800 a day.

BUSY BUSY today. Got so involved w/stuff I had to do before my afternoon appointments that I had no time to eat. Grabbed a small apple for the road because I needed something fast and available. Almost never eat apples, too carby. But it was a small one and it did the trick at 15 ncs, too many.

Didn't get a chance to eat again till I took my BFF to dinner for her birthday. Did pretty well, had oysters rockerfeller and a steak salad. Couple of bites of her flourless chocolate cake. Figure I ended up at about 40 carbs for the day, mostly due to the apple and the bites of cake. Honest to God, it's been SO social lately, too many parties and nights out to dinner.

Still, I was at 191.0 this Am, so slowly but surely. Very slowly, lol.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #1612
Major LCF Poster!

Misti, don't panic on the menapause. it is more of a mental challenge just wanting to eat vs. any real hunger effects. I am right in the middle of it now and losing. but the mood swings are wild with the hot/cold shiver flashes!! Congrats on the lb. down.

I think in general for exercise to help me lose good weight, I have to go hog wild insane and intense with it----and that ain't happening. What I like to do is mild toning exercises that are meant for firming up the jiggles a bit and working on the overall toning while going down the scale. and eh, I barely do that

Blue, I am back. dropped it all and I am right on my stats again. the eating right now is very under control---BUT---like you said the social events etc. are starting to kick in. reminds me of my vacations. gonna be in my face and fun and I don't want my control to waiver. Many stall out around the holidays (vs. gaining that is a good thing) so I have my eyes wide open like you being careful now.
YOU ARE SO CLOSE to busting out of the 90s. Great for you!!!!!

I am back to my stat weight and am going to bust into the 195 range as fast as I can because I need space between me and that stupid 200 that I like to fall back into at this time. not good.

My tummy feels wonky this morning so I get that feeling of not being hungry much today. man I hope I am not getting something again!!!! mid morning lunch will be probaby tuna or soup. I got that 'I don't care what I eat today' feeling so that might help me move down the scale.

All good here. I feel in the zone. Now that Blue mentioned I gotta be careful of the impromptu parties, eating out alot, and all those social things that crop up. Tis the season!!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #1613
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---You sure made short work of getting back to that stat weight. Excellent. No onward and downward. We can make it through the holidays without too much damage if we commit to it. Maybe we need a LCOW holiday challenge (always makes me laugh that that reads L-cow...something about cow seems so wrong, lol), with exceptions for good behavior, like on Thanxgiving and Xmas. (Love your holiday dinner plans, lasagna and bread---right up my alley. We gotta hang in their together through this.

Bounced up 3.5 pounds this morning, from 191.0 to 194.4. I'd say it was the apple/and the 4 bites of cake I had yesterday off plan, but it's been doing this wild bounce for weeks, even when I'm eating very clean, and I've been eating clean 98% of the time. So who the heck knows. I may have to do the meat and eggs thing for 3 days. Like Trigger, I don't think I could do it longer. But it's clear I'm on a plateau, another week and it will be an official stall.

But the good news is, I'm still 32-35 pounds down, depending on the day, and that's 32-35 pounds less than I was last year at this time. And that's a very good thing. I'm healthier and enjoying wearing clothes I like, instead of have to buy. So one day at a time and we'll see.

Had a Greek salad for lunch. Will have a cheeseburger on a LC bun for dinner for probably about 20NCs today and calories will be around 1400.

It snowed here last night! Not much and it's gone today, but too soon. I like winter, but it's too long.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #1614
Major LCF Poster!

Down another 0.2 today. I was hoping for more but I'll take it. Blue, I think my problem was that I was eating more than what I normally eat when I track. I give in to head hunger more. So I think my calories creeped up, and possibly carbs (like sugar alchols and such, I did not add back any "bad" or carby foods). I stuck to plan again today even though I am still having head hunger. I was at about 1430 calories, 26 total carbs, 18 net carbs, and protein and fat were good. So I just need to keep doing that. Just need to not eat anything else tonight.

Sorry for the bounce Blue, but I know you are used to it! Hopefully it is water weight from the minor carb indulgence. Yes, looking at the long term is important. We have all done well when looked at long term. And not letting pauses, stalls, or bounces get the best of us is important.

Trigger, congrats on getting back to your stat weight again so quickly! I hope you are able to put some serious distance between yourself and the 2's soon. Glad you feel in the zone. I am not there yet but hopefully a few more days of on plan I will be right there with you.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #1615
Major LCF Poster!

Down a bit today, somewhere between 1 to 2 lbs. Can't tell as my scale wouldn't give me the same reading twice in a row. But it is good to know that stick to my plan for a couple of solid days in a row shows results. Would love to be back to my low weight within a few days!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #1616
Major LCF Poster!

Tracking is the thing for you Misti. It keeps you where you are in the know of what you are eating. Congrats on being down, that means your efforts are surely giving you a great result!!!

I am up a bit. I jumped on sodium like crazy yesterday. Huh. I put tons of salt on everything I ate. Didn't eat alot, but I went salt crazy. Maybe after being sick I was depleted or something??? I am a salt fan anyway but I went overboard. Then I hit tons of water which kinda stayed with me.

All good tho. Staying on plan and I love when it gets easier and easier long I stick to lower carbs. I know where I need to be, I just gotta remind myself to keep my butt doing what I do best. stay with lc days all the time and just relax and let the magic happen.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #1617
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---sounds like you'll be at your low weight soon. I believe that in The A and S of LC living they said weight can fluctuate up to 4 pounds either way due to water. I think we have to eat a lot a couple days in a row to actually gain a lb of fat. The crappy thing about the water weight is sometimes it masks fat loss, which we feel in our clothes. Glad to hear your feeling more in the zone.

Trigger---I'm not a big salter of my foods, but do love sausage and brats and JJs unwiches which can include a lot of salt. Then there's the bacon and corned beef (hubby made CB and cabbage the other night, yum, but I felt like a water balloon the next day, although it came off fast.) SO yeah, the water weight thing can get to us. We just have to drink more water to balance it all out.

Down 2 lbs today to 192.4, bouncin' Blue. I see this as a plateau with a water park on it, LOL. Had a cheeseburger on a LC bun for lunch. For dinner hubby is making spaghetti---which is going to give me the chance to use my new zoodler! One of those gizmos that makes spaghetti noodles out of zucchini.
Will report back how that all works.

November pretty day here, certain quality of light---so lovely.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #1618
Major LCF Poster!

Hi ladies. I had not one, but two posts disappear on me yesterday. The site was acting crazy and I see neither of my posts made it.

So .. long story short (hopefully ). I was keeping my calories based on a BMR/TDEE basis. I'm in agreement I may need to lower my calories. And, after doing some more reading in the '72 thread, I saw where I hadn't done those first two weeks right at all. The way the book is laid out, it looked like veggies were to be included. They aren't until later. Another '72-er just found out the same thing.

So ... we are both going to begin again and see if we can get this thing going. She and I are the same weight wise, so it'll be interesting to see if we're able to crack this (non)stall!

Thanks again for your suggestions and insights - they are appreciated! I may come back here if it looks like I'm just going to have eat low carb and not follow any specific plan.

Y'all are the best, thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #1619
Major LCF Poster!

oh GIRL I SO WANT the water park also!!!!!

I have a 16 bathing suit I am dying to fit into.

believe me I can be a size 8-10 and still need a 16 bathing suit LOL

I love losing weight thru winter time. then I know come summer my bathing suit time will hit. I live in suits at the beach, pools, cutting grass, you name it and I want to be in a suit

up a bit for me. ate very very late last night. something I don't normally do. 9:30. shrimp salad only but it reflected on the scale. so no biggie, it will change up and my scale should be back to normal.

got 195 in my sights and I want to see that so bad on the scale. I have to fight a bit harder for it.

stay strong everyone! Blue you are doing great and Misti I hope tracking is paying off for ya!!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #1620
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck, Vanilla Latte.

Trigger---Yeah, you want to talk about bathing suits? At 5'll" so many of them are so short through the body for me they threaten to boomerang me to moon trying to get the straps up over my shoulders. I finally found a catalogue with "talls" for suits. Still, putting any suit on at the beginning of the summer has often been, ummmm, something that needs an accessory---like a paper bag over my head. But not this coming summer. No sir. We are going to be pin up quality---for seniors,

We always eat on the late side, usually around 7 or 7:30, but later at parties. I've often wondered how much that effects the scale the next am. Only weigh myself once a day when I wake up---couldn't take it any more. I know Misti gets different readings during the day.

Bet you can get to 195 by Thanksgiving.

Cold and dreary here today, but I don't care because I'm home and cozy and it's my fave night of the week, FRIDAY. Yes!!!! Better week at work, but still super duper busy, and a bit bumpy. Leaving it behind till Monday.

Had a Greek salad for lunch at edit again today. Then I had 2 MINI Reese's peanut butter cups out of a colleague's snack bag. Then looked up the carbs.
11 carbs!!!! Those things are half the size of my thumbnail, for pete's sake. Ouch. RX---3 more glasses of water, LOL.

Chili with black beans tonight, which are a bit less carbs than the usual and hubby promised more meat and onions and less beans. Movie night for us, don't know which one yet, whatever we find ON Demand that we like.

Happy Friday pals!
Closed Thread