Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #1381
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Misti---my neighbor made a LC Asian Zing sauce that was out of this world. I'll try to get the recipe from her and share it, if I can remember. She did drummies and wings on the grill w/it and they were sensational. But i think you could also use it broiling or baking.

Trigger---Badda boom! A pound and a half down! You're on your way again! I say just keep eating as much LC as you want until you want less. And you will.
Glad I don't particularly like beer, as there's really no substitute for it. I like vodka---no carbs, can mix it with a lot of sugar free things.

As for non alcoholic drinks, here's an idea I picked up in Cartagena. SO DELISH. Blend ice, coconut milk and Chrystal light lemonade in a blender. Of course down there it was real lemonade, but I tried it with Chrystal light and it was great. Add a bit of fresh mint at the end. Tomorrow I'm going to try it with Chrystal Light cherry pomegranate. Great way to get more coconut, no carbs and positively yummy!

Good day today! Great day at work for reasons I won't bore y'all with, but you gotta love those days and give note.

I've had a nappa cabbage salad so far today, and that's it. Off to meet a business pal for dinner and go over some stuff. Will order very Low carb.

Dropped 2 more pounds today. That's half of the eight gone so far. I'm so happy this much of it was bloat and that it does come off sooner than later.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #1382
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: honeysock
Stats: 211.5/211/150
WOE: low-carb/SB
Start Date: first time on lowcarb: 1972! (I was 13 : ) )
Hi Misti, Trigger, Blue--sorry I've been MIA. Got back from Santa Fe late Monday and hit the ground running at work Tuesday morning. I took on 3 overloads along with my regular 5 classes this semester, and it's just now sinking in how much time that's going to eat up. Plus I started re-doing my guest bath/guest room this week in our 1970's time machine house so my sister can come visit.

I haven't even gotten on the scale since I got back, I ate so many carbs over Labor Day weekend. We stayed in Santa Fe two nights and ate at Maria's, one of our all-time favorites, then went up to my brother's cabin near Mora, which is "off the grid" as he calls it. No electrical, plumbing, internet, etc. Had a great time though.

It is so reassuring to get back on here and read through your week. I always feel so guilty and undisciplined after a vacation/weight gain. Reading through your posts reminds me that although we all live different lives across the globe, we are facing the same daily challenges.

Blue, loved loved loved reading about your fairy-tale wedding adventure. So sorry about the ankle! Parts of that post made me lol though. ("Dr. Blue" . . . ) Your descriptions--esp. of the smoke and the monks--sound like something out of a movie!

Misti, it is so inspiring to read about your losses. Reading your posts underscores for me that this requires long-term dedication. I am usually not a quitter, but I am the kind of person that likes to see instant results and long-term projects for me of ANY kind are not my cuppa. I guess that's why losing as much weight as I need to is sooo hard. I didn't weigh this morning, but I'm going to go in there when I finish this post and FACE the MUSIC. Also, a belated thank you for the biscuit link!

Trigger, thanks for ending all your posts with encouragement! I am needing that right now! Felt fat all day yesterday in too-tight jeans, carrying around bloat from the weekend, but reading through your ups and downs helps. I also love hearing your meal plans. I think, "OH! Hot dogs sound so good right now!" I forget that sometimes simple and easy is best, and tastes really good!

Some good things from our trip: I went to a Trader Joe's for the first time ever and was AMAZED. Almond flour, $3.99! I usually pay $12.99 for the same amount! Bought (too much) Two-Buck Chuck and a few other things. Also went to the Farmer's Market and got some fantastic --expensive--chili powder. The Husband has demanded I dig the guy's card out of my purse and order more online right now. I've made fish and steak with it, haven't even tried an enchilada sauce yet. It makes regular chili powder taste like dirt. This guy also sells ground green chiles--gonna order some of that too.

I quit WW. Wasn't going to the meetings, realized I was getting much better support here (how much do I owe you guys???? ), and that I could use the savings to buy some new scales which I need. Mine have been emotionally abusing me: I'll weigh and they'll show a two-pound loss, which makes me so excited and motivated, and then I'll weigh an hour later, after, you know, and it'll be up 2.5 lbs., as if the first weighing was a joke, just to be mean.

Office hours only today; it feels SOOO good to catch up. Hopefully routine will set in now that summer is finally and officially over. Whew. : ) Y'all have a great Friday! Sorry for the long post. Z-z-z-z-z- : )
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #1383
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Trigger - Congrats on the drop!!! Glad you have been able to stick with it. And having a loss after a beer - even better.

Blue - I would love the recipe for the Asian Zinger sauce is you can get it. DH is wanting me to make a LC hoisin sauce but I haven't been inspired to do so since the recipes I have found don't seem to have many reviews. Wow, that coconut lemonade drink sounds great. I actually have some leftover coconut milk in the freezer that I froze in small cubes last weekend Those would work really well I think! Glad work is going well.

Honeysock - Good to see you! Glad you had a great time in Santa Fe. I so wish there were a Trader Joe's by me. The nearest one is over two hours away. I've been to that one and one near my parent's house a few times so I know they have great stuff. I hear you on the scale thing. I bought a new one a few months ago that had good reviews, but I have the same problem with mine. I weighed this morning and it said 224, so I was very excited but then I tried three more times and in the course of two minutes I "gained" over 2 lbs. So I don't trust it anymore than my old scale which did the same thing. My mother had the same brand of scale - EatSmart, but a different model and she is able to calibrate hers whenever she wants. I have to take out the batteries out of mine to recalibrate. Whenever I stepped on hers when I was there in August it was the same every time. I am seriously thinking of ordering her model even though I just got the one I have recently.

Well, I got my blood tests back and everything was fine except for my free T3 (thyroid hormone) was low, as it was before, and another one she did called Anti-Nuclear Antibody (ANA) was positive which means I could have an autoimmune problem. She's having me see Rheumatology about it on Sept 18, since I have recently developed the Raynaud's syndrome, which isn't typical when you are my age (43). So she thinks there may be an underlying autoimmune problem. I feel great otherwise, so we shall see. She also wants me to get a colonoscopy (ugh) since I have irritable bowel syndrome but because I am under 50 I have to meet with the GI doc first. Haven't scheduled that one yet.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #1384
Major LCF Poster!

honeysock---so happy to see you back here. And so good to know that by being here, you're seeing we all have our struggles, but with support and persistence we are all making our way, the pace of which is not the issue. I truly believe that we have time to move our mountains, and that doing it together, w/our cozy little group here, is a joy. I really look forward to reading day by day what we're all up to, and how we've all got our eye on the prize, in the best way that is individual to us.

Sounds like you've got yourself a real load when it comes to B.T.S. So, you check in when you can and know we're here for you, and that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Oh, and one more thing. I LOVED your long post. I'm always a bit embarrassed about how gabby I can get here and how long my posts appear when I click on "Submit Reply." I think of y'all as sort of "pen pals" and even though it is our woe that draws us together, I can't help but enjoy all the fringe benefits of getting to know each other in other ways.

Misti---I've got a note to get you that recipe. I'm telling you, it was SO TASTY.

Good to hear how well your tests came back, and good to hear that you are exploring those issues that may be amiss. Like honeysock, I am always inspired by your drive to the finish line---not just regarding weight, but regarding your bravery in looking at the whole health picture. I must admit, I'm scared to death of Drs. appointments. They are very high anxiety for me. I am maybe learning to get my courage up through your posts.

Trigger---missed you here today. Always miss you when you're not here. But life is fast and busy and we do what we can, and I know we'll hear from you when, like all of us, you have that peaceful moment in time when we say to ourselves, I gotta see what my little LC corner of the internet is up to!

OMG, gals, I'm so mind tired tonight and so happy it's a Friday night. My life has been "dynamic" lately, and that's fun and tiring. It's been LARGE lately, mostly in good ways, but also in some difficult ways.

Last night I was greeted w/the news that one of my clients had died in a freak accident. Again, I won't bore you w/the details, only want to say that life is so FRAGILE. We just never know. And I spent today both grieving this individual, and feeling so blessed I'm still on this earth, breathing in and out. Tired, sad about the loss, happy about other things, and in general, just glad to be alive.

Had another good LC day today. And this morning I dropped another 2 pounds, so now I'm less than a pound away from being in onederland again. I'm ever so glad this weight has dropped off fast, and hoping it's not over. But you know, I just know that it's all going to be OK, if I hang in there and do what I've been doing most of the time since I went LC.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #1385
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Hi, I have been on and off Atkins in some form for 11 years and the last time I lost we'll doing low carb my way...but now there is a group! Yay!

I usually eat wayyyy less than 20 carbs because well, it's simple, but some times I may eat 35. I feel bad because I cheated today a little...had about a cup or so of buttered popcorn....eeeek

Yesterday I ate

Breakfast/lunch pizza with half piece of flat outs, Bella vita sauce, cheese and a bit of green pepper and pepperoni with some black olives, 10 carbs

Snack half a lavash bread rolled with 2 oz cream cheese and 1 tbs of sf jelly, Splenda and cinnamon and butter on outside and grilled in a bit of butter till hot and crispy....yuuuuummmo. Carbs 6

Dinner 5 leftover chicken wings 0 carbs

Today...different story

Breakfast 1minute muffin, half flax, half almond meal, with cream cheese/sf jelly mix, 6 (I call this poopoo bread)

No lunch

Dinner, half pita Joseph's, 2 beef Oscar Meyer hotdogs, cheese, 1 slice onion chopped with sf sweet relish, mixed with mustard...delish. 6-7 carbs

All good till kids made popcorn...pregnant daughter and 5 yr old grandson happy to share....had about a cup. Figure about 15 carbs.

Still under 35 for day, hopefully maintained and stayed in kerosine, thos pc caused me to crave as I'm hungry now.

I'm glad this thread is here!!

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #1386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Honey, you sure sound like you have a giant load hitting you full force right now. Quitting WW? I didn't know you were doing the meetings. I guess you are doing a low carb version of WW??

Please message me the guys online site to order that chili. I am a fan and if all others taste like dirt, then I want some. NOW!

Misit, the colonscopy is easy. hubby had 2 over the years cause of IBS type things and he came out fine. I KNOW, 100% his is food related. while I cleaned up his meals in general, he still eats so much junk it goes thru those guts like white on rice. the better he eats the better his gut yet ya would think the guy would figure it out and jump on board. but oh no, giant arbys roast beef sandwiches and then a few hrs hitting the bathroom. duh, can we do math. 1+1=2? HAHA

but hope all comes out good for you. tests are good when ya gotta kinda find out what might be going on inside ya and get an early jump on any problems that might hit.

Blue congrats on those lbs dropping. bloat is so different. it just isn't real and when pushed with water and lighter lc eating it drops so fast it is wonderful. at least when we do go overboard, life doesn't crap on us, it does treat us good letting us see those bloat lbs. fall off extremely fast. gives one a high

and you are right. life is fragile. everything can change in the blink of an eye. while we can't live scared, everyone should live to the fullest and smartest they can and enjoy it all along the way. putting everything into perspective is important for a good balanced life for me.

ok---bit of a long one here but I 'felt it and 'saw' it----all because of a new pair of boots.

It is a moment. I had one. My old horseback riding boots fell apart. the heel split right off loved loved loved those things. over 15 yrs old. like a friend to me HAHA

So I go online and order new riding boots. I got brown instead of black and got them 'more fancy' than my plain boots. THEY ARE FAB! But they are more of a dressy boot and all of the sudden I pictured myself in Fall, walking in crisp cool air, wearing beautiful SMALLER clothes in autumn colors, with tight skinny jeans and my new boots. I SEE myself thin. I can picture it so clear it was weird.

new motivation kicked in. I was wanting it. You know when you get slack, need something to ''really'' boost you ahead. This is it. Me, being thin, enjoying life, great fall clothes, beautiful light sweaters, snazzy boots and having that 'really good feeling of how ya look' and being at peace.

I know. Sounds a bit nutso but it did something for me. I am Southeast so Fall comes very late here. Around the end of Nov. I am thinking a light jacket/sweater so I have time to get thinner by Nov. about 3 months I am going to push it to the limit. A new goal. New purpose. New motivation.

Motivation is key to keep a long project (like working on ourselves) going in the right direction. I found some again In a crazy way, but I found it, all cause I ordered pretty boots online and they arrived and kicked my motivation in the butt again

alot of smiley faces thru here. just kinda feel happy again. I like that.

So lets all of us find some new motivation. It can be hiding in the stupidest of places, like a pair of boots arriving in the mail, or somewhere right in front of ya. grab it guys!!!!

HI NURSEYPOO!! welcome to the thread. We do it our way and it seems to be working for all of us
join in and chat away.

Last edited by Trigger828; 09-07-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #1387
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Did anyone notice I was hoping I'd still be in KEROSINE today....meant ketosis hehehe stupid autocorrect!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #1388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, I see anything with a K and think ketosis right off the bat without even really seeing the word.

good day yesterday. on lc. simple and easy. basic meals. nothing fancy. works best for me that way.

got my mind thinking of a big old plate of chicken wings. I love buffalo style. YUM

heading off to moms to goof off a bit at the lake. relaxing day. maybe some laundry but today is that day of kinda doing nothing

hope everyone is doing good.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #1389
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Sunday!

Blue - so glad the bloat is dropping off fast. You'll be back in onerland very, very soon!

Trigger - awesome news on the new found motivation. The boots sounds fab! Visualization is supposed to be a very powerful tool - so don't stop now!

Nurseypoo - glad to see you here! Welcome to the group! It sounds like you will fit right in! I have been known to have a bit of popcorn here or there myself. Plus the hot dogs and chicken wings sound VERY familiar!

I made a chocolate one minute minute muffin for lunch today, made with oat fiber, and let's just say I had a recurrance of my IBS. I seem to do better with flax-based muffins, so I guess I'll stick to those. Don't eat them very often but it's a nice treat once in a while. I think my son (10 yo) has inherited IBS from me becuase he says he has bathroom issues every time he eats the Mission LC tortillas. He says they are too much fiber for him! He had those for lunch, poor guy. His birthday is in a couple of weeks so we need to work on planning his birthday party, he wants one but doesn't seem very interested in figuring out what we will do. Hit a new low of 223.6 yesterday, but bounced back up a pound today. Oh well, as long as the scale moves down overall it's fine.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #1390
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I LOVE your post! Makes me happy to hear you so happy and motivated. I so get the boots thing! And I too like to visualize and look forward to less of me. I love fall and fall clothes and oh boy, boots and skinny jeans and a great sweater sounds good to me too---so if you don't mind, I'm going to steal that idea and use it!

Misti---New number! Even it only peeked at you, and then hid again. It will be back, and probably within a few days. Haven't tried those one minute muffin things yet. Did try other LC muffins and breads and didn't like them, So I just depend on my TJ's sprouted wheat and the Sara Lee stuff when I want a bread treat.

Welcome nurseypoo! I usually hit around 30 carbs a day, and 35 isn't bad either. It's nice to know you can have a popcorn treat and not have it add up to a bad day. When hubby and I go to the movies I eat 1 kernal at a time (used to be a handful at a time) and try to end up at a cup (used to be a half a bucket, lol) Glad you've joined us, it's a great little group here.

Missed my check in yesterday because I was so tired from my work week back from vacation that I just sacked out on the sofa all day. Lazy as I could be. Felt good. Had
hot dogs for lunch and BWW for dinner.

Woke up not feeling well, queasy stomach. So haven't eaten anything yet. Nothing sounds good. Might do an artichoke, that sounds almost good.

I'm one pound from onederland. No drop today for the first time since I returned. Thinking I might be down to the real pounds now. We'll see. Still hoping a couple more pounds drop quickly to get me to where I was, then pick up my usual pace of loss.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #1391
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Misti that IBS stuff is miserable. At least you can determine what is causing problems and can eliminiate. pretty soon you will be a healthy machine once you get your foods down and how you react to them

Blue usually I don't visualize but for some reason this one is vivid. And I am on my way there. I got some bucks aside for new fall clothes and I am actually doing well again on plan. Congrats on fast loss of that bloat. You are doing great.

for me yesterday on plan perfect. No loss, huh? but I got that thinner feeling. no carb bloat. means alot on how I feel. today's menu on plan and stickign to it. will get that scale moving down and down for sure.

We can all do this our way and make it successful! Lets keep rolling!!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #1392
Senior LCF Member

Hi all! Was up at 5 this morning, typed up a nice long, chatty post, but I guess my submit finger is BROKEN or somethin' . . . it disappeared. Drat it.

Anyhoo, welcome Nurseypoo! I actually recognize your avatar from all my lurking days on these boards over the years. Popcorn and bread (any way size shape or form) are my two big weaknesses. I could never stop at just one cup of popcorn. I don't go near it.

Trigger, I've been walking around all morning with a vision of pumpkins and falling leaves and you singing along, kicking those leaves in your skinny jeans and shiny new boots. You GO girl! That was a great post!

Blue, here's to seeing onederland again soon! Sorry you were feeling poorly. Better today, I hope? And how's the ankle?

Misti, I have occasional bouts of self-diagnosed IBS, which have become less frequent since I discovered my egg intolerance two yrs ago. (Stupid me: guess what I had three bites of yesterday for brunch? And guess how I feel today???) Good luck with the colonoscopy. And big congrats on the new low, even if was just a glimpse! Still counts as progress, since it's going in the right direction!

Had Rockfish for supper last night. Ate two veggies with flounder, but also some rice. Shame. I need to stand in front of the mirror and practice saying to the waitress, "Please, don't put any [insert auto-carbs here] on the plate."

Tiled my bathroom floor over the weekend and ran out of tile, right around the toilet. So that part of the bathroom is out of commission until Home D-pot gets more tile in.

Have a great Monday, everyone!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #1393
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---well, this morning I was going through clothes getting ready for fall, and tried on some skinny jeans I'd bought last April, after I'd lost about 10 pounds. They are now way to big for me. Sweet. So I've got my eye on some new ones. And I think I need some boots to go with mine too.

Congrats on the perfect day on plan. Love those. How's you appetite? Decreasing any? We know if we stay on plan it works in its own good time.

Honeysock---Wow, I'm impressed. You tiled your own bathroom?! I'm all thumbs at that kind of thing and the hubby isn't much better. We are redoing our bathroom this fall and thankfully have a beloved and trusted cousin who is going to do it for us. Can't wait, it really needs an update!

LOL on the "mirror/waitress practice." I think once you get into the LC groove deeper and deeper---concerning not just the habit of it, but mostly the REWARDS in looking and feeling better, you'll get better at giving directions to the waiters.

My ankle is better, pretty darn good as a matter of fact. Still a bit swollen, particularly if I have to be on it for any length of time, but all in all improving. Could have been much worse. Thanks for asking.

Yippppppeeeeeee. Back in onderland! And by over 2 lbs. Dropped almost three pounds to 197.6 today, which is exactly where I was when I left for Cartagena. So a bit over 8 lbs of bloat gone in exactly a week. I have to say, I'm amazed. As I have not gone off plan the way I did in Cartagena, before now on this woe. Happy to know one can get right back on the wagon, and w/clean LC meals and lots of water that bloat rolls off fast.

Now I look forward to seeing some entirely new numbers. I'd like to be at 190 by Nov. 1, which is about a pound a week and in the ball park of my average loss.

Today so far it's been a cup of BPC, which I hadn't had in awhile and tasted great. Small scoop of chicken salad for lunch. Feeling better, but still not that hungry. Grilled and "Guy's" BBQ pork chop and sliced tomatoes from the garden for dinner. Maybe some fresh blackberries and cream for dessert. It's so cool to me how all this satisfies me and sounds good to me, despite the yummy carbs I enjoyed in Cartagena, which did not set off a carb binge for me, and I'm so grateful for that. Of course you never know when that's going to change, and I sure am humble to that. Day by day, that's the only way.

Happy Monday to everyone. Hope y'all are having a good one.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #1394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HoneyS, you have to SAY IT! You just gotta say it and it is hard, but when that waitress is there to order, you gotta say --double the veggies, no rice I know it is hard. believe me. when we went out for dinner I got the prime rib and it was all I could do to say no potatoe or texas toast for me. steamed veg. I barely got it out of my mouth LOL but you have to say it. You gotta commit to cut 'most' of those foods and get comfortable saying it.

the more junk white rice, junky bread, junky foods you get away from the better. then you can buy brown rice for yourself to eat at home in limited quantities etc. In other words, what is offered out there in the world is the junkier options. buy the 'best' option in the store and make a small portion for yourself. you will find it makes a big difference. it did for me.

Yea now I am thinking about Mary Tyler Moore spinning and throwing her hat in the air. Ah, fall, with leaves falling on her HAHA crazy

home projects. I have a love/hate relationshipwith them.

Blue glad you are feeling better. It is great that bloat isn't real. It CAN BECOME real tho. I got 4 lbs left to lose to hit 199 again. those 4 are real after all the up/down bloat vacations. dang it. but I can tackle them.

I also set a new goal for Nov. 1. I was thinking 12 lbs down LOL we are in the same ballpark.

----today was a 1 lb. drop this morning. take it and run dinner last night ended up being 5 scrambled eggs and 6 slices bacon. woof!

I gotta find some good beef sales. I lose good weight on beef. better than my chicken meals I think cause my chicken I seem to enhance with sauces, cheese, etc. to make a good taste. the steak requires just a tad of garlic butter.

tonight is steak oh yea YUM. if I sell a kidney I can afford steak every night HAHA
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #1395
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Trigger---do you like pork chops? They're not so expensive as good steak and I loved them gilled with Guy's No sugar blazin' bbq sauce. Yum. They are also great as a side to eggs, imo.

MTM---funny! I live in St. Paul right across the river from MPLS, where to this day there's a MTM statue, throwing her hat in the air, on the main downtown street. Loved that show.

Congrats on the 1 lb drop. I have learned on this woe that 1 lb is ALOT, and I no longer poo poo it the way I did on past diets. 1 lb, then another, then another, and pretty soon you're in skinny jeans and great boots, and throwing your hat in the air, LOL!

Busy, busy day at work, and I now have to go to the funeral of my client who passed away last week. So far just a hardees frisco lettuce wrap. There might be something at the service I can eat, if not, I'll figure out something when I get home. Keeping it as LC as I can for awhile here, really want to see those new numbers now that I've lost the bloat.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #1396
Major LCF Poster!

Back from the funeral. This client was very prominent in the community and there were tons of folks there. I cut out immediately afterwards, it was the first funeral I've been to since my father's death last fall, and it was squeezing my heart hard, particularly as this man had children, a wife and grandchildren and I felt their pain so keenly. At least my dad died of old age, at almost 92 in his bed. This person died in a freak accident, here today, gone tomorrow.

So I just checked in again to say, that coming home is sometimes the best medicine for everything. I was so glad to walk back into my kind of messy right now, but very cozy house, that represents our family and everything dear to me.

I'm making one of my fave salads for dinner. Chopped romaine lettuce, bacon, hard boiled eggs, onions and my very delish homemade sugar free french dressing----it's SO GOOD on this. Squeeze of lemon over the top of it all. Going to enjoy it and then snuggle into my bed and read. My heart needs a rest.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #1397
Major LCF Poster!

Blue. So sorry to hear about your client. Unexpected deaths are so hard. Glad you are able to find some comfort at home.

Yea on the drop Trigger! Just a few more pounds, in no time the 2's will be in the rear-view mirror.

An egg intolerance would be really hard, honeysock. I don't eat tons of eggs but avoiding them all the time would be very tough. I will agree that I am impressed you tiled your own bathroom! I make my husband do all that kind of stuff. I'm glad he's good at it. He and his dad put on a new garage roof this weekend.

Back again to 223.6 this morning, so hope it sticks this time. I've been much hungrier lately for some reason and I've been eating more calories. I'm at a point where if I restrict too much I think it could backfire on me, so I would rather eat more low carb foods and not worry about it too much. Blue, I think your decision to no longer track has rubbed off on me. I'm still tracking, just not worrying about it if I skip a day or meal here or there. I think sometimes I was restricting my food choices just to make it easier to track.

So, I need to go to a work pot-luck type thing on Saturday. Apparently they will have meat (burgers, hot dogs, I assume) for the grill but we are to bring a side dish or dessert to share. I need to figure out something (probably a side dish) that DH and I can eat that would also appeal to normal people, LOL. But DH has a lot of dislikes, for example he won't eat mayonaisse, cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, sour cream, ranch or really any salad dressing. Pretty much anything white and creamy he hates, though he will tolerate yogurt sometimes. So it anyone has any great ideas let me know. I'll probably troll the recipe forum too.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #1398
Senior LCF Member

Trigger, you are right--I know you're right! I always think eating out's a treat and I can fudge a little, but then it becomes a runaway train. I have to start thinking of special events and dining out as part of my woe/low-carb lifestyle, not an exception. Last night we celebrated a special event with my sister and I made a great low-carb meal with a steak "sampler" and twice-baked cauliflower casserole . . . but I made bread . . . and ate some. I tell myself she expected it, but that was just an excuse. Because we were celebrating! I have to learn to reach for an alternative to temptations like that. Celebrations, holidays, etc. are never ever going away. I have to learn to work with them. Otherwise I'm spinning my wheels.

Blue, glad you had a go-to favorite dinner after an emotional day like that one. I hope you read yourself to sleep last night and then slept peacefully. Also, dropping your bloat so quickly is inspiring. If I had your discipline my 12-year bloat would not be haunting me. : / I am propelling myself visually to November and a 12-lb drop. If I follow your lead . . .

Misti, I only tiled our bathroom because the guy we hired to do it was a no-show, and I have no patience. I want things done NOW. : ) We had all the stuff, I had tiled before, so I just said "Ef it, I'll do it." And I did, barefoot, and cut my foot, which is not good since our "Walk Across Texas" challenge at work started Monday. But I hobbled through 10,626 steps yesterday. Who knew housework was so step-filled? I should weigh 105! A not-creamy side-dish is challenging, I think, unless you do a hot vegetable? Or how about a vegetarian chili? It would be a veggie that could also act as a topping for hot dogs. Or if you can find black soy beans, you could make your own low-carb bean dip or refried beans. Or, mix the black soy beans with a big pot of green beans, bacon, and onions. Making myself hungry here. . .

Have a great Wednesday evening, y'all.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #1399
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---kind of stumped on a side dish idea without any of the things you listed your hubbby doesn't like. I do have a great recipe for a watermelon salad w/feta, olives, chopped onions, feta, olive oil, lemon juice and other good stuff.
It is delish and so refreshing. Carb count on watermelon isn't too bad. That's about all I can think of right now.

honeysock---Heh, don't know how "disciplined" I am, particularly in some areas, but as I've said before, for me, the longer I've done LC the easier it gets. I had to lasso up a lot of LC choices in the beginning, experiment w/easy recipes and research the possibilities, including good LC fast food. Now I like my food, and w/my appetite decreased some it doesn't feel like I'm having to discipline myself, but rather a combination of habit and satisfaction.

One note on the ordering out thing, I go to the restaurant site before I go out, if there is one, and most do have one. I choose my menu before I go, or at least get it down to a couple of choices. Keeps me from getting ambushed by my naughty twin when I get there. The step challenge sounds cool.

Oh and BTW, just put black soybeans on hubby's shopping list, keep forgetting, thanks for the reminder. That's another example of finding the right foods and substitutes for what you're not having. Now I can have chili, refried bean dip, and even molasses beans, my fave, as long hubby goes light on the molasses. He's the cook around here, and a darn good one, can taste his way into almost any excellent LC substitution---and he's a gem to do it because as lean and lanky as they come and can eat what ever he wants.

Busy kind of aggravating day, but it's settling down now. So far a hot dog, w/onions, tomatoes and pickles. Didn't know the hubby was planning brats for tonight, so not a lot of variety in my diet for today! May treat myself to a Sara Lee 8 NC hot dog bun w/it, since my carbs are very low so far today.

Good to be past "hump day" and closer to the weekend!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #1400
Major LCF Poster!

And one more thing.

Misti---and anyone else here interested, I've been meaning to get back to you with that LC Asian Zing recipe for chicken wings. Again, I'm telling you these grilled are so freaking delicious. So here it is:

Lo-Carb Asian Zing Sauce:

· 2 tsp cornstarch
· 4 tsp rice wine vinegar
· 5/6 cup Splenda
· 3 Tbsp water
· 1/4 cup chili-garlic sauce
· 1 Tbsp soy sauce
· 1 tsp lemon juice
· 1/4 tsp ground ginger
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1/4 tsp garlic powder

1. Dissolve corn starch in rice wine vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.

2. In a small sauce pan combine remaining ingredients.

3. Add corn starch and rice wine vinegar mixture and stir well.

4. Heat mixture on low/medium heat, stirring often until sauce reaches a boil and thickens.

5. Remove from heat, allow it to cool then cover it and chill it until ready to use.

Note: This is an altered version of a BWW Asian Zing sauce from the “Top Secret Recipes” web-site.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #1401
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all. Jumping in quick to say---New number today! 195.8, which is almost a two pound drop. Feels so good, after getting rid of those 8 pounds of bloat to actually drop below where I was when I left for Cartagena. Feel like I'm on my way again! Will be back later to check in w/my food choices for today. Going to reward myself w/a trip to the grocery store now to buy some of my fave LC treats.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #1402
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the recipe, Blue! I have both srichacha and sambal oelek but no chili garlic sauce! I'll pick some up this weekend so I can make the Asian Zinger sauce. I'll probably sub some glucomannan for the cornstarch but otherwise it looks great.

Oh, my husband doesn't like feta cheese either. That's included in the "white and creamy" category. No feta, no goat cheese, no blue cheese, etc. We're avoiding beans too. Not ready to try black soybeans yet, though I know they are low(er) carb. My husband actually LOVES beans, so I am concerned it may be a trigger for him to have some...could be a slippery slope. So I'm still looking for something to bring. Maybe I'll just do a relish tray with pickles, olives (hubby doesn't like those either but tough), cubed cheese, salami, a few veggies, etc. Not enough for us to eat if there is nothing else but we'll survive.

Honeysock, special events can be tough. It can take a while to adjust, and I am sure there are some people who never do, but I have done a good job I think of making the events about something other than the food. The food is not the celebration, the event is. Now, I'm not perfect. For a special trip like my cruise last March I went off-plan quite a bit. And Blue's trip to Cartagena was once in a lifetime. But for a birthday party or holiday dinner, I try to enjoy myself while sticking with things that fit my WOE. Now, I do eat some non-LC things once in a while (tortilla chips, popcorn) but in very small amounts that fit into my daily carb count. If you can do that, great. If they cause cravings then it would be best not to go there. It's tough, but this is a long road so don't be too hard on yourself!

Weight is still hanging out just around 224. Fine for now. I had JJ's #16 Club Lulu unwich for lunch. New guy working wrapped the paper inside the lettuce, ugh. But it was tasty as usual. I'll make chicken wings for supper. Wish I had the chili garlic sauce, but I'll probably stick with regular buffalo sauce for tonight.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #1403
Senior LCF Member

Wow Blue!!!!! That's great you dropped two pounds past your bloat gain!

What's on your grocery list for LC treats?

Misti, you give great advice. Since I have a talent for turning ordinary days into *some* reason to celebrate, I really need to put my efforts there, as you suggest. This weekend, The Husband and I are going to a beer tasting at a friend's house. I'm okay with just small tastes of beer (it's all home-brewed, which is the point of the tasting), but they've asked me to make bread. It's kind of what I do. The restaurant we owned had "Bread and Wine" in the name. Boom! There you have it, two of my three favorite things in life. : ) I am planning right now to take something for myself as a substitute for bread. We'll have cheese too, so that's fine. Maybe I'll make some lc tortilla chips or something for my palate cleanser.

And, I'm not giving up on your side dish, Misti! How about an Asian slaw? I don't put mayo in mine, just toasted sesame oil, olive oil, peanuts, soy sauce, ginger and other spices/herbs, plus some Splenda. Or maybe you could do . . . curried deviled eggs; Copper pennies made with DaVinci's caramel syrup, Splenda, cinnamon, and brown butter; Roasted Brussels sprouts, pumpkin seeds, and garlic chips "salad"; Baked squash, onion, bacon, and cheddar casserole with crushed pork rinds on top; Spaghetti squash tossed with olice oil, garlic, olives, parmesan, tomatoes, and basil. (Can you tell I love menu-building . . . and just cooking for a crowd in general?)

Trigger, will have a chili-tasting report soon! I think there's a secret but I need to test my hypothesis first . . .

Stuck at work all day, heading to a salad bar for lunch right now. Have a great Thursday, everyone!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #1404
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Let me know what you think of the asian zing wings, hubby going to make them next week. Just to note, the ones we had at neighbors' were grilled, don't know what they'd be like oven baked, but flavor is very good.

I agree with every word you wrote to honeysock!

honeysock---wowza, you have my mouth watering with all those yummy side dish ideas. You sound like one heck of a cook. And I'm so with you on the bread thing---miss it much, but knowing I can occasionally enjoy it like I did in Cartagena makes me feel even stronger about my woe, knowing there is some flexibility and there will be bread somewhere in my future.

Went to Trader Joes and got fresh artichokes, three great cheeses, Pistachio nuts, TJ's Sprouted Wheat bread (4 NCs/slice) some shrimp to stir fry, ---would lOVE to hear a few of your ideas for a simple, tasty LC shrimp stir fry!!!!----strawberries and raspberries, and HWC to pour on them, (with sprinkle of splenda), Belgian endive and blue cheese/apple/pine nut dip to stuff them with. Was thinking how much I love all this stuff and how satisfied it keeps me.

And, LC has pushed me into the more European or NYC way of buying groceries, every couple of days, all fresh, eat what you have, then go back for more. Stops a lot of waste I've found.

Artichoke for lunch, berries and cream for snack, ribs for dinner. Happy.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #1405
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yeah, congrats on the drop Blue! Meant to mention that in my last post. The Asian slaw sounds intriguing, honeysock! I think I'll look for a specific recipe and make it Sat am, iif it tastes good I'll bring it. Will probably still do some salami and cheese too.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #1406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

my scale isn't moving eating lc but I think too much now. I am hogging down the meats LOL and I think it is time to reign it in a bit. but cravings are cut, appetite is suppressing but my portions are huge still. Time for just a bit of tweaking. All is good tho!! just gotta get the ducks in a row.

Honey I am waiting to hear about the chili. the season for chili is coming fast. fall is just around the corner and I love ''chili on a chilly day'' (get it ) haha

Also you have to stop thinking of 'normal dinners' that you would put together. I always think main food, side dishes, bread/rolls, desserts. You have to change it up and think LC for all components even if a celebration until you can pass by the rolls etc.
Also you are in a hard boat because your social activities are centering around food. beer and bread. yikes.

One of the biggest things I did when starting LC was not go to certain events. It wasn't long. a few months I would bow out of eating out at chinese restaurants wtih the family, I would say no to going out with the gals for a bit but this was all to get a handle on elmininating foods. I ate home in controlled environment. Believe me this got me into lc only because I made sure my tempations were not in my face until I got a handle on lc. It can't work in all situations, but try hard to work on you right now and if cancelling a few events to get your handle on a change of eating is needed, go for it
SOON you can go to these events and have good control. Last time we went chinese buffet everyone pigged out and darn near got sick. I had tons of shrimp and a monster salad and a few bites of chicken. I was the only one who was 'healthy' that night HAHA

Misti, side dishes are one of the hardest to deal with. I swear most of my meals are meat and veg now and none of the traditional side dishs. I mean without noodles, rice, or taters what good sides are left? LOL My hubby runs from mayo screaming

Blue congrats! things are moving nice for you. my stupid leftover lbs are not budging right now. my vacations are still weighing in on me

for me I did something to my hip/leg area. OW and WOW. I was in the toyhauler with hubby discussing some stuff, shifted wtih my leg, went to turn and WhAM. something pulled. stopped me in my tracks. so stupid and simple and bam I am hurting, can barely lift the leg and it wants to give out on me. Plus my one butt cheek is kinda numb. Sciatic nerve? not sure. A bit better today but after some walking it starts to ache from the hip/butt down to the ankle. WELL TIME will heal that. just being careful on how I walkk thru the day and being smart about it all. best I can do now.

everyone hold strong! lc can be trying in a way, but we know it works. I got the skinny gut feeling which I love vs. the carb bloaty tummy so I know eating this way makes a huge diff. to me.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #1407
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---Ouch! Hope your hip and leg are feeling better. That Sciatic nerve can pull some monkey business. It attacked me when I was pregnant and it was not fun. I hate that when life is just skipping along and a split second later you're in pain.

Question. You say you're appetite is going down, yet you feel you're eating too much. I'm curious as to what that's about for you. When my appetite is down I don't want to eat as often, and when I do I eat less than I used to. What you say reminds me of when I started LC and I think I missed my carbs so much that I just had to eat, eat, eat to try to fill that loss, without much regard for filling full.

But that went away, not in a flash, but slowly, say, within 3 months. Then one day I realized things had really changed for me, and my relationship with food was different.(as long as I eat LC, back on carbs I'd have the same lousy relationship I used to have.) I guess I say this because I really do believe our bodies need time to switch back to low carb, and get in the groove. Our minds too. I just think maybe you're starting again in a lot of ways, and I know it's much different now for me than from when I started, as in these words: MUCH BETTER. I know you will get there too.

Had a crappy Gyros Greek Salad for lunch today, from a food truck. My working pals and I usually go to an excellent Greek restaurant, w/the best, freshest, most delish Greek salads you're ever tasted, but the Greek food truck was right in front of the downtown building we work in, and we thought we'd give it a try. Won't be doing that again.

Didn't end up having the ribs last night, hubby to pooped out from his long day to grill, so we had Jimmy John's, me and unwich of course. So tonight we're having the ribs, and
honeysock, my husband is making molasses beans w/black soy beans, onions, bacon and mustard. I LOVE molasses beans w/ribs and burgers or hot dogs and gave them up when I went low carb. So IF I like these with black soybeans, I'm going to be a very happy girl. And even if I don't like them as molasses beans, I think I'll really like them as refried beans----with melted cheese, black olives, onions, sour cream and hot sauce topping!

TGIF---This is one week I'm all over that. Cheers to Friday night!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #1408
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry to hear about your leg Trigger! Hopefully it heals on it's own soon but if not make sure to get it checked out! You wouldn't want any longer term damage. I hear you on the portion sizes. For some reason the past week or so I have been eating a ton. Like today I had over 2,100 calories. Though I'm very full now, so I'm done. My tracker even said if I ate this way every day I would gain a pound in 5 weeks. (Little does it know I jump up and down a pound here and there much more frequently than that). I know LC usualy means calories don't matter as much, but I do think they matter. I will try to be good this weekend and stick to simple things. I made a low carb dessert this week (chocolate chip cookie bars) and I think that got me off the rails a bit. Hopefully we can both get back on track soon.

Blue, sorry the food truck lunch stunk. I had JJ's for lunch yesterday. It was good, as usual. You will all have to report back on these black soy beans. Of course like I said those could be a slipperly slope for me and DH too.

I think I may go out and buy some pants in size 20. The 22's I have are too big but I was hoping to keep going with them until I hit a size 18. But I think wearing too big clothes makes it easier for me to think I'm doing fine when I'm not losing. I have a 25% off coupon for Dress Barn which is where I got my size 22 pants. So for $100 or so I can get enough pants for work for fall that fit right, and hopefully will keep me motivated so that they will be too big by spring. It would be worth it if it works. We'll see.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #1409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue, how were those ribs? that is one thing I can eat a ton of and enjoy every bite! haven't had any in a bit. with cooler weather coming it is time for a menu change. from light summer to heavier winter yummies

I am overloading on cheese mostly. I eat cheese with everything. I can UP a meal in a heart beat with the cheese I eat thru the day. Like, my normal burger is just 1 slice cheese with a dash of ketchup. DONE. but the other day I put on a few tablespoons of tomatoe sauce and LOADED that sucker with mozz. cheese. Overkill to the max. I was in heaven but the calorie count was thru the roof I am sure. Then for dinner instead of just a reg. salad I loaded it with some almonds and shredded cheese.
I know my calorie count is thru the roof. Plus I had 8 GIANT buffalo wings. when ya calorie count those it comes in high actually. I ate light the other day, went to moms, had tuna and then found a can of cashews. Ate 1/2 the can (well, maybe 3/4) calorie overload. While 'appetite is getting lighter' when I eat I want decadent over the top meals cause I feel like I am battling defaulting back to junky carbs.

mind game? could be at this point

Misti, I too am in the mood to shop now. I kept saying NO clothes until smaller size and can get into alot of stuff in my closet, but right now I am in no mans land. baggie capris, way too big shorts, sloppy Ts that are too big. While alot in the closet I can't get into just yet, I think it is time to go out and get 2-3 pairs of great jeans, a few nicer tops to wear out in public I also am wearing baggier stuff and not feeling the waistband. It matters I think.

too bad we all can't get together and go shopping. it would be a hoot !!

weather changing here. funny. usually we swim darn near til Oct. heck it is cold outside and windy. strange weather for the southeast.

being good today. drank alot of water already. had 4 slices bacon only. will be on my lc toes today to be sure I limit myself and stop going overboard. My mind is thinking soups/chili (need report HoneyS), stews and all that. Yum.

ah, boy it is just a battle some days but I can get thru it and so can all of us. day by day we can work on ourselves for the better.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #1410
Major LCF Poster!

I think I will go shopping today. Work pants and maybe a couple of casual tops if I can find some cheap. I think I have enough work tops that fit for fall. Wii Fit says I lost 0.4 lbs. since last Saturday which is a miracle. So it is good to know I can have a week of low carb but higher calorie eating and still lose. I would really like to lose a lot more this week, so I am getting back on track starting now, no eating just to eat. Will only eat when hungry.
Closed Thread