Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #1351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Blue - have a GREAT time in Cartagena! Definitely check in with us if you need a break from packing on Saturday. Planes suck. Make sure to bring some snacks on the plane because the food they have on the plane will likely not be great, nor LC friendly. I hope you have a very smooth experience. Do you have a direct flight?

Honeysock - so glad you've joined us here! I hope we can provide some good support. I really like almond milk as well. If you like chocolate there is even an unsweetened chocolate almond milk made by Almond Breeze, I think, which makes a great "hot cocoa" in the winter. This weekend will be crazy here as well, thanks for the reminder! I think I will try to get my shopping done early this weekend before the students wake up!

Trigger - glad the scale is moving in the right direction for you! For a super quick "cream" soup, I use chicken bouillon (I buy the "Better than Boullion" which is kind of a paste form of bouillon) and then add heavy cream. Super easy, fast and tastes great. Thanks for the tip on the Morton Lite Salt. I actually do have some in the cabinet, I just always forgot to use it. I should, though, because I know it has postassium in it, and most days I am not getting enough postassium but I do get enough sodium.

I dropped a pound of the salt bloat today, hopefully the other pound will be off tomorrow. I need some more water tonight, I got kind of dehyrated today working at an outdoor event for new students for 3.5 hours today without drinking much.

Let's all have a great weekend!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #1352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Misti---No, not a direct flight. But only one stop, 5 hour layover. We're planning on having breakfast at the airport here, lunch during the 5 hour layover, so plane food should not be a problem. And the good news is we'll be in Cartagena at 4:30pm tomorrow, in time for dinner!

Well all, I'm getting packed, then will run a few errands. I've been thinking about my woe and this vacation. I realize that I want to enjoy the cuisine of this country, want to try new things and not be worried about the carbs. Which is not to say I'm giving myself a permission slip to go hog wild. Fish, seafood and salads will be good choices I know I'll make. But yeah, there'll be some naughty things I'm going to want to taste and try.

We have a kitchenette, so we'll be able to make guacamole, sliced meats, cheeses, nuts and other easy good LC snacks. And I know we'll be walking a lot, so that will help.

I really want to come back in onederland (and btw, I dropped another pound and a half, second day and holding, yay!---196.5), but if I don't, I'll get back there quickly enough. This is a once in lifetime trip with my entire family, and I'm going to enjoy everything about it, including some new and interesting food treats.

Helps to write this out because I wanted to have an understanding w/myself. Won't go hog wild, will enjoy new things. Will stay on plan much of the time, not all the time. That feels comfortable for me. Thanks for listening.

Hope to be checking in from Cartagena soon! And I'm wishing you all a great week!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #1353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: honeysock
Stats: 211.5/211/150
WOE: low-carb/SB
Start Date: first time on lowcarb: 1972! (I was 13 : ) )
Just a quick note to wave goodbye to Blue:

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #1354
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
BLUE---have a wonderful trip. sure you can splurge a bit. you are in another country at a wedding. you best taste some good things. just avoid the heavy breads etc. and you will be ok. a bit of sweets to try, sure. just be careful as usual. while the foods will be different, carbs/bread/sugar is the same everywhere just be thoughtful of not going overboard and you should have a blast.

Can't wait to hear all about the trip when you get back. SAFE TRAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR ME---in general I am holding my own. had a samll impromptu pool party yesterday. no rain finally, kids came down to swim with DD and one Mom came and we swilled down a few beers chatting. at some crispy bread with dinner. so up a bit but nothing I can't handle.

finally it is over. Monday is school. quiet time. prep meal time for me. hitting the store and getting some meats etc and my lc go to foods and will tackle this all hard!!

I will hit the cream soup recipes and find good ones. thanks!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #1355
Major LCF Poster!

Blue, have a great time! It sounds like you are being very reasonable with your goals. That's what I did on my cruise in March - tried some things that I don't normally eat. I paid for it, but the weight came off quickly. Hope your packing is done. Congrats on the pre-vacation drop and enjoy yourself!!!

The other pound of bloat left me today, so I'm happy for that. Sitting at 226.2 this morning. Thinking of doing some clothes shopping tomorrow, even though it is still very much summer weather. I should probably wait, but there seem to be some good pre-Labor Day sales. It doesn't hurt to try on I guess!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #1356
Major LCF Poster!

Misti those sales are happening around me right now also. I hit some unreal sales in Macy. I didn't buy, cause right now I have enough clothes at this weight. Holding off til I drop another size then hit the stores.

congrats on the bloat gone. feels good right? seeing it disappear

No scale for me this morning.
Tomorrow is first day of school so tomorrow I will hit the scale and re-start a very serious lc schedule. back on commitment!!!! I can't wait actually LOL I am looking forward to an offical re-start serious weight loss day tomorrow! Going ganbusters!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #1357
Major LCF Poster!

So I did go shopping today. I spent more than I expected to, but I think these clothes will be work clothes for all of fall and some or most of winter. I do fit into size 20 pants now, yea! But I only bought one pair of pants, in gray, which I didn't have for summer. I'm going to wear the size 22 pants I have until they are way too loose and hopefully then I can skip right to the size 18. I both both 1X and 2X tops, depending on how they fit. I also got a fall jacket at Walmart. The quality isn't great (the zipper seems sticky) but it only needs to last one season. Now to deal with overflowing closets of too large clothes! I am not ready to sell or give away my 3X stuff yet. I just don't trust my body enough yet. I think I will probably always keep one size up just to be "safe". But I will get rid of the bigger stuff. I need to start an account at one of the local consignment stores this week. I should probably shop at them myself more, but regular stores are nice because I can try on the same item in two sizes if needed.

Haven't eaten much today, I made LC sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast and that was pretty filling, then had some cottage cheese and walnuts for lunch. I think supper will be 5 oz. leftover ribeye from Outback Steakhouse, we went there on Friday for SIL's birthday. Weight is holding steady just about 226. Want to see 225 this week.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and have fun this week for back to school!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #1358
Senior LCF Member

Trigger, back to school for me too today. That's a big YAY!
Misti, I think consignment is a great idea. I've never considered that for my clothes. I do a lot of thrift shopping though, so I don't spend much anyway. (Although I did splurge last week at the Dillard's sale. Hadn't had time to do my usual thrift "hunting" this summer.) And yes, I have tried the chocolate Almond Milk and loved it--can't wait for cool weather so I can try it hot!

I lost all my vacation gain plus another 1/2 lb. last week. Trying to work up a daily routine that's probably going to look something like this:

B: Coffee w/ cream and a cinnamon "roll"*
L: sliced ham or turkey patty, ranch dip, pickles or celery, and 2 c. almond milk
D: meat and veggies/salad

*I'm on a cinnamon kick because of this thread. I'm working on a recipe for a peanut butter, cream cheese, cinnamon, and splenda roll-up on a lc
tortilla that I can cut into 5 pieces for my weekday lunches. I tried a spread made that way this morning on a lc muffin and it was delish , but too many carbs b/c of the muffin, I think.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #1359
Senior LCF Member

Misti, what lc biscuit recipe do you use? Biscuits and gravy sound so good right now!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #1360
Major LCF Poster!

sounds like a great day shopping Misti. seems like you made out good.

consignment is a good way to go. I do alot of goodwill, I get the receipt and write it off on taxes. that way it is one-easy time and I can get credit for it and don't have to think about it again

DEFINITELY GET RID of those bigger clothes VERY SOON. Don't keep them hanging around. Maybe keep ONE pair of the biggest pants and try them on every now and then just to gloat and smile! but keeping one size up is one thing, keeping things way to big need to move on.

---I am wondering about that biscuit also

I did good today. at clean lc and light. bit of dark choc. tonight I shouldn't have had, but considering the way I have been eating, I still do good

hanging in there and getting lc back on track. my mind didn't go to starchy carbs, but thinking of sweets. gotta get them out of the system and fast

keep on rocking down the scale guys. we can get this done!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #1361
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on the loss honeysock! And way to stay motivated Trigger. We can do this! My day yesterday was probably the highest carb day I've had in a long time, approx. 58 g total carb and 19 g fiber, so 39 net carbs. Not too bad, but I ate some chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant which really wasn't necessary. It wasn't worth it, the chips didn't even taste that good. I really like the salsa better than the chips, anyway. I should just eat that with a spoon.

The biscuit recipe I made is from this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...its-lc-gf.html

They were pretty good. Not as light and fluffy as regular biscuits but for low carb they worked well.

I doubled the recipe, and used a total of 3/4 cup buttermilk. You have to make the "Fantastic Flour Mix" aka "Better than Flour Mix" first, but once you have that made it can be stored in a container and used for lots of things. Here's two more threads with lots of other recipes. I've only tried a few but they've all been good:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

I also have some Carbquick and might try the recipe on that box next time just to compare.

Weight is holding steady, somewhere in the mid-226 to mid-227 range. Let's have a good day today!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #1362
Major LCF Poster!

Hola mi amigos y donde esta el bano? That's where is the bathroom and the only Spanish I know. Unlike Mexico and spain, no one speaks english here so it's been interesting. We have been here ourselves, just hubby, son and me till today when the rest of our family arrives---a couple of whom speak Spanish so that will be nice.

Cartagena is exotic---Toucans and roosters everywhere, boganvilla overflowing from the balconies, mounds of fruit on every street corner, tiny gekkos scurrying under your feete and the best coffee ever. It is also as hot and humid as anywher I've ever been. Remembering to drink water is not a problem here as if you don't you're likely to faint away as I came close to doing our first day out. So now we go no where without our water bottles.

The food is fantastic, although we're never quite sure what we're ordering. So far I've been eating fish in all kinds of ways. Also the fried plantains which are delish, but which I only eat small bites of, same is true of the fantastic coconut rice that seems to come w/everything. And oh mercy, the breads!!!!! They are divine everywhere, all different, all amazing. I've been eating about a half a slice a night, in small bites to make it last.

The other amazing thing here is a dessert drink called a Cocoloco. What a concoction of delicious with coco and cocounut butter and rum and who knows what else. But again, my son orders it and I just have sips of his.

All in all I'm feeling good about my plan, sticking to my resolution to be mostly good but not entirely good. I still have a big old tin mouth so don't think anything I've eaten so far has knocked me out of ketosis. And we have walked miles and miles already, so actually this morning I woke up with that thinner feeling.

Good to hear everyone is doing well---good news on the vacation bloat fading honeysock, not to worry about a 39NC day imo, Misti, and trigger, you sound like you're really winding up on the motivation.

later gators, with more to report!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #1363
Major LCF Poster!

Lets have a good day today! good advice and words to live by Misti thanks for posting all the flour info and making biscuits. That info was alot and I will definitely be trying those biscuits.

WOW BLUE---that does sound so exotic!! Bet you are having a blast! Sounds like your eating is on plan also. take tons of pics and when ya get back, post a few so we can 'go on vacation' with ya to an exotic land be careful and drink that water!

regular old day for me. kiddo out the door to school. house is SO quiet I love it so much! off to moms today to hang out a bit and relax. Mom has tuna and pepperoni for me as usual. Tonight will be big old meatloaf (I make mine without the crumbs) and some veggies. lunch probably 2 hot dogs with bit of cheese. Keeping it simple, but gotta watch out for too much processed things, but eh, who wants to cook from scratch all the time? not me

everyone stay strong!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #1364
Major LCF Poster!

Blue, it's great to hear from you! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I am glad you are getting to enjoy your Cartagena experience and feel confident in your eating plan while there.

Trigger, sounds like a good, relaxing day. I think simple foods are what worked for me so well when I was visiting my parents' house. Glad you are feeling the groove.

Down a bit today, new number on the scale is 225.8! I would love to see 225 by this weekend, but I know it will happen soon regardless. That will be 75 lbs. gone, and at least half way to my ultimate goal (not 100% sure what that is yet, but I imagine it will be no lower than 150).
Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #1365
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---I eat hot dogs frequently, and I suppose I should worry abou the processed stuff too, but I don't. Too much to worry about without that. I know that feeling of the kiddo going back to school and the whole day of quiet and so much easier to get things done. Plus, in my experience, the kids were always happy to go back to school, unwilling to admit they were finally bored with summer and needed a bit more stimulation, but glad to be back with their pals.

Misti---New number! Love that, because you always know it's the beginning of more drop. I'm half way to my goal too. Can't believe it. When I started it seemed like it would take forever, but now, 7 months later, the time seems to have flown and it's actually been pretty painless.

OMG gals, the food here really is amazing. Everything is fresh and homemade, from the breads to the salad dressings to the sauces. Fish is fresh every day, and the fruit drinks are unbelievable, even if I'm only having sips of hubby's and son's here.

Last night I had a steak with a tomato cream shrimp sauce on top, and the BEST french fries I think I've ever had. Ate half of them. Of course since I haven't had a french fry in 7 months, that could be why I thought I was floating on a cloud in heaven.

Then we went to the amazing hotel that my nephew's reception will be in for an after dinner drink. It's called the Santa Clara and it is without doubt the most beautiful hotel I've ever seen. It used to be a convent, 200 years ago, and has tons of facinating history. They perfume the air there with scented candles everywhere, so when you walk in off the street the smell is gorgeous. There is an atrium that is filled with sculptures and flora and fauna. The bar there is so cool it's hard to put words to. The reception will be in this medievil looking hall there, and apparently it is a custom that the Cartegena monks pass through the party chanting! That should be something.

Just home from a long day of walking all over the place, last stop was a fascinating Latin antique shop that was like something out of a movie---statues, and angels and demons, lol. I'm a history buff, so I love places like this.

Off to a Peruvian restaurant for dinner with family. Oh my, what a lucky girl I am to be here and having these experiences!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #1366
Senior LCF Member

A drive-by posting this morning:

Blue, I'd much rather read your postings than type about my failures yesterday! Cartogena sounds absolutely gorgeous. Please tell us more about the monks when you have time!

Misti, congrats on the halfway mark. That is HUGE. You totally inspire me.

Trigger, it's great your mom is so supportive. Mine is, sort of: when I go to her house, she cooks according to the diet *she* thinks I should be on. : )

Did great going into the week, then had company Tuesday night and got started on a bread roll...then pizza last night. Going to Santa Fe tomorrow, and to one of our favorite restaurants in the WORLD. So Monday afternoon when we get back, I'm climbing up on this horse AGAIN with a vengeance.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #1367
Major LCF Poster!

Blue, I am so glad you are checking in with us! Cartagena sounds AMAZING and now I really want to go to South America! I minored in Spanish in college and I have always wanted to travel to Spanish speaking locales, but the only ones I have made it to are Puerto Rico and Mexico (just this past March on my cruise, so a two very short days there!) How fun that you got to go to a Peruvian restaurant in Colombia! I don't even know where one would find a Peruvian restaurant in the U.S. outside of a huge major city, perhaps. You have got to figure out a way for us to see some pictures when you get back!

Honeysock, sorry you are having a rough week. I say give yourself a pass, there's a lot going on this week obviously! And jump right back on the horse on Tuesday. If you give it your full commitment then I know you will do great.

Dropped another pound today! Down to 224.8 so officially 75 lbs. lost in 9.5 months! August has been a great month for me. I think making the decision to drop the exercise was a good one. July was terrible for weight loss and that is the only month I exercised all month regularly. My July 4th trip was a blip but a minor amount of off-plan eating shouldn't have caused problems all month long. I am confident I am losing fat and not losing lean body mass as I am eating enough protein based on my calculations. I may try my light strength training twice a week again soon, but I think I will skip the walking until I am much closer to goal. I would love to make 100 lbs. gone by mid-November which is the one year mark, but that is pretty aggressive at this point. I don't have a whole lot of control over how fast I lose, so I will just see what happens!

It's almost the weekend! And a long one at that! It's very hot here so maybe DS and I will hit the pool once before they close for the season. BBQ at the in-laws on Saturday as well. Just a couple days left until then.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #1368
Major LCF Poster!

CONGRATS Misti. you are rocking that scale! 75 lbs is amazing!!! You are inspriational for sure!

honeys, hang in there. every single one of us had to 'restart' a bit along the journey. detours are everywhere. just always keep in your mind that you are following the lc way of life LONG TERM. get right back on and keep a good focus!!

Blue, your description makes your vacation sound absolutely beautiful and what an experience to have!!! It sounds fabulous. You sure sound like a great time is happening for you guys! Lucky you gal!!!! I also want some pics!!

Me, I am doing ok on lc. sticking to my foods but eating a bit too much. Which is what I do when I start being strictly lc. I have to eat alot to keep from eating other things. So scale didn't move for me. HAHA at least it isn't going up

I am kinda on a restart also, so right now eating lc and trying very hard to cut all other junk out of the day. slowly I am gaining back control and I like that

off to relax. tired today. today was HOT HOT and more humid. crazy weather. it was cold the other night. actually cold. tonight feels like 90 and humid and hazy and stuffy. go figure this insane weather
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #1369
Major LCF Poster!

honeysock---Have fun in Santa Fe! Don't know what your favorite restaurant there is, but every one I ate at there was my favorite. So many yummies. When you get back you can hop back on board, literally and figuratively.

Misti ---congrats on that pound down and hitting that half way mark! Seems you're in a very good place of steadily losing. You have a great attitude about the pace of weight loss. You know it will come off as it will, in it's own time, if we let our plan do the work. Still, I'll hope along w/you that it's 100 lbs by November, a little extra hope and a wish can't hurt. But in the end we'll take what we get---er, in this case lose.

Trigger---When I started LC I too ate lots of anything I was allowed. And it kept me from feeling deprived---scratched that itch. But as you know, eventually the appetite ebbs and the need to eat more way lessens. So happy you're starting to feel that "back in control" thing. It's so good when we get back in the driver's seat and kick those carbs to the trunk!

Well gals, I had a mishap here yesterday. We went for a day excursion to a gorgeous island that was about 45 miles by boat from Cartegena. I was having a wonderful time swimming in the gorgeous blue waters and laying under the palms and reading. Hubby and son were with a group snorkeling.

When I saw their boat come back, I was rushing to meet it on this tiled pathway, tripped big time, went down, twisting the hell out of my ankle as I went.

The good news is that since my nephew and his fiancee are both doctors, there are about 40 doctors here for their wedding, many of who were along for this excursion. So here I am on this island in the middle of nowhere with 10 doctors looking at my ankle. I figure I got hundreds of dollars of free medical care and advice.

The bad news is my ankle is swollen up to beat the band. Not broken, probably a fracture and/or sprain. Docs said I could wait to get home before having an x-ray---in which case they'll just give me a walking boot anyway. I've did this once before to the same ankle. They don't set it unless it's a break.

Walking is possible but very uncomfortable and of course, this is a walking vacation. We got a cane, ace bandages to wrap it in, which help. Icing and keeping it elevated. Not going on tour of the monuments today.

So last night ladies, I had myself a big old pity party consisting of carbs and vodka. We went to a restaurant very close to our hotel, and very delish I might add, and I got a buzz on from the vodka that made me forget my foot, and then I had a big old cheeseburger and french fries. With bun.
It was just what the doctor ordered---Dr. Blue that is.

Anyway, I'm reading and catching up on e-mail this am. Tonight is the rehearsal dinner at a fabulous restaurant. We'll taxi there and everywhere if it's over 2 blocks. So I'm determine to stay upbeat and enjoy what I can, and there's much still to enjoy. Just thankful it wasn't a break and that I'd had 4 good days walking all over the place before this.

Long post I know, but I had to fill my LC pals in!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #1370
Major LCF Poster!

Oh no Blue!!! I am so sorry to hear about your injury! I have one ankle like that too, but thankfully it's been years since I've had issues with it (knock on wood). It sounds like you did a very sensible thing to indulge yourself last night! You sound very upbeat as always, I hope this doesn't put a major damper on your vacaction. But it sucks that it happened! Have a great rehearsal dinner and wondeful wedding day. When are you coming back? Try to think of a way to keep your foot elevated on the plane if you can. And do get it checked out when you come back just in case.

Nothing major going on here. Except that we went to BWW tonight and they changed the menu! They now sell the wings "by weight" so instead of 6 or 12 wings you get "at least 5" or "at least 10", but you might get more. They tasted the same, LOL. I had 4 salt & vinegar tonight and 3 mild buffalo, plus blue cheese dressing. I brought home 3 for lunch tomorrow. Tomorrow night is a BBQ with the in-laws. Should be no problem to LC at that, though if they have some potato chips I know I'll be tempted. Maybe will hit the pool for one last hurrah tomorrow or Sunday. Not much else going on this weekend. Have a great one, everyone, and take care of yourself, Blue!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #1371
Major LCF Poster!

WOW Blue that is tough. hurting yourself while away on a big nice exotic trip. Stinks. take care of yourself and keep on trucking! Just keep weight off of it as much as you can and hopefully it won't interfer too much with your vacation.

Misti, I also found a change with our wing joint. We got the by the pound menu also. 'at least X amt'. I guess they make more money that way

I am floundering. Not in a killer 'down the scale' motivation at all right now. eating lc and TRYING to be consistent but I keep grabbing ALOT more food than needed and I ate ONLY lc yesterday and gained. YUP. I ate a big old slab of prime rib last night going out to dinner with a small salad and steamed veg. This morning up 2 lbs. My only 'bad' was 1 sugar free choc. pudding at night. I am eating way too heavy on lc right now.

My appetite needs to get surpressed and it isn't ugh. well, I know it all works, done it before, so I will do all I can to get back into losing mode.

some days just stink ya know
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #1372
Major LCF Poster!

Oh. My. God. How can I describe last night to y'all. The wedding was...well, amazing hardly covers it. First of all it was in the cathedral de Cartegena, which is gorgeous. Bride arrived by horse drawn carriage looking like something out of a fairy tale. Her dress was gorgeous. My nephew looked so handsome and happy. Beautiful service and then bused to the hotel Santa Clara for the reception.

As I mentioned i think, this hotel used to be a convent couple of hundred years ago, and it's phenomenally beautiful today. Reception was in what used to be the chapel and the crypt! Huge medievil hall. It was decorated beyond words with what must have been truckloads of white hydrangeas, white roses and white candles everywhere. The ceiling was very high, tall white stucco walls that they projected lights on so the room changed color throughout the night. So stunning.

When we were all seated for dinner, all of a sudden a huge cloud of smoke appeared at the end of the room as this chanting music was heard. when the smoke began to clear there were 20 monks in brown hooded tunics, heads down, who split into two lines and walked through the tables carrying wrapped bottles, all the while this eerie music playing. Then they surrounded the bridal table, one behind each person at the table, and finally the monk at the head threw his hands in the air and shouted "Love to Alex and Lina!" and at that moment they popped 20 bottles of champagne at the exact same time and poured everyone a glass. You should have seen the looks on everyone in the halls faces!

Dinner was all authentic Columbian foods, a sumptious buffet, and I ate whatever I wanted, no plan last night whatsoever, lol. Then the dancing began. A 12 piece salsa band. On bride and grooms first dance, firework/sparklers came up from the floor, I kid you not. Then when we all joined in on the dance they dropped a sea of confetti from the ceiling on us. A bit later a group of professional dancers wearing feather head pieces about 4 feet high and unbelievable outfits, decended on the dance floor and pulled everyone into a giant congo line around the whole floor. All the ladies were given feathered head dresses, and the gents got straw hats. Bride lead the congo line with a head dress you would not believe.

And there was so much more. Suffice to say none of us have ever seen or experienced anything like it. We left at 3AM and they were still dancing away. I guess it finally ended at 4pm.

My ankle is much better, good enough to dance my butt off last night, although the cocktails certainly helped. Thought I might be in trouble this AM w/it but not so bad.
I've had it iced all morning, and now we're off for lunch on our last day here.

It has been the trip of a lifetime and to share it all with my large and extended family ...well, I just can't put words to it. We leave early tomorrow morning, and then it's back to life as we know it, and back to my woe.

Funny, but I've had no ill effects from the carbs I've eaten---and last night I really let lose on the bread. Wouldn't you know Cartegena would be bread paradise, and we all know about Blue and her bread. But I know I'll be able to get right back on plan, in fact I look forward to it. As fun and fabulous as all this rich food is, I've had my fill and ready for simpler cleaner eating.

So again, I take up a lot of internet space here but just had to share the culmination of my incredible week.

Later gators.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #1373
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Blue, the wedding and reception sounds magical! I am so glad your ankle seems to have healed, and you were able to dance the night away. I hope your trip home is uneventful. Back to reality tomorrow, I guess!

Trigger, hang in there. It's better to overindulge on LC foods right now if you need it. You'll get back into the groove again soon.

I'm doing fine. Weight is hanging out at around 225 which is fine. I've been eating more calories this past week plus still lost 1.8 lbs. Saturday to Saturay according to Wii Fit. I seem to be back on track calorie-wise today. I didn't even track on Saturday. We had the cookout with my in-laws and niece's family that day. It was kind of a bust. You would think a BBQ would be great for LC but my mother-in-law, while a very lovely person, is a terrible cook. We brought bacon & cheddar brats, and thought there would be hamburgers and hot dogs too. There were hot dogs - a total of 4 for the kids, and turkey burgers. Plain, white, turkey meat, grilled. No seasonings of any kind. And way overcooked by FIL. I had one tiny bite and it was gross. MIL asked if she "had to eat all of hers". I said no. She bought them for my niece who is doing low cal/low fat apparently. At least according to a Facebook post, she had plain lettuce with no dressing for lunch the other day. I would rather eat a bacon & cheddar brat and lose weight doing so, thank you very much! MIL also made deviled eggs. I love salt, but they were so salty I could barely gag one down. The rest of the sides were useless. Oh well, at least food isn't that big a deal to me anymore...right?!

Did some closet cleaning this weekend and set up an account at a consignment store, plus gave lots of stuff to Goodwill this weekend too. So feeling good about that and ready to let go of some clothes I do not need anymore.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 09-02-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #1374
Major LCF Poster!

Blue that description of the wedding was a good one. you should be a writer it sounded like something out of a fairy tale. the monks would be cool to see. I know I would be wide-eyed thru that wedding. It sounds like they went to the nines with it. COOL. Must have been beautiful to see. Lucky you. That is a once in a lifetime event to attend. Bet bride and groom are thrilled with their day!!

Misti, your BBQ was rough. yea, BBQ is usally a great lc time for us. turkey burgers ain't happening in my life We did burgers on the grill yesterday. I cooked ours the way I love them and then had some smoked pulled pork. YUM. We all ate on the lighter side. big storms around our area and while we swam for a while before eating, the clouds came in and killed the afternoon. Rest of the day was relaxing, sleeping and watching tv. we were downtime bums HAHA

I dropped some lbs which is good. I am 'getting more in the zone' now. time staying on plan does that. appetite is starting to slowly wane which is wonderful. It ALWAYS SEEMS so daunting and then one minute it all starts to kick in again. So doing well at this point.

got a super busy day. off to get things done, gotta get kiddo into dentist cause her spacer broke last night, hubby selling off some tractors hopefully today and tons of other busy stuff.

everyone hold strong!!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #1375
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---The bbq does not sound enticing but that can be a good thing, right? I do not like turkey anything, unless it's on my plate at Thanksgiving, or maybe leftover on a sandwich. And don't you love getting rid of all those clothes? To me it felt like I was packing up my fat life and shipping it out the door. 225 is great, I remember, seems a blink ago, when you were waiting to drop under 230.

Trigger---So good to hear you're starting to get that dropping appetite! It gets so much easier as that happens, imo. And those lbs will start to melt off, might take a bit to get the machine going, but we both know once it's up and running the weight drops, and that's my idea of fun.

So we're home and my carriage has turned into a pumpkin. Thankfully, I have this day free to unpack and tidy before heading into a large work week, what's left of it, tomorrow.

I wanted to tell you all how much fun it was for me to share my adventures with y'all, and I thank you for listening---those posts got a bit long, but then I do long easily.

Towards the end of the week I just threw the woe to the wind and enjoyed, particularly the breads and the pizza---the Columbians make the best freaking pizza I've ever had, super thin and crispy crust w/mixed cheeses and great toppings.

Got on the scale this AM ---8 pounds up and well out of onederland. I was going to use the sad moticon, but realized I don't feel that way. It was a spectacular trip, including the food and I don't regret a bite. Every off plan thing I ate was delicious whole food, home made, unique and won't be coming my way again soon, if ever.

And the good thing is, today I don't have any carb cravings at all. In fact, the opposite. I'm eager to be back on plan, have a VERY low carb day planned---a hard boiled egg for lunch, and a steak and green beans for dinner. Which sounds good to me! Clean and simple. Last week was a blast of good eating but it feels good to scale back and I look forward to being back in my groove.

Hope the gain is mostly water, but I'm sure there's some pounds in there too.
They're going to be GONE before they get too comfortable on me.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #1376
Major LCF Poster!

We loved reading about the adventure Blue. felt like I was there with you I love travelling. we hit the road as much as we can with the camper. any time away from home in new and exotic scenery is a good thing

8 lbs. that is nothing. Heck I would be in the 'UP 12-14 lb range probably' so you reined yourself in pretty good for such a huge vacation!

and you know it will come off quick. about 4 will drop very fast and the other 4 will be a day or so after. good you are right back on track.

steak and asparagus for me for dinner tonight. YUM. off to get things ready. just not too hungry yet and I decided until I am really hungry I am not just going to eat cause it is dinner time.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #1377
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome home Blue! Trigger is right, 8 lbs. is great and will come off in no time. I had the same experience after my cruise last March. Hopefully you won't get induction flu but if you do be sure to drink some broth.

Trigger, glad you are starting to get the appetite supression and the scale is going down. I haven't been too hungry, but I have been eating way more than usual this past week. I should skipped dinnner myself tonight but we went out to Mexican so I had some fajitas (only a couple of chips and salsa this time). And I just ate a whole bunch of sweet & salty pecans. Definitely not finishing my food tracking for today, I don't want to know!

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon, mostly so I can get a second opinion about my thyroid results from June and switch over to her as my primary in case my thyroid tanks. She's my husband's doctor as well and he likes her.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #1378
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Can't remember what you said your thyroid results were in June. I'm interested because I really don't understand much about thyroid issues and would like to understand better if you care to share.

Trigger---We used to have a pop up camper and took it all over the place. It was so cozy and fun, not to mention having beds off the ground so rain wasn't a camping catastrophe. We sold it to our neighbors last year because with our son grown up we just weren't using it much. Our neighbors say we can borrow it any time. I miss those trips---dinners cooked over the campfire, reading late into the night with my book light, hearing the rain on the roof...

Sounds like you're back in the saddle with the LC, and I agree, best to eat when hungry. But sometimes if I don't eat dinner I end up eating late at night and that's a habit I don't want to get into as my resistance goes down when I'm tired.

So I dropped 2.5 lbs from yesterday. Under 20 carbs yesterday. Today I had a bunless buffalo blue cheese burger from Hardees. New and very good. Tonight it will be brats, and hopefully another day under 20 carbs. Also really making an effort to drink as much water as I can. Although I drank a lot of water in Cartagena, I think it got sweated out pretty immediately which may have contributed to my gain with bloat. Hoping lots of water will help wittle this thing down.

I still have a pretty strong metal mouth, and no signs of induction flu,so I'm thinking I'm still in ketosis, but who knows. Although I definitely went off plan on vacation, I was probably still under 100 grams a day and I've read some people can stay in ketosis at up to 100 grams a day. Hoping that's true of me and ketosis and I are still one.

Later gators.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #1379
Major LCF Poster!

Yea on the drop Blue! That would be awesome if you can stay in ketosis at 100 g carbs. I am certain that is not true for me! Hope work went well for you today.

Scale is holding steady. Not too worried about it. The doctor's appointment was fine. She was running very late (at least 45 minutes), so we got down to business. She is concerned that my Raynaud's syndrome (fingers go numb and white when exposed to cold) may be a sign of an autoimmune problem so she ordered tons of blood tests, and redid the thyroid labs. She wants me to follow up with a couple of other offices as well. We'll see how it goes. I also tried on some clothes after the appointment. The newly built high-end department store did nothing for me, but I found 3 tops and a pair of pants at the consigment store. Score. I also got rid of a few more tops today, mostly 4X. The consigment store took some and the rest got donated.

Food not exciting today. Will have bacon & cheddar brats for supper tomorrow and chicken thighs on Friday. Need to find a new chicken thighs recipe. I usually just broil them with some seasoned salt but that is getting boring.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #1380
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on that drop! It will keep coming off. At least we know it isn't 'real' weight and just a bloat situation that can be remedied quickly.

Misti I hope all that medical gets straightened out. For chicken thighs I do the oven. I love the super duper crispy skin. part of the reason I love the thighs. that crispy skin is so decadent. I use a little bbq sauce sometimes, or my buffalo sauce on the thighs for taste change.

I lost 1.5 on the scale. I ate heavier LC. I made a pizza burger for early lunch...a monster one with tons of cheese, had a few leftover meatballs in a tad of sauce with parm, a good chunk of dark chocolate, 2 beers late night when neighbor stopped over and we chatted on the porch. Sticking with real lc meals is doing it again for me

My mind is almost back into the ballgame. I debated big time on those beers. Should I or shouldn't I? but I did and still lost.

Today is easy quieter day. food choice will be simple. I like those kind of days.
Closed Thread