Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #1321
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hey gals...

Whoooohooooo! I'm finally in onderland! I have been there for 4 days, but at first, I figured Mr. Big Bad Bounce would steal it away, so I didn't get too excited. But it's holding steady at 198 to 199.

I didn't post my stats under my name when I joined here because I decided I'd rather get to goal and then put my weight on the internet. But love to share with you guys now. I started at 126 in February. So that makes 27-28 lbs. gone. And it sure felt good to see that one!

We leave on vacation in a week and a half---to Cartegena Columbia! To attend my newphew's wedding. I'm very excited about it. But I'm determine to eat as super clean as I can till then, because it is international travel and I think staying on plan will be more challenging than our last two vacations. I really want to come back still in Onderland. So it would be great if I could drop a few more before then. But I better not get greedy here, the scale has been pretty nice to me lately.

Left over BWW chicken wings for lunch. Probably a JJ unwhich for dinner. Very lazy today, so going to depend on carry out. I'm at this comfortable spot now where I have a nice list of quick LC options I really like. And unlike my last time on LC, I'm getting much less bored with my foods, the deeper I get into this. Hope that lasts!

Trigger---Good to see all that fun stuff to wear just waiting for you to drop some more pounds. As I've said here before, for me, I buy an "inspiration" piece that will fit me great 5 pounds down. Don't have to spend a lot on them, just a great new top on sale will do. Then I get to the reward faster. I struggle with the need for immediate gratification. But however we do it differently, I find a new piece of clothing fun, particularly when I know I look better in clothes than I did almost 7 months ago. I feel better when I look better, and it really reaffirms my woe more than the scale.

Congrats on the loss of more vacation bloat. Sounds like you're really getting in the groove. I think when you're back to lower carb for a sustained period over the fall, you'll remember and find how much easier this gets the longer you've been doing it. Momentum is a big part of it I think. And for me anyway, the longer I do this the more momentum i get to keep doing it. It feed itself, excuse the pun.

Hope everyone's having a good day. I've finished my work for the day, and I'm off to read a book, which will probably turn into a nap.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #1322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Congrats Blue!!! That is awesome news! And it's great you have avoided the dreaded bounce. Wow, going to Colombia sounds very cool! What an excellent reason to go! Have a wonderful time.

And congrats on your loss, Jaded! Sounds like M & E works very well for you. Sorry you had a rough weekend. Hope you have been able to get back on track.

Congrats on the drop Trigger! Just keep going, school starts here next week...then back to routines, right?

Hope you are having a great time in Vegas, Honeysock!

Today I did ok, overate on calories but kept carbs to 34 g total, 26 g net. Even with eating a cup of popcorn at the pub we went to for lunch. It was 2 pm and I was starving... Scale is holding at 228.X today but I expect an increase tomorrow because of the calories and sodium I had today. Oh well, I am on vacation after all!

Speaking of clothes Trigger and Blue, I did buy two new pairs of pants at the LL Bean outlet here the other day. Both were 1X, yeah! They are casual pants and should fit me all of fall as they just fit now, but will look better in about 10 lbs. They were about $20 each on sale, plus I had a gift card so I got a backpack, and two pairs of pants for $20 total. I also saw today a website called Gwynnie Bee which is basically a clothing rental site for sizes 10-24. It is kind of expensive but I am tempted to try it out for a month (free trial). I am dreading buying clothes in a way that I know will not fit me more than one season. And then the agony of when to get rid of them even when they no longer fit me. I already have a closet full of too big clothes from last winter. I know I should just donate or sell it all now, but I am very cautious. I only recently got rid of my size 4X-5X clothes, most of which I haven't worn in 2-5 years probably. So a clothing rental would save me some of the issues with owning too big clothes. Of course it would probably be cheaper just to buy inexpensive pieces knowing I will not need them that long. We'll see - I have enough clothes to get me through September I think.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #1323
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
BLUE---CONGRATS. you are in onederland and now I am out of onederland. Now I gotta get back there so we can team up and roll down the scale HAHA Great for you. Lbs. gone is as good thing!!!

Columbia. wow. food choices will be different I am sure. maybe eat an Iguana or something (?) LOL just kidding. will be fun I am sure. exciting adventure. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Blue you are so right about me. As soon as school starts I feel my head will be in the game and back to absolute long term LC with a vengenance. So much on my plate the last month I feel out of whack ya know. not good for me. I like total control and a schedule. works for me

MISTI---from 4-5X down to 1X HOLY GIRL You are rocking it big time. GREAT!!! IT IS INSPIRING to see that. so many sizes down and it helps to see others doing great in their progress. helps me along also!!

My things are baggy now but my nicer smaller clothes aren't fitting well. I gotta knock off some more weight, like 20 lbs. to really 'go shopping' in my closet.

I never heard of a rental clothes place before??? huh, that is interesting.

off to get stuff done. I am THINKING about truly getting myself a REAL exercise session each day. Just thinking. I am bad at following one when kiddo hits school the days are mine. maybe 1/2 hr each day of my stationary bike and a walk. Hmmmm....again, just pondering. I hate committing only to not do it HAHA makes me feel bad.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #1324
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---So you deal with gross vs. net carbs? From everything I've read dietary fiber is not digestible. Even the low carb books I've read do not say differently. Perhaps Atkins, or the new Atkins is different? Anywho, you are doing so well. 34 "gross" grams would be very good, imo, in itself on any day, let alone a vacation day, but 26 net grams is excellent.

The clothing rental thing is interesting, but not for me. I need wider choices and love the shopping---which I do a lot of on line, but so love hitting those sale racks in stores too. If you pursue this, I'd love to hear about your experience with it, just because I've never heard of anyone doing it---except for formal wear.

Also, I'm interested to hear your thoughts about how Low carbing on vacation feels to you, because for me, at least so far, it didn't take a thing away from my vacations, and in fact, made me feel better while on them. Although as I said, we'll see what happens in Columbia when I don't have my foods, and the cuisine is who knows?

Trigger---Geez, I know exactly what you mean about "thinking" about exercise, I do that myself all the time. LOL. Too bad thinking about it doesn't count. And I too am wary about committing to it here. I think I'll just have to begin doing a bit of it one of these days, and THEN talk about it.

So today was a good day on the woe. Had a salad for lunch, and left over pork tenderloin in my hubby's most excellent hot peanut sauce for dinner, along with some cheese and pickles. And although I didn't eat that much, I am so full. More food holds no charm for me, not even a snack. I continue to be amazed at what happens to my appetite when I cut the carbs out.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #1325
Major LCF Poster!

Today my parents' scale says 228...hope that it's the same as my scale at home! If it is, I am only 1 lb. away from being 100 lbs. down from my highest weight. I reached 327 briefly twice - once right before my son was born (so I was 9 months pregnant) and again a few years later (I think 2006-2007) when I switched birth control pills and gained about 14 lbs. before losing it. So I was never that high for long, but I was there.

Blue - I look at both total carbs and fiber, so I do see net carbs, but I try to not go over 40 total carbs. The fiber generally takes care of itself. I just looked at the past two weeks (while I have been at my parents' house) and I have gone over 40 total carbs only twice, and once was a very high fiber day (I ate a Quest protein bar which has lots of fiber). I would say most days I seem to be around 35 total carbs and 8-10 g fiber, so 25-27 net carbs. I believe Dr. Bernstein's plans use total carbs because he says fiber can cause distention in the digestive tract which can lead to insulin release. Since keeping insulin low is a priority for me, it makes sense for me to follow his lead. And since it seems to be working for now, I am going to stick with it.

Exercise, on the other hand, I am not so sure about. I thought I was ready to deal with a weight-loss slowdown from exercise but now I am not so sure. I really haven't been exercising here at my parents' house, and I am doing better with the weight loss. After my final health coach visit next Thursday I think I am going to give the exercise a rest for a while and pick it back up when I am much closer to goal. I am confident that by eating LC and getting sufficient protein I can maintain lean body mass without exercise while I am still actively losing weight. So, Trigger, I would say don't feel bad about thinking about it without doing it!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #1326
Major LCF Poster!

Misti --- That 100 lbs down from your highest weight is so cool. The pregnancy weight doesn't count, or at least a chunk of it, but the second time...isn't it something to think there's 100 lbs less of you now than then! So happy to hear you're maintaing, maybe even losing a bit on vacation. I find that we can actually do this to be so empowering.

Thanks for explaining the Dr. Berstein info about fiber. I too have blood sugar issues, so I'm glad to know this. But in any case I'm ending up about the same place as you, between 25 and 30 net carb grams a day. I do eat my share of salad, but other than that the only thing really high in fiber that I've been eating lately is the La Tortilla wraps---4 NCs, but another 16 or so in fiber. I only have them once or twice a week, and it hasn't effected my weight loss, yet, so we'll see. And I figure the more my weight goes down the better almost everything health wise will be. But good to keep an eye on this.

And I feel the same about exercise as you right now. You, me and Trigger! I thought I was ready to add it in, but I'm not. Part of the problem I think is that this summer has been so crazy busy,w/so much going on. I always did better at exercise in the winter because I like the videos, and there just seems to be more time in the winter. And, like you, my plan now is to weight till I get to goal. Then if I know I'm eating clean LC, and I gain 5 lbs, but look better and tighter, I think I'll be good with it.

Today was a very long day at work. I was on a video shoot starting early in the morning and just home. The thing about these shoots is that there is a food table out ALL DAY LONG. Plus lunch. I didn't eat anything off plan, but I nibbled all day---mostly out of boredom because you spend a lot of time on these things just sitting around waiting for the lighting guys and the camera guys to do their thing. So I had salami and turkey and cheese and tomatoes and green beans dipped in various dips---lunch was a salad. Not being a snacker, I don't feel very comfortable with this, and feel like I ate a ton. Even though I really didn't. Just so much more than I usually do during the day.

Tonight hubby is grilling up some T bones and I'm going to have half of one, and that's all. Not hungry at all right now, but will probably want something before I go to bed if I don't have dinner.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #1327
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all.

Well, I had a pretty hard as well as enlightening day on the job. Why do these things always have to come together---hard and enlightening? Wouldn't dream of boing y'all with the particulars.

Suffice to say that for the very first time in a long time, I came home wanting to eat whatever I wanted, "damned the torpedoes!" Felt my really bad, no good, horrible day entitled me to splurge. And you know, maybe it did. And if I had decided to go that way, I realize that it would not, on one really bad night, cancel out all my efforts. And next time, I may just splurge like crazy. We never know, right?

But ultimately, I didn't make that decision. I am going to have a "margarita pizza" on a La Tortilla Factory low carb, fried and crisped tortilla, with plenty of cheese. I had hoped to not have any more controversial carbs tonight, as at work I had a lunch of breaded and pan fried walleye. I carved away some of the "breaded" but not all. And I so wanted to keep really clean in my carb choices before my vacation. But y'all know how life is---it often gets in the way of your best laid plans.

So I'm going with any Lower carb treat I want tonight, and as much of it as I want. Tomorrow will be better, it almost always is.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #1328
Major LCF Poster!

Looks like it's just me here this weekend. Hope you gals are all doing well.

So yesterday pretty much sucked and I avoided a splurge by the hair of my chinny chin chin. And, I'm glad I did, because that would have just made yesterday suck more. I would rather have my treats when I choose them for the right reasons, as opposed to the wrong reasons---like trying to eat away my troubles, which never works anyway.

So today was much better. Really needed to get away from work and chill. I had a home design consultation today, which is a side business of mine, but a much different deal than my big clients. Much less pressure, much more enjoyable, and nice extra cash in my pocket. An interesting thing about today's client, a nurse, and very gabby, was her telling me how bad Low Carb is for the kidneys and being shocked I'd been in Ketosis for months. (This came up because she was a rec from a pal, who had told her I was LC girl, and she brought it up.) Of course, nurse or not, she was mixing ketosis up w/ketoacidosis. I just smiled and said, well I'm not dead yet, and moved the conversation on to the business at hand. I have no need to sell anyone on this woe, or defend it.

Had one of my standard and often faves for lunch, a bun-less Chicago hot dog. Then for dinner---oh it was so lovely and great. Walked to a Greek Festival at a Greek Orthodox church in our neighborhood with a bunch of neighbors. It was an absolutely stellar and perfect summer night, and we sat together at a big table and enjoyed fabulous Greek food. I had a Greek salad w/gyros meat and Tzatziki sauce, and flaming Saginaki cheese. YUUUUUUUUUUM! Then back to our house for dessert. I did not partake in my husband's excellent strawberry pie, and was just fine w/that. The company was great, the night was fun, and staying on plan seemed easy. What more can you ask for?

Bad days do pass, and sometimes if you're lucky, you get a good day right after. Such was the case for me today. I feel blessed with that.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #1329
Major LCF Poster!

I'm home!

Blue - sounds like you had a rough couple of days there. But you didn't cave! Sounds like you stuck to plan and ate well as usual. Sorry work has been rough for you. The next two weeks (at least) I'll be in work hell also. In fact I have to work today from about 1-4 pm for a new student orientation. School starts at the university (where I work) next week. So summer is over for me!

Drumroll.....my parents' scale was accurate! I weighed in at 227 today! I was 228 on their scale yesterday. I ate totally clean while travelling yesterday. No vegetables, but everything else was spot on. So since the beginning of August I've lost over 5 lbs. I am giving myself a huge pat on the back!

Unfortunately my son gained about 3 lbs. in the past week!! And he has a doctor's appointment for a weight check on Tuesday! He did great the first week at my parents' house (maintained his weight) then all hell broke loose the second week apparently. My husband was there the second week and we ate out more. We also went out for ice cream once each week. The first week I got a small sugar-free ice cream and DS got a small as well. The second week somehow my father (who is supposed to be on a calorie-restriced diet) got mediums for both of them. That thing was huge and DS ate it all. My father was calculating the calories. He was comapring it to some ice cream they had a home and figured the medium cone was 1.5 servings calorie-wise. Ummm...a serving on the package was 1/2 cup and those mediums were at least 2 cups of ice cream. To me that illustrated the real difference between strict calorie-counting and low carb. For him, the cravings are still there and there are no "consequences" of eating carbs other than perhaps weight loss stall or weight gain. Being on low carb plan, I really don't get any cravings per se, and I know there will be consequences of eating off plan. I don't want to be kicked out of ketosis. It's just not worth it for any food at this point!

Have to go grocery shopping this morning and then work this afternoon. Hope you all have a lovely rest of the weekend!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #1330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: honeysock
Stats: 211.5/211/150
WOE: low-carb/SB
Start Date: first time on lowcarb: 1972! (I was 13 : ) )
"Bad days do pass, and sometimes if you're lucky, you get a good day right after. Such was the case for me today. I feel blessed with that."

Just got on the scale, coming off of vacation--gained 4 lbs., so I needed this, Blue!

Fall semester starts officially for me tomorrow, and I'm on the same page as Trigger: I think I'll be able to focus once the school routine kicks in. I'm going to get lunch containers at the store today and pre-pack my breakfast and lunch for the whole week, so I won't be throwing just anything into my purse for lunch in the early morning rush.

Misti--I'm SO impressed with your weight loss, especially at your parents' house.

Jaded, good luck on meat and eggs. If I didn't have an egg intolerance, I'd be all over that today. I used to rely heavily on eggs when I did LC, before I became intolerant. I loooove eggs, cooked any which way. I suppose I could do an all-meat experiment?

Will be heading back to WW to weigh this week, probably Tuesday. I was going on Mondays which is the best day for me, but the leader on Monday nights works at the same school I do, and I'm not very comfortable with her. (When I intrduced myself at my first meeting, she jumped all over me for not having a lot of vegetarian/veggie options at the restaurant we used to own, after she found out I was the chef/owner there. It was a tiny restaurant that focused on wine, not vegetarian offerings!)

So, back to the grind tomorrow! Good luck everyone, heading into Monday.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #1331
Major LCF Poster!

Hnag in there everyone!

good days and bad are always in our faces. bad days are always looming for me lately

honeysock, I agree. for me I need a good routine without too much sway. thank goodness my vacations are over, school starts aug. 26 and I can focus just like you are going to focus!!

BOO! Up 6 lbs. honest to goodness this little vacation killed me. my mind said ---last vacation, who cares. I ate it all.

and get this---I got the worst in my life ever acid reflux up into my throat last night. I never experienced this before. It was just nasty.

It was horrible! I never had acid come way up my throat like that and it freaked me out. My throat was on fire, felt like it was closing, kinda chokey feeling and WOW I VOWED that minute the junky eating was over. I ate 3 tums, and a BIG swig of aloe vera juice that calms the tummy. But for hrs. I felt like I could not lay down. like it was going to do it again. I sat up on the couch til 2am watching tv just to avoid laying down. ALL CAUSE that junky food I was eating.

and most of all, I am missing my simple, easy, lc meals terribly now. I am going to open up my food journal from the very beginning and eat the meals I used to when I started aikens.

control for me now big time. I will get it back. the 6 lbs should go fast but honestly I feel like if I get too much farther from onederland I might not get back so I gotta jump on this now.

stay strong everyone!!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #1332
Major LCF Poster!

Misti----Wow, congratulations! You did the whole vacation thing and came back weighing less than when you left! How cool is that?! And I bet your son will drop that weight pretty quick when he gets back into non-vacation routines. Thanks for the comforting words regarding my very bad no good horrible day. But that's in the past now, and good things are ahead.

Honeysock---Welcome back. I'm betting most of your weight is carb bloat, water retention. When you get back on plan a lot of it will melt off within a week or two. And yeah I wouldn't be too comfy w/that gal who was giving you lectures either. Blech, hate that. It was your restaurant, your choices. Someone didn't like it, they could have gone somewhere they liked the menu. And how cool that you owned a restaurant and were a chef! Would love to hear more about that sometime.

Trigger---So the good thing is that was the last of the vacations for awhile? I know what you mean about the acid reflux. Never had it before, but in the months before I went LC I was starting to get it and heartburn often. It's really nasty. The good news is it went away totally for me after a few weeks on LC and I haven't been bothered w/it since. Just one more thing to throw in the reason box for a LC woe. And I agree, the time seems crucial to get back on plan best you can. Doesn't have to be perfect. But you don't want to gain all that weight back! And there is a point where you just slip, slide right off the wagon and gain it all back. I know, because I've done it. And forever how happy I thought all that carby food made me, the happiness was pretty short lived, while the weight and health issues were constant. And now I'm having to lose that same 50 pounds all over again. Lord, I hope it's the last time I have to do this, but we never know.

Can't believe fall is right around the corner, and for some of you feels like it starts now as you "go back to school." I still have a major vacation coming up, so won't be till September till I think I'll really feel the shift in seasons. I love the change, 4 season girl here all the way. Love things about them all. Fall and winter are quieter and I love getting cozy w/more books, more good movies, and more down time. Plus I'm looking forward to doing a bit more LC cooking, as I haven't felt like it this summer at all. Too busy, too much running around to want to come home and cook.

BPC for breakfast. Snack of a bit of liver pate, parmesan cheese and cornichons. Dinner will be BWW, salt and vinegar and Lemmon Pepper wings. Can't seem to get enough of them. So good eating day, and very good relaxing day. Loving it.

Hope you're all having a good one!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #1333
Major LCF Poster!

Blue you and I have so much in common. I also lost 70 lbs earlier on low fat/low cal.

of course I couldn't maintain and over a few years gained back 50 lbs. BEFORE I gained it all back I decided to start atkins. So I am losing this 50 over again also LOL

I agree with you. I must buckle down. this is no joke. I can backtrack now if I am not careful. I can't not gain it all back. I gotta jump on this and get the bloat weight gone right now!!! I know. I best wake up and get 'er done.

I am hitting the grocery in the morning and getting what I need. And treating myself to alot of small filet mignons. eat the hound out of them to get LC and off the junk foods.
worth the bucks to be sure I can assure myself of getting back on plan.

I like 'small changes' in seasons I was a northern gal and avid skier before moving south. so just a tad of cold is fine now for me. no more 8 ft snow days for this lady LOL
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1334
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back honeysock! I am sure the 4 lbs. will be gone in no time. Do you work at a college too? I work at the U of Iowa and we have orientation stuff this week and next week school starts. Regarding a "meat only" diet there are people who do that. Usually it's called "zero carb" - basically animal products only, though many of them don't do eggs or dairy. I have contemplated it myself but for now regular low carb is working fine so I am not going to mess with it for now.

Trigger - sorry to hear about the acid reflux! I hope jumping back on LC solves it for you. And I hope all the vacation bloat comes off quickly. When does school start for your daughter? My 10 year old son starts school on Wednesday this week. So summer is over, back to routines! I think that will be good for all of us.

Blue - are you leaving for your trip this weekend? Are you all packed? I hope you make it through this week and have a great time when you are there!

I'm back at work today. Going ok so far though I'm not through my emails even yet. Lots to do, so I'm off for now. Hope everyone has a great week!

Last edited by Mistizoom; 08-19-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #1335
Major LCF Poster!

Misti, he is going back before her. She goes Monday, 26th. Thurs is orientation. I guess with you being midwest you get alot of time off school for snow days etc?? We have a few ice storms and if THEY even THINK a snowflake might fall, school is immediately cancelled. LOL funny down here in the south. I think NC owns 2, maybe 3 snow plows HAHA

I am good. back on meat and eggs. doing simple recipes from my start of LC. back to basics. Will work for me.

I got the motivation. Now I need a bit of time to get that stupid scale moving down.

I am off to get a ton done. everyone be good and work our plans well!!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #1336
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Yes, we leave this Sunday. So much to do! International travel is a hassle. The flight is long and I hate flying, but it will all be worth it when we get there! Been doing a bit of research on Cartegena and it is a gorgeous and exotic city on the ocean. We will be staying in the historic old town, which looks totally charming. I hope my lap top works down there so I can check in and share a bit of this experience.

Trigger --- So funny about how everything is cancelled in NC for one flake of snow. Up here in Minnesota we don't even blink an eye till at least 10 inches falls. Fun to know you were once a ski bunny too. Sounds like you're doing well, settling back into LC. And from my POV, you don't need to be so strict w/yourself you can't maintain it. Maybe a goal of 30-40 carbs a day to start with? I started this woe w/a goal of 50 carbs or less a day and backed myself down through my own choices, as my appetite dulled, and as I found more LC foods and recipes I enjoyed. That really helped me in those first few weeks when I was missing the carbs. I think it's Emel here who says, and I agree w/her,
eat whatever you want in those first couple of weeks, w/out the excessive carbs of course, don't pay attention to calories, just let yourself enjoy till you're full.

Had leftover BWWings for lunch. Going to a friend's for dinner who is an excellent cook, and she knows I'm LC and always makes a meal I can eat. She's such a great gal! So I know I'm in for a great dinner w/out guilt.

Weight isn't going down right now, but it's not going up either. Feels like I'll probably stay here till vacation. Hope I come back still in Onderland! But like I've said, I think this trip is going to be more challenging than the others, but I have read there's lots of fish and seafood there, so that will help. Also lots of rice and fried plantains, not so good, but don't even know if I like those.

Later gators.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #1337
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick check-in. I feel so much better just after one day of 100% lc although I probably ate too much (salad bar lunch--bacon bits, cheese, etc.).

Trigger, the acid reflux thing has only ever happened to me once: and (this is prob. TMI!) I realized later that constipation must have played a major factor! I felt like it was a plumbing problem. As if the food had nowhere to go .

Blue, homemade pate is one of my favorit-est things ever! But I tend to overeat it, even on celery. So I've found it freezes pretty well. Plus....it's so cheap! Heading over after this post to Google Cartagena. Sounds like a fab. vacation !

Misti, I'm a professor at a local college, and we start classes next Monday, like you. I'm sad about summer's end but glad to be back in a routine.

I would be interested to know what everyone's favorite go-to lunches are? I want to get off my Vienna sausages kick. I know, they're disgusting. I don't know why I like them, really! So I'm not buying any more of them. There--it has been declared!

Have a great Tuesday!

Last edited by honeysock; 08-19-2013 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: added stuff
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #1338
Major LCF Poster!

Blue you are so right in your advice. yesterday I ate total very low carb and slightly controlled BUT ate alot to be sure I was not hungry. didn't worry about calories and dropped 4 lbs of bloat from vacation.

I hope I can drop another 4 and then I will be right at onederland's door again

BUT this time I feel relaxed. No trips. No commitments. No pressure etc. whew. All my ducks are in a row and on my time schedule. this means alot to me right now.

Your trip to SA will be challenging. You are wandering way off the path of food choices but you will do well. You know that South America bread is still bread HAHA you know carbs are carbs so you should sail thru like a trooper. but have fun of course. it can't all be about losing or gaining a lb. while fun things are happening in life.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #1339
Major LCF Poster!

HoneyS, plumbing problems. I know those. whenever I eat into the junk area I can get nasty results. eating lc trouble has cleared up gut troubles and that reflux I never had before cause I junked out on so much food --- the old body said, ARE YA KIDDING! I will send this junk back up the pipe and show you HAHA

I am at home so I can play with lunches. I can go super simple, like bit of meat on salads or I can actually a big dish. One of my all time fav go to foods is sauteed chicken and broccoli and add a touch of alfredo sauce and parm cheese. I love this taste and can eat it every single day for lunch. I also lose weight when I eat this meal. (in fact I should be living on it , I would be at goal now probably lol
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #1340
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---"You know that South America bread is still bread." Darn if you don't know my weak spots. As always, the bread products will be the hardest for me. One good thing is I know we'll be active, lots of walking. That will help.

Sounds like you're in a good spot w/the woe today. And we always have to take this one day at a time. I enjoyed the post about rockets and false starts this morning in the lobby, and liked the comment you left there. Also liked the idea of rewards. For me it's been buying my "inspiration" clothes. Great new dress or dinner rolls? Been cleaning out my clothing, and boy, there sure were some ugly suckers that hit the bye bye pile --- stuff I bought to fit, not because I really liked it. Don't want to go back there!

honeysock---yes, unbelievable how cheap home made pate is compared to "gourmet" stuff in the grocery store. I eat as much as I want, but it's so rich that I find that's not too much for me. But since I believe you're doing WW, calories are a bigger issue?

Lunch? Actually, thanks to you reminding me about LC tortillas I've been enjoying my own little "margarita pizzas" w/mozzarella cheese, garden tomatoes and basil. Yum, making one now. I also like to steam up an artichoke and eat it w/butter and mayo, and I love taking a nice spicy hot dog and having it w/onions, cornichons, tomatoes, mustard and celery and poppy seeds---bun-less Chicago hot dog. I make or buy chicken salad and have a scoop on a good veggie salad w/a vinaigrette. Sometimes order a Jimmy John's Unwhich. Lots of choices here, cheap, and quick if you have one in your neighborhood.

Mentioned lunch above, don't know about dinner yet. Hubby won't be here so I'm on my own, which usually means something carry out these days.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #1341
Major LCF Poster!

Second post today, but worth it.

Went shopping this afternoon for some things for my trip. It will be very hot and humid there, and I don't do well with that. So I realized I needed some breathable fabrics, sleeveless things---which I usually avoid---and in general, clothing that I will feel good in, and helps w/the heat and humidity

I scored! And summer is way on sale! I got everything I needed for such a puny price. But the best thing was that I fit into size 16 capris at Target---where IMO, sizes usually run small. Took the size 16s in the fitting room, thinking I didn't have a chance, but they zipped right up and looked good. $10 bucks a piece, $20 for both. And I'll wear them all week on vacation.

Since I think I'm in a no loss zone for awhile here, having seen it before, can't tell you how encouraging this was. So much more yummy than the carbs I think I miss sometimes, and guaranteed to be more of a long time pleasure. Another NSV. Love those.

Having a Jimmy John's unwich for dinner as I type. I will end up at about 20 grams of carbs today, and I'm happy, satisfied, and thrilled about my experiences in those GHASTLY dressing rooms. Getting better all the time.

Hope y'all are having as positive of a day as I am.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #1342
Major LCF Poster!

Honeysock - very cool you are an English professor! I am a college staff member and work with students having academic difficulties or other challenges (illness, etc.) I also work with our faculty on a number of projects. The new school year is always an exciting and busy time! For lunches, I will admit I usually eat Atkins frozen meals during the week. They are easy for me to grab and go and fit into my eating plan. Otherwise, at home I tend to eat things like salami, cottage cheese with a few nuts or berries, hot dogs. Nothing particularly great!

Trigger - congrats on the 4 lb. drop! Hope the rest comes off in no time!

Blue - sounds like you are doing great! Way to score with the shopping and sizing! I got some great fall items on clearance myself recently. My top score was a $99 knit jacket from Talbots for $20. Yea for us!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #1343
Senior LCF Member

Misti--never heard of Atkins frozen meals! I will look for them. They are probably a lot healthier than Vienna sausages. : / Your lunches sound similar to mine otherwise. My issue with hot dogs is I can't seem to find any that are even close to being 0 carbs. What brand do you rely on?

Blue, I went shopping yesterday for school clothes and had some success at Dillard's end-of-summer sale, but I did NOT have the pleasantly-surprising dressing room experience you did. Way to GOOOOO! Walking around in those capris on your trip will probably act as a subtle reminder of all the hard work you've put in, no? I hope you have a great time. Just for the record, I did join WW a month ago but felt AWFUL after the first week and only dropped 1 lb. So I decided to keep my membership for the weigh-ins but do low carb (with calories in mind) instead. I feel so much better. After getting my vacation behind me, I should now be able to work on finding my "zone"--that combination of foods and portion sizes that keeps me losing but not feeling hungry.

Trigger, I took your stir-fry chicken and broccoli idea and made an asian-type dish last night with peanuts, soy, ginger, etc. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped and your alfredo version sounds better. It's next on my quick-chicken dinner night. AND you consistently lose weight eating it! I want to be where you are.

Overall, I've done well today--no carbs yet except for some plain yogurt with a handful of blueberries. Dinner tonight is grilled wings and cowboy beans (black soy beans), frozen from leftovers a few weeks ago. We do have some Jimmy John's places here--an unwich sounds really good! I've never eaten a Jimmy John's, with or without bread.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #1344
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Scoring a jacket from Talbott's for $20 is terrific! I also have really enjoyed hearing in more detail what you do at the college you work at. Very cool, imo. And it was good to hear you say that you are energized and excited about another fall. It's odd. Fall is the dying of summer, and the preamble to winter---which is in our midwestern world, well, you know. And yet I too find it an exciting time of year. No matter how old I get, I always find that "back to school" energy about the fall, even though it's been more years than I want to count since I actually went back to school.

honeysock---Yes, walking around in those capris WILL help me, no doubt about it. And yes, they WILL serve as a reminder of how much commitment to this woe I've made, and how far I've come.

You know, I look at your stats and I'm only a block or two ahead of you in the game, and I started 15 pounds higher 7 months ago. Hope that offers some perspective. And, although it's plain you've been here before, on LC, I can't say enough how DIFFERENT, my second time on LC has been from my first. For so many reasons. I really hope you hang in there with us and explore this journey. I find your company delightful, a perfect match for the other delightful gals in our little group here. And do give a Jimmy John's unwich a try, in whatever many carnations their menu offers that appeals to you. Not saying you're not going to miss the bun. Hello. Most of us miss the bun, or we wouldn't be here. But these days I can honestly say I REALLY enjoy a JJ's Unwhich. And it's cheap and fast.

Today I had a taco salad for lunch, at a work engagement. No shell, no chips. I was very hungry today however, real hunger, and so I ate up as much sour cream on it all as I wanted, and lots of hot sauce. Tonight hubby is grilling pork chops, mine w/Guy's zero carb Blazin' Sauce, that I REALLY LIKE. I'll have a few slices of a garden tomato, mozzarella and leaves of our garden basil, very lightly dressed w/balsamic and Olive oil.

Actually, after a lunch of basically, hamburger, cheese, salsa and sour cream, I'm still not that hungry, even though it's hours later. So perhaps I'll leave food on my plate again tonight, always love it when I can do that!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #1345
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all. Been "hungrier" than usual in the last two days. Seems to be a combination of mind hunger and real hunger. Nothing serious, just aware of it and kind of missing those few weeks recently when I had NO appetite, even if that wasn't comfortable either, and certainly isn't a healthy way to live.

So I had my Chicago hot dogs for lunch, which usually does it for me. But this afternoon I needed a snack, so I had some havarti cheese---so smooth and yummy, and slices of roast beef. Which I hope will bring me to dinner with a very moderate appetite. Not generally a snacker, so when I do it seems out of the norm. But again, sometimes good to pay attention to that, so that whatever kind of hunger it is, it doesn't culminate all in one too big meal.

Don't know about dinner yet. Might just have some more snacky things.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #1346
Major LCF Poster!

Honeysock - I buy the Atkins frozen meals at Walmart. My regular grocery store carries them too, but they are more expensive there. For hotdogs lately we have been buying Oscar Mayer Classic Weiners (made with turkey, pork and chicken, I think). They have 1 g carb each. Not the best quality, but it's what my son likes. Kosher beef hot dogs usually are low carb too, I think Hebrew National and Nathan's both have varieties that are 1 g each. Jimmy John's is very good - you definitely should try and unwich (lettuce wrap). I like the #16 Club Lulu (turkey bacon club). I also like Which Wich, which also has a lettuce wrap ("Lettucewich"). They are more customizable, similar to Subway, but they take much longer to make and the one near me doesn't take online orders. Jimmy John's is very fast.

Blue - Isn't it weird that hunger is something we aren't used to anymore! I was hungrier today too, though it was mostly my fault. I completely forgot to eat breakfast, and I was stuck in a different building on campus waiting to give a presentation, so I had time to go to the dining facility and get a made to order omlet. That was a huge breakfast compared to what I normally eat, so instead of my planned frozen meal for lunch I had an emergency shake (I keep some at work) and two fat bombs. Got hungry pretty early in the afternoon but I managed to ignore it until dinner.

Up on the scale today, but I had around 6000 mg sodium yesterday which is very high for me, and ate both lunch and dinner out, so I am pretty sure it is all water retention. So I'm not freaking out. But yesterday was my lowest weight so far (226.4, I think) so seeing a couple of pounds higher still sucks.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 08-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: corrected sodium count for yesterday!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #1347
Major LCF Poster!

luckily for me the scale is creeping down back toward onederland. a bit slow but monday starts school so I will have days to really concentrate on losing and meal prep.
ahhh, can't wait

Honey ---your asian concoction sounds good, too bad it wasn't as great as you wanted. experimenting like that is key. to make meals that fill you up big time and you love. my little alfredo concoction is just fab for me. Love it, fills me up to the max for a long time and it always gives me a loss after because I eat way less food for the day being so stuffed. keep experimenting with de-constructed meals. Pick something you loved to eat, work it into an LC meal and you can come up with some great mainstays for yourself.

Blue--yea the 'super hungry' days vs. the non hungry. I prefer the non hungry days
I try not to do 'snacky' stuff for dinner. I feel 'cheated', like I didn't eat a good filling dinner and I seem to end up over snacking right up til bedtime. bad for me. One thing I like is a big old heavy dinner if I ate lighter thru the day to make me 'feel like' I ate super good. Man it is a mental game for me.

Misti, sodium stinks doesn't it? can change that scale quickly, in the wrong direction.
I love salt on my food so I went ahead and bought Mortons Lite Salt. I shake and shake and get less sodium. works for me actually. eating out usually means alot of sodium. food is just loaded with it.

Our weather has been cooler than normal and I am in the South. It is insanity my mind is drifting towards SOUPS now. In august???? what the LOL I miss my cream soups. I have to find some good receipes to replace my cream soups. while good old beef broth soups are yummy, I am starting to miss the creamy broccoli and mushroom soups. I have to find subs for them.

hang in there all. we can get this done!!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #1348
Senior LCF Member

Trigger, I love soup too, and often think I could live off of soup, bread, and wine. Ah well, two outta three ain't bad. : )

Thanks for the tip on the Atkins meals, Misti! I'll probably wait until Monday to look for them here. All the WMs will be crazy here this weekend with all the college kids back in town. Can't wait to go to JJ's for an unwich! That might be my weekend treat. DH would like that, I think.

Blue, thanks for the encouragement. If I can be 15 lbs. lighter 7 months from now... I would be THRILLED. I have started a "diet" every Monday for years. I need support exactly like what y'all provide each other here. I am just now compiling my list of "safe" foods. Right now, it consists of unsweetened plain almond milk and meat. I discovered just today that if I drink 2 cups of almond milk (2 net gms of carbs and 60 calories) with lunch I am completely filled up, no matter what I eat. So I'm looking for a quick protein with some crunch as a companion to that. I also read on these boards that cinnamon is conducive to weight loss on low carb, so I'm working on a cinnamon cream cheese breakfast muffin recipe (with not very many eggs), with a whole teaspoon (!!!) of cinnamon in each muffin. I'll let you know if I succeed.

Yes, Trigger, we can get this done! I am committed to this. Hunt me down and pound me with water balloons if I go MIA!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #1349
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---yeah, that hunger thing. It is amazing how much it's decreased, but I too find I can't always count on it. Most days, I just don't feel it, and that includes mind hunger. But then it jumps up, and like you, often because I've not planned to eat enough before several hours when I can't. And sometimes, I just want something in my mouth. Now today for instance, I'm so NOT hungry. It's pre trip jitters setting in. I hate to fly. And I always get nervous before international travel.

Not to worry about that "up on the scale today," but then you know that. The great thing is when you've been doing this long enough that we can answer your own questions. Which you did.

Trigger---So happy for you that that vacation carb bloat is melting away. I knew it would with you. You've been doing it all summer. So as I've said in the past, you did an excellent job of maintaing for the summer. Just think what might have happened if you never made the attempt to motor down that weight between vacations? And I can REALLY feel you zeroing in to lose again! It's going to be an awesome fall for you.

But I have a question for you? Why do you feel you need to give up cream soups? Are you limiting dairy? Just curious, because while ordering cream soups out may be dangerous, you can make a mighty fine one yourself, and pretty easy. Linda Sue has a VERY good mushroom soup recipe for instance. I LOVE mushroom soup, and this LC recipe was good from the get go, and my tweaks have made it even better.

honeysock---I need to clarify something. The news is better than you think! When I said
I was 15 pounds ahead of you, I meant that as my STARTING weight. Actually, in 7 pretty painless months, once I got in the groove, I've lost 29 pounds! Once you find your footing on this woe, it just keeps giving, and the weight DOES come off, for so many reasons I won't get into right here and now, and at the rate it will. My comment was meant to say, give it time and commitment. You'll be amazed!

Well gals, I finished out my final work obligations before my trip to Cartagena today. Can't tell you how good it feels to disengage from all that. Oh, blessed days away from it, and for me that started hours ago.

International travel is such a hassle, so many details. But I've got those behind me now, with only packing left, and all day tomorrow to do it. We leave at 6:30 AM Sunday morning, must be at the airport at 4:30 AM, up be 3AM, so suffice to say, I'll sleep on the plane. If I'm lucky.

Tomorrow will be my last post here for a bit, and I have a lot of thoughts about my woe and this upcoming adventure. Look forward to sharing them with my best LC pals tomorrow.

Meantime, had a small salad today so far. And that's all. As I said above, hunger took another dive---pre trip jitters. Will have brats tonight, maybe one on a LC bun. Don't know yet.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #1350
Major LCF Poster!

In words to Misti, I meant to say:

"The great thing is when we've been doing this long enough that we can answer OUR own questions. Which you did."
Closed Thread