Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #1021
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Hey all, just had to share this with you....

I am a fan of almond milk, unflavored and unsweetened. So last week I saw a new version made with almond and coconut, only 1g of carbs per serving.
Well, if you buy it, you better like coconut LOL Wow. I don't see me using the almond/coconut combo for much other than desserts even without it being sweetened at all.
I put some in my Bullet with strawberries and Sweetzfree....great strawberry milkyshake but definitely very coconutty....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #1022
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
HI,
Hope everyone is doing well.I am doing okay. Keeping on plan and going to try and start walking a bit today.That is the plan,anyway.Hope my back will let me.Have a good day !!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #1023
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I've been walking too Jaded! I went for maybe 35 minute last night. I think it is a better workout walking outside than on my treadmill for some reason.

Stynger - I think I bought the coconut/almond milk once but never drank it before it went bad! I ususally use unsweetened almond milk also. The coconut/amond milk sounds good for smoothies.

Scale says 242 today. Woo hoo! I have my doctor's appt. this afternoon so we'll see what their scale says.

Today:
B- Atkins Advantage Shake
L - Atkins Farmhouse Sausage Scramble meal, 2 chocolate peanut butter fat bomb
D - probaly go out to Mexican, so fajitas with cheese sauce, no tortillas, rice or beans. I will try to avoid the chips and salsa but I will probably have at least a couple!

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-04-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #1024
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
HI,
Hope everyone is doing well.I am doing okay. Keeping on plan and going to try and start walking a bit today.That is the plan,anyway.Hope my back will let me.Have a good day !!!
Jaded, good work! I need to restart my walking. The treadmill is calling me but with this weather, I think I'd like outside better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I've been walking too Jaded! I went for maybe 35 minute last night. I think it is a better workout walking outside than on my treadmill for some reason.

Stynger - I think I bought the coconut/almond milk once but never drank it before it went bad! I ususally use unsweetened almond milk also. The coconut/amond milk sounds good for smoothies.

Scale says 242 today. Woo hoo! I have my doctor's appt. this afternoon so we'll see what their scale says.

Today:
B- Atkins Advantage Shake
L - Atkins Farmhouse Sausage Scramble meal, 2 chocolate peanut butter fat bomb
D - probaly go out to Mexican, so fajitas with cheese sauce, no tortillas, rice or beans. I will try to avoid the chips and salsa but I will probably have at least a couple!
Misti, you have to let us know how the doc visit went!
You're way right about the walking workout. Outside is much more of a workout than the treadmill. My DD is a marathon runner and has to make sure she doesn't use the treadmill too much for her running prep. If she does, the road work about kills her.
So far today:

Black coffee
Tuna salad sandwich on toasted SL bread
Mashed cauli with my faux gravy
Unsweetened iced tea

I'm hoping my doc visit early tomorrow AM is a good one too
Old 06-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #1025
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Ok here's what I will NOT be doing again. Was out running some errands and there was Chipoltes right around lunch time, so I picked up a steak salad bowl---no beans, no rice, no corn salsa. Did have their fresh tomato salsa and their Tomatino hot sauce, sour cream, cheese and their vinegarette.

Came home and checked out the stats on what I ate. Holy cats. There's a whopping 30 grams of carbs in what I ate, 12 of which come from their small serving of vinegarette! I'm used to my home-made dressing which have virtually no carbs in them, maybe one or two in my French, tops. If I'd used my own dressing and skipped one of the salsas I'd have come in at more like around 15 grams. So there goes most of my carbs for the day, and it wasn't even that good. WAY too salty. Oh well, live and learn.

Misti---you're beating me on the walking. Going to try to get a quick one in today. Congrats on the drop!

Misti and Stynger ---I left you the salad/dressing recipes you guys asked for.
Hope you didn't miss it.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #1026
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Welcome to Lawmom, Suzee and Rotay60!

Lawmom---as you get deeper into this woe, like probably w/in a week, your appetite will decrease. When I started 4 months ago, I ate a lot of Low Carb stuff to keep from eating carbs. Then all of a sudden, I wasn't much interested in food, and had to remind myself to eat. Then after about a month of that, what Misti calls "mind hunger" (love that term, Misti) Usually it's boredom or stress. I eat my fave low carb treats on days like that, as much as I want---although it's never that much because you're so much more quickly sated on LC. Then next day it's gone, and I'm happy back on plan again. But I can tell you, I'm very content and satisfied 95% of the time on this woe, and I can handle that little 5%.

Misti and Strynger --- here's the recipe for my salad you asked for. I'm going to give amts for one or two people, regarding the salad. The dressing will make enough to have plenty left over for future salads.

Salad makings:

Romaine lettuce ---I like to buy the hearts, very crispy and crunchy
2 or 3 pieces of oven baked bacon
Tomatoes to taste---I've used all kinds, grape, plum, regular, heirloom etc.
A stalk or two of celery
Couple of slices of Vidalia (or any sweeter onion, you can also use scallions)
2 or 3 hardboiled eggs ---I slice 'em thin w/one of those handy egg slicers

***I make this like a semi-chopped salad, in other words, I chop everything to bite size, so one can easily stab many delishy morsels on the fork for every bite.

Dressing:

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Splenda (or the equivalent of any sweetner you like)
1/4 cup reduced sugar ketchup (I use Heinz.)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil,
a glove of garlic minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I prefer the fresh clove)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper - I like the chunky pepper you grind.

Throw it all in the bowl, whisk it up, and voila! NOTE: If you don't have reduced sugar Heinz, I've used the real thing, and I've also used chili sauce.
If you dress conservatively at first and toss well, only adding more after the taste test if not enough, you don't have to use a lot and then the carbs in reg ketchup or chili sauce are not such a big deal. I actually like the taste of reduced sugar ketchup BETTER than the reg, so I make it a point to have it on hand. Hope you enjoy.

We had a lovely dinner last night. Totally delish. And while I though I was going to eat like a house on fire, as usual, I was sated on the low carb fare before I could get that crazy. So my calories ended up fine, carbs for the day were excellent.

***Stynger --- I didn't count calories for my first couple of months on this woe, because I hate the whole calorie counting thing too. I added them in pretty much to have the data, in case of any gnarly stalls. I give myself 1500 to 1800 calories a day, (was probably eating 2100 to 2300 on many a day before I started this woe) and I find this range very reasonable and not restrictive at all. But it does make me conscious of what I'm eating, and I like that. Sometimes I look at things I ate when I log in and think, note to self, not worth the calories. But my carb count is very much my priority.

Today was a Greek Salad for lunch, and just got home w/a hardees lettuce wrapped Frisco burger---burger, tomato, some kind of good white cheese, bacon and mayo. YUM. I might toast up some of my sprouted wheat bread to have it on. It will cost me 8 carbs, but I'm in good shape today, and I can afford them. Maybe a cream soda or a scoop of So Delicious ice cream for a snack later.
Thank you SO much for the recipes for the salad and the dressing! I even mentioned your salad to my daughter and she wants to make it too! She doesn't do low carb, she's a marathon runner and doesn't need to watch her weight, but she said it sounds delicious! TY again, I can't wait to make this!

Quote:
Ok here's what I will NOT be doing again. Was out running some errands and there was Chipoltes right around lunch time, so I picked up a steak salad bowl---no beans, no rice, no corn salsa. Did have their fresh tomato salsa and their Tomatino hot sauce, sour cream, cheese and their vinegarette.

Came home and checked out the stats on what I ate. Holy cats. There's a whopping 30 grams of carbs in what I ate, 12 of which come from their small serving of vinegarette! I'm used to my home-made dressing which have virtually no carbs in them, maybe one or two in my French, tops. If I'd used my own dressing and skipped one of the salsas I'd have come in at more like around 15 grams. So there goes most of my carbs for the day, and it wasn't even that good. WAY too salty. Oh well, live and learn.

Misti---you're beating me on the walking. Going to try to get a quick one in today. Congrats on the drop!

Misti and Stynger ---I left you the salad/dressing recipes you guys asked for.
Hope you didn't miss it.
Your salad ingredients are on my store list for tomorrow!
I get your shock with the counts on the salad dressing from the restaurant. I was worried yesterday with a Greek dressing on a take out salad. I have no clue what the carb count was but I didn't gain this morning, no loss either so who knows? I'm very cautious anymore about getting any food out...kind of OCD I guess but ya never know. And you are so right, live and learn. It's not the end of the world, not even close!
You all should be proud of the walking plan. Even if it's still on the to do list, its in the plan!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #1027
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the recipe Blue Skies. I have everything except white wine vinegar, I think. I have red wine, apple cider, balsamic, rice, and white, I think. Do you think any of those would work?

I haven't gone to Chipolte in a while, but I have always avoided the vinegarette for some reason, now I am glad I do! I usually just use the sour cream as the salad dressing there. I get pretty much the same thing you do, otherwise, except no hot salsa for me.

Dr. appointment went fairly well. I think I was one of "those patients" but at least she ran (most of) the tests I asked for. I posted about the thyroid test results in the thyroid forum, two results were normal and two were abnormal. She says I likely have a form of autoimmue thyroid disease but she doesn't want to treat me! She says I am welcome to get a second opinion, so I think I will go to my husband's doc in the same practice who is listed as a good thyroid doctor on on a thyroid website he's looked into.

Regarding blood pressure - it was highish at first, around 146/89 I think. They rechecked a couple minutes later and it was 139/84, so a little better. The doctor later rechecked manually (not the automated machine) and said she got 119/64! So way better. But the official visit results online show the middle result. I pointed out to her at least twice how the cuff doesn't fit my arm very well, as my arm is "cone shaped" which is commom in obese patients. She is fine with me using diet, exercise and supplements to control my blood pressure for now.

And on the doctor's scale I was 242.3 at 1:30 pm, so I think 242 this morning was pretty accurate. Can't wait to see the 230's.

I ate a few too many chips tonight at Mexican (maybe 10), but otherwise had a pretty good day.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-04-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #1028
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyngerIsAScorpio View Post
I'm very cautious anymore about getting any food out...kind of OCD I guess but ya never know.
So true, Stynger! But it is a fact of my work and social life, that I must learn to eat out as well as I can, and today I sure learned where NOT to do it. I guess in addition to the surprising carb ct, what really bugged me is it wasn't that good at all. I'm feeling like a blow fish from all the salt in that meat, still tasting it at the back of my throat. Been drinking water all day, and not peeing hardly at all, which tells me my lunch is hanging on to that water like crazy. Not expecting tomorrow's weigh in to be pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Thanks for the recipe Blue Skies. I have everything except white wine vinegar, I think. I have red wine, apple cider, balsamic, rice, and white, I think. Do you think any of those would work?
Yes, I think they'd all work, except of course, balsamic vinegar is going to hand you more carbs. ---love it, but it does have more sugars in it. Also, apple cider vinegar can be quite stringent, so if you use it I might add a bit more splenda to balance that. When you get the chance, pick up some white wine vinegar. In many of the salad dressing recipes from my fave celebrity cooks I find this is what they use, for whatever reason, and many of my fave recipes are their recipes corrected w/sweetners for a LC woe.

Also, sounds like your Doctor's appt. went pretty well. I congratulate you on being "one of those patients." If our doctors really believe what they're telling us, then they should be able to answer to all our reading and questions, and be willing to take the time to do so. And good on you for checking out the thyroid thing---second opinions are always good when it's an important issue, and any good doctor would say the same.

Well gals, I made up for my disastrous lunch w/a GREAT dinner. Hubby made chicken breasts, w/skin and bone. He coats them VERY lightly, like w/a tsp of flour or less, (I watched him do it this time to make sure it WAS very little flour) browns them and then roasts them w/garlic and onions. (garlic cloves get cooked till crispy and so delish) He loves to make this, and always makes mashed potatoes and caramelized carrots to go w/it, both out for me.

Usually I make a side salad to go with this, but I'd had my fill of salad today. So I oven baked three pieces of bacon, chopped up two baby cucumbers (ever had these? They're tiny and darling) and a stalk of celery. Put the chopped bacon, celery, and cucumbers in little piles on my plate, along w/the chicken breast, and two TBSP of Ranch dressing on the side. Then stabbed everything with each bite, and dipped in the Ranch. Boy, was that good, and so easy, and didn't feel like I was having another salad.

So I ended up at 35 carbs for the day, and about 1500 calories---Did I mention that steak salad at Chipoltes ended up to be 620 calories? Grrrrrrrrrrr. SO done w/that fast food option.

But all's well that end's well, and tomorrow's another day of learning and sharing w/my pals here. Sweet dreams to everyone.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #1029
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Stats: 244/222/180
Start Date: Restart March 2013
I love reading everyone's day to day! I often think that what I do isn't very post worthy. Kind of boring actually! In any case I went to my weight loss dr for weigh in, They had me weighing at 238 last week. One week later I lost 7# and am at 231 today!

We don't have Chipotle here, but we do have Qdoba. I get their naked burrito bowl. Chicken or Steak, depending on what I am feeling. No beans, no rice, queso, fajita veggies, pico, sour cream, quac, cheese and lettuce on top. If I am close to carb limit I will cut the fajita veggies; the onions can put ya over in a hurry!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #1030
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello all!
WOW. What a day! I'm almost nervous at how positive a day it was, if that makes any sense lol
I had my dr. appt this morning....my FBS was 114, my a1c was 6.5...CBC was great, electrolytes were great, good cholesterol is fine, triglycerides are fine, bad cholesterol needs to come down. The most remarkable lab value was my Vitamin D level was very low, at 17. I used to take D3 daily on my own but had stopped a while back.
The doc ordered D3 for me, in case my insurance would cover it. If not, it's not all that expensive to buy over the counter. She also talked to me about options for the LDL meds...I forget the name of one drug, but it blocks the fat and cholesterol when you eat. Besides causing you to have to be near a bathroom more often than normal, I explained to her that I am eating low carb and high fat. She didn't even bat an eye and said okay, that drug is out.
She gave me a three month supply of Crestor, wants me to take 10 mg daily....not too keen on this idea, but I'll give it a shot. She said it's a temporary thing, and the goal is to get me off of it in three months...
Since I'm technically diabetic, she wrote a script for a glucose meter, and all the fixins...I've never had one but she said it's great to monitor myself since I'm not a candidate for any diabetic meds at this time. She is very supportive of my plan to do the low carb/exercise plan!
As I was in her office I got a voicemail on my cell phone...It was the job offer I was hoping for! It's part time but is only ten minutes from home and I think I'd like it!
Work went well and then I got another call. It was another job I had applied for and I have an interview next Tuesday! I need to see how that goes and do a pros/cons list for each of the jobs. I'm going in to the first job tomorrow morning and I know I'll work at least one day of the weekend there.
I just feel so much more human when I'm working as much as possible. It's not that I don't need the money, God knows I do, since I'm IT for paying the bills and keeping the house running, but its more about feeling like I have value and like I am taking care of my responsibilities.
I stopped at a farm stand on my way home and got some homegrown local strawberries Nothing better than that! I also picked up a pork tenderloin, and that's for dinner
I couldn't wait to get back here and share my day. I know I'm blessed every day, but today, I just kept shaking my head. We need to have days like this every now and then
I will be back later to catch up, once I have some chores done.. I hope you all are having a wonderful day! And thank you all for your kind words, support and ears/eyes for me to share and vent. I appreciate it more than you know!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #1031
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedStitch View Post
I love reading everyone's day to day! I often think that what I do isn't very post worthy. Kind of boring actually! In any case I went to my weight loss dr for weigh in, They had me weighing at 238 last week. One week later I lost 7# and am at 231 today!
WickedStitch, oh happy day! Congratulations! What a fantastic drop! You're doing something right, keep doing it. And also, please don't ever say, even in jest, that your take on our day to day struggle would ever be boring---well at least no more boring than we all can be. I hope you join in w/your stuff too, as I like to read everyone's take on things, and just from your handle--"Wicked Stitch"---I just know we have some things in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyngerIsAScorpio View Post
Hello all!
WOW. What a day! I'm almost nervous at how positive a day it was, if that makes any sense lol
Stynger, makes TOTAL sense to me. I'm a worrier, and sometimes when presented w/too much good news, I get nervous about it, even though I'm loving it. It's the "when is the other shoe going to drop" syndrome, like we can't believe things are going so well, and fear they won't be in the next minute.

So great that your Drs. appointment turned out so well, that she understands and accepts your Low carb woe, and has some ideas of how to support that, even if that includes a med. At some point I'd like to know more about the cholesterol test, as I've become very suspicious of those results from what I've read. But not today. Today is for "yipeeeeeeeee for Stynger!" And now you might be choosing between 2 jobs!

You know what? You deserve happy days and times. I do too. We all do.

Nice low key day for me. Been kind of lazy about food prep in these last few days, so tried Hardees broiled Atlantic Cod lettuce wrap for lunch. It was Ok, not something I'll probably have again. Dinner will be a pork chop and a salad. Carbs are very low so far, so probably a cream soda for a snack later.

Feeling contented today, and I'll take that!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #1032
Major LCF Poster!

WickedStitch! We want to hear from you! Seven pounds in seven days is awesome!!! I am doing well this week too...not sure what I am doing, but I am going to keep doing it! Queso is one thing Chipolte doesn't have. We have similar local franchise here called Pancheros that does have queso, I kind of forgot about it. It's so good. Might have to go there instead next time I eat out for lunch.

So glad you had a great day Stynger! Great news about the job(s)! Hopefully you will have your pick. Glad your doctor's appointment went well. DH has type 2 diabetes and I have PCOS and am on metformin. Low carb is so helpful for controlling them. Really, that's the main reason I will never go back to eating carbs. Sorry about the cholesterol, but it is good to hear your doc considers medication a short term solution.

Blue Skies, thanks for the info about the vinegars! I will pick up some white wine vinegar this weekend. They are all so different, aren't they?! The only thing I use white anymore for is my laundry. And balsamic has not been touched really since I went low carb. I pretty much use red wine for salad dressing and apple cider for everything else.

I keep inviting new people to join us, hopefully some of them are reading and join in!

Down again today to 241. Would love to see 60 lbs. gone by the weekend!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #1033
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lawmom
Stats: 216/212/140
WOE: Low/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 9/2009 - most recent restart 1/17/14
Good morning all! Congrats to Stynger and WickedStitch. I am still hanging in there trying to get through Week 1 and taking it a day at a time. I have also managed to get out and walk the track the last two nights (instead of sitting home in front of the TV munching!) The initial 4 lb loss has stayed off and this morning the scale finally crept down another .4 lbs. I think that I need to drink more water though. That is another thing that I have got to work on. This has seemed like the week that would never end in a lot of ways. I am so ready for the weekend! Well hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #1034
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
HI EVERYONE.

back from my trip. Florida was wonderful.

remember my 'lose at least 1/2 lb. when I come back'

well it went the other way

UP 6.2

no biggie. pure bloat weight. I did wonderful mostly. counted calories, keeping carbs moderate and swimming/hiking/surf fishing etc so I was moving well.

last night hubby says ALL YOU CAN EAT crab legs. away we go. I ate the world
fried shrimp, fried oysters, tons of crab, french fries, delish garlic bread, cheese sticks kiddo got for appetizer. We did the hog wild feeding frenzy.

On drive home yesterday we stopped at McDonalds for kiddo, nuggets and fries for me, bleck...lol....but then hubby got KFC chicken last night cause I wasn't cooking and no food in the house after a 9 hr. drive----so I ate some.

Honestly between the feeding frenzy at that restaurant and yesterdays junky food I should be up like 9-10 lbs HAHA. I have to say I downed alot of beer and drinks while on this trip. I had a GOOD time LOL I will take the 6.2 actually.

So it will take 2-3 days to get it off, then I am going back straight onto my little experiment plan and track it all and see how I do.

HOPE EVERYONE IS DROPPING LBS. WELL!!! it is good to be back and catch up with everyone now. feel like I was gone forever, of course hubby loves the beach so much he didn't want to come back.

but I am actually glad. I need food control again to get this all under my own control. So am happy to be eating light and clean starting today again.

Last edited by Trigger828; 06-06-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #1035
Major LCF Poster!

Happy to hear of all the weight loss !!!!!! Congrats to everyone !!!! I did some walking this week.As much as I could with my back. Happy to hear all the good Doctor visits going on. Good for you all. Trigger, Welcome back.I am happy you had a fun vacation. I hope everyone has a great day !!!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #1036
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---You have just been so steady in your weight loss since that big project finished. I think you should feel great how you picked up your game after that was finished, got back in there w/your best swing---and boy, it's sure has had a good outcome.

lawmom---Yay, you're hanging in there w/us. It gets easier and so much better once you get in the swing of it, and the rewards are fantastic. 4 months in and 95% of the time I'm very satisfied w/what I'm eating. The water thing is very important, and I had a hard time w/it at first too. Now I keep a glass full next to my computer---where I often am---and when it's empty, I fill it right back up and put it back there. This has made it so easy for me, and I'm not standing by the sink trying to gulp down enough water when I finally think about it.

Trigger---Welcome back, girl! Missed you around here. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation, an active one, and pretty not too darn bad on the woe. I've got a slew of vacations coming up, from shorter to longer, and I know it's going to be a challenge. So much harder to be on this woe when you're not at home. Looking forward to hearing how it goes back on your plan.

Jaded---good for you on the walking. I have really wanted to add that in, and I sure do think about it a lot, I just don't do it.

Today I had a nice and unexpected whoosh---2.5 pounds. Thought I'd be waiting longer for this one. My weight loss rate seems to have picked up a bit and wondering if it has anything to do w/starting to drink BPC. It could be a lot of things I guess, but this is really the only thing I've changed in my woe. And, it's more fat. After reading "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living it becomes quite clear how important that is. Anyway, so happy I love
BPC. Still can't believe how much I love it.

Had a Jimmy John's #9 unwich today, also a great source of fat. Having one of my fave salads for dinner: Spinach w/carmelized bacon, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, vidalia onions and my home made balsamic vinegarette. The balsamic is higher in carbs, but it's the best w/this salad, and I'm in very good shape w/carbs today, so I'm going for it. I may try a mix of balsamic and another vinegar and see if that does the trick, we'll see.

Fun to see everyone here today. It's a little party!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #1037
Major LCF Poster!

Blue---wow, congrats on that whoosh. those are very loved by all and you had a great big one! good for you.

what is BPC? I missed it somewhere in the posts. tell me what it is so I can use it also anything might help me LOL
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #1038
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Blue---wow, congrats on that whoosh. those are very loved by all and you had a great big one! good for you.

what is BPC? I missed it somewhere in the posts. tell me what it is so I can use it also anything might help me LOL
Trigger---BPC is "bullet proof coffee." That may ring a bell for you, but if not---it's about adding fat to your coffee, which I thought sounded horrid and resisted for months, no matter how many threads came up on it. Then I finally tried it and to my enormous surprise, absolutely loved it.

I put a dollop of butter, and a dollop of coconut oil in my coffee, and then nuke it till hot. Then I add a splash of Splenda and HWC. People make this all kinds of way to their taste, but this is my way, and you get the idea. To me, it tastes like an expensive coffee drink at Starbucks---particularly the White Chocolate latte, which I used to love in my pre LC days.

I never really liked fat bombs, too rich for me, but choked them down for the benefits. BPC works the same way when it comes to getting fat in your diet, and like Fat Bombs, it's a FABULOUS appetite suppressant. Never been a breakfast eater, but this I can do, and it keeps me from coming to lunch overly hungry. In fact, if I'm home w/nobody to remind me it's lunch time, I often go till 2pm or past before I'm hungry, if I've had BPC for breakfast.

The one caveat I would say for you, is that I believe your current plan sometimes includes higher carbs, and they say the "more fat thing" isn't good in combination w/higher carbs. Don't know how many carbs you're talking about a day these days. But if it's over 50 a day, BPC may not be a good thing for you.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #1039
Major LCF Poster!

thanks Blue. BPC. should have known that one cause I remember seeing it now.

I am not a coffee fan. Don't drink it I know so many love coffee. I think I had 5 cups in my entire life if that.

You are right. I am moderate carb. I am keeping my 'lower days' to 30-40 carbs but on my higher day I am UP TO 60-70 carbs. So I do need to watch the 'extra' fat that one would have alot of on very low carb.

BPC sounds like it is sure making a difference to you. That is good. Finding something to help you work a good way thru a low carb life is needed.

BUT I DID drop 2.5 lbs of bloat this morning. WEE. So 203.6 this morning. 2 more days tops should be back to normal. Thank goodness bloat from vacations etc. is easy to drop.

Last edited by Trigger828; 06-07-2013 at 03:55 AM..
Old 06-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #1040
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all! I am happy to report a drop on the scale today of 2.8 lbs. I am hoping to be back in onederland by the end of the weekend (or at least early next week). I am ready for the weekend (from a personal perspective) but kind of anxious about it from a WOE perspective. My DH works out of town and when he comes home on the weekend we tend to go out to eat a lot and then I cook him at least one big meal plus breakfast in the mornings. He does not do LC and neither does the rest of the family so it is mighty tempting to fall off track when everyone around you is eating the stuff that you enjoy....
Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #1041
Major LCF Poster!

lawmom--- it is hard. but with time alot of those foods become less and less desirable.

CONGRATS on that drop!

more time on plan the willpower and just ease of it makes a difference. Willpower in the beginning is harder. You know, the "I want it bad!! so ya might eat it" LOL but with time you can say---eh I want it bad but I will eat XX instead---and make yourself something very very LC decadent. it helps alot.

I was in your boat. my family eats out alot. is not very low carb. so atkins I did before, while I was 'better at resisting' in the end I could not resist it all. So I made my own moderate carb plan. It means I can have 'some of the stuff' the others are eating. just got to be super careful of course

hang in there! changing eat patterns is hard for everyone. we all go thru the motions of it and find ways to adopt and make it work for all of us!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #1042
Major LCF Poster!

WOW !!!!! Congrats on all the weight loss this morning !!!! I am going to jump in with you all and add 2 pounds to it. I am so HAPPY to see the scale coming down. I have some errands to run today,so that will keep me away from the fridge. LOL.
Hope everyone has a great day !!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #1043
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
lawmom--- i

hang in there! changing eat patterns is hard for everyone. we all go thru the motions of it and find ways to adopt and make it work for all of us!
What Trigger said! That's why we call it "Low Carb Our Way." But lawmom you've made it through one week of induction, one more week, and you can add in some carbs. When you can eat say, 30-40 carbs a day it makes a BIG difference from 20.

I didn't do induction this time on my LC woe. (Did it the first time, 5 years ago, and it WAS hard) Started out w/50 carbs or less a day this time, and backed myself down to now, when I do an average of 30 a day. Sometimes it's 25 a day, sometimes it's 38 a day, but it's always my choice and that feels good. Took me a bit longer to drop that way, no big dramatic whoosh, but my weight loss has been steady averaging about one lb a week since I started, and that works for me.

Since you already have a one week investment, and some nice rewards on the scale, why not bull it through another week, and then enjoy upping your carbs a bit.

On the restaurant thing, I have found it helps to go to the restaurant's web site before you go there, look at the menu, and make your LC choices. Helps block the temptation when you get there. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #1044
Major LCF Poster!

good post Blue. It says it all.

Our Way. do what works for yourself and stick with it. might be a tad slower, but it is not as severe than the very low carbers doing 10-20 NC tops per day. that does get hard. MANY food choices are eliminated. upping the carbs a bit means more freedom.

Jaded---WOW congrats on that drop!!! Nice! I will mail ya a padlock for that fridge door Every now and then I wish I could lock myself out of the fridge--or the whole kitchen!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #1045
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all! Having done this before, multiple times, I am familiar with the process. My real problems seem to be motivation. The first time around, I just really had that "ah-ha" moment and "cheating" was not really an issue. Then the holidays hit, I started slipping, and before I knew it I was off plan. Since then, there have been several stops and starts but I have never had that same "drive". I will say that this time I have started walking in the early evenings and that really seems to help with the evening "binges" which are always a downfall with me. I tend to eat between 20-30 net carbs but don't necessarily limit those to "induction" friendly foods. For instance, I had a sugar free candy today and a carbmaster yogurt but I am including them in my counts. I have also had a boiled egg and a grilled chicken salad (I hardly ate any of the spinach/lettuce) with ranch and two strawberries. Not sure what we are having for dinner, but I will make it work. I am really wanting to drop the extra 1.2 lbs this weekend, so hopefully that will keep me motivated!

Hope everyone is having a great day! Congrats Jaded on your drop
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #1046
Major LCF Poster!

lawmom I don't think anyone will ever have that 'same ah-ha' killer motivation like we did the first time we start a new way to eat to lose weight.

I have to say this time around (I dieted 2 times in my life) low fat/low calorie and starved. yea the weight came off, but it sure came back on fast also LOL

Now this time I 'kinda' started off gung-ho but real fast lost that killer motivation that I had the first time on low fat/low calorie. I also search for it. I can't find it like I had before and now I realize I don't think I will ever have it again.

now it is plod along. convince myself daily that eating healthy, stopping the junk, losing some lbs. is the SMART thing that any person should do. It gets me by each day LOL

hang in there!!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #1047
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I know. Been there done that before too. I too went on LC 5 years ago, lost a boat load of weight, and then slowly slipped off the wagon and gained it all back, plus. But for me, I treated it like a diet last time, wanted to drop weight, period. I did not make the effort to read, research and learn for a lifestyle approach. I did not search out healthy substitutes for what I was missing. I ate the same LC things over and over and became bored w/them. I ignored my need for variety in my diet, and bulled it through, instead of enjoying and exploring in the journey. Not saying this was true of you, lawmom, just talking about my experience.

So fade in fade out, late last fall I got a pre-Diabetes 2 diagnosis. Meaning I was borderline and my Doc started talking medications. Now THAT motivated me, and it changed the way I looked at food and the choices I was making. It ended my feeling that I just needed to "diet" for vanity's sake. I realized I had to make changes for my health.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but it's my story and I've learned to appreciate the "warning" because I love food and I don't know that anything else would have motivated me the way that did.

Don't know if I'll stick to this, way too early to tell. But I am thankful that for now I'm feeling pretty comfy in my LC woe, but am ever humble that can change, so I keep working to make it better and more satisfying.

And on that note, I'm making low carb crab cakes for the first time tonight. Going to have them on a crab cake sandwich made with TJ's toasted sprouted wheat bread, (which will only cost me 8 NCs,) lettuce, tomato and a spicy mayo I made this afternoon. We'll see. I find some LC recipes so darn good, and some so darn OK to bad.
We'll see which one this is going to be.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #1048
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and hey Jaded, got carried away there and forgot to say for that 2 lb loss. Talk about motivation, huh?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1049
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Misti---You have just been so steady in your weight loss since that big project finished. I think you should feel great how you picked up your game after that was finished, got back in there w/your best swing---and boy, it's sure has had a good outcome.

{snip}

Had a Jimmy John's #9 unwich today, also a great source of fat. Having one of my fave salads for dinner: Spinach w/carmelized bacon, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, vidalia onions and my home made balsamic vinegarette. The balsamic is higher in carbs, but it's the best w/this salad, and I'm in very good shape w/carbs today, so I'm going for it. I may try a mix of balsamic and another vinegar and see if that does the trick, we'll see.

Fun to see everyone here today. It's a little party!
Thanks Blue! I am up a pound today, but I think it is because I ate a lot late in the day yesterday. I forgot to have my shake for breakfast yesterday, then I got hungry at 10, ate a lot at lunch, ate a lot a supper, ate some snacks at night too.... So let's just say I don't think I would be good at intermittent fasting! Love Jimmy John's, though I am saving money by eating Atkins frozen meals for lunch rather than going out. Maybe next week I'll go.

Quote:
thanks Blue. BPC. should have known that one cause I remember seeing it now.

I am not a coffee fan. Don't drink it I know so many love coffee. I think I had 5 cups in my entire life if that.

{snip}

BUT I DID drop 2.5 lbs of bloat this morning. WEE. So 203.6 this morning. 2 more days tops should be back to normal. Thank goodness bloat from vacations etc. is easy to drop.
Welcome back Trigger!!! We missed you. Sorry to hear you gained but so glad it is coming off fast. That happened to me after my cruise in March. I actually had worse "induction flu" then then when I first started LC in November (I eased into it more then and didn't do a real induction phase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Good morning all! I am happy to report a drop on the scale today of 2.8 lbs. I am hoping to be back in onederland by the end of the weekend (or at least early next week). I am ready for the weekend (from a personal perspective) but kind of anxious about it from a WOE perspective. My DH works out of town and when he comes home on the weekend we tend to go out to eat a lot and then I cook him at least one big meal plus breakfast in the mornings. He does not do LC and neither does the rest of the family so it is mighty tempting to fall off track when everyone around you is eating the stuff that you enjoy....
Congrats on the drop lawmom!! KUTGW! Glad to have you here. Weekends are tough for me...too much access to grazing and I'm not busy all day like when I'm at work. Do your best to stick with LC eating, it's worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
WOW !!!!! Congrats on all the weight loss this morning !!!! I am going to jump in with you all and add 2 pounds to it. I am so HAPPY to see the scale coming down. I have some errands to run today,so that will keep me away from the fridge. LOL.
Hope everyone has a great day !!!!
Yea, Jaded! WTG with the 2 lb. drop. And good job on the walking too. I have been slacking off this week. I need to walk this weekend. I'm also seeing health coach on the 17th so maybe they can help with motivation.

Quote:
{snip}
On the restaurant thing, I have found it helps to go to the restaurant's web site before you go there, look at the menu, and make your LC choices. Helps block the temptation when you get there. Good luck!
Good tip...I have looked at way more restaurant websites in the past few months than I have ever before in my life. It feels good sometimes to plan ahead an know I'll be having something that is good for me and good for my body, AND hopefully tastes good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Thanks all! Having done this before, multiple times, I am familiar with the process. My real problems seem to be motivation. The first time around, I just really had that "ah-ha" moment and "cheating" was not really an issue. Then the holidays hit, I started slipping, and before I knew it I was off plan. Since then, there have been several stops and starts but I have never had that same "drive". I will say that this time I have started walking in the early evenings and that really seems to help with the evening "binges" which are always a downfall with me. I tend to eat between 20-30 net carbs but don't necessarily limit those to "induction" friendly foods. For instance, I had a sugar free candy today and a carbmaster yogurt but I am including them in my counts. I have also had a boiled egg and a grilled chicken salad (I hardly ate any of the spinach/lettuce) with ranch and two strawberries. Not sure what we are having for dinner, but I will make it work. I am really wanting to drop the extra 1.2 lbs this weekend, so hopefully that will keep me motivated!

Hope everyone is having a great day! Congrats Jaded on your drop
Great job on the walking. I don't binge, I'm more of a grazer but nighttime and weekend snacking is definitely a challenge for me. Sometimes it is just easier to sit on the couch and not move the whole night - it is better than putting something in my mouth I don't really need.

Quote:
{snip}
So fade in fade out, late last fall I got a pre-Diabetes 2 diagnosis. Meaning I was borderline and my Doc started talking medications. Now THAT motivated me, and it changed the way I looked at food and the choices I was making. It ended my feeling that I just needed to "diet" for vanity's sake. I realized I had to make changes for my health.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but it's my story and I've learned to appreciate the "warning" because I love food and I don't know that anything else would have motivated me the way that did.

Don't know if I'll stick to this, way too early to tell. But I am thankful that for now I'm feeling pretty comfy in my LC woe, but am ever humble that can change, so I keep working to make it better and more satisfying.

And on that note, I'm making low carb crab cakes for the first time tonight. Going to have them on a crab cake sandwich made with TJ's toasted sprouted wheat bread, (which will only cost me 8 NCs,) lettuce, tomato and a spicy mayo I made this afternoon. We'll see. I find some LC recipes so darn good, and some so darn OK to bad.
We'll see which one this is going to be.
Diabetes is what did it for me too. But it was my husband's not my own! For some reason my own obesity, PCOS and elevated insulin (controlled somewhat by metformin) was not enough for me to stick with LC (the longest I have stuck with it before is about a month, though I have known for several years I should be eating this way). Some kind of switch flipped when he was diagnosed, for both of us, and we both realize for health reasons eating otherwise is not an option, though we are certainly not perfect. Since we are both in this for the long haul we try not to let small mistakes completely derail us.

Crab cakes sound good! I made lamb sliders tonight, adapted from a Cook's Illustrated recipe. I should post in the recipe forum, they are really good and I make them usually once a week.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #1050
Major LCF Poster!

Misti---Oh my, you said a couple of things that resonated w/me w/your post. First of all, oh yeah baby, not an intermittent faster here. JUDDD and other plans of this sort do not call to me at all, because I know they would ignite my deprivation bone. And I know I could not sustain them. I know for me, that I must find a day in day out satisfying enough way to do this. And I'm calling that my major project for 2013. I'm a real project gal, give me a goal and a reason and I'm off!

Also, like you, I've known for years I loved carbs too much, and was eating too many of them. And not necessarily, for me, of the junk variety, although there was some of that. Good breads, Thai food on sticky white rice, a great pasta dish---these were my achilles heel much more than the junk.

I find it very touching that your "aha" moment concerned your husband's diagnosis. Those of us who are in long, if not perfect, but generally happy marriages know the scariest thing would be to lose our mate. Again, talk about motivation.

So on we go, all of us, hopefully w/support and understanding from our little corner of the world here. My crab cakes have been cooling in fridge, as per recipe, and now I'm off to fry them up and have my dinner.

Which is another thing, Misti. I eat late all the time. Guess my body is used to it.
Closed Thread