Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #991
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Working at home today, and I love those days. So much easier to eat. I made myself a great lunch---Chicago hot dogs, sort of. Of course I didn't have the poppy seed bun, did have a SL hot dog bun, buttered and toasted and split, open face style. Put a hot dog on each side, spicy dill pickle, banana peppers, tomatoes, onions, mustard and celery seed, all around 12 carbs. Had to eat it w/a knife and fork because it was open face, but boy was it yummy. Another fun thing in my never ending search for variety.

Having dinner w/friends tonight, going to have a flank steak or walleye cakes and aioli. We'll see. But it's going to be a good day on plan. Hope y'all are having one of those too.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #992
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hi gals.

It was another on site day for me at work, but today I did get lunch, a Greek Salad, and it was fantastic. Hadn't had one for awhile. My husband is making garlic soup for dinner, which I LOVE, and I'm making some cream cheese muffins, for the first time, to go w/the soup. I'm very curious to see what these will be like. Will probably also have a small side salad. Then for dessert/a later snack, some SO Delicious Chocolate Mint ice cream w/coconut crisps on top. So today, I'm loving my LC woe. Some days you just feel like you're in your sweet spot. Love those days.

Oh and yeah, can't believe I didn't mention this first, dropped another pound this AM, and am in "new territory." Didn't surprise me. Yesterday was VERY physical, and my calorie count wound up at 800, my carbs were 9. A very rare low combo for me, but I was just too wiped out to enjoy eating. Drank A LOT of water.

Hope this day is treating everyone as nicely as it is me.
YAY! on the pound lost! You're doing great! Physical days can help, even if they aren't an every day thing. I always feel better, except for the sore muscles, after I've pushed myself hard.
What is garlic soup? I love garlic and it sounds really good! Care to share the recipe?
And what is the SO ice cream? Sorry for all the questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
HAPPY DANCE FOR BLUE !!!!! Congrats on your loss !!!
I had a pretty busy day.I did get alot of things finished up.Like busy days. Keeps me out of the fridge.
Thank`s for the kind words folks. I appreciate it.Maybe IF I have another busy day tomorrow I will lose more this week.I am keeping my carbs low and eating more veggies.I eat too much protein.I am going to have to cut down.Hope every one has a good day tomorrow.
Busy days are GOOD! Thinking I might do a salad tonight, I've been way low on my veggies. Lately, my appetite is off but a salad sounds good now

Quote:
Hey Jaded, I like busy days too, and for the same reasons you do. Although I'm not opposed to laying around either. But it's good when you're busy enough to not be able to afford much thought of food. Congrats on keeping your carbs low and eating more veggies. And I know what you mean about the protein. It's easier for me to get my fill there than w/fat.

However, it is important to remember that many protein foods, such as eggs and meat, also have fat in them. In fact, I was reading last night in "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living," that unless you're eating only the leanest of meats, both meat and eggs have more fat in them than protein. Interesting.

Do you do BPC? I'm a recent convert, and won't bore you w/it. But if you have any interest in it, and from someone who swore they would never do that to their coffee, let me know, and I'll let lose.
Blue, I like some lay around time too lol I'm quite good at it lol I have to eat my fats...I don't do well with too little. Never had the BPC but now you all have me thinking here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Great job on the loss Blue Skies, though make sure you eat enough! Sounds like you got in your water which is good. I tend to be the opposite - I let myself get dehyrated rather than letting myself get hungry! It sounds like your job is very active. My biggest activity at work is walking to the bathroom which is way down the hall!

Didn't exercise tonight as I am working on balancing the checkbook/paying bills for the third night in a row. I was like 9 months behind on balancing the checkbook so it had to be done. I only found one major oops....a Target purchase for almost $200 from several months ago that I had not entered and could not find the receipt for. Oh well. I will keep up better in the future.

Stynger - hope you are able to find the Sara Lee buns. My son really likes them and can't tell the difference between regular buns and them. A strawberry/almond milk frothy sounds really good. Might have to try that.

Jaded - just keep with it, the results will show!

So, my blood tests from my doctor's appointment last week came back. Everything is normal except for vitamin D which was low. My A1C, fasting glucose and fasting insulin were awesome. Fasting insulin was half of what it was last year when I was eating carbs. I do take metformin but even with the metformin the number was on the high side of normal last year. Cholesterol was good too, and my HDL was in the normal range (50) whereas last year it was low. My TSH crept up a bit but still in normal range. I am going to post on the thyroid forum about that because I am concerned I might have subclinical hypothyroidism. Though I really don't want to be on another medication. I guess I'll see what the internal med doc says next Tuesday.

I think I dropped another pound today, but I am waiting for confirmation tomorrow before I claim it, as I think I may have been a bit dehydrated this morning. We'll see!
Way to go on your bloodwork results! Now you've got the proof that what you're doing is working! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedStitch View Post
I am curious about BPC! Drinking regular coffee upsets my tummy, I was thinking of giving BPC a try.
I'm a coffee drinker, but always have mine black. Now I'm thinking I might try it!

Quote:
Wicked Stitch, I have read about it here often, but thought it sounded terrible. Being an AM strictly black coffee drinker, I thought this was one LC idea I was never going to buy off on.

Well, never say never. Finally I was just so curious. Decided to make a cup, figuring if I didn't like it I could just throw it out. To my surprise, I found it to be absolutely yummy. Reminds me of a white chocolate latte from Starbucks. Not a breakfast eater, and this works perfectly for me. I get something in my stomach, but don't have to eat anything. Keeps me easily satisfied till lunch, even a late one. And it's a good way for me to get more fat in.

I put a TBSP of coconut oil and a bit less butter into a cup of coffee and nuke it till everything is melted and hot. Then I add the HWC and stir. I'm going to try some of vanilla SF Torani in it tomorrow. I keep forgetting to add it.

Maybe w/the fat and cream, this would dilute the coffee's irritation to your tummy?
I added Coconut oil to my store list, so I guess I'll try the BPC this weekend. I can't eat early in the AM but I'm liking the sound it more. I have to see what flavored SF syrups I have here....

Quote:
Working at home today, and I love those days. So much easier to eat. I made myself a great lunch---Chicago hot dogs, sort of. Of course I didn't have the poppy seed bun, did have a SL hot dog bun, buttered and toasted and split, open face style. Put a hot dog on each side, spicy dill pickle, banana peppers, tomatoes, onions, mustard and celery seed, all around 12 carbs. Had to eat it w/a knife and fork because it was open face, but boy was it yummy. Another fun thing in my never ending search for variety.

Having dinner w/friends tonight, going to have a flank steak or walleye cakes and aioli. We'll see. But it's going to be a good day on plan. Hope y'all are having one of those too.
Your lunch sounds delicious! So far, the only SL products I can find are wheat bread and multigrain, both Delightful... I want BUNS! lol Gonna talk to a few store managers this week or early next week.

Finally had my bloodwork drawn this morning. Whew. I've never had to fuss so much to get labs done.... I have the follow up appt on Wednesday so we'll see what they say then.
I hadn't eaten since 3pm yesterday and finally ate a little while ago. I made a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich with the SL bread and ate an avocado. Now I'm stuffed lol
My pre-fast meal yesterday was Dreamfields with white clam sauce. I didn't gain or retain any water from it. I don't do it that often but I never have a problem with it.
It's been pretty hot here and the tourists have started to descend so I've avoided the grocery store the past few days. Maybe EARLY tomorrow I'll go. I need more almond milk, berries, salad fixins....

I hope everyone is having a great day! It sure sounds like we all are doing very well!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #993
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Stynger---Same for me w/Dreamfields pasta. I only have it every couple of months and have no ill effects from it. It doesn't cause me cravings or knock me off plan or any of the other horrors some people report if ANY white food crosses their lips. There's a lot of controversy about Dreamfields, as to whether their "digestible carbs" thing is true, but I figure if I'm going to have pasta now and then I'll take my chances w/Dreamfields.

The ice cream I was referring is called So Delicious Coconut Ice Cream, and I buy the reduced sugar version---you can have a nice scoop for 3 or 4 carbs. It's made w/coconut milk and artificial sweeteners, and I think is aimed at the lactose intolerant. It is very good. I buy the vanilla bean and top it w/blackberries or raspberries and some coconut crisps. The only place I can buy it here is Whole Foods. Do you have one near you? If so, check this out. They also make a chocolate mint in the reduced sugar that is also quite good.

My husband makes the garlic soup. I'll try to remember to ask him for the recipe tomorrow, he's sound asleep now. It's like a very tasty tomato soup. You put scads of garlic cloves in it, but they cook down and the taste is just pleasantly garlicky, not overpowering at all.

Let me know how you like the BPC. I wrote above how I make it. The HWC is crucial, I think w/out that I wouldn't like it. Had some for breakfast this am, and again, it really keeps me going all morning, and I don't come to lunch so hungry.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #994
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Stats: 244/222/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart March 2013
Quote:
Maybe w/the fat and cream, this would dilute the coffee's irritation to your tummy?
Thanks so much for the info!!! I was thinking the same thing; with the additions, perhaps it would not give me the icky tummy. I will have to give it a try! I used to drink coffee with milk or cream in it. I am hoping the Bullet Proof coffee will make my tummy bullet proof too!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #995
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning all

No weight change this morning...a good thing I can pick up water weight by just breathing lol

I'm off today, the day is wide open but I'm hoping to be pretty productive. I have tons of clothes that have been too small but with the loss so far I'm headed to wearing them again. Maybe not this week or even this month, but I'm on my way.
I'm pretty frugal and certainly can't afford to keep buying all new clothes at every smaller size so I'm going to gather up all that stuff today and see what I have in my 'inventory' My shorts are loose, and as much as I LOVE it, its a pain to keep hiking them up lol
I have a long way to go for sure.
My menu for today is unplanned as of yet. Black coffee is all I've had so far.
I also need to clean out the fridge and make a list. With the tourist traffic already here I dread going to the grocery store...but it won't even be an option once Friday eve is here so I have to go today, by midafternoon.
It's a beautiful morning here and supposed to be in the low 90s, so the bulk of my chores are scheduled for the early hours
I hope everyone has an incredible day! I'll update my menu once I figure out what it is
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #996
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My foods so far today:

Grilled ham and cheese sandwich with SL bread...
Cheddar cheese (snack)
Blueberries with Almond milk and sf sweetener in the Bullet
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #997
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope everyone is ok and doing well... I'm starting to worry since I'm the only here since yesterday I'm not sure where everyone is located but my prayers are going out the for OK, MO and KS. What a tragedy...

My first AM weight says I'm down 1.2 lbs again. I had a feeling I would be down some. Yesterday I felt 'large' if that makes any sense. I checked my weight in the early evening, which I never do, but it was the same as in the early morning. I figured if I was feeling heavier but reading the same that late in the day that I would be down in the morning. I'll take it

Menu is unplanned so far, but I'll update as I figure it out. I hope everyone is doing well and is safe. I'm hearing an echo in here .....
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #998
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I'm here! I have been very busy at work this week. Forgot that after my stressful graduation ceremony we still have lots of work to do. I was trying to post yesterday then my boss walked in and I had to shut the window quickly . Then I didn't get a chance to come back last night. I'm in Iowa and no tornados here luckily but we have some flooding expected next week at the university where I work. I am down to about 244 today. We got a new scale but I don't think it is much better than my old one! Wii Fit says I lost 2.2 lbs. since last Saturday morning so I will consider that an accomplishment! Haven't walked in a few days. Need to do that this weekend.

Happy June everyone! Here's to a great month!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #999
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
I am here, and looking forward to a better June. I went a little AWOL in May and had a gain. Re-committing today. My main challenge is the beer, gotta work on that.

So far:
B-coffee, hnh, splenda, egg, sausage
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #1000
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all, I'm here too!

In the Twin Cities, and no scary weather here, thank God, just a rain shower about every hour. It's been raining for days, w/the sun poking out for a couple of hours at a time. Watching some of the footage of the tornadoes on the news as I write, and boy, talk about terrifying. And now the flash floods. Weather guy just said it looks like the storms are over for now, hope he's right.

Yesterday was so darn busy, after a long busy week, I came home, ate dinner, and hugged the sofa w/the hubby all night watching TV. But it was a good day on plan for me, although I did wake up to a 2 pound GAIN yesterday. Wrote a post about it in the Main Carb lobby, so won't go on about it here. Down a pound this morning. Fellow poster Ntombi posted a graph there of her weight loss, which is so cool, because I knew looking at it mine would look similar. Up and down and up and down, but DOWN on the whole. I don't ever seem to drop and stick. I bounce, bounce, bounce, down.

Stygner---lucky you. You seem to go steadily down w/out much bounce. Congrats on another pound down!

Misti---2.2 pounds in a week is just excellent! Really hoping to get a walk in this weekend too.

We're having ribs for dinner, and I'm jazzed about that because I got my Guy's BBQ sauce yesterday from Netrition, and can't wait to try it. The Ken's stuff I got at the grocery store is OK, but I'm hoping this is better. Also got some SF apricot preserves, which I couldn't find anywhere but Netrition, and I'm happy about that. I love a good chutney on a pork chop or pork tenderloin and I have a LC recipe for this that I can use the preserves for.

Don't know about lunch yet, we'll see. And yes, as Misti said, happy June, and here's a great month for all of us.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #1001
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's getting late in the day here but here's my menu for the day:

One hamburger topped with LC BBQ sauce

Later today I plan to eat:

LC cucumber salad
Pulled pork sandwich with SL Delightful bread
Strawberries with a small amt of Cool Whip

Snack: Cheddar cheese

I just ate the burger so maybe I'll eat the above, but it's not certain I'm still battling having to eat, since my appetite is definitely a lot less than it was!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #1002
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Editing the dinner menu here

I've been hungry for comfort food, so I pulled out some Xanthan gum, made beef 'gravy' with it out of beef broth....cooking some cauli too...so dinner will be:

Hot Pork Sandwich with gravy
Fauxtatoes (maybe with gravy)
LC cucumber salad

I've never used the Xanthan gum before but so far, so good. I've read that a little goes a long way so for 1 c of broth I used 1/4 tsp. I could use it a little thicker, but this will do nicely
Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #1003
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning all!

An update from yesterday....
I never did eat the berries, I wasn't too thrilled with the SL bread on the sandwich, so I only hate about half....

The good news is I'm down 1.6 lbs this morning! YAY! Since my restart on May 14th, I've dropped 15.6 lbs total. I just keep hanging in there one day at a time. Last night I had some wicked cravings for sweets but this morning is making me want to stick to plan even more.

I have a mini job interview today. Unusual on a Sunday but I happened to run into a retail manager yesterday and found out they're looking for some part-time help, which is just what I've been looking for. I was hoping to find some additional work close to home, with gas prices being a real concern. I'll find out more about the position today. Too much free time and I feel less than worthy, if that makes any sense? Besides, I'm single so I'm the only one paying the bills Wish me luck! Who needs a day off anyway? lol

It's way too early for me to think about food, but I'll update here as soon as I figure it out. I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #1004
Major LCF Poster!

Great job Stynger! Over 15 pounds in less than 3 weeks is awesome!

Can I just say I am grateful to have this little corner of "low carb my way" in this big place? Where we aren't made to feel bad about the way we eat because we choose to eat certain things that others may choose not to eat? 'Cause as far as I can tell it is working pretty well for all of us here, and that's the important thing!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #1005
Major LCF Poster!

Stynger---wowsville, almost 16 pounds down in no time at all! Isn't that just the most motivating thing? Whenever I drop I'm the very best brownie that day---forgive the use of the word "brownie."

Fingers crossed and high hopes for you on the job interview. I know all about the "feeling worthy" thing, not to mention the old saying that too much idleness is the devil's playground. I find that when I'm not busy enough my mind can do a real number on me. Feeling productive is important.

Oh, and on the SL bread, I thought when I read you were going to use it w/kind of heavy makings it might sog out on you, there really isn't much too it. I always toast it all buttered up, and it comes out like a crisp bread/cracker that's great for like, a BLT.

On that note---I finally found a low carb bread at Trader Joes yesterday that there has been several threads about on this board. It's called Sprouted Wheat, it is fantastic, much more substantial that SL's. and LESS carbs---4 net carbs a slice. I had a slice toasted this AM, w/a tsp of reduced sugar strawberry jam. So good this bread head could cry.

Misti---I could not agree more about "our little corner." I am so thankful for it. It's a fun part of this woe for me---getting to know you gals and sharing our journey. It's cozy and so helpful.

So I had a good day on the woe yesterday, and a very busy one. BTW, that Guy's BBQ sauce was fantastic on my ribs. Even my hubby, who thinks his BBQ sauce is the best in the world, and I have to say it is, thought it was excellent. Not so excellent he didn't have his sauce on his ribs. It is SO
satisfying to build up those low carb ingredients that really work for me. Each and every one of them makes me feel less deprived, and that's a very good thing for Blue, who gets a bit rebellious when she feels deprived.

Tonight we're having dinner w/a bunch of neighbors, but luckily my low carb neighbor and I planned the menu. So it will be guacamole, cheese and summer sausage for appetizers, salmon, asparagus w/hollandaise sauce and a salad for dinner. Dessert will not be for me as my hubby is bringing a rhubarb crisp, but everyone else will love it, and that makes him happy---so it makes me happy.

It's a glorious day here, finally, sunny and cool---just the way I like it. Hope some sun is shining on y'all too.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #1006
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Stats: 244/222/180
Start Date: Restart March 2013
StyngerIsAScorpio: Nice job with the loose pants! Keep it up!

Mistizoom: Where is Iowa are you? My husband is from Gladbrook. My father in law just headed back home to IA, after staying with us for about 2 weeks. I tried to get him to stay a couple days longer til the water receded a bit.

I have been able to get back on plan and resume some sense of normalcy. Wouldn't ya know that's when shark week decides to show up and tries to derail me. The sweet siren call of chocolate.....I have been good so far. I will need to go out and get some dark choc in case it calls while I am too weak to resist.

I need to make a dr appt at some point. I dislike drs. However I recently had some bloodwork done and they recommend that I go see my Dr. It appears that creatinine level is slightly off. Not by a huge amount, in fact they said that when they looked at my past records that I have always ran in that direction. So really I am not seeing the cause for concern. In fact, I believe that it's due to my constantly being dehydrated. For as long as I can remember, or at least since high school when I learned in A&P about the skin pinch test. If your skin bounces back you are hydrated if it does not and leaves a crease, you need to up your fluids...I have always creased.

In any case, my B/L was polish kielbasa with green pepper. Dinner I will have to see what is available and choose as wisely as possible. My son's Baseball Banquet is this evening. There is no telling what they will try to serve us!

Have a GREAT day!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #1007
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Great job Stynger! Over 15 pounds in less than 3 weeks is awesome!

Can I just say I am grateful to have this little corner of "low carb my way" in this big place? Where we aren't made to feel bad about the way we eat because we choose to eat certain things that others may choose not to eat? 'Cause as far as I can tell it is working pretty well for all of us here, and that's the important thing!
Thank you for the kind words I know there's bound to be a stall coming up sooner or later, so you all will hear me whine then lol
I totally agree with you about this little corner! No judgment here...we're all being real and the last thing we need is any tsk tsk from anyone. We've decided to go with what works best for us as individuals. So far so good. It's a learning thing. If I make a choice that doesn't work well, I'll be sure to share it with you all. We're kinda unconditional here and I like that a lot!

Quote:
Stynger---wowsville, almost 16 pounds down in no time at all! Isn't that just the most motivating thing? Whenever I drop I'm the very best brownie that day---forgive the use of the word "brownie."

Fingers crossed and high hopes for you on the job interview. I know all about the "feeling worthy" thing, not to mention the old saying that too much idleness is the devil's playground. I find that when I'm not busy enough my mind can do a real number on me. Feeling productive is important.

Oh, and on the SL bread, I thought when I read you were going to use it w/kind of heavy makings it might sog out on you, there really isn't much too it. I always toast it all buttered up, and it comes out like a crisp bread/cracker that's great for like, a BLT.

On that note---I finally found a low carb bread at Trader Joes yesterday that there has been several threads about on this board. It's called Sprouted Wheat, it is fantastic, much more substantial that SL's. and LESS carbs---4 net carbs a slice. I had a slice toasted this AM, w/a tsp of reduced sugar strawberry jam. So good this bread head could cry.

Misti---I could not agree more about "our little corner." I am so thankful for it. It's a fun part of this woe for me---getting to know you gals and sharing our journey. It's cozy and so helpful.

So I had a good day on the woe yesterday, and a very busy one. BTW, that Guy's BBQ sauce was fantastic on my ribs. Even my hubby, who thinks his BBQ sauce is the best in the world, and I have to say it is, thought it was excellent. Not so excellent he didn't have his sauce on his ribs. It is SO
satisfying to build up those low carb ingredients that really work for me. Each and every one of them makes me feel less deprived, and that's a very good thing for Blue, who gets a bit rebellious when she feels deprived.

Tonight we're having dinner w/a bunch of neighbors, but luckily my low carb neighbor and I planned the menu. So it will be guacamole, cheese and summer sausage for appetizers, salmon, asparagus w/hollandaise sauce and a salad for dinner. Dessert will not be for me as my hubby is bringing a rhubarb crisp, but everyone else will love it, and that makes him happy---so it makes me happy.

It's a glorious day here, finally, sunny and cool---just the way I like it. Hope some sun is shining on y'all too.
Wow! I love that you and your friend planned the LC menu and it sounds sooo good! If you could just decarb that crisp....I love rhubarb!
The job interview went well! I have to meet with an assistant manager hopefully this week! Corporate has to run the background check, which I know will be fine, so I hope to be working there by Thursday or Friday at the latest. Just knowing I might have the job has lifted my spirits a lot.
You are so right about the SL bread getting soggy. Yuck. I did just use two slices with two hot dogs and it was good. Toasting it is the best! No TJ's near here either. I do have Ezekiel bread in the freezer, which is sprouted grain. I get nervous when I read the carb count on the label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedStitch View Post
StyngerIsAScorpio: Nice job with the loose pants! Keep it up!

Mistizoom: Where is Iowa are you? My husband is from Gladbrook. My father in law just headed back home to IA, after staying with us for about 2 weeks. I tried to get him to stay a couple days longer til the water receded a bit.

I have been able to get back on plan and resume some sense of normalcy. Wouldn't ya know that's when shark week decides to show up and tries to derail me. The sweet siren call of chocolate.....I have been good so far. I will need to go out and get some dark choc in case it calls while I am too weak to resist.

I need to make a dr appt at some point. I dislike drs. However I recently had some bloodwork done and they recommend that I go see my Dr. It appears that creatinine level is slightly off. Not by a huge amount, in fact they said that when they looked at my past records that I have always ran in that direction. So really I am not seeing the cause for concern. In fact, I believe that it's due to my constantly being dehydrated. For as long as I can remember, or at least since high school when I learned in A&P about the skin pinch test. If your skin bounces back you are hydrated if it does not and leaves a crease, you need to up your fluids...I have always creased.

In any case, my B/L was polish kielbasa with green pepper. Dinner I will have to see what is available and choose as wisely as possible. My son's Baseball Banquet is this evening. There is no telling what they will try to serve us!

Have a GREAT day!!!
Your B/L sounds yummy!
I have my follow up doc appt Wedensday am. She'll be happy with the additional weight loss. I just hope the labs are generally ok. I feel ok so I'll be surprised if they're way off of normal.
I live in a constant state of dehydration

I totally get the chocolate craving. For some reason last night I was craving my grandmother's Black Joe Cake with cream cheese icing. I didn't get up and make one though lol But coincidently I did find a LC recipe here on the forum for a chocolate cake this morning. I have most of the ingredients. But it calls for oat flour and I have oat fiber. Not sure if its the same thing or if I can modify it? I'll have to research it more.

I am an emotional eater. And when the interview was over, I felt my old habits wanting to kick in. Due to nerves and feeling relief that the interview was over, I was starving! Usually I'd have binged on something carb crazy. But instead, I came home and made two hot dogs, each on a slice of the SL bread, with a tiny bit of ketchup, and lots of mustard and mayo. I feel like I gorged but I'm way below my carb limit, so I'm good. Changing my behavior is almost as important to me succeeding with this as is changing my food choices. I can come up with any excuse to eat. But now I'm making good choices for my food.
Thank you all for being here. I sincerely mean that. I get to share, brag, question and learn from you all!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #1008
Major LCF Poster!

Good on you Stynger, for making better choices under duress, instead of falling back to old habits. That's just the best feeling I think. And I agree completely, this woe is about A LOT more than eating. It gives us a lot of confidence I think, when we see our plan through, and beat our evil twins at their game.

Glad you enjoyed the SL bread w/your hot dogs. It really is very good for a sandwich, and yes, toasted is the best.

Well I just made the BEST salad for our dinner w/the neighbors tonight. Bacon, lettuce and tomato salad, w/celery, sliced hard boiled eggs and vidalia onions, which will be tossed w/my home made NO SUGAR French Dressing, which means I'll be able to totally enjoy it. I don't care about the carbs in the veggies or even the tomatoes. The fiber is good for me, and so
are the vegetables, which I tend not to eat enough of. Although I am a salad hound.

We're in for a lovely dinner tonight, most of it low carb. I think my carb ct will be great today, my calorie count maybe not so much. But I'm fine w/that, I intend to enjoy the evening, my friends, and the food.

It's so great when food becomes your friend again, instead of your enemy.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #1009
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Good on you Stynger, for making better choices under duress, instead of falling back to old habits. That's just the best feeling I think. And I agree completely, this woe is about A LOT more than eating. It gives us a lot of confidence I think, when we see our plan through, and beat our evil twins at their game.

Glad you enjoyed the SL bread w/your hot dogs. It really is very good for a sandwich, and yes, toasted is the best.

Well I just made the BEST salad for our dinner w/the neighbors tonight. Bacon, lettuce and tomato salad, w/celery, sliced hard boiled eggs and vidalia onions, which will be tossed w/my home made NO SUGAR French Dressing, which means I'll be able to totally enjoy it. I don't care about the carbs in the veggies or even the tomatoes. The fiber is good for me, and so
are the vegetables, which I tend not to eat enough of. Although I am a salad hound.

We're in for a lovely dinner tonight, most of it low carb. I think my carb ct will be great today, my calorie count maybe not so much. But I'm fine w/that, I intend to enjoy the evening, my friends, and the food.

It's so great when food becomes your friend again, instead of your enemy.

OMG Blue! I want that salad! That sounds so good!
I don't count any calories, just carbs and some days I just wing that, if I know that what I've eaten is very low carb. For me, if I don't feel like I'm on a strict plan or have a limit that is too set in stone I do better.
I've been so off and on with LC for the last few years...I took inventory of my low carb pantry today...wow. I forgot I even had some of this stuff LOL
I found a recipe for almond flour one minute chocolate cake and nuked it. It's cooling and will be my dessert. I hope I like it LOL
I also just pan fried some chicken breast pieces in coconut flour with seasonings and wrapped them in bacon, then popped them in the oven.
I had planned on either garlic green beans or a salad but now my sorry salad mix isn't sounding quite as good as yours!
Could you share the recipe or the proportions? The French Dressing recipe would be nice too if you don't mind I'm know, I'm needy LOL

Well back to getting some housey stuff done here.

I'll check back in later I hope you all are having a GREAT day
Old 06-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #1010
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lawmom
Stats: 216/212/140
WOE: Low/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 9/2009 - most recent restart 1/17/14
Hello all! Thanks for the invite Mitzi and Blue Skies.

I am just starting back today after many starts and stops over the last few years. I know low carb works for me but I have a real problem staying motivated. Today is Induction Day 1 -- It has been kind of tough... Scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast, Atkins Bar for snack, Cauli-crust pepperoni pizza for lunch, pickle slice for afternoon snack and just had dinner -- green beans, faux potato casserole and country style pork rib for dinner. Now comes the tough part -- getting through the rest of the night wiht no bingeing ....

I am going to go through and read people's posts and try to get to "know" you all. As for me, I am a wife, mom, and grandma. I also work full time. My family does not do the low carb lifestyle so I am hoping for support from these boards. I had a very successful run my first time with a wonderful group of ladies who tended to help with motivation during the difficult times. Unfortunately, we have all kind of gotten off plan and gone our separate ways for the most part. I tend to be a nighttime binge eater so that is one of my struggles. I also am on the road a lot -- so the convenience of "fast food" is sometimes a downfall.

Well enought about me for now! Hope you all are having a wonderful day
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #1011
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzee
Stats: 214/214/165
WOE: Atkins 30-40 carbs per day
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Hi! I lost almost 30 pounds earlier this year on low carb. Since then, the stress level in our lives has been astronomical. I have gained all of that weight back and have been eating whatever I feel like. Even ate a Key Lime Pie Krispy Kreme donut.

The thing is, when I eat something like that or have a Diet Coke...it doesn't taste good, but I do it anyway. I'm due for a check up with the doc next Monday. 6 vials of blood drawn. I know he won't be happy and I'm scared to death of diabetes. But, that doesn't seem to stop me from grabbing a handful of nestles chocolate chips or dried cranberries.

Again, they don't taste good to me any more. I'm going to TRY and restart tomorrow, but don't know how I'll do. I'm hoping that other people doing it at the same time will help me boost my spirit and determination. I really just want to walk away from everything. Thank you for listening. I'm going to read everyone else's posts and get some grit and inspiration.

What is JUDDD?

Last edited by Suzee; 06-02-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #1012
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Hello all! Thanks for the invite Mitzi and Blue Skies.

I am just starting back today after many starts and stops over the last few years. I know low carb works for me but I have a real problem staying motivated. Today is Induction Day 1 -- It has been kind of tough... Scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast, Atkins Bar for snack, Cauli-crust pepperoni pizza for lunch, pickle slice for afternoon snack and just had dinner -- green beans, faux potato casserole and country style pork rib for dinner. Now comes the tough part -- getting through the rest of the night wiht no bingeing ....

I am going to go through and read people's posts and try to get to "know" you all. As for me, I am a wife, mom, and grandma. I also work full time. My family does not do the low carb lifestyle so I am hoping for support from these boards. I had a very successful run my first time with a wonderful group of ladies who tended to help with motivation during the difficult times. Unfortunately, we have all kind of gotten off plan and gone our separate ways for the most part. I tend to be a nighttime binge eater so that is one of my struggles. I also am on the road a lot -- so the convenience of "fast food" is sometimes a downfall.

Well enought about me for now! Hope you all are having a wonderful day
lawmom!

This group is wonderful! I'm a newbie here too, and already have gotten so much inspiration from these fantastic people

Snacking can be a hard thing to deal with. Do you like pork rinds? Or pepperoni chips? A few of us discussed how preplanning and precooking has saved us from going off course. Makes sense, if you have a low carb option ready and handy, you're more likely to forego the carby foods.
Did you check out the Recipe threads? OMG the fantastic things here. And there are also Induction menus on the forum too.
So glad to have you. And here, there's only one rule as far as I can tell...you do WHATEVER works for you! You can totally create your own path and all you'll get is support here I love it!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #1013
Major LCF Poster!

Wicked - I'm in Iowa City, so not too far from Gladbrook, relatively speaking.

Stynger - congrats on the job! I hear you on the emotional eating. When I was stressed at work a couple of weeks ago my weight loss stopped, as I was snacking in response to stress. Luckily the scales are moving again. My main issues though are to try and not eat in response to boredom/head hunger. I have been doing pretty well, but every now and then I find myself staring at the cabinets wondering what I can eat. I try to resist, it works most of the time.

Blue Skies - the salads you make sound awesome! Do you have a recipe for the French dressing? I need to mix it up, I always use Italian or blue cheese.

lawmom! Glad you decided to join us! We are defintiely low carb our way! Sounds like a challenge to go low carb and avoid night eating/bingeing at the same time. Hopefully we can all get through the tough days together. I know there is also a thread under Addiction Support on night eating syndrome as well, not sure if you have seen that.

Suzee! Glad you found us! I don't have diabetes but I do have insulin resistance and PCOS and take 1500 mg/metformin a day for that. After eating LC for 6 months my blood sugar and fasting insulin levels are great, and my cholesterol too. It has been a real motivator to stick to this WOE. My husband has type 2 diabetes and his A1C is also down to normal levels with low carb eating and metformin. It works, and really health, rather than weight loss, is my primary reason for eating this way (though you probably wouldn't know it from many of my posts ). I am going to the doctor myself on Tuesday for a follow up for elevated blood pressure and Raynaud's syndrome. I thought losing 55 lbs. would have helped with the blood pressure but not so much!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #1014
Major LCF Poster!

I had a very high fat day today!

B - Atkins Advantage milk chocolate shake
L - Culver's double bacon cheeseburger deluxe (no bun), 4 mayo packets
S - 1 chocolate peanut butter fat bomb
D - 4 buffalo chicken wing pieces, homemade blue cheese dressing, creamed kale (made with heavy cream and butter)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #1015
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzee View Post
Hi! I lost almost 30 pounds earlier this year on low carb. Since then, the stress level in our lives has been astronomical. I have gained all of that weight back and have been eating whatever I feel like. Even ate a Key Lime Pie Krispy Kreme donut.

The thing is, when I eat something like that or have a Diet Coke...it doesn't taste good, but I do it anyway. I'm due for a check up with the doc next Monday. 6 vials of blood drawn. I know he won't be happy and I'm scared to death of diabetes. But, that doesn't seem to stop me from grabbing a handful of nestles chocolate chips or dried cranberries.

Again, they don't taste good to me any more. I'm going to TRY and restart tomorrow, but don't know how I'll do. I'm hoping that other people doing it at the same time will help me boost my spirit and determination. I really just want to walk away from everything. Thank you for listening. I'm going to read everyone else's posts and get some grit and inspiration.

What is JUDDD?

to the group! You'll find lots of support here! The most important thing is to not beat yourself up for the past and not for any current little missteps either! Look at the doc visit as a chance to make a clean start! I was going through the same thing, and have my bloodwork followup on Wednesday morning. You took the best first step and you'll know what your labs say and then you can get and be better! Take a deep breath and come here whenever you need some understanding and inspiration

Quote:
Wicked - I'm in Iowa City, so not too far from Gladbrook, relatively speaking.

Stynger - congrats on the job! I hear you on the emotional eating. When I was stressed at work a couple of weeks ago my weight loss stopped, as I was snacking in response to stress. Luckily the scales are moving again. My main issues though are to try and not eat in response to boredom/head hunger. I have been doing pretty well, but every now and then I find myself staring at the cabinets wondering what I can eat. I try to resist, it works most of the time.

Blue Skies - the salads you make sound awesome! Do you have a recipe for the French dressing? I need to mix it up, I always use Italian or blue cheese.

lawmom! Glad you decided to join us! We are defintiely low carb our way! Sounds like a challenge to go low carb and avoid night eating/bingeing at the same time. Hopefully we can all get through the tough days together. I know there is also a thread under Addiction Support on night eating syndrome as well, not sure if you have seen that.

Suzee! Glad you found us! I don't have diabetes but I do have insulin resistance and PCOS and take 1500 mg/metformin a day for that. After eating LC for 6 months my blood sugar and fasting insulin levels are great, and my cholesterol too. It has been a real motivator to stick to this WOE. My husband has type 2 diabetes and his A1C is also down to normal levels with low carb eating and metformin. It works, and really health, rather than weight loss, is my primary reason for eating this way (though you probably wouldn't know it from many of my posts ). I am going to the doctor myself on Tuesday for a follow up for elevated blood pressure and Raynaud's syndrome. I thought losing 55 lbs. would have helped with the blood pressure but not so much!
I'm wondering if I see a drop in my BP this week too. My maternal grandmother had chronic hypertension and I'm hoping the bit of weight I've dropped will show a nice drop in my numbers.

Quote:
I had a very high fat day today!

B - Atkins Advantage milk chocolate shake
L - Culver's double bacon cheeseburger deluxe (no bun), 4 mayo packets
S - 1 chocolate peanut butter fat bomb
D - 4 buffalo chicken wing pieces, homemade blue cheese dressing, creamed kale (made with heavy cream and butter)
I like your menu! I have to check the dates on my Atkins shakes, I have the Chocolate Royale, forgot I had them but chilled one in the fridge...they might be out of date....
I never thought about creaming kale! I have a nice bunch in the fridge but just avoided it yesterday. I usually cook off some bacon and cook it with that and a little water, but you just gave me another option!

I made the one minute almond flour chocolate cake for dinner/dessert yesterday.It was relatively good! It wasn't my grandmother's Black Joe Cake but it did take care of my desire for something cakey and chocolate
I topped it with Cool Whip. It'll be one of my 'save me from cheating' recipes lol

My weight is unchanged from yesterday I thought maybe I'd have some water gain from the saltiness of the xanthan gum gravy I made but it didn't happen

My planned menu for today:

Leftover bacon chicken breast
Salad
Strawberries

I'll update it as soon I figure it out
Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #1016
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
Start Date: 1/1/14
Hi All, I had a busy weekend.I did stray one small meal on Saturday.I jumped right back on plan Sunday morning,though.I was down 2 pounds on Friday morning.I am pretty sure i kept it off all weekend.Not much of a loss, I will claim it, though.
I would like to say WELCOME to Lawmom,Suzee and Rotay60 !!!!!! I will look forward to your post.
CONGRATS on everyone that had a loss this weekend !!!! Very Happy for you all.
Okay, lets work those plans this week and lose some pounds !!! I plan on doing some walking this week. Hope I can. Good Luck to all.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #1017
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lawmom
Stats: 216/212/140
WOE: Low/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 9/2009 - most recent restart 1/17/14
Thanks for the warm welcome. Made it through induction Day 1 and am on to Day 2. Lost 4 lbs overnight (which I KNOW is water weight but still makes me feel good). Stynger, I have looked at the recipe boards and know that planning is essential. I do pretty good during the day but it is just those late night cravings that kill me. I will eat pork rinds, deviled eggs, Vienna sausage, ham and cheese rolls and most of the other low carb "snacks" but I am going to really try to only eat when hungry and NOT because I am simply bored or "craving". I still haven't had a chance to go back and review everyone's previous posts but am looking forward to doing that (maybe as an alternative when those late cravings hit!) Hope everyone has a great day
Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #1018
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. Made it through induction Day 1 and am on to Day 2. Lost 4 lbs overnight (which I KNOW is water weight but still makes me feel good). Stynger, I have looked at the recipe boards and know that planning is essential. I do pretty good during the day but it is just those late night cravings that kill me. I will eat pork rinds, deviled eggs, Vienna sausage, ham and cheese rolls and most of the other low carb "snacks" but I am going to really try to only eat when hungry and NOT because I am simply bored or "craving". I still haven't had a chance to go back and review everyone's previous posts but am looking forward to doing that (maybe as an alternative when those late cravings hit!) Hope everyone has a great day
Congrats on making it through Day 1 and your loss! It's one day at a time...and if you mess up just jump right back in. Losing 4 lbs. overnight is a great motivator, even if it water weight! You need to get rid of that water and glycogen in your muscles to turn into a fat-burning machine!

I'm about the same today, 243.4 or so. Would like to see 240 soon!

B - Atkins Advantage Milk Chocolate Shake
S - Atkins Day Break Creamy Chocolate Shake (I got up VERY early this am and was hungy).
L - Atkins Chicken Broccoli Alfredo frozen meal, 2 chocolate peanut butter fat bombs
D - probably chicken thighs, pan-roasted asparagus

Another day of being an Atkins poster child! Works for me. I scored a ton of Atkins Advantage shakes at Walmart yesterday for $5.78 for 6 shakes (bonus pack). So I am set for a couple of months at least!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #1019
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Congrats on making it through Day 1 and your loss! It's one day at a time...and if you mess up just jump right back in. Losing 4 lbs. overnight is a great motivator, even if it water weight! You need to get rid of that water and glycogen in your muscles to turn into a fat-burning machine!

I'm about the same today, 243.4 or so. Would like to see 240 soon!

B - Atkins Advantage Milk Chocolate Shake
S - Atkins Day Break Creamy Chocolate Shake (I got up VERY early this am and was hungy).
L - Atkins Chicken Broccoli Alfredo frozen meal, 2 chocolate peanut butter fat bombs
D - probably chicken thighs, pan-roasted asparagus

Another day of being an Atkins poster child! Works for me. I scored a ton of Atkins Advantage shakes at Walmart yesterday for $5.78 for 6 shakes (bonus pack). So I am set for a couple of months at least!
Misti, you're rocking it! I still didn't try the Atkins shake in the fridge. I had a busy day at my son's place, getting some work done. His fiancé brought me a cheeseburger, no bun, and a salad. It had Greek dressing and I have no clue how many carbs were in it but I doubt it could hurt that much, I hopehht!
It's going to be leftovers tonight for a late supper...bacon wrapped chicken breast, mashed cauli and 'gravy'....
And probably strawberries I love them!
I hope you all are having a wonderful day!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #1020
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome to Lawmom, Suzee and Rotay60!

Lawmom---as you get deeper into this woe, like probably w/in a week, your appetite will decrease. When I started 4 months ago, I ate a lot of Low Carb stuff to keep from eating carbs. Then all of a sudden, I wasn't much interested in food, and had to remind myself to eat. Then after about a month of that, what Misti calls "mind hunger" (love that term, Misti) Usually it's boredom or stress. I eat my fave low carb treats on days like that, as much as I want---although it's never that much because you're so much more quickly sated on LC. Then next day it's gone, and I'm happy back on plan again. But I can tell you, I'm very content and satisfied 95% of the time on this woe, and I can handle that little 5%.

Misti and Strynger --- here's the recipe for my salad you asked for. I'm going to give amts for one or two people, regarding the salad. The dressing will make enough to have plenty left over for future salads.

Salad makings:

Romaine lettuce ---I like to buy the hearts, very crispy and crunchy
2 or 3 pieces of oven baked bacon
Tomatoes to taste---I've used all kinds, grape, plum, regular, heirloom etc.
A stalk or two of celery
Couple of slices of Vidalia (or any sweeter onion, you can also use scallions)
2 or 3 hardboiled eggs ---I slice 'em thin w/one of those handy egg slicers

***I make this like a semi-chopped salad, in other words, I chop everything to bite size, so one can easily stab many delishy morsels on the fork for every bite.

Dressing:

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Splenda (or the equivalent of any sweetner you like)
1/4 cup reduced sugar ketchup (I use Heinz.)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil,
a glove of garlic minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I prefer the fresh clove)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper - I like the chunky pepper you grind.

Throw it all in the bowl, whisk it up, and voila! NOTE: If you don't have reduced sugar Heinz, I've used the real thing, and I've also used chili sauce.
If you dress conservatively at first and toss well, only adding more after the taste test if not enough, you don't have to use a lot and then the carbs in reg ketchup or chili sauce are not such a big deal. I actually like the taste of reduced sugar ketchup BETTER than the reg, so I make it a point to have it on hand. Hope you enjoy.

We had a lovely dinner last night. Totally delish. And while I though I was going to eat like a house on fire, as usual, I was sated on the low carb fare before I could get that crazy. So my calories ended up fine, carbs for the day were excellent.

***Stynger --- I didn't count calories for my first couple of months on this woe, because I hate the whole calorie counting thing too. I added them in pretty much to have the data, in case of any gnarly stalls. I give myself 1500 to 1800 calories a day, (was probably eating 2100 to 2300 on many a day before I started this woe) and I find this range very reasonable and not restrictive at all. But it does make me conscious of what I'm eating, and I like that. Sometimes I look at things I ate when I log in and think, note to self, not worth the calories. But my carb count is very much my priority.

Today was a Greek Salad for lunch, and just got home w/a hardees lettuce wrapped Frisco burger---burger, tomato, some kind of good white cheese, bacon and mayo. YUM. I might toast up some of my sprouted wheat bread to have it on. It will cost me 8 carbs, but I'm in good shape today, and I can afford them. Maybe a cream soda or a scoop of So Delicious ice cream for a snack later.
Closed Thread