Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #931
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
the ability to really get to know one another a bit, and knowing no one here is going to tell us to count the carbs in spices, for heaven's sake. Oh my, oh my.
I like getting to know people also. the forum is soooooo huge when people post ya kinda just don't know them or what they are all about. this little thread does help get more personal. I like it.

and you are so right about no one here is going to tell ya to count carb spices, or cut one piece of cheese from your diet, or ONE less spoonful of HWC lol

I like that we all do it our way and no one gets on our case. we support the crazy of it all here.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #932
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SUCCESS!

DOWN 1 lb.

will take it and more any day of the week LOL

doing well on my experiment plan. 3 days ago I was 203, this morning I was 199.8 on the scale. I am getting it done eating moderate carbs. I love it !!!

off to kiddo's school, she is getting some kind of smart kid award. see ya'll later

I hope the scale treats everyone good this morning.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #933
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Hello everyone. Still hanging in at 248. Have my yearly gyn exam tomorrow, fun times. Hopefully the doctor is happy with my weight loss. I am sure she'll want me to start exercising!

I think we we wouldn't be able to get higher priority than any other challenges. I would say we just need to keep it active! And recruit anyone in other threads who seems like a good fit and is doing their own plan!
Misti, I hope the doctor visit went well! I hear you on the exercising That's on my list but it hasn't made it to the top yet

Quote:
I think you're right about the "higher priority thing" I just panicked for a minute when I couldn't find you gals. I just really appreciate the intimacy of our little thread, the ability to really get to know one another a bit, and knowing no one here is going to tell us to count the carbs in spices, for heaven's sake. Oh my, oh my.

Anyway, good luck at the Doctor's tomorrow, Misti. God, I hate Drs. appointments. Seems whatever you've done, however hard you've worked, it's never quite enough.

And hey, "hanging in there" at your present weight, having lost so much, and still fighting the good fight is a really good thing. Hanging in there is everything and DOES eventually lead to rewards. But then, you already know that.
Exactly what she said! I couldn't have said it better! I'm so glad I found this group. It's where you can be real and not be afraid to share what works or doesn't work for you. I like it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I like getting to know people also. the forum is soooooo huge when people post ya kinda just don't know them or what they are all about. this little thread does help get more personal. I like it.

and you are so right about no one here is going to tell ya to count carb spices, or cut one piece of cheese from your diet, or ONE less spoonful of HWC lol

I like that we all do it our way and no one gets on our case. we support the crazy of it all here.
It's great getting to know you all. And I am getting motivation from you all. Thank you so much for that!

Quote:
SUCCESS!

DOWN 1 lb.

will take it and more any day of the week LOL

doing well on my experiment plan. 3 days ago I was 203, this morning I was 199.8 on the scale. I am getting it done eating moderate carbs. I love it !!!

off to kiddo's school, she is getting some kind of smart kid award. see ya'll later

I hope the scale treats everyone good this morning.
Trigger, congratulations on your kiddo getting that award! You have to be so proud
And WTG! on losing another pound! You're making it work for sure! We aren't cookies from a cookie cutter. What I like is that you are and were willing to see whatever results were waiting for you and just went ahead and tried this experiment. So so glad it's working!

I'm down .6 lbs. this morning! Yay me! I haven't figured out my menu yet but I will come back and post it as soon as I do.
I'm wishing everyone a FANTASTIC day!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #934
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hey Stynger---You're rockin' that multi quote thing And your weight loss! You're just on a shoot sliding down every day. How great is that, and isn't that the ultimate motivation?

Trigger---commented on the leftovers thing and forgot to congrat you on that 1 pound loss. If it's one thing I've learned it's that on little pound is A LOT. When I was younger I thought it was not worth my excitement, I needed bigger losses. Now that I'm older and wiser I realize exactly how much it is---like a pound of hamburger not on you anymore, or 4 freaking sticks of butter, off! Looking forward to hearing more about the carb cycling.

Well, last night I made Nancy's pizza. I overcooked it and in an effort to make it smaller than her recipe I think I goofed up some amts----and it was STILL good! I was amazed how much it tasted like real crust on real pizza. My husband couldn't believe it. And, 2 and a half pieces filled me right up.I'll be making this one again soon, and until I get it just right. It's a keeper! Also had a small scoop of So Delicious vanilla bean ice cream w/blackberries and coconut crisps sprinkled on top. Holy moly, that is...well, SO DELICIOUS. Honestly, I feel like I ate like a queen last night, and ended up w/just 14 grams for the day. Calories were low too. Love it when that happens!

Maintaining 3.5 of my 4 pound whoosh. No big bounce back up. This one I can really see in my clothes.

Have a beautiful day everyone.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #935
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Just wanted to check in. Happy for everyone that has lost some pounds this week !!!!!
I think I have,will try and weigh tomorrow and see.My week has gone okay,so far.I have been very busy and no time to do too much.Uncle is a bit better.Thank`s for the prayers.
Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #936
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hey Stynger---You're rockin' that multi quote thing And your weight loss! You're just on a shoot sliding down every day. How great is that, and isn't that the ultimate motivation?

Trigger---commented on the leftovers thing and forgot to congrat you on that 1 pound loss. If it's one thing I've learned it's that on little pound is A LOT. When I was younger I thought it was not worth my excitement, I needed bigger losses. Now that I'm older and wiser I realize exactly how much it is---like a pound of hamburger not on you anymore, or 4 freaking sticks of butter, off! Looking forward to hearing more about the carb cycling.

Well, last night I made Nancy's pizza. I overcooked it and in an effort to make it smaller than her recipe I think I goofed up some amts----and it was STILL good! I was amazed how much it tasted like real crust on real pizza. My husband couldn't believe it. And, 2 and a half pieces filled me right up.I'll be making this one again soon, and until I get it just right. It's a keeper! Also had a small scoop of So Delicious vanilla bean ice cream w/blackberries and coconut crisps sprinkled on top. Holy moly, that is...well, SO DELICIOUS. Honestly, I feel like I ate like a queen last night, and ended up w/just 14 grams for the day. Calories were low too. Love it when that happens!

Maintaining 3.5 of my 4 pound whoosh. No big bounce back up. This one I can really see in my clothes.

Have a beautiful day everyone.
TY maam! Isn't that pizza the bomb!?! I have even been using it just as is with my eggs and bacon. Subbing it for toast... It gives me the mouth feel or chew I miss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
Just wanted to check in. Happy for everyone that has lost some pounds this week !!!!!
I think I have,will try and weigh tomorrow and see.My week has gone okay,so far.I have been very busy and no time to do too much.Uncle is a bit better.Thank`s for the prayers.
Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.
I'm so glad to hear that Uncle is better! More prayers going up!

Just getting my first meal of the day....three eggs, over lightly, bacon and a slice of plain Faux Pizza, unsweetened tea....

Have a GREAT day everyone!

Oh! Almost forgot to ask...
Anyone here like Ezekiel Bread? I have used it in the past and have some in the freezer but I'm heck bent on keeping my carb count down. Anyone here us it?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #937
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Posting dinner so I commit to it

Skinless, boneless chicken tenders in butter/lemon
SF broccoli salad
Strawberries

Just had my late breakfast/lunch so I may just have a snack to add here later...I like to keep my metabolism up with three to five meals a day so we'll see....

Hope you all are having a GREAT day!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #938
Major LCF Poster!

Stynger---I'm going to have to try that crust just as bread, warm and w/a nice pad of butter,mmmmmm. And you're right, it has the texture and chew I miss. I've tried many a "low carb" bread w/out finding that.

On that subject, don't know about the Ezekiel bread. I've finally settled into just buying Sara Lee's light and Delicious bread, which is 7 NC's a slice. I cut off the crusts, taking it down to 5 carbs a slice. I pop them in the toaster, buttered when I want a real sandwich. At 10 carbs a sandwich it's worth it to me. Also Sara Lee's Light and Delicious hamburger buns are 8 carbs a piece, and occasionally I enjoy a real cheeseburger w/one of these little darlin's...or two if I've been good all day. Still just 16 carbs.

Making myself an afternoon treat I'd forgotten all about. Steamed an artichoke and going to have a dipping good time w/butter, lemon and mayo. About 6 NCs for a medium artichoke. Yummy snack for me.

Out to a party tonight, but I know she's serving chicken and salad at least, so hopefully, I'll be fine.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #939
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like the group is now doing ok. things are settling for everyone. that is good!!

fun to read all the posts!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #940
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sounds like the group is now doing ok. things are settling for everyone. that is good!!

fun to read all the posts!
OMG, Trigger---I just noticed you have entered Onderland! if only by a hair.
Still... So glad it's working for you, and you're enjoying the increased variety.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #941
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Sounds like everyone is doing well! I dropped 1.4 lbs. this morning to 246.6, then weighed in at 245 at the doctor's office! Yea! She didn't care too much though. Plus she referred me to internal medicine for my blood pressure being a bit high and the Raynaud's syndrome I have been experiencing (fingers get numb and white when they get cold). I will need to scope out the health forums for natural high bp remedies because I am not about to go on medication for it at this point.

Is the LC pizza (Nancy's?) you are talking about made with a cheese crust? There is one I can buy called Van Harden's. My local grocery store carries it. It's pretty good, but very rich.

We used to eat Ezekiel bread sometimes back when we were eating more "traditional foods" a few years ago. Too high carb for me and DH right now. I am buying the same Sara Lee XX Calories & Delightful bread and buns that Blue Skies is, but only for my DS (age 10). I haven't been a big bread eater for years so it wasn't a big deal for me to give it up.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #942
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning all!
Already running late LOL Update from last night....due to the chaos here with the Arias verdict (I'm a trial junkie), my phone, pc were blowing up last night, I didn't even make dinner. I had an avocado and strawberries for dinner at 11 pm last night.... I'm down another 1.2 lbs this morning

Misti! WTG! You're doing so well!

Blue, keep up the great work! This has been a good weekoverall!

Trigger, I haven't had a chanced to get to your journal today yet but I will when I get back in from work.

You all are inspiring me and keeping me on plan! Thank you so so much!

I'll get all caught up this evening. Off to work I go....
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #943
Major LCF Poster!

Misti --- yes, Nancy's pizza is made w/cheese crust and so darn easy. Mozzrella, eggs, garlic and basil pressed into pan, baked for 30 minutes. Then add toppings and broil. So good. And wow, you weighed in at LESS at the Doctors office! That deserves to be a headline, lol. Congratulations on your drop, Misti. Just a week ago you were so frustrated and stressed and now look at you! Good reminder for us that the scale DOES give in if we don't.

Stynger --- Ahhh. Ms. Arias. Really spooky girl. Haven't kept up like you have but what I've seen Love it when you get so busy you end up eating less. Whatever you're doing, boy is it working!

Well gals, so last night I was at a dinner party of a pal's whose mother and sister, who I've known forever, were visiting. What a feast. I passed up the chips, the potatoes, the carrots and the strawberry cheese cake, and had a delicious steak - 2 big pieces, and ceasar salad. But I did not, could not, pass up a buttered and broiled piece of baguette. OMG, it was so good, and somehow I stuck to just one. My love affair w/bread, evil as they say it is, will never be over.

All is well, my carb ct for the day was 34, 16 of that for that one slice of bread, but it was worth it. Calories weren't bad at about 1650, but I sure felt like I'd eaten more. Got on the scale this AM w/some trepidation, but I didn't gain or lose an ounce, and still hanging on to my whoosh. Not so bouncy this time. And that's good enough for me for today.

Hope everyone has a great one.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #944
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like you did great the party Blue Skies. And sounds like we are having a pretty good weight loss week overall!

I am down another pound today, to 245.6, woot! TOM started yesterday and I'm down 2.4 lbs. since 2 days ago. At least it is good for something. Hopefully this sticks. Have been very hungry today, and know I should hold off, but I've been eating extra (LC) foods today as work is more stressful this week than I anticipated (I know, that was supposed to be over this past weekend! I forgot college students freak out after their final grades post, and they are stressing me out!)

SO FAR TODAY...
B - Atkins Advantage Shake
S - Atkins Day Break Shake, about 1.5 oz. peanuts
L - Atkins Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo meal

Dinner will probalby be buffalo chicken wings.

I'm already think about an Atkins bar for this afternoon, and I hardly ever eat those. I am like an Atkins poster child. Oh well, as long as the scale continues to move and I am eating LC I am not going to worry about it too much for now.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #945
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CONGRATS EVERYONE! LOSSES ON THE BOARD!!

Misti, the Dr. didn't care much about the weight loss? she blew past it and talked other stuff? geez, a little pat on the back would be nice I'll give ya one. you are doing great and keep up the good work.

I am up just a bit. expected it. bounce to 200.8. but it means I will be solid in the ONEderlands after today or tomorrow probably. Going to be super careful (but of course the stinking memorial day is here and we are party people, ugh) but I will do my best to lock in onderland and get this show on the road. I am doing very well.

google blood pressure. I know there are tons of natural things you can try to lower that a bit!! and if not too high, most times JUST going to the Dr. raises me up a few points anyway.

Blue good job on the party. all that stuff and you passed it by. COOL
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #946
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Misti --- yes, Nancy's pizza is made w/cheese crust and so darn easy. Mozzrella, eggs, garlic and basil pressed into pan, baked for 30 minutes. Then add toppings and broil. So good. And wow, you weighed in at LESS at the Doctors office! That deserves to be a headline, lol. Congratulations on your drop, Misti. Just a week ago you were so frustrated and stressed and now look at you! Good reminder for us that the scale DOES give in if we don't.

Stynger --- Ahhh. Ms. Arias. Really spooky girl. Haven't kept up like you have but what I've seen Love it when you get so busy you end up eating less. Whatever you're doing, boy is it working!

Well gals, so last night I was at a dinner party of a pal's whose mother and sister, who I've known forever, were visiting. What a feast. I passed up the chips, the potatoes, the carrots and the strawberry cheese cake, and had a delicious steak - 2 big pieces, and ceasar salad. But I did not, could not, pass up a buttered and broiled piece of baguette. OMG, it was so good, and somehow I stuck to just one. My love affair w/bread, evil as they say it is, will never be over.

All is well, my carb ct for the day was 34, 16 of that for that one slice of bread, but it was worth it. Calories weren't bad at about 1650, but I sure felt like I'd eaten more. Got on the scale this AM w/some trepidation, but I didn't gain or lose an ounce, and still hanging on to my whoosh. Not so bouncy this time. And that's good enough for me for today.

Hope everyone has a great one.
Great job at the party and see? You did no damage after all! Sub or hoagie rolls are my worst temptation...I can so relate to the baguette!

Quote:
Sounds like you did great the party Blue Skies. And sounds like we are having a pretty good weight loss week overall!

I am down another pound today, to 245.6, woot! TOM started yesterday and I'm down 2.4 lbs. since 2 days ago. At least it is good for something. Hopefully this sticks. Have been very hungry today, and know I should hold off, but I've been eating extra (LC) foods today as work is more stressful this week than I anticipated (I know, that was supposed to be over this past weekend! I forgot college students freak out after their final grades post, and they are stressing me out!)

SO FAR TODAY...
B - Atkins Advantage Shake
S - Atkins Day Break Shake, about 1.5 oz. peanuts
L - Atkins Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo meal

Dinner will probalby be buffalo chicken wings.

I'm already think about an Atkins bar for this afternoon, and I hardly ever eat those. I am like an Atkins poster child. Oh well, as long as the scale continues to move and I am eating LC I am not going to worry about it too much for now.
YOU ROCK!

Quote:
CONGRATS EVERYONE! LOSSES ON THE BOARD!!

Misti, the Dr. didn't care much about the weight loss? she blew past it and talked other stuff? geez, a little pat on the back would be nice I'll give ya one. you are doing great and keep up the good work.

I am up just a bit. expected it. bounce to 200.8. but it means I will be solid in the ONEderlands after today or tomorrow probably. Going to be super careful (but of course the stinking memorial day is here and we are party people, ugh) but I will do my best to lock in onderland and get this show on the road. I am doing very well.

google blood pressure. I know there are tons of natural things you can try to lower that a bit!! and if not too high, most times JUST going to the Dr. raises me up a few points anyway.

Blue good job on the party. all that stuff and you passed it by. COOL
You're doing such a great job! And you're right about the being up just a bit. It's not a big deal!
I have a doc appt next Tuesday and the blood work on Wednesday. That's making me behave myself too! LOL
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #947
Major LCF Poster!

Stynger---What you said here: "...and see? You did no damage after all!" Thanks, this really resonated w/me. I'm fierce as hell when I have a goal in mind, and I can get obsessive. I've tried so hard this time on the LC woe to be more gentle w/myself, and not let the OCD take over. You remind me of this w/your one sentence. Thank you.

Misti---took me a bit to respond to your experience at the Doctor's office. Hits really close to home. I hate that your doc rushed right past your weight loss, every pound gone so dearly fought for. And I understand your trepidation about being foisted on a new drug program due to a higher BP read. It's a big subject.

But one quick note. IIRC, you were taking Apple Cider Vinegar daily at a recent point. Don't know if you still are. But when you google to find natural remedies to high blood pressure, you'll find that ACV comes up top of the list w/many success stories on lowering BP. I tried it a year ago. It RAISED my blood pressure. Did if for three days, and took my BP religiously, thinking I couldn't be the exception to all those great testimonies of success. But I was. It flat out raised my blood pressure. Then I read deeper and deeper, and found I wasn't the only one. Natural is so great when it works, but it's a dicy balance between natural and doctor's orders. Again, BIG subject. I wish both of us luck w/it.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #948
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning everyone

Blue, you are more than welcome! When I read your post I could see myself in that situation and I kind of knew exactly how it felt. And when you've 'been good' for a long while and then eat something off plan you think you've really blown it. Sometimes we can make a misstep and it's just okay. And honestly, if it isn't, we can get back on the horse. I'm much like you and know how you feel
I'm wishing everyone a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. It's cold here, went down into the 40s overnight....not typical here near the beach even though I'm Delaware and not Florida. I don't remember it being this cold at the opening of summer season here in a long time.
My weight this morning is unchanged, and that's fine with me When I woke up I didn't feel smaller, if that makes sense. There are days I wake up and I just know I've lost. I was actually worried I had gained even some water weight. Much as I like the Dreamfields, I had a bit too much cheese with it and then as a snack by itself.

Haven't planned my menu yet for the day but I am hungry for a BBQ burger. I need to find LC BBQ sauce. I'll post the plan later or list it here after I've had it

This upcoming season is a double edged sword for me. Summer can mean lighter eating, cleaner, home grown, seafood and fish...but at the same time I can overdo things like fruit grown locally and that's only now in season. Nothing compares to local berries, etc. And watermelon? Don't even get me started LOL Last year I always had several containers of it cut up in the fridge all the time. It's like chips to me, I can't stop eating when I get started. I wasn't doing LC or weighing everyday so I don't know if it impacted me or not but I've read that it's not one of the best choices on LC.
Well, one more cup of coffee and I have to get this day started....

Keep up the GREAT work everyone! And don't get discouraged if people around you don't notice your successes or seem to understand just how hard this can be sometimes. It's work! But we should be doing this for US, each one of us. We may slip up from time to time but from what I've seen since I came to this group, we're made of some pretty tough stuff We're more powerful than we know. I think it's like the other facets of life....we take care of others way before we take care of ourselves...same goes with our food intake, health issues and all..... It's a learning thing. Thank you to all for being here and keeping me on the right road

Last edited by StyngerIsAScorpio; 05-25-2013 at 03:59 AM..
Old 05-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #949
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stynger I know that 'smaller feeling' when ya wake up. I like it alot

5 days on my moderate carb, limit calorie eating plan. I lost 3 lbs. Start was 203. this morning was 200. (darn it, ONEderland is right there!) I will get there

I have a party today at parents lakehouse. boating, swimming and all that. Brother and family coming down from NJ. drove in last night. Beer, BBQ and fun. Oh yea.
for every beer I drink, I will drink a big glass of water. best when ya match liquor with water. Will not eat snacks. Just some lower carb things like pepperoni, cheese and burger.

I'll let ya know how it all comes out tomorrow on the scale LOL if I don't change it will be a blessing

I love my eating plan. It is working. Just gotta stay the course as with all of us.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND TO EVERYONE! HAVE FUN, BUT NOT TOOOOOO MUCH
Old 05-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #950
Major LCF Poster!

Scale is up a bit today, not surprising becuase I feel like I ate a ton yesterday. However Wii Fit says I lost 1.1 lbs. since Sunday morning so I'll take it.

Blue Skies - funny about the ACV. I was taking it but then when my weight loss stopped moving a couple of weeks ago I stopped. I thought maybe the 3 or 4 extra carbs a day was doing more harm than good. I was thinking of starting again for the BP but I'll research it some more first, thanks for the warning. I went to get a vaccination at a different doc in January and bp was a bit high then too, so I don't think it is a fluke. OTOH, I'm not that worried about it. I have a book called "Big, Fat Lies" by Glenn Gaesser from years ago (it's been updated more recently I think) about weight and health. One of the things I remember is that research has shown that high bp in fat people has a much higher likelyhood of being benign than in a thin or normal weight person, simply becuase fat people have more blood volume and more blood vessels, so the pressure being higher is a function of getting the blood where it needs to go. I'll keep an eye on it and get a bp cuff for home perhaps, but I'm not going to freak out about it. I'm still waiting on other blood test results from my appointment. I also had thyroid, vit D, fasting glucose and insulin, and A1C done.

Stynger - I hear you about summer temptations. My DS (age 10) is overweight and he always does great in the spring and gains in the summer, I think because it is much less structured and there are lots of good foods readily available. This summer we are working to keep him where he's at. Last summer I think I did gain 3-4 lbs. myself to get to my starting weight. Lots of sales on Lay's potato chips did it for me. I could eat almost a whole bag of them for a snack at night. Won't be doing that this summer. I'll try to avoid most fruits too, but those will be a treat if I do have them.

Trigger - you are doing great, 3 lb.s in 5 days is fantastic. Have a great time at the party today.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #951
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Stynger I know that 'smaller feeling' when ya wake up. I like it alot

5 days on my moderate carb, limit calorie eating plan. I lost 3 lbs. Start was 203. this morning was 200. (darn it, ONEderland is right there!) I will get there

I have a party today at parents lakehouse. boating, swimming and all that. Brother and family coming down from NJ. drove in last night. Beer, BBQ and fun. Oh yea.
for every beer I drink, I will drink a big glass of water. best when ya match liquor with water. Will not eat snacks. Just some lower carb things like pepperoni, cheese and burger.

I'll let ya know how it all comes out tomorrow on the scale LOL if I don't change it will be a blessing

I love my eating plan. It is working. Just gotta stay the course as with all of us.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND TO EVERYONE! HAVE FUN, BUT NOT TOOOOOO MUCH

You really are doing so well Trigger! Have a wonderful time with your family time!

Quote:
Scale is up a bit today, not surprising becuase I feel like I ate a ton yesterday. However Wii Fit says I lost 1.1 lbs. since Sunday morning so I'll take it.

Blue Skies - funny about the ACV. I was taking it but then when my weight loss stopped moving a couple of weeks ago I stopped. I thought maybe the 3 or 4 extra carbs a day was doing more harm than good. I was thinking of starting again for the BP but I'll research it some more first, thanks for the warning. I went to get a vaccination at a different doc in January and bp was a bit high then too, so I don't think it is a fluke. OTOH, I'm not that worried about it. I have a book called "Big, Fat Lies" by Glenn Gaesser from years ago (it's been updated more recently I think) about weight and health. One of the things I remember is that research has shown that high bp in fat people has a much higher likelyhood of being benign than in a thin or normal weight person, simply becuase fat people have more blood volume and more blood vessels, so the pressure being higher is a function of getting the blood where it needs to go. I'll keep an eye on it and get a bp cuff for home perhaps, but I'm not going to freak out about it. I'm still waiting on other blood test results from my appointment. I also had thyroid, vit D, fasting glucose and insulin, and A1C done.

Stynger - I hear you about summer temptations. My DS (age 10) is overweight and he always does great in the spring and gains in the summer, I think because it is much less structured and there are lots of good foods readily available. This summer we are working to keep him where he's at. Last summer I think I did gain 3-4 lbs. myself to get to my starting weight. Lots of sales on Lay's potato chips did it for me. I could eat almost a whole bag of them for a snack at night. Won't be doing that this summer. I'll try to avoid most fruits too, but those will be a treat if I do have them.

Trigger - you are doing great, 3 lb.s in 5 days is fantastic. Have a great time at the party today.

Have a great weekend everyone!
I'll be having my BP checked on Tuesday..It's a long and boring story but two of my docs have been getting grossly different readings for the past year. Now they are in the same office and I pointed it out...They didn't like it much. The primary now wants me on meds if it's still up on Tuesday. She isn't going to like that I held off on my blood work either. Oh well, it's my body I wanted a few weeks on LC to get my baseline blood stats.

I got the ingredients together to make the LC BBQ sauce recipe I found here on LCF. I'll be making that today, as well as LC versions of coleslaw and broccoli salad with bacon.
I've never had a Memorial Day weekend that started with me wanting to get under cozy covers LOL
The grocery store wasn't slammed as I expected it would be...not many people are stocking up for cookouts or trips to the beach. Weird weather we're having.
Okay all, I'm off to do some LC mucksing in the kitchen
Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #952
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger ---Woweeeee, girl. 3 lbs gone! That's so great. I was thinking about your woe and how it's kind of like I envision doing maintenance when I get there. I'd like to be at about 50-70 carbs a day at some point. When I tell folks in the non LC world I'm doing an average of 30 carbs a day they are quite surprised at how low that is, including my brother who's a Doc and believes in LC, but like all Docs, he prefers the SB diet---I think because they all perceive it as more balanced. But this is working for me/and it's doable. When I get to goal I will slowly add back in and see what my limits are. There's a gal on the board here who's lost a lot of weight and now maintains at 70 carbs a day.

Stygner---Oh, I SO know that wonderful feeling when you wake up and just know there's less of you. Had just that the mornings of my recent whoosh. Also, on the BBQ sauce, I'll be interested to hear how your homemade turns out. I found some at the grocery store, Ken's, that's just 2 carbs per tablespoon. It's not bad. I hear from lots of folks here that Guy's BBQ sauce from netrition is fantastic, and it comes in 4 flavors, including spicy and garlic. I'm going to order some today as my hubby loves to make ribs and I love to eat 'em. It's very cool and cloudy here too in Minnesota. Worst spring ever! It snowed all through April and has been rainy and cool most of May. But today it's OK w/me, giving me that cozy feeling.

Misti--- That book Big Fat Lies sounds very interesting. I'm going to check it out.

Yesterday turned out to be a good LC day, after a close call. I work out of my home, but Wed. and Friday are always on site and out to lunch days w/clients. They wanted to go to a Chinese buffet for lunch, so off we went. Best choice I had was coconut shrimp, spicy green beans and cucumber salad. The Shrimp "looked" lightly breaded, so I thought not so bad. But holy moly, when I bit into the first one I saw that it was super duper breaded. Pulled off all the breading to reveal the tiniest little shrimp you ever saw. So I stuck w/the beans and cucumbers.

Stynger ---For dinner I made the LC pizza again, but I'm having trouble w/it sticking, can't flip it to get it browned on both sides the way the recipe calls for, and I think would be much better. Do you flip yours? If so, how do you get it to not stick? I've oiled the pan once w/coconut oil and once w/pam. Neither worked. Maybe I need more oil or perhaps my oven is too hot?

I'm going to snack through the day, pepperoni chips, an artichoke, maybe some left over steak. Don't know what I'll do for dinner, we'll see. We have a low key quiet weekend planned and I'm so happy about it. Really need some down time.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #953
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue, I had read posts where people were having trouble with the pizza sticking so I made sure to really spray my cookie sheet well with Pam, in fact it's off brand so I was worried. But it didn't stick. I just coaxed it once it really started cooking. As soon as it was nice and brown enough to suit me, I took it out of the oven and immediately ran my spatula under it to keep it from sticking as it cooled. I did that several times as it cooled. I was sure I'd have a problem because my cookie sheets are old and well used, not new and not nonstick. Maybe scooting your spatula under it as soon as it looks set in the oven might help? That's the only idea I have.

This day has been weird It's so chilly and windy, not feeling like the kickstart to summer for sure.

My food today has been 3 chicken tenders, avocado, iced tea and cheese.
I ended up taking a nap so I haven't even made dinner yet. I made the LC BBQ sauce and it's in the fridge. I'll be up for hours now so I'm going to make a cheeseburger with the sauce on it. It tasted pretty good even before I chilled it so I think I'll be happy with it.

I've been having HUGE success with a few recipes I've tried from here lately and that's helped stay on plan.

I'll report back on the BBQ sauce later
I hope you all are having a great weekend!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #954
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, the verdict is on the LC BBQ Sauce....It's DA BOMB
It's much thinner than I'm used to but it tastes great! I just made a cheeseburger and topped it with it and I love it. I followed the recipe and just backed off of the vinegar a tad and I also sautéed 1/3 of an onion and added that to it while it was cooking. YUM. It totally took care of my BBQ sauce craving. I'm used to the really thick, really sweet varieties and this worked! From the Banana Split Dessert Low Carb, the Pizza Crust and now this, I'm totally impressed with these versions.
Now, it's off to bed!
Hugs!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #955
Major LCF Poster!

The BBQ sauce sounds good Stynger! I like Guy's but DS thought even the regular was too "spicy". He likes thick and sweet too - so the recipe you tried might fit the bill. Can you link to it or tell me the name of the recipe?

Blue Skies - well, I decided to try ACV for a week and a half until the appt. at my internal med doc on June 4. I figure if it goes up before my appt. with the new doc I can stop then and easily show "improvement". I also started some fish oil.

I also did a bit of research and a suspicion that I have (and even mentioned to my gyn) of the uneven fat distribution on my arm causing problems with the blood pressure reading is correct. It's fairly well known that obese individuals have "conical" shaped arms which are much larger near the upper arm than the elbow which can cause higher blood pressure readings. Also there are "best practices" for taking bp such as sitting for 3-5 minutes, having arm supported at height of heart, and not speaking or being spoken to during the test. None of these are followed at the doctors I go to. At least when they had to listen for the bp they couldn't talk. Now that it is automated the medical assistant always wants to ask questions during the test. I am going to bring a print out and hand it to them next time and ask them to follow the guidelines. Of course doing that will probably raise my bp!

Down a tad to 246 even today. Bought some NY Strip steaks. Hopefully we'll have a break in the rain today or tomorrow and can actually grill them outside!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #956
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The BBQ sauce sounds good Stynger! I like Guy's but DS thought even the regular was too "spicy". He likes thick and sweet too - so the recipe you tried might fit the bill. Can you link to it or tell me the name of the recipe?

Blue Skies - well, I decided to try ACV for a week and a half until the appt. at my internal med doc on June 4. I figure if it goes up before my appt. with the new doc I can stop then and easily show "improvement". I also started some fish oil.

I also did a bit of research and a suspicion that I have (and even mentioned to my gyn) of the uneven fat distribution on my arm causing problems with the blood pressure reading is correct. It's fairly well known that obese individuals have "conical" shaped arms which are much larger near the upper arm than the elbow which can cause higher blood pressure readings. Also there are "best practices" for taking bp such as sitting for 3-5 minutes, having arm supported at height of heart, and not speaking or being spoken to during the test. None of these are followed at the doctors I go to. At least when they had to listen for the bp they couldn't talk. Now that it is automated the medical assistant always wants to ask questions during the test. I am going to bring a print out and hand it to them next time and ask them to follow the guidelines. Of course doing that will probably raise my bp!

Down a tad to 246 even today. Bought some NY Strip steaks. Hopefully we'll have a break in the rain today or tomorrow and can actually grill them outside!

Here is the recipe from a post by Beeb:

From Blood Sugar 101................THANKS!!

Indispensable Almost No Carb Barbecue Sauce
This isn't a substitute for the "real thing," it's an improvement. It's so good the rest of the family gobbles it up and I have to keep making more.

3/8 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that has spices or flavorings in it!
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce (the chicken wing sauce)
3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back to sauce in pan.

Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories.

It is much thinner than what I normally use but it tastes so good! If I was inclined to do it, I could try to add some Xanthan gum but honestly I don't miss the thickness with as much as I enjoy the flavor.

Regarding the BP....I'm an RN and it's standard practice to use a larger, wider cuff for anyone with larger arms....I have been battling this issue with my last three doctors and it makes me so angry and worried.
Doc 1: office nurse clearly wasn't getting the right reading.
I asked about it, made them recheck it by different nurses and the nurse practicitioner....
I made a change in docs....

Next: I chose a new primary. Nurse practitioner. Long story but said my bp was elevated. Thanks to her nurse assist overirrigating my ears I ended up in the hospital with what turned out to be (MANY months later they figured it out)...a vestibular issue that makes me feel as if I'm going to pass out or actually die...good thing was they gave me a chemical stress test which I passed just fine.....
This NP has a DIL who is a DO....who I see as my sleep specialist....
Every time I see the NP my bp is high. On my visits with the DO, who takes my pressure herself, not a staff nurse, it's PERFECT...ok.....
So, I have personality issues with the NP and wanted to change to the DO and have her be my primary doc and my sleep doc...Seems the NP moved into the same practice now as her DIL/doc.....
Now all of a sudden, the nurse at the sleep doc's office takes my pressure and it's high...the sleep doc is concerned. I asked her why for the past year when I have it checked at her mother in law's practice it's high, but when I had my sleep visits, and the sleep doc herself checked it, its fine...She was not happy with me. Clearly, common sense tells you that the sleep doc was not taking it the right way.
So now that she is both my primary and my sleep doc, she says that if it's still running high next visit she wants me on meds...
So on the 14th of May I went back to LC. I want to be at the best baseline I can be on my next visit. I have to have bloodwork done too which I have postponed to give myself more time on the LC plan.
I see her on the 28th. She's not going to be happy. She thinks it's a primary visit and I will have had the blood work done. I intentionally rearranged it to a sleep visit where she can read the data card, etc but not be a primary visit.
I'll get the blood work done that day, after the visit and then go back to her as a primary on the 5th.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share how hard it can be to have to truly manage your own healthcare even with doctors and nurses involved.
I am in charge of this now. I know that they haven't been taking my blood pressure readings correctly in two different practices. I FEEL your pain.

Oh and my weight it is unchanged today

Last edited by StyngerIsAScorpio; 05-26-2013 at 06:55 AM..
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #957
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the recipe Stynger! I think I may have all the ingredients on hand, if I bought liquid smoke the last time I thought about it. I'm not sure about that though, I'll need to check. I do have everything else and several LC thickeners if I need them.

Sorry you are having so many issues with your health care providers! You would think it would help that you are an RN yourself? Or is it worse because they think you should agree with them? I am going to bring some articles I found, including some medical research articles, with info about blood pressure readings in obese patients. I'm sure I'll end up being "that patient" as I will not go on bp medication anytime soon, and even then only if I am satisfied that the readings they are getting are correct.

On the plus side I did walk for 20 minutes last night. I am trying to start slow as last time I exercised in February I gained 5 lbs. in one weekend as I overdid it. Scale is ok so far, so I'll try another 20 min today.

Rain stopped for a bit now it has started up again. Not looking good for steaks today.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #958
Major LCF Poster!

So much interesting stuff here this morning!

Misti, good luck w/the ACV, hope it works for you. I take fish oil now too. As well as magnesium, which you were the first to tell me about in answer to regularity. It works great, and I'm amazed at what a good sleep aid it is. Also, I noticed on another thread that you're reading "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living." I got it yesterday and am so enjoying reading it. I find it so inspiring and re-enforcing.

Stynger --- Heh. I'm putting my physical/blood tests off too, to give me more time to bring down my blood sugar and lose weight. Last time I was at the docs she wanted to put me on meds for it. I decided to try to do it myself first. That's what got me on this LC woe too. Reading "The Art and Science..." one of the first things made clear is that it's better to treat Diabetes 2 w/diet than meds, if possible. One of my best pals is an RN too and commented that all of a sudden everybody has Diabetes 2 and is being referred to meds---20 years ago no one talked about "Diabetes 2," which is the hot new diagnosis w/hot new drugs to go w/it. Diabetes 2 is primarily a problem of lifestyle, and I believe should be fixed by changing the lifestyle, again, if possible. Instead pills get handed out like candy and mask the need to lose weight and eat better.

So we all have much in common here. LOL, I'm thinking you, Misti and me are not a doctor's easiest patients.

The BBQ sauce sounds fantastic, the list of ingredients made my mouth water. I've put the recipe in my LC folder. Still ordering some Guy's though, as Misti's comment that it was a bit spicy will make it perfect for me. I like it hot.

The weekend continues cool and cloudy, and even though I should be hating it, I'm kind of loving it. Yesterday was so nice, took a long walk w/my neighbor, got cozy w/my book on the sofa, and then watched a good movie w/hubby. Snacked my way through the day, all good except for the pepperoni chips. First time I've tried 'em, don't like 'em.
Otherwise had an artichoke w/butter and lemon mayo, which I LOVE. Made a delishy steak salad for dinner w/my homemade French dressing w/is just so good, if I do say so.

Steak and eggs for breakfast, will have an artichoke for lunch. Then my mom comes for a pork tenderloin dinner, AND rhubarb pie. My husband is the king of making rhubarb pies and we have a huge patch in our garden. Oh dear. So my plan is to eat very LC all day, through dinner, and then have a very thin slice. I won't be doing this every time he makes it, but it's the first rhubarb pie of the season and I'm going to enjoy a taste, because not doing that would hit my deprivation bone. Hard.

Off to cozy up and read. Hope you all have a lovely day.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #959
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
On the plus side I did walk for 20 minutes last night. I am trying to start slow as last time I exercised in February I gained 5 lbs. in one weekend as I overdid it. Scale is ok so far, so I'll try another 20 min today.
Misti --- I too took a walk yesterday for the first time in too long. It felt good because I didn't worry about if my heart rate was up, how far I had to go, or if I was burning calories.

I lost almost 60 pounds a couple of years ago by working out 6 days a week, an hour a day. I was never and will never be that "buff" again. The problem was, I didn't enjoy doing it enough to sustain it. I wish it weren't true, but exercise bores me. If you could lose calories reading, I'd be Olive Oil trying to put ON weight. And of course, when I fell off the exercise wagon, I regained the weight because my diet was full of carbs, which was ok when I was working out like crazy.

Now I'm thinking, just take a little walk. Look around. Go at the pace you want. Turn back for home when you want. Under these circumstances, I might discover I like to walk!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #960
Major LCF Poster!

Maybe we should be walking buds Blue Skies! I also want to add some weights/resistance training. I had a "health coach" from work email me to set up an appointment based on a health and wellness survey I took. On the survey I said I wanted help with exercise but not diet! So we'll see what they have to say.
Closed Thread