Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #751
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I WANT TO RANT AND RANT I AM GOING TO DO

What is it with clothing sizes?

after eating we stopped at the store to get kiddo some flip flops for our vacation coming up end of May.

tried on some capri pants and shorts.

I am wearing 14s now and they are ok. bit tight but wearable. 12s will be coming if I can drop a bit more.

But I tried on 14W----HUGE
I tried on 14W shorts---I couldn't get them over my knees almost
tried 16 shorts---got them on but tight????? huh

14 Gloria Vanderbilt capri pants. HUGE
Size 12 Gloria HUGE but almost buyable. but if I lose more will be loose very fast
Size 10 Gloria---couldn't get them over my knees almost

I tell ya shopping used to be fun when sizes were real. Now sizes are a mess. No telling what size is what on the manufacturer or whatever.

It isn't fun anymore. I tried those few things, hubby said try more and I said I am sick of it. no way. no thanks and forget it

sweat pants---and will use rope and safety pins til I get to my desired size then shop and put up wtih the size BS then. heehee

I don't know. It hit me wrong. I expected to have a bit of fun with new sizes and clothes and all it did was annoy the heck out of me

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #752
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I WANT TO RANT AND RANT I AM GOING TO DO

What is it with clothing sizes?

after eating we stopped at the store to get kiddo some flip flops for our vacation coming up end of May.

tried on some capri pants and shorts.

I am wearing 14s now and they are ok. bit tight but wearable. 12s will be coming if I can drop a bit more.

But I tried on 14W----HUGE
I tried on 14W shorts---I couldn't get them over my knees almost
tried 16 shorts---got them on but tight????? huh

14 Gloria Vanderbilt capri pants. HUGE
Size 12 Gloria HUGE but almost buyable. but if I lose more will be loose very fast
Size 10 Gloria---couldn't get them over my knees almost

I tell ya shopping used to be fun when sizes were real. Now sizes are a mess. No telling what size is what on the manufacturer or whatever.

It isn't fun anymore. I tried those few things, hubby said try more and I said I am sick of it. no way. no thanks and forget it

sweat pants---and will use rope and safety pins til I get to my desired size then shop and put up wtih the size BS then. heehee

I don't know. It hit me wrong. I expected to have a bit of fun with new sizes and clothes and all it did was annoy the heck out of me

Boy, do I get what you're saying Trigger. I would honestly rather have a root canal than shop for pants of any kind---as least with the root canal you get gas to ease the pain. And boy is it painful to stand in those tiny neon lit dressing rooms and try to squeeze into pants, praying one of them won't make you look like a stuffed sausage.

Men's sizing is so much more consistent. Women's sizing is all over the map.
I've found a couple of brands that are more likely to fit me, but that changes too. One thing I've learned to do is when I finally find a basic pair of pants, capris or jeans that look good on me, I buy a couple pairs.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #753
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
Hope everyone is having a great day. Mine is going well.I am happy to report I weighed this morning and I was down 2 pounds. Not much, but I will take it. See you all later.
That's great, Jaded. To me a 2 lb drop is a lot and here's how I look when it happens.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #754
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
Wow - that's great that a restaurant had cauli mashed potatoes! I wish more would do that. Would be a great option at Red Lobster with all of the seafood and cauli mashed - mmm!!
Yep, I could hardly believe it when I read it on the menu. It's a pretty trendy restaurant, so maybe it's a sign of things to come. Sure hope so.

I was all set to say screw it and take a treat night as a reward for getting through my bad day. But I said to myself, why take a treat night when a yummy low carb dinner is here to be had? And I don't have to make it. And they'll serve it to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #755
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
One thing I've learned to do is when I finally find a basic pair of pants, capris or jeans that look good on me, I buy a couple pairs.
Man ain't that the truth. I am the same way
BUT when I find a good brand and fit, I never just pull the same size off the rack...I been fooled like that also. I try everything on before I pay
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #756
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
hey Adou, where are ya?

Is all OK? been thinking about ya since I jumped on JUDDD

and KIM---where are ya?

guys pop in and chat a bit and let us know all is good !!
Im around Dh brother in hospital this week, was critical for awhile ,didn't expect him to make it but he is improving now.Thank God.Fell off plan with the stress of it,but back on now. Saw you and Nanner on the JUDDD board today.Yay!!!Also SAW you got in onederland!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #757
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Blue skies - being served and not making it yourself makes it taste all the better!!

Kimberli - so sorry about your DH brother - hope he gets better soon!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #758
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Kim that is rough. being told someone might not make it is very very stressful. so happy he is improving now. I missed ya chatting with us
You hang in there and prayers to your family that everything comes out OK!!!!

yea I jumped onto JUDDD. I wanted a bit more freedom on the UP day and so far I can handle the down day. Very very new so will see where this takes me. seems encouraging with so many JUDDDers doing it and losing so I hope I get the benefits of this also. time will tell if it is for me.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Kim - Very sorry to hear about your BIL! I hope he recovers quickly.

Jaded - great loss, congrats!

Trigger - I have avoided clothing shopping so far and I can say I'm really not looking forward to it. I think I will need some new work pants for summer. I used to be able to shop at only one store (Catherine's) - I was too big even for "regular" plus size stores like Lane Bryant and Fashion Bug. I should have many more choices soon, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Blue Skies - cool restaurant experience! I hear you on the weather. No snow here but I am ready for spring! Or summer at this point!

Nanner and Trigger - glad JUDDD is working well for you so far!

I'm doing well, about 248.4 right now. Definitely would like to make 240 this month, or even lower!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #760

Wow, Misti - you're doing great!!

Jaded, 2 lb is a great loss - congrats!!
Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #761
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
Does anyone here juice? Like with a juicer or blender?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #762
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WHOA
HOLD THE PHONE

last night I had a snack attack. It wasn't pretty.

When I mess with a plan change this happens. I have that day where I go nuts and eat the world.
I did that late last night.

OK---up on the scale but today is a DOWN day so it should come of very easy.

but yikes. I gotta plan out foods better and not let this happen again.

I ended up skipping dinner cause I wasn't hungry and WHAMMO...late last night I jumped on all my kiddos junk stash.

man oh man some days are just stinking rough!!!

Hope everyone else had a good day yesterday. Me, I blew it big time but since today is a new day, I will move past last night and focus on the future and more weight coming off the scale.

Nanner---how was your down day? Hope it gave you some good results!!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #763

Sunday - 237 - started JUDDD with a mid-day (first time eating carby foods for 6 weeks)
Monday - 239.5 - down day
Tuesday - 237 - up day
Wednesday - 237 - down day
Thursday - 235.5 - up day today
Friday - 235.5 - down day
Saturday - 233 - up day!!

20 lb gone - hallelujah!! Now to get into the 220's!

Trigger - I hear ya on the late night snacking - tough to control. I'm trying my darndest not to eat after 8:00 now on JUDDD and so far so good. I've bought some 0 calorie fruit waters that are really good (Glaceau - brand new) and some sugar-free puddings that are 70 calories and are really good for snacking. Hopefully your DD brings you a nice loss!

Bye-bye 240's - 04/05/2013
230's - 05/12/2013
220's -
210's -
200!! -
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #764
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Today I'm going to pick up some more Miralex. Did you guys ever suffer from constipation when you were on the Low Carb woe? I have, continuously. And I drink tons of water. Miralex usually works for me, very gentle, not a laxative. I think I may have to stock up and use it every day, which is safe with this product.
I haven't used Miralax myself, but I was having issues until I started taking magnesium. I take 500 mg magnesium citrate a day before bed and it seems to do the trick. I don't "go" every day but every 2-3 days, but I have no problems when it does come out! Before I started the magnesium I used docusate sodium (generic of Colace), a stool softener, occassionally. My mother who used to be a nurse said they give it out in nursing homes she's worked at like candy, so I think it is very safe.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #765
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nanner your stats are sweet. It is working for you.

I can not believe I did this to myself. Now I have to fight the same stinking pounds off again. I got that hamster on a wheel feeling and despise it big time!

That is great idea on the pudding and fruit water.

I realize now I can eat some regular foods but when it comes to any snacking I must have sugar free, low cal stuff to jump on because if not I will definitely be eating high cal. and hi carb junk. believe me I can eat alot of it at one time

just finished 4 oz chicken with bit of cajun seasoning for spice
salad of lettuce, cuke, radish and bit of ranch

I am going to drop off this little junk food gain and I decided to commit now very hard to being smart and attacking JUDDD with vigor.

I am just wishy washy lately. tired of it all. but if I get tired of it I lose big time (and that ain't losing weight, it is gaining weight )
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #766
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---You're right, today is another day. You know, I did some research on JUDD because I wanted to know more about it. From what I read, including the comments on the threads, it seems like most people find their UP days harder than their down days because of the "eat what you want up to this many calories" part of it. That's a big open door, and maybe comes w/more temptations?

Nanner - Yay for you! Down 4 pounds! Seems to be working for you. Onward and downward! LOL, only here would that be a good wish for you.

Misti--Thanks for the tip on Magnesium citrate. I'm going to pick some up. Miralex is VERY gentle and kind of slow but eventually it works. I think too, I have to get used to the idea I'm not going to go like I used to as many on Low Carb report that. However, I can feel that I'm stopped up, so hopefully I can get back on track here. I'm stuck on the scale, and I think some of it is because of this, as I've stayed on plan very well in the last weeks with calories and carbs.

Tonight we're going to friends' for dinner, no idea what will be served, so I'm calling it a treat night. Which is fine as I haven't had a treat night in awhile and often for me, that breaks a stall. But I will keep my carbs very low or not at all for the day till we go.

Have a good day gals!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #767

DD are definitely easier because you tell yourself you just need to get through the day and you can handle 1 day. I sit and fantasize about what I'll eat the next day - doughnuts, pizza, candy, etc, but then the UD comes, and I don't want to spend so many calories on a doughnut or a candy bar, so, like today, I bought doughnuts (3) and had one bite and left the rest for my son and DH. If I want chocolate, I buy the single Reese's PB cups and have 1 for 80 calories. I'm never going to give up unhealthy foods forever, I know that, but my goal is to eat them in low moderation. The other UD, I bought a 20 oz bottle of Mountain Dew and had 1 glassful, not even the whole bottle, about 2/3, and then left the rest. I used to drink a 2 liter every couple of days.

If you have Netflix, watch Hungry for Change - a documentary about the food industry. Really opened my eyes to such things as pop, diet pop, aspartame, MSG, high fructose corn syrup, etc. It was very interesting. Now, I'd like to get my son off pop - the rest of us are pretty good, and he's been having me buy Power Ade now instead of pop.

I agree that mag citrate is great to get you moving. I never knew there were pills, have always bought the liquid, which is a little tough to get down. I'll be looking for the pills definitely!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #768
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Trigger---, it seems like most people find their UP days harder than their down days because of the "eat what you want up to this many calories" part of it. That's a big open door, and maybe comes w/more temptations?

Blue I think you hit the nail on the head. The BIG OPEN DOOR. I will close that door.

I plan down days to the exact calories. The 2 UP days I roamed free. I mean, around 1900 calories, I figured I didn't need to really 'plan and count the day to exact cals'---but I DO!

DUH---I need to plan my UP days as much as I do my down days.

You helped me on that one for sure! THANKS

No idea what will be served? LOL that would worry me but I know you can find some LC thru any meal. Enjoy!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #769

Quote:
Blue I think you hit the nail on the head. The BIG OPEN DOOR. I will close that door.

I plan down days to the exact calories. The 2 UP days I roamed free. I mean, around 1900 calories, I figured I didn't need to really 'plan and count the day to exact cals'---but I DO!

DUH---I need to plan my UP days as much as I do my down days.

You helped me on that one for sure! THANKS

No idea what will be served? LOL that would worry me but I know you can find some LC thru any meal. Enjoy!
Trigger - do you use a food tracker? They're kind of a pain, but they do help in keeping track.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #770
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes I used one when I first started atkins before.
then I dropped it.

but now I realize I gotta bring it back.....and fast
Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Hope all is going well today for everyone !!! Thank You for the cheers for my weight loss this week. I appreciate it from all of you !!!! I am having a bit of an up day on carbs myself today. It is raining and cool. Makes me snacky. I am going to watch a movie maybe that will help. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #772
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Down day for JUDDD for me today.

time to get a handle on it.

will track all calories on UP and DOWN days.

Told hubby no more eating out for at least 10 days. I need to find some control and a good eating schedule again.

He agreed

Went Japanese last night. Ate low, but sodium got me again.

No weigh this morning. not bothering. Gonna eat clean for a few days then see where I stand and attack the old scale more and more.

summer is coming. It is a motivator to get some lbs off

EVERYONE hang in there.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #773

Another down day, Trigger? Good luck!

Had a bounce after my UD yesterday to 235.5 from 233. Will just have to see what happens tomorrow after my DD today - hopefully will be back to 233 or lower!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #774
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger --- glad you're tracking your food. I just track my carbs and my calories, nothing fancy, I just keep it in a folder on my desktop and try to record as I eat, but always catch up w/it at the end of the day. At first I wasn't doing this, and I've found it makes a big difference when I have to report in to myself and write it all down. And I think it tells us what's worth eating and what's not. Sometimes I look at the list after a day and think, well, I could have done without that.

Nanner---Good to see you have a nice patient attitude about JUDDD. Seems to me this woe could very well involve a bit of bouncing up and down.

Last night I had to face my tracker w/some big numbers to report, which was ok because I had planed a treat night due to eating at a friend's.

She served white chili, not so bad, but then out came the corn bread. Do you know that one piece of gorgeous warm cornbread is 25 grams?! I had two. And slathered them with butter and honey. Then I had two frozen eclair balls for dessert. I figured somewhere around 90 to 100 grams for the day, which is by far the highest I've gone in weeks. But best I could figure, my calories came in on plan.

It was delish and I'm fine with it. No gain this morning---but then, no loss either. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I used to eat between 250 and 300 carbs a day, easy. Today will be a very low carb day, as the deal I make w/myself for any treat day is jumping right back on plan and how!

Good Sunday to us all.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #775
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yea Nanner. I need to clean out my system today after eating out last night.

I am oddly ok.

had a bit of tuna earlier
jsut finished 1/4 cup of blueberry and raspberry

and sucking down a zero vitamin water

I feel fine. not hungry or anything. So that helps alot.

Fingers crossed you have a drop because I am so curious about how it is working for you and the pattern of weight loss!

Your dinner sounds good Blue. You did well thru that. and that is considerd a low carb day by many so good job!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 05-05-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #776

I hope I have a drop too because it's my weigh-in day on Facebook tomorrow! I post my losses there to keep me accountable. I used to go to Weight Watchers, and I loved having that weigh in each week because it kept me going when I knew others were seeing what I was losing. Now, the closest WW meetings are 1/2 hour away, so I haven't been able to go for the weigh ins, so I decided to make it public on FB. It gives me the added boost as I feel that people I know and see every day are watching me to see if I continue or fail, and I don't want to fail, so I keep going and keep trying. Does that make sense??

Anyhow, I actually did already have a drop this week, so it won't be too traumatic if I don't get below 233 - I will still count it as a 1.5 drop for the week. Would love it if it were more but okay if it isn't.

Well, now we'll be on the same down days! Hope it goes well for you today (and me!). I have to go to daughter's volleyball tourney today so at least I'll be out of the house.

Blue - that dinner does sound delish - especially the corn bread!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #777
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh that little bit of support and knowing you have people checking on you is a good motivator to keep losing. shows you are accomplishing what you set out to do!

One thing I noticed on JUDDD is many say the weight doesn't drop off at record speed, but honestly no plan gives that all the time. What we eat on UP days will be super important to how we lose (duh I finally am getting that lol)

out of the house is good. being busy is good----I hope she WINS!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #778

Quote:
oh that little bit of support and knowing you have people checking on you is a good motivator to keep losing. shows you are accomplishing what you set out to do!

One thing I noticed on JUDDD is many say the weight doesn't drop off at record speed, but honestly no plan gives that all the time. What we eat on UP days will be super important to how we lose (duh I finally am getting that lol)

out of the house is good. being busy is good----I hope she WINS!!!
Oh yeah! They won the championship!!

I don't think it drops quickly either, but I'll be happy with 1-2 lb a week at this point.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
Oh yeah! They won the championship!!

I don't think it drops quickly either, but I'll be happy with 1-2 lb a week at this point.
Three cheers for your daughter's team! I love that girls are so involved in sports these days, sure wasn't true when I was coming up.

And you know nanner, I think a one to 2 lb loss of weight a week is excellent and healthy. I'm lucky if I get a 1 lb loss THAT STICKS every two weeks. As long as it's onward and downward.

Well gals, I didn't do quite as well on the carbs as I hoped to do today, but not bad. My mother is recently out of 2 months in the hospital and convalescent home after knee surgery and complications of. So we made her a special dinner tonight.

The Barefoot contessa's lemon stuffed roast chicken w/bacon, and gravy---which btw, calls for NO flour, and is just so darn delicious. I made Almond bread muffins for the first time, because I wanted something to soak up the juices, no potatoes for me. Buttered and broiled them before serving them, and they were perfect in this capacity. Did have two small carrots and a half of one of the caramelized onions in the roast. The whole dinner was great, and my mom was in heaven. It was a lovely celebration, and I really enjoyed her company and the food.

So today I come in at about 36 grams of carbs---if I have a cream soda as a snack before bed, and right in under the wire for my calorie count.

Not bad at all, and you gotta live, gotta enjoy, gotta celebrate, and food is a big part of how we do that all.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #780

Here's the winning team! My daughter is the darkest-haired girl in the back behind the gal without the ball.

Closed Thread